January 1st 1894
Severe frost set in, and continued until the 9th. The snowfall was very heavy, serious inconvenience was caused to railway and other traffic, and many casualties were reported upon the coast as the result of a north-east gale.
January 2nd 1894
The Duke of York made his first public visit to Lynn, and opened the new Technical School erected by the Corporation at the cost of £3,000.
January 10th 1894
A furious gale which sprung up from the south-west did not subside until the 12th. Much damage was done in town and country, and many casualties were reported among the Yarmouth fishing fleet.
January 11th 1894
Died at his residence, Burlingham House, the Hon. Harbord Harbord, in his 58th year. Mr. Harbord was the sixth and posthumous son of the third Lord Suffield, and was twice married; first to Constance Adelaide, third daughter of Sir H. J. Stracey, and afterwards to Barbara Sophia Harriot, daughter of Mr. Edgar Disney, of Ingatestone, and widow of Major Philip Bennet, of Rougham Hall. Having acquired a practical knowledge of agriculture under Mr. Robert Leeds he undertook the management of the estates of his friends and relatives. “In Norfolk his relationship to the landowners whom he represented gave him a status and influence with the tenantry altogether above and beyond that of the ordinary estate agent.” Mr. Harbord, who was a Deputy-Lieutenant and magistrate for Norfolk, and upon the commission of the peace for Wiltshire, for many years acted as foreman of the grand jury at the Norfolk Assizes.
January 18th 1894
The whole county of Norfolk, including the city of Norwich and the boroughs, was declared an infected area in consequence of the prevalence of swine fever. Major Tennant, chief inspector of the Board of Agriculture, attended a meeting of the Executive Committee at the Shirehall, Norwich, and discussed the subject of the swine fever regulations; and on October 17th an Order of the Board was published revoking restrictions upon the sale and movement of swine within the county as from October 23rd.
January 19th 1894
After the lapse of many years, Blondin, “the most famous and intrepid of all rope walkers,” appeared at Norwich in fulfilment of an engagement at Gilbert’s Circus. On the 28th of the month he attained his 70th year.
March 6th 1894
Father Ignatius visited Norwich and addressed a crowded audience at the Agricultural Hall.
March 6th 1894
A special meeting of the Norwich Town Council adopted a scheme for repaving the streets of the city with wood, at the estimated cost of £38,500.
March 22nd 1894
A yachting and fishing exhibition was opened at St. Giles’ Hall, Norwich, and was continued until the 29th.
March 29th 1894
The Norwich Diocesan Conference opened its two days’ proceedings at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich. The principal subjects discussed were the Local Government Act, 1894, and religious education in Board schools. Bishop Sheepshanks presided for the first time.
March 30th 1894
The Rev. G. S. Barrett, B.A., minister of Prince’s Street Congregational Church, Norwich, was invested with the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity at the University of St. Andrew’s. Mr. Barrett was introduced as “the minister of one of the most influential Congregational churches in England; he had made several important contributions to theological literature, and had this year been chosen chairman of the Congregational Union of England and Wales.”
April 9th 1894
Died, the Rev. George Willoughby Barrett, Minor Canon and Precentor of Norwich Cathedral, aged 45. He was a native of Bristol, where his father was well known as a musician. At an early age he was a chorister at Bristol Cathedral, and after completing his school life, entered at Worcester College, Oxford, where in 1872 he graduated B.A. and in 1877 proceeded M.A. He was ordained deacon in 1873 and appointed to the curacy of Easton Royal, Wiltshire. On his admission to priest’s orders he was engaged from 1875 to 1887 in ministerial work at Hampton Lucy, near Stratford-on-Avon. After his appointment as Minor Canon and Precentor at Norwich Cathedral in the latter year, Mr. Barrett did much useful work in promoting the interests of the Norfolk and Norwich Church Choral Association, and in cultivating a taste for the higher class of Church music. He was for several years in succession nominated by the Bishop and Dean chaplain of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
April 10th 1894
Died in London, Mr. William Waring, formerly a tenant of Taverham Hall. A partner in the firm of Waring Brothers, contractors for public works, he had constructed railways in Belgium and India. In association with the firm of Brassy and Peto, his firm had the contract for the construction of the greater portion of what is now known as the Inner Circle of the Underground Railway in London. Mr. Waring was a magistrate for Norfolk, and a munificent supporter of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and other local charities.
