January 7th 1890
Died, at St. John’s House, Norwich, Mr. Samuel Grimmer, in his 76th year. Mr. Grimmer for many years sat in the Town Council as a representative of the Second Ward, and was chairman of the Sewerage and Irrigation Committee. He was Mayor in 1880–81, and entertained the Prince and Princess of Wales and other distinguished visitors on the occasion of the opening of the Fisheries Exhibition.
January 8th 1890
Maria Brown, aged 62, wife of a labourer, was murdered at Pulham St. Mary Magdalene, by Elijah Snelling, her son-in-law. Snelling was tried at the Norfolk Assizes on March 5th before Mr. Justice Denman, found guilty, and sentenced to death. The sentence was afterwards commuted to penal servitude for life.
January 10th 1890
A white-tailed eagle of nine pounds weight was shot near Wretham decoy.
January 10th 1890
Died, at Brundall, Mr. George Lovick Coleman, in his 78th year. He was for more than half a century proprietor of a well-known drapery establishment in St. Giles’ Street, Norwich. In 1843 Mr. Coleman was appointed Sheriff, and four years subsequently was elected Mayor, and at the close of his term of office was presented by the citizens with a handsome epergne in recognition of his services to the city. He took great interest in the Volunteer movement, served originally in the Rifle Corps, afterwards in the Norwich Light Horse, and finally in the Artillery, of which he ultimately became captain commandant. In his early days Mr. Coleman professed Liberal principles, but became Conservative.
January 11th 1890
Mr. C. S. Read gave an address at the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, in which he adversely criticised the working of the Agricultural Holdings Act, and moved and carried a resolution affirming that the failure of the Act demanded the attention of the President of the Board of Agriculture. Mr. Read addressed the Farmers’ Club, in London, on the same subject, on March 31st, when a similar resolution was adopted.
January 14th 1890
Mrs. Punt, of East Wretham, the oldest pauper upon the relief books of the Thetford Union, attained her 102nd year.
January 18th 1890
Many persons in Norwich were reported to be suffering from influenza. Several men at the Cavalry and the Britannia Barracks were attacked by the complaint, which, however, was not of an aggravated character.
January 21st 1890
The Town Council of Norwich voted the honorary freedom of the city to Mr. William Cadge “in recognition of the services he has rendered to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, and especially in the noble gift recently made to its funds.” The certificate of freedom was formally presented in a silver casket to Mr. Cadge at the Guildhall on March 21st.
February 7th 1890
The Mayor of Norwich (Mr. W. H. Dakin) presided at a common hall at which a resolution was passed calling upon the Charity Commissioners to remove from their scheme certain obnoxious clauses affecting the administration of the local charities. On March 28th the Mayor received from the Charity Commissioners a letter explaining that the restrictions in the scheme against the benefits of the charities being extended to persons who were, or who had recently been in receipt of Poor-law relief, were in the view of the Commissioners calculated to encourage habits of thrift and to give effect to the well-known law against persons in receipt of Poor-law relief participating in such charities. In the circumstances the Commissioners did not consider that they would be justified in entertaining the application to amend the scheme with the view of allowing those in receipt of Poor-law relief to benefit by the funds.
February 15th 1890
The Rev. O. W. Tancock, it was announced, had resigned the headmastership of King Edward VI. School, Norwich, on accepting the living of Little Waltham, near Chelmsford. He was succeeded by the Rev. E. F. Gilbard.
February 18th 1890
Mr. Melton Prior, special artist on the staff of the “Illustrated London News,” lectured at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, on “What I saw in Burmah.”
February 21st 1890
Two large granaries at North Walsham, belonging to Messrs. Cubitt and Walker, were destroyed by fire. The damage amounted to £4,000.
February 22nd 1890
Died, at the residence of her sister, at Weybridge, Surrey, Lady Sophia Jane Beevor, in her 66th year. She was the daughter of the Rev. Clement Chevallier, of Bedingham, Suffolk, and was twice married. Her first husband was Mr. Isaac Jermy Jermy, one of the victims of the terrible murders committed by James Blomfield Rush at Stanfield Hall on November 28th, 1848. In that outrage Mrs. Jermy Jermy narrowly escaped with her life; she was hit in the arm by a bullet, and the limb was afterwards amputated. In 1850 she married Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart., and became greatly esteemed at Hingham, where she resided for many years.
