January 1st 1895
Severe weather was experienced throughout the county. The snowfall was heavy, and deep drifts everywhere impeded traffic, especially in West Norfolk. On the 23rd the Yare overflowed its banks, and during a fearful storm at Yarmouth the water rose to an alarming height. Elaborate precautions were taken to prevent a recurrence of the catastrophe of the previous mouth, and although the Hall Quay was flooded the water was kept out of the dwellings sad store-houses. The Beach Gardens narrowly escaped destruction. On the same day Eccles tower, which had been a landmark for generations, fell through the force of wind and waves. In the last week of the month the frost was more intense than it had been at any time during the winter, and in Norwich pedestrian and vehicular traffic was rendered difficult by the snow. Observations taken at Blofield on February 6th showed that the thermometer in screen, four feet above ground, fell to four degrees Fahrenheit, and the exposed thermometer on the grass to three and a half degrees below zero. This was said to have been three degrees colder than on any night during the severe frost of 1890–91, and it was the coldest night since January 26th, 1881. On the 9th the frost was more severe in certain districts than had hitherto been recorded in the century, and remarkably low readings were received from various parts of the county. Skating was everywhere general. At Diss an ice carnival held on the Mere was attended by between 2,000 and 3,000 people attired in fancy costumes, and similar displays of a minor character took place in other localities. On the 17th the frost showed unmistakable signs of breaking up. For twenty-eight successive nights, from January 20th to February 17th, the mercury had fallen below freezing point, a longer period of continuous frost in the opening months of the year than had probably been recorded for half a century.
January 8th 1895
Avenue Road Board School, Norwich, built at the cost of nearly £12,000, was opened by an inaugural meeting held under the presidency of the Mayor (Col. Bignold), at which addresses were delivered by the Lord Bishop and Sir G. W. Kekewich, K.C.B., Secretary to the Education Department.
January 19th 1895
A meeting of the owners of marshes lying near the Yare and Bure was held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, to consider the advisability of adopting a plan for the protection of the level from high tides by a commission who would have the power of maintaining the river walls. The question was adjourned for further consideration, and on March 30th the proposed scheme was rejected.
January 31st 1895
M. Paderewski gave a pianoforte recital at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
February 1st 1895
The Sandringham shire horses, the property of the Prince of Wales, were sold by auction at Wolferton by Mr. A. Beck. The total amount realised was 5,231 gs., and the average per animal £119 3s. 8d.
February 1st 1895
Died at Stoke Holy Cross, Mr. Henry Birkbeck. He was the only son of Mr. Henry Birkbeck, of Keswick, and was born on February 10th, 1821. His mother was the eldest daughter of Mr. Joseph Gurney, who left to his grandson his share in the great Norwich bank of Messrs. Gurneys and Co. Mr. Birkbeck began his training in the bank on January 1st, 1839, and became a partner in the concern on his coming of age. He married in October, 1849, the eldest daughter of Mr. Anthony Hamond, of Westacre. She died in 1862, and 1871 he married Miss ffolkes, only sister of Sir W. H. B. ffolkes, of Hillington. In 1853 Mr. Birkbeck served the office of Sheriff of Norwich, and in 1860 was High Sheriff of Norfolk. For several years he represented the old Fourth Ward as a member of the Norwich Town Council. He was a most generous supporter of local charities and benevolent institutions, was honorary treasurer of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, and chairman of the executive bodies of the Great Hospital and the Bethel.
February 18th 1895
By invitation of Mr. Thomas Crammer, Lindahl, the renowned Scandinavian skater, visited East Dereham for the purpose of meeting “Fish” Smart in a skating contest. Upwards of 2,000 persons assembled on the ice. The first race of one and a half miles was won by Smart in 5 minutes 48 4.5ths seconds; Lindahl won the second race over the same course. Owing to the bad condition of the ice the competitors were unable to establish a record.
March 4th 1895
Died at St. Faith’s House, Norwich, Mr. John Hotblack, aged 74. He was a justice of the peace for the city and for the county, and for several years represented the old First Ward in the Town Council. In November, 1884, Mr. Hotblack was elected Mayor of Norwich.
