The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1903-1906 Bury and Norwich Post newspaper archive

February 17th 1903

There was a distressing occurrence on Tuesday night when Mrs Sarah Making, wife of George Making, a labourer of Cross Street, Sudbury, was shot in the face by her 11 year old daughter. They were at home when the daughter picked up a small pistol from the table, having been left there by her 18 year old brother and having no idea it was loaded aimed it at her mother and said " I will shoot you mother", suddenly the gun went off and Mrs Making received the charge in her face. On arriving at the hospital several pellets were removed from her face. It is feared the left eye will be lost.

March 3rd 1903

On Shrove Tuesday the annual Horse Fair took place in Lavenham street with horse dealers present from long distances. Good business was reported, several horses being selected the day before.

March 24th 1903

There was an inquest at the White Horse at Boxford on the body of Ernest Elmer aged 25 years a labourer of Edwardstone. Henry Smith a labourer from Edwardstone said he saw deceased lying beside the road about 200 yards from Walnut Tree Farm, he asked him if he was hurt and he said " yes they went right over me". Witness had noticed two horses about ten minutes before he came up the road, there was one in the shafts and the other was trace horse, they were drawing a chaff cutter on the road in direction of Edwardstone. Stephen Smith said he told deceased the time at about three o'clock, deceased was walking in charge of two horses and a chaff cutter and then later he saw him lying at the side of the road face down, he asked him if he was hurt, he said " yes both wheels passed over me", he was a careful steady man. Mr Thompson from Boxford, a surgeon, said no bones were broken but he had severe internal injuries, deceased told witness that as he tried to climb on to the horse's back the horse knocked him down. Accidental death.

April 28th 1903

At Michaelmas the Lovelands Estate at Belchamp St Pauls for sale. Situated on the Suffolk Essex border. Comprising 200 acres of fertile arable land with pasture and woodland. A pleasant old fashioned creeper clad residence with pleasure and fruit gardens, agricultural buildings and six cottages. At present in occupation of the Exors of Robert Smith.

June 2nd 1903

Harry Angel a labourer of Cavendish was charged with leaving his wife and children in charge of Sudbury Union. The prisoner was arrested at Kelvedon while working on the light railway there, he told the bench he went away to look for work but was unsuccessful for a week. Discharged on the promise not to allow his wife and children to become chargeable to the Union again.

December 29th 1903

Alfred Chatters, Thomas Beavis, John Chinery, Henry Fairbanks and Alfred Clarke, matmakers from Glemsford, were charged with tresspassing in search of game at Poslingford. William Simmons, shepherd to Mr Stockburn, said he saw defendants in a meadow digging for rabbits.
Daniel Millbank, bailiff, said he suffered a good deal of damage from the defendants who thought nothing of pulling out six inch drain pipes and throwing them into the ditch. Defendants asked the bench to deal leniently with them on account of the slackness of work.
Chatters, Fairbanks and Beavis £ 2, Clarke £ 3.

January 19th 1904

There was an inquest at Lavenham Angel Inn on Hazel Smith aged 9 months. Mrs Abigail Smith said she left her house to go to the Stores but stopped at a neighbour's on the way back, when she got home her baby's clothes were on fire after a cinder fell from the fire.
Doctor Emmison said she was terribly burned. Accidental death with a severe censure for the mother.

January 26th 1904

(Advert) Prosperity awaits every willing worker in Canada. Good crops, healthy climate, light taxes, free schools and 160 free acres. For maps, pamphlets etc, to Mr W.Preston, Commissioner for Emigration, Charing Cross, London.

February 9th 1904

There was a inquest at Melford Police Station on the body of Emma Duce aged 19 years, a silk weaver of Melford whose body was found in a swamp in mysterious circumstances. Inspector Emsden said the jury would not be able to view the place as it was inaccesssible after heavy rain. Mrs Hannah Parmenter said deceased was her granddaughter and had lived with her since she was four years old, her mother having remarried. On Monday morning she left her to go to work at Sudbury as she was a silk weaver, she had been keeping company with a young man named Ambrose. Charles Cook, a platelayer, said that on Monday night as he was coming over Mason's Bridge he saw a young man and a young woman talking close together. Inspector Emsden said acting on information received he went to search a field near the railway, midway across Broad Meadow near a small bridge which crosses a rivulet between that and the railway, there is a swamp, he saw a body at the edge of the swamp which had been drawn out of the swamp by a man named Finch. James Finch, a blacksmith of Melford said he went with deceased's uncle to Broad Meadow the uncle called out " there she lay Jim" witnesss then saw the body. Dr Pettit said there was no sign of violence. There was a verdict of Fel- de-se and Harry Ambrose aged 19 a matmaker of Melford was bound over to appear at the Assizes as a aider and abetter.