April 14th 1894
Died, the Rev. John Nassau Simpkinson, rural dean of Burnham and rector of North Creake, aged 77. He was a son of Sir Francis Simpkinson, was educated at Rugby under Dr. Arnold, and afterwards won a scholarship at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took his degree in 1838 with a first class in the Classical Tripos and a Junior Optime in the Mathematical Tripos. After some years’ service as curate at Hurstmonceux, he was appointed assistant master at Harrow, under Dr. Vaughan, his brother-in-law, and there remained from 1845 to 1855. Mr. Simpkinson was then presented to the rectory of Brington, Northants, and in 1868 to that of North Creake. He was the author of a “Life of Wagner” (1858), of “The Washingtons: a Tale of the Seventeenth century” (1860), and of many articles in the “Edinburgh Review.”
April 30th 1894
In the House of Lords, before Lords Selborne, Watson, McNaughton, Shand, and Morris, was heard the action, Boswell _v._ Coaks. This was an appeal from the judgment of the Lords Justices in the matter of the Harvey life interest. The case for the appellant set forth that this was an appeal from an order of the Court of Appeal, made on November 5th, 1892, in an action in the Chancery Division in which the appellant, on behalf of himself and of other unsatisfied creditors of the late Sir Robert Harvey, was plaintiff and the respondent and others defendants. The order of the Court of Appeal affirmed an order of Mr. Justice North, dated July 27th, 1892, made upon the several motions of the respondent, dismissing the action as against all the defendants, except one, on the ground that it was vexatious and oppressive. The appellant only appealed against the order of the Court of Appeal so far as it affirmed the dismissal of the action as against the respondent. The action commenced on March 11th, 1892, and the object of it was to establish that the judgment of Mr. Justice Fry in a former action, Boswell _v._ Coaks, 1881, which judgment was reversed by the Court of Appeal, but was subsequently restored by the House of Lords, was not binding on the appellant or the other unsatisfied creditors of Sir Robert Harvey, or of the firm of Harvey’s and Hudson’s, on the ground that it was obtained by the fraud of the respondents, and to secure for the appellant and the creditors certain consequential relief. Mr. Crackanthorpe, Q.C., and Mr. Brabant were for the appellant; and the Attorney-General (Sir John Rigby, Q.C.), Mr. H. H. Cozens-Hardy, Q.C., M.P., and Mr. Lawrence for the respondent. Lord Selborne delivered judgment, and said it was not necessary to hear counsel for the respondent. The question was whether anything material to disturb the judgment of the House had been newly discovered by the appellant. That involved a double proposition—that something new had been discovered, and that that something new was material. There was a total defect both of allegation and of evidence as to that which alone could make it material. He had no hesitation in saying that in his opinion it had been dealt with most properly by the Court of Appeal, and that their lordships ought now to dismiss this action with costs, which he accordingly now moved. Their lordships concurred, and the appeal was dismissed with costs. (_See_ November 13th, 1895.)