March 7th 1895
Died at Soham Vicarage, the residence of his son, the Rev. Cyprian T. Rust, LL.B. For twenty-two years he was a clergyman in Norwich, and held successively the livings of St. Michael-at-Thorn and Heigham; in 1875 he was presented to the living of Westerfield, near Ipswich. Mr. Rust was born of Baptist parents, and after serving as a clerk in a London counting-house became a Baptist minister at Colchester, where he worked from 1838 to 1841. Thence he went to Queen’s College, Cambridge, and took his LL.B. degree in 1852, in which year he was ordained deacon by Bishop Hinds, and in 1853 priest by the Bishop of Ely. Mr. Rust did much literary work in the form of magazine articles, and was in many ways very successful as an essayist. He was the author of “Higher Criticism: Some Account of its Labours upon Primitive History,” published in 1889; “Essays and Reviews”; “The Break of Day in the 18th Century: a History and a Specimen of the first book of English Song” &c.
March 11th 1895
A meeting of Norwich traders was held at the Guildhall, at which it was resolved to re-establish a Chamber of Commerce in the city.
March 15th 1895
Died at Bracondale, Mr. Henry Colman, last surviving son of Mr. Robert Colman, of Rockland St. Andrew’s, in his 82nd year. He was one of the eleven brothers Colman who constituted the famous cricket team. Mr. Colman for several years represented the old Sixth Ward as a member of the Norwich Town Council.
March 19th 1895
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council the City Engineer (Mr. A. E. Collins) presented a report which stated that a further sum of £200,000 ought to be expended upon the Norwich sewerage works. The Council adopted a scheme involving the expenditure of £72,000 beyond the sum of £80,000 authorised by the Norwich Corporation Act. (_See_ January 22nd, 1896.)
March 21st 1895
Brigadier-General Bulwer presented the long-service medal to past and present members of Volunteer battalions in Norfolk. The presentations were made at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
March 24th 1895
A hurricane such as had never been known in living memory occurred on this day (Sunday). It swept over city and county, and its effects were experienced in the greater portion of the south-eastern district. Houses were unroofed and partially demolished, great chimney stacks destroyed, strong walls levelled, and solid masonry overthrown. There was not a park in the county which was not despoiled, and many thousands of trees were torn from the soil. Fortunately the storm happened upon a day when people were able to keep to their houses, otherwise the loss of life must have been serious. Only one casualty was admitted to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. The storm was of short duration. At dawn a blustering March wind prevailed, as the day advanced the weather became squally, then the wind blew from W.S.W. and attained cyclonic intensity, at 4.30 p.m. the hurricane subsided. On the 25th Norfolk presented a vast scene of devastation.
March 30th 1895
Died at his residence, the Abbey, Westacre, Mr. Anthony Hamond, in his 61st year. The eldest son of Mr. Anthony Hamond, he was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, and entered upon the duties and pursuits of a country gentleman. He became very popular as master of the West Norfolk Foxhounds, and on his retirement from the mastership was presented with his portrait. In the dark days of agricultural depression the tenantry on the estate experienced the practical sympathy of Mr. Hamond, who was a most kind and generous landlord. In the breeding of cattle and horses he took great interest. His shorthorns obtained wide celebrity, and his shires were equally well known. Mr. Hamond first conceived the idea of a stud-book for the Norfolk hackney; he was one of the founders of the Hackney Horse Society, was elected first president in June, 1883, and held office until June, 1885. He consistently supported the policy of the moderate Liberals, but when the great disruption came he unhesitatingly threw in his lot with the Unionists. On the death of Sir William Bagge in 1880 Mr. Hamond was approached by the Liberal electors of West Norfolk with the view of obtaining his consent to his nomination in opposition to Mr. Tyssen Amherst, but he declined, and the Conservative candidate was returned without a contest. A General Election took place a month afterwards, when Mr. Hamond was induced to stand against Mr. Amherst and Mr. Bentinck, and was defeated. He was much interested in the administrative work of the county, was a member of the County Council, and chairman of the Small Holdings and Allotments Committee. Mr. Hamond, who was a magistrate and a Deputy-Lieutenant for the county, married the only daughter of Sir Thomas Hare, of Stow.