February 24th 1890
A military tournament given by the 20th Hussars in aid of the city charities, commenced at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, and was continued until March 1st.
February 25th 1890
The Norwich Town Council addressed a memorial to the Postmaster-General praying for the cessation of the Sunday delivery of letters. The Post Office authorities declined to accede to the request.
February 25th 1890
The City Committee recommended the Norwich Town Council to sanction the opening of St. Andrew’s Hall on Sunday evenings for two months for the purpose of giving recitals of sacred music therein by and under the direction of the committee. A memorial, signed by the clergy and Nonconformist ministers, was presented, protesting against the proposal, and requesting the Corporation to receive a deputation upon the subject. The meeting declined to accede to the latter request, and the recommendation of the committee was deferred. Meanwhile sermons were preached in churches and chapels for and against the proposal, and public meetings were held at which remarkable opinions were expressed. At the adjourned meeting of the Council, held on March 4th, the committee’s recommendation was negatived by 30 votes against 14.
March 1st 1890
Severe wintry weather was experienced in Norfolk; snow fell heavily on the 2nd, accompanied by a keen north-east wind and frost of great intensity.
March 1st 1890
The Rev. Ambrose Johnson, rector of Toftrees, arrived at Norwich for the purpose of consulting a firm of solicitors about bankruptcy proceedings. After transacting his business he was seen walking in Prince of Wales Road in the direction of Thorpe railway station; then all trace was lost of him. On the 12th the unfortunate gentleman was discovered in a shrubbery at Bramerton Hall, in a weak and emaciated condition. He was at once removed to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, and upon recovering somewhat, stated that he took shelter in the shrubbery during a heavy snowstorm on the 1st or 2nd, and had remained there up to the time of his discovery. His feet were severely frostbitten and he was in a most feeble state of mind and body, the result of starvation and exposure. One foot dropped off upon his admission to the Hospital, and it was found necessary to amputate the other. Mr. Johnson lingered until May 2nd, when death put an end to his sufferings.
March 5th 1890
The course of “Science Lectures for the People,” arranged by the Corporation of Norwich, was continued at St. Andrew’s Hall. The lecturer was Mr. Louis Fagan, of the Prints and Drawings Department, British Museum, and the subject, “Egyptian, Assyrian, and Babylonian Antiquities.” The concluding lecture was given on the 26th by Mr. Henry Seebohm on “Adventures in Siberia.” It was descriptive of the lecturer’s travels with Captain Wiggins, whom he described as “a Norwich man whose father drove one of the coaches which ran between Norwich and London in those dark days before railways were introduced. Captain Wiggins as a young man did not think that driving a coach was sufficiently ambitious for him, and he therefore made up his mind to drive a ship.” Another course was commenced on November 13th, when Sir Robert Ball lectured on “An Astronomer’s Thoughts about Krakatoa.” (_See_ January 6th, 1891.)
March 7th 1890
The Norwich School Board agreed by a majority to petition Parliament to enact that public elementary schools be thrown open free of all charge, and that they be placed under “popular control.”
March 12th 1890
Died, at Old Post Office Street, Norwich, Mr. John Goldsmith Atkinson. A son of Mr. Funnell Goldsmith Atkinson, he was born July 14th, 1814, and was admitted a solicitor in the Easter Term of 1836. He represented the Second Ward as a Conservative from 1872 to 1881, and had served for twenty-nine years in the Norwich Artillery Volunteers, of which he was honorary quartermaster.
March 12th 1890
Died, at Oby Rectory, the Rev. Wm. Cufaude Davie, M.A. He was born at Yarmouth on November 13th, 1822, and educated at the Grammar School in that town and at St. John’s College, Cambridge. After fulfilling for two years the duties of assistant mathematical master at Eton, he was in 1846 appointed headmaster of Yarmouth Grammar School. In 1852 he became curate-in-charge of Intwood and Keswick, and from 1858 to 1875 was principal of the Norwich Diocesan Training College. Mr. Davie was closely identified with educational work in the diocese, and was a candidate for the headmastership of Norwich Grammar School in opposition to the Rev. Dr. Jessopp.
March 23rd 1890
Father Ignatius held a mission service at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, and on the 24th preached to a crowded congregation at the church of St. John de Sepulchre.
March 26th 1890
Died, at Rokeles, Watton, Mr. Henry Woods, agent for the Merton estate. He was a well-known authority upon the breeding and management of sheep.
