January 1st 1899
In the list of New Year’s Honours appeared the name of Mr. Robert Thornhagh Gurdon, of Letton, upon whom her Majesty had conferred the dignity of peerage. Mr. Gurdon assumed the title of Baron Cranworth.
January 5th 1899
Cringleford church, after restoration at the cost of about £1,400, was re-opened by the Bishop of Norwich.
January 7th 1899
Died, aged 78, Mr. Samuel Culley, of Grove Avenue, Norwich, who held the office of City Accountant from 1887 to 1898. He was a son of Mr. Richard Culley, and at an early age learned farming in order to fit him for Colonial life. In 1841 he went to New Zealand, but left on the outbreak of the Maori War, and shipping on board an American whaler obtained the post of second mate. On the voyage the crew mutinied, and the captain lost his reason. Mr. Culley put the ringleaders in irons, took command of the vessel, and brought her to Rhode Island. On returning to Norwich he set up business as a corn merchant, and afterwards as a public accountant. He was identified with the formation of the Norwich Steam Laundry and Baths Company and the Norwich Omnibus Company.
January 13th 1899
The Bishop of Norwich acknowledged the receipt of a memorial signed by 365 clergymen, 123 lay members of Conference, and 100 magistrates, resident in the diocese, who had expressed their resolve to strengthen as far as possible the hands of the bishops in their efforts to check unsound teaching and to restrain illegal practices in the Church. The memorial gave rise to much dissatisfaction and to a considerable amount of acrimonious correspondence in the public Press.
January 14th 1899
At a meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital it was announced that Mr. Cadge had subscribed the munificent gift of £10,000 to the Leicester Perpetual Endowment Fund. Mr. Cadge had previously presented to the institution an anonymous gift of £10,000.
February 3rd 1899
Mrs. Garrett Anderson, M.D., delivered a lecture at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, on “The History and Effect of Vaccination.” The Dean of Norwich presided, and a committee was formed in order to circulate information on the subject.
February 7th 1899
Died at Diss rectory, the Rev. Charles Robertson Manning, M.A., F.S.A., honorary canon of Norwich Cathedral, rural dean of Redenhall, and for 42 years rector of Diss, aged 73. Canon Manning was a magistrate for the county, and a member of the Diss School Board, but he was best known for his labours in archæology. He published “A List of Monumental Brasses remaining in England,” and shortly before his death compiled “A List of Monumental Brasses omitted by Blomefield.” Canon Manning was a well-known authority on church plate, and among other subjects upon which he wrote were church architecture, lecterns, fonts, heraldry, seals, coins, mediæval patens, and antiquarians objects of almost every kind.
February 13th 1899
Mr. Leo Trevor’s play, “Brother Officers,” which was produced at the Garrick Theatre in October, 1898, and became one of the successes of the London season, was performed at Norwich Theatre by Miss Muriel Wylford’s company.
February 17th 1899
A “silver cradle”—a massive silver bowl—was presented to the Mayor of Norwich (Mr. G. H. Morse) in commemoration of the birth during his Mayoralty of his son Christopher Charles on November 19th, 1898.
February 21st 1899
Died at Denver rectory, in his 67th year, the Rev. James Mourant Du Port, rector of Denver, honorary canon of Norwich Cathedral, and rural dean. Canon Du Port formerly held the living of Mattishall, took great interest in educational work in the diocese, and was one of the secretaries of the Norwich Diocesan Conference.
February 23rd 1899
It was announced that her Majesty the Queen had been pleased to approve the appointment of Mr. H. H. Cozens-Hardy, Q.C., M.P., as one of the justices of the High Court of Justice.
February 25th 1899
Died at Marham Hall, aged 73, Mr. Thomas Brown, a well-known breeder of pedigree sheep and cattle. He was the originator of the successful gatherings held for so many years at Marham in celebration of the annual ram letting.