April 2nd 1895
The lectures on ecclesiastical history were resumed at Norwich Cathedral by Archdeacon Sinclair, of London, who gave an address on “The Life and Times of Cyprian.” On the 17th the Rev. J. T. Kingsmill, D.D., vicar of Hockering, lectured on “The Life and Times of St. Chrysostom.” Another series commenced on November 21st with a lecture by the Rev. Professor Gwatkin, of Cambridge, on “The Life and Times of Eusebius”; followed on November 28th by the Rev. Professor Ince, D.D., of Oxford, on “The Life and Times of Athanasius”; and on December 5th, by the Rev. A. E. Brooke, M.A., of King’s College, Cambridge, on “The Life and Times of Origen.” (_See_ February 5th, 1896.)
April 2nd 1895
Mr. Clement Higgins, Q.C., M.P., for Mid Norfolk, applied for the stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds, and on the 4th the Unionist party in the constituency opened the election campaign, and at a large meeting at Wymondham Mr. R. T. Gurdon was unanimously adopted a candidate in opposition to Mr. F. W. Wilson. The writ was issued by the House of Commons on the 8th, and the nomination took place at East Dereham on the 16th. Great activity was displayed by both parties up to the day of polling on the 23rd. The result was declared at Dereham on the 24th as follows:—Gurdon, 4,112; Wilson, 3,904.
April 4th 1895
Died at his residence, the Woodlands, Norwich, Mr. Robert Fitch, in his 93rd year. Mr. Fitch, who was a native of Ipswich, was a partner in the firm of Fitch and Chambers, chemists and druggists, Norwich. In 1858 he was appointed upon the commission of the peace, and in 1867 became Sheriff of Norwich. He was connected with the directorate of several public companies, and for more than thirty years was an honorary secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society. Among his literary contributions to the society’s proceedings was an admirable description of “The Gates of Norwich.” Mr. Fitch was widely known as a collector, and possessed one of the finest private collections in the kingdom, which some years before his death he handed over to the trustees of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum.
April 29th 1895
Died at Letheringsett Hall, Mr. William Hardy Cozens-Hardy, aged 88. A son of Jeremiah and Mary Ann Cozens, of Sprowston, he assumed the name of Cozens-Hardy in 1842. In 1830 he married Sarah, daughter of Thomas Theobald; on July 21st, 1880, he celebrated his “golden” wedding, and in 1890 his “diamond” wedding. Mrs. Cozens-Hardy died in 1891. In his early life he was articled to Messrs. Foster and Unthank, solicitors. Mr. Cozens-Hardy was a regular attendant at Quarter Sessions, and was for many years chairman of the Holt bench of magistrates. A Liberal in politics he conferred many benefits upon his immediate neighbourhood. In 1851 he built the British school at Holt; he was the promoter of the Holt Literary Society, and the founder of the Reepham Provident Society, one of the most important organizations of the kind in the Eastern Counties. For fifty years he was connected with the Erpingham Union, and it was mainly due to him that the workhouse was erected at West Beckham in 1851.
May 18th 1895
A severe gale wrought much havoc on the Norfolk coast. The Short Blue fishing fleet suffered severely, the Yarmouth smack Royal Standard was lost, many other casualties occurred, and remarkable escapes were recorded.
May 19th 1895
Died at his residence, Harford Lodge, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Edward Bignold, Mayor of Norwich. Col. Bignold, whose age was 64, was fourth son of Sir Samuel Bignold, some time Member of Parliament for the city. In his boyhood he became associated with his father in the official direction of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society; from 1858 until the death of Sir Samuel in 1875, he was his assistant; and after that date he filled the office of secretary of the society. In 1852 he joined the West Norfolk Militia as lieutenant, and ultimately attained the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He married in 1856, Cecilia, third daughter of Mr. J. F. Graver Browne, of Morley Hall, Wymondham. On five occasions Col. Bignold was elected to the Norwich Town Council as representative of the old Fifth Ward; in 1889 he sustained his only electoral defeat, and was thereupon elected to an aldermanic seat. A staunch and earnest Churchman and Conservative he was for many years president of the old Eldon Club, and shortly before the death of his father was elected leader of the Conservative party in Norwich, and enjoyed until the close of his life the loyal and enthusiastic adherence of the rank and file of the party. Col. Bignold was a Deputy-Lieutenant and magistrate for the county of Norfolk, and a justice of the peace for the city, and one of the original members of the Norfolk County Club. [“It is nearly a century and a quarter since any Mayor of Norwich died in his official year. The last event of the kind occurred in 1774—Mr. John Langley Watts.”] Upon the death of Col. Bignold votes of sympathy and condolence were passed by various public bodies, and on the 26th the Bishop of Exeter preached the funeral sermon at the church of St. Mark, Lakenham.