April 2nd 1890
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, for the purpose of furthering the efforts made by Mr. T. W. Richardson and Mr. W. S. Warlters for the formation in the city of a bearer company of the Volunteer Medical Staff Corps. A few weeks afterwards Mr. Richardson was gazetted surgeon, Mr. Warlters acting surgeon, and Mr. Frederic Mills quartermaster.
April 10th 1890
The Norwich Diocesan Conference met at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop. The session was concluded on the 11th.
April 20th 1890
Died, at Northrepps Hall, Mr. John Henry Gurney, in his 71st year. The only son of Joseph John Gurney, of Earlham Hall, so prominently associated with Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton in his efforts to abolish slavery in the West Indies, Mr. Gurney married Mary Jary, daughter of Richard Hanbury Gurney, of Thickthorn. Of the marriage there were two sons, Mr. J. H. Gurney and Mr. Richard J. H. Gurney. In 1854 he entered Parliament as member for King’s Lynn, and sat for that borough until his resignation in 1865. As a naturalist Mr. Gurney was a recognised authority both in Europe and America, more especially on raptorial birds, and the magnificent collection in the Norfolk and Norwich (now the Castle) Museum owes its existence almost entirely to his energy and liberality. He was for many years a member of the East Anglian banking firm of Gurneys and Birkbecks, a justice of the peace for Norfolk, senior member of the Norwich Bench, and a magistrate for Lynn.
April 23rd 1890
Bellringers from all parts of the diocese assembled at Aylsham to ring opening peals on the church bells, which had been re-hung at the cost of £301.
April 26th 1890
Died, at Cromer, where he was staying for the benefit of his health, Mr. Henry Blake Miller, Town Clerk of Norwich, aged 65. He was a son of Mr. Henry Miller, solicitor, of the Town Close, and had been officially connected with the Corporation since 1853. For upwards of twenty years Mr. Miller was clerk to the Board of Health, and on the death of Mr. W. L. Mendham, in July, 1876, when the two offices were amalgamated, he was appointed Town Clerk and clerk to the Sanitary Authority. Legal work of great importance had devolved upon Mr. Miller. He was entrusted with the drafting of the Norwich Act, 1867, relating to the sewerage and drainage of the city, and after his appointment as Town Clerk he prepared the way for the passing of the Norwich Improvement Act. He acted for the Corporation in the Mousehold Heath litigation, and in the dispute with the freemen as to the Town Close Estate; he had also much to do with the London and Castle Street improvements, the Chapel Field improvement, and the framing of the Norwich Corporation Act, 1889. A Liberal and Nonconformist, Mr. Miller was senior deacon of Princes Street Congregational church, and for twenty years treasurer to the Norfolk Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society. He was also some time president of the Norwich Solicitors’ Amicable Society.
April 30th 1890
The stables and coach-houses at Merton Hall, a range of buildings sixty yards in length, were destroyed by fire. The horses, including two valuable stallions and twelve carriage horses, were rescued uninjured.
May 3rd 1890
A disorderly scene occurred at a fire at the furnishing shop of Mr. H. Cole, St. Giles’s Gates, Norwich. The Chief Constable (Mr. Hitchman) was hooted by the mob, who also impeded the work of the fire brigade. The contents of the shop were destroyed.
May 5th 1890
A remarkable charge was investigated at Grimston Petty Sessions. Mr. Algernon Charles Fountaine, of Narford Hall, was summoned for obstructing a railway engine “by placing himself in the four-foot-way of the Lynn and Dereham branch of the Great Eastern Railway, and making signals thereon, on March 18th, at East Winch.” The defendant wished to travel to Narborough by a fast train which was not advertised to stop at East Winch, and notwithstanding the warning of the station master, he placed himself in the four-foot-way, and as the train approached made the customary signal for it to stop. The engine-driver obeyed the signal and brought the train to a standstill, whereupon Mr. Fountaine entered one of the carriages and travelled to Narborough. Proceedings were taken against him under Section 36 of 24 and 25 Vic., chapter 95, and the magistrates committed defendant for trial. On July 9th, at the adjourned Norfolk Quarter Sessions, at Swaffham, the defendant pleaded guilty, and was sentenced by Lord Walsingham to pay a fine of £25 and to enter into his recognisances of £100 to be of good behaviour and to keep the peace for six months.
