January 2nd 1885
The Hon. T. W. H. Pelham, one of the Commissioners appointed to inquire as to the boundaries to be assigned to the divisions of the several counties under the Redistribution of Seats Bill, attended at the Shirehall, Norwich, for the purpose of receiving suggestions and of hearing objections as to the constitution of the divisions of the county of Norfolk. On February 28th it was announced that the Commissioners had issued their report and had determined the areas of the six divisions into which the county would be divided, with one member to each. These were known as South, South-West, East, North, Mid, and North-West. Yarmouth and King’s Lynn were allotted one member each.
January 6th 1885
Died, at Cathedral Street, Norwich, Mrs. Emily Stannard, widow of Joseph Stannard, artist, and daughter of Daniel Coppin, aged 82. Mrs. Stannard was a clever painter of fruit, flowers, and still life. In 1821 she was presented with the large gold medal of the Society of Arts for an original painting of fruit, and in 1828 received a gold medal for a painting of game.
January 8th 1885
The coming of age of Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, eldest son of the Prince and Princess of Wales, was marked by great rejoicings not only at Sandringham, but throughout the county. Addresses and gifts were presented by the tenantry, and by the Corporations of Norwich and Lynn; Sanger’s circus company from Norwich gave performances for the amusement of the villagers; and in the evening a grand ball took place at Sandringham House. The Mayor of Norwich (Mr. John Hotblack) invited 600 children to a fancy dress ball given at St. Andrew’s Hall in honour of the event.
January 15th 1885
The Mayor and Corporation of Norwich attended at St. Andrew’s Hall to inaugurate an art loan exhibition in aid of St. Peter Mancroft church restoration fund, and of the churchyard improvement. The exhibition remained open for three weeks, and realised a balance of £517.
January 21st 1885
At the Norfolk Assizes, before the Lord Chief Justice, Mr. Hamon le Strange brought an action against the Corporation of Lynn for the purpose of determining the boundary between his fishery and the fishery of the Corporation, which were coterminous. It was alleged that the defendants wrongfully cut away and removed two buoys belonging to the plaintiff. The defendants denied the act, but subsequently justified it on the ground that the buoys were an interference with the fishery of the Corporation. The hearing concluded on the 24th, when the jury found for the plaintiff and allowed 40s. damages in order to carry costs. The defendants gave notice of motion for a new trial on the ground of misdirection of the jury. On June 24th the application was made in the Queen’s Beach Division, and was refused.
January 21st 1885
Died, at All Saints’ Green, Norwich, Thomas Frederick Armes, bugle-major of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment. Formerly in the 4th Light Dragoons, he took part in the famous light cavalry charge at Balaclava, in which he was wounded and left for dead on the field.
January 26th 1885
The Prince of Wales attended the annual meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Norfolk Freemasons at Lynn, and was present at the banquet presided over by Lord Suffield.
January 29th 1885
A widow, named Elizabeth Everitt, 50 years of age, of Wormegay, near Downham Market, was murdered by her son, William Everitt. The murderer was certified to be insane, and was removed to the Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum.
January 29th 1885
Died, at Hill House, Surlingham, Mr. Frederick Anthony Mills, in his 85th year. Born at Pulham St. Mary, where for many years his father practised as a surgeon, he received his early education under Valpy at Norwich Grammar School, and was one of the last survivors of the Valpeian Club. A taste for natural history and anatomical investigation rendered his studies when a pupil at Guy’s both congenial and promising. For some time he practised surgery in Norwich in partnership with Mr. Cadge, and after the death of his wife, settled at Surlingham with his old friend and fellow-sportsman, Mr. Robert Pratt, and indulged in his favourite pursuits of fishing and shooting. Mr. Mills was a Liberal of the old school, “but his contempt for mere party triumphs led him to speak with more pride than regret of his never having been a member of the Norwich Town Council.”
February 2nd 1885
Died, at Surrey Street, Norwich, Mrs. Louisa Mary Barwell, widow of Mr. John Barwell. She was the eldest daughter of Mr. Richard Mackenzie Bacon, and was born March 4th, 1800. In early life she showed great taste and talent in music, became one of the finest amateur singers of her day, and assisted her father in editing the “Musical Review.” In 1824 she married Mr. John Barwell, and soon afterwards contributed articles to the “Journal of Education” and other similar periodicals. Mrs. Barwell in 1833 published her first book, “Little Lessons for Little Learners.” Her works on educational subjects numbered fourteen.
February 11th 1885
The “Tichborne Claimant” (who was released from Pentonville Prison on October 20th, 1884) appeared at Sanger’s Circus, Norwich, and addressed the audience on his life and adventures. He made a second appearance on the 12th.
February 16th 1885
Sir J. W. Lubbock, M.P., and Mr. H. L. Courtney, M.P., at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, propounded the principles advocated by the Proportional Representation Society.