May 21st 1895
The Prince of Wales arrived at Yarmouth, and on the 22nd attended a ball given at the Royal Assembly Rooms by the officers of the Norfolk Artillery Militia. On the 23rd his Royal Highness, as hon. colonel, inspected the regiment, and on the 24th left by special train for Norwich.
May 24th 1895
The Prince of Wales visited Norwich for the purpose of unveiling the Pelham memorial throne at the Cathedral. His Royal Highness was received at Thorpe railway-station by the Dean, the Deputy-Mayor (Sir Peter Eade), and the Sheriff (Mr. S. G. Hill), and escorted by a detachment of the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards was driven to the Cathedral. The Bishop and the Cathedral body met his Royal Highness at the great west door, whence a procession was formed to the choir, where a vast congregation had assembled to witness the ceremony. The Prince having unveiled the throne, was thanked for his gracious presence by Mr. Samuel Hoare, M.P., on behalf of the diocese. His Royal Highness afterwards inspected various points of interest in the Cathedral, and was entertained to luncheon at the Deanery by the Dean and Mrs. Lefroy. At 3.10 p.m. he proceeded to town by ordinary train. The memorial throne was designed by Mr. John L. Pearson, R.A., and with the exception of the sculptured figures, which were carved by Mr. N. Hitch, of London, the work was executed by Messrs. Cornish and Gaymer, of North Walsham.
May 28th 1895
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Sir Peter Eade was elected to fill the casual vacancy of Mayor, occasioned by the death of Col. Bignold. The Mayor-elect nominated Mr. C. R. Gilman as his deputy.
June 1st 1895
The 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment formed a marching column of 200 of all ranks, and under the command of Col. Dawson proceeded to Stratton Strawless, where a camp was formed in the park. On the 2nd the march was resumed to Blickling Park, where the column encamped, and in the afternoon attended service at the parish church. On the morning of the 3rd outpost duty was practised, and in the afternoon the column marched to Norwich, and was dismissed at the Drill Hall.
June 2nd 1895
A serious fire occurred on board the Jenny Lind steamboat at Foundry Bridge, Norwich.
June 11th 1895
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Russell of Killowen, Frederic Butcher, 15, carpenter’s apprentice, was indicted for feloniously shooting at the Rev. Arthur Hamilton Upcher, with intent to do him grievous bodily harm, at Baconsthorpe, on January 3rd. The prisoner was found guilty, and recommended to mercy on account of his youth. He was sentenced to nine calendar months’ imprisonment.
June 11th 1895
At the Norwich Assizes, before the Lord Chief Justice, Frederick Miles, 27, labourer, was indicted for the wilful murder of Mildred Miles, his wife, at St. John Timberhill, Norwich, on June 1st. The jury returned a verdict of guilty, but strongly recommended him to mercy on the ground that he had received great provocation. His lordship passed sentence of death, which was afterwards commuted to penal servitude for life.
June 15th 1895
Died at 24, Fairfax Road, South Hampstead, London, Mr. Philip Soman, senior proprietor of the “Norfolk Daily Standard,” aged 60.
June 18th 1895
The old Toll House premises at Yarmouth were opened as a museum.
June 19th 1895
Mr. Henry Staniforth Patteson was elected leader of the Conservative party in Norwich, in place of Lieut.-Col. Bignold, deceased.
June 21st 1895
A terrible tragedy occurred near Yarmouth. George Stanford, a bank clerk, aged 25, in the employment of Messrs. Gurneys and Co., drowned his _fiancée_, Edith Mary Argyle, in the Steam Mill dyke, at Caister, and then committed suicide by drowning himself.
June 29th 1895
The foundation-stone of the new church of St. Peter, Sheringham, was laid by Mrs. Upcher, the principal contributor of the total sum of £7,000, the estimated cost of the building. The church was designed by Messrs. St. Aubyn and Wadling, of Lamb Buildings, Temple, London, and the contractors were Messrs. Bardell Bros., of King’s Lynn.
