January 14th 1898
At Aylsham County Court, before Judge Willis, Q.C., was tried the action Astley and Wyrley-Birch _v._ MacLean. The plaintiffs sought to recover £50 damages from the defendant, who was master of the Baconsthorpe Harriers, for trespassing upon their lands and for disturbing game thereon. The defence was that a fair but unsuccessful attempt had been made to prevent the hounds from getting into the cover, and as soon as possible they were drawn out. The jury found a verdict for the plaintiffs, damages £1, and stated that in their opinion the trespass was unintentional. Under the circumstances his Honour refused to grant an injunction to restrain the defendant from committing similar trespasses.
January 23rd 1898
Honingham church, restored by the Hon. Ailwyn Fellowes, M.P., as a memorial of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, was opened.
January 27th 1898
Died at Catton, Mr. Donald Steward, eldest son of Mr. Timothy Steward, and a member of the firm of Messrs. Steward, Patteson, Finch, and Co. He was appointed to the office of Sheriff of Norwich, in 1878, and was formerly a captain, in the Norwich Battalion of Rifle Volunteers.
January 29th 1898
A great fire took place at Press’s mills, Great Yarmouth, and resulted in the destruction of property to the amount of £20,000.
February 1st 1898
Died at the Mount, Thorpe Hamlet, Mrs. Hannah Elizabeth Jarrold, widow of Mr. Thomas Jarrold. She was the author of the popular “Household Tracts,” and was for many years an active worker amongst the poor.
February 5th 1898
At the Guildhall Police-court, Norwich, Mr. Edmund Reeve, on behalf of the Norwich Electric Tramways Company, applied to the justices, under the Lands Clauses Consolidation Act, for a magistrates’ certificate that the capital of the company had been subscribed. The capital was stated to be £240,000, and 50 per cent. thereof had been paid up. The application was granted. The work of laying the tramways was commenced on the Earlham and Thorpe routes on June 22nd. (_See_ April 19th, 1900.)
February 8th 1898
Mr. Edward Wild was elected leader of the Conservative party in Norwich in place of Mr. H. S. Patteson, resigned.
February 11th 1898
A great sale of shire horses, the property of the Prince of Wales, was conducted at Wolferton by Messrs. Sexton, Grimwade, and Beck. Fifty-four lots averaged £224 7s. 9d., and the sale realised £12,117. The three-year-old filly, Sea Breeze, was bought by Sir Blundell Maple for 1,150 guineas.
February 22nd 1898
A shocking boat disaster occurred at Wells-next-the-Sea. Five members of the coastguard were drowned through the capsizing of their boat, and five men of the crew of the gig of H.M.S. torpedo boat Alarm, Sub-Lieutenant William Lowther, lost their lives through a like mishap. The second disaster, which was discovered when search was being made for the missing coastguard, was the indirect outcome of the first; for when the coastguard boat did not arrive in response to the Alarm’s signals to take off stores intended for use at the Wells coastguard station, it was decided on board the Alarm to launch the gig and execute the commission.
February 22nd 1898
Mr. Arthur F. Gentry, borough accountant of Colchester, was appointed City Accountant of Norwich, at the salary of £400 per annum.
February 22nd 1898
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, it was decided that the Norwich City Waterworks Bill, 1898, be referred to the Law and Parliamentary Committee with the object of obtaining powers in the Bill for the Corporation to purchase the Waterworks. The Bill, which was promoted by the City of Norwich Waterworks Company for raising additional capital and for obtaining powers to make additional works, came before a Select Committee of the House of Commons on March 15th. The committee stipulated that the proposed new capital should be reduced from £100,000 to £60,000, and the borrowing powers to £15,000, which with the unused capital and stock would give the company £90,000. On October 18th the Law and Parliamentary Committee reported that having regard to the importance and magnitude of the acquisition of the undertaking by the Corporation, and the limited time within which steps must be taken to promote a Bill in the next session of Parliament, they recommended that further action be delayed until next year. The recommendation was adopted.
February 24th 1898
A party of members of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society visited Tasburgh for the purpose of viewing a site known as the Chapel Piece, where a quantity of ancient human remains had been unearthed. “There is little doubt that the site was used as a burial-ground by the inhabitants of the Roman station over the river upon the adjacent hill, in the enclosure of which the present church of Tasburgh stands.”
