January 2nd 1888
Mr. Edward Compton’s company appeared at Norwich Theatre in Mr. W. G. Wills’ play, “Jane Shore,” with Miss Isabel Bateman in the title _rôle_.
January 17th 1888
Mr. Andrew Johnston, Assistant Commissioner under the Boundary Commission appointed to make inquiries as to the delimitation of counties and Poor Law Unions, in view of impending legislation in the form of a new Local Government Bill, attended a meeting of the County Rate Basis Committee, held at Lynn under the presidency of Mr. R. T. Gurdon, and heard various statements made by the county magistrates. A Committee appointed to confer with the Commissioners reported at the County Sessions on April 5th that they considered it undesirable to alter the boundaries of the county. On April 10th a deputation appointed by the Norwich Town Council waited upon Mr. Ritchie to ask for the inclusion of Norwich in Schedule 4 of the Local Government Bill, in order that the city might be constituted a county in itself, and not be included in the county of Norfolk as was proposed. The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, on May 5th, passed resolutions in favour “of an alteration in the proposed electoral divisions so as to give a fair representation to the agricultural interest; of an extension of the term of office of the elective councillors; of one electoral register for all purposes; and of the postponement of the question of District Councils until next year.” The Chamber further agreed to petition Parliament in favour of the wheel tax.
January 17th 1888
A report was submitted to the Norwich Town Council on the completion of the new Foundry Bridge. The original estimate for the work was £13,000; the actual cost, including all charges, was £12,032 11s. 4d. The width of the bridge is 50 feet—five feet more than was originally intended. The Great Eastern Railway Company contributed £1,200 towards the cost of the undertaking.
January 20th 1888
Died, at Shadwell Court, Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bart. The son of Sir John Jacob Buxton, Bart., by the eldest daughter of Sir Montagu Cholmeley, he succeeded to the title in 1842 as the third, and, in default of male issue, the last baronet. Sir Robert was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, and married, in 1865, Mary Augusta Harriet, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Johnstone, by whom he left two daughters, Maud Isabel and Sybil Mary. He was a Deputy-Lieutenant for Norfolk, and sat in Parliament for the Southern Division of the county from 1871 to 1885. In 1870 he served the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk, and was a justice of the peace for both Norfolk and Suffolk. Sir Robert was at one time an officer in the Suffolk Yeomanry Cavalry, and afterwards identified himself with the Volunteer movement by accepting, in 1860, a captaincy in the 20th Norfolk Rifle Volunteers.
January 21st 1888
At the annual meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society the Mayor of Norwich (Mr. F. W. Harmer) presented to Mr. Arthur Waters Preston a handsome black marble clock of classical design, subscribed for by members and friends of the society in recognition of his services as hon. secretary from 1881 to 1888. Accompanying the testimonial was a cheque for £50 and an illuminated address.
January 23rd 1888
The action, Stanley _v._ the Mayor and Corporation of Norwich, arising out of the claim of the freemen to the Town Close Estate, came before Mr. Justice Kekewich in the Royal Court of Judicature. Mr. Walter Rye, Mr. Stanley’s agent, asked that it might be referred to Mr. Blofeld, Recorder of Ipswich and Chancellor of the Diocese of Norwich, to enquire and report who were the persons entitled as freemen to participate in the rents and profits of the estate, and what persons were entitled to be admitted as freemen under the inquiry directed by the judgment given in March, 1887. His lordship made the order asked for, and directed that the inquiry be held at the Guildhall, Norwich, or at such other place as the referee might from time to time direct. Mr. Blofeld opened the inquiry on March 19th, and continued the proceedings on the 20th, when a large number of freemen attended for the purpose of proving their right to have their names placed upon the roll. On the same day (the 20th) it was reported to the Town Council that the cost of the Town Close Estate litigation amounted to £4,500, and a resolution was adopted for leave to borrow the amount on mortgage of the estate. In the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice, on July 7th, a point was raised as to the jurisdiction of the court to affirm a declaration of the Attorney-General creating the Town Close Estate a charity. Mr. Justice Kekewich, on July 14th, sustained the objection taken by the respondents to the Attorney-General’s application, and held that before issuing a summons the Attorney-General must establish by independent proceedings an information that there was a charity in existence to be regulated. The summons had been so drawn as to assume the existence of a charity, and this was just what his lordship thought could not be assumed. On December 14th, in the Supreme Court, before Lords Justices Cotton, Lindley, and Bowen, the Attorney-General appealed from Mr. Justice Kekewich’s decision. Their lordships, after hearing arguments, held that Mr. Justice Kekewich had determined by his judgment that the Town Close Estate was a charitable trust. On December 20th, however, their lordships reconsidered their decision, directed the order of Mr. Justice Kekewich to be discharged, and ordered the summons to be set down for further argument, and to decide whether there was or was not a charity. (_See_ January 21st, 1889.)