July 1st 1895
The election campaign was opened in Norwich by a meeting of the Liberal Two Hundred held at the Agricultural Hall under the presidency of Mr. George White, when Mr. Thomas Terrell, Q.C., 13, St. Petersburg Place, Paddington, W., was adopted as the colleague of Mr. F. W. Verney. The Conservative electors met at St. Andrew’s Hall on the 3rd, under the presidency of Mr. Patteson, and the name of Sir Harry Bullard was announced as the colleague of Mr. Samuel Hoare. On the 6th Earl Spencer addressed a Liberal meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall, and on the 8th at the same place Mr. Goschen was the principal speaker at a Conservative meeting. Sir Harry Bullard, who had been absent in Norway, returned to Norwich on the 10th, and was received with an extraordinary demonstration of popular enthusiasm. The nomination took place on the 12th, and the polling on the 16th, and the result was declared as follows:—Hoare, 8,166; Bullard, 8,034; Terrell, 7,330; Verney, 7,210.
July 4th 1895
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Wymondham. In the absence of the president, Mr. J. J. Colman, the public luncheon was presided over by Mr. R. Harvey Mason. The show closed on the 5th.
July 5th 1895
Died at the Clyffe, Corton, Caroline, wife of Mr. J. J. Colman. Mrs. Colman was the eldest daughter of Mr. W. H. Cozens-Hardy, of Letheringsett Hall, and was in her 64th year. Her death was lamented by all classes of citizens, and the representatives of all political parties attended the funeral, which took place at the Rosary on the 10th.
July 12th 1895
Mr. T. Gibson Bowles (C.) and Mr. Hubert George Beaumont, Piccadilly Chambers, London (L.), were nominated candidates for the representation of King’s Lynn. Polling took place on the 15th: Bowles, 1,395; Beaumont, 1,326.
July 12th 1895
Sir John Colomb (C.) and Mr. J. M. Moorsom (L.) were nominated for Great Yarmouth. Polling took place on the 16th: Colomb, 3,528; Moorsom, 2,893.
July 13th 1895
The nomination of candidates for South Norfolk took place at the Shirehall, Norwich. Mr. Thomas Hamer Dolbey, Stratford House, Sutton, Surrey, barrister-at-law, was proposed by the Liberals, and Mr. Francis Taylor, of Diss, brewer, by the Unionists. Polling on the 17th: Taylor, 4,281; Dolbey, 3,445.
July 13th 1895
At the Shirehall, Norwich, Mr. Henry Rider Haggard, of Ditchingham House, land owner and occupier, was nominated Unionist candidate, and Mr. Robert John Price, of 104, Sloane Street, Chelsea, barrister-at-law, Liberal candidate, for East Norfolk. On the polling day, the 19th, the Unionist candidate and his supporters were attacked at Ludham by a gang of Liberal roughs, and Mrs. William Hartcup, who occupied one of the carriages, received a severe wound on the head from a stone thrown by a person in the crowd. The incident gave rise to many expressions of public indignation. The result of the election was declared at the Shirehall, Norwich, on the 20th: Price, 4,606; Haggard, 4,408. (_See_ July 30th.)
July 13th 1895
The nomination of candidates for North Norfolk took place at Aylsham. Mr. Herbert Hardy Cozens-Hardy, Q.C., of Letheringsett Hall, was nominated by the Liberals, and Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp, Bart., of Mergate Hall, Braconash, banker, by the Unionists. The polling on the 22nd resulted as follows: Cozens-Hardy, 4,246; Kemp, 3,738.
July 17th 1895
Mr. Robert Thornhagh Gurdon, of Letton Hall, Unionist, and Mr. F. W. Wilson, newspaper proprietor and farmer, of the Dale, Scarning, Liberal, were nominated at East Dereham as candidates for Mid Norfolk. Polling took place on the 24th: Wilson, 4,220; Gurdon, 4,086.
July 17th 1895
At Swaffham candidates were nominated for the representation of South-west Norfolk. Mr. Thomas Leigh Hare, of Stow Bardolph, was proposed by the Unionists, and Mr. Richard Winfrey, Long Sutton, Lincolnshire, farmer and newspaper proprietor, by the Liberals. The polling took place on the 25th: Hare, 3,968; Winfrey, 3,762.