March 5th 1885
A “service of humiliation” was held in the nave of Norwich Cathedral, “with prayers for our nation in general and specially for our soldiers and sailors in Egypt.”
March 5th 1885
A salmon trout, weighing 4¾ lbs., was captured at Pull’s Ferry, Norwich.
March 7th 1885
At the Norfolk Adjourned Quarter Sessions, held at the Shirehall, Norwich, Mr. T. H. B. Heslop of Thames Ditton, Surrey, was appointed County Surveyor, in place of Mr. R. M. Phipson, deceased.
April 6th 1885
An English Opera Company, including Mr. Faulkner Leigh, Madame Cave-Ashton, Madame Campobello, and Mr. William Parkinson, commenced a season at Norwich Theatre in the operas of “La Sonnambula,” “The Waterman,” “Il Trovatore,” “Pygmalion and Galatea,” “Maritana,” &c. Sir Julius Benedict was announced as conductor, but in consequence of his serious illness his name was withdrawn.
April 6th 1885
The annual conference of the National Union of Elementary Teachers opened at the Lecture Hall, Prince’s Street, Norwich, and concluded on the 9th.
April 19th 1885
Died, at his residence, Heigham, Norwich, aged 84, the Rev. Frederick Field, LL.D. He graduated at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he obtained the Tyrwhitt Hebrew Scholarship, and took his Bachelor’s degree as tenth wrangler and Chancellor’s medallist. He was afterwards elected to a Fellowship, and in 1843 was instituted to the rectory of Reepham, which he held till 1863. In 1875 he was created an honorary LL.D. of Cambridge University. Dr. Field was a member of the Old Testament Revision Committee, and the editor of “Barrow’s Treatise on the Pope’s Supremacy,” and of several learned works published by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, the Clarendon Press, Oxford, and the Cambridge University Press.
April 21st 1885
Died, at Hill House, Dersingham, Captain William D’Urban Blyth, late 14th Hussars, aged 59. He was a member of an old Norfolk family, and joined his regiment, then the 14th Light Dragoons, in India in 1847. He served through the Punjaub Campaign of 1848 and 1849; and with the Central India Field Force, under Sir Hugh Rose, during the Mutiny. Captain Blyth for some time held the post of riding master in his regiment, and in addition superintended the training of 1,200 remounts for cavalry during the Crimean War. He took part in thirty-six separate engagements, and was never once wounded. On retiring from the Army he settled at Weasenham Hall, his birthplace, and subsequently at Dersingham, where he became a warm supporter of the West Norfolk Foxhounds, and a justice of the peace.
May 1st 1885
A “habitation” of the Primrose League was inaugurated at Holt at a meeting held under the presidency of Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart. This is the first record of the formation of a branch of the organization in Norfolk. The preliminary meeting was followed by a great gathering held in the same town on May 12th. Other “habitations” were quickly formed in various parts of the county.
May 9th 1885
The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture discussed the question of inaugurating a series of agricultural experiments. The committee to whom the matter had been referred reported in favour of the proposal, which had the warm support of the Prince of Wales and the Earl of Leicester. The report was adopted, and it was decided to commence experiments in the autumn. An address on the subject was delivered by Sir Thomas Acland, M.P.
May 20th 1885
The Prince of Wales arrived at Yarmouth, and on the 21st inspected the Norfolk Artillery, in which Prince Albert Victor was serving at the time. On the 22nd the Prince of Wales was to have visited Norwich for the purpose of inspecting the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment, but the parade was abandoned in consequence of the heavy rain. A ball given at Yarmouth Town Hall in the evening by the officers of the Eastern District Brigade, was attended by their Royal Highnesses. The Prince of Wales left for Sandringham on the 23rd.
May 21st 1885
Died, aged 78, Mr. Jeremiah Colman, of Carshalton Park, senior partner in the firm of Messrs. J. and J. Colman. He was one of the twelve sons of Mr. Robert Colman, and a member of the cricket team of eleven brothers.
June 3rd 1885
The Derby Stakes were won at Epsom by Lord Hastings’ Norfolk-bred horse, Melton, which beat Mr. Brodrick-Cloete’s Paradox and Mr. Childwick’s Royal Hampton. On September 16th Melton won the St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster by six lengths.
June 4th 1885
A festival of the Choir Benevolent Fund took place at Norwich Cathedral.
June 13th 1885
The Queen, it was announced, had conferred the honour of knighthood upon Dr. Eade, of Norwich. The Norwich Town Council on the 16th passed a vote of congratulation to Sir Peter Eade, who on August 1st was presented to her Majesty at Osborne.
June 17th 1885
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Watton, and was continued on the 18th. Lord Walsingham was president.
