The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1937-1944HaverhillEcho.html newspaper archive

June 12th 1937

Arlington Motor Company have acquired the premises of the former Sudbury brewery owned by Greene King. The Sudbury branch will make it seven opened by the company who's turnover is £ 600, 000 per annum.

June 19th 1937

Mr T.B.Chinery of Erith in Kent as an old member of Cavendish Cricket Club has presented them with a photograph of the Cavendish team taken in 1872

J.S.Page is amongst the group as scorer.
This will be an interesting addition to the picture gallery in the pavilion.

July 17th 1937

At Haverhill lamb sale Mr A.V.C.Lambert of Foxearth Hall headed the sale with 75s for ewe and wether lambs. Mr J.P.Brand from Brook Hall, Foxearth, sold 300 lambs at prices ranging from 20s to 74s.
R.T.B.Payne of Borley sold 130 lambs at an average of 68s.

September 18th 1937

Edward Lock a well known Sudbury boxer was charged with being drunk and disorderly. P.C.Saunders said he was called to the Bull corner, Cross Street, and saw Lock in a fighting attitude in shirt sleeves and drunk, there was a crowd of 40 to 50 people watching. Fined £ 2.

January 15th 1938

Funeral at Belchamp Otten of the Rev Harry Piper Parmenter, Rector of this parish for 38 years. He had been curate at Hamner, Flintshire, in 1876-80 and at Middleton, Essex, in 1889-90, at Braintree from 1891-99 and then to Belchamp Otten till May 14th 1937.
He was a bachelor.

May 14th 1938

A verdict of Death by Misadventure with a rider that the East Anglian Electricty Company's attention be drawn to the fact that the wires were lower than they should have been according to the regulations. This was the verdict at the inquest that was held at Cavendish George Hotel on Richard Wells a small holder of Poole Street Cavendish who was killed as a result of receiving an electric shock in the village pond. Alfred Waters, licensee of the George Hotel said he was standing outside the Hotel at about 3-30pm on Wednesday and saw a lorry approaching from the direction of Glemsford laden with baled clover, when the lorry got to the electric cable that were stretched across the road from a post near the pond to Cranfield House, he saw one of them drop to the edge of the pond, the cable snaked from the house and rolled up in a coil to the other side of the road, the lorry appeared to be halfway under the cable when it came away from the house, the lorry did not stop and the driver seemed unaware of what had happened. Wells was coming from the same direction as the lorry with a horse and tumbril. The horse went into the water and its feet became entangled with the wire and the animal fell back into the water. Wells got from the back of the tumbril and went to assist the horse. The wire which was hanging down from the pole to the to the water was clasped by Wells who fell back still cluthching the wire. Witness shouted dont touch the wire but a strong wind was blowing and Wells did not hear him. The lorry was the highest he had seen loaded and was neatly stacked. Continued next page.
Edward Henry Creane of High Street Cavendish said he was standing near the Bull Hotel when he saw the horse go down in the pond, he ran to the spot and found Wells lying on his back about four yards into the pond holding the wire. Witness went into the pond and took hold of Wells' coat and found " he had a terrible job" to get away from it on account of electrict current. P.C.Copsey said he arrived on the scene in a few minutes after the accident and the horse was dead in the pond and Wells beside it. Wells was holding a copper wire in his right hand, the current had been cut off and Wells was removed to the George Hotel where P.S.Bugg and P.C.Keeley tried artificial respiration until 6 pm and Dr Cato and Dr Ritchie administered oxygen. Charles Snowden a mains foreman for Eastern Electric said he was following the lorry and saw the vehicle break the wire and seeing the horse and man in the water, had the main service cut off. William George Porlain of Buckhurst Hill, Essex, the driver of the lorry said he was laden with 120 trusses of clover. He passed through Cavendish and noticed nothing unusual, the first he knew of the occurrence was when the Metropolitan Police sent for him late at night, he examined the lorry afterwards at the police station and noticed nothing unusual about it. Witness said he saw the wire at the top of the street and drove in the middle of the road to make sure he averted it as he was nervous about the wire and had spoken to other drivers about it.
The regulations said the wire must be 19ft above the level of the road.
Dr Alfred Cato said Wells died from electric current passing through his body causing heart failure.

August 27th 1938

A nasty accident befell a Cavendish man, Arthur Bullock, on Wednesday. He was working with the threshing machine moving straw from the elevator when his head came in contact with one of the spikes on the elevator, tearing open his cheek from temple to chin. His employer Mr D.Payne took him to Dr Ritchie who conveyed him to St Leonards Hospital where his wounds were attended to.

September 10th 1938

News has just been received of the tragic death in Canada of William Philip Gosling. Mr Gosling belonged to a old Suffolk family and went with his brother Arthur to Canda some 30 years ago where they farmed 1000 acres in Alberta. On August 2nd this year he was taking part in harvest operations when he was struck by lightning. He was 65 years of age and the second son of the late William Gosling of Fishers farm and Clarkes farm, Belchamp Walter who had previously been landlord of Clare Bell and had also farmed at Hundon. Mr Gosling was on the point of retirement and planned to return to England.

September 24th 1938

Marriage at Cavendish of Mr Harold Pawsey of Peyton Hall, Boxford, third son of Mr and Mrs Hugh Wake Pawsey of 10 acres, Wivenhoe and Miss Helen Mary Payne, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs Dudley Payne of Blacklands, Cavendish.