March 3rd 1899
Died at Christiania, Mr. Joseph Stanley, who formerly practised as a solicitor at Norwich. He for several years represented the First Ward in the Town Council, and on the death of Mr. Robert Culley was elected County Coroner after an exciting contest. He it was who served a writ upon the Mayor of Norwich in the matter of the Town Close Estate, with the result that the estate, which had long been regarded as the exclusive property of the freemen, was declared to be a charity. Mr. Stanley had resided in Norway ten years preceding his death.
March 4th 1899
Died, Mr. James R. Bulwer, Q.C., one of the Masters in Lunacy. Mr. Bulwer was the eldest son of the Rev. J. Bulwer, rector of Hunworth-with-Stody, and was born in 1820. He was called to the Bar by the Inner Temple in 1847, and became treasurer in 1880. He took silk in 1865. From 1861 to 1866 he was Recorder of Ipswich, and from 1866 to 1898 he held the like office at Cambridge. He was also a justice of the peace for Norfolk, and was one of the chairmen of Norfolk Quarter Sessions, a post which he resigned on December 31st, 1898. Mr. Bulwer was Conservative member for Ipswich from 1874 to 1880, and represented Cambridgeshire from 1881 to 1885. From 1873 to 1884 he was lieutenant-colonel of the Inns of Court Volunteers.
March 12th 1899
Mrs. Keeley, for many years one of the leading actresses on the English stage, died at her residence in London, in her 93rd year. She was a native of Ipswich, and in her young days, as Miss Annie Goward, was a popular member of the Norwich Company.
March 16th 1899
Paderewski, the famous pianist, appeared at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
March 16th 1899
The election of a member to fill the vacancy in the representation of North Norfolk by the elevation of Mr. H. H. Cozens-Hardy to the judicial bench, took place on this date. The candidates were Sir Kenneth Kemp, Bart. (U.), and Sir William Brampton Gurdon, Bart. (L). The poll was declared at Aylsham Town Hall on the 17th as follows: Gurdon, 4,775; Kemp, 3,610.
March 19th 1899
After a winter of exceptional mildness very severe weather set in. In some localities the readings of the thermometer were the lowest since 1895. On the 20th a remarkable whirlwind, which did considerable damage to three cottages, occurred at Worstead. February 10th was recorded as “the hottest day for half a century for the time of year.”
March 25th 1899
An effort was made at Norwich to inaugurate a public subscription for the erection of a memorial to Sir Thomas Browne, the famous author of “The Religio Medici” and other works.
March 25th 1899
Died at Thorpe Road, Norwich, Mr. Joshua Womersley, an alderman of the city, aged 77. A native of Yorkshire, he came to Norfolk in 1811 and took employment with the firm of Messrs. Colman at Stoke. He devised a method of making starch from rice, and received the congratulations of the Patent Office on having overcome difficulties in starch making which had hitherto been considered insurmountable. In politics Mr. Womersley was strongly Liberal, and admitted at the Royal Commission in 1868 “having kept certain voters in tow with the object of preventing them being tampered with by the other side.”
March 28th 1899
The sale took place at Easton Lodge Farm by Mr. John Thornton of the red-poll herd of Mr. J. J. Colman. The total sum realised was 4,262½ guineas, of which 1,114 guineas were paid for the bulls. The average per head was a little over £77. The sale of Mr. Colman’s flock of Southdowns took place at Crown Point on August 9th, and was attended by leading sheep breeders and flock masters from all parts of the kingdom. Mr. Thornton disposed of 999 lots, which realised a grand total of £5,347 6s. 6d.
April 1st 1899
Strangers’ Hall, Norwich, it was announced, had been purchased by Mr. L. G. Bolingbroke.
April 6th 1899
The Norwich Diocesan Conference met at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, and continued its deliberations on the 7th.
April 17th 1899
The memorial stone of the Norwich Technical Institute was laid by the Mayor (Mr. G. H. Morse). The building was designed by the City Engineer (Mr. A. E. Collins), and erected by Mr. T. H. Blyth, of Foulsham.
