January 1st 1900
Died at Booton rectory, the Rev. Whitwell Elwin. He was born in Norfolk on February 25th, 1816, and entering Caius College, Cambridge, graduated B.A. in 1839. After his marriage with his cousin, Miss Frances Elvin, in that year, he was ordained, and became curate of Hemington with Hardington, in Somersetshire. In 1849 he was presented to the family living of Booton, where he resided until his death. During his incumbency he undertook the great work of re-building his parish church in the Early Decorated style upon the old ground plan. Elwin was best known as editor of the “Quarterly Review,” the personal friend of Thackeray and Bulwer Lytton, of Dickens and Forster, and of many other famous people in the literary world. It was in 1843 that he wrote for the “Quarterly Review” his first article—on the “Histoire du Chien” of Elzéar Blaze. When Lockhart’s illness made it necessary for him to go abroad in 1853 he asked Elwin to do the work of editing the “Quarterly Review.” Lockhart died in 1854, and Elwin then succeeded him in the post of editor. He lived at home in Norfolk and went up to London for the publication of each number. Thackeray gave to him the gold pen with which he had written most of “Vanity Fair,” and has left a pleasant sketch of him in his “Roundabout Paper” on “Screens in Dining Rooms.” Elwin wrote the review of “The Newcomes” in the “Quarterly” for September, 1855.
January 2nd 1900
The formal presentation of gifts subscribed by the residents of Norfolk and the citizens of Norwich for the men of the Norfolk Regiment took place at Aldershot by a deputation consisting of the High Sheriff (Mr. Upcher), the Deputy-Mayor of Norwich (Mr. G. H. Morse), Col. Shepherd, D.S.O., Mr. P. E. Hansell (Under-Sheriff of Norfolk), and Mr. E. J. Caley, honorary secretary to the fund. The battalion left Aldershot on the 4th for Southampton, and embarked on the P. and O. liner Assaye for South Africa. The strength of the battalion was just under 1,000. On this day (January 2nd) the non-commissioned officers and men of the Loyal Suffolk Hussars and many civilians, who had volunteered for active service in South Africa with the Imperial Yeomanry, attended at the Maid’s Head Hotel, Norwich, for the purpose of being medically examined and attested. About 46 members of the Loyal Suffolk Hussars and 112 civilians were accepted. On the 12th the commanding officers of the four Volunteer battalions of the Norfolk Regiment met at Norwich and arranged details for the clothing and equipment of men who had volunteered for the front. Three officers were appointed to the service company—Capt. Archdale, 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Lieut. B. H. L. Prior, 1st Volunteer Battalion, and Lieut. H. L. Willett, 4th Volunteer Battalion. The company consisted of four sergeants, five corporals, two buglers, and 99 rank and file—total 115. On the 25th the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment (Militia), commanded by Col. Custance, was embodied at the Britannia Barracks, Norwich, and on the same day left for Fermoy for garrison duty. The Yeomanry and Volunteers attended a farewell service at Norwich Cathedral on the 26th; and in the evening the Volunteers were entertained to dinner at the Drill Hall by public subscription. The Yeomanry (43rd Company) were similarly entertained on the 27th by Mr. Alfred Haldinstein, whose eldest son had volunteered for service with the company. On the 30th the 43rd Company paraded on Tombland, and, headed by the band of the 7th Hussars, marched to Trowse, where they entrained with their horses for Southampton, and on the 31st embarked on the Goth. The officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the 44th Company left Norwich by special train at 4.50 on the morning of February 3rd for London, where they were inspected at Albany Street Barracks by the Prince of Wales. They returned to Norwich in the evening. On the 5th they were entertained to dinner at the Assembly Room, Agricultural Hall, under the presidency of the Deputy-Mayor. The Norfolk Volunteer Service Company left Norwich on February 11th, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Diver, 2nd Volunteer Battalion, who had been appointed in place of Capt. Archdale, incapacitated by illness; the same day they arrived at Southampton and embarked on the Donne Castle. Meanwhile the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment (Militia) had volunteered for service at the front, and the battalion on February 25th left Fermoy for Queenstown, where they embarked on board the Orotava. Col. Custance was in command, and there were 22 officers and 550 non-commissioned officers and men. On March 1st news was received in Norwich of the relief of Ladysmith. A boom was fired from the Castle, the city flags hoisted upon public buildings, and the