October 8th 1938

The rector of Little Yeldham the Rev Hugh Bourne Dowson was summoned for common assault on a small boy by slapping his face. Frederick Cox aged 10 of the Council Houses said he was going down a lane near the rectory with another boy when the parson came and told them not to touch birds nests, they had not done so. The parson slapped his face and went away, the boy's 7 year old sister corrobarated his evidence. The boy said the rector called at his house on September 17th and gave him 6d. P.c.Summerton of Great Yeldham said the boy had small bruises and a slight swelling on his face. Giving evidence defendant said Freddie Cox and Les Collar had done little jobs in his garden and he gave them small recompense. Les Collar said they had looked in a birds nest and Fred Cox said they did not. Collar said he never saw the rector do anything to Cox. Dismissed.

January 7th 1939

Captain Ralph Vincent Gandolfi Hornyold (Duke Gadolfi of Rome)of Cavendish Hall left £ 8.518.

December 23rd 1939

Mr Herbert Mortlock who farms Moors Farm, Cavendish, was injured in a mishap on Saturday. The tractor plough he was driving overturned and he was pinned under the machine, his partner Mr F.Kemp was unable to free him until help arrived from a neighbouring farm. He suffered severe bruising.

January 20th 1940

Mr R.Johnson of Cavendish won a 3rd prize in a best kept milk records competion.

March 30th 1940

Melford Rural District Council decided to protest against the proposal to build a flax factory at Guild Hall Farm, near Rodbridge corner. May 11th 1940. It was decided to build the flax factory at Glemsford.

May 10th 1941

An inquest was held at Houghton Hall, Cavendish, respecting the death of Justina Weitz, aged 29 years, who died under tragic circumstances on Tuesday, April 29th. The deceased, a Czecho-Slovakian refugee, was a married woman living with her husband and family at Houghton Hall since November 1939. The fact that some of her family were suffering at the hands of the Germans affected her a great deal.
Eugen Weitz said he arrived in England in November 1939 and was farming Houghton Hall. On Tuesday he was called to his wife's bedroom and found her seriously ill, he saw an empty bottle. Francis Elek, who is also farming Houghton Hall, said his room was next to deceased's and that about six he heard a noise, he opened the bedroom door and asked Mrs Wietz if there was anything wrong, she said " nothing", on repeating the question she said she had taken some tablets, he immediately phoned the doctor. P.C.Copsey said he was at Houghton Hall on some other business and was informed of circunstances, on going to the house Dr Ritchie handed him a bottle which contained tablets, he examined the body and found no marks on it. Balance of mind disturbed.
The funeral of Mrs Weitz took place on Friday, according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church. The first part was held at the at Sudbury and the interment was at Cavendish cemetry. Father Moir conducted the service

November 15th 1941

William Goodchild of Clock house Farm, Glemsford, was fined £ 10 and his licence suspended for being in charge of a motor vehicle while under the influence of drink in Hall street, Long Melford.

May 9th 1942

During a demonstration of explosives to members of the Home Guard at Kirby Hall, Castle Hedingham, on Sunday, Segt.Major Instructor George Burchell aged 42 of Harwich Road, Colchester, was fatally injured. Accidental Death.

June 6th 1942

An inquest was held at Sudbury on Vincent Eric-Wyner a soldier who was drowned at the old bathing place after having completed a cross country run. The coroner said it was indiscreet for a man to go bathing after strenuous exercise. Accidental Death.

September 12th 1942

A verdict of death by drowning in the course of civil defence exercise was returned on Harry Everitt the 20 year old leader of a Sudbury first aid party. The tragedy occurred on the river Stour during combined Home Guard and Civil Defence exercises. He had hailed a canoe which was on the river and a man got out to make room for him, the canoe overturned and seemed to sink under them, Everitt could not swim.

? 1943

There was an inquest on Thomas Warner a 26 year old horseman of Rodbridge Lodge, who hanged himself in a chaff house. He was employed by Mr E.Roe of Rodbridge Farm. Beatrice Warner, sister of the deceased said she found her brother hanging in the chaff house. Balance of mind disturbed.

April 3rd 1943

Richard Joslin a tree feller was summoned for cutting down seven trees and stealing them, the property of Lady Whitehouse of Athur Hall, Sudbury. Lady Whitehouse said Joslin called on her and said he was going round for the government seeing if there were any diseased willow trees. Witness said she gave Joslin permission to clear trees which were diseased, he indicated one or two trees which were diseased, she then went away for a few days. When she returned she counted 31 trees which were cut down and not diseased. Fined £ 10 and £ 5 costs.

May 5th 1943

The story of how a Glemsford man who lived at Thurston End gave his life to try and save his workmate was told at an inquest last week. The victims were Frederick Craddock aged 57 of Thurston End, Glemsford and Albert Sterry of Brook Street, Glemsford. Sterry had been in charge of a East Anglian boiler room for two years and Craddock was his assistant, they had been engaged in " blowing out the boiler" an operation they carried out twice a week when the boiler exploded killing both men, a piece of metal had lodged in the valve which made it unable to open properly. The chairman said Craddock lost his life because he tried to save his mate. Accidental death.

February 12th 1944

Walter Bear a quarry proprietor of Acton Stone Quarry obtained judgement on Thursday for £ 900 with costs against David Griffiths a haulage contractor from London. Mr Justice Lewis said an agreement was made to pay Mr Bear 1s 6d per cubic yard until September when the Air Minstry requisitioned the pit.

March 18th 1944

William Alliston aged 19 from Melford road, Sudbury, was sent to prison for 14 days for failing to attend Home Guard parades. He had now received an order to proceed to the coal mines.

April 15th 1944

Harry Brockwell aged 21 of Glebeside, Foxearth, was described by his solicitor as savouring of a typical film gangster was charged with assaulting George Petch a night watchman of Glemsford he was also charged with being in possession of a revolver without a permit. Petch said he was on duty at about 2-15 am when the door opened and a familiar voice said " stick em up" he was holding a revolver and had a mask on. The father of the accused said he had the revolver as a souvenir of the last war.