June 14th 1904

Harry Ambrose aged 19, a matmaker of Melford was charged at the Assizes with aiding and abetting Emma Duce to kill and murder herself. Hannah Parmenter, a widow of Cock and Bell Lane said her granddaughter lived with her and had been seeing defendant, two or three weeks ago she spoke to defendant saying did he know Emma was in trouble, he said " no", deceased was a silk weaver earning 3s 6d a week.
Defendant said " we were standing at the top of Cock and Bell lane talking when deceased said she would do away with herself, I said I would too, she went off and laid in the water, I laid down beside her, she " halloed" and that frightened me, I got up and ran home". Not guilty.
Defendant was found guilty of attempting suicide. 6 months without hard labour.

July 19th 1904

During the period from 1st of August to the last day of February the taking of the following species of birds is prohibited throughout West Suffolk-Great Bustard-All Owls-Kingfisher-Kestrel, this means that these birds are now protected throughout the year.

September 6th 1904

Two barley stacks at Blacklands Farm at Cavendish were discovered to be on fire, they belonged to Mr C.S.Goodchild of Great Wratting. Signalman Pegg of the G.E.R. station raised the alarm although nothing could be done to save the stacks owing to the lack of water and they were allowed to burn out. P.C.Kent was quickly on the scene and received information which caused him to mount his cycle and ride in the direction of Glemsford, in about ten minutes he overtook a young man who was covered in barley havel, he was arrested on the charge of arson, the young man's name was George King, a miller's carter from Stambourne. He was brought before Col.Burke at Sudbury and charged.

September 6th 1904

There was an inquest at Melford police station on James Smith, a bricklayers labourer of Melford. Deceased had drunk some beer in his house then complained that he had been stung by a wasp, he died in about quarter of an hour. Mary Smith, deceased's sister, said he was 46 years of age and had complained about a wasp stinging his tongue he had spat out the wasp and sat down in a chair, she gave him brandy and vinegar when he gave two gasps, turned black about the mouth and died.
Doctor Pettit said death was due to heart failure brought on by shock.

September 13th 1904

There was ameeting of Clare football club at the Half Moon. Captain, G.Bareham, vice captain, W.Orbell, secretary, J.Pavey, ass.secretary, R.Wightman, groundsman, E.Stiff.

September 27th 1904

The employees of Oliver's, the brewers of Sudbury had an outing to London, there were 41 employees, they were accompanied by 40 employees of Ward and Sons of Foxearth. Lunch was taken at Earls Court. Mr D.Ward was in the chair, supported by Mr Leggot and by Mr Barnes, manager of Acton brewery in London, also by Mr H.B.Bailey of the Cambridge brewery and by Mr P.Fuller, the head brewer at Foxearth. 18 employees of Mauldon's brewery at Ballingdon also accompanied them to the Metropolis.

October 18th 1904

Frederick Pask a baker of Hartest was summoned for employing George Eastball and Harry Woolard, young persons aged 14 years in contravention of the Factory Act which fixes the time of work at 6 am till 6pm. The inspector visited defendant's premises at 4-30 am and found them at work. £ 1 5s with 12s 6d costs.

November 8th 1904

A fire was discovered on Wednesday afternoon in two corn stacks belonging to Mr Taylor, landlord of the Angel Inn at Glemsford. The stacks were situated in a field not far from Angel Lane, 250 yards distant from the hostelry. They were the produce of 16© acres, an incendiary is suspected.

November 8th 1904

There was an inquest at Stanstead White Hart on the body of William Oakley aged 45 years, a carpenter of Stanstead. James Garwood of Stanstead said there was no reason for deceased to commit suicide. Mr Waring a surgeon from Cavendish said the whole of the brain was carried away by gunshot. George Oakley, son of deceased, said his father was drawing the charge from his gun, he had drawn one charge and told witness to take the charge indoors, he heard a report, running outside he found deceased on the ground, deceased was quite used to handling black gun powder, he was going rabbiting on Mr Aitkenson's land the next day. Accidental Death.