May 10th 1890
A fire occurred at Messrs. Boulton and Paul’s timber yard at Norwich, and resulted in damage to the amount of between £4,000 and £5,000.
May 13th 1890
Mr. George Buttler Kennett, clerk to the justices, was appointed Town Clerk of Norwich, in place of Mr. H. B. Miller, at the salary of £1,200 per annum.
May 15th 1890
Died, at his residence, Pine Banks, Thorpe, Mr. John Oddin Howard Taylor. The son of Mr. John Oddin Taylor, he was born March 2nd, 1837, and received his education under the tuition of his uncle, the celebrated Dr. Brewer, at Mile End School, Norwich, and was afterwards placed with the Rev. Francis Valpy, rector of Garvestone. Having adopted the legal profession, he became a partner with his father in the firm of Taylor and Son. In addition to carrying on a large and responsible private practice, they acted as local solicitors to the Great Eastern Railway Company. As secretary to the undertaking for the improvement of the Cattle Market and the construction of Prince of Wales Road, Mr. Taylor discharged the duties relating to the legal and Parliamentary business with great efficiency. In October, 1862, he was appointed secretary to the Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival. In collaboration with Bishop Fraser he was instrumental in bringing about a change of the law with reference to the system of employing women, and children of tender years, in hard agricultural labour. In later years Mr. Taylor devoted himself to the task of developing the fisheries of East Anglia, and was the principal author, in conjunction with Mr. Field, of the Act for the preservation of the inland waters of Norfolk and Suffolk. His literary ability was of a very high order. He was a great chess player, and as a writer on that game acquired world-wide fame by his “Chess Brilliants” and “Chess Skirmishes.”
May 16th 1890
Mr. Gladstone visited Norwich. The right hon. gentleman, accompanied by Mrs. Gladstone, arrived by special train at Thorpe station, where he was received by Mr. Colman, M.P., and Mrs. Colman, and by the representatives of Liberal associations in the city. On his way to Carrow Abbey, the residence of the senior member for Norwich, Mr. Gladstone was warmly welcomed by the citizens. In the evening a great meeting was held at the Agricultural Hall, under the presidency of Mr. Henry Birkbeck, at which Mr. Gladstone was presented with an illuminated address by the Liberal and Radical associations and trades unions in Norwich and Norfolk. After addressing the vast assemblage Mr. Gladstone proceeded to Stoke Holy Cross as the guest of Mr. Birkbeck. Returning to the city on the 17th, the ex-Premier visited the Castle and the Cathedral, and in the afternoon left for Lowestoft, _en route_ to Corton, where he remained as the guest of Mr. Colman until the 20th.
May 21st 1890
Mr. Sims Reeves made his farewell appearance at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
May 28th 1890
Died, at Norwich, Mr. John Gunn, M.A., F.G.S., many years rector of Irstead with Barton Turf, aged 89. “It was with painful surprise that the public received a few years ago the announcement of Mr. Gunn’s retirement from the Church on the ground of conscientious scruples concerning certain Biblical statements which he conceived to be irreconcilable with the teachings of Natural Science, and of his desire no longer to be addressed by his clerical title. He did not dissociate himself from the observances of religion, for he was a constant attendant at the Cathedral services.” Mr. Gunn, in 1864, was one of the founders of the Norwich Geological Society, and its first president. “He has left behind him in his great collection of fossils a monument, _ære perennius_. His association with the investigation of the Mammalian remains of the Cromer beds is recorded in the classics of English geology, and will be handed down to posterity long after the fossils in our Museum have crumbled into dust.”
June 2nd 1890
Major F. A. Cubitt was presented by past and present officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment with a silver candelabrum upon retiring from the adjutancy of the battalion, after nearly fifteen years’ service.
June 6th 1890
Mr. W. R. Cooper, solicitor, was elected Clerk to the Norwich magistrates in succession to Mr. G. B. Kennett, resigned.
June 11th 1890
Died, at Unthank’s Road, Norwich, Mr. James Calthrop Barnham, aged 82. He was descended from an old Norwich family, and one of his ancestors, James Barnham, was a Sheriff of the city in 1738. Mr. Barnham was a governor of Norwich Grammar School, and one of the original members of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society.