April 17th 1899
The centenary celebration of the Church of England Missionary Society commenced at Norwich with services at the Cathedral and the city churches and a meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall.
May 1st 1899
The Great Eastern Railway Company introduced a restaurant car service on their system between London, Cromer, and Lowestoft.
May 1st 1899
The 7th Hussars marched from Norwich _en route_ to Colchester, where they were temporarily stationed during the renovation of Norwich Cavalry Barracks. Among the officers was Prince Alexander of Teck. The regiment encamped on Stuston Common on the first night, at Broom Hill on the second night, and completed the march on the 3rd.
May 6th 1899
Died at Northrepps Hall, Mr. Richard Hanbury Gurney, aged 44 years. He was a son of Mr. John Henry Gurney, and served the office of High Sheriff in 1896.
May 6th 1899
Lord Wolseley, Commander-in-Chief of the Army, arrived at Norwich, accompanied by Major-General Kelly-Kenny, Inspector-General of the Auxiliary Forces, Col. Gough, military secretary, and Col. Allen, _aide-de-camp_. On the 7th his lordship, with Major-General Sir W. F. Gatacre, commanding the Eastern District, attended service at the Cathedral, and afterwards inspected a number of old soldiers in the cloisters, and visited the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home. Lord Wolseley on the 8th inspected the depôt and the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment at the Britannia Barracks, and in the afternoon proceeded to Yarmouth, where he inspected the troops.
May 17th 1899
The Duke of York’s Own Loyal Suffolk Hussars assembled at Norwich for the annual training, which concluded on the 25th. Lieut.-Col. Lucas was in command of the regiment.
May 23rd 1899
The Sandringham hackneys, the property of the Prince of Wales, were sold by auction at the Wolferton Stud Farm. His Royal Highness, who was accompanied by the Duke of York, attended the public luncheon, at which a distinguished company was present. The total amount of the sale was 11,611 guineas, an average price per head of £178.
May 24th 1899
The list of Birthday Honours, commemorative of the 80th birthday of the Queen, included the name of Mr. Samuel Hoare, M.P., upon whom her Majesty conferred a baronetcy.
May 25th 1899
The nave of Norwich Cathedral was re-opened after restoration, the cost of which was generously undertaken by Sir Samuel Hoare, Bart., M.P., and Lady Hoare. The Mayor and Corporation attended the service, at which the sermon was preached by the Dean of Norwich.
May 25th 1899
The Prince of Wales, accompanied by Prince Alexander of Teck, Admiral Sir Henry Keppel and others, arrived at Yarmouth, and on the 26th inspected the Prince of Wales’ Own Norfolk Artillery Militia, the 3rd Norfolk Militia, and other troops. In the evening his Royal Highness attended a ball given by Viscount Coke and the Artillery officers, and on the 27th terminated his visit.
May 25th 1899
The Royal Arcade, Norwich, erected on the site of the old Royal Hotel, was opened. The Arcade was built by Messrs. J. Youngs and Son from plans by Messrs. G. J. and F. W. Skipper.
May 27th 1899
The Duke and Duchess of York visited King’s Lynn, and in the grounds of the West Norfolk and Lynn Hospital received purses on behalf of a fund to defray the cost of a children’s wing added to the Hospital as a memorial of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
June 1st 1899
At the Norwich Consistory Court, before Mr. Chancellor Blofeld, the Bishop of the Diocese pronounced sentence of deprivation on the Rev. Bryan O’Malley, vicar of Flitch am, and made an order upon the defendant for the payment of the costs of the proceedings.
June 2nd 1899
At a meeting of the Scots Society of St. Andrew, Norwich, held at the Maid’s Head Hotel, the president, Dr. Thomson, unveiled portraits of Dr. John Murray and of his wife, Mary Boyles Murray, presented to the society by Mr. Bronson Murray, of New York, in recognition of the work done by the society in restoring the tomb of Dr. Murray in the churchyard of Wells-next-the-Sea. The portraits were copied by Mrs. Leslie Bush-Brown, great great grandniece of Dr. Murray, from the original works belonging to the Guion family, of Senica Falls, New York.
