The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1920-1929HaverhillEcho.html newspaper archive

June 20th 1920

A memorial to the fallen at Belchamp Walter was unveiled on Sunday after a short but impressive service. The memorial takes the form of a polished red granite Latin cross. The Rev Pannell conducted the service with the memorial covered up with a Union Jack, Major Daniell of Eyston Hall stepped forward and unveiled the cross which was the workmanship of Mr J.Lindley of Sudbury.

July 24th 1920

There was not much of a display at Cavendish on Peace Day though some of the " boys" woke the inhabitants by firing a salute on the green, later in the day they paraded the street with a" hurdy gurdy" band and also visited Glemsford in the afternoon. In the evening members of N.F.D.S.S.held a smoking concert in the school and it was presided over by Col.Spence, songs were sung by T.E.Ambrose, A.Pettitt, E.Wells, J.Oakley, T.Page, R.Thompson, H.Creane, B.Smit h and G.Hardy.

October 30th 1920

There was an inquest at Cavendish on Leonard Rushbrooke a Stowmarket lad who was found dead in a caravan at Cavendish. Deceased had been working on the fair. Natural causes.

December 11th 1920

Workmen engaged in bringing back land into cultivation at Ypres have unearthed 400 British soldiers who it is believed were buried as a result of a trench caving in at the time of the German offensive in 1918, they were reburied at a British cemetry at the Front.

February 5th 1921

Earnest Wells, a roadman of Cavendish was charged with obtaining money from Melford District Council. He had signed a workman's ticket saying he was at work on the road on the 6th and 7th of December whereas he was at Yeldham market on the first day and he was driving bullocks from Yeldham to Cavendish on the second day. Fined £ 2.

April 2nd 1921

There was an inquest on Miss Jane Chickall aged 76 of Buildings and Fairley Green Farm, Wickhambrook. Miss Chickall was at the household duties on Friday morning when her night clothes caught light.
Accidental Death. Mr and Miss Chickall formerly farmed at Manor House Farm, Mr Thomas Chickall is now the only surviving member of the family.

September 2nd 1922

Mr G.Ives of Kent Cottage, Cavendish, who won the distinction at the National Horticulture Show 20 years ago is still a successful exhibitor in local shows at Clare, Cavendish and Glemsford and has secured over 40 prizes recently. A few days since he was recipient of a framed certificate and a bronze plaque for largest number of prizes at Clare show.

Decmber 16th 1922

A meeting of the Suffolk County Football Association was held recently at Sudbury to deal with a report by Referee Clarke on the conduct of the spectators at a match between Long Melford and Colchester Town at Long Melford on November 11th. Long Melford club was fined £ 3 and censured also warned that any future case would result in their ground being closed and E.Wickens of Long Melford was suspended for 1 month for kicking an opponent in the match and R.Drury of Melford Victorians was suspended for 2 months for swearing and threatening Referee Bullivant.

January 6th 1923

Herbert Clifford Capon a farmer from Belchamp Otten Hall was charged with being drunk on licensed premises at Belchamp St Pauls on December 9th and John Wiles landlord of the Half Moon was charged with permitting the offence. P.C.Ling said he saw Capon sitting in a private room at the Half Moon in a drunken state with a bottle of whisky and a soda syphon, he was in the room from 1-45 till 9-45 pm.
Capon said he was not drunk but suffering from trench fever or malaria.
Capon was fined 5s and Wiles £ 2.

May 29th 1923

In the list of passes for the Elementary School Teaching Certificate just published the name of Miss Gladys Bettison of Cavendish Church of England Voluntary School is included.

June 2nd 1923

Farm workers are to have a half holiday on Saturdays.

June 30th 1923

At the South Suffolk show at Sudbury Mr J.P.Brand of Foxearth won a silver medal with a Shire gast mare " Herontye Fan" and J.S.Ewer of Claypits Farm Foxearth won 1st prize with a class of five bacon pigs.

September 8th 1923

The first dance with music supplied by wireless was held at Sudbury on Saturday night in the Drill Hall. Mr Philip Gates arranged one outdoor and two indoor aerials with three wireless sets with loudspeakers fixed at different parts of the hall. The dancers expressed pleasure at the excellence of the music.

September 22nd 1922

Messrs Balls and Balls have been favoured with instructions from Mr J.A.Gallinne who is giving up farming to sell by auction the live and dead stock at Pauls Hall Belchamp St Pauls, included are Overtime tractor and three furrow plough, ten horse, 182 sheep, threshing tackle etc., and from Mr Bird of Clarkes Farm, Belchamp Walter 16 horses 4 cows etc.