January 31st 1888
Died, at Southwell Lodge, Norwich, Mr. John Willis, aged 54. Mr. Willis was a member of the firm of Willis and Southall, an alderman, and a justice of the peace for the city. A native of Gloucestershire, he had resided in Norwich for a quarter of a century. It was through his advocacy that the Artisans’ Dwellings Act was put into force in Norwich, and the rookeries in St. Paul’s were demolished. He also interested himself in the matter of the gas supply, and vigorously protested against what he conceived to be the unjust treatment of the citizens by the Gas Company. He married, in 1870, the only daughter of Mr. Colmam, of Stoke Holy Cross, and sister of Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P.
February 3rd 1888
In pursuance of requisition a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council was held for the purpose of considering a notice for rescinding a resolution passed on January 17th in relation to Anguish’s Charity, namely, “That this Council gives its cordial support to a proposal of the Charity Commissioners to utilise the funds of the Norwich Charities for the purposes of technical education.” Colonel Bignold moved, “That no application of the funds of Anguish’s and the allied charities can be satisfactory to this Council which is not strictly in accordance with the will of Thomas Anguish confirmed and settled by Royal Charter in 1629, namely, for the sustentation, relief, and maintenance, as well as the teaching, of all very poor children born and brought up in the city of Norwich.” This resolution was adopted at an adjourned meeting on the 7th, and a committee appointed “to consider the present position of the trust, and, if necessary, to confer with the Charity Trustees, and still further, if necessary, to communicate with the Commissioners.” On the 28th the Special Committee submitted the following suggestions to the Council for approval:—“(1) That in any scheme which may be submitted by the Charity Trustees to the Commissioners a sum not exceeding £200 per annum be set aside for the purposes of technical education out of the Boys’ Hospital. (2) That the residue of the fund be devoted to the sustentation, relief, maintenance, and elementary education of as many boys as the money will provide for. (3.) That if considered within the meaning of the trust this committee would be willing to accept a scheme of maintenance other than that provided for by the Home.” Meanwhile the Trustees submitted amended proposals, but on March 20th the Council adopted those drawn up by the Special Committee. (_See_ January 21st, 1896).
February 7th 1888
The members of the Norwich and Norfolk Conservative Club having vacated their former premises on the Walk for larger and more convenient quarters in St. Giles’ Street, held a meeting, at which an inaugural address was delivered by Mr. S. Hoare, M.P. The newly-acquired premises formed originally a portion of the Norfolk’ Hotel, and adjoining was a large and handsome banqueting room, which for several years afterwards was used for Conservative gatherings and other purposes.
February 9th 1888
The first of a series of “Science Lectures for the People,” delivered under the auspices of the Norwich Corporation through the instrumentality of the Gilchrist Educational Trust, was given at St. Andrew’s Hall by Sir Robert Stawell Ball, Astronomer Royal of Ireland, on “The Wonders of the Midnight Sky.” The second lecture, entitled “A Bank Holiday in the Country,” was delivered on February 21st by the Rev. W. Tuckwell, M.A., rector of Stockton, and late Fellow of New College, Oxford. (_See_ January 14th, 1889.)
