January 2nd 1892
A meeting, convened by the Lord Lieutenant of the county (the Earl of Leicester) and the High Sheriff (Mr. S. Gurney Buxton), was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, to consider what steps should be taken to provide a present from Norfolk to the Duke of Clarence and Avondale and Princess Mary Victoria on the occasion of their marriage. It was resolved to open a public subscription. A similar movement was inaugurated by the citizens of Norwich.
January 2nd 1892
The Norfolk County Council appointed Mr. H. C. Bolingbroke “accountant officer” to fill the vacancy occasioned by the retirement of Mr. H. W. Day from the office of County Treasurer.
January 14th 1892
Died, at Sandringham, his Royal Highness the Duke of Clarence and Avondale. The intelligence of the death of the young Prince was received in Norwich with many manifestations of public sorrow and sympathy. The church bells were tolled, flags were hoisted at half-mast upon all public buildings, and the windows of business establishments and private residences were shaded. The High Sheriff at once sent to the Comptroller of the Household of the Prince and Princess of Wales a telegram of sympathy on behalf of himself and the whole county of Norfolk, and on the 15th a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council was held, and addresses of condolence were ordered to be sent to the Queen, the Prince and Princess of Wales, and Princess Victoria Mary of Teck. On Sunday, the 17th, many touching references to the sad event were made in Church and Nonconformist places of worship; and on the 20th, on which day the remains of the deceased Prince were removed from Sandringham to Windsor for interment, a memorial service, attended by the Mayor and Corporation, was held at Norwich Cathedral, and the Dean preached an eloquent sermon. At Prince’s Street Congregational church, at Trinity Presbyterian church, and at St. Mary’s Baptist chapel similar services were held, business was suspended in the city, and the licensed victuallers and hotel proprietors closed their establishments from two o’clock until five o’clock. In every town and village the day was observed with profound solemnity.
January 18th 1892
An important meeting was held at the Deanery, Norwich, to discuss what measures should be taken to complete the sum of £2,500 then being raised by the Church Schools’ Aid Association for the special purpose of increasing and improving the accommodation of the Church day schools in the city. It was resolved that it was the imperative duty of Churchmen to preserve the Church schools in a state of efficiency, and with this object it was decided that the clergy and laity form local branches to augment the fund.
January 19th 1892
Another series of “Science Lectures for the People” commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, when Sir Robert Stawell Ball spoke on “Invisible Stars.” On February 16th the Rev. J. Miller Hamilton lectured on “The Forth Bridge”; and on March 14th Dr. Andrew Wilson on “The Curiosities of Brain Action, Dreams, Mesmerism, and Ghost Seeing.” A second course began on November 16th with a lecture by Sir Robert Ball on “How came the Great Ice Age?” (_See_ January 12th, 1893.)
January 23rd 1892
Influenza raged with great severity in city and county, and many prominent people were attacked by the complaint. “It is producing many deaths among the aged; the mortality in Norwich last week was 40.1 per thousand.” In the week ending January 30th the mortality in the city had increased to 44 per thousand.
January 30th 1892
Died, at the Shrubbery, St. Stephen’s Road, Norwich, Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett. He was born November 1st, 1818, at Quay Side, St. Martin-at-Palace, Norwich, and was son of Mr. Jacob Tillett, a dyer. His grandfather was a schoolmaster, whose attainments in mathematics, navigation, and gunnery brought him into some prominence in his day. Young Tillett was educated at King Edward VI. Grammar School, and on leaving school served his articles with Mr. John Rising Staff, then a leading solicitor in Norwich. In 1839 he opened an office for himself in Post Office Street, and obtained a large and lucrative connection. Literary rather than legal work best accorded with Mr. Tillett’s natural tastes. In 1845 he founded the “Norfolk News,” and with the conduct of that journal he was thenceforward associated throughout his life, as chairman of the company and as editor, in which position he not only controlled the policy of the paper, but weekly contributed its leading articles. For many years Mr. Tillett was a member of the Town Council, and twice served the office of Mayor, first in 1859–60 and again in 1875–76. He was twice returned to a seat on the Norwich School Board, and on the second occasion was elected Chairman. In 1874 he was appointed a justice of the peace, but he never qualified. Although he was not attached to any particular sect, he identified himself with various religious movements in the