January 21st 1896
The Norwich Town Council approved a scheme formulated by the Charity Commissioners for the administration of Anguish’s endowment for boys. It involved the expenditure of about £1,000 per year for the education, under certain conditions, of poor boys in the city.
January 21st 1896
The announcement was made that Mr. Clare Sewell Read had decided to relinquish farming in Norfolk and to settle in or near London. Mr. Read gave a farewell address at East Dereham Market Tea on January 31st; and on September 19th the Norfolk Executive Committee adopted, on the motion of Mr. R. T. Gurdon, a resolution recording the valuable services rendered to the county by Mr. Read, as chairman of the committee, in all matters relating to the diseases of animals. At Honingham on September 21st Mr. and Mrs. Read were presented with farewell gifts by the inhabitants of that and adjoining parishes on the occasion of their departure after thirty years’ residence in the district. (_See_ September 25th, 1897.)
January 22nd 1896
Mr. F. H. Tulloch, an inspector of the Local Government Board, held an inquiry at the Guildhall, Norwich, as to an application by the Town Council for sanction to borrow £72,000 for sewerage purposes, and to appropriate the New Mills estate for the purposes of a power-station for the City works. On September 29th the Council accepted tenders for the construction of sewerage and surface water sewers in district No. 5 for £17,480, and for the construction of river works and power-station buildings on the New Mills estate for £5,039. (_See_ October 17th, 1899.)
January 28th 1896
A burglary was committed at the shop of Mr. Edward Morley, jeweller and silversmith, the Walk, Norwich, and property to the value of nearly £2,000 stolen. The thieves were never discovered.
February 3rd 1896
Died at Billingford Hall, East Dereham, Lady Parry, widow of Rear-Admiral Sir William Edward Parry, the distinguished Arctic navigator. Her ladyship, who was in her 88th year, was a daughter of the Rev. Robert Hankinson, of Walpole, and first married, in 1831, Mr. Samuel Hoare, of Hampstead. Her second marriage took place on June 29th, 1841.
February 5th 1896
The Ecclesiastical Lectures were resumed at Norwich Cathedral by Bishop Barry, who dealt with “The Life and Times of St. Ambrose.” The concluding lecture was given on March 4th by the Rev. H. C. G. Moule, D.D., Principal of Ridley Hall, Cambridge, on “The Life and Times of St. Augustine.”
February 7th 1896
A deputation representing the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture waited upon the First Lord of the Treasury (Mr. Balfour) and the Minister of Agriculture (Mr. Walter Long) for the purpose of urging various points for the alleviation of the distressed condition of agriculture.
February 10th 1896
Mr. Henry Bowyer Sparke, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. Bowyer Sparke, of Gunthorpe Hall, was presented with a massive silver punch bowl by the tenantry on the estate on the occasion of his coming of age.
February 15th 1896
A conference of delegates representing the Boards of Guardians in the county was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, to consider a proposal adopted at a meeting held the previous year in favour of the amalgamation of workhouses.
February 17th 1896
The infant Prince of the Duke and Duchess of York was christened at Sandringham church by the Bishop of Norwich in the names of Albert Frederick Arthur George.
February 28th 1896
Mr. H. S. Patteson was entertained at a banquet given at the Maid’s Head Hotel, Norwich, in recognition of his life-long services to Conservatism and in celebration of the attainment of his 80th year. Mr. Patteson was presented with a replica in silver gilt of three pieces of ancient plate in the possession of the Corporation.
March 3rd 1896
Dr. Thomson, medical superintendent of the Norfolk County Asylum, delivered a lecture before the Norfolk and Norwich Medico-Chirurgical Society on “The New Photography,” and gave a practical demonstration of the Röntgen rays.
March 10th 1896
Died at Cincinnati, while travelling in the United States as a member of Sir Henry Irving’s company, Mr. Henry Howe. Born in Norwich on March 31st, 1812, he was the son of a Quaker gentleman named Hutchinson, and was educated at the Ackworth School of the Society of Friends in Lancashire, where, for a time, he had John Bright as a fellow scholar. At the age of 19 he absconded from home and joined a strolling company. Mr. Howe made his first appearance in London at the Victoria Theatre in October, 1834, and afterwards became a member of the Covent Garden company under Macready. In 1881 he joined the Lyceum company and remained with them uninterruptedly until the time of his death.
April 8th 1896
Captain Wiggins, the Arctic explorer and navigator, who had recently returned from Siberia, lectured in Norwich upon the Nansen expedition.