bells of St. Peter Mancroft rung. Bands of music paraded the streets, and in the evening the city was illuminated. Similar rejoicings took place throughout the county. On the 3rd, at two a.m., the 44th Company, Imperial Yeomanry, paraded on Tombland, and headed by torch bearers and the band of the Artillery Volunteers marched to Thorpe Station, whence they proceeded to London, and on the same day embarked on the Cornwall at the Albert Docks. News of the relief of Mafeking reached Norwich on May 18th at 10 p.m., and was received with great enthusiasm. On the 19th the city was decorated, and Sir Harry Bullard, M.P., on visiting the corn market, was loudly cheered by the farmers and merchants and compelled to make a speech. In the evening the Volunteers paraded the streets, which were illuminated, and a great gathering was held at the Conservative Club, under the presidency of Sir Harry Bullard. Thanksgiving services were held on the 20th in all places of worship in the city and county. The occupation of Pretoria, the crowning point in the success of British arms, was made known in Norwich on June 5th, and on the 6th a great demonstration took place in celebration of the event. A procession, in which the naval and military forces were represented, marched round the city, and afterwards a dense crowd witnessed a cinematographic exhibition in the Market Place. On December 15th a meeting was held under the presidency of Viscount Coke, at the Shirehall, Norwich, at which was inaugurated a movement for the erection of a memorial to Norfolk men who had died whilst on active service in South Africa.
January 8th 1900
A meeting was held at Costessey, under the presidency of Mr. Stafford H. Jerningham, for the purpose of discussing the projected construction of a light railway between Norwich and Dereham. The line, which was to be constructed under the Light Railways Act, was to be fifteen miles in length, and a capital of £85,000 was required. The suggested route was from East Dereham, between North Tuddenham and Mattishall, on to Hockering and East Tuddenham, thence to Honingham, and by Easton and Costessey to Hellesdon, where the Eastern and Midlands line to Norwich would be joined. Meetings were held at other places along the suggested route. On July 26th an inquiry was held at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, by Mr. Gerald A. Fitzgerald and Col. Boughey, C.S.I., Light Railway Commissioners, into an application made for a provisional order for authorising the construction of the railway. After hearing evidence the commissioners stated that they could not see any prospect of a return of capital such as would lead the public to become investors, and, therefore, they did not feel justified in recommending the Board of Trade to grant the order.
January 11th 1900
Died at his residence, Gordon Square, W.C., Dr. James Martineau, aged 95 years. A son of Thomas Martineau, a manufacturer of bombazines and camlets, he was born at Norwich on April 21st, 1805. His sister was the famous Harriet Martineau. From his tenth to his fourteenth year he was educated at Norwich Grammar School, and on leaving school studied medicine, but as the work was not congenial to him he gave it up, with the view of becoming a minister of the denomination to which his family belonged. They were Unitarians, and thenceforward he was prominently identified with that body. He was the author of several theological works, and had conferred upon him by Harvard College, Mass., the honorary degree of LL.D.
January 31st 1900
Information was received at Norwich that an outbreak of foot and mouth disease had occurred at Fritton. All sales necessitating the movement of cattle were prohibited, and public markets in the district closed. On February 7th a deputation of farmers, cattle salesmen, butchers, and others from the county waited upon Mr. Walter Long, President of the Board of Agriculture, for the purpose of asking him to relax in some degree the stringent restrictions placed upon the movement of cattle. Shortly afterwards an amended order was issued, and on March 31st Norwich Cattle Market was re-opened. At Loddon Petty Sessions on May 19th three farmers were summoned for contravention of an order of the Board of Agriculture by the wrongful removal of cattle and sheep. It was urged by the defendants that “it was a case either of removal or starvation,” and the magistrates inflicted nominal penalties. Mr. George Holmes, one of the justices, protested against the false position in which they were placed by the orders of the Board of Agriculture, which could not possibly be obeyed by many owners of stock in the district. During the sitting of the court a memorial was signed by the magistrates and others and sent to Mr. Long, praying for a modification of the restrictions in the Loddon and Clavering Union.
