January 6th 1887
Dr. David George Thomson, senior medical officer of the Surrey Asylum, was appointed by the Norfolk county magistrates Medical Superintendent of the County Asylum at Thorpe, in place of Dr. Hills, resigned. The Court granted Dr. Hills a superannuation allowance of £600 per annum. At the Easter Sessions resolutions were presented by thirteen unions, protesting against the allowance as an excessive burden upon the county rates.
January 14th 1887
A serious riot occurred in Norwich Market Place. A crowd of unemployed workmen, harangued by two Socialists, named Mowbray and Henderson, who suggested that they could not starve, and that they must procure food for themselves, became a disorderly mob, and under the leadership of the agitators, made a raid upon several shops on the Walk. The ringleaders, with two men, named Hurrell and Hall, were apprehended, and committed for trial. The case came before Mr. Justice Grantham at the Assizes on the 21st, when Mowbray was sentenced to nine months’, Henderson to four months’, Hall to one month’s, and Hurrell to one week’s imprisonment, with hard labour. A similar disturbance on a minor scale took place at Yarmouth at about the same date. Owing to inflammatory placards distributed during the month of September, the Chief Constable of Norwich, on October 1st, applied to the magistrates for power to raise a force of 200 special constables. On October 11th the required number were sworn in, and informed that their active services would not be required except on a special summons from the magistrates.
January 25th 1887
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Grantham, was tried the action, the Corporation of Norwich _v._ Coxe. In this case the Corporation sued the Rev. Dr. Coxe, one of the sureties of Mr. E. S. Steward, the late City Treasurer, to recover from him the sum of £1,000, for which amount he was bond. On behalf of the defendant it was urged that the auditors were remiss in passing accounts that were incorrect, and the judge made strong comments upon the loose manner in which they did their work. The jury gave a verdict for the defendant.
February 8th 1887
Mr. Archibald Forbes delivered a lecture, at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, on “Ten Years of War Correspondence.”
February 12th 1887
A shocking murder was committed at Kenninghall Workhouse. Jonas Rivett, an inmate, aged 71, stabbed Henry Baker, a ward attendant, in the neck, severing his windpipe and jugular vein. At the combined Norfolk and Norwich Assizes, held at Ipswich, on April 20th, before Mr. Justice Field, the prisoner was found guilty and sentenced to death. He was subsequently respited, and removed to Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum.
February 17th 1887
Died, at Syleham, in her 100th year, Lucy Steggall, widow of Robert Steggall.
February 24th 1887
Died, at Cannes, Mr. John Gurney, of Sprowston Hall, Deputy-Mayor of Norwich. On retiring in November, 1886, from the office of Mayor of the city he sought relaxation on the shores of the Mediterranean. A severe shock of earthquake, which occurred at Cannes at the time of his visit, is supposed to have told upon his highly sensitive and nervous organization, and to have indirectly caused his death. Mr. Gurney was the eldest son of Mr. John Gurney, of Earlham Hall, and grandson of Mr. Samuel Gurney, of West Ham. He was born on December 11th, 1845, and educated at Harrow, whence he proceeded to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took his B.A. degree in 1866. The following year he became a member of the firm of Gurneys, Birkbecks, Barclay, and Buxton. In 1871 he married Isabel Charlotte, daughter of Mr. R. Blake-Humfrey, of Wroxham. Mr. Gurney, who was afflicted with blindness, was one of the most liberal benefactors of Norwich, and was greatly esteemed by the citizens.
March 11th 1887
Norfolk, in common with other parts of the country, was visited by a severe spell of wintry weather.
March 15th 1887
A dispute between smackowners and smacksmen at Yarmouth ended on this date. Differences had arisen over the substitution by the former of the share system for the old plan of payment by wages and poundage. The strike was beginning to have a disastrous effect upon trade, and was ended by an amicable arrangement.
March 18th 1887
Died, at Stirling, Mr. J. F. Young, for many years a favourite actor upon the Norwich stage. Mr. Young was widely known as a member of the original “Caste” Company. He had been lessee of both Norwich and Yarmouth Theatres, and was greatly respected in private and professional circles.