February 11th 1888
A notorious poacher, named Robert Large, undergoing three months’ hard labour for an assault on a police-constable, effected his escape from the New Prison at Norwich, in company with another prisoner named Annison. The latter was arrested at Martham on the 16th, and on the following day Large was re-taken.
February 24th 1888
A heavy fall of snow occurred, and on the 25th the ground was covered to the depth of several inches.
March 1st 1888
Jim Mace, “retired champion of the world,” appeared at Norwich Theatre in a series of exhibition sparring contests with Wolf Bendoff, Pooley Mace, and Mike Jennett. The entertainment was repeated on the 2nd and 3rd.
March 3rd 1888
Lord Harris, Under-Secretary for War and chairman of the Grand Council, addressed a Primrose League meeting held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
March 6th 1888
Hengler’s Grand Cirque opened at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
March 8th 1888
Died, at his residence, St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, Mr. Charles Suckling Gilman, in his 81st year. Mr. Gilman for many years spent an active and busy life in the city. He initiated the Norwich Law Students’ Amicable Society, founded the Norfolk and Norwich Aquatic Club, whose members at one time engaged in rowing contests with the crews of the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge; and aided the inauguration of the Norwich Athenæum. In 1834 Mr. Gilman founded the Militia Substitute Insurance Association, and after the memorable hailstorm in August, 1843, he established the General Hailstorm Insurance Society. In 1846 he became the leading promoter and secretary of the Norwich Mutual Marine Insurance Society, in 1849 he founded the Norfolk Farmers’ Cattle Insurance Society, and in 1856 assisted his son, Mr. C. R. Gilman, in the formation of the Norwich and London Accident Insurance Association. Mr. Gilman was the last surviving member of the Norwich Corporation of pre-Reform days, having been elected for the Wymer Ward in March, 1830. For some time he was a member of the new Corporation, a revising assessor and member of the old Court of Guardians, and a member of the old Paving Commission. Mr. Gilman was engaged with Mr. Joseph John Gurney and others in founding and organizing the Norwich District Visiting Society, and was one of the oldest life governors of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, and a member of the Festival Committee and of the Committees of the Blind Institution, the Norfolk and Norwich Eye Infirmary, the Norfolk and Norwich Dispensary, and the Jenny Lind Infirmary. With Mr. John Henry Gurney and Sir Samuel Bignold, he took an active part in the formation of the original Norwich Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Gilman was descended from an old Norfolk family which goes back into the sixteenth century, and one of his maternal ancestors was the great Norfolk hero, Nelson.
March 8th 1888
The first of a series of “Health Lectures for the People,” arranged by the Corporation of Norwich, was delivered at Prince’s Street Lecture Hall by Mr. S. H. Burton. The subject was “Healthy Homes and how to keep them so.” On the 15th Mr. Donald Day lectured on “Foods and Drinks,” and on the 22nd Dr. S. J. Barton on “Personal Health.”
March 10th 1888
The silver wedding of the Prince and Princess of Wales was celebrated in Norwich and the county. Congratulatory addresses were adopted by the Corporations of Norwich, Yarmouth, and Lynn; and on April 2nd the citizens of Norwich presented their Royal Highnesses with replicas of portions of the Corporation plate. Presents were also given by the tenants on the Sandringham estate and by the West Norfolk Hunt. In commemoration of the event the Mayor and Sheriff of Norwich (Mr. Harmer and Mr. Bagshaw) entertained 950 of the aged poor of the city to dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall; and on August 24th Mr. Samuel Hoare, M.P., gave a treat to the inmates of the Workhouse.