June 12th 1890
Died, at Newmarket Terrace, Norwich, Mr. Samuel Daynes. Born in December, 1815, he was a member of the Town Council, and a persistent advocate of the adoption of the wood pavement scheme. A Guardian of the Poor, he was thoroughly versed in the details of Poor-law administration, and as a member of the School Board he displayed great earnestness as a public economist. Mr. Daynes was prominently associated with the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows, and in 1851–52 served the office of “Grand Master” of that body.
June 12th 1890
The Rev. William Pelham Burn, curate of St. Mary Abbot, Kensington, was elected vicar of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, in succession to the Rev. F. Baggallay, who had accepted the living of Holy Trinity, Weymouth.
June 13th 1890
At a meeting of the Yare Preservation Society, it was resolved, “That the society be called the Yare and Bure Preservation Society, whose objects shall be the preservation of the rivers Yare and Bure, and their tributaries, from illegal fishing.”
June 14th 1890
Died, at Park Lane, Norwich, Mrs. Phillips, widow of Mr. Frederick Lawrence Phillips, aged 77. Mrs. Phillips was well known to playgoers of a past generation as the beautiful and accomplished Miss Ellen Daly, a favourite actress in London and provincial theatres.
June 14th 1890
An outbreak of rabies occurred in Norfolk. A mad dog ran through the southern portion of the county, and bit several persons; it was ultimately shot at New Buckenham. On June 30th the Norwich Town Council adopted the muzzling order, and similar regulations were introduced by the Norfolk County Council. A fund was raised for the purpose of sending to Paris for treatment by Pasteur the eight persons who had been bitten by the dog. The muzzling regulations in Norwich were withdrawn in the last week in October.
June 19th 1890
The annual meeting of the East Anglian, Cambridge, and Huntingdonshire branches of the British Medical Association was held in Norwich under the presidency of Dr. Beverley, who, with Mrs. Beverley, received on the 20th a large number of distinguished visitors at a garden party given by them at Brundall.
June 23rd 1890
Two squadrons of the 20th Hussars marched from Norwich for Aldershot. The headquarters of the regiment left on the 24th under the command of Colonel Graves.
June 27th 1890
Died, at his residence, Grove House, Chapel Field, Norwich, Mr. Robert Leeds, aged 79. Mr. Leeds devoted much time to several important undertakings connected with the agricultural interest. He became a member of the Royal Agricultural Society in 1852, and in 1869 was elected to the Council; in 1862 he assisted in the formation of the company which built the Agricultural Hall, Islington; and it was greatly owing to his influence that the Smithfield Club removed their annual show from Baker Street to the new hall. Mr. Leeds gave his practical aid to the establishment of the Salisbury Hotel Company, and to founding the Farmers’ Club; he was a member of the Norfolk Agricultural Association, and an energetic supporter of the Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution.
June 28th 1890
The portrait of Mr. Cadge, painted by Professor Herkomer, was unveiled at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Mr. Cadge announced that Mr. B. E. Fletcher, of Marlingford, had munificently offered to build at Cromer a Convalescent Home for the reception of Hospital patients, and the Earl of Leicester, with like generosity, had promised to endow it with £15,000, or, if necessary, with £20,000. Mr. Cadge retired from the office of senior surgeon on October 4th. (_See_ April 25th, 1893.)
June 30th 1890
H.M.S. Howe entered Yarmouth Roads, and on July 1st was joined by the Anson, the flagship of Rear-Admiral Richard E. Tracey, and the Rodney. The officers and men of the squadron were invited to various entertainments provided ashore by the townspeople, and the vessels sailed on July 4th.
July 9th 1890
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Yarmouth, and concluded on the 10th. Sir Edward Birkbeck, Bart., was president.
July 26th 1890
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Volunteer Battalions of the Norfolk Regiment went into camp at Yarmouth.
August 2nd 1890
The coming of age of Mr. Herbert H. Bullard, eldest son of Sir Harry Bullard, was celebrated at Norwich.
August 5th 1890
The attainment of his majority on March 5th by Mr. Roland le Strange was celebrated on this date at Hunstanton Park. On the 6th a ball was given, at which many distinguished guests were present.
August 6th 1890
The Cricket Week theatricals at Norwich Theatre commenced with the production of “Caste,” which was repeated on the 7th. “County Courted, or the Beadle’s Bride,” an operetta adapted from “Oliver Twist,” by Mr. Arthur Waugh, with music by Mr. Claud Nugent, was performed on the 8th, followed by “My Uncle’s Will,” and the farce, “B.B.”