January 31st 1900
Died at the Close, Norwich, the Rev. Edward Bulmer, M.A., minor canon of Norwich Cathedral, aged 67. His father was vicar-choral and custos of Hereford Cathedral, and rector of Morton-on-Lugg, and his grandfather on his mother’s side the famous organist, Dr. Clarke Whitfield, composer of the well-known anthem, “In Jewry is God known.” In addition to writing the libretto to Dr. Bunnett’s “Rhine Maiden,” Canon Bulmer for some years contributed to “The Argosy,” and other magazines, articles end poems, which were characterised by versatility and graceful diction.
February 12th 1900
Mr. Lewis Barton, of Elvin Road, East Dereham, attained his 100th year. He was born at Old Buckenham on February 12th, 1800.
February 15th 1900
Severe weather was experienced in Norfolk. In south Norfolk many of the roads were blocked by snowdrifts. During a storm on the coast the brigantine Lizzie and Edith was wrecked off Eccles and four of the crew drowned.
February 16th 1900
Died at Teignmouth, Mr. Peter Paul Marshall, aged 69. For fourteen years he was City Engineer at Norwich, and resigned his appointment in 1891. Mr. Marshall, who was a native of Edinburgh, was an artist of considerable merit, and had exhibited works at the Royal Academy and the British Institution.
February 22nd 1900
Among the officers reported wounded at the battle of Colenso on this date was Major H. L. Smith, of the 2nd Surrey Regiment, eldest son of Mr. Henry Smith, of Ellingham Hall. Major Smith took part in the Afghan War in 1879, and in the Egyptian War in 1885.
February 23rd 1900
Died at the Britannia Barracks, Norwich, Mr. George Francis Archdale, aged 34. He was the eldest son of Major Archdale, of Coltishall, and was appointed to the command of the Norfolk Volunteer Service Company for active duty in South Africa. Shortly after taking up his quarters at the barracks he was seized with influenza, and fatal complications ensued. Mr. Archdale, who was educated at Wellington College, was a partner in the firm of Messrs. Hogge and Seppings. He held a commission in the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment, was a crack shot, and for several years captained the China Cup team for Norfolk.
March 15th 1900
Died suddenly at Norwich, Mr. Horace Hill, Mus. Doc., aged 67. He was a son of Mr. John Hill, the compiler of the once popular “Norwich Tune Book,” and was largely identified with musical matters in Norwich and Norfolk.
March 29th 1900
Cromer Gas Works, constructed at the cost of upwards of £13,000, were opened.
April 19th 1900
The Norwich Diocesan Conference opened at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, and was concluded on the 20th.
April 19th 1900
A trial trip over the completed portion of the Norwich electric tramways was run. A memorial signed by clergy and others was presented to the Town Council, protesting against the proposed introduction of Sunday traffic over the system. The overhead wires erected by the Tramway Company were inspected on June 12th by Mr. A. P. Trotter, electric adviser to the Board of Trade; and on July 26th Col. Yorke, R.E., of the Railway Department of the Board of Trade, made an inspection of 22 miles of route on about 16 miles of roads. On the 30th the cars commenced running over the Magdalen Road, Earlham Road, Dereham Road, and Thorpe Road routes. Twenty-five thousand persons were carried on this day. The Newmarket Road route was opened on August 9th, and the Unthank Road route on December 22nd.
April 20th 1900
Two men, Pratt, of Tunstead, and Thomas Stafford, from Surrey, were at work in a seven foot cylinder, 90 foot below the surface of the ground, at North Waltham Waterworks, when the earth fell in and they were entombed. The accident occurred at fire p.m. Strenuous efforts were made to rescue the men, and mainly through the exertions of one Tom Holford they were brought to the surface much exhausted, but otherwise uninjured, at 9.15 p.m. on the 21st.