July 4th 1885
Captain Smith, East Surrey Regiment, son of Mr. Henry Smith, of Ellingham Hall, was enthusiastically welcomed on his return after active service in Afghanistan and the Soudan. Captain Smith entered the Army in 1878, and went immediately to the front. He served in the Afghan War under Sir Donald Stewart, and in the Soudan under General Graham, and took part in the operations at Hasheen and Tamai. While at Suakim he contracted fever and was invalided home.
July 9th 1885
The Merton flock of pure-bred Southdown sheep, the property of Lord Walsingham, was sold by Mr. John Thornton. The 541 lots revised £3,254 12s. 6d.
July 9th 1885
Died, at Catton, aged 82, Mr. William Jary Cubitt, who served the office of Sheriff of Norwich in 1865–66.
July 10th 1885
Died, at Thorpland Hall, Fakenham, aged 83, the Rev. Henry James Lee Warner. He was born at Stanton St. Quintin, Wiltshire, where his father was then curate. Soon afterwards his grandfather succeeded to the Walsingham Abbey estates, and in 1807 his father accepted the charge of the adjoining parishes of Walsingham and Houghton-in-the-Dale. Having attended Aylsham Grammar School he proceeded to Rugby, and thence to St. John’s College, Cambridge, where, in 1825, he took double honours in classics and mathematics, being fourth Senior Optime and in the second class of the Classical Tripos. After residing at the Temple and reading for the Bar, he travelled for some time on the Continent, and on returning to England read for Holy Orders, and was ordained at Norwich by Bishop Bathurst. Mr. Lee Warner first held a curacy at Canterbury, and in 1834 succeeded his father in the parishes of Great and Little Walsingham and Houghton-in-the-Dale. From conscientious motives he resigned his plurality of livings and thenceforth devoted himself to the more populous parish of Little Walsingham on a stipend of £100 per annum. Mr. Lee Warner largely identified himself with Church work in the diocese, and in 1863 was appointed an Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral. He was a well-known archæologist. “A man of singular modesty, of simple faith and self-denying habits, he was not only a strong teetotaller by conviction, but also in many ways opposed to what he considered excessive luxury.”
July 10th 1885
The North Elmham herd of red polled cattle, purchased and bred since 1875 by Mr. Thomas Fulcher, was sold by Mr. John Thornton. Forty-six cows and heifers realised a total of 1,077 guineas, and nine bulls 165 guineas.
July 21st 1885
A terrible disaster occurred at Caister. At about midnight a vessel was observed in distress near the Barber Sand, and the yawl Zephyr, manned by a crew of fifteen hands, was launched. The yawl had not proceeded far when she struck a sunken wreck, and her side being ripped away, she sank rapidly, and eight of her crew were drowned.
July 22nd 1885
Died, at Yarmouth, Alfred George Stannard, artist, aged 57. He was the eldest son of Alfred Stannard, of Norwich, a nephew of “Joe” Stannard and brother of Miss Stannard, the painter of fruit and flowers.
July 25th 1885
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Volunteer Battalions Norfolk Regiment went into camp at Yarmouth.
August 1st 1885
The Norfolk Agricultural Association decided to merge with the Royal Agricultural Society in 1886 and to hold no county show that year.
August 6th 1885
In the House of Commons, Mr. J. A. Picton asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether it was a fact that, as reported in the London papers, the Rev. Coker Adams, rector of Saham Toney, had on Sunday, July 26th, pronounced in his parish church sentence of excommunication against Joseph Payne, a parishioner, aged 82, because of his persistent neglect of the Church’s ordinances and refusal of her ministrations, and enquired whether notice would be taken of his illegal action? Sir Richard Cross replied that he saw this account with extreme surprise and regret, and he thought it right the sentence should be sent to the Bishop, who, he had no doubt, would make enquiry into the matter.
August 7th 1885
Died, at Rackheath Park, Sir Henry Josias Stracey, Bart. A prominent member of a well-known county family, Sir Henry for many years occupied a distinguished position. Born in 1802, he was educated at Eton, and afterwards served for several years in the 1st Dragoons, and on succeeding to the baronetcy, on the death of his father in 1855, he entered with considerable ardour into politics. Just previously he had been returned without opposition as one of the representatives of East Norfolk on the retirement of Mr. Edmond Wodehouse. On the dissolution of Parliament in 1857 Major-General Windham, in the flush of the fame he had gained in the Crimea, was brought forward for East Norfolk with Sir E. N. Buxton, and there being divided opinions in the Conservative camp, Mr. Burroughes and Sir Henry Stracey declined to contest the seat. On the death of Sir E. N. Buxton in June, 1858, Sir Henry was again nominated, and was defeated by the Hon. Wenman Coke. In the following year he was returned with Sir Edmund Lacon for Yarmouth, defeating Mr. (afterwards Sir E. W.) Watkin and Mr. Young, and sat for that borough until 1865. In 1868 he stood for Norwich in opposition to Sir W. Russell and Mr. Tillett, and was returned at the head of the poll, but was unseated on petition. In 1874 he again came forward, in conjunction with Mr. Huddleston, was unsuccessful, and thereafter took no share in polities. Sir Henry married, in 1835, Charlotte, only daughter and heiress of Mr. George Denne, of the Paddock, Canterbury. He served the office of High Sheriff in 1871, and was a Deputy Lieutenant and magistrate for the county of Norfolk.