city. Mr. Tillett was the most potent political personal force that the century produced in Norwich. He contested the city in 1868 unsuccessfully, Sir Henry Stracey and Sir Wm. Russell being returned. That election was invalidated on petition. In May, 1870, when a new writ was issued for the vacant seat, Mr. Tillett was returned by 4,236 votes against 3,874 polled by Mr. J. W. Huddleston. A petition followed, and Mr. Tillett was unseated. At the dissolution in 1874 the Conservatives brought forward Sir Henry Stracey and Mr. Huddleston, and the Liberal cause was again championed by Mr. Tillett, with Mr. Colman as his colleague. Mr. Colman was returned at the head of the poll with 6,138 votes, and Mr. Huddleston was the other successful candidate, with 5,823 votes. Mr. Tillett polled 5,776 and Sir Henry Stracey 5,290 votes. Early in 1875 Mr. Huddleston was raised to the judicial bench, and at the bye-election Mr. Tillett entered the lists against Colonel Wilkinson. The contest took place on March 5th, and resulted in Mr. Tillett’s return by a majority of 799. Then came the third petition, on which Mr. Tillett was again unseated, and a Royal Commission followed. The writ was suspended until the dissolution in 1880, when the Conservatives were represented by Mr. H. Harben and the Hon. Massey Mainwaring. The seats were carried by Mr. Colman and Mr. Tillett on a poll of 6,549 for the former and 6,512 for the latter, the votes for the Conservative candidates being 5,242 for Mr. Harben and 5,032 for Mr. Mainwaring. The successful candidates were allowed to retain their seats undisturbed; but Mr. Tillett reached the goal of his ambition too late to derive any satisfaction from it, and the five years he spent in Parliament were among the most irksome and worrying of any in his life. At the dissolution in 1885 he announced his intention not to again offer himself for the representation of the city; but in 1886 he was once more induced to stand, and, with Mr. Colman, opposed the return of Mr. Samuel Hoare and Mr. C. S. Read. The result of the poll was as follows:—Colman, 6,295; Hoare, 6,156; Tillett, 6,119; Read, 5,564. With this campaign Mr. Tillett practically closed his electioneering career. Whatever the Conservative party may have thought of his political faults and shortcomings, Mr. Tillett was no Socialist or Revolutionist. He was staunch in his loyalty to the Throne, and would have strongly opposed any attack upon the free monarchial constitution. Although he stood at the 1886 election as a Gladstonian, his convictions were in favour of the maintenance of the Union. For the private character of this eminent citizen it was impossible to entertain but one sentiment, that of the highest esteem and regard, for he was naturally of a kind, considerate, and affectionate disposition.
February 6th 1892
Official notice was received at Norwich of the final settlement of the scheme proposed by the Attorney-General for the administration of the Norwich Town Close Estate Charity. The scheme provided that the charity and its property and endowments should be vested in an official trustee of charity lands for the city of Norwich, and the management, preservation, and letting of the estate and the collecting of the income by a receiver would be exercised by trustees consisting of the trustees for the time being of the municipal charities of the city, known as the General Charities, as _ex-officio_ trustees of the Town Close Estate, and by six representative trustees appointed by the freemen for a term of five years.
February 15th 1892
The Compton Comedy Company commenced, at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, an engagement, during which were produced several favourite comedies of the old English stage.
February 18th 1892
Archdeacon Perowne unveiled, at the church of St. Laurence, Norwich, a bronze memorial in commemoration of the work done by Miss Sarah Ann Glover in the cause of sol-fa music. Miss Glover was the author of the sol-fa notation, from which sprang the tonic sol-fa system.
February 20th 1892
Died, at his residence, Unthank’s Road, Norwich, Mr. Henry Norton, F.G.S., in his 81st year. He was the eldest son of Mr. William Norton, of Old Buckenham, and in his early days was articled to Messrs. Mitchell and Clarke, a well-known firm of solicitors at Wymondham. Much of his time was subsequently spent in roaming over the greater part of Europe, and in about 1860 he settled in Norwich. As a scholar and a man of science Mr. Norton was possessed of a store of information such as few had acquired. Sanskrit and geology were his favourite studies. He was an omnivorous reader and lover of books, and bequeathed his valuable library and collection of manuscripts to the Norfolk and Norwich Library.
February 24th 1892
The course of lectures arranged by the committee of the Norwich Free Library was continued at Blackfriars’ Hall, when Mr. M. P. Squirrell spoke on “The Orkney and Shetland Islands.” Mr. C. Stacy Watson, on March 23rd, lectured on “The Herring.”