July 18th 1895
Mr. Joseph Arch, of Barford, Warwickshire, officially described as a labourer, was at King’s Lynn nominated Liberal candidate for North-west Norfolk. The Unionist nominee was Mr. Edward Kendrick Bunbury Tighe, Woodstock, Kilkenny, Ireland, and Albany Chambers, Piccadilly, London, lieutenant in the Army Reserve, and justice of the peace for Kilkenny. The polling took place on the 26th: Arch, 4,817; Tighe, 3,520.
July 18th 1895
A shocking catastrophe occurred on Ormesby Broad. A sailing boat occupied by nine young fishermen capsized in a sudden squall, and six of the party were drowned.
July 21st 1895
Died, the veteran actor and theatrical manager, Mr. William Sidney (Mr. Sidney Young), who for many years in the old days of stock companies controlled the destinies of the Norwich Theatre. Mr. Sidney was a capable exponent of character parts. Of late years he had devoted himself almost entirely to stage management, and was responsible for the staging of several of the most successful productions at the Adelphi and other London theatres.
July 30th 1895
At Smallburgh Petty Sessions, Lord John Wodehouse was summoned for assaulting Mr. John Gaymer, builder and contractor, at North Walsham, on July 17th; and William Saul, a dealer, was charged with aiding and abetting. The complainant was presiding at a Conservative meeting held in North Walsham, marketplace, when Lord Wodehouse seized him by the coat, dragged him from the chair, and using most foul language offered to fight him for £50. In this he was abetted by Saul. The chairman of the Bench (Sir H. J. Preston, Bart.) said the redeeming part of the case was that there was no actual violence that had resulted in injury. Lord Wodehouse was fined £3 7s. 6d., and costs £1 12s. 6d., and Saul £1, and costs to the like amount. The Lord Chancellor afterwards removed the name of Lord Wodehouse from the commission of the peace. At the same court nine persons were summoned for taking part in the riot at Ludham on the day of the East Norfolk election, and the majority were convicted and fined in various amounts.
August 1st 1895
The parish church of Burnham Thorpe, restored at the cost of about £7,000 as a memorial to Nelson, who was a native of the village, was opened for public worship on this the anniversary of the battle of the Nile. The work was carried out from designs by Sir A. Bloomfield.
August 8th 1895
Mr. John Edmund Wentworth Addison, Q.C., who had been appointed to fill the vacancy in the judgeship of the Norfolk County Court on the retirement of Mr. E. P. Price, Q.C., took his seat for the first time at the Aylsham Court. Mr. Addison was formerly Member of Parliament for Ashton-under-Lyne, and Recorder of Preston.
August 12th 1895
Dramatic performances were given at Norwich Theatre by the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards on this and the five succeeding nights in aid of the funds of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. The pieces produced were “Easy Shaving,” and a burlesque of “Faust.”
August 14th 1895
The Elmham shorthorns and red polls, the property of Mr. Fulcher, were sold by Mr. John Thornton, and realised the total sum of £1,961 3s. 6d.
August 25th 1895
The Hunstanton yawl, Princess of Wales, with sixteen persons on board, capsized whilst on a trip to Skegness, and five were drowned.
August 29th 1895
The 1st King’s Dragoon Guards, after being quartered in Norwich for over two years, marched for Colchester. The headquarters of the 7th Dragoon Guards marched in on September 18th.
September 12th 1895
The premises of Messrs. Sullivan and Co., wholesale confectioners, West End Street, Norwich, were destroyed by fire.
September 19th 1895
The Channel Squadron arrived in Yarmouth Roads. The vessels included the Royal Sovereign (flagship of Vice-Admiral Lord Walter Kerr), Empress of India, Resolution, and Repulse, battleships; the Blenheim, Endymion, and Bellona, cruisers; the Halcyon, gunboat; and the Speedy, torpedo gunboat. The officers and men numbered 4,500. Civic and public entertainments were given in honour of the visit. The squadron steamed south on the 24th.
September 23rd 1895
Climatic variations of a remarkable character were recorded. The thermometer on the grass in the morning fell to freezing point (32 degrees), at two p.m. it stood at 77.2 degrees in the shade, one degree higher than the point known as summer heat, and about seven degrees higher than the average _maximum_ day readings for the month of July. In the screen the thermometer fell to 38.4 degrees, the range of temperature for the day being nearly 40 degrees. The _minimum_ was about 12 degrees below, and the _maximum_ about 12 degrees above the usual standard for September. On the 24th the _maximum_ shade temperature was 75.8 degrees.