August 7th 1890
Died, at Heigham Road, Norwich, Mr. Ambrose Winter, aged 100 years and 41 weeks. Mr. Winter was a native of Norwich, where he had resided throughout his life.
August 15th 1890
Died, at Yarmouth, Mr. Charles Gibbon, aged 47. A Scotsman by birth, he commenced his career upon the staff of a Glasgow journal, and removed to London in 1859, where he became a novelist. Among his best known works were “Beyond Compare,” “Queen of the Meadow,” “A Family Secret,” “By Mead and Stream,” “The Dead Heart,” “Auld Robin Grey,” &c. “He wrote interactively, always purely, and at times even vividly.” Mr. Gibbon took up his residence in Yarmouth in 1886.
August 20th 1890
Died, at Coltishall, Sarah Weeds, in her 100th year.
August 23rd 1890
Messrs. Grout and Co., of Norwich, gave notice to several hundreds of their workpeople that their engagements with the firm would terminate on the 30th. “Their factory, a modern building of large dimensions, is fitted with machinery of the most improved construction, and contains every appliance for carrying on the manufacture of fabrics which have gained for Norwich world-wide reputation. The firm has a branch factory at Yarmouth, where about 1,000 persons are engaged, and other establishments at Ditchingham and Ponder’s End.”
September 10th 1890
Died, at Costessey, Frederick Viner, formerly in the 13th Light Dragoons. He took part in the light cavalry charge at Balaclava, and his name was officially recorded in the list of survivors.
September 24th 1890
A new reservoir constructed near Mousehold by the Norwich Waterworks Company was opened. “It contains over 600,000 gallons of water, and by a curious coincidence 600,000 bricks were used in its construction.”
September 29th 1890
Died, at Heggatt Hall, Captain Arthur Rodney Blane, R.N., second son of Sir Hugh Seymour Blane, Bart. Captain Blane, who had seen much active service in Chinese waters, was placed upon the retired list in 1881.
October 1st 1890
The headquarters of the 8th Hussars arrived at Norwich, under the command of Colonel St. Quintin.
October 14th 1890
The Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, with an evening performance of “Judas Maccabæus.” On the morning of the 15th “L’Allegro ed il Pensieroso,” composed expressly for the Festival, and conducted by the composer, Dr. C. H. Parry, and the “Stabat Mater,” were produced. The evening programme included the prelude and entr’actes to “Ravenswood” (Mackenzie) and “The Dream of Jubal” (Joseph Bennett), conducted by the composer. “The Martyr of Antioch,” conducted by its composer, Sir Arthur Sullivan, and “Hear My Prayer” (Mendelssohn), were performed on the morning of the 16th; in the evening a miscellaneous concert took place. “Elijah” was produced on the morning of the 17th; and in the evening a miscellaneous concert was preceded by the second act of the opera of “The Flying Dutchman.” The Festival produced a profit of £501 10s. 7d., of which sum £250 was distributed among the local charities. The principal vocalists were Madame Nordica, Miss Liza Lehmann, Miss Mackintyre, Miss Grace Damian, and Miss Marian McKenzie; reciter, Miss Julia Neilson; Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Maldwyn Humphreys, Mr. Ben Davies, Mr. Henschel, Mr. Franco Novara, Mr. Brockbank, and Mr. Alex Marsh.
October 23rd 1890
A peal of nine bells, cast by Messrs. Taylor and Sons, of Loughborough, at the cost of £500, for the parish church of Wells-next-the-sea, was dedicated.
October 27th 1890
Died, the Rev. John Edmund Cox, D.D., F.S.A., formerly vicar of St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate, London, aged 78. A native of the city, and educated at the Cathedral school, he became Bible Clerk at All Souls College, Oxford, and in 1837 was ordained by Bishop Stanley, and presented to the incumbency of Aldeby. He afterwards became minister of St. Mary, Southtown, Yarmouth, and whilst there edited the well-known, “Memoir of Sarah Martin.” Subsequently he went to Stepney, and in 1849 was presented by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s to his city living. Dr. Cox was the author of “A Life of Cranmer,” “Principles of the Reformation,” “A life of Luther,” and of “Protestantism compared with Romanism.” He also edited several historical treatises for the Parker Society.
October 29th 1890
The Norwich Town Council confirmed a contract entered into with Mr. R. A. Cooper for the purchase of certain land at Thorpe Hamlet required for the construction of the proposed Riverside Road. The amount to be paid to the owner was £3,022, and the estimated cost of the road between £2,000 and £3,000.
