January 3rd 1889
The Norfolk magistrates met at the Shirehall, Norwich, for the last time for the discharge of the general business of the county. Mr. J. R. Bulwer, Q.C., presided. On the motion of Sir Francis Boileau, Bart., seconded by Mr. C. S. Read, a vote of thanks was accorded to the senior Chairman, Mr. R. T. Gurdon, “for the impartial, courteous, and punctual manner in which he has discharged the various duties appertaining to the office of Chairman during the eighteen years in which he has with marked ability presided over this Court.” One of the last acts of the Court was to grant to the Under-Sheriff (Mr. Hales) the sum of £700 towards the expenses of the County Council elections, which took place on January 24th. The first meeting of the Norfolk Provisional County Council was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, on February 7th. Mr. Gurdon was elected provisional chairman by 37 votes against 18 recorded for Lord Kimberley. After the election of aldermen the meeting was adjourned until February 16th, when Mr. Gurdon was elected permanent Chairman by 53 votes against 20 polled by Lord Kimberley. Lord Walsingham was elected Vice-Chairman. It was reported that the cost of the elections was £3,308 4s. 6d. The first meeting of the fully-constituted Council took place at the Shirehall on April 13th; and on December 14th it adopted a comprehensive scheme for the management of the main roads of the county.
January 3rd 1889
A regimental ball, given by the officers of the 20th Hussars, took place at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
January 9th 1889
A meeting of the citizens was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, for the consideration of the Norwich Corporation Bill, which, during the preceding year the Town Council had decided to present to Parliament. The Mayor (Mr. J. Farrar Ranson) presided, and the proceedings were of a most disorderly character. At the adjourned meeting on the 23rd similar scenes were witnessed. The Bill, which was very comprehensive, and contained provisions relating to infectious diseases, police regulations, private street works, hackney carriages, the employment of children, consolidation of parishes, &c., passed through Select Committee of the House of Commons on June 18th.
January 14th 1889
The first of another series of “Science Lectures for the People” was given, under the Gilchrist Educational Trust, at St. Andrew’s Hall by Sir Robert Stawell Ball, Astronomer Royal for Ireland, on “The Sun, the Fountain of life and Light.” Dr. Lant Carpenter, on January 28th, lectured upon “Electric Lighting”; Dr. Andrew Wilson, February 9th, on “Some Animal Architects: Chalk Builders and Coral Makers”; Professor Miall, February 25th, on “The Life-history of the Earth”; Professor Seeley, March 11th, on “Water and its Action in Land-shaping”; and the Rev. Dr. Dallinger, F.R.S., F.L.S., president of the Royal Microscopical Society, March 25th, on “Contrasts of Nature—the Infinitely Great and the Infinitely Small.” The Corporation in December arranged a series of lectures independently of the Gilchrist Trust. On the 4th of that month Sir Robert Ball lectured on “Shooting Stars,” and on the 18th Dr. Andrew Wilson discoursed on “The Heart and its Action.” (_See_ March 5th, 1890.)
January 21st 1889
The freemen of Norwich unanimously agreed that it was undesirable to take any steps in opposition to the Attorney-General’s motion for declaring the Town Close Estate a charity. In the Court of Appeal, on June 22nd, before Lords Justices Cotton, Bowen, and Fry, Mr. Ingle Joyce informed their lordships that a scheme was to be devised for the management of the estate; the Corporation were to retain a sufficient sum to cover their costs, and the plaintiffs in the action were to have their costs as between party and party. Their lordships sanctioned the agreement. “All that now remains to be done in the original action is to settle the roll by striking off the names of freemen wrongfully admitted.” At a meeting of the Town Council on August 27th it was reported that the estimated costs in the litigation amounted to £5,000. (_See_ February 6th, 1892.)
January 23rd 1889
Died, at Yarmouth, Mrs. Rose Ellen Thackeray, widow of the Rev. Joseph Thackeray, many years rector of Horstead and Coltishall. Mrs. Thackeray, who was in her 79th year, was the authoress of “Social Skeletons,” and “Pictures of the Past,” and a contributor of poetical sketches to various magazines. She was the youngest daughter of Captain John Robinson, of the Scots Guards.
January 24th 1889
Mr. and Mrs. Kendall commenced a three nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre in “The Queen’s Shilling.” “A Scrap of Paper” was performed on the 25th, and “Two Friends” on the 26th.