February 25th 1898
Dr. Nansen, the Arctic explorer, delivered at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, his lecture entitled “Across the Polar Region.”
March 5th 1898
Died at his residence, South Kensington, Mr. Edmund Tattersall, head of the well-known firm of horse auctioneers. Mr. Tattersall was born at Sculthorpe, neap Fakenham, in 1816, and at an early age went to London to assist his uncle, whom he succeeded as sole partner in 1858.
March 12th 1898
The freehold of the old Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, it was announced, had been purchased for £9,500, by a syndicate who proposed to erect upon the site a modern theatre to be called “The Norwich Opera House and Theatre of Varieties,” at an estimated cost of between £25,000 and £30,000. On the 19th particulars were published of another new theatre to be erected upon a site south of Prince of Wales Road. Plans of both the proposed theatres were prepared and were approved by the Corporation. In due course the foundations of the first-named theatre were laid, after which the work came to an abrupt termination.
March 15th 1898
At a special meeting of the governors of the Jenny Lind Infirmary, at Norwich, plans for the new building were adopted, and an offer made by Mr. J. J. Colman to purchase such portion of the old infirmary premises as would not be required for the out-patient department, for presentation to the city as a playground for children, was accepted. (_See_ December 13th.)
March 18th 1898
Died at Upper Norwood, aged 78, Mr. Frederic Grimmer, formerly of Haddiscoe, who was appointed Sheriff of Norwich in 1871.
March 18th 1898
Died at St. Moritz, the Engadine, the Rev. Thomas Parry Garnier, rector of Banham, and honorary canon of Norwich. Born February 22nd, 1841, he was the second son of the Very Rev. Thomas Garnier, Dean of Lincoln, and one of the most distinguished clergymen in the diocese of Norwich. He was the author of “The Parish Church,” “The Title Deeds of the Church of England,” “Church and Dissent,” “A Story in Outline of the Church of England,” “The First Book of Worship,” “The First and Second Book of Church Principles,” “The First Book on the Church,” &c. Both at Winchester College and Oxford University he greatly distinguished himself in scholastic work and in sport. In 1858 and 1859 he played with the Winchester team against Eton, and for four years, from 1860 to 1863, did admirable service for his University in the matches with Cambridge. He also played in 1861 with the Gentlemen of England in their match with the Players. Canon Garnier married in 1873 the Hon. Louisa Warren Vernon, daughter of the fifth Lord Vernon.
March 25th 1898
St. Paul’s church, Great Yarmouth, was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich.
March 29th 1898
Died at the Great Hospital, Norwich, Susan Rope, aged 101 years five months. She was a native of Earl Soham, and had been upon the foundation of the Hospital since October 31st, 1865.
April 7th 1898
Died at Cringleford, Mr. Henry Staniforth Patteson. He was a son of Mr. John S. Patteson, and was born in November, 1816. For more than thirty years he was an alderman of Norwich, was appointed Sheriff in 1858, and in 1862 was elected Mayor. He was actively identified with the Norwich Rifle Volunteers for more than a quarter of a century, and retired with the rank of major, and he succeeded Col. Bignold as leader of the Conservative party in the city.
April 7th 1898
Mr. Samuel Hoare, M.P., and Mrs. Hoare, in a letter to the Dean of Norwich on this date, the thirty-second anniversary of their wedding day, offered to defray the whole cost of removing from the walls, columns, and other portions of the nave of the Cathedral the thick coating of whitewash which for centuries had defaced and obscured the masonry. Shortly afterwards was initiated the fund for the provision of a new organ for the Cathedral. (_See_ May 25th, 1899.)
April 13th 1898
Sir Charles R. Gilman was presented by the district managers and inspectors of the Norwich and London Accident Insurance Association with a piece of silver plate weighing 150 ozs., “as a mark of their esteem and to commemorate the honour conferred upon him by the Queen during the second term of his mayoralty of the city.”
April 14th 1898
The Norwich Diocesan Conference opened at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, and was concluded on the 15th.
April 18th 1898
A Missionary Loan Exhibition was opened at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, by the Countess of Leicester, in celebration of the jubilee of the Church Missionary Society. It was closed on the 23rd.