November 10th 1890
The Norwich Town Council elected Mr. Walter Overbury to the office of Mayor, and appointed Mr. Geoffrey Fowell Buxton as Sheriff. Mr. Oyerbury having declined to qualify, Mr. Edward Wild was on the 24th elected to fill the vacancy.
November 10th 1890
Died, aged 79, the Rev. Charles Turner, formerly rector of Bixley and Framingham Earl. He was the son of Mr. Charles Turner, the last Mayor of Norwich previous to the passing of the Municipal Reform Act, and held the living of St. Peter Mancroft from 1848 to 1878.
November 24th 1890
The Prince of Wales opened, at the Athenæum, King’s Lynn, a sporting and art exhibition in aid of the covert funds of the West Norfolk Hunt. His Royal Highness was accompanied by the Princess of Wales.
November 24th 1890
The Princess of Wales, accompanied by Princesses Victoria and Maud, arrived at Melton Constable on a visit to Lord and Lady Hastings. Their Royal Highnesses were afterwards joined by the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Clarence and Avondale. The visit terminated on the 29th.
November 25th 1890
The weather became exceedingly severe, and frost and snow prevailed to the end of the year.
December 1st 1890
Died, at his residence, Thickthorn, near Norwich, Mr. Francis Hay Gurney, in his 65th year. Mr. Gurney was a son of Mr. Daniel Gurney, of North Runcton, by Lady Harriet Hay, daughter of William, sixteenth Earl of Errol. In 1847 he married Margaret Charlotte, daughter of Sir W. H. Browne ffolkes, Bart. A partner in the banking firm of Messrs. Gurneys and Co., he discharged with conspicuous courtesy and ability all the duties that devolve upon a country gentleman. For many years he presided as chairman of the Committee of Management of the Norfolk and Norwich Musical festival, and in politics was a staunch Conservative. In 1859 he took an active part in the Volunteer movement; subsequently he raised and commanded a troop of Light Horse, and ultimately joined the Suffolk Yeomanry Cavalry, from which he retired with the brevet rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.
December 2nd 1890
The first lecture of a series inaugurated by the Norwich Free Library Committee was given at Blackfriars’ Hall, Norwich, by the Rev. H. H. Snell on “Books and Readers.” (_See_ January 12th, 1891.)
December 5th 1890
Died, at his residence, 43, Ennismore Gardens, South Kensington, Mr. Baron Huddleston, formerly member of Parliament for Norwich. The son of a merchant captain, Thomas Huddleston, he was born in 1817, and matriculated at Trinity College, Dublin. He came to England to seek his fortune as usher in a school, but afterwards made a more promising start in life as a barrister at the Central Criminal Court. Admitted a student at Gray’s Inn on April 18th, 1836, and called to the Bar by that society in the summer of 1839, he accepted silk in 1857 from Lord Cranworth, then Lord Chancellor. He had unsuccessfully contested, as a Conservative, Worcester, Shrewsbury, and Kidderminster, but was returned for Canterbury in 1865. In 1870 he made an unsuccessful assault on Norwich, but four years later defeated Mr. Tillett by forty-seven votes. In 1875 he was appointed judge in the Court of Common Pleas, was duly knighted, and ultimately transferred to the Court of Exchequer on the death of Mr. Baron Pigott. He married Lady Diana Beauclerk, sister of the Duke of St. Albans.
December 14th 1890
Died, at Clermont Terrace, Queen’s Road, Norwich, Sarah, widow of John Barnard, formerly of Beccles, in her 101st year.
December 18th 1890
Mr. S. Hoare, M.P., delivered a farewell address to his constituents, at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, previous to his departure for India.
December 19th 1890
A heavy fall of snow, accompanied by sharp frost, occurred on this date. Skating became general throughout the county.
December 26th 1890
Ginnett’s Circus opened for the winter season at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
December 27th 1890
Died, at Lynn, Mr. John Osborne Smetham, aged 78. He was six times Mayor of the borough, and had been an alderman thirty-four years, and held various public offices in the town.
December 30th 1890
An influential meeting, convened by the Mayor, was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, to inaugurate a fund for the relief of the unemployed and necessitous poor of the city. About £900 was subscribed in the room, and active measures were taken for the relief of public distress.