April 25th 1900
The centenary of the death of the poet Cowper at East Dereham on April 25th, 1800, was observed. Cowper spent the closing years of his life in a house in the Market Place, on the site of which the Cowper Congregational church is now erected. His body was interred in St. Edmund’s Chapel, in the north transept of the parish church. At the commemoration service the sermon was preached by the Rev. John Callis, rector of Holy Trinity, Norwich.
April 26th 1900
The Duke of York visited Yarmouth and attended the opening and dedication of the Missions to Seamen Church and Institute.
May 1st 1900
The 7th Hussars, after eighteen months’ service in Norwich, left for Aldershot, under the command of Col. the Hon. R. T. Lawley. The regiment proceeded by three special trains from Trowse. There were 642 men, 362 horses, 28 officers’ chargers; 30 women and 60 children.
May 10th 1900
The reservists and recruits of the 13th Hussars, who relieved the 7th Hussars at Norwich Cavalry Barracks, arrived at Trowse Station by special train. There were between 300 and 400 men.
May 13th 1900
The death occurred at Parsonage Square, Norwich, in his 65th year, of Thomas Mitham, who was regarded as the last representative in the city of the old watchmen who shouted the hour to the public. He was for many years watchman at Gurney’s Bank, and announced the hour once during the night, namely, at 11 o’clock. Prior to his entering the service of the bank he was keeper of the old toll-gate at Thorpe. In his early days he was a schoolmaster in Cambridgeshire, his native county; with his watchman’s duties he combined the work of collecting for various societies, was door-keeper at the Corn Hall, and was a man of great integrity.
May 26th 1900
A reredos of richly carved alabaster, designed by Messrs. Hicks and Charlwood, architects, of Newcastle-on-Tyne, was dedicated at Letheringsett church by the Bishop of Norwich. It was the gift of members of the Jodrell family, who had done much to restore and beautify the church.
June 11th 1900
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Bigham, William Jimby, 38, was indicated for feloniously setting fire to a straw stack at Surlingham. The chief warder informed the judge that the prisoner was, or pretended to be, deaf; he understood nothing and was unable to read or write. The judge thereupon had a jury sworn to decide whether the accused was “mute of malice or by the visitation of God.” They found him to be mute of malice, and the judge ordered a plea of not guilty to be taken, and the case proceeded, with the result that the jury returned a verdict of guilty. His lordship remarking that he had not the slightest doubt prisoner was pretending he could not hear the proceedings, sentenced him to twelve months’ imprisonment.
June 17th 1900
The celebration of the bi-centenary of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel commenced at Norwich.
June 25th 1900
Died at Cleveland House, Newmarket Road, Norwich, Mr. George Clayton Eaton, in his 66th year. A son of Mr. Thomas Damant Eaton, on whose death he succeeded to a liberal competency, Mr. Eaton followed no business occupation, but devoted his time to literary pursuits, gave most valuable aid to various charitable organizations, and took part in furthering the usefulness of several scientific institutions. During the transition of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum from its old quarters in St. Andrew’s to the Castle, Mr. Eaton laboured incessantly, wrote one of the descriptive guides to the Museum, and compiled the catalogue of the pictures. He was vice-president of the Norfolk and Norwich Library. When the library was destroyed by fire in 1898, Mr. Eaton was appointed a member of the special committee who advised upon the purchase of new books, and it was in this respect that his literary knowledge proved valuable. One of his latest acts of public generosity was to give, in conjunction with his brother, the Rev. William Ray Eaton, the site on which the mission-hall for the parish of St. Peter Mancroft is erected.
June 29th 1900
A sale of the Sandringham shorthorns and Southdowns, the property of the Prince of Wales, was conducted at the Home Farm, Wolferton, by Mr. John Thornton. His Royal Highness and a large party from Sandringham were present. Forty-one heifers made a total of £2,954 14s., an average of £72 1s. 3d.; 13 bulls realised £780 3s. The 54 lots of heifers and bulls made £3,724 17s., an average of £69. The sheep made less satisfactory prices than on previous occasions.