March 1st 1892
Died, at Gimingham Rectory, the Ven. Ralph Blakelock, aged 88. He was born at Red Hall, Leeds, and was educated at St. Catherine’s College, Cambridge, of which he became Fellow and tutor. In his Cambridge days he published some mathematical treatises, which added considerably to his reputation as a college tutor. On withdrawing from the University he became rector of Gimingham in 1833, and an active worker on behalf of many diocesan organizations. He paid special regard to the social improvement of the labourers, and was known as “the father of the allotment system.” For many years Mr. Blakelock was Archdeacon of Norfolk.
March 9th 1892
Died, at Rippon Hall, Hevingham, the Rev. Henry Philip Marsham, aged 75. He was a son of Mr. Robert Marsham, of Stratton Hall, and his taste for country life and love of nature had descended to him from his great grandfather, Robert Marsham, the ardent naturalist and frequent correspondent with White, of Selborne. The annual records of the earliest dates, when many common plants were observed to flower, together with similar natural history data, as commenced by the elder naturalist, were continued by the younger.
March 14th 1892
The memorial stones of a permanent building, to be used as the headquarters of the Salvation Army in Norwich, were laid by Mr. George White and other prominent Nonconformists, on a site at the rear of Mortimer’s Hotel, St. Giles’ Street. The building, which, inclusive of the site, cost about £4,000, was opened on October 30th.
March 15th 1892
A scheme for altering the number and bounderies of the wards in Norwich was unanimously adopted by the Town Council. The Privy Council on June 16th were petitioned to approve the scheme, and on July 8th the formal order was received for dividing the city into sixteen wards. Mr. Charles Neve Creswell, the Commissioner appointed to prepare the scheme for determining the boundaries of the wards and for apportioning councillors among them, held a public inquiry at the Guildhall on July 28th, at which evidence was given by representatives of the Town Council and others. The first municipal elections under the provisions of the redistribution scheme took place on November 1st, when members were returned for sixteen wards instead of for eight.
March 16th 1892
The first sale of shire horses, the property of the Prince of Wales, was held at Wolferton by Messrs. Sexton and Grimwade. Forty-nine animals were sold for the total sum of £5,200.
March 21st 1892
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Mathew and a special jury, was tried the action, Bullard and others _v._ Saul. The case was brought by the plaintiffs as trustees of the charities of St. Swithin, Norwich, for an alleged slander uttered by the defendant at an inquiry held before an assistant Charity Commissioner at Norwich on January 15th. By the words that the defendant used on that occasion the plaintiffs said they understood him to mean that they had been guilty of maladministration of the charity funds, and had administered them for base and political purposes, and as vehicles of all sorts of corruption. The defendant denied that the words set out in the statement of claim were a correct report of the words used by him at the inquiry, and he further denied that they had any slanderous meaning. A verdict was given for the plaintiffs—damages £5.
March 25th 1892
In the Court of Arches Lord Penzance decided in favour of the Bishop of Norwich, who had convicted the appellant, the Rev. Mr. O’Malley, of drunkenness, and sentenced him to two years’ suspension. Lord Penzance declined to hear Mr. O’Malley’s appeal until he had given security for the Bishop’s costs, and limited the time during which the appellant should find such security to four months. (_See_ June 1st, 1899.)
March 26th 1892
Died, at Unthank’s Road, Norwich, Mrs. Sarah Fletcher, aged 87. Mrs. Fletcher had given active support to many philanthropic movements, and was one of the founders of the Orphan Home for Girls, originally started in Pottergate Street, and afterwards transferred to Chapel Field.
March 27th 1892
Died, at Unthank’s Road, Norwich, the Rev. Charles Heath Hosken, Baptist minister, in his 81st year. In his early days he was sent to Ireland for missionary work by the Baptist Irish Missionary Society, and subsequently laboured at Belize in the Bay of Honduras; at West Troy in the State of New York, and at Crayford in Kent. “The Rev. C. H. Spurgeon sent his first two students to Mr. Hosken to be trained; thus the deceased was really associated with the foundation of the Pastors’ College.”
March 28th 1892
Sir Harry and Lady Bullard celebrated their silver wedding at Hellesdon House, Norwich, and were the recipients of many presents from friends in county and city, and from the staff of the Anchor Brewery.
March 30th 1892
Died, at Sheringham Hall, Mr. Henry Ramey Upcher, aged 82. He was a son of the Rev. Abbot Upcher, and coming to the estate when only nine years old, he had probably been in possession of his property longer than any landowner in England. When at Harrow he played in the cricket eleven, and on leaving Cambridge University took a leading part in athletic games, and was well-known throughout the country as a clever cricketer, a good horseman, and an excellent shot. Mr. Upcher married, on July 3rd, 1838, Miss Caroline Morris. In politics he was a Liberal of the old school, and a valued supporter of his party.