January 26th 1889
Died, at St. Andrew’s Hall Plain, Norwich, Mr. Alfred Stannard, artist, in his 83rd year. He was the last survivor of the Norwich School of Artists, which commenced with Old Crome. He was the younger brother of the famous Joseph Stannard, and father of Miss Stannard, the well-known painter of fruit and flowers. During the last few years of his life Mr. Stannard was in receipt of an annual pension of £50 from the Turner Fund of the Royal Academy.
January 26th 1889
Died, at the Cathedral Close, Norwich, Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor, widow of Mr. John Oddin Taylor, aged 81. She was the eldest of the twelve children of Mr. John Brewer, of Mile End House, Eaton. Among her brothers were Professor Brewer, Preacher at the Rolls-Chapel, and editor of the State Papers of the time of Henry VIII.; Dr. William Brewer, Chairman of the Metropolitan Asylums Board, and sometime Member of Parliament for Colchester; and Dr. Cobham Brewer, the well-known author of the “Guide to Science” and other educational works. Born on November 9th, 1807, she was educated with her brothers at Mile End School, and there acquired that proficiency in the classics and love of literature generally which she maintained and cherished throughout her life. Among the pupils attending her father’s school was John Oddin Taylor, who was destined to become her husband. Early in life she manifested an ardent enthusiasm for music, and studied under Dr. Crotch, and for her great proficiency in the art was on two occasions awarded a medal. With her high intellectual gifts were combined broad and liberal sympathies, and she won the confidence and affection of all.
January 29th 1889
Mr. T. P. O’Connor, M.P., addressed a Gladstonian Liberal meeting held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. J. J. Colman.
February 5th 1889
A series of military tournaments, given by the 20th Hussars in aid of the city charities, commenced at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, and concluded on the 9th.
February 9th 1889
A severe gale did great damage to the fishing fleet in the North Sea. Several Yarmouth fishermen were drowned. Heavy snowstorms occurred on the 10th.
February 20th 1889
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Field, George Edward Brock (46), solicitor, was sentenced to ten months’ imprisonment for obtaining money by false pretences.
February 21st 1889
A murderous attack was made upon Police-constable Southgate, of the Norwich police, by a man named Joseph Betts, who in 1883 was charged with sending threatening letters to the Bishop of Norwich and Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P., signed “Another Invincible.” Southgate was returning from night duty at 6.35 a.m., when he was accosted by Betts, who fired a revolver at him, the bullet passing between his left arm and the side of his body. Betts then withdrew to his house in Northumberland Street, where he barricaded himself. Several police-officers went to the house to effect his apprehension; a ladder was procured, and while Inspector Guiett was preparing to ascend to the bedroom window Betts appeared above and deliberately fired at the officer. The bullet struck the leather peak of the inspector’s cap, and, glancing off, inflicted a superficial wound upon his head. Ultimately the prisoner was captured by a ruse, and removed to the police-station. On March 1st he was committed for trial. Betts was tried at the Norwich Assizes on July 20th on the charge of firing a pistol at Police-constable Southgate with intent to murder him. He was found guilty of intent to do grievous bodily harm, and was sentenced by Lord Chief Justice Coleridge to fifteen years’ penal servitude. The prisoner was afterwards removed to Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum.
February 21st 1889
Died, at Ashill Rectory, the Rev. Bartholomew Edwards, “within ten days of his 100th year.” Born on March 2nd, 1789, he graduated at St. John’s College, Cambridge, taking his B.A. degree (7th Sen. Opt.) in 1811. He was ordained deacon by Bishop Bathurst at Norwich in 1812, and priest in 1813. In the last-named year he received his only preferment, which he held for 76 years. Mr. Edwards, who was the oldest clergyman in the Church of England, was a rural dean, a justice of the peace, and a Deputy Lieutenant for Norfolk. He recorded his vote at the County Council election on January 24th, and caught a chill; congestion of the lungs supervened, and this attack was the immediate cause of his death.
February 27th 1889
The Marquis of Hartington visited Norwich and addressed a large meeting of the Unionist party held at St. Andrew’s Hall. The Earl of Leicester presided, and was supported by several representatives of the nobility and county gentry.
March 5th 1889
Hengler’s Circus company commenced a season’s engagement at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich. Mr. George Gilbert, a native of the city, and Miss Jennie O’ Brien (Mrs. Gilbert), members of the company, were enthusiastically received at the opening performance.