April 23rd 1898
Notice was published of an intended application to the Light Railway Commissioners for powers to construct a light railway from Trowse, _viâ_ Arminghall, Brooke, and Loddon, to Beccles. On July 12th Lord Jersey, chairman of the Light Railway Commission, and Col. Boughey, R.E., C.S.I., sat at the Shirehall, Norwich, for the purpose of receiving information on the subject. It was stated that the length of the proposed line would be 17½ miles; the capital to be authorised by the Bill was £100,000, with borrowing powers for £33,000, and Sir Douglas Fox, consulting engineer, stated that the contractor would be able to construct the line for £93,000.
April 27th 1898
Mr. John Cross tendered his resignation of the office of Clerk to the Norwich Board of Guardians, and on May 25th Mr. E. R. Woodward was elected to fill the vacancy.
May 7th 1898
Died at Kirkley, Lowestoft, Mr. Robert Hitchman, formerly Chief Constable of Norwich, aged 72. He was appointed Chief Constable on March 24th, 1859, and retired on April 30th, 1897.
May 12th 1898
Polling took place in the Southern Division of the county in consequence of the resignation of Mr. Francis Taylor (Liberal Unionist). The candidates were Mr. J. Sancroft Holmes, of Gawdy Hall, Harleston (Conservative), and Mr. A. W. Soames, architect, of London (Liberal). The poll was declared at the Shirehall, Norwich, on the 13th: Soames, 4,626; Holmes, 3,296.
May 19th 1898
Intelligence was received in Norwich of the death of Mr. Gladstone. Both political parties paid becoming respect to the memory of the deceased statesman. Resolutions of sympathy were passed by the members of the Norwich and Norfolk Conservative Club and of the Gladstone Club, and on the day of interment, the 28th, a memorial service, attended by the Mayor and Corporation, was held at the Cathedral.
May 24th 1898
The Norwich Town Council considered a report of the Executive Committee containing recommendations for the alteration of the names of various streets and roads in the city. The report, with certain modifications and amendments, was adopted at a subsequent meeting.
May 26th 1898
A new Voluntary school for the accommodation of 400 boys, erected on Hall Road, Lakenham, by the supporters of Church education in Norwich at the cost of £2,600, was opened by the Lord Bishop.
May 27th 1898
Died at Mulbarton, Mr. George Frederick Cooke, formerly District Registrar of the High Court of Justice, and Registrar of the County Court, Norwich, in his 80th year. He was the youngest son of the Rev. William Cooke, vicar of Bromyard, Herefordshire, and brother of Mr. Cooke, a former judge of the Norfolk County Court.
May 28th 1898
The members of the Automobile Club of Great Britain arrived at Norwich in the course of a Whitsuntide tour through East Anglia.
June 9th 1898
A verdict of accidental death was returned by a coroner’s jury at Norwich in the case of Henry Skepworth, a sergeant in the 7th Dragoon Guards, who died from injuries received when returning from Wymondham, where a party of non-commissioned officers and men of the regiment had given a military display at the athletic sports. It was subsequently announced that “certain irregularities having lately occurred at sports and other displays in which soldiers have taken part, and notably in the Colchester district, where a sergeant met with his death, the Commander-in-Chief has refused applications for their services on such occasions.”
June 16th 1898
Mr. Ben Greet’s company gave pastoral representations of “As You Like It” and “The Comedy of Errors” at Bracondale Woods in aid of the endowment fund of the Jenny Lind Infirmary at Norwich.
June 20th 1898
The railway from North Walsham to Mundesley was opened for goods traffic. The first passenger trains were run on July 1st.
June 21st 1898
The Norwich Corporation Baths at the old Museum premises, St. Andrew’s Broad Street, were opened by the Mayor (Mr. C. C. R. Spelman).
June 21st 1898
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Hawkins, Samuel Frederick Steele (27), railway carman, was indicted for the wilful murder of Thurza Ann Bensley, at Yarmouth, on February 23rd. The jury found him guilty, but considered him insane when he committed the act, and expressed the hope that he would be kept in strict custody for the rest of his life. His lordship said he would add that as a rider to the verdict.
June 21st 1898
It was reported at a meeting of the Norwich Town Council that Messrs. Hughes and Lancaster had completed their contract, amounting to £21,522 for supplying Shone’s ejectors, &c., in connection with the sewerage works.