April 21st 1892
The Norwich Diocesan Conference was opened at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop, and continued on the 22nd.
April 25th 1892
The Norina Grand Opera Company appeared at Norwich Theatre in “La Fille de Madame Angot” and “The Daughter of the Regiment.”
April 26th 1892
Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P., was presented with a piece of plate by the Gladstonian party in Norwich in recognition of his twenty-one years’ Parliamentary services.
May 12th 1892
The Gildencroft Recreation Ground, the site of which, with the buildings thereon, was purchased by the Corporation of Norwich for the sum of £2,700, was formally opened to the public by the Mayor. (_See_ June 6th, 1894.)
May 14th 1892
A new lifeboat, the gift of Mrs. Burch, in memory of her late husband, Mr. John Burch, was launched at Yarmouth. The craft was named by Miss Jane Burden the Abraham Thomas.
May 24th 1892
The name of Dr. Frederic Bateman, senior physician of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, was included in the list of gentlemen who were to receive the honour of knighthood. Dr. Bateman, on July 5th, was presented to the Queen at Windsor Castle.
May 25th 1892
Died, at Cromer Hall, Mr. Benjamin Bond Bond-Cabbell. He had devoted himself largely to the public life of the county, and was a major in the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment. Mr. Bond-Cabbell, who had been nominated for the office of High Sheriff in the ensuing year, was one of the most popular men in Norfolk, and his death was widely lamented.
June 15th 1892
Died, at Norwich, Dr. William Guy, aged 57. In 1871, when the city was visited by a serious outbreak of smallpox, Dr. Guy was brought prominently into public notice. With characteristic courage and zeal he undertook the medical charge of the isolation hospital; and was afterwards appointed to the post of public vaccinator. It was said that for years Norwich was the best vaccinated town in the kingdom.
June 16th 1892
The Didlington herd of red polled cattle, the property of Mr. Tyssen Amherst, M.P., was sold by auction by Mr. John Thornton. Forty-one cows and nine bulls were disposed of, and the total amount realised was 892 guineas—an average for the cows of £47 10s. 7d., and for the bulls of £24 4s. 2d.
June 21st 1892
The Mayor and Mayoress of Norwich (Mr. and Mrs. G. M. Chamberlin) were presented with a “silver cradle” to commemorate the birth on March 11th of their soil, Geoffrey Lefroy.
June 28th 1892
A thunderstorm of extraordinary severity burst over the county, and was said to have been the most alarming that had been experienced for many years. It was remarkable more for its long duration than for any serious results.
June 29th 1892
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at King’s Lynn under the presidency of Mr. Thomas Leigh Hare. The exhibition was continued on the 30th.
July 1st 1892
The nomination took place at East Dereham of candidates for the representation of Mid Norfolk. The Unionist candidate was Mr. Robert Thornhagh Gurdon, and the Gladstonian candidate Mr. Clement Higgins, Q.C., Trebovir Road, South Kensington, S.W. The polling was on the 13th, and the declaration on the 14th: Higgins, 4,069; Gordon 3,599.
July 2nd 1892
The following candidates were nominated for the representation of Norwich:—Mr. James Bedford, 388, Bethnal Green Road, E., tailor (Gladstonian); Mr. Jeremiah James Colman (Gladstonian), and Mr. Samuel Hoare (Conservative). The polling on the 6th resulted as follows:—Hoare, 7,718; Colman, 7,407; Bedford, 6,811.
July 2nd 1892
The nomination of candidates for South Norfolk was held at the Town Hall, Aylsham. Mr. John Cator, of Woodbastwick Hall, was the Unionist, and Mr. Herbert Hardy Cozens-Hardy, the Gladstonian candidate. The polling was on the 16th, and the declaration on the 18th:—Cozens-Hardy, 4,561; Cator, 3,278.
July 2nd 1892
For the representation of Lynn were nominated Mr. Thomas Gibson Bowles, of Newton Tony, Salisbury, hon. lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve (Unionist), and Mr. Thomas Richardson Kemp, Q.C., 5, Queen’s Gate Terrace, London (Gladstonian). The polling on the 4th resulted as follows:—Bowles, 1,319; Kemp, 1,308.
July 5th 1892
The nominations for East Norfolk were made at the Shirehall, Norwich. Sir Edward Birkbeck, Bart., was nominated by the Unionists, and Mr. Robert John Price, barrister-at-law, 104, Sloane Street, S.W., by the Gladstonians. The polling took place on the 12th, and the poll was declared on the 13th as follows:—Price, 4,743; Birkbeck, 4,303.