June 30th 1900
The Prince and Princess of Wales visited Norwich for the purpose of opening the new Jenny Lind Infirmary. His Royal Highness arrived at Trowse by saloon train from Wolferton at 1.10 p.m., and was received by Mr. Russell J. Colman, chairman of the Committee of Management of the Infirmary. Four minutes later the train by which the Princess travelled from London entered the station. Their Royal Highnesses, escorted by the 13th Hussars, were driven to Carrow Abbey, where a large and distinguished party had been invited to meet them at luncheon; and afterwards they proceeded to the new Infirmary, where they were presented with an address read by Mr. Colman, to which the Prince of Wales replied, and declared the building open. The Princess of Wales then accepted purses in aid of the endowment fund, a short address was delivered by the Dean, and the Bishop offered prayer. On leaving the Infirmary their Royal Highnesses proceeded to the Cathedral, and after hearing a short organ recital, took tea at the Palace. In the evening they left Thorpe station for Sandringham.
July 4th 1900
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Downham Market, under the presidency of Mr. T. L. Hare, M.P., and concluded on the 5th.
July 16th 1900
Mr. J. Roots, of East Dereham, who had undertaken for a wager of £50 to drive his horse from Dereham to Yarmouth and back once every day for six consecutive days, was stopped at Thorpe on the fourth day’s journey, by an officer of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, who prohibited the continuance of the task. The animal was then perfectly sound and in good condition.
July 16th 1900
The opening of the first portion of the new pier at Cromer took place.
July 19th 1900
Mrs. Mary Ann Towler, of Keppel Street, Lynn, entered upon her 100th year.
July 20th 1900
A severe thunderstorm passed over Norfolk. Many cattle and sheep were killed by lightning in various parts of the county. Very hot weather was recorded in the following week.
July 21st 1900
The Norfolk Volunteer Brigade, under Col. Shepherd, D.S.O., acting Brigadier-General, went into camp at Colchester.
July 27th 1900
A fire took place in the timber-yard of Messrs. J. Porter and Sons, Norwich, and caused damage to the amount of several thousands of pounds.
August 3rd 1900
A severe gale swept over the county and did serious damage to orchards, in which thousands of tons of unripe fruit were destroyed. Many shipping disasters occurred upon the coast.
August 4th 1900
A new lifeboat named the Licensed Victualler, provided by liberal contributions from the Licensed Victuallers’ Fund, was received by Commander Holmes, R.N., at Hunstanton. A ceremonial launch was dispensed with in consequence of the roughness of the sea.
August 4th 1900
Died at Heigham House, Norwich, aged 69, Mr. John Boyce, who had for many years been identified with the firm of Messrs. Bullard and Sons, of the Anchor Brewery. Mr. Boyce, who was a son of Mr. Samuel Boyce, of East Dereham, was elected a representative of the old Second Ward in November, 1867, and served continuously until 1892, when, on the redistribution of seats, he was transferred to the Earlham Ward. He retired in 1894, and on June 18th, 1895, was elected an alderman on the death of Col. Bignold. Mr. Boyce, who was a magistrate for the city, was in politics a Conservative.
August 5th 1900
Died at Eaton, Norwich, Mr. Philip Back, aged 76. He entered the Corporation in 1873 as member for the old Fourth Ward, and on his re-election in 1876, with Mr. Ladyman, the memorable election petition was presented by his Liberal opponents, Mr. J. D. Smith and Mr. S. Newman, against the return of himself and his colleague. The commissioner gave judgment in favour of the respondents, with costs, and Mr. Back retained his seat. In 1879 he was appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
August 10th 1900
The time ball, erected on the north-west angle of the battlements of Norwich Castle, was used for the first time. It announces Greenwich time every day at 10 a.m.
August 14th 1900
Lord Walsingham addressed a letter to the Press announcing that an attempt was being made to re-introduce the great bustard in what was formerly one of the favourite haunts of this fine bird on the borders of the Norfolk fens. The experiment, his lordship stated, was due to the public spirit of an English gentleman living abroad, and he appealed to the public for the protection of the birds.
August 21st 1900
Prince Pura Chatra of Siam and his brother, Prince Yugula, arrived at Norwich from Cromer, and visited several places of interest in the city.
August 24th 1900
Dr. A. H. Mann, of Cambridge, was elected chorus master of the Norwich Festival, in succession to Dr. Horace Hill, deceased.