May 1st 1894
Died at Sunny Hill, Thorpe, the Hon. and Right Rev. Bishop Pelham, aged 82. He was the second son of the second Earl of Chichester, Secretary of State for the Home Department in Addington’s short Ministry of 1801, by Lady Mary Henrietta Juliana, daughter of the fifth Duke of Leeds. Born on June 21st, 1811, he was educated at Westminster and Christ Church, Oxford, and took his degree in 1832. His ordination was followed by his appointment, on the presentation of the Earl of Abergavenny, to the rectory of Bergh Apton, where he remained for fifteen years, during which time he was Hon. Canon of Norwich Cathedral, and in 1847 chaplain to the Queen. Two years prior to the latter appointment Mr. Pelham married Henrietta, daughter of Mr. Thomas Tatton, of Withenshaw, Cheshire. In 1852 the living of Christ Church, Hampstead, was offered to Mr. Pelham by Mr. Gurney Hoare. On the death of Dr. Spry, in 1854, he was nominated by Lord Palmerston to the important Crown living of St. Marylebone. In 1857, on the resignation of Bishop Hinds, he accepted the bishopric of Norwich. “His administration of the diocese covered a period of 36 years, and in the matter of time, was surpassed only by three of the sixty-three bishops who had presided over the see during 800 years; and it was as wise in its broad and tolerant spirit as it was faithful in its discharge of duty.” The remains of the deceased prelate were interred at Bergh Apton on May 5th.
May 2nd 1894
The choir of Norwich Cathedral was re-opened on the completion of the great work of reparation which had been in progress for two years. The “reporting architects” were Sir Gilbert Scott and Mr. John L. Pearson, R.A., and the work was superintended by Mr. C. J. Browne, surveyor to the Dean and Chapter. The total sum raised in aid of the undertaking amounted in the month of December, 1893, to £3,357, and the Dean and Chapter contributed upwards of £2,000 out of their personal income. At the opening service the sermon was preached by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was afterwards presented with an address by the Mayor and Corporation. The Dean and Mrs. Lefroy entertained a distinguished company to luncheon, and the Bishop and Mrs. Sheepshanks gave a garden party at the Palace. (_See_ April 7th, 1898.)
May 15th 1894
Died, the Right Rev. Sidney Linton, D.D., Bishop of Riverina. He was a son of the Rev. H. Linton, rector of St. Peter le Bailey, Oxford, and Hon. Canon of Christ Church, and was educated at Rugby and at Wadham College, Oxford, where he graduated and took second class in law and history in 1864. From 1877 to 1884 he was vicar of St. Philip, Heigham, and in the latter year, on the foundation of the see of Riverina, was appointed the first bishop. In the same year he received the honorary degree of D.D.
May 16th 1894
Died at West Dereham, Mr. Hugh Aylmer, aged 77. Mr. Aylmer had a world-wide reputation as a breeder and exhibitor of stock. He commenced his career as a sheep breeder by introducing into Norfolk some of the best specimens of Cotswold sheep that he could procure, and with these, by the process of selection, he was enabled to produce annually a number of rams which, when distributed among the flocks of the county, had the effect of increasing both the quality and the quantity of wool and mutton. Mr. Aylmer was a noted shorthorn breeder, and his herd was one of the most famous in the country.
May 28th 1894
Died at Mill Hill Road, Norwich, Mr. Samuel Linay, solicitor, aged 57. He was a well known practitioner in petty sessional courts throughout East Anglia, and from 1881 to 1887 represented the old Fourth Ward in the Norwich Town Council.
May 29th 1894
The Mayor of Norwich (Sir Peter Eade) entertained upwards of 1,500 of the aged poor of the city to dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall.
June 2nd 1894
The Earl of Winchilsea and Nottingham addressed a large meeting convened at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, by the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, on the subject of the National Agricultural Union. A resolution affirming the desire of the Chamber to co-operate with the Union was adopted.
June 6th 1894
The Mayor of Norwich formally opened an additional portion of the Gildencroft Recreation Ground, and afterwards declared open for public use the adjoining churchyard of St. Augustine, which had been converted into a public garden and resting-place through the action of the Playing Fields and Open Spaces Society.
June 15th 1894
Mr. Ben Greet’s company of “Woodland Players” gave pastoral representations at Bracondale Woods, Norwich, of “As You Like It” and of scenes from “The Tempest,” in aid of the funds of the Jenny Lind Infirmary.