July 5th 1892
The nomination of candidates for South Norfolk was held at the Shirehall, Norwich. Mr. Francis Taylor, of Diss, was the Liberal-Unionist, and Mr. Albert George Kitching, Chase Court, Enfield, the Gladstonian nominee. The polling took place on the 11th, and the declaration on the 12th: Taylor 4,288; Kitching, 3,535.
July 5th 1892
Polling took place at Yarmouth. The candidates were Mr. J. M. Moorsom, Q.C., London (Gladstonian), and Sir Henry Tyler (Conservative). The contest resulted as follows:—Moorsom, 2,972; Tyler, 2,704.
July 7th 1892
Mr. Justice Romer delivered judgment in the action, Micklethwaite _v._ Vincent, which raised an important question as to the rights of the public over the Norfolk broads. The plaintiff asked for an injunction to restrain the defendant from shooting or fishing on that part of the Hickling Broad which was in the parish of Hickling, and from boating over it except in a certain channel. The defendant contended that the Broad was open to the public for all purposes, and that he as one of the public was entitled to shoot and fish over it. The judge held that the plaintiff had established his right to the part of the Broad in question. Admittedly there was a public way over the Broad, but this was restricted to the channel. The plaintiff asked for an injunction to restrain the defendant from going on the Broad at all except in this channel. He was satisfied on the evidence that this right of way was not so restricted, and that part of plaintiff’s claim failed and must be dismissed. It was not necessary for his lordship to decide how far the plaintiff’s right extended beyond the channel. The plaintiff must get from the defendant the bare costs of the action, except so far as those costs had been increased by the claim to restrict the right of way to the channel, which had failed. So far as the defendant’s costs had been increased by the last mentioned claim he would get them from the plaintiff with the set-off.
July 8th 1892
Mr. P. P. Marshall, City Engineer, of Norwich, resigned his office, in which he was succeeded by Mr. Buchan.
July 14th 1892
Polling took place in North-West Norfolk. The candidates were Mr. Joseph Arch, President of the National Agricultural Labourers’ Union, of Barford, Warwickshire (Gladstonian), and Lord Henry Bentinck, of Congham Hall, and 58, Sloane Street, S.W. (Unionist). Result: Arch, 4,911; Bentinck, 3,822.
July 15th 1892
The South-West Norfolk election took place. The candidates were Mr. Thos. Leigh Hare, Stow Bardolph (Unionist), and Mr. Henry Lee Warner, the Paddocks, Swaffham, (Gladstonian). The poll was declared at Swaffham on the 16th as follows:—Hare, 4,077; Lee Warner, 3,739.
July 16th 1892
“The ‘London Gazette’ announces that the Victoria Cross is conferred upon Lieutenant J. Manners Smith for his conspicuous bravery when leading the storming party at the attack and capture of a strong position occupied by the enemy near Nilt in the Hunza-Nagur country on December 20th, 1891. Lieutenant Smith, who was serving in the Indian Staff Corps, is a Norfolk man, and was educated at the Norwich Grammar School.”
July 19th 1892
The Norwich Town Council decided to create and issue £3 per cent. redeemable stock, and on October 11th a series of formal resolutions in completion of the scheme was adopted.
July 21st 1892
The St. George’s Vase was won at the Bisley meeting by Private Gray, 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment, with the highest possible score of 35 points.
July 22nd 1892
In the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, before Mr. Justice North, the action, Boswell _v._ Coaks, came on for hearing. It was brought for the purpose of re-opening the question which, after protracted litigation, had been settled in the House of Lords. The present action was founded on allegations of fraud on the part of one of the successful litigants in the conduct of the litigation. The judge did not call for a reply. He said he had come to the conclusion that each allegation of fraud afforded no probable cause for thinking that the plaintiff could possibly succeed at the trial. After this matter had been thrashed out at such an enormous expenditure of time and money he thought there would be a grievous miscarriage of justice if he did not, so far as he could, put a closure to steps to open up a matter upon suggestions so unfounded and baseless as he considered the plaintiff’s pleadings to make. He did not mean to suggest that plaintiff’s advisers had instituted the action for the purpose of vexation, but in his opinion nothing could be more vexatious than that an action should be proceeded with in which any chance of success was absolutely hopeless. Notice of appeal was given by the plaintiff on August 17th. In the Court of Appeal on November 2nd the case was re-opened, and after a hearing which lasted several hours their lordships reserved judgment. Mr. Justice A. L. Smith read the judgment of the Court on November 5th, which was in favour of the respondent, with costs. Judgment was confirmed in the Court of Appeal on February 9th, 1893, by Lords Justices Lopes and Kay. (_See_ December 14th, 1893.)