June 27th 1899
Died at St. Stephen’s House, Norwich, Mr. John Copeman, aged 87. Senior partner in the firm of Messrs. Copeman and Sons, wholesale grocers, Castle Street, he was for several years a member of the Town Council and some time alderman. It was he who suggested the purchase of the sewerage farm by the Corporation. He was a member of the Norwich Board of Guardians, and took part with Mr. J. H. Tillett and the Rev. George Gould and others in securing the passing of the Norwich Poor Act of 1863. Mr. Copeman was one of the founders of the “Norfolk News,” and for some time edited it.
June 28th 1899
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Diss. Mr. Edward Mann presided at the luncheon. The exhibition closed on the 29th.
July 10th 1899
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council a report was received from a joint committee of the Corporation and the Board of Guardians upon the subject of the rating of city property, and a resolution was adopted recommending important alterations in the assessments. The Guardians on December 20th accepted a recommendation for the appointment of valuers to undertake the work of reassessment.
July 17th 1899
Died at Ivy Lodge, Eaton, Mr. C. C. Rix Spelman, Deputy-Mayor of Norwich, aged 55. He was a son of Mr. Benjamin Rix, of Ipswich, and was born at Yarmouth. In 1858 he became associated with the firm of Messrs. Spelman, and on joining as a partner in 1874 took the name of Spelman—his mother’s surname—in addition to his own. In 1897 he was elected Mayor of Norwich, and was in politics a Liberal. He was twice married—first to Miss Franklin, of Norwich, who died in 1877, and secondly, in 1880, to Mrs. R. E. Gibson, sister of Mr. F. Oddin Taylor.
July 22nd 1899
“The Earl of Leicester has forwarded to the governors of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital a cheque for £5,000 for building new quarters for nurses at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.”
July 23rd 1899
The Norfolk Volunteer Brigade went into camp at Colchester.
July 29th 1899
Barnum and Bailey’s great show visited Norwich. It came by special trains from Yarmouth, and on leaving Norwich proceeded to Bury St. Edmund’s.
July 31st 1899
Died, the Rev. Canon Hinds Howell, aged 91. He was seventh son of Mr. C. A. Howell, Treasurer of the Island of Barbados, where he was born. Canon Howell was many years rector of Drayton, and one of the most energetic clergymen in the diocese.
August 1st 1899
Died at Stanley Avenue, Thorpe, Norwich, Mr. Edwin Plumer Price, Q.C., formerly Recorder of York, and judge of the Norfolk County Court, aged 81. In his younger days he unsuccessfully contested Sheffield in the Conservative interest.
August 2nd 1899
The Norfolk and Norwich Library was opened after reconstruction at the cost of £1,719.
August 7th 1899
A fire occurred at Messrs. Leake and Sons’ oil mill at Lynn. The damage was estimated at from £10,000 to £12,000.
August 7th 1899
Mr. Robert Borrett sold by auction at Wacton the wheat and barley on about 170 acres of land in the parishes of Moulton St. Michael, Pulham Market, Tivetshall St. Margaret, and Wacton, in the occupation of Mr. Fisher. The auctioneer’s advertisement stated that the growing crops were offered in consequence of there being a scarcity of labour—a circumstance unprecedented in Norfolk.
August 11th 1899
Died while on a yachting cruise off the coast of Iceland, Sir Edmund Broughton Knowles Lacon, Bart., head of the banking firm of Lacons, Youell, and Kemp. He was born May 9th, 1842, and in 1892 served the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk.
August 17th 1899
The 50 miles’ championship of the National Cyclists’ Union, Eastern Counties Centre, was won on the Earlham Road Recreation Ground, Norwich, by C. F. Morley (champion 1897–98) in 2 hours 20 minutes 49 4-5ths seconds.