April 9th 1896
The Norwich Diocesan Conference commenced at the Town Hall, Ipswich, under the presidency of the Bishop of the Diocese, and was continued on the 10th.
April 12th 1896
Died at Lady Lane, Norwich, Mr. Edward Samuel Bignold. Born on October 13th, 1821, he was son of Mr. Thomas Bignold, and nephew of Sir Samuel Bignold. Mr. Bignold held several public appointments, including the office of City Coroner, to which he succeeded on the death of Mr. William Wilde in 1866.
April 12th 1896
Thanksgiving services were held at the church of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, on the occasion of the re-opening of the tower after restoration at the cost of £1,200.
April 13th 1896
A military tournament by the 7th Dragoon Guards commenced at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, and concluded on the 18th.
April 18th 1896
Dr. Bunnett was presented at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, with an illuminated address and a cheque for £280, on the attainment of his “musical jubilee.”
April 23rd 1896
A deputation of Norfolk farmers and graziers waited upon Mr. Walter Long, President of the Board of Agriculture, and requested that a clause might be inserted in the Government Cattle Diseases Bill permitting the importation of live Canadian cattle. Mr. Long was unable to comply with the demands of the deputation.
May 1st 1896
At a special meeting of the Board of Governors of the Jenny Lind Infirmary, held at the Guildhall, Norwich, Mr. Colman offered to present to the charity, as a memorial to his late wife, the necessary site upon which to erect a new infirmary. The offer was gratefully accepted, and the Committee of Management were empowered to take steps for collecting funds and for preparing plans. (_See_ January 23rd, 1897.)
May 5th 1896
Mr. R. W. Ladell, solicitor, was elected by the Norwich Town Council to the office of City Coroner, rendered vacant by the death of Mr. E. S. Bignold.
May 7th 1896
Mr. and Mrs. Kendal and their London company appeared at Norwich Theatre in “A Scrap of Paper.” “A White Lie” was produced on the 8th, and “The Ironmaster” on the 9th.
May 12th 1896
Mr. J. L. Toole with his London company appeared at the Assembly Room, Agricultural Hall, Norwich, in the comic sporting play “Thoroughbred.”
May 15th 1896
Lord Tweedmouth, as president of the Norwich Gladstone Club, delivered his inaugural address to the members at the Assembly Room, Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
May 21st 1896
The annual training of the Loyal Suffolk Hussars (Yeomanry Cavalry), commanded by Lieut.-Col. A. G. Lucas, commenced at Yarmouth.
May 25th 1896
Louis Tussaud’s exhibition “All the World in Wax” was opened at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich. One of the attractions was the display for the first time in Norwich of the cinematograph or “living pictures.”
June 1st 1896
Dr. Jameson, of Transvaal raid fame, travelling as Dr. Johnson, accompanied by Dr. Rutherford Harris, visited Norwich, and stayed at the Maid’s Head Hotel.
June 2nd 1896
The coming of age of Mr. John Calthorpe Blofeld, eldest son of Mr. Blofeld, of Hoveton House, was celebrated by the tenantry on the Hoveton estate.
June 11th 1896
Died at Wreningham Rectory, the Rev. Arthur Wilson Upcher, who for 48 years was rector of Ashwellthorpe and Wreningham. Born at Sheringham in 1815, he was an excellent oar, and rowed number seven in the Cambridge boat when the first University boat race was contested from Westminster to Putney in 1836. Mr. Upcher was also a remarkably good shot.
June 13th 1896
The announcement was made that Messrs. Gurneys and Co. had issued a circular stating the completion of arrangements for an important amalgamation of the businesses of certain private banks as a company under the name of Barclay and Co., Limited. The registered capital was £6,000,000. On October 31st the members of the old firm of Messrs. Gurneys and Co. were presented with a massive silver shield mounted on solid oak, and an illuminated address in which the subscribers, the citizens of Norwich, expressed their high appreciation of the long and honourable career of the firm and the influence for good exercised individually by the members. The presentation was made by the Mayor (Mr. John Moore).
June 19th 1896
In the Queen’s Bench Division, before the Lord Chief Justice and a special jury, the action Austin _v._ the Central News, Limited, and several provincial newspapers, the “Norfolk News” included, came on for trial. Mr. Austin, M.P. for West Limerick, complained that the defendants had published a libel concerning him, in a paragraph stating that in a speech he had sympathised with dynamiters. The jury found a verdict for the plaintiff, damages £1,000, of which the “Norfolk News” Company were adjudged to pay £100.