March 21st 1887
The action, Stanley _v._ the Mayor and Corporation of Norwich and the Attorney-General, was tried in the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice, before Mr. Justice Kekewich. This case raised the question of the right of the freemen to receive in perpetuity the rents of the Town Close Estate, a valuable plot of land of about 100 acres in extent, which was conveyed to the city in 1524 by the Prior of Norwich. It was contended on the part of the plaintiffs that this land became vested in the Corporation for the exclusive benefit of the freemen, the terms in the original grant “citizens” and “commonalty” being synonymous with “freemen.” Mr. Justice Kekewich concurred in this contention, gave judgment for the plaintiffs, and ordered the costs of the action to be borne by the estate. (_See_ January 23rd, 1888.)
March 23rd 1887
A remarkable sale by auction was held at Leziate under a warrant of distress for the non-payment of tithe. “Mr. W. H. Boyce, of Holt House Farm, having made up his mind to object on principle to the payment of the tithe rent charged by the Rev. A. J. Groom, rector of Ashwicken-cum-Leziate, and having also failed to induce the rector or his legal agent to make any abatement of the amount due, namely, £42 8s., a warrant of distress was issued, under which seizure was made of ten homebred steers, two cows in calf, and part of a stack of hay. The sale was conducted by Mr. W. B. Lane. It was carried out in quite an amicable manner, and the humour of the thing was enhanced by Mr. Boyce providing luncheon for those in attendance. The auctioneer had sold up to a certain point, when he announced that his duty was done, but Mr. Boyce gave him a commission to go on selling as long as he liked. This he accordingly did with excellent results. At the conclusion of the action Mr. Boyce thanked his friends for the way in which they had acted, expressed his objections to tithes in general, and the present claim in particular, and afterwards entertained several of his friends at dinner.”
April 5th 1887
In the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court of Justice, before Mr. Baron Pollock and Mr. Justice Stephen, a petition was presented by Mr. Joseph Arch against the return of Lord Henry Bentinck as member for North-West Norfolk, on July 9th, 1886. The petitioner alleged that the respondent was guilty of an illegal practice in paying the sum of £3 to Charles Wacey, of South Creake, in respect of expenses in the conduct or management of the election. The money was sent in a letter from Guist Hall, where Lord Henry Bentinck was staying, on January 20th. The letter was as follows:—“Dear Mr. Wacey—I enclose you a little present as some small compensation for the trouble and worry you have had in connection with the election and afterward. I am much obliged to you for all you have done, and I hope you will continue to help us in the future in the same able and energetic manner in which you have done in the past. Yours truly, Henry Bentinck. P.S. You had better not tell anyone that I sent you anything.” This letter miscarried, and was delivered not to Charles Wacey, but to Thomas Wacey, who belonged to the party represented by Mr. Arch. Thomas Wacey ultimately forwarded the postal orders contained in the letter to Charles Wacey, who cashed them and kept the proceeds. It was contended on the part of the respondent that the payment made in January, 1887, had no relation whatever to the conduct or management of the election in July, 1886. The money was paid on account of registration services, and the injunction of secrecy was made because to have paid all the district secretaries would have involved the respondent in an expenditure of £100. The petition was dismissed with costs.
April 10th 1887
A new organ, built at the cost of £450, was opened at St. Gregory’s church, Norwich.
April 14th 1887
The Norwich Diocesan Conference commenced at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop. The proceedings were concluded on the 15th.
April 18th 1887
An “Old World Exhibition” was opened at Blackfriars’ Hall, Norwich, by the Mayor, in aid of a fund for rebuilding the tower of St. Michael-at-Thorn. This remarkable collection, chronologically arranged by the Rev. W. F. Creeny, was of great historical and educational interest, and was contributed to by many of the leading residents in county and city. The exhibition closed on April 30th.
May 14th 1887
The currency question was discussed by the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, and a resolution adopted expressing alarm at the daily increasing difficulty experienced by the agricultural classes in obtaining money with which to meet their obligations, asserting the belief that “an increase in the circulating medium would lessen that difficulty,” and urging the Government “to respond to the invitation of the great Powers who had asked this country to join with them in restoring to the peoples the free coinage and use of silver money.” The following resolution was also adopted:—“Although currency may in some way affect the prosperity of trade and agriculture in this country, it is the opinion of this Chamber that the main cause of the depression is the influx of foreign produce to the ruin of the English producer and the employment of foreign labour in the place of English labour.”