August 19th 1899
Died at Hilgay rectory, Downham, the Rev. St. Vincent Beechey, rector of the parish, and honorary canon of Manchester, in his 94th year. Canon Beechey was born August 7th, 1806, at Harley Street, Cavendish Square, and was the son of Sir William Beechey, the eminent painter and friend of Lord Nelson, whose portrait, limned by him, is one of the most valuable of the pictures in St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. Young Beechey was educated at Boulogne, where he not only acquired a thorough knowledge of the French language, but became an expert swordsman. Thence he proceeded to a school at Sidcup, kept by the father of Sheridan Knowles, and at the age of 16 he matriculated at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and obtained two scholarships. While preparing for Holy Orders he studied medicine at the Western Hospital. In 1829 he was ordained by the Bishop of Rochester, and received the curacy of Aylesford, near Maidstone. He next became curate of Hilgay, and in 1841 was appointed to the living of Thornton le Fylde, with Fleetwood, Lancashire. Acting on the suggestion of a Corsican named Vantine, he established Rossall School, one of the most successful educational institutions in the north, and of which he was secretary for 28 years. In 1852 he was appointed to the vicarage of Worsley, near Manchester, and in 1872, at the age of sixty, he accepted the living of Hilgay, where for 27 years he faithfully ministered to the parishioners. Canon Beechey took great interest in astronomical studies, and was a popular lecturer. His favourite topics were the expansion of the empire, the origin of writing, and, in the last years of his life, the Röntgen rays.
August 20th 1899
A serious fire occurred on the premises of Mr. Thomas Wright, boot manufacturer and clothier, High Street, East Dereham. The damage was estimated at upwards of £1,000.
August 26th 1899
Kimberley Hall, the seat of the Earl of Kimberley, narrowly escaped total destruction by fire. The outbreak was confined to one portion of the house, and the damage was estimated at £2,000.
August 27th 1899
North Walsham Town Hall was destroyed by fire.
September 5th 1899
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council a report was received from the City Committee recommending that they be empowered to submit a scheme for the erection of municipal buildings. The debate was adjourned, and Mr. L. J. Tillett gave notice of his intention to move “That the financial position of the city at the present time is such that it is undesirable to now embark upon any scheme of whatsoever nature for the erection of a new town-hall, which would involve the expenditure of a large amount, and thereby greatly increase the rates and the debt of the city, and that the preparation of such scheme do stand over until the re-valuation of the city has been completed.” At an adjourned meeting on the 26th a resolution was adopted empowering the City Committee to submit a scheme to the Town Council. Meanwhile the proposal was adversely criticised by the citizens, and at a meeting of ratepayers held at Noverre’s Rooms on October 11th, a strong protest was made in opposition to the scheme. At a special meeting of the Town Council on December 8th a petition was presented against the scheme, and ultimately a resolution was adopted for rescinding the former motion.
September 9th 1899
“Messrs. J. H. Walter and Co., proprietors of Taverham Mills, the last remaining of the old paper mills in Norfolk, have issued a circular stating: ‘Early in the year we had to submit to a very heavy reduction in the price of our paper. We felt that we could only carry on the mills at a serious loss, and the balance-sheet, which we have just got out, fully confirms our impression. We have, therefore, decided to shut down as soon as possible.’ Messrs. Delane, Magnay, and Co. took over the mills in 1846, and the present proprietors in 1884.”
September 29th 1899
A violent gale occurred on the east coast. “At Yarmouth the velocity of the wind reached 55 miles per hour, and the rainfall was 1¼ inches.”