September 17th 1900
The Prince of Wales’ Own Norfolk Artillery Militia commenced a route march through Norfolk, under the command of Col. Viscount Coke. The regiment left Yarmouth in two river steamers, and landing at Buckenham Ferry marched to Langley Park, the seat of Sir Reginald Proctor Beauchamp, where they encamped for the night. The march was resumed on the 18th to Dunston Park; on the 19th to Wymondham; on the 20th to Dereham; on the 21st to Westacre; and on the 22nd to Hempton Green, where Sunday, the 23rd, was spent, and the regiment attended service at Fakenham church. On the 24th the column marched to Holkham, and encamped in the park; on the 25th the march was continued to Melton Constable Park; on the 26th to Aylsham; on the 27th to North Walsham; and on the 28th to Woodbastwick Park, where the last camp was formed. On the 29th the column marched from Woodbastwick to headquarters at Yarmouth. The actual distance marched in the twelve days was 150 miles.
September 22nd 1900
The body of a woman was found on the south beach at Yarmouth. The medical evidence proved that death was due to strangulation caused by a bootlace bound tightly round the neck. The deceased had been lodging at Yarmouth since the 15th, and had stated that her name was Hood. On November 9th the London police arrested at Woolwich a man named Herbert John Bennett, who was brought to Yarmouth and charged with the murder of the woman—his wife. On November 24th he was committed for trial at the Norfolk Assizes, but owing to the prejudice excited against the prisoner by a certain section of the Press, the venue of trial was removed to the Old Bailey, where he was found guilty and sentenced to death. (Bennett was executed at Norwich Prison in March, 1901.)
September 25th 1900
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council it was resolved that the question of applying to Parliament for powers to purchase compulsorily the Norwich Waterworks undertaking, be referred to a committee, and if in their judgment it was considered to be in the interests of the city to obtain such powers, they be empowered to take steps for the promotion of a Bill for that purpose, and further that they negotiate with the Waterworks Company for the purchase, if possible, by agreement.
September 29th 1900
Sir Samuel Hoare, Bart., and Sir Harry Bullard were nominated at the Guildhall, Norwich, representatives of the city in Parliament. The Liberal party offered no opposition, and the Sheriff (Mr. S. Wainwright) declared the Conservative candidates duly elected.
September 29th 1900
Sir John Colomb, K.C.M.G., Conservative, was returned unopposed member of Parliament for Great Yarmouth.
September 29th 1900
Mr. T. Gibson Bowles (C.) and Mr. F. Handel Booth (L.) were nominated for the representation of King’s Lynn. The polling on October 1st resulted as follows: Bowles, 1,499; Booth, 1,332.
October 1st 1900
The nomination of candidates for East Norfolk took place at the Shirehall, Norwich. Mr. William Louis St. Julian Prioleau, of Plumstead Hall, was proposed by the Unionists, and Mr. Robert James Price by the Liberals. The polling on the 5th was as follows: Price, 4,563; Prioleau, 3,733.
October 1st 1900
At the Town Hall, Aylsham, Major Henry Speaker Follett, 7th Dragoon Guards, of Coney Weston, Suffolk, was nominated Unionist candidate for North Norfolk; Sir William Brampton Gurdon, K.C., of Assington Hall, Suffolk, was nominated by the Liberals. The polling took place on the 8th: Gurdon, 4,490; Follett, 3,493.
October 4th 1900
Polling took place for South Norfolk. The candidates were Mr. Edward Mann, of Thelveton Hall (Unionist), and Mr. A. W. Soames (Liberal). The result was declared at the Shirehall, Norwich, on the 5th: Soames, 3,986; Mann, 3,566.
October 4th 1900
The nomination took place at the Town Hall, Lynn, of Sir William ffolkes, Bart., of Hillington (Unionist), and Mr. George White, of Eaton Grange, Norwich, manufacturer (Liberal), as candidates for North-West Norfolk. The polling was on the 11th, and the result was declared on the 12th: White, 4,287; ffolkes, 3,811.