March 19th 1889
The Norwich Town Council unanimously adopted a farewell address to the Very Rev. E. M. Goulburn on his resignation of the Deanery of Norwich. The address was presented to Dean Goulburn at the Deanery on April 23rd by the Mayor (Mr. J. Farrar Ranson), who was accompanied by the Sheriff (Mr. G. White) and other members of the Corporation. (_See_ July 5th.)
April 2nd 1889
The new lifeboat, Mark Lane, presented to the National Lifeboat Institution by traders at Mark Lane, was launched at Yarmouth.
April 2nd 1889
Captain Wiggins, F.R.G.S., lectured at Norwich, upon his experiences in the Arctic Seas and Siberia. Mr. J. H. Gurney, jun., F.Z.S., F.L.S., who presided, introduced the lecturer as a native of the city. Captain Wiggins referred to the fact that forty-three years previously he lived as a boy at Norwich, and expressed the pleasure it gave him to return to his native town to tell them of things which he never dreamed of years ago. On the previous day Captain Wiggins was received at Marlborough House by the Prince and Princess of Wales.
April 9th 1889
The Sheriff of Norwich and Mrs. White gave a _soirée_ at St. Andrew’s Hall, at which many residents in the city and county were present.
April 12th 1889
The Earl of Rosebery addressed a great Gladstonian meeting held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Earl of Kimberley. His lordship, after making an eloquent speech in favour of Home Rule, entered Mr. J. J. Colman’s carriage, and, preceded by two brass bands, and escorted by torchbearers, was driven to Carrow House.
April 13th 1889
Died, at Mill Hill Road, Norwich, aged 60, Mr. James Darkin, a well-known music seller, who had been the means of introducing to the city many talented singers and musicians.
April 16th 1889
In the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court of Justice, before Lord Coleridge and Mr. Justice Hawkins, was mentioned the case, Ford _v._ Wiley. This case arose out of the question whether the operation of dishorning cattle, _i.e._, sawing off their horns at the roots, was cruelty within the meaning of the Act for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The Blofield Bench of magistrates had ruled in the negative. Lord Coleridge said: “All that we have to say for the present is that we have made up our minds distinctly and clearly to give judgment reversing the decision of the magistrates, holding as we do that the practice of dishorning is unlawful. But as we differ from several judgments we think it only respectful to the learned judges who decided those cases to say that we have duly considered everything they have said on the subject, and therefore we have thought right to take time to put our judgment into writing (though we entirely agree in it), and we will deliver judgment early in the next sitting.” On May 18th the Lord Chief Justice, in delivering judgment, said the operation of dishorning was detestably brutal, and it was also unnecessary except to enable its owner to obtain a pound or two more for the animal on its sale. Mr. Justice Hawkins concurred, and the case was remitted to the magistrates for further hearing.
April 23rd 1889
The Queen, accompanied by Princess Louise, arrived at Sandringham on a visit to the Prince and Princess of Wales. His Royal Highness, with whom was Prince Albert Victor, welcomed her Majesty at Lynn railway station, where she was presented with an address by the Mayor (Mr. G. G. Sadler) on behalf of the Corporation of the borough. On driving from Wolferton station to Sandringham House her Majesty was escorted by a large number of the members of the Norfolk Hunt, headed by Sir Dighton Probyn; and in the grounds one hundred men of the Norfolk Artillery formed a guard of honour. The officers in attendance were Colonel Lord Suffield, Major Dawson, Lieutenant the Hon. H. Tyrwhitt Wilson, and Lieutenant Lombe. On the 22nd her Majesty visited the Artillery camp in the park, and drove to Castle Rising and inspected the ruins; on the 23rd several of the neighbouring villages were visited, and in the afternoon the Queen received a deputation of the tenantry on the estate, who presented to her a loyal address; and on the evening of the 26th her Majesty witnessed a performance of “The Bells” and “The Merchant of Venice,” given by Mr. Henry Irving, Miss Ellen Terry, and the Lyceum Company. Her Majesty returned to Windsor on the 27th.
April 25th 1889
The Norwich Diocesan Conference was opened at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of the Bishop of the Diocese, and was continued on the 26th.
April 26th 1889
The phonograph, described as “Edison’s wonderful talking machine,” was exhibited for the first time in Norwich, “with a unique library of voices,” by Mr. William Lynd, M.I.C.E.