March 22nd 1924

In the House of Commons on Wednesday Mr Loverseed M.P.
asked the Minister of Health if he was aware of serious cases of overcrowding in Long Melford. In the first case in Liston lane there are two bedrooms one occupied by a man and his wife and a six year old boy the other room is occupied by five sons aged 24, 15 and 13, twins of 9 and two daughters aged 21 and 15, the females slept in a double bed and the males in two single beds butted together. In the other case in the village there were 11 people sleeping in two rooms, they are a man and his wife, sons 21, 11, and 3, daughters 19, 16.14, 13, 2 and a baby of 1 year.
Will the minister take into consideration the impossibilty of farm workers paying anything like what is at present charged for houses recently built by the council.

December 13th 1924

Two young farmhands were the parties concerned at Linton magistrates court where Edward Gilbert of Pentlow Street Farm was charged by Richard Salmon of West Wratting with assault. Salmon had to take some cake to a field where Gilbert was under shepherd at West Wratting when defendant said " what have you been telling the foreman about me" he then got Salmon down and struck him. Mr Robert Meadows said that defendant was employed by Mr Slater at West Wratting and had been discharged because of trouble. Fined 5s..

April 11th 1925

At the inquest on Edward Reeve aged 73 a thatcher of Belchamp Walter who died from injuries received when he fell from the straw stack which he was thatching. The jury was told that he fell 20ft from the stack on May 30th as he was returning to the ground for some string to complete his task and sustained a fracture of three ribs.
Death was due to shock and other injuries.

September 5th 1925

A fall from a stack is believed to have caused the death of George Braybrook aged 60 of School Farm Cottages, Pentlow.
Deceased was engaged with two other men on Mr J.Brand's farm at Pentlow stacking corn.

September 5th 1925

A inquest was held at Pentlow into the death of George Braybrook a 60 year old labourer of School Farm Cottages who fell from a stack at Ropers Farm, Pentlow. Evidence was given by Ernest Pask and Richard Duce, farmworkers, who both said they were working with deceased building a stack. Duce missed Braybrook and called to Pask who found him on the ground. Braybrook had not complained of illness and was not subject to fits. P.C.Harrington of Foxearth said he found Braybrook dead by the side of the stack with a two tined fork in his hands, deceased had been laying sheaves round the edge of the stack and in his opinion the barley being short and dry he had slipped off the side of the stack. Doctor Tyler said he examined deceased and found he had severed his spinal chord. Accidental Death.

January 2nd 1926

Harry Charles Wordley an ex soldier of Glemsford was charged with killing game at Stanstead without a licence. Albert Wordley was also charged with aiding and abetting. Charles Richardson, gamekeeper for Major Neville of Kentwell Hall said he was concealed in Calves Wood at Stanstead and watched Harry Wordley go towards the wood and fire a gun. Witness went to defendant and asked for the pheasant but he would not give it to him and put it in his pocket. Harry Wordley was fined £ 2 and Albert Wordley was fined also fined £ 2 with 5s costs.

January 9th 1926

The marriage took place at Gloucester between Miss Mildred Sterry daughter of Mrs Sterry of Park Farm Glemsford to Mr Cyril Watkinson also of Glemsford.

October 16th 1926

There was a ceremony at the National school at Melford in which a memorial was unveiled in honour of a boy George Parmenter who lost his life in saving a little school fellow who had fallen in the river at Liston Bridge. Sir William Hyde Parker unveiled the monument which bears the photograph of George Parmenter aged 13©.
The memorial is the work of Miss Freda Noble of Liston Bridge House.

December 18th 1926

An inquest took place at the Cock Inn, Glemsford, on Arthur Boreham, a 72 year old labourer of Glemsford. His death took place after being struck by a motor cycle. George Mizon a labourer said his father in law lived in Egermont street. Stanley Brown of Cavendish said that on Saturday night at about 10 pm he was coming through Glemsford on his motor cycle, he had a friend Edward Cann on the back of the cycle and it was foggy at the time when he struck something. Edward Cann an employee of the L.N.E.R. at Cavendish, said they were going through Glemsford near the Cock Inn and remembered Brown swerving and then found himself on the ground. Death by accident.

November 19th 1927

The story of how a Great Yeldham man, Flying Officer Mackenzie-Richards with his passenger jumped by parachute into the darkness was told to an inquiry at East Grinstead. The passenger H.N.Green said the pilot instructed him how to leave the aircraft and he made a safe landing, the next morning the wreckage of the aircraft was found and the body of the pilot was 200 yards away.
Flying Officer Mackenzie-Richards was one of the officers carrying out a dangerous experiment by taking off in a aircraft from the airship R33 in mid air.The plane was only 2000 feet up when he jumped and he struck the ground before the parachute opened. Death by misadventure.
The funeral of Flying Officer Mackenzie-Richards, aged 27, took place in Great Yeldham church, his parents live at Hill House, Great Yeldham.