March 22nd 1888
Died, at his residence, Willow Lane, Norwich, Mr. Charles Goodwin, formerly house surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Mr. Goodwin held important posts in connection with other city charities, and was on the commission of the peace for Norwich.
March 23rd 1888
At the Norwich Police Court, Mr. Edward Burgess, accompanied by several members of the committee of the Unemployed Relief Fund, applied for the issue of a summons for libel against the Norwich District Visiting Society and the editor of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE. The newspaper had published an article in which the committee were referred to “as certain persons who are not entitled to constitute themselves almoners of the general public as an excuse for pursuing their favourite policy of sending round the hat and beating a drum in the manner of other mountebanks.” This article had been reprinted and circulated by the officers of the Visiting Society. The magistrates were of opinion that the article was not libellous, and dismissed the application.
April 1st 1888
Died suddenly, at his residence, Bank Plain, Norwich, Mr. Arthur Preston, solicitor. He was the youngest son of Mr. John Preston, of Great Yarmouth (who was twice Mayor of that borough), and was born on July 3rd, 1819. After serving his articles with Mr. Roger Kerrison he was admitted a solicitor in 1842, and from 1844 to 1864, when Mr. Kerrison died, he was in partnership with him. Mr. Preston was appointed Clerk to the Burials Board in 1861, and held the office until his death; he had been a director of the Norwich Union Life Insurance Society since 1867, and president since 1885; and he was the Norwich solicitor to the British Gas Light Company, Limited, to which office he was appointed in 1864. Mr. Preston was twice married—in 1854 to Maria, daughter of Mr. Robert Waters, and in 1869 to Louisa Jane, daughter of the Rev. J. Culling Evans, of Stoke Pogis, Buckinghamshire. He left a family of five sons and three daughters.
April 1st 1888
An outbreak of fire at West Beckham Workhouse caused damage to the amount of £1,500.
April 5th 1888
The proceedings of the Norwich Diocesan Conference commenced at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, and concluded on the 6th.
April 16th 1888
The E and D Troops of the 19th (Princess of Wales’ Own) Hussars marched from Norwich Cavalry Barracks for Hampton Court and Kensington. The remaining troops left on the 26th, on which day three troops of the 20th Hussars marched in under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Blake.
April 21st 1888
“A party of emigrants, numbering sixty, from parishes in the neighbourhood of Diss, have left this week for Canada.”
April 28th 1888
Died, at 19, Hanover Terrace, Ladbroke Square, London, Lieut.-Colonel George Black, formerly Chief Constable of Norfolk, in his 79th year. It was on October 20th, 1852, that Colonel (then Captain) Black, a half-pay officer of the Royal Staff Corps, who had seen service as adjutant in Canada, was appointed to the command of the Norfolk Constabulary, and he held the post until the autumn of 1880, when he retired on a pension. For sixteen or seventeen years Colonel Black held the command of the Norwich Rifle Battalion in succession to Colonel Brett. At the funeral, which took place at Willesden Cemetery on May 2nd, the coffin was borne to the grave by six superintendents of the Norfolk Constabulary.
May 2nd 1888
Nine cottages were destroyed by fire at Hockering. Most of the furniture and belongings of the occupants were consumed, and a public subscription was opened for the relief of the sufferers.
May 19th 1888
The Norfolk Artillery Volunteer Brigade went into camp at Yarmouth under the command of Lieut.-Colonel H. M. Leathes.
May 22nd 1888
Died, at Norwich, Mr. John Betts, in his 89th year. The head of a large wholesale and retail drapery establishment, he was appointed Sheriff in 1844, elected Mayor in 1845, and placed on the commission of the peace in 1848.
May 24th 1888
Died, at Bracondale, Norwich, Major-General James Cockburn, formerly of the 79th Cameron Highlanders, aged 77. He was second son of Major-General James Patteson Cockburn, of the Royal Artillery, and was born in Norwich when his father was stationed there in 1810. After serving in Canada he received the appointment of staff officer of pensioners in the Norwich District, from which post he retired in 1877. General Cockburn was a justice of the peace for the city, and vice-president of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society.