January 17th 1905

On Thursday afternoon there was great excitement in the little town of Lavenham when there was a gruesome discovery of a corpse in a water cistern in Water Street, the cistern which is in the street is a concreted tank 10ft by 30ft, the inhabitants of the street are dependant upon it for their water supply. The body was discovered by a man named Brewster who informed the police, before the police arrived, Mr Springett, landlord of the Black Lion Inn, who was in the vicinity, recovered the body, he at once identified as Philip Sargent, a drover from Lavenham. It is supposed he entered the cistern late the previous night, although several women had visited the cistern for water during the morning no-one noticed anything out of the ordinary, some say they noticed what they thought was a bit of brown paper on the surface although it was the khaki coat belonging to the deceased. The water is 3ft deep at the deep end. It is stated that a warrant is out for the arrest of the deceased. At the inquest, James Sargent of Melford, half brother of deceased said deceased was 46 years old and had stayed with his father who was manager of Ward and Silver's works at Melford, deceased drank a good deal. The foreman said that deceased had been a great deal of trouble to his father and had been living at the Cock Inn at Lavenham for the last 12 months. Daved Block, landlord of the Swan Inn at Monks Eleigh said deceased entered his house on Wednesday at about 5pm and asked for a pint of beer on trust, he supplied him as he knew him, deceased said he was tired as he had walked from Lavenham to Hintlesham with some bullocks, a distance of 28 miles, he asked for another pint, witness drew him some off and said he would give it to him but he had better be off, deceased stayed until 10pm talking jovially with other people, deceased aked for a bed but witness said he would not allow that, he then asked if he could stay in the stable. Thomas Brewster, a mat weaver of Lavenham, said he went to the water cistern for some tea water when he noticed a face in the water, he raised the alarm.
Dr Brickwell said there were no marks on the body. Sgt. Benstead said deceased was wanted for obtaining goods by false pretences. Temporary insanity.

January 17th 1905

100 years ago. January 23rd 1805. On Monday last a private soldier received 400 lashes in Horse Street barracks at Ipswich for uttering seditious expressions in a public house a short time since.
Detachments of all regiments of the garrisson were present at the punishment.

February 21st 1905

Arthur Brown, labourer of Cavendish was charged with stealing a hare from James Pavey a publican from Clare who said he shot a hare at Colts Hall in Cavendish and put it in his cart, later he discovered it was missing. Defendant had asked Charles Parmenter to sell it for him which he did and received 2s 6d for it. Fined 5s.

March 28th 1905

Relief work for the unemployed of Sudbury. In an attempt to alleviate distress the corporation had on hand a large number of flints but before using them on the roads they had to be broken up, the work was offered to the unemployed and was accepted by about 40 men, gangs of men were soon at work for the whole week at the sum of 1s 6d per square yard, the men earn 4-5s a day.

May 2nd 1905

There was a disastrous fire in Brook Street, Glemsford, which destroyed five old cottages they were composed of lath and plaster with thatched roofs. The fire was discovered by ostler Ernest Gardiner who was riding by the little general shop of widow Mrs Ford, when he noticed the blaze. Two adjoining cottages hastily began to remove furniture etc. The shop belonged to Mr Brewster of Clare, about 40 yards distance stood two other cottages and a disused silk factory belonging to Mr John Byford, these caught fire owing to the strong wind.
Mr Game, the landlord of the Crown Inn rode to Melford for the fire brigade. It is only about six weeks ago that there was another fire at Glemsford when six cottages near the station were destroyed.

May 23rd 1905

A fire was discovered about midnight in Melford High Street in a meadow belonging to the Kentwell Estate. Mr W. Chinery the woodman had stacked three to four thousand faggots, these were found to be ablaze. P.C.Sturman noticed the fire and that some cottages nearby were in danger, Inspector Emsden tried to get the brigade but in accordance with the parish council's wishes they would not attend until assurances were given about payment but many willing workers prevented the cottages being fired. The meadow until a few years ago was used for football and cricket. An incendiary is thought to be responsible.