May 7th 1889
Died, at Norwich, aged 36, Mr. Edward Preston Willins, A.R.I.B.A. He was the youngest son of Mr. William Willins, and published a handsome volume, entitled, “Quaint Old Norwich,” a work much sought after by local collectors.
May 9th 1889
Lieutenant Campbell, Quartermaster of the 20th Hussars, was accidentally drowned in the Yare by the capsizing of his sailing boat, near Buckenham Ferry. His wife, who was with him at the time of the accident, was saved by his servant, Private Moore. Mr. Campbell was 33 years of age, and had been in the regiment since 1872. He had served through the Egyptian campaigns, and had received the Egyptian and Khedive’s stars and the clasp for Suakim. His remains were interred at Norwich Cemetery with full military honours on the 13th. Private Moore on June 11th was presented at the Cavalry Barracks, on the occasion of a full-dress parade of the regiment, with the silver medal and certificate of the Royal Humane Society, handed to him by Colonel Blake, the officer commanding; and with a purse, containing £45, presented by the Mayor (Mr. J. Farrar Ranson) on behalf of the citizens.
May 24th 1889
The western portion of the Castle Gardens at Norwich was thrown open to the public at noon.
May 27th 1889
Lydia Baker, widow, of Alburgh, completed her 100th year, and was entertained with her nearest relatives at the rectory by the Rev. C. W. and Mrs. Lohr. Among the many presents received by the old lady was a stocking containing 100 shillings.
May 27th 1889
Died, at Longford, Derby, the Hon. Edward Wentworth Coke, aged 64. A son of the first Earl of Leicester, he for five years represented the old Division of West Norfolk, for which he was elected on August 16th, 1847, as a Liberal, in conjunction with Mr. William Bagge, the Tory and Protectionist. Mr. Coke was formerly a captain, in the Scots Fusiliers, and was widely known as a breeder of shire horses.
June 1st 1889
Heavy and destructive thunderstorms occurred throughout Norfolk, and especially in the western portion of the county. Immense damage was done to the growing crops.
June 6th 1889
The Church of England portion of Attleborough Cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. The ceremony had been delayed by a prolonged and unpleasant controversy.
June 8th 1889
The 1st Volunteer Brigade Norfolk Artillery went into camp at Yarmouth. During the night of the 9th tents and marquees were overturned by a heavy gale from the north, accompanied by torrents of rain. The camp was struck on the 12th.
June 18th 1889
The Norwich Town Council decided to purchase the Carrow Bridge undertaking, under powers conferred by the new Corporation Act, at a cost not exceeding £3,000, towards which sum Messrs. J. and J. Colman offered to contribute £1,500.
June 19th 1889
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association opened at Swaffham. Mr. Anthony Hamond was president.
June 21st 1889
The Sheriff of Norwich and Mrs. White entertained 700 of the aged poor of the city to dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall in celebration of the marriage of their daughter, Miss Ellen Constance White.
June 21st 1889
Died, at Antingham Rectory, the Rev. John Dolphin, in his 85th year. “He was among the few survivors of the University elevens that first competed for cricketing honours in the year 1827, when he played as an old Etonian captain for Cambridge.”
June 22nd 1889
An aeronaut named Grais made a balloon ascent from the Newmarket Road Cricket Ground, Norwich, and upon attaining an altitude of about 3,000 feet descended by means of a parachute. Grais made a similar descent at East Dereham on August 10th.
June 25th 1889
Died, at West Lodge, Easton, Mr. Edward Fountaine, aged 68. He was a son of Mr. Andrew Fountaine, of Narford Hall, and was much devoted to the pursuit of ornithology. Mr. Fountaine achieved some fame as a breeder of eagle owls and was a regular contributor to “The Ibis.”
July 1st 1889
The sale of Mr. T. Fulcher’s herd of red polled cattle was conducted at Elmham Park by Mr. John Thornton. Thirty-nine heifers realised £1,026 18s., an average of £26 6s. 7d.; and eight bulls £159 12s., an average of £19 19s.
July 2nd 1889
The first biennial sale of shorthorn cattle and Southdown sheep, the property of the Prince of Wales, took place at Wolferton. His Royal Highness, accompanied by Prince George of Wales, was present at the luncheon, and during the subsequent proceedings. The total amount realised for the cattle was 3,000 guineas, an average of £50 each. The sheep made high prices. Mr. John Thornton was the auctioneer.