June 23rd 1894
Intelligence was received in Norwich of the birth of the first child to the Duke and Duchess of York. Congratulatory telegrams were sent to their Royal Highnesses, to the Queen, and to the Prince and Princess of Wales, by the Mayor, on behalf of the citizens.
July 4th 1894
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Yarmouth under the presidency of Lord Suffield, and was continued on the 5th.
July 12th 1894
A three days’ military tournament, in which the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards, the depôt of the Norfolk Regiment, and the Norwich Artillery Volunteers took part, commenced at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, in aid of the clothing fund of the Cadet Corps. Exhibition boxing was given by Frank Slavin and Jim Young.
July 12th 1894
Mr. A. Morley, M.P., Postmaster-General, addressed a Liberal meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
July 17th 1894
The Norwich School of Music was established at a meeting held at the Guildhall.
July 17th 1894
Mr. A. E. Collins, M.I.C.E., of Reading, was appointed by the Norwich Town Council, city engineer and architect in place of Mr. Buchan, resigned.
July 25th 1894
Mr. Joseph Arch, M.P., at a meeting held at New Buckenham, delivered to the agricultural labourers his famous address which was quoted throughout the country for some time afterwards. “You poor, craven milk-and-water fools,” said the hon. member for North-west Norfolk, “why, you button up your pockets at the thought of paying 2¼d. a week when you are told by a lot of lying scampery and scandalism that I have run away with your money. . . . Professor Rogers once said when speaking of the tenant farmers, that their heads were as soft as the mangolds they grew. I think some of the labourers’ heads are as soft as the mangolds they hoe.”
July 28th 1894
The Norfolk Volunteer Brigade camp commenced at Yarmouth. The four battalions numbered 1,923 of all ranks. Brigadier-General Bulwer was in command.
August 1st 1894
Gunton church, erected in the park on the site of the ancient parish church by Sir William Harbord, Bart., in 1769, was re-opened after restoration.
August 4th 1894
The old buildings of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum were closed prior to the removal of the specimens, &c., to the new museum at Norwich Castle. (_See_ October 23rd.)
August 17th 1894
The West Dereham Cotswolds, bred by Mr. Hugh Aylmer, deceased, were sold by Mr. John Thornton and Messrs. Salter and Simpson. Averages: 156 shearlings, 52s. 3d.; 64 two-shear, 51s. 2d.; 128 full-mouthed, 46s.; 100 ram lambs, 31s.; 20 old sheep, £7; 79 shearling rams, £7 5s.; 100 ewe lambs, £7 1s. Total proceeds of the sale, £2,601 18s. 6d.
August 22nd 1894
The sixth annual conference of the Institute of Journalists was opened at Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P. Mr. P. W. Clayden, general editor of the “Daily News,” delivered the inaugural address on the 23rd, and the business proceedings concluded on the 24th. A garden party was given at Carrow Abbey by Mr. Colman, the Mayor and Mayoress held a reception at St. Andrew’s Hall, and the conference dinner took place at Yarmouth Aquarium. Cambridge was visited on the 27th.
August 28th 1894
Died, William Coutts, seventh Earl of Albemarle. He was born in 1832, and succeeded to the title on the death of his father in 1891. Lord Beaconsfield, recognising the services he had rendered to the Conservative party, elevated him to the House of Peers in 1876 as Baron Ashford. In 1857, as Lord Bury, he, with Mr. Schneider, contested Norwich in the Liberal interest and achieved a victory over Sir Samuel Bignold. At the election which took place two years afterwards the same two candidates were returned. Lord Bury then had the honour to be appointed Treasurer of her Majesty’s Household, and this rendered it necessary for him to again contest the constituency. Sir Samuel Bignold again unsuccessfully opposed him; but a petition was presented against Lord Bury’s return, and the election was declared void. In 1860 Sir William Russell and Mr. E. Warner became members for the city. From 1860 to 1865 Lord Bury represented Wick, and from 1868 to 1874 Berwick. On the Liberal disruption he changed sides and contested Stroud in the Conservative cause in 1875, but he was unsuccessful. In early life his lordship did military service in the Scots Guards, and served in India as _aide-de-camp_ to General Lord FitzClarence. For a time he acted as secretary to Earl Russell, and was created a Privy Councillor in 1860 and K.C.M.G. in 1870. In 1855 he married Sophia, daughter of Sir Allan McNab, Prime Minister of Canada.