May 24th 1888
The members of the British Dairy Farmers’ Association arrived at Trowse railway station, and visited Carrow Abbey, where they were entertained to luncheon by Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P. After inspecting the Whitlingham herd, they proceeded to Norwich, and held a conference at the Agricultural Hall. In the evening the members dined at the Royal Hotel under the presidency of Mr. Clare Sewell Read; and on the 25th proceeded by train to King’s Lynn and Sandringham.
May 30th 1888
The Earl of Leicester presided at a public meeting at Norwich, and made an eloquent appeal on behalf of a fund for the enlargement and reconstruction of the Blind Institution. The cost of the proposed work was estimated at £4,000. (_See_ October 16th, 1891.)
June 12th 1888
An inter-county match between teams of twenty men each took place on the occasion of the annual meeting at Yarmouth of the Norfolk Volunteer Service Association. Total scores: Suffolk, 1,711; Lincolnshire, 1,697; Norfolk, 1,652; Essex, 1,557.
June 18th 1888
The staff of the 4th Battalion Norfolk Regiment left Yarmouth and took up their quarters at the Infantry Depot known as the Britannia Barracks, Norwich.
June 19th 1888
The Norwich Town Council adopted an address of condolence with the Queen and with the Empress of Germany on the death of the German Emperor. Similar addresses were passed by the Corporations of Yarmouth and Lynn.
June 21st 1888
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association opened at East Dereham. Mr. R. T. Gurdon, M.P., presided at the luncheon. The show was continued on the 22nd.
June 28th 1888
The church of St. Thomas, Heigham, was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. The building was designed by Mr. Ewan Christian, of London, and erected by Mr. G. E. Hawes, at the total cost of £6,600.
June 30th 1888
Dr. S. J. Barton was elected an honorary physician of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital in place of Sir Peter Eade, who retired from the post of senior physician. Dr. Beverley was elected honorary surgeon to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Mr. T. W. Crosse.
July 5th 1888
A severe thunderstorm, accompanied by heavy rain and hail, occurred in Norfolk.
July 7th 1888
Died, at East Dereham, Mr. Samuel Bates, who was born in that town in 1789. He started in business in the Market Place in 1814, and was a subscriber to the dinner held in 1815 on the occasion of the celebration of peace. In 1809 he witnessed and took part in the festivities connected with the Jubilee of George III., and seventy-seven years later participated in the celebration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
July 9th 1888
The Mayor (Mr. F. W. Harmer) opened, at the rooms of the Norwich Art Circle, Queen Street, a loan collection of works by John Sell Cotman.
July 14th 1888
“Lieut.-Colonel William Earle Gascoyne Lytton Bulwer is gazetted to the command of the Eastern Counties Volunteer Brigade.”
July 21st 1888
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Deputy-Mayor (Sir Harry Bullard), a local branch was established of the National Association for the Employment of Reserve and Discharged Soldiers.
July 21st 1888
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Volunteer Battalions of the Norfolk Regiment went into camp at Great Yarmouth. The marching in state was 2,000.
July 24th 1888
The Fellows of the Huguenot Society of London held their summer conference at Norwich. The proceedings were continued on the 25th.
August 6th 1888
The Norwich Cricket Week commenced on this date, and concluded on the 11th. The principal match of the week was Norfolk _v._ Parsees. Scores: Norfolk, 138–73; Parsees, 78–129. Sir Kenneth Kemp’s amateur theatrical company appeared at the Theatre on the 8th in “The Porter’s Knot” and “To Oblige Benson”; on the 10th the comedy was repeated, and a “Cups and Saucers” was produced as an after-piece.