October 3rd 1899
The twenty-sixth Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The principal vocalists were Madame Albani, Miss Clara Butt, Miss Marie Brema, Miss Ethel Wood, Miss Kelyn Williams, Miss Edith Nutter, and Mrs. Julia Franks; Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Ben Davies, Mr. Andrew Black, Mr. David Bispham, Mr. Whitworth Mitton, Mr. Robert Radford, and Mr. F. Ranalow. Mr. Alberto Randegger conducted. At the opening performance “Faust” (Berlioz) was produced; 4th: morning, symphony in B minor (Schubert), “Biblical Songs” (Dvorák), “Hymn of Praise” (Mendelssohn), evening, opera, “Sampson and Delilah” (C. Saint-Saëns), first time in Norwich; 5th: morning, Meditation (Edward Elgar), first time in Norwich, conducted by the composer, sacred trilogy, “Passion of Christ” (Don Lorenzo Perosi), first performance in England, ode, “A Song of Darkness and Light” (C. Hubert H. Parry), first time in Norwich, conducted by the composer, evening, overture, “Mignon” (Ambroise Thomas), cycle of songs, “Sea Pictures” (Edward Elgar), composed expressly for the Festival and conducted by the composer, trio des flutes, “Dall’ Aurora” (Weyerbeer), new suite, “The Seasons” (Edward German), composed expressly for the Festival and conducted by the composer, “Ode to the Passions” (written by William Collins, 1721–1759, set to music for chorus and orchestra by Frederic H. Cowen), first time in Norwich, and conducted by the composer, “Tristan and Isolde” (Wagner), scena, “The Dream of Endymion” (F. F. Cowen), conducted by the composer, overture, “Di Ballo” (Sullivan); 6th: morning, “The Messiah,” evening, cantata, “Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast” (S. Coleridge Taylor), first time in Norwich, conducted by the composer. The receipts amounted to £5,398, and the payments to £4,998.
October 16th 1899
Mr. Peter E. Hansell was presented by the magistrates and officials of the North Erpingham division with a massive silver Irish bowl on the occasion of this retirement after twenty years’ honourable and efficient service as clerk to the justices.
October 16th 1899
A meeting of the party was held at the Norwich and Norfolk Conservative Club, to express approval of the policy of her Majesty’s Government in relation to the conduct of affairs in South Africa. Mr. W. T. Stead, author of a notorious pamphlet, “Shall I slay my brother Boer?” essayed to address a meeting in the Agricultural Hall Assembly Room on November 6th, on the subject “Is England Doomed?” Mr. Henry Broadhurst, M.P., presided, and a strongly antagonistic audience offered resistance to the proceedings. The National Anthem and patriotic songs were song, and Mr. Stead and his supporters were compelled to leave the platform. A collection was then made for the widows and orphans of soldiers in South Africa, and a resolution adopted affirming that Great Britain must be the paramount power in South Africa, and expressing the hope that the Government would prosecute the war to its final issue with the utmost vigour. On November 9th meetings were held in various parts of Norfolk under the auspices of the National Union of Conservative and Constitutional Associations, at which resolutions were adopted expressive of confidence in the Government. Funds were opened in county and city for the relief of the widows and orphans of soldiers who had fallen in the war, and for the assistance of soldiers’ wives and families. On December 27th the reservists of the Norfolk Regiment, assembled at the Britannia Barracks to the number of 320, and on the 28th, amid a great demonstration, left the city _en route_ to South Africa. Early on the morning of the 31st a second contingent of reservists, numbering 320, left Norwich for Aldershot. Their departure from Thorpe Station was witnessed by the Mayor (Mr. James Clabburn), Sir Harry Bullard, M.P., and other prominent citizens. (_See_ January 2nd, 1900.)
October 17th 1899
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, the Sewerage Committee reported that the main drainage of the city, referred to in the report of the City Engineer on February 2nd, 1895, had been completed in accordance with the recommendations laid down therein. It was believed that the City Engineer’s estimate of £152,000 would nearly cover the whole cost of the works, the excess of expenditure not being more than two per cent. of the total.