June 30th 1896
A recumbent effigy placed in the north transept of Norwich Cathedral to the memory of the late Bishop Pelham was unveiled by the Rev. Canon Patteson. It was the work of Mr. James Forsyth, sculptor, of Finchley Road, Hampstead.
July 1st 1896
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association opened at East Dereham. The Hon. Ailwyn E. Fellowes, M.P., presided at the luncheon. The exhibition closed on the 2nd.
July 1st 1896
The octo-centenary thanksgiving services commenced at Norwich Cathedral. The opening service was attended by the high official dignitaries of county and city, who entered the Cathedral in procession, marshalled by officers of the 7th Dragoon Guards. The Archbishop of Armagh preached to a vast congregation, and at the conclusion of the service the Dean and Mrs. Lefroy entertained a large and distinguished company to luncheon in a marquee erected in the Deanery grounds. The services were continued throughout the week.
July 1st 1896
A party of American Congregationalists on a tour through Europe arrived at Norwich from Ely, attended the commemoration service at Norwich Cathedral, and were included among the guests at the Dean’s luncheon. In the evening they were present at a gathering held in their honour at the Old Meeting House, “the oldest home of Congregationalism in the city.” The Mayor (Mr. John Moore) presided, and the visitors were accorded an enthusiastic reception.
July 9th 1896
Three sisters, Clara, Eleanor, and Ida Elizabeth Louisa Vipan, were drowned whilst wandering upon the treacherous sands at Holkham.
July 10th 1896
The old colours of the 2nd Battalion Norfolk Regiment, brought from Aldershot by Colonel Shepherd and other officers, were laid up in the choir of Norwich Cathedral. The colours were borne under escort from the west door to the choir, the band of the 4th Battalion playing “The March of the Israelites.” With the usual ceremony the colours were then handed over to the care and custody of the Dean and Chapter.
July 21st 1896
Mr. Ben Greet’s Company of Woodland Players gave at Bracondale Woods, Norwich, open air representations of “Twelfth Night” and of scenes from “Much Ado about Nothing,” in aid of the building fund of the Jenny Lind Infirmary.
July 22nd 1896
The marriage took place at Buckingham Palace of Princess Maud and Prince Charles of Denmark. Their Royal Highnesses were enthusiastically received at Lynn and Sandringham on their way to Appleton Hall. At Norwich the marriage was celebrated by the ringing of bells and by the display of flags on the public buildings. The county of Norfolk presented to their Royal Highnesses as a wedding gift an oak chest containing a service of plate, and the citizens of Norwich gave a handsomely appointed victoria. Gifts were also sent by the boroughs of Yarmouth and Lynn, and by the tenantry on the Sandringham estate.
August 2nd 1896
The Norfolk Volunteer Infantry Brigade went into camp at Colchester under the command of Brigadier-General W. E. G. L. Bulwer.
August 5th 1896
The Lord Chief Justice, with whom was Mr. Justice Lawrence, sitting as a divisional court, delivered judgment in an application “in _re_ a solicitor, _ex parte_ the Incorporated Law Society.” In this case the Statutory Committee of the society on July 10th, 1896, made a long and elaborate report, in which they stated that a certain number of allegations of professional misconduct had been proved to their satisfaction. The Lord Chief Justice dealt at considerable length with various points in the case, and concluded by saying: “The court would be failing in its duty if it did not in the most emphatic way mark its sense of the scandalous story disclosed in this report.” The order of the court was “that Isaac Bugg Coaks, of Bank Plain, Norwich, be struck off the rolls, and that he do pay the costs of the inquiry before the Statutory Committee and the costs of this application.”
August 26th 1896
Mr. Fred Morgan, lessee of Norwich Theatre, was presented with a massive silver Monteith punch bowl and a purse of gold by members of the theatrical profession and personal friends.
September 2nd 1896
Died at Adelaide Place, Windsor, in her 91st year, Miss Jane Rigby, “second daughter and last surviving child of Dr. Edward Rigby, of Norwich.”