December 31st 1927

An inquest was held at Western End, Foxearth, on the body of Albert Charles Inch a 26 year old stockman of Western End who's dead body was found on the railway line near Glemsford. Henry Robert Inch, father of the deceased, said his son was employed at Claypits Farm Foxearth by Mr J.Ewer. On Monday he arrived home from work about 5 o'clock and said he was going to Ham's shop in the village for some tobacco, he did not return and I went in search of him as deceased had not been well recently he had been suffering from nerves and I advised him to go to the doctor but he would not.
Walter Butcher of Sudbury said he worked the L.N.E.R and was driving the engine on the 4-57 train to Cambridge they left Glemsford at 6-28 and soon afterwards heard a rattling and thought something had broken, he examined the engine at Melford station but did not find anything. He made a thorough examination at Sudbury and found the back sand pipe broken, he then found some blood on a trailing spring, he sent the fireman to the signal box to tell Glemsford to examine the line. Albert George Prior, a porter from Glemsford said that about 30 yards from New Bridge he found a cap and some human remains.
P.C.Witham of Foxearth said that half a mile from Glemsford station he found a jacket hanging on a fence, he searched the coat and found a purse containing £ 1-2© d and a Thurlow farm almanac in which were written the words" mother please forgive me". Suicide.

January 14th 1928

As a result of a flying accident to a Bristol fighter in Irak on January 8th the pilot, Pilot Officer Lionel Ruggles Fisher was killed. He was the son of the late Lionel G.Fisher of Long Melford.

April 14th 1928

The wedding of Miss Hilda Sutton eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs W.Sutton of Belle Vue, Foxearth and Mr Robert Leggot of Rodbridge took place at Foxearth.

September 22nd 1928

Percy Drury a hairdresser of Long Melford was fined 5s for riding a motor cycle without an effective silencer.

February 23rd 1929

William James Sutton a motor driver of Foxearth was summomed for driving a heavy motor car the wheels of which were fitted with solid tyres at a speed exceeding 12 miles per hour at Long Melford.
Inspector Hammond said he was taking times over a measured stretch of road in Melford when he received a signal from P.C.Kinsey and timed the motor over it and worked out the speed at 17 miles per hour, the lorry contained 5 tons of sand. The chairman said that this rapid running over the road must be stopped and if he wanted to go faster he must fit pneumatic tyres. Fined £ 1.

March 16th 1929

At a Labour party meeting at the Memorial Hall at Cavendish it was stated that there were 60 unemployed men in Hundon, 80 in Glemsford, 100 in Clare and 200 in Haverhill.

June 15th 1929

William Pingo and John Andrews of Halstead were summoned for assaulting Victor Turner of Cavendish at Sudbury. Turner said he was standing on the fairground at Sudbury when defendants came up to him and said" you are young Lefley " and struck him twice on the chin. Leslie Arthur Maxim of Foxearth said Pingo struck the blows. Pingo said when spoken to, Turner said he would knock his head off and at once struck Andrews and that Turner struck the first blows. Inspector Smith said that the previous Sunday evening Andrews and a young named Lefley who lived in Ballingdon got fighting in North Street and fought all the way through the Green Dragon yard and down into East Street where they were seperated by the police, both being covered in blood. Fined 10s and 3s 6d costs each.

July 13th 1929

Four pedigree red polls belonging to Mr W.Wright of Little Maplestead were killed by lightning at Ashford Lodge Park on Saturday afternoon.

July 13th 1929

The funeral took place at Cavendish of Mr Thomas Edward Ambrose, aged 68 years, who was widely known in the area. For two hundred years there has been Ambrose's at Wales Farm, Cavendish, for a long number of years he was sub manager for the estate of the Right Honourable Earl Howe in South Suffolk. The connections with Earl Howe were severed when his lordship disposed of the holdings and then Mr Ambrose bought the farm. Eight years ago he retired and the farm was taken over by his son, Mr T.B.Ambrose the well known cricketer. Mr Ambrose was in his day a follower of the Newmarket and Thurlow hunt and also a cricketer.
He was of a kindly disposition and leaves a widow and two sons, his son George is a resident in South Africa.

September 14th 1929

The village of Cavendish was shocked by the news of a double tradgedy on Thursday night. The scene of the murder was at the Bull Hotel, the bodies of Nora Plumb and George Morley were found in the kitchen area. The girl was 25 years of age and came from Pentlow and had a three year old daughter. The man was George Morley aged 36 and was a gamekeeper of Thurlow and he had won the M.M.during the war and was twice mentioned in dispatches for bravery. Alfred Hughes of the White Horse, Hundon, said that the girl Rosie was his child. Wilful murder and Felo de se.