July 5th 1889
The Ven. William Lefroy, Archdeacon of Warrington, was installed Dean of Norwich in succession to the Very Rev. E. M. Goulburn, D.D., resigned. Dean Lefroy preached his first sermon at the Cathedral on October 15th, on the occasion of the festival of the Church of England Temperance Society.
July 10th 1889
Died, at Walpole House, Thorpe, Mr. William Houghton Clabburn, aged 69. He was for many years a partner in the firm of Clabburn, Sons, and Crisp, shawl manufacturers, whose products achieved for Norwich a world-wide celebrity. Mr. Clabburn was chairman of the directors of the Norwich Crape Company, and served the office of Sheriff in 1866–67.
July 16th 1889
The Norwich Town Council voted a loyal and dutiful address to the Prince and Princess of Wales on the approaching marriage of Princess Louise with the Earl of Fife. The wedding on the 27th was celebrated in Norwich by the ringing of St. Peter Mancroft bells, and the display of flags on public buildings. The ladies of Norfolk presented to her Royal Highness a diamond bracelet and a grand pianoforte, and the farmers on the Sandringham estate gave a handsome diamond cross.
July 21st 1889
Thunderstorms were general throughout the county. At Beechamwell seventeen sheep were killed by lightning, and everywhere the ripening corn crops were greatly damaged by rain and hail.
July 27th 1889
The four Volunteer Battalions of the Norfolk Regiment went into brigade camp on Rushford Heath, under the command of Brigadier-General Bulwer. The marching in state was 1,563. General Buchanan, C.B., inspected the brigade on the 30th, and the camp was struck on August 1st.
August 1st 1889
The chancel of Cromer church, which had been restored at the cost of £6,800, under the superintendence of Sir A. W. Blomfield, A.R.A., was re-opened.
August 6th 1889
The Royal Archæological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland visited Norwich, and held its inaugural meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall. The proceedings were attended by the Mayor and Corporation and by the members of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society. The Duke of Norfolk, as president for the week, delivered an opening address; and from this day until the closing meeting on the 15th many places of interest in the city and county were visited. On the 8th the Mayor and Mrs. Hanson gave a _conversazione_ at St. Andrew’s Hall in honour of the visit of the Institute.
August 7th 1889
The Norwich Cricket Week theatrical performance, organized by Sir Kenneth Kemp, Bart., was given at the Theatre Royal. It consisted of the production of the comedy, “Upper Crust.” The piece was performed again on the 9th.
September 2nd 1889
A violent thunderstorm occurred, accompanied by torrents of rain, which did excessive damage to unharvested crops.
September 19th 1889
An amateur performance of “Lady Deadlock’s Secret” was given at Norwich Theatre in aid of the funds of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Lady Monckton sustained the character of Lady Deadlock, and was supported by Mr. Charles Colnaghi, Mr. George Nugent, Mr. E. F. Nugent, Mr. C. H. Clark, Mr. Eustace Ponsonby, Mr. C. W. A Trollope, and other distinguished amateurs. The performance was repeated on the 20th.
September 27th 1889
Lieut.-Colonel Bignold, leader of the Conservative party in Norwich, was presented with his portrait, painted by W. B. Richmond, A.R.A., and with an album containing an illuminated address and list of subscribers—members of the Conservative party in city and county. The presentation was made by Sir Harry Bullard at a garden party given by Colonel Bignold at Harford Lodge.
September 29th 1889
Died, at St. Benedict’s Plain, Norwich, Mr. George Branwhite Jay, aged 43. He was a native of Great Yarmouth, where his father practised as surgeon. Mr. Jay devoted much time to the study of parish and other registers, and for some time before his death had been engaged in preparing for the press a work, entitled, “Transcript of St. George of Tombland Register.”
October 15th 1889
A conference of members of the Church of England Temperance Society, held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, was addressed by the Bishop of London.
October 23rd 1889
The lifeboat Elizabeth Simpson, presented to the National Lifeboat Institution by Miss Elizabeth Simpson Stone, of Norwich, was launched at Gorleston. On the 24th the boat was towed up the river to Norwich in order that the donor, who was unable to be present at the launch, might inspect the craft.