August 10th 1888
Upwards of 10,000 people were present at a Primrose League _fête_ given at Houghton Park by Mr. E. Kenyon-Stow. Addresses were delivered by Lord Henry Bentinck, M.P., Mr. Weston Jarvis, M.P., and Mr. Whitmore, M.P.
August 18th 1888
Died, at Norwich, Mr. Henry Stevenson, F.L.S. He was the youngest son of Mr. Seth William Stevenson, and was born at Surrey Street, Norwich, March 30th, 1833. Educated at King’s College School, London, he became, on attaining his majority, a co-partner in the proprietorship of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, and at the age of 22 was elected honorary secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum, a position which he filled with marked ability to the close of his life. Volume I. of his standard work, “The Birds of Norfolk,” was published in December, 1866, and Volume II. in September, 1870; and Volume III. was in course of publication at the time of his death. His other literary work included a memoir of his friend, the Rev. Richard Lubbock, M.A., rector of Eccles, published with a revised edition of Lubbock’s “Fauna of Norfolk,” edited by Mr. T. Southwell (1879), and numerous contributions to the Transactions of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists’ Society, of which he was one of the founders, and filled the office of president in 1871–72. Mr. Stevenson was appointed Sheriff of Norwich in 1875. He married, in 1856, Eliza Dangerfield, stepdaughter of Mr. Edward Slater, who died from injuries received in a carriage accident on July 17th, 1862; his second wife was Ann Emilia, eldest daughter of Mr. Wm. Self, surgeon, of Hackney.
August 30th 1888
Lord Walsingham killed to his own gun, on his small moor at Blubberhouses, Yorkshire, 1,058 grouse. Of these, 1,036 were taken home the same night, and 22 were picked up the following day. “The record of his having killed 842 grouse to his own gun on August 28th, 1872, had been so freely disputed by many persons, who professed to regard it as a physical impossibility, that it was his lordship’s intention to prove more could be accomplished.”
September 6th 1888
Died, at Ormesby Lodge, Sir Edmund Henry Knowles Lacon, Bart. He was the eldest son of Sir Edmund Knowles Lacon, and his wife, Eliza Dixon, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Mr. Thomas Beecroft, of Sculthorpe Hall. Born August 14th, 1807, he was educated at Eton and Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he took his B.A. in 1828 and his M.A. degree in 1831. In 1839 he married Eliza Georgiana, daughter of Mr. James Esdale Hammet, of Battersea. He succeeded to the baronetcy in 1839. Sir Edmund was first returned to Parliament for the borough of Yarmouth in 1852. At the next General Election, in March, 1857, Mr. McCallagh and Mr. E. A. Watkin gained the representation of the constituency by a narrow majority over Sir Edmund and his colleague, the Hon. Charles Smyth Vereker, son of Viscount Gort. A petition was presented, and a Committee of the House of Commons declared the election void. Thereupon Sir Edmund issued an address, but subsequently followed the example of Mr. Vereker, and retired, so that Serjeant (afterwards Mr. Justice) Mellor and Mr. Adolphus W. Young had a walk-over. On the dissolution taking place in 1859 he and Sir Henry Stracey defeated Messrs. Watkin and Young; a petition and enquiry followed, but they were declared duly elected. In 1865 Sir Henry Stracey retired, leaving Sir Edmund with Mr. James Goodson as his colleague, and both were returned in opposition to Mr. Alexander Brogden and Mr. Philip Vanderbyl, who presented a petition, which, though the sitting members were undisturbed, resulted in the Committee reporting that they had reason to believe corrupt practices had prevailed. A Royal Commission and the disfranchisement of the borough followed. Then came the Reform and Redistribution Acts of 1868, under which the county of Norfolk was divided into three parts, and Yarmouth was merged in the Northern Division. At the first election under the new arrangement Sir Edmund Lacon and his colleague, the Hon. Frederick Walpole, were returned, notwithstanding the powerful opposition of the Liberal party, who had brought forward Mr. Edmond R. Wodehouse and Mr. R. T. Gurdon. A petition was presented, and failed. In 1869 Sir Edmund was presented by his constituents with a piece of silver plate weighing 900 ozs., and valued at upwards of £600, in recognition of his services to the Conservative cause. In 1874 he and Mr. Walpole were returned unopposed, and in 1880 there was again no contest, when Sir Edmund and Mr. (afterwards Sir Edward) Birkbeck were elected on the death of Colonel Duff, who had succeeded Mr. Walpole. Under the redistribution scheme of 1885 Yarmouth was allowed one member, but at the next General Election Sir Edmund retired, and Sir H. W. Tyler was elected in his stead. Sir Edmund Lacon was senior partner in the banking firm of Lacons, Youells, and Co., and in the extensive brewery of Lacons and Co. On the death of Lord Sondes in 1875 he was appointed High Steward of Yarmouth; he was a Deputy Lieutenant for Norfolk and a magistrate for Norfolk and Suffolk. Sir Edmund was formerly Colonel Commandant, and at the time of his death Honorary Colonel, of the East Norfolk Militia.