October 25th 1899
Died at Hingham, Mr. Charles Crawshay. He was a son of Mr. Richard Crawshay, of Rowfant, Surrey, and was born February 26th, 1815. His father settled at Hingham as a brewer, and afterwards opened a brewery in St. Stephen’s Street, Norwich. Young Crawshay was sent to Messrs. Charington, Head, and Co.’s brewery in London, where he received an excellent training, and returning to Norwich took charge of the St. Stephen’s brewery. Ultimately he became partner with Mr. John Youngs in the King Street brewery, and retained his connection with the firm of Youngs, Crawshay, and Youngs until his death. Mr. Crawshay was one of the foremost sportsmen in the county, a skilled whip, an excellent judge of a horse, a clever shot, and as a yachtsman he held his own in Norfolk waters with his well-known yacht, the Kestrel. In 1856 Mr. Crawshay married the daughter of Sir William Cubitt, the constructor of Lowestoft harbour. In 1857 he was appointed Sheriff of Norwich. Mr. Crawshay was a famous breeder of Southdown and cross-bred sheep, a great benefactor of Hingham, and in dress, manners, and tastes he retained all the best characteristics of a country gentleman of the old school, and paid little heed to modern innovations.
October 27th 1899
The portrait of Mr. J. J. Colman, painted by Professor Hubert Herkomer, R.A., at the cost of 600 guineas, was unveiled by Sir Harry Bullard, M.P., at St. Andrew’s Hall. The portrait is identical with the one at Carrow Abbey, painted by the same artist three years previously, but with the addition of certain details.
November 7th 1899
The High Sheriff of Norfolk (Mr. H. M. Upcher) gave, at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, a county ball, which was attended by 500 guests.
November 9th 1899
Mr. James Clabburn was elected Mayor, and Mr. Samuel Wainwright appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 10th 1899
The Norwich and Norfolk Conservative Club was formally opened by Mr. Walter Long on the occasion of the conference of the Eastern Division of the National Union of Conservative and Constitutional Associations. Sir Harry Bullard, M.P., president, and Lady Bullard gave a _conversazione_ at St. Andrew’s Hall in the evening.
November 15th 1899
The Norwich Omnibus Company wound up its affairs in consequence of the approaching completion of the tramways scheme. The company was formed in 1878 with a capital of £5,920.
November 25th 1899
The German Emperor and Empress arrived at Sandringham on a visit to the Prince and Princess of Wales. Their Majesties, who were accompanied by the Prince of Wales, were met at Wolferton station by the Princess of Wales, the Duke and Duchess of York, Princess Victoria of Wales, and Sir William and Lady ffolkes. The Emperor and Empress accompanied the Prince and Princess of Wales to church on the 26th, the Sandringham preserves were shot over on the 27th, and their Majesties departed on the 28th.
November 28th 1899
Killed in action at the battle of Modder River, Lieut.-Col. Horace Robert Stopford, commanding 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards. Col. Stopford was a resident of Sheringham, captain of the Sheringham Golf Club in 1895, and a member of the Improvement Committee. He was in his 44th year.
December 12th 1899
The new organ erected at Norwich Cathedral at the cost of £6,000, with the celestial organ given by Mr. Hugh G. Barclay, was opened at a special service attended by the Mayor and members of the Corporation. The sermon was preached by the Dean, and a recital was given by Dr. A. L. Peace, organist of St. George’s Hall, Liverpool.
December 30th 1899
The extensive premises known as “Free Trade House,” Swaffham Road, East Dereham, occupied by Mr. F. Vincent, grocer, factor, and general warehouseman, were destroyed by fire. The loss was estimated at £2,500.
December 30th 1899
Died at 5, Park Square, Regent’s Park, London, Sir James Paget, Bart. The son of Mr. Samuel Paget, merchant, of Yarmouth, he was born in that town on January 11th, 1814. After a most distinguished medical career he was appointed Serjeant-Surgeon to the Queen, and surgeon to the Prince of Wales. He was created a baronet in 1871. His third son, the Rev. H. Luke Paget, vicar of St. Pancras, married a daughter of Sir Samuel Hoare, Bart., M.P.