May 14th 1887
Died, at Thorpe Hamlet, Norwich, Mr. George Alden Stevens, solicitor, in low 57th year. An entirely self-made man, he rose by perseverance and integrity to become a partner in the firm of Miller and Son. He was an ardent politician, and for several years argent to the Liberal party, and the constant adviser of Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett throughout his chequered experiences on the hustings and in the election courts. Mr. Stevens was a member of the Town Council, and an alderman, and it was largely due to his generosity and zeal that Chapel Field was transformed from a barren and useless waste into a beautiful garden.
May 18th 1887
Died, at Gladstone Street, Norwich, George Wilde, aged 62, the last survivor in the city of the famous light cavalry charge at Balaclava. Wilde was a private in the 13th Light Dragoons, and in the charge his horse was killed and himself wounded. He was in receipt of a pension of thirteen pence per day.
May 18th 1887
The Prince of Wales visited Yarmouth and laid the foundation-stone of the new hospital. On the 19th his Royal Highness inspected the 2nd Brigade Eastern Division Royal Artillery, and in the evening attended a ball given by the officers.
May 24th 1887
The Queen’s birthday was celebrated in Norwich by a review on Mousehold Heath of the 19th (Princess of Wales’ Own) Hussars, the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment, and the 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment. The Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard) gave a banquet at Blackfriars’ Hall in the evening. Earlier in the day his worship and the Sheriff (Mr. F. Oddin Taylor) entertained the inmates of the Workhouse.
May 25th 1887
An “anti-coercion demonstration,” held under the auspices of the National Liberal Federation, was addressed at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, by Mr. John Morley, M.P.
June 1st 1887
Died, at Yarmouth, where he had resided four years, the Rev. Joseph Philip Knight, the composer of many popular songs. The youngest son of the Rev. Francis Knight, D.D., he was born at the Vicarage, Bradford-on-Avon, on July 26th, 1812. His love for music displayed itself at an early age, and at fifteen he began to devote himself to the study of harmony and composition. When about twenty Mr. Knight composed his first six songs under the name of Philip Mortimer. Among these were “Old times,” sung by Henry Philips, and “Go, forget me,” extremely popular both in this country and in Germany. After this he used his own name, and, in company with Haynes Bayly, produced a number of highly successful songs, amongst which the most famous were “Of what is the Old Man thinking?” “The Veteran,” “Days Gone By,” “The Grecian Daughter,” and “She wore a Wreath of Roses.” He subsequently composed the song and duet to the words written for him by Thomas Moore, “The Parting” and “Let’s take this World as some Wild Scene.” In 1839 Mr. Knight visited the United States, where he remained two years. To this time are due, among other popular songs, his celebrated “Rocked in the Cradle of the Deeps” sung with immense success by Braham, and “Why Chime the Bells so merrily?” On his return to England he produced “Beautiful Venice,” “Say, what shall my Song be To-night?” “The Dream” (words by the Hon. Mrs. Norton), “Amy Robsart,” and “Queen of the Silver Bow,” all more or less the rage in their day. Some years afterwards Mr. Knight married, and lived for a long time in France and Germany, doing very little in the way of composition, but on his return to England he wrote many other songs, “Peace, it is I,” “The Lost Rose,” “The Watchman,” “The Anchor,” “Where is the Place of thy Rest?” and the duet, “Where the Roses Grow,” all of which, enjoyed great popularity. His songs, duets, and trios number 225.