June 22nd 1898
George Watt (44), labourer, was indicted at the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Hawkins, for the wilful murder of his wife, Sophia Watt, at Sprowston, on April 14th, and was found guilty, and sentenced to death. The execution (by Billington) took place at Norwich Prison on July 12th.
June 25th 1898
The championship meeting of the National Cyclists’ Union was held on the Earlham Road Recreation Ground, Norwich. The five miles’ professional championship was won by H. E. Meyers, Dutch Cyclists’ Club, in 15 minutes 36 1-5th seconds; the five miles’ amateur championship by A. S. Ingram, Polytechnic Club, in 14 minutes 11 2-5ths seconds; and the 25 miles’ amateur championship by H. W. Payne, West Roads Cyclists’ Club, in 1 hour 4 minutes 52 4-5ths seconds.
June 29th 1898
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at King’s Lynn. Sir William ffolkes, Bart., was deputed by the president, the Duke of York, to perform his duties at the show in consequence of his Royal Highness’ absence on naval service. The Duchess of York arrived from London by special train, and was received at Lynn railway station by Sir William ffolkes, and at the entrance to the show ground by the High Sheriff (Mr. Simms Reeve) and the show officials. Her Royal Highness before returning to London was entertained to tea by Lady ffolkes in a marquee erected on the grounds. The show closed on the 30th.
July 9th 1898
Died at Surrey Street, Norwich, Mr. Henry George Barwell. Born on February 4th, 1829, he was the fourth son of Mr. John Barwell, and was educated at Hofwyl, near Berne, and at Norwich Grammar School. He was engaged as private secretary to Mr. Birkett, brother-in-law of Sir Morton Peto, and was afterwards employed in the construction of a portion of the Great Northern Railway between Lincoln and Newark, and on its completion was sent out to Flensburg as one of the staff in the making of the Royal Danish Railway. In 1856 he joined the firm of Barwell and Sons. Taking up the practical study of art in 1870, he became a frequent exhibitor at the Royal Institution of Painters in Water Colours; he was one of the founders of the Norwich Art Circle, and for twenty-five years was hon. secretary of the Norwich School of Art.
July 15th 1898
The Norfolk Infantry Volunteer Brigade went into camp at Colchester under the command of Col. G. S. Burton, commanding the 9th Regimental District. The four battalions numbered about 2,000 men.
July 15th 1898
The 7th Dragoon Guards left Norwich by train for Bulford Camp, Salisbury Plain, to take part in the cavalry manœuvres.
July 25th 1898
In the Court of Appeal, before Lords Justices A. L. Smith, Rigby, and Vaughan Williams, judgment was given in the long pending appeal the Corporation of Thetford _v._ the County Council of Norfolk. This was an appeal from a judgment of Mr. Justice Wills. The question was whether in the case of a borough of not less than 10,000 inhabitants and having separate courts of Quarter Sessions and Petty Sessions, the salaries of the recorder and the clerk of the peace, and of the clerk to the borough justices in Petty Sessions in such borough, and certain other expenses connected with the Quarter Sessions and Petty Sessions were transferred from the borough fund to the county fund. Thetford was a borough containing a population of less than 10,000, and was situated for administrative purposes within the county of Norfolk. It had a separate court of Quarter Sessions presided over by a recorder, who was paid a salary of £40 per annum, and there was a clerk of the peace who was paid by fees. Before and since the Local Government Act of 1888 the salary of the recorder and the fees (with certain exceptions) of the clerk of the peace were paid out of the borough fund, and the clerk to the borough justices was paid a salary out of the same fund. The plaintiffs contended that by the Act of 1888 the liability for the expenses was transferred to the defendants, and they claimed a declaration to that effect, and they further claimed to be reimbursed the expenses paid by them. There was also a question raised by cross-appeal as to the payment of the salary of the clerk of the Petty Sessions. The court dismissed the appeal, and allowed the cross-appeal.
July 26th 1898
Dr. J. E. Talmage lectured at Victoria Hall, Norwich, on “Utah and its People.”