July 23rd 1892
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Volunteer Battalions Norfolk Regiment went into camp at Yarmouth.
July 31st 1892
The greater portion of the tower of Hindolveston church collapsed, carrying with it a large part of the nave, and forcing one of the chancel windows some distance into the churchyard. The tower had already been reported to be unsafe, and a fund had been opened for its restoration.
August 2nd 1892
The Cricket Week theatricals at Norwich Theatre included performances of “Old Cronies,” “In Honour Bound,” and “Done on Both Sides.” This was the last occasion upon which performances were given by Sir Kenneth Kemp’s company. The Cricket Week was continued in subsequent years in the first week of August.
August 3rd 1892
Mr. Arthur Wilson Fox, one of the assistant Commissioners appointed by the Royal Commission on Labour, held an inquiry at the Assembly Rooms, Swaffham, with the view of ascertaining the position and earnings of agricultural labourers. Similar inquiries were held in other parts of the county.
August 7th 1892
Died, at Eastbourne, the Rev. George Charles Hoste, in his 79th year. He was born in Norwich, and was the eldest son of Colonel Sir George Hoste, of the Royal Engineers. He graduated at Caius College, Cambridge, in 1835, and in 1856 was presented by Bishop Hinds to the important parish of Heigham. In 1847 he married Anne, daughter of Mr. John Brenchley, of Wombwell Hall, near Gravesend. Mr. Hoste made great efforts to provide increased church accommodation in Heigham, and in 1861 secured sufficient money to build the church dedicated to the Holy Trinity. On retiring from Heigham he was given the living of Boyton, Suffolk.
August 20th 1892
The Queen, it was announced, had conferred the dignity of a peerage upon Mr. William Amhurst Tyssen-Amherst, of Didlington Hall. The “London Gazette” of September 23rd announced that the new peer had adopted the title of Baron Amherst of Hackney.
August 30th 1892
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council it was decided to rescind a former resolution of the Council passed with the view of preventing the erection of the Roman Catholic church presbytery beyond the building line at Unthank’s Road, and permission was granted for carrying out the original plans. (_See_ August 29th, 1894.)
September 1st 1892
The students entered into occupation of the Norwich and Ely Training College for female teachers in elementary schools. The cost of the college was about £10,000, and of the practising schools £2,122. The buildings were designed by Messrs. Oliver and Leeson, of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and erected by Messrs. J. Youngs and Son. The college was formally opened on October 12th by the Bishops of Norwich and Ely.
September 1st 1892
Died the Rev. John Marjoribanks Nisbet, Canon of Norwich Cathedral, and rector of St. Giles-in-the-Fields, London. He was 67 years of age, and was appointed to his canonry in 1867. In 1885 Canon Nisbet was elected proctor in Convocation for the Norwich Chapter.
September 5th 1892
Thorpe Market church was re-opened after extensive restoration. The building was erected in 1796 by the second Lord Suffield on the site formerly occupied by the original church, which had fallen into decay, and was in consequence demolished.
September 5th 1892
A fire of a most disastrous character occurred at Norwich in the north-east angle of the large block of buildings lying between Bank Street and Queen Street. The outbreak was confined to a three-storey building occupied by Mr. R. A. Cooper, wholesale confectioner, of Queen Street. Police-constable Hook was struck by falling masonry, and sustained a fractured spine, from which he died in Hospital on the 10th.
September 12th 1892
Mr. C. E. Cooke, of Litcham, sold his famous eight-years-old hackney stallion. Cadet 1,251, for £3,000 to Mr. Alexander J. Cassatt, president of the American Hackney Horse Society.
September 14th 1892
Mr. Ben Greet’s company of pastoral players performed the garden scenes in “Twelfth Night” in the grounds of Mr. A. R. Chamberlin, the Grove, Ipswich Road, Norwich, in aid of the funds of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
September 17th 1892
Died, at Weston House, Colonel Sir Hambleton Custance, K.C.B., aged 82. He was a son of Mr. Hambleton Thomas Custance, of Weston, by Mary, only child of Miles Bower, and was born at Norwich. He married, in 1840, Frances, daughter of Sir Edmund Bacon, premier baronet of England, and widow of the Rev. Henry Walpole Nevill. For more than fifty years he held a commission in the old First or West Norfolk Militia, from the command of which he retired in 1881 with the rank of honorary colonel, when he received the dignity of K.C.B. From 1863 to 1878 he was vice-chairman of the General Committee of the Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival, a justice of the peace, and Deputy Lieutenant for Norfolk, and in 1859 served the office of High Sheriff. Lady Custance died on October 4th.