June 4th 1887
Queen Kapiolani, and the heiress presumptive to the Hawaiian Throne, the Princess Lilivokalani, consort and sister respectively of Kalakana, King of Hawaii, on a visit to England for the purpose of attending the celebration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria, arrived at Rackheath Hall, where they were entertained as the guests of Captain and Mrs. Steward. During the stoppage of the train at Trowse station, the visitors were waited upon by the Mayor and Mayoress of Norwich (Mr. and Mrs. Bullard), who were attended by the Town Clerk and other civic officials. On the 5th (Sunday) the Queen and Princess attended service at the Cathedral, at which the Mayor, Sheriff, and members of the Town Council were present; and on the 6th they visited the Cathedral, St. Andrew’s Hall, St. Peter Mancroft church, and the Castle, and were entertained to luncheon at the Guildhall by the Mayor and Mayoress. In the afternoon they proceeded to Pine Banks, Thorpe, and were entertained by Mr. I. O. Howard Taylor. On the 6th the Queen and Princess departed for London.
June 15th 1887
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association opened at Blickling Park. The Marquis of Lothian presided at the public luncheon. The show was continued on the 16th.
June 19th 1887
The celebration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria began in Norwich on this day (Sunday) with a thanksgiving service at the Cathedral, and with special services at the Roman Catholic and other Nonconformist places of worship. The Mayor and Corporation attended the Cathedral in the morning, and Prince’s Street Congregational chapel in the evening. On the 20th a special meeting of the Town Council was held on the requisition of forty-four members, at which it was unanimously resolved to confer the honorary freedom of the city upon Mr. Harry Bullard as Mayor of Norwich. The 21st was observed as Jubilee Day. Early in the morning intelligence was telegraphed to the city that the Mayor was among the eleven chief magistrates in the kingdom who had received the honour of knighthood. The day’s proceedings commenced with a special service at the Cathedral, attended by Churchmen and Nonconformists, by a detachment of the 19th Hussars, under Colonel French, and the Norwich Artillery Volunteers and Rifle Volunteers. At noon 11,000 school children assembled in the Market Place and sang the National Anthem, after which Sir Harry and Lady Bullard were “at home” at the Guildhall, and entertained a large company to luncheon. In the afternoon there was a military parade of the 19th Hussars and Volunteers on Dix’s Land, Unthank’s Road; the school children had tea at their respective schools, and in the evening the city was illuminated and a grand display of fireworks was given on the Castle Meadow. The festivities were continued on the 22nd, when the Mayor and Sheriff entertained 1,100 of the aged poor at the Agricultural Hall, and in the evening Sir Harry and Lady Bullard gave a _soirée_ at St. Andrew’s Hall. On the 23rd the inmates of the Workhouse were entertained. The 21st was observed with great rejoicing in every town and village in the county, and the weather being beautifully fine, the proceedings were of a most successful character. The amount subscribed in Norfolk to the Women’s Jubilee offering to the Queen was £1,565 2s. 6d.
June 29th 1887
Ringland church, restored at the cost of £2,000, was re-opened.
July 13th 1887
“As You Like It” was for the first time performed locally as a “pastoral play” in the grounds of Mousehold House, Thorpe Hamlet, the residence of Mr. W. H. Hackblock. The comedy was represented by amateurs on the occasion of a garden _fête_.
July 16th 1887
The new prison on Plumstead Road, Norwich, designed by the surveyor to the Prison Department, and built by Messrs. W. and T. Denne, of Walmer, Kent, was completed on this date. The prisoners were transferred from the Castle to the new prison on August 2nd. On September 12th the Prison Commissioners gave formal possession of the Castle to the Mayor and Corporation. The late Governor (Mr. A. E Dent), in handing the keys to the Town Clerk (Mr. H. B. Miller), remarked that the Castle had for many generations—since 1345, when it was first used as a county prison, been in the hands of governors, and he was glad, as the last of that long line, to hand over the building to the Corporation to be employed for a different purpose in the future. (_See_ July 27th, 1891.)
July 20th 1887
Mr. Henry Chaplin, M.P., was the principal speaker at a great Primrose League _fête_ given in Melton Constable Park by Lord Hastings.
July 25th 1887
Died, at his resident, at Sevran, in the environs of Paris, Mr. William Bateman, aged 75. He was second son of Mr. John Bateman, of Norwich, and brother of Dr. Bateman. At the age of 29 he settled in Paris as a merchant and acquired an ample fortune. During his mercantile career Mr. Bateman established extensive commercial operations in Spain, and in 1870 King; Amadeus conferred upon him the dignity of Knight of the Order of Charles III. of Spain. Mr. Bateman married the eldest daughter of Mr. William Harrison, of Yarmouth.