August 29th 1894
The Roman Catholic church, erected on the site of the old City Gaol at Norwich, at the sole cost of the Duke of Norfolk, was opened. The building, which was only partially completed, was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, and is dedicated to St. John Baptist. The sermon at the opening ceremony was preached by the Rev. Dr. Headley, Bishop of Newport and Menevia.
September 3rd 1894
The Trades Union Congress was opened at Norwich under the presidency of Mr. John Burns, M.P. The delegates, 400 in number, were entertained at Cromer by Mr. Samuel Hoare, M.P., and at Carrow Abbey by Mr. Colman, M.P. The proceedings closed on the 8th with a “trades procession” through the streets of the city.
September 4th 1894
A new lifeboat, the gift of Mrs. Upcher, was launched at Sheringham. The vessel, which was “christened” by the donor the Henry Ramey Upcher, replaced a lifeboat named the Augusta given by the squire fifty years previously.
September 10th 1894
Died at Moseley, Birmingham, Mr. John Hawkes, aged 100 years. For many years he was a clerk in Messrs. Gurney’s Bank at Norwich, and was pensioned by the firm in 1865.
September 10th 1894
Died at Lees Court, Faversham, Earl Sondes. His lordship was born in 1824, and was formerly a captain in the Royal Horse Guards and lieutenant-colonel of the East Kent Mounted Rifles. From 1868 to 1874 he was Conservative member for East Kent. In 1859 he married a daughter of Sir H. J. Stracey, of Rackheath.
September 24th 1894
The Mayoress of Norwich (Lady Eade) unveiled at the Jenny Lind Infirmary a medallion terra-cotta bust of Madame Jenny Lind Goldschmidt, presented to the institution by her husband, Mr. Otto Goldschmidt. Madame Albani, who was on a professional visit to the city, attended the proceedings.
September 25th 1894
A concert was given at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, at which the principal performers were Madame Albani, Mdlle. Antoinette Trebelli, Madame A. Gomez, Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Charles Santley, Mr. Braxton Smith, Mr. Norman Salmond, the Meister Glee Singers. M. Emile Sauret (violin), Mr. B. Patterson Parker (violoncello), Mr. John Thomas (harpist to the Queen), and the Swiss Ladies’ Orchestra. Performances were also given on the 26th, 27th, and 28th.
September 29th 1894
Died at West Rudham Hall, Mr. John Morton, aged 55. He was a great authority on all agricultural matters, an eminent breeder of horses and cattle, and a frequent judge at shows in England and on the Continent.
October 3rd 1894
Mr. Jerome K. Jerome, the well-known author of “Three Men in a Boat” and “Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow,” gave a lecture at the Assembly Room, Agricultural Hall, Norwich, on “Humour, Old and New.”
October 12th 1894
At the Norwich Consistorial Court application was made to Mr. Chancellor Blofeld by the vicar and churchwardens of St. John Timberhill for a faculty to confirm the erection of a rood or crucifix, and its accompanying figures, on a rood loft in the church. The application was supported by Sir Walter Phillimore. The Chancellor delivered judgment on November 10th. A faculty to confirm the erection of the rood loft and of the figures then on the rood beam and to authorise the placing of other figures there was refused. A faculty to confirm the erection of a screen without a rood loft, and to authorise the placing of gates in an existing screen, the erection of proposed side screens with gates in them, and the erection of choir stalls with a screen behind them, was granted.