September 22nd 1892
Died, Mr. Thomas R. Tallack, formerly secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. He had done useful archæological work, and among the most important of his undertakings was the putting of the city archives into good order and making them easy of access for reference. Mr. Tallack had also made a valuable transcript for the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society of the Tanner MS.
October 3rd 1892
The annual provincial meeting of the Incorporated Law Society commenced at Norwich. The Mayor and Mrs. G. M. Chamberlin held a reception at St. Andrew’s Hall; a banquet was given on the 4th; and the Sheriff and Mrs. Reeve invited the members to a ball on the 5th. Mr. Richard Pennington presided at the meetings of the society.
October 4th 1892
Died, at Lynn, aged 61, Mr. William Thompson, who was elected Mayor of the borough in 1877, and again served the office from April to November, 1880, on the sudden death of Mr. Seppings.
October 12th 1892
Madame Adelina Patti, supported by Mdlle. Donilly, Mdlle. Alice Gomez, Mr. Charles Chilley, Signor Novara, Miss Fanny Davies, Mdlle. Levallois, and M. Sieveking, appeared at a grand concert given at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
October 12th 1892
Died, at Bramerton Lodge, Major John Penrice, aged 73. He was a justice of the peace for Norfolk, and took an active part in the administration of county business. Major Penrice was chairman of the Yarmouth Port and Haven Commission.
October 16th 1892
Died, at Saxlingham Rectory, the Rev. George King, M.A., honorary canon of Norwich Cathedral, in his 90th year. Canon King was one of the oldest clergymen in the Church of England.
October 17th 1892
A complimentary dinner, attended by 300 guests, was given at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. G. M. Chamberlin), to Mr. Henry Flowers in commemoration of his election to the Grand Mastership of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows.
October 20th 1892
Mr. D. L. Moody, the “American Evangelist,” opened a three days’ mission at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
October 21st 1892
A heavy fall of snow occurred in Norfolk, and was followed by severe frost. The weather for some time previously had been unprecedently wet, and the heavy rainfall had swollen the rivers and flooded the marshes and low-lying lands. During the first half of the month more than 4.5 inches of rain were registered at Sprowston. It was the wettest October that had been experienced for years past.
October 22nd 1892
Died, at 45, St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, Mr. Thomas William Crosse, F.R.C.S., in his 67th year. He was a son of the distinguished John Green Crosse, and was educated at Mr. Perowne’s school, Norwich, and at King’s College School, London. After a course of study at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, and at the Dublin, Leeds, and Norwich Hospitals, Mr. Crosse became, in 1847, M.R.C.S. and L.S.A., and in 1860, after examination, was admitted a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. In Norwich he gained the reputation of being a bold, skilful, and successful surgeon. He was appointed assistant-surgeon to the Hospital in 1857, became full surgeon on October 26th, 1872, and retired from the staff in 1888. In April, 1892, having previously filled the office of vice-chairman, he was made chairman of the Board of Management. For many years Mr. Crosse discharged with conspicuous ability the honorary duties of curator of the pathological museum at the Hospital. He was a member of the Council of the British Medical Association, and among his contributions to surgical literature were articles on “Urinary Calculus” in Heath’s “System of Surgery.” Mr. Crosse was a governor of the Grammar School and of the Middle School, and an _ex-officio_ member of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum. For some years he represented the Sixth Ward in the Conservative interest, and was appointed on January 21st, 1873, Medical Officer of Health for the city, and continued to discharge his duties until within a short time of his death. Mr. Crosse married, in 1857, a daughter of Mr. Adam Taylor.
October 22nd 1892
Died, at his residence, Beechamwell Hall, Mr. Joshua Fielden, aged 44. He was a son of Mr. John Fielden, of Green Bank, Caton, near Lancaster, and was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Mr. Fielden was a justice of the peace and a Deputy Lieutenant for Norfolk, and served the office of High Sheriff in 1884.
October 26th 1892
A “World’s Fair,” promoted in aid of the funds for paying off the debt on the vicarage house and the completion of the restoration of the tower of St. Peter Mancroft church, was opened at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, by the Mayor. The bazaar, which closed on the 28th, produced receipts to the amount of £575.