July 27th 1887
The Premier (Lord Salisbury) visited Norwich. His lordship was received at Thorpe station by the High Sheriff (Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart.), the Mayor (Sir Harry Bullard), and Lieutenant-Colonel Bignold, the leader of the Conservative party in the city. Escorted by a cavalcade of fifty horsemen, among whom were several leading residents in the county and city, Lord Salisbury drove to Harford Lodge, the residence of Colonel Bignold. In the evening the Premier addressed a great meeting, held at the Agricultural Hall, under the presidency of Colonel Bignold, and at the conclusion of the proceedings travelled by special train to Coltishall, whence he drove to Horstead Hall as the guest of Sir Edward Birkbeck, M.P., and the Hon. Lady Birkbeck. Lord Salisbury returned to Norwich on the 28th, and after attending a luncheon given at the Guildhall by the Mayor, proceeded to the Agricultural Hall, where he received addresses presented by deputations from many Conservative associations in East Anglia. Having delivered a further address his lordship departed from Thorpe station by the 3.25 train for London.
August 3rd 1887
The Cricket Week theatrical performances commenced at Norwich Theatre, and were continued on the 4th and 5th. The pieces produced by Sir Kenneth Kemp’s company of amateurs were “The Parvenue” and “Woodcock’s Little Game.”
August 9th 1887
Died, at 3, Belgravia Square, Edward Fellowes, first Baron de Ramsey. His lordship, who was raised to the Peerage on July 5th, was the second son of Mr. William Fellowes, of Ramsey Abbey, Huntingdonshire, by his wife, Emma, fourth daughter of Mr. Richard Benyon, of Englefield House, Berks. He was born in 1809, and entering Parliament for Huntingdonshire in 1837, sat in the House of Commons without interruption until the General Election in 1880, when his eldest son, Captain Fellowes, succeeded to the seat which had been successfully defended against Liberal assaults during forty-three years. For more than half a century Mr. Fellowes was chairman of the Commissions which had the management of the Middle Level and Ouse Outfall Works.
August 19th 1887
Died, at Alfred Place, South Kensington, Mr. John Palgrave Simpson. He was the second son of Mr. William Simpson, Town Clerk of Norwich and Treasurer for the county of Norfolk, and of his wife Katherine, daughter of Mr. William Palgrave, of Coltishall. Intended for the Church, he was educated under a private tutor at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he took the degree of B.A., and proceeded M.A. in due course. Abandoning the idea of adopting the clerical profession, Mr. Simpson travelled on the Continent and in the East. He was in Paris when a sudden and severe reverse of fortune, consequent upon the failure of a bank, compelled him to seek means of repairing his losses. Literary occupation seemed the only course open to him, and, as he confessed, he succeeded in his efforts beyond expectation. For some years he contributed to the leading magazines—“Blackwood’s,” “Bentley’s,” “Frazer’s,” and others, and published three novels, “Second Love and other Tales,” “Gisella,” and “The Lily of Paris, or the King’s Nurse.” Mr. Simpson’s career as a writer for the stage was mainly due to accident. He seldom visited theatres, but it chanced one night that he went to the Strand Theatre, and was so pleased with the performance of William Farren, Leigh Murray, and Mrs. Stilling that he conceived the idea of writing a play for them, and the result was the comedy drama in one act, entitled “Poor Cousin Dick,” which was played with considerable success at the house on April 8th, 1850. Subsequently Mr. Simpson wrote several successful plays, the principal of which was the famous three-act comedy, “A Scrap of Paper,” produced at St. James’s Theatre on April 23rd, 1861.
September 2nd 1887
A gale, which prevailed throughout England, was severely felt on the Norfolk coast. A large number of vessels ran into Yarmouth Roads for shelter, among them H.M.S. Narcissus and her escorts Valorous and Echo. A fine vessel, the Falls of Bruar, 1,742 tons register, the property of the Glasgow Shipping Company, was wrecked, and only five hands out of the crew of twenty-nine were saved.