October 15th 1894
A great meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, presided over by the Hon. Ailwyn Fellowes, M.P., to protest against the proposed disestablishment of the Church in Wales. The principal speaker was the Rev. Thomas Moore, author of “The Englishman’s Brief on behalf of his National Church.”
October 17th 1894
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, before Mr. J. B. R. Bulwer, Q.C., George Chapman, William Chapman, Robert Howard, John Howard, and William Furness were indicted for “unlawfully and riotously assembling with other persons to the number of 200 and more to disturb the public peace,” at Horsham St. Faith’s, on August 10th. The disturbance arose in consequence of a local farmer, Mr. W. W. Cook, employing imported labour because he was unable to arrange terms with the St. Faith’s men. The prisoners, with the exception of Furness, pleaded guilty. The jury were unable to find a verdict in the case of Furness. Another jury were empanelled, and a verdict of guilty returned. Furness was sentenced to two months’ imprisonment with hard labour, and the other prisoners were bound over to keep the peace for twelve months, George Chapman to pay in addition a fine of £5.
October 18th 1894
The Rev. Arthur Thomas Lloyd, D.D., vicar and Hon. Canon of Newcastle-on-Tyne, was at Westminster Abbey consecrated Suffragan Bishop of Norwich, by the Archbishop of Canterbury. The right reverend Bishop had previously been collated and instituted—on October 16th—to the rectory and parish church of North Creake, and on the same day collated to the Archdeaconry of Lynn formed out of the Archdeaconries of Norfolk and Norwich under an order of her Majesty, dated August 23rd, 1894. “By 26th Henry VIII., c. 14, provision was made for the appointment of two Suffragans within the diocese, to bear the titular names of Thetford and Ipswich. In 1536 John Salisbury and Thomas Manning were consecrated by Archbishop Cranmer as Suffragan Bishops of Thetford and Ipswich, and now again after the lapse of three centuries and a half the Bishopric of Thetford is revived.”
October 20th 1894
Died, in his 84th year, Mr. William Henry Cooke, Q.C., County Court judge for Oxfordshire, and Recorder of the city of Oxford. He was some time judge of the Norfolk County Court, and a justice of the peace for the county. Mr. Cooke was the eldest son of the Rev. W. Cooke, vicar of Bromyard, Herefordshire.
October 20th 1894
Died at Wilby Hall, aged 79, Mr. Samuel Colman. He was one of the eleven sons of Mr. Robert Colman, of Rockland, who constituted the famous team of cricketers.
October 23rd 1894
The Duke and Duchess of York visited Norwich and opened the Castle Museum and Fine Art Gallery. Their Royal Highnesses arrived from Sandringham, and were received at Thorpe Station by the Mayor (Sir Peter Eade), the Sheriff (Mr. Barwell), the High Sheriff of Norfolk (Mr. J. H. Gurney), and other prominent officials. Escorted by the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards the Royal visitors drove to the Castle, where they were received by a distinguished gathering, and presented with an address by the Corporation. The Duke having declared the building open, their Royal Highnesses made a tour of the Museum, and were afterwards entertained to luncheon in the Fine Art Gallery. Leaving the Castle under escort of the Loyal Suffolk Hussars, the Duke and Duchess proceeded to the Girls’ Technical School, St. George’s Plain, where they were received by the Countess of Leicester and Mr. and Mrs. Gurney Buxton. Their Royal Highnesses having inspected the School of Cookery, visited the Cathedral, and thence drove to Thorpe Station, en route to Wolferton. The streets of Norwich were decorated in honour of the visit, and in the evening the city was illuminated. The Mayor and Mayoress held a reception at the Cattle, and a military tattoo in which the pipers of the Scots Guards, the depôt companies of the Norfolk Regiment, and the Volunteers took part, was given on the Recreation-ground, Earlham Road.
November 9th 1894
Lieut.-Col. Bignold was elected Mayor of Norwich, and Mr. Samuel Garerd Hill appointed Sheriff.