July 4th 1905

The annual lamb sale was held at Sudbury on Monday attracting a numerous company with 2000 sheep and lambs penned. Half bred Southdown wethers fetched as much as 30s 6d each. 1st crosses from Col Burke made 35s, ewes from W.Pinhey of Lamarsh Hall made 34s 6d, half breeds from Earl Howe at Cavendish made 35s 6d, 40 young lambs from Mr Ewer's registered flock at Foxearth made 22s each. Wheat at Bury market, 34s a quarter, oats 21s, grinding barley, 27s. Well finished fat cattle up to 8s a stone. Ipswich provisions market, butter 1s a pound, eggs 1s a dozen, chickens 5-6s a pair.

July 4th 1905

At the Rose and Crown, Sudbury. Hollies farm in the parishes of Chilton and Gt Waldingfield on the insructions of the exhors of Harriet Upson, 65 acres, to F.C.Steed for £ 1000. Chilton Grove a residence with 3 acres withdrawn at £ 2100. 3 brick and tile cottages standing on 2 acres at Pinch Hill, Bulmer, withdrawn at £ 145.
August 8th 1905. There was an accident in the harvest field at Lodge farm in Lavenham when Frederick Watson, the son of the Rev Taylor's bailiff was kicked by a horse in the face when he was changing the team on the binder, he received severe lacerations.

August 15th 1905

A century ago. August 1805. Dispatches received from Lord Nelson state that on the 19th of July he went into Gibraltar Bay for refreshments, on the 20th he proceeded in search of the combined fleets.(At that time he had not heard of the French Fleet).

August 29th 1905

Boardman and Oliver of Sudbury offered for sale at the Four Swans by instructions of Benjamin Brown - Rose Villa in Waldingfield Road-withdrawn at £ 345.

August 29th 1905

At Sudbury Police Court. Alfred Berry, farmer of Ballingdon, Robert Gault, a labourer, Henry Berry, cowkeeper, Danzie Berry a cowkeeper, Ernest Albon, labourer, Ewin Johnson a clerk, Frederick Hayward, cowkeeper, all of Sudbury, Arthur Peaches of Ballingdon and David Blythe, Henry Boan, William Downes, George Allen, Thomas Nunn, labourers of Acton were summoned by th R.S.P.C.A. for ill treating 147 cows by beating them about the head and bodies at Sudbury on the 23rd of July.
Certain cow keepers drove some cows on to Friars Meadow and Alfred Berry took steps to turn them off, he gathered some men with the view to drive them to Ballingdon to be impounded. Stephen Sillitoe said he lives in Station Road when he saw a number of cows at the corner of Friars Street and Station road which had been driven from Friars Meadow by Alfred Berry and his men who wanted to get them to Ballingdon, they were stopped at the corner by some cowkeepers who wanted to get them the other way, they were using sticks and he had never seen such cruelty, some cows wanted to go towards Balingdon some up towards the Market Hill. Edward Hills a jeweller said it was ceaseless flogging. Alfred Berry said he found the cows in Friars Meadow, he had the legal right to impound them, he was met by cowkeepers who had blocked Friars Street and they had whips and sticks, they turned the cows cruelly. Thomas Partrige, acting ranger, said he received instructions from the Trustees of the Common Lands to turn the cows on to Friars Meadow. Fined £ 1 10s each.

August 29th 1905

A century ago. August 29th 1805. At Ipswich lamb fair there were between 8000 and 10000 sheep. Some growers not being willing to accept low prices drove them back again. A medical gentleman sold his favourite pony to a Norfolk farmer for 60 of his best sheep on condition that he gave him £ 15 a score for the remainder of his sheep.

August 29th 1905

On Sunday evening a stak of stover belonging to Mr Douglas Gardiner of Bulmer was destroyed by fire, the cause of the outbreak was unknown.

September 5th 1905

William and George Bradley, well sinkers of Thurston, were charged with stealing three well sinking tubes the property of Mr J.Weller Poley of Boxted Hall. John Honeywood of West Farm, Lawshall, agent to Mr Poley, said he gave instructions to the defendants to dig and brick a well at Hartest Place, when the work was completed and there was no water it was arranged that boring would be required, witness said three well tubes were removed from Hartest. No prime facia case.

October 3rd 1905

James Brown, a railway porter of Lavenham was charged with stealing a box of jewellery valued at £ 41 16s whilst in possession of his employers G.E.R.. Elizabeth Barton of Kettlebaston said she travelled from Liverpool Street to Lavenham by train, when she got to Lavenham she gave the dress box to Porter Rudd with instructions to send it to Kettlebaston by carrier, when the luggage arrived there was no wooden box. Detective Campbell of the railway police said he accompanied defendant to his house in Bolton Street, Lavenham, where he found in a box some silver broaches etc. 4 months.