September 9th 1888
A serious fire occurred at the Orchard Street Saw Mills, Norwich, occupied by Messrs. Cunnington Bros, timber merchants. Considerable damage was done to the machinery and stock-in-trade, and a large building was destroyed.
September 11th 1888
The detachment of Royal Engineers, who had for ten years been engaged on the Ordnance Survey, left Norwich for York. The work in Norfolk was completed in 1883, and it was found that very little alteration was needed in the map drawn thirty or forty years previously. The survey of the northern half of Cambridgeshire was then commenced and was completed in 1885; this was followed by the survey of a portion of Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, including the city of Peterborough; and finally the southern half of Lincolnshire, which was finished in April, 1887. The detachment, including women and children, numbered 120, and the official papers, books, &c., weighed between 30 and 40 tons. The first commanding officer was Captain Macpherson, who was succeeded by Captain Day and by Major Washington.
September 20th 1888
The new Hospital, erected at Dene Side, Yarmouth, was publicly opened by Sir James Paget, the distinguished physician, a native of the town. The total cost of the institution was estimated at £10,750.
October 19th 1888
A great Conservative demonstration took place at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in connection with a conference of the Eastern Division of the National Union of Conservative Associations. Lord Walsingham presided, and Sir John Gorst, Q.C., M.P., Under Secretary for India, was the principal speaker.
November 2nd 1888
Died, Sir Lewis Whincop Jarvis, in his 72nd year. He was a son of Mr. Lewis Weston Jarvis, and a grandson of Mr. Robert T. Whincop, a former Town Clerk of Lynn. For more than fifty years he carried on business as a banker and solicitor in his native town of Lynn, and on January 15th, 1878, received the honour of knighthood in recognition of the many eminent services he had rendered to the borough. He married, in 1850, Emma, daughter of Mr. Alexander Bowker, by whom he left issue five sons and a daughter. Sir Lewis was an alderman of Lynn, and was Mayor for three successive years, 1860–63.
November 9th 1888
At the meeting of the Norwich Town Council Mr. Alexander Robert Chamberlin was elected Mayor of the city, but upon his declining to qualify Mr. Joshua Farrar Ranson was chosen. Mr. George White was appointed Sheriff.
November 9th 1888
The Marquis of Salisbury was appointed High Steward of the borough of Great Yarmouth.
November 10th 1888
The Gorleston lifeboat, the Refuge, was capsized whilst upon salvage service, and of her crew four were drowned.
November 13th 1888
Mr. Harry Furniss delivered at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, a lecture on “Art and Artists.”
November 15th 1888
Upton church, which had been restored at the cost of £1,122, was re-opened by the Bishop of Norwich.