November 13th 1894
Died at Eckling Grange, East Dereham, Mr. Charles Norton Elvin, M.A. He was well known as an authority on heraldry, and was the author of several standard works on the subject.
November 17th 1894
The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture considered the report of a special committee appointed to enquire into the condition of agriculture in Norfolk. The committee reported that the fall in the value of the Norfolk corn crops, comparing 1894 with 1874, was nearly, if not quite, £3,000,000. In 1874 Norfolk had 762,000 sheep and 128,000 cattle; in 1894 519,000 sheep and 126,000 cattle. Recommendations were made that the whole question of the appreciation of gold, and of the fluctuation of current values, and the incidence of rates and taxes to meet the altered position of agriculture, be reconsidered; that the law of assessments be amended; that the Tithe Commutation Act be revised, so that lands which could no longer be cultivated with corn at a profit should not be tithed on a corn basis; and that a Pure Beer Act be passed charging an extra duty upon all beer made from substances other than barley, malt and hops. The report and recommendations were adopted. At about this date Mr. R. Henry Rew, assistant commissioner, conducted enquiries in various parts of the county into the condition of agriculture. (_See_ November 2nd, 1895.)
November 23rd 1894
Died at Cathedral Street North, Norwich, Miss Emily Stannard, aged 67. She was the only child of Joseph and Emily Stannard, both painters of the Norwich School.
November 28th 1894
The autumnal conference of the Church Association opened at Norwich, and concluded on the 29th.
November 29th 1894
Lord and Lady Amherst of Hackney and their daughters, Lady William Cecil, and the Hon. Sybil, Florence, Margaret, and Alicia Amherst, were presented with valuable testimonials subscribed for by persons of all shades of political opinion in South-west Norfolk. The gift to his lordship, in recognition of the public services he had rendered in Parliament, was a portrait of himself painted by the Hon. John Collier, to Lady Amherst was given a silver writing set, and to her daughters pearl and gold duster bracelets, as tokens of the esteem in which they were held throughout the constituency. Mr. T. L. Hare, M.P., made the presentations in the presence of a large company who had been invited to luncheon in the museum at Didlington Hall.
December 4th 1894
The first meetings of Parish and District Councils elected under the new Local Government Act, 1894, were held. The percentage of unopposed returns at the elections in Norfolk was 72.4. The first election of Guardians for Norwich under the Act took place on the 17th.
December 6th 1894
Died at his residence, 6, Cavendish Square, in his 82nd year, Horatio Walpole, fourth Earl of Orford. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, and afterwards when reading for the Bar occupied the same chambers as Disraeli, who took great interest in him. His lordship married, in 1841, Harriet Bettina Frances, daughter of the Hon. Sir Fleetwood Broughton Reynolds Pellew. He was succeeded by his nephew, Robert Horace Walpole, elder son of the Hon. Frederick Walpole.
December 13th 1894
The officers of the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards gave an amateur dramatic performance of “The Area Belle” and Burnand’s burlesque, “Black-eyed Susan,” at Norwich Theatre, in aid of the Soldiers’ Widows Fund. The performance was repeated on the 14th and 15th.
December 21st 1894
A gale of great violence occurred and lasted throughout the 22nd. Much damage was done in the county to farm buildings and other premises. At Brundall the river Yare overflowed its banks and flooded the railway; at Mundesley the tide was higher than was ever before known, and at Yarmouth the low-lying parts of the town were submerged, and the water entered many granaries and stores. Another high tide and gale were recorded at Yarmouth on the 29th. “The barometric fall accompanying the gale was most remarkable, the mercury having descended 1.26 inches in twenty-four hours.”
December 26th 1894
“The Midsummer Night’s Dream” was produced upon a magnificent scale as the Christmas attraction at Norwich Theatre, by Mr. Ben Greet’s company.
December 29th 1894
Died at Torquay, Colonel Dickson, who was Conservative candidate for Norwich with the Marquis of Douro in 1852. Colonel Dickson was in his 89th year.