October 4th 1900
Mr. William Lewis Boyle, of Elsing Hall (Unionist), and Mr. F. W. Wilson, of the Dale, Scarning (Liberal), were nominated at East Dereham for the representation of Mid Norfolk. The election took place on the 8th, and the poll was declared on the 9th: Wilson, 3,996; Boyle, 3,422.
October 5th 1900
At Swaffham, Mr. Thomas Leigh Hare, of Stow Hall (Unionist), and Mr. Richard Winfrey, of Sutton House, Peterborough, and Stanley House, Swaffham (Liberal), were nominated candidates for South-West Norfolk. The polling on the 12th resulted as follows: Hare, 3,702; Winfrey, 3,636.
October 6th 1900
Died at Pinetown Bridge, South Africa, Mr. Walter Waring, surgeon Norwich. He had gone out to the seat of war as captain in the Militia Medical Staff Corps, and the cause of his death was dysentery. Formerly medical-officer to the Norwich Dispensary, he was known as Mr. Walter Scott Walters; he afterwards assumed the name of Waring.
October 17th 1900
Died at the Close, Norwich, the Ven. Henry Ralph Nevill, Archdeacon of Norfolk and a canon of Norwich Cathedral. He was fourth son of Mr. Richard J. Nevill, of Llangennech Park, Carmarthenshire, and was born June 17th, 1821. For four years he was travelling tutor to the Earl of Ducie. His first curacy was at Yarmouth, in 1848, and he ultimately became vicar of that parish in 1859. In 1873 he received a residentiary canonry in Norwich Cathedral, and in 1874 Bishop Pelham appointed him Archdeacon of Norfolk, in succession to Archdeacon Blakelock. In 1881 Archdeacon Nevill was elected vicar of St. Peter Mancroft, and held the living until 1884. He was a member of the governing body of the Grammar School, and was well known throughout the diocese as an able organiser and administrator.
October 19th 1900
The Earl of Albemarle was welcomed with great enthusiasm at Quidenham Park on his return from active service in South Africa in command of the City of London Imperial Volunteers.
November 6th 1900
Madame Albani appeared at a concert at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The other _artistes_ included Miss Ada Crossley, Mr. William Green, Mr. Douglas Powell, Mr. Tivadar Nachez (solo violin), and Mr. Frederick Dawson (solo pianoforte).
November 9th 1900
Mr. J. J. Dawson Paul was elected Mayor, and Mr. Sydney Cozens-Hardy appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 23rd 1900
Died at Southrepps rectory, the Hon. and Rev. John Harbord, aged 68. He was an accurate investigator of the genealogy of county families, and a student of college antiquities.
December 2nd 1900
Died at Ketteringham Park, Sir Francis George Manningham Boileau, Bart. He was born March 26th, 1830, and was the son of Sir John Boileau, F.R.S., who was created first baronet in 1838, and died in 1869. Sir Francis was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, and was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn in 1855. He took a prominent position in public life, and in the administration of county business; and was president of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society and of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists’ Society. On the formation of the Norwich Light Horse he held a commission in the corps, and subsequently transferred his services to the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment, of which he was for several years lieutenant-colonel. In politics Sir Francis Boileau was formerly a Liberal, but he became strongly Unionist, and one of his last acts was to write, on behalf of the Unionists of South Norfolk, an address presented to Mr. Edward Mann for his services to the party at the General Election.
December 10th 1900
Died at Ludham, Mr. William Heath, in his 90th year. He was formerly a well-known breeder of cattle, and a successful exhibitor at the Smithfield Club and other shows. In the days of his prosperity he dispensed unbounded hospitality at the Hall Farm; in after years he experienced severe reverses and lived in retirement in the locality where he had once held so prominent a position.
December 13th 1900
The Rev. W. M. Hay Aitken was installed a canon of Norwich Cathedral, in place of the Ven. Archdeacon Nevill, deceased.
December 24th 1900
A woman named Kelly, aged 27, the widow of a reservist who had died in South Africa, was found in her cottage at Stokesby suffering from severe abdominal wounds, from which she died in the course of the day. A half-witted lad named Cossey, aged 20, was apprehended on the charge of murdering the woman. END OF VOL. II.