September 12th 1896
A demonstration took place at Norwich in aid of the funds of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
September 27th 1896
Died at St. Andrew’s Parsonage, Norwich, the Rev. Arthur Charles Copeman, M.B., vicar of St. Andrew’s, Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral, and rural dean of Norwich, aged 72. He was the youngest son of Mr. Edward Breese Copeman, and was born at Coltishall. At the age of 15 he was placed under the care of his eldest brother, Dr. Edward Copeman. On entering King’s College, London, as a medical student, he obtained his M.B. degree at the London University, won the gold medal in anatomy and physiology, and became an associate of King’s College. At the end of his student days he was offered, on the nomination of the Chancellor of the University, and accepted it, a commission on the Army Medical Staff. He soon resigned it, however, and commenced private practice at Epsom, when it became his ambition to enter the Church, and forthwith he applied himself to reading for Holy Orders. Ordained by the Bishop of Worcester, he was in 1851 admitted deacon and priest, and for the next five years held curacies at Warwick, Bury St. Edmund’s, and Wisbech. In the last-named town he worked single-handed among the cholera-stricken inhabitants, and received from them in recognition of his services an address, a collection of theological works, and a cheque for £100. Mr. Copeman’s work in Norwich began in January, 1857, when he was elected vicar of St. Andrew’s. He was appointed rural dean in 1870, and honorary canon in 1877. In 1881, on the death of Mr. Field, he became chairman of the Norwich Board of Guardians. He had been a member of the School Board, and was identified with the managing bodies of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and other charitable institutions.
September 29th 1896
The Norwich Town Council, on a representation of the Inspector-General of Cavalry that the city would cease to be the headquarters of a cavalry regiment unless the drill-ground on Mousehold Heath were enlarged, authorised the hiring of 62 acres of land adjoining the drill-ground for a term not exceeding five years, at a rent to be agreed upon.
October 6th 1896
The Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, with a performance of “Jeptha.” On the morning of the 7th was produced the dramatic oratorio “The Rose of Sharon,” and in the evening Suite No. 1 “Peer Gynt” (Grieg), “Blest Pair of Sirens” (C. Hubert H. Parry), conducted by the composer; a new violin concerto in D Minor (Frederic Cliffe), composed expressly for the Festival, and conducted by the composer, and the dramatic cantata “Fridolin” (A. Randegger), conducted by the composer. “Elijah” was performed on the morning of the 8th; and in the evening was produced the poetic cantata, “Hero and Leander” (Liugi Mancinelli), composed expressly for the Festival, and conducted by the composer. On the morning of the 9th was performed the sacred trilogy, “Redemption” (Gounod); and in the evening, overture, “Leonora,” No. 9 (Beethoven); Irish ballad for chorus and orchestra, “Phaudrig Crohoore” (C. V. Stanford), first time of performance, and conducted by the composer; suite in D Minor (Edward German), conducted by the composer; and Act 3, “Lohengrin” (Wagner). The principal _artistes_ were Madame Albani, Miss Gertrude Izard, Madame Ella Russell, Miss Katherine Fisk, Miss Sarah Berry, Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Reginald Brophy, Mr. Ben Davies, Mr. Watkin Mills, Mr. J. H. Brockbank, Mr. Andrew Black, and M. Tivadar Nachez (violin). Mr. Alberto Randegger was conductor. The receipts amounted to £5,191 17s. 2d., and the payments to £4,738 4s. 7d. Of the balance £200 was allocated to the local charities.
October 7th 1896
The Prince of Wales visited Norwich on the occasion of the Musical Festival. Princess Louise, who with the Marquis of Lorne, was staying at Sheringham as the guest of Lord and Lady Battersea, arrived at Thorpe Station at 11.45, and awaited the arrival of the Royal train from Wolferton. The Prince of Wales, who was accompanied by the Duke and Duchess of York, arrived at twelve o’clock, and was received by Lord Suffield, who presented to their Royal Highnesses the Mayor and Mayoress and the Sheriff. Joined by Princess Louise the Royal party drove to St. Andrew’s Hall, where they were received by Mr. F. Oddin Taylor, honorary secretary to the Festival Committee, Mr. H. C. Bolingbroke, chairman of the Orchestral Committee, and Mr. C. R. Gilman, Deputy-Mayor and chairman of the Committee of Management. During an interval their Royal Highnesses were entertained to luncheon by the Mayor in the old Crypt of the Friars of the Sack; and at the conclusion of the performance they proceeded to the County Club. The Duke and Duchess of York and Princess Louise afterwards drove to the Cathedral, where they were received by the Dean, and had afternoon tea at the Deanery; and the Prince of Wales attended a Masonic gathering at the Agricultural Hall, where his Royal Highness unveiled a bust of Lord Suffield, presented to his lordship to mark the conclusion of his twenty years of office as Provincial Grand Master. His Royal Highness subsequently visited the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home, and proceeded to the Deanery. The Royal visitors afterwards dined at the County Club, and attended the evening performance at St. Andrew’s Hall. They left early, the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of York for Sandringham, and Princess Louise for Overstrand.