September 25th 1895
At the Guildhall, Norwich, the honorary freedom of the city was conferred upon the Mayor (Sir Peter Eade). At the conclusion of the proceedings the members of the Corporation proceeded to the Castle Museum, where a portrait of the Mayor, painted by Mr. Stanhope A. Forbes, was unveiled by Lord Walsingham.
September 27th 1895
Died at Welborne Rectory, the Rev. George Robert Winter, Hon. Canon of Norwich Cathedral, in his 69th year. He was a son of Mr. Roger Winter, barrister-at-law, Calcutta, and grandson of Mr. John Winter, of Acton, many years solicitor to the Bank of England. Educated at Eaton and at Brasenose College, Oxford, Canon Winter was for many years vicar of Swaffham. In his University days he was a famous athlete, president of the Boat Club, stroke of the Brasenose boat, and a bold and fearless horseman. In addition to his other accomplishments Canon Winter was a very clever artist.
September 28th 1895
Died at Ipswich, Dr. John Ellor Taylor, F.G.S., F.L.S., aged 60. Dr. Taylor was the son of a foreman in a Lancashire cotton factory, and early in life was sent to the engineer’s shop of the London and North-Western Railway, at Crewe. He subsequently removed to Manchester, and contributed to the newspapers, and on adopting journalism as an occupation secured an appointment on the “Norwich Mercury.” During the smallpox epidemic in 1872 he contributed a remarkable series of articles to the “Eastern Daily Press” on “Haunts and Homes of Smallpox in Norwich,” the materials for which he obtained by personal visits to the dwellings of the stricken people. Resolutely declining to be vaccinated, he contracted the disease, which considerably marred his hitherto handsome features. He left Norwich to become the curator of Ipswich Museum and editor of “Hardwick’s Science Gossip,” and in 1885 visited Australia on a lecturing tour. Dr. Taylor was the author of several works, notably “Geological Stories,” “The Playtime Naturalist,” “Half-hours in the Green Lanes,” “Half-hours at the Seaside,” “The Sagacity and Morality of Plants,” &c.
October 8th 1895
The Church Congress commenced its proceedings at Norwich. The members were welcomed at the Guildhall by the Mayor (Sir Peter Eade), after which the Congress sermons were preached at the Cathedral by the Archbishop of York, and at St. Peter Mancroft by the Bishop of Salisbury. The sessional proceedings were opened at the Agricultural Hall at two p.m. by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, who delivered the inaugural address, and afterwards an address of welcome was presented by the Nonconformist bodies. Sectional meetings took place day by day at St. Andrew’s Hall, the Conservative Club Assembly Room, St. Giles’ Street, and in the Assembly Room at the Agricultural Hall. An ecclesiastical art exhibition was held at St. Giles’ Hall (the old Skating Rink), and during the week meetings of various Church societies took place. The Mayor and Mayoress held a reception at the Castle Museum on the 11th, and the farewell sermon was preached at the Cathedral on the 13th by the Bishop of Peterborough.
October 21st 1895
Died at Christchurch, Mr. Henry Reeve, C.B., D.C.L. The son of a physician, he was born at Norwich in 1813, and educated at the Grammar School under Valpy. He afterwards proceeded to Geneva, where he completed his education. Mr. Reeve began his literary career by a translation of De Tocqueville’s “Democracy in America,” published in 1835. It was followed, in 1840, by a translation of M. Guizot’s “Washington.” In 1837 Mr. Reeve was appointed Registrar of the Privy Council, and occupied the post for exactly fifty years. He was a frequent contributor to the “Edinburgh Review,” of which he ultimately held the editorship for forty years.
October 22nd 1895
The first of several meetings held in furtherance of a projected line of railway between Forncett and Haddiscoe took place at Hempnall. The distance proposed to be covered was fourteen miles, and the estimated cost of a single line, £1,500 per mile, or a total of £21,000. The directors of the Great Eastern Railway in October, 1896, intimated that they did not see their way to provide the railway communication suggested. (_See_ April 23rd, 1898.)
October 27th 1895
The sixth specimen recorded in Norfolk of Ray’s bream (_Brama Raii_) was taken in the nets of a Yarmouth drifter.
November 2nd 1895
The Norwich Volunteer Medical Staff Corps was disbanded.