July 26th 1898
The Norwich Town Council adopted the report of a special committee appointed to enquire into the sanitary condition of the courts and yards of the city. The effect of the recommendations was to enforce upon the owners of property the fulfilment of the provisions of the Public Health Act and the Norwich Corporation Act of 1889.
August 1st 1898
On this date occurred the most serious and destructive fire that had taken place in Norwich during the century. At an early hour in the morning the premises of Mr. Daniel Hurn, rope maker, Dove Street, were discovered to be on fire. The flames spread southwards to Messrs. Chamberlin and Sons’ wholesale warehouse, northwards towards Pottergate Street, and westward to the Public Library. The premises in which the fire originated, the warehouse, and a portion of the property on the north were speedily destroyed, and ultimately the Library building was consumed with its 60,000 volumes and the valuable Norton library. On August 5th the Edinburgh public-house, at the corner of Dove Street and Pottergate Street fell with a crash, and two or three persons were severely injured.
August 2nd 1898
Died at Scone Palace, near Perth, William David Murray, fourth Earl of Mansfield, K.T., aged 93. The deceased nobleman was better known to Norwich politicians of a by-gone generation as Lord Stormont, who with Sir James Scarlett, afterwards Lord Abinger, was returned as Conservative member for the city at the first Parliamentary election after the passing of the Reform Act. It was not until 1895 that the Conservative party once more obtained the undivided Parliamentary representation of Norwich by the return of Mr. Samuel Hoare and Sir Harry Bullard.
August 12th 1898
Died at Swaffham, Mr. Herbert William Day, aged 76, who for upwards of twenty-five years held the office of County Treasurer, and retired shortly after the passing of the Local Government Act, 1889.
August 23rd 1898
At the Norwich Police-court, Samuel Matthews, of Raglan Street, Dereham Road, was charged on eight summonses with unlawfully using the name and title of doctor and of surgeon, thereby implying that he was a registered medical practitioner. The Bench decided that Mr. Matthews, in using the word “doctor,” did not wilfully and falsely pretend to be registered as such, and, therefore, dismissed the case; but they considered there had been an infringement of the law in the use of the word “surgeon,” for which the defendant was fined £1, and 12s. costs. At the Norwich County Court on the 24th Mr. Matthews was sued by the Master, Wardens, and Society of the Art and Mystery of Apothecaries of the City of London to recover the sum of £20 for unlawfully acting as an apothecary by attending, advising, and supplying medicines to certain persons. A special jury was empanelled to try the case, which was admitted. Judgment was entered for the plaintiff society for £20 and costs. Mr. Matthews was afterwards presented with a gift of plate weighing 300 ounces, subscribed for by the citizens as a mark of their esteem and sympathy.
August 26th 1898
The promises of Messrs. Pinchen and Co., brewers and mineral water manufacturers at South Creake, were destroyed by fire. The damage was estimated at £3,000.
August 28th 1898
The church of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, was re-opened upon the completion of the work of restoring the chancel to its original level. This portion of the great work of restoration was carried out at the expense of an anonymous donor.
August 30th 1898
At the Episcopal Consistorial Court, held at Norwich Cathedral, before Mr. Chancellor Blofeld, was heard an application for a faculty in which citation had been granted against the Rev. Robert Middleton, rector of St. Michael-at-Coslany, Norwich, for illegally, without any faculty and in spite of remonstrance of William Joseph Simmons, one of the churchwardens, removing a re-table from its position above the communion table, and moving from the church certain ornaments which stood there, namely, a cross of brass, two candlesticks, and two flower vases, and for refusing to replace them. Mr. Middleton was cited to appear and show cause why a faculty should not be granted to the churchwardens directing them to replace the articles. The faculty was granted as prayed, with costs against Mr. Middleton.
September 1st 1898
A ball was given at Drayton House in celebration of the silver wedding of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Walter, who were the recipients of many presents and congratulations. On the 3rd the workmen employed at the Taverham and Bawburgh mills and the labourers on the estate were entertained to dinner.
September 6th 1898
Barnum and Bailey’s great show visited Norwich, and was located upon a piece of land on Unthank Road. The performances were repeated on the 7th. Upwards of 42,000 persons visited the show. (_See_ July 29th, 1899.)
September 13th 1898
Died at Earlham Road, Norwich, Mr. John William Sparrow, solicitor, for many years Registrar of the Guildhall Court of Record.