November 26th 1888
At Blofield Petty Sessions, Jeremiah Cozens Wiley, farmer, of Little Plumstead; Samuel Rose, farm steward; William Feek and Thomas Powley, labourers, of the same place, were summoned on the information of John Ford, an inspector of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, for “unlawfully ill-treating and torturing 16 bullocks by dishorning them on October 8th and 15th.” Mr. Colam, barrister-at-law, prosecuted on behalf of the society, and Mr. H. J. Gidney, of Aylsham, defended. The case excited great interest, and the court was crowded by a large number of scientific witnesses and leading agriculturists. The act of dishorning the animals was admitted by the defendants, and in support of the contention of the prosecution that the operation was unnecessary and cruel were called Professor Walley, principal of the Edinburgh Veterinary College; Professor McCall, principal of the Glasgow Veterinary College; Professor F. Collins, F.R.C.V.S., Mr. G. A. Lepper, F.R.C.V.S, Professor Pritchard, President of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, London; Mr. Cox, F.R.C.V.S., Professor J. McQueen, and several local veterinary surgeons. It was urged in defence that the operation, although painful, was necessary and humane, because it prevented cattle injuring each other with their horns. Several prominent agriculturists and graziers, including Mr. Clare Sewell Read, Mr. B. B. Sapwell, and Mr. William Case, gave evidence in support of this view. The magistrates dismissed the informations, and the chairman (Mr. Edward Gilbert) said “they considered the operation a most painful one, but they did not suppose that Mr. Wiley did it with any cruel intention towards the animals on which the operation was performed. If it went forth to the public that it was advisable to have polled cattle it would be seen also that it was advisable that the animals should be operated upon at an earlier stage.” (_See_ April 16th, 1889.)
November 29th 1888
Mr. J. L. Toole commenced a three nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre as Mr. Milliken, M.A., in the comedy of “The Don.” The pieces produced on the 30th and on December 1st were “The Butler,” “The Spitalfields Weaver,” “Paul Pry,” and “Ici On Parle Français.”
December 1st 1888
The weather was very mild at this date. “That 1888 will be noted as an extraordinary year in the meteorological annals of this country is a fact requiring no demonstration—snow in harvest and blossoming primroses in the open air on the eve of December, February rains throughout the summer months, and March gales in November.” A correspondent, writing to “The Times,” on December 3rd, stated: “I am still supplied with green peas grown in my garden at Brundall, the roses are all in flower; the fields abound in primroses and wild flowers.” The cuckoo was said to have been heard at North Elmham on December 6th. In Norwich primroses and other vernal flowers were in full bloom on Christmas eve, and strawberries were gathered at Swainsthorpe on Christmas morning.
December 5th 1888
The Prince of Wales and Prince George of Wales arrived at Didlington Hall on a visit to Mr. W. A. Tyssen Amherst, M.P., and left on the 8th.
December 10th 1888
Lieut.-Colonel Foster was presented with a gold watch, subscribed for by past and present members of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment, on his retirement from the corps, after twenty-five years’ service.
December 22nd 1888
A public inquiry was held at the Guildhall Norwich, by Mr. Charles Chapman, Assistant Commissioner under the Royal Commission on market rates and tolls, into the circumstances of markets and fairs in the city. Statements were made by many of the leading citizens. A similar inquiry was held at Yarmouth.
December 29th 1888
The Norfolk County Club, whose quarters were originally at the Royal Hotel, and subsequently in St. Giles’ Street, having purchased the old Bank House, Upper King Street, Norwich, the reconstruction of the premises for the purposes of the club was completed on this date under the superintendence of Mr. Edward Boardman. The house was formerly the residence of Mr. Anthony Hudson, and was afterwards known as Greyfriars’ College.
December 31st 1888
Mr. Henry Birkbeck, on the completion of the fiftieth year of his connection with the banking-house of Gurneys, Birkbecks, Barclay, and Buxtons, “the Norwich and Norfolk Bank,” was presented by the managers and clerks with a silver salver in commemoration of the event.