September 21st 1887
The Sheriff of Norwich (Mr. F. Oddin Taylor) gave a _soirée musicale_ at Blackfriars’ Hall, at which the principal performers were M. Leopold Godowsky, Miss Alexes Leighton, Senor A. Gimenez Manjon, Signor Bottesini, and Mr. Odell.
September 26th 1887
The first of many protracted discussions took place at a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, upon a report furnished by the City Engineer (Mr. P. P. Marshall) upon the state of the sewerage system of the city. The old sewers were said to be in a defective state, and it was proposed to abandon the low-level system, and to adopt the separate system with a new rising main, at an estimated cost of £78,000.
September 29th 1887
The church of St. Michael-at-Plea, Norwich, which for many years had been in a dilapidated state, was opened after restoration at the cost of £3,000.
September 29th 1887
At the annual dinner of the North Walsham and Aylsham Agricultural Association, held at North Walsham, cigarettes, made from tobacco grown in Norfolk by Sir Edward Birkbeck, M.P., were handed to the guests. The President (Lord Suffield) described the tobacco as “very good,” and said that Sir Edward, who had taken considerable interest in the experiment, “believed that its growth was really going to do something for the benefit of Norfolk farmers.”
October 4th 1887
Died, at 6, St. Augustine’s Road, Camden Square, N.W., Mr. David Fisher, who for thirty years had held a prominent position upon the London stage as a leading comedian. Mr. Fisher was born at East Dereham, which was one of the towns on the circuit of the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians, under the control of the Fisher family. Like his father, uncle, and grandfather, Mr. Fisher was highly respected in Norfolk and the sister county, and his periodical visits to the scenes of the former theatrical successes of his predecessors were always regarded with pleasure by a large circle of friends and admirers. On those occasions Mr. Fisher gave dramatic and musical recitals, in which he was assisted by his talented daughter, Miss Mary Fisher. His career in London commenced with Charles Kean at the Princess’s Theatre, where, on November 2nd, 1853, he appeared as Victor in “The Lancers.” In 1859 Mr. Benjamin Webster, then at the Adelphi, secured his services, and until 1863 Mr. Fisher performed at that Theatre with considerable success in many important parts. For a short time he severed his connection with the stage, and gave his single-handed performance, “Facts and Fancies,” at Hanover Square Rooms and St. James’s Hall. Subsequently he joined Mr. Vining’s company at the Princess’s, and afterwards appeared at Drury Lane and other leading Metropolitan theatres.
October 9th 1887
Died, the Rev. Kirby Trimmer. Born in London on December 22nd, 1804, he was the son of Joshua Kirby Trimmer, of Chiswick, eldest son of Mrs. Sarah Trimmer, the authoress. After a short residence at Vendôme, he graduated at St. Alban’s Hall, Oxford, and was ordained in February, 1829. He served the curacies of Burnham Overy, Burnham Sutton, Great Bircham, and Stanhoe, and in 1840 became curate of St. George’s Tombland, Norwich, to which living he succeeded in 1842. In the pursuit of botany, Mr. Trimmer attained to great distinction, and published the well-known, standard work, the “Flora of Norfolk.” His other literary efforts embraced a series of “Conversations” on the Thirty-nine Articles, and he interested himself greatly in the “Philological Dictionary” in course of publication at the time of his death.
October 11th 1887
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The vocalists included Madame Albani, Miss Liza Lehmann, Miss Annie Marriott, Miss Hilda Wilson, Miss Lena Little, Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Charles Wade, Mr. Barton McGucken, Mr. Santley, Mr. Alex. Marsh, Mr. Brockbank, and Mr. Barrington Foote. Mr. Alberto Randegger was conductor. The opening performance included the “Jubilee Ode,” “The Heavens Declare,” and the “Hymn of Praise.” On the morning of the 12th were produced the “Garden of Olivet” (Bottesini), a devotional oratorio composed expressly for the Festival, and conducted by the composer; and the “Stabat Mater.” On the 13th the morning performance comprised the oratorio, “Isaiah” (Mancinelli), composed expressly for the Festival, and conducted by the composer; and the “Fourth Mass” (Cherubini). The “Messiah” was given on the 14th. A miscellaneous programme was performed on the evening of the 12th; the evening performance on the 13th included “The Irish” (C. V. Stanford), conducted by the composer, and the cantata, “The Golden Legend,” composed and conducted by Sir Arthur Sullivan. The concluding performance on the evening of the 14th was the dramatic legend, “Faust.” The Festival yielded a surplus of £719 3s. 1d.