September 13th 1898
The coming of age of Mr. Robert Hamilton Kemp, eldest son of Sir Kenneth Kemp, Bart., was celebrated at Gissing Old Hall.
September 18th 1898
Died at the Clyffe, Corton, Mr. Jeremiah James Colman, of Carrow House, Norwich, aged 68. Mr. Colman came of an old family of Norfolk yeomen. One of his ancestors, Jeremiah Colman, who was born in 1777, established a flour mill at Bawburgh, and afterwards carried on business at Norwich, whence he removed to Stoke Holy Cross, where was formed the nucleus of the great commercial undertaking now existing at Carrow. The subject of this notice was the son of James Colman, and was born in 1830. In 1856 he married Caroline, daughter of Mr. W. H. Cozens-Hardy, of Letheringsett. Mr. Colman was interested in agricultural pursuits and the breeding of stock, and his famous herd of red-polls, and equally well-known flock of Southdowns were for years represented at all the great shows. Art and literature obtained his attention, and he collected an unrivalled library of local works at Carrow Abbey. Mr. Colman embarked largely in commercial enterprises connected with the Press. With Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett he was instrumental in founding the “Norfolk News” and other newspapers published by that company, and was largely interested in the “Star,” the “Morning Leader” and the “East Anglian Daily Times.” In 1862 Mr. Colman was appointed Sheriff of Norwich, and in 1867 was elected Mayor. He was first nominated for Parliamentary honours upon the unseating on petition of Mr. Tillett in 1871. His Conservative opponent was Sir Charles Legard, whom he defeated by 1,200 votes. This was the last election contested by open voting, in Norwich. At the General Election of 1874 Mr. Tillett, freed of his disabilities, was nominated as colleague of Mr. Colman; the Conservative candidates were Mr. Huddleston, Q.C., and Sir Henry Stracey, Bart. Mr. Colman and Mr. Huddleston were returned. The next election took place in 1880, when the Liberal party once more made a strenuous effort to secure the return of Mr. Tillett by the aid of Mr. Colman’s popularity. The Conservative nominees were Mr. Henry Harben and the Hon. W. F. B. Mainwaring. The Liberals were returned by an overwhelming majority. At the election of 1885 occurred the first indication of the disasters which were to befall Liberalism in Norwich. Mr. Harry Bullard was nominated to oppose Mr. Colman, with whom as second Liberal candidate was Mr. R. S. Wright. For the first time in his political career Mr. Colman had to be content with second place, for Mr. Bullard was returned at the head of the poll with 7,297 votes, against 6,666 polled by Mr. Colman, and 6,251 by Mr. Wright. Mr. Bullard was unseated on petition, and it was stated at the time that Mr. Colman was opposed to the course taken by his party. Mr. Samuel Hoare was then elected unopposed in the place of Mr. Bullard. At the General Election in 1886 Mr. Colman regained his former position at the head of the poll with 6,295 votes as against 6,156 polled by Mr. Hoare, who had Mr. C. S. Read as his colleague. This election was noteworthy as the last occasion upon which Mr. Tillett was nominated. In 1892 Mr. Colman made his last appearance as a Parliamentary candidate, and with him was nominated Mr. James Bedford. Mr. Hoare, Conservative candidate, was returned by a majority of 311 above Mr. Colman; and the representation of the city remained thus until the General Election of 1895, when Mr. Colman retired, and for the first time in sixty years the Conservative party returned two members, Mr. Hoare and Sir Harry Bullard. Mr. Colman, who was one of the greatest benefactors in Norwich, was held in deserved esteem alike by political friends and opponents, and many expressions of public regret were recorded. He was predeceased (on the 15th) by his mother, Mrs. Mary Colman, who died at Town Close Lodge, in her 93rd year. It was announced at a meeting of the Norwich Town Council on October 18th that Mr. Colman had bequeathed to the Castle Museum, free of duty, his collection of oil paintings and water colours by Norfolk and Norwich artists. The collection was valued at £5,000.
October 16th 1898
Died at Fairstead House, Newmarket, aged 82, Mr. John F. Clark, the famous racing judge. Mr. Clark was a native of Norwich, and on leaving school joined his father as a builder. He afterwards became an architect, and during his professional career designed many ecclesiastical buildings, and restored others. He also planned most of the modern grand stands upon the principal race courses in England. Mr. Clark was appointed judge by the Jockey Club in 1852, and was the third member of his family who had held the office, from which he retired at the close of 1888.