October 9th 1896
Princess Louise, accompanied by the Marquis of Lorne, M.P., arrived at Norwich from Cromer, and proceeding to the High School for Girls distributed the prizes.
October 11th 1896
A memorial service was held at Norwich Cathedral on the death of the Archbishop of Canterbury. “The late Archbishop’s sister, Miss Benson, was for some years head-mistress of the Norwich High School for Girls when that institution had its home in St. Giles’ Street at the house now occupied by Sir Peter Eade.”
October 16th 1896
Died at Norwich, Mr. William Alexander Delaselle Eden, better known as William Herbert, the actor. Before adopting the stage as a profession he held a commission in the 33rd (Duke of Wellington’s) Regiment. His remains were interred at West Runton.
October 17th 1896
A recommendation by the Norfolk Highways Committee that the management of main roads in the county should in future be imposed upon the District Councils constituted therein, was rejected by the Norfolk County Council by 44 votes against 20.
October 21st 1896
The first celebration of the anniversary of Trafalgar was observed in Norwich, on the initiation of the Navy League, by the decoration of the Nelson statue in the Cathedral Close.
November 9th 1896
Mr. Charles Rackham Gilman was elected Mayor and Mr. Henley Curl appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 18th 1896
It was reported at a meeting of the Norwich Town Council that plans had been deposited at the Town Clerk’s office for a proposed tramway scheme. At a meeting of the Council on December 15th it was stated that another scheme had been introduced, and was known as the Norwich and District Light Railways. Its object was to bring into closer connection with the city the outlying hamlets of Costessey, Thorpe St. Andrew, Trowse Newton, and Eaton, and plans had been deposited by the New General Traction Company, Limited. Both schemes were referred to committee. (_See_ January 19th, 1897.)
November 21st 1896
The Duke of York, as president of the Norfolk and Norwich Christmas Show Association, arrived at Norwich and visited the exhibition of the association at the Agricultural Hall. His Royal Highness, on leaving the show, had luncheon with Mr. Colman, at Carrow Abbey, and in the afternoon left Trowse station for Sandringham.
November 25th 1896
At a meeting of the Norwich Board of Guardians a deputation was appointed to visit towns where the rate-books were made out in street older, and to obtain information upon the subject of an improved method of collecting the rates. This important matter, originally introduced by Mr. William Coke Gee, resulted in the adoption of a system by which the rate-books were made out in street order, the daily collection of rates introduced, the rate collectors’ districts redistributed, and the half-yearly collection ended in March and September.
November 27th 1896
Died at Hill House, Mill Hill Road, Norwich, Mr. Thomas Ballan Stead, permanent secretary of the Ancient Order of Foresters. Mr. Stead came from Dundee on the removal of the headquarters of the society to Norwich. Prior to his election as secretary to the Foresters, Mr. Stead was engaged in journalism, and devoted himself mainly to studying questions affecting the social well-being of the artizan classes.
December 2nd 1896
Mr. Bancroft, the actor, gave a reading of Charles Dickens’ “Christmas Carol” at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in aid of the Blind School and the Norwich Lying-in Charity.
December 9th 1896
A regimental ball given at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, by Colonel Rough and officers of the 7th Dragoon Guards.
December 12th 1896
Mr. Caleb Barker was elected secretary to the Norfolk Agricultural Association in place of Mr. James Bacon, resigned.
December 14th 1896
A poll was opened for the election of a vicar for the parish of St. Andrew, Norwich. The candidates were the Rev. A. G. Copeman, son of the late vicar, the Rev. S. A. D. Suffling, and the Rev. R. Middleton. Mr. Copeman received 170 votes, Mr. Suffling 129, and Mr. Middleton 46.
December 28th 1896
Died at Park Lane, Norwich, Mr. Manning Prentice Squirrell, aged 61. He was a son of Mr. Robert Squirrell, of Stowmarket, and head of the firm of Squirrell and Utting, merchants. In 1887 Mr. Squirrell was returned as a Liberal member of the Norwich Town Council, but dissented from his party, and at a subsequent election was defeated at the poll. A well informed man, he took great interest in economic and fiscal questions, and was an active member of the Norwich Science Gossip Club.