October 20th 1887
The new Town Hall at Downham Market, erected at the cost of £1,230, was opened by Mr. W. A. Tyssen Amherst, M.P.
October 21st 1887
An extensive range of premises in St. George’s Bridge Street, Norwich, formerly the drapery establishment of Mr. Henry Snowdon, was destroyed by fire. The damage was estimated at between £12,000 and £15,000.
October 25th 1887
Died, at Queen Anne’s Mansions, S.W., Sir Philip Edmond Wodehouse, G.C.S.I., K.C.B., aged 76. He was the eldest son of Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, of Sennowe Lodge, and was for many years in the Civil Service and in the Foreign and Colonial Offices.
November 7th 1887
The honorary freedom of the city of Norwich was conferred upon the Mayor (Sir Harry Bullard), and to Lady Bullard was presented a diamond crescent brooch and a hair spray of coralline pearls. In the evening a complimentary dinner was given, at the Bell Hotel, to the Mayor and to the Sheriff (Mr. F. Oddin Taylor) by the members of the Board of Guardians.
November 9th 1887
Mr. Frederick William Harmer was elected Mayor and Mr. Robert George Bagshaw appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 11th 1887
Died, at Belsfield, Windermere, Mr. Henry William Schneider, aged 70, formerly Member of Parliament for Norwich.
November 12th 1887
The old colours of the 1st Battalion Norfolk Regiment, presented to the Prince of Wales by Colonel Massy and the officers, were “laid up” in Sandringham church in the presence of his Royal Highness.
November 14th 1887
Wintry weather was experienced in Norfolk. “As many as 13 degrees of frost were registered in some places.”
November 21st 1887
The foolhardy feat of entering a cage containing five Barbary lions and two wolves, at Wombwell’s Menagerie, was performed at Norwich by a druggist named Woodcock. He went into the van under the protection of a coloured girl, who acted as “trainer” to the establishment.
November 24th 1887
The High Sheriff of Norfolk (Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart.) gave a grand county ball at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
November 29th 1887
Died, at Brighton, Mr. George Henry Christie, of Framingham, aged 76. Mr. Christie was formerly head of the eminent firm of art auctioneers established by James Christie in Old Pall Mall about the year 1762. His grandfather was the friend of Sheridan and Garrick, and Gainsborough painted a fine portrait of him. Like his father and grandfather, Mr. Christie was educated at Eton. He continued head of the firm until 1860, when he was succeeded by his son, Mr. James Henry Brooke Christie.
December 5th 1887
At a large meeting held at Blackfriars’ Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of Lieutenant-Colonel Bignold, Mr. Edward Wild was presented by the Conservative party of the city with an illuminated address expressing to him their sympathy “in the unjustifiable attack made on him in the Town Council,” and congratulating him “on his complete and triumphant refutation of the charges.” The address further stated: “They desire also to express not only as a party but as citizens their appreciation of Alderman Wild’s honourable character, and of the debt the city owes him for his long, faithful, and able services.”
December 13th 1887
A military tournament, given by the 19th (Princess of Wales’ Own) Hussars, in aid of the city charities, commenced at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, and concluded on the 17th.
December 13th 1887
Died, at Morton Hall, Mr. George Duckett Berney, in his 75th year. He was a son of Mr. Thomas Trench Berney, by his wife, Mary, daughter of Mr. Thomas Penrice, of Great Yarmouth and of Witton House, and married Catherine Mary, daughter of the Rev. Henry Lombe, of Bylaugh Hall. Mr. Berney was a justice of the peace and a Deputy-Lieutenant for the county of Norfolk, and in 1881 served the office of High Sheriff. He took a practical interest in pisciculture.