October 17th 1905

Marriage at East Grinstead of Algeron Waring, son of Dr Waring of The Greys, Cavendish, to Edith Mutton of East Grinstead.

October 31st 1905

The inhabitants of Glemsford are now in measurable reach of a good supply of water. On Thursday and Friday the engine, mains and water tanks underwent a severe test prior to being brought into public use. The pumping station is near Glemsford railway station in a neatly built structure of bricks, in the engine room is a 11 hp oil engine and a 6" x3" three throw ram pump by Campbell Gas Engine Co of Halifax. The bore is 520ft deep and lined with ©" steel tubes, the yield is 6000 gallons an hour, the water is pumped to a water tower on Hunt's Hill, the tower is 45ft high and is built with White Gildenburgh bricks relieved by Leicester red is surmounted by a steel tank 15ft deep by 20ft with a capacity of 30000 gallons. The top water level is 30ft higher than the Glemsford church tower. 24 fire hydrants are placed at various parts of the village. The cost of the scheme is £ 3000 to which will be added the cost of the land, engine and the expences of the engineers. The engineer was J.Eayrs of Birmingham, contractors for engine house and tower was E.Tabor of Cambridge, suppliers of water mains, Holywell Iron Company, mains were laid by A.Appleby of Leyton.

January 30th 1906

There was an inquest at the Perseverance Hotel at Melford on the body of Robert Bunnet a signalman at Melford station aged 57 years. John Hellen a foreman platelayer said he had a conversation with the deceased outside the signal box at about 2-30 pm, he seemed perfectly alright. Stephen Plum, a platelayer form Lyston said he went to the box to get some keys and found deceased lying with his head in the coal scuttle, he called Hellen who said they found deceased breathing heavily. Arthur Hooker, under signalman, said the levers to recieve the train from Cavendish were not right, to pull the levers they used a cloth to stop the levers rusting, the cloth laid near deceased's hand. Doctor Pettit said he ordered deceased to be taken home where he attended him until he died a few days later, he thought the deceased had fallen against the locker as there was no evidence of a fit. Accidental death.

March 6th 1906

The horse fair was held as usual on Shrove Tuesday at Lavenham, the horses were exhibited in the High Street, there were numerous buyers from London and other distant places, good horses met sharp demand, several making high prices, 68 horse were sent by special trains to London.

April 17th 1906

On Thursday evening as Miss Hensby a school teacher aged 19 was cycling on the Melford road 2© miles from Lavenham when she was attacked by a man who threw her off her cycle. George Knock a labourer from Acton was charged with assault and committed for trial.
June 12th 1906. George Knock aged 17 years a labourer from Lavenham was charged with assaulting Katherine Hemsby at Acton, defendant had been brought before the magistrates 3 years ago for a similar attack on a 13 year old girl when his father had volunteered to give him a whipping which was carried out in front of the police. The Inspector said defendant's home life was not all it should be. 12 months hard labour.

May 1st 1906

On Monday last week, a well known Melford man, Harry Richold, disappeared, on Friday his body was taken from the Stour. The inquest was held at Melford Police Station on Saturday, Harry Ruse was appointed foreman. Obed Berry who is employed at Stafford Allen's drug works said as he was going to work at 5-30 am on Friday morning, he was going along the riverside on the way to work in Mr Bigg's meadow when about 200 yards from the footpath he saw something white in the river, he thought it was a dead dog, he threw some clods into the river to make it come to the surface, he then went to work. Not being satisfied, at dinner time he got a workmate to go back with him and got some creepers, the water now being clear and they could see a face, they threw the creepers over the body and drew it to the side, they then informed the police and helped P.C.Nice recover the body. Suicide.

June 19th 1906

Fanny Neale of the Cock and Bell, Melford, came up for public examination as she had a deficit of £ 600, she said trade was very bad. Adjourned.

July 3rd 1906

On Sunday morning a child was awakened by a dog barking and gave the alert. The fire was at Bridge Street, Melford, in sheds adjoining the Rose and Crown, the fire brigade was sent for. The sheds are hired by Mr Goldup, the proprietor of Bridge Street carriage works.
The sheds were destroyed but the Rose and Crown was unharmed.