October 25th 1889
The Higher Grade School, erected in Duke Street by the Norwich School Board, was opened. Mr. A. J. Mundella, M.P., gave an address, and the Mayor, Sheriff, and members for the city also took part in the proceedings. In the evening the Sheriff (as Chairman of the School Board) and Mrs. White gave a _conversazione_ at St. Andrew’s Hall. The school, which occupies the site of the old Duke’s Head Inn, was designed by Mr. J. H. Brown, architect to the Board, and built by Messrs. J. Youngs and Son.
October 25th 1889
Wroxham House, the residence of Mrs. Blake-Humfrey, was destroyed by fire. Soon after the fire was discovered a great quantity of wine was stolen from the cellars, and at the Petty Sessions held at the Shirehall, Norwich, on November 2nd, seven persons were convicted of the theft. It was alleged that one of the accused was taking away the wine in a bucket.
November 2nd 1889
The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture passed a resolution affirming that the suppression of pleuro-pneumonia should be placed in the hands of the Government, and that compensation for compulsory slaughter be paid out of the National Exchequer, and not from the local rates.
November 7th 1889
The Baroness Burdett-Coutts delivered an address at the Guildhall, Norwich, in support of the objects of the Norwich Band of Mercy.
November 9th 1889
Mr. William Howard Dakin was elected Mayor and Mr. Edward Orams appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 13th 1889
Died, at Tunbridge Wells, in his 81st year, Sir S. Morton Peto. He received his baronetcy for having contracted, in December, 1854, to construct a railway from Balaclava to Sebastopol, and other works, without profit or remuneration for superintendence. He was Liberal member for Norwich from 1847 to 1855, and successively represented Finsbury and Bristol. Sir Morton Peto was a civil engineer, and formerly a member of the firms of Grissell and Peto and of Peto and Betts.
November 16th 1889
Died, Mr. Charles Edward Tuck, of St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, and the Grove, Blofield, in his 81st year. He was the fourth son of Mr. Thomas Tuck, of Strumpshaw Hall, and for many years practised as solicitor, and took an active part in public affairs. A Conservative in polities, he was elected in 1864 Mayor of Norwich. Mr. Tuck was a justice of the peace for the city, and vice-president of the Norwich Union Fire Office.
December 4th 1889
Died, at Mount Pleasant, Norwich, Mrs. E. Ling, aged 101 years.
December 9th 1889
The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh arrived at Didlington Hall on a visit to Mr. and Mrs. Tyssen Amherst.
December 10th 1889
Sir Harry and Lady Bullard entertained the members of the Norwich and Norfolk Conservative Club, and their friends, to a _soirée_ given at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
December 17th 1889
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council it was reported that notice had been received from the solicitor to the Norwich Tramways Company of their intention to abandon the tramway scheme authorised by the Norwich Tramway Order, 1887. (_See_ January 19th, 1897.)
December 17th 1889
A resolution in favour of petitioning the Queen for an Order in Council authorising the alteration in the number or boundaries of the wards of the city, was adopted by a nominal majority of the Norwich Town Council. A majority of two-thirds of the members of the Corporation was necessary in order to make the motion effective. (_See_ July 21st, 1891.)
December 17th 1889
Died, at Taplow, aged 62, Colonel J. E. Harvey, of Thorpe, Norwich, and Springfield, Taplow. He was the eldest son of Mr. Kerrison Harvey, and entered the Army as ensign in the 36th Regiment. He took part in the suppression of the insurrection in Cephalonia, when that island was placed under martial law in 1849, and served with the 41st Regiment in the Crimean campaign. In 1869 he was appointed staff officer of pensioners, and served in that capacity in Jersey and at Great Yarmouth until 1881, when he retired into civilian life. Colonel Harvey married, in 1858, Octavia, daughter of the Rev. Richard Stevens, vicar of Belgrave, Leicestershire.
December 21st 1889
Mr. George Ginnett’s Circus opened for the season at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
December 26th 1889
Lord Hartington arrived at Westacre as the guest of Sir Henry James. After three days’ shooting his lordship proceeded to Sandringham on a visit to the Prince and Princess of Wales, and remained there until January 6th, 1890, when he left for Merton Hall on a shooting visit to Baron de Hirsch, the then tenant of the Hall. Lord Hartington was taken ill immediately on his arrival, and was confined to bed for nearly three weeks by severe congestion of the lungs. His lordship was enabled to return to town on January 30th.