October 18th 1898
The Norwich Town Council decided to widen Fye Bridge from 22 feet to 36 feet at the estimated cost of £1,000, two-fifths of which were payable by the Norwich Electric Tramways Company.
October 24th 1898
The National Union of Women Workers of Great Britain and Ireland opened its annual conference at Prince’s Street Rooms, Norwich; and on the 27th the Mayor and Mayoress held a reception at St. Andrew’s Hall.
October 30th 1898
Died at Lowestoft, Mr. Frederick Elwin Watson, aged 88. He twice served the office of Mayor of Norwich, in 1866–67 and in 1870–71. He was for many years a warm supporter of the Norwich Church of England Young Men’s Society.
November 8th 1898
Died at Wymondham Vicarage, in his 96th year, the Rev. Robert Eden, M.A., Fellow of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and honorary canon of Norwich Cathedral. He was the author of several works, including “The Churchman’s Theological Dictionary,” “Some Thoughts on the Inspiration of the Holy Scriptures,” “A History of Preaching,” “The Title Page of the Revised Version of the Holy Bible,” &c. In his young days Canon Eden was acquainted with Whately, the famous divine, and was for a time assistant librarian at the Bodleian Library.
November 9th 1898
Mr. George Henry Morse was elected Mayor and Mr. Henry Skelton appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 18th 1898
The Norwich and Norfolk Conservative Club was opened in its new premises, the Royal Arcade, Norwich. Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart., presided on the occasion.
November 26th 1898
The remarkable recovery of a lost register belonging to the parish of Gressenhall was reported. “The books, which dated from 1538 to 1710, were discovered lying on a shelf in an upper room with a number of other old documents, at Docking Hall. A certain Hon. Hugh Charles Hare, who was rector of Docking from 1708 to 1711, was also rector of Gressenhall, and probably to him may be traced the removal of the books to Docking, where they had remained for nearly two hundred years.”
November 28th 1898
The 7th (Queen’s Own) Hussars, arrived by train at Norwich, from Southampton, where they had disembarked the same day from the Simla.
December 13th 1898
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Mr. Edward Wild moved the adoption of a report of the City Committee affirming “that the inadequate and unsuitable existing accommodation for the transaction of the public work of the city is a hindrance to the proper dispatch of the business, detrimental to the health of the officials and members of the Corporation, and disproportionate to and unworthy of the position and dignity of this important city.” The subject was referred to a committee to report thereon to the Council. (_See_ September 5th, 1899.)
December 13th 1898
The foundation stone of the new Jenny Lind Infirmary, Unthank Road, Norwich, was laid by Geoffrey R. R. Colman, son of Mr. Russell J. Colman. In a cavity of the stone was a brass plate with the following inscription:—“The Jenny Lind Infirmary was founded 1853; rebuilt 1898, foundation-stone laid by G. R. R. Colman. Norwich population, 113,000; fastest train to London 2 hours 37 minutes; electric tramways commenced. Price of a large sheep 63s.; bricklayers’ wages 7½d. per hour.” (_See_ June 30th, 1899.)
December 14th 1898
Died, Mr. Robert Wortley, of Suffield. He was one of the best known agriculturists in Norfolk, an excellent judge of stock, and a noted hackney breeder.
December 24th 1898
Shernbourne church, restored from designs by Mr. Herbert J. Green, and Sir Arthur Blomfield (consulting architect), was re-opened. The Prince and Princess of Wales, accompanied by the Duke and Duchess of York, Princess Victoria of Wales, and Prince Alexander of Teck, attended the service. The Prince of Wales had taken great interest in the work, and had subscribed to the restoration fund, which was raised mainly through the efforts of the rector, the Rev. F. J. W. Girling.
December 24th 1898
A young man named Horace Alfred Cox entered a café in St. Benedict’s Street, Norwich, and fired three shots with a revolver at Ellen Parker, one of the assistants. The bullets missed Parker, and Cox then turned the weapon upon himself. He sustained injuries to the head, from which he died shortly after removal to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.