REMARKS.—Decrease 27¼ per cent. The tithe was paid by the landlord in 1878 and 1891, and three-fourths by the tenants in 1842. £ s. d. £ s. d. The amount expended by the late 536,992 0 0 Earl of Leicester in buildings and repairs from 1776 to Michaelmas, 1841, was The amount expended by the 367,981 0 0 present Earl of Leicester in buildings and repairs, gates and fences, and under-draining, from Michaelmas, 1841, to Michaelmas, 1891, was For purchase of estates 190,175 0 0 558,156 0 0 1,095,148 0 0
November 2nd 1892
The inmates of Norwich Workhouse were entertained by Mr. Hoare, M.P., and Mrs. Hoare in celebration of the marriage of their daughter. Miss Elma Hoare, with the Rev. H. L. Paget, on October 27th.
November 9th 1892
Mr. Alexander Robert Chamberlin was elected Mayor, and Mr. Russell J. Colman appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 16th 1892
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council the Liberal members elected a committee to select the names of persons to be submitted to the Lord Chancellor for appointment as magistrates. The Conservative members declined to take part in the proceedings on the ground that the movement was purely political. On December 20th the special committee reported that their proceedings had been abortive.
November 26th 1892
Mr. C. S. Read made an important speech at the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture in opening a discussion upon the question of agricultural depression. It was decided to support the proposed National Agricultural Conference to be held in London. At an adjourned meeting of the Chamber on the 10th the proceedings of the Conference were discussed, and a resolution adopted in favour of the formation of an Agricultural Union by widening and popularising the Central Chamber of Agriculture and kindred societies.
November 29th 1892
The Earl of Leicester, in a letter to the “Daily Telegraph,” gave a remarkable account of the annual rents on the Holkham Estate when he entered into possession in 1842, in 1878, when they were at their highest, and in 1891, when the last payment was made. Summarised the statement was as follows:— _Year ending at Michaelmas_, _1842_. £ s. d. Annual rents 40,419 1 5¼ Expenditure 7,608 4 5½ Net income 32,810 16 11¾ _Year ending at Michaelmas_, _1878_. (Highest rental.) £ s. d. Annual rents 60,218 1 6½ Expenditure 20,653 12 3 Net income 39,564 9 3½ _Year ending at Michaelmas_, _1891_. £ s. d. Annual rents 43,790 15 7¾ Expenditure 20,323 2 11½ Net income 23,467 12 8¼
December 1st 1892
The first lecture of a series on Ecclesiastical History was delivered in the nave of Norwich Cathedral by Archdeacon Farrar on “Ignatius and Polycarp.” (_See_ January 5th, 1893.)
December 8th 1892
Died suddenly, at Bristol, Mr. William James Metcalfe, Q.C., Recorder of Norwich, and judge of the Bristol County Court. He was a son of the Rev. W. Metcalfe, of Foulmire, Cambridgeshire, and was born in 1818. Educated at St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he took his M.A. degree, he was called to the Bar at the Inner Temple in 1845, and became Queen’s Counsel in 1873. Mr. Metcalfe was Recorder of Ipswich from 1866 to 1874, and succeeded Mr. P. O’Malley, Q.C., in the Recordership of Norwich. In 1879 he was appointed to his County Court judgeship. He was succeeded as Recorder of Norwich by Mr. Thomas Richardson Kemp, Q.C.
December 12th 1892
Captain Lugard addressed two influential meetings at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, upon the situation in Uganda. A resolution expressive of satisfaction with the action of the Government was adopted.
December 18th 1892
Died, at Portland Place, Bath, Mr. James Hunt Holley, aged 88. He was a son of Mr. James Hunt Holley, of Blickling, and was educated under Valpy at Norwich School. Possessed of considerable landed property, he took great interest in agriculture, and in 1858 purchased the estate of Oaklands, Okehampton, in Devonshire, on the borders of Dartmoor, where, remote from railways, agriculture had been neglected. The improvements which he carried out in the district gave great impetus to trade. He was an active magistrate, and during the earlier part of his life a staunch Free-trader and a Whig of the old school; but being unable to follow the extreme views of his party he ultimately withdrew from politics. Mr. Holley married a daughter of Admiral Windham, of Felbrigg Hall.
December 19th 1892
The Prince of Wales presided at a dinner given at the Hotel Metropole, London, to Lord Suffield, on his retirement from the command of the Prince of Wales’s Own Norfolk Artillery.
December 26th 1892
The Compton Comedy Company commenced a twelve nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, and Ginnett’s Circus began its winter season at the Agricultural Hall.