November 2nd 1895
A public meeting representative of the agricultural and trading interests, convened by the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, was held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, to consider what action should be taken in consequence of the publication of the report of the Royal Commission on Agriculture by the Assistant-Commissioner (Mr. R. Henry Rew) to bring the disastrous condition of agriculture in Norfolk under the attention of the Government. Resolutions were adopted requesting the Prime Minister to receive a deputation of Norfolk agriculturists. On the 6th Lord Salisbury replied that he was so well aware of the existing state of things that he would be reluctant to put a deputation to the trouble of attending to lay their views before him especially as the whole question was occupying the attention of the Government. He promised to give special attention to certain points afterwards submitted to him by the secretary to the Chamber. (_See_ February 7th, 1896.)
November 9th 1895
Mr. John Moore was elected Mayor and Mr. George Arthur Coller appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 13th 1895
In the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, before Mr. Justice Romer, was heard the action Gould _v._ Coaks. This was a new phase of the prolonged litigation arising from the Crown Bank failure. This action was brought by the plaintiff, the trustee in the bankruptcy of Harvey and Hudson’s Bank, against Mr. Coaks, and the representatives of Mr. E. C. Bailey, deceased, and of Mr. Hill, deceased. The plaintiff asked for an account of all monies received, for an enquiry of all purchases, leases, and profits which had been made or received by Mr. Coaks in connection with the estate, and also that interest upon the sums found due should be calculated as from the date of the receipt until time of payment. The argument in support of the plaintiff’s case lasted until the 15th, when Mr. Warmington, Q.C., by whom he was represented, said that an arrangement had been arrived at by counsel on both sides. The plaintiff proposed to take an order of a general character as between himself and Mr. Coaks of all sums he had received in respect of the estate of Sir Robert Harvey. Mr. Coaks also gave up all the purchases that he had made either of the bankrupt’s estate or the separate estate, and there would be the usual enquiry with regard to them in order to bring out those which were profitable and those which were not, giving to the plaintiff the opportunity of taking those which were profitable and to leave the others according to the usual plan, and there would be an account of profits. There would also be an enquiry as to balances in Mr. Coaks’ hands in respect to which he would be charged with interest. The costs were to be moderated, and so moderated as that no costs were to be allowed which had been charged elsewhere. (_See_ August 5th, 1896.)
December 8th 1895
Died at Parham, Suffolk, in his 80th year, the Right Rev. George Hills, D.D. He became in 1848 vicar of Yarmouth, and was appointed in 1853 Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral. In 1859 he was consecrated first Bishop of British Columbia. In 1892 Bishop Hills exchanged colonial work for the country benefice where he died.
December 14th 1895
Died at 32, Albert Hall Mansions, London, Mrs. Jones, widow of the Rev. Canon Herbert Jones, and daughter of Mr. Daniel Gurney, of North Runcton. She was the authoress of several works, including “Memoirs of Princess Charlotte,” and “Sandringham, Past and Present.” Mrs. Jones had also contributed many interesting articles to the “Edinburgh Review.”
December 15th 1895
Died at Diss, Mr. Thomas Edward Amyot, F.R.C.S., eldest son of Mr. Thomas Amyot, F.R.S., F.S.A., aged 78. Of geology Mr. Amyot had much practical knowledge, was one of the first to write about the famed Hoxne pits, and he also assisted Canon Greenwell in his examination of the Grimes’ graves. With his pencil he was very clever, rather after the style of Caldicott, and quite as original. His facility in writing verse was well known. His “Legend of Cologne” was criticised as being not inferior to “Ingoldsby”; and his “Oleum Jecoris Aselli,” after the rhythm of “Hiawatha,” was pronounced by Bishop Goodwin as being one of the cleverest things of the kind he had ever read. Astronomy was also one of Mr. Amyot’s favourite studies.
December 19th 1895
Lord Wolseley, Commander-in-Chief of the British Army, visited Norwich for the purpose of inaugurating the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home in Queen Street. His lordship was escorted from Thorpe railway-station to the Home by a detachment of the 7th Dragoon Guards. After inspecting the premises he proceeded to the Guildhall, where he was entertained to luncheon by the Mayor (Mr. John Moore). His lordship afterwards attended the inaugural meeting held at St. Andrew’s Hall, and delivered an address.