August 18th 1885
Died, at Hingham, Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart., aged 61. He married, on December 19th, 1850, Sophia Jane, daughter of the Rev. Clement Chevallier, rector of Badington and Cransford, Suffolk, and widow of Mr. Isaac Jermy Jermy, who, with his father, Mr. Isaac Jermy, fell a victim to the murderer, James Blomfield Rush. “The Beevor family, which, with their connections, are very numerous, are descended from the Rev. William Beevor, rector of South Walsham and Rockland in 1659 (the eldest son of Abraham Beevor, of Heckmondwike, Yorkshire), whose grandson, Sir Thomas, eldest son of Thomas Beevor, of Norwich, and Hester, daughter of John Sharpe, of Norwich, was created a baronet in 1784.” The subject of this notice was educated for the Bar, but in his latter years devoted himself to the supervision of the business of the Norwich Union Life Assurance Society, of which he was chairman of the directors, and was at the same time a director of the Norwich Union Fire Office. His eldest son, Thomas Edward, died to 1879, and the second son, Hugh Reeve, succeeded to the baronetcy.
August 24th 1885
Norwich Theatre was opened under the management of Mr. Fred Morgan. The inaugural performance, “In Chancery,” was given by Mr. Edward Terry’s company. On succeeding evenings “Weak Woman” and “The Rocket” were produced, and Mr. Terry also appeared in the character of James Blodder in an adaptation of Thackeray’s “Jeames’s Diary.” Several improvements had been effected in the Theatre, which had undergone much-needed redecoration.
September 4th 1885
The 4th Queen’s Own Hussars marched from Norwich Cavalry Barracks, _en route_ to Edinburgh and Glasgow.
September 14th 1885
The first exhibition by members of the Norwich Art Circle (formed in the month of February) was opened at the Old Bank of England Chambers, Queen Street.
September 25th 1885
The annual congress of the homœopathic practitioners of Great Britain was held at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, under the presidency of Dr. Herbert Nankivell, of Bournemouth.
September 25th 1885
Mr. Arthur Coyte, of Thorpe Hamlet, Norwich, died from gunshot wounds accidentally inflicted whilst shooting on the Stratton Strawless estate on the previous day. Mr. Coyte, who was the second son of the Rev. James Coyte, rector of Polstead, Suffolk, was 53 years of age.
September 30th 1885
Died, at Norwich, aged 91 years, the Rev. Henry Banfather. He was educated at Norwich Grammar School under Forster and Valpy, by the latter of whom he was made an assistant master. On Valpy’s death he took private pupils, and was most successful in obtaining candidates for Holy Orders. He was then appointed by the Corporation headmaster of the school, a position which he held for many years before his retirement to the living of Sprowston.
October 7th 1885
Died, at his chambers, Great Ormond Street, London, Mr. Robert Hindry Mason, aged 61 years. Mr. Mason had led a busy life as a journalist. He established, edited, and conducted, from 1852 to 1854, the “Greenwich, and West Kent Observer,” owned the “Sunderland Times” and “Sheffield Advertiser,” and subsequently became proprietor of the “London and Eton Gazette.” Some years previously, when a resident in Norwich, he published a work, entitled “Norfolk Photographically Illustrated,” and at the time of his death was engaged upon his best known work, the “History of Norfolk.”
October 12th 1885
A great Conservative demonstration was held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, at which a requisition, signed by 5,000 electors, was presented to Mr. Harry Bullard, inviting him to contest the representation of the city in the Conservative interest. Lieutenant-Colonel Bignold presided, and was supported by the Earl of Dunraven, Under Secretary for the Colonies, and by many prominent leaders of the party in county and city. In reply to the requisition Mr. Bullard said, “My answer is unhesitatingly ‘Yes.’” This meeting was said to have been the largest ever held in a public building in Norwich.
October 19th 1885
Lord Randolph Churchill addressed a large meeting of the Conservative party at Lynn in support of the candidature of Lord Henry Bentinck for North-West Norfolk. On the 20th Lord Randolph proceeded to Merton Hall as the guest of Lord and Lady Walsingham.
October 24th 1885
The Channel Squadron, consisting of the Minotaur (flagship), Agincourt, Monarch, Sultan, Iron Duke, and Leander, arrived in Yarmouth Roads, and anchored between the Britannia and Wellington Piers. Admiral Fellowes was in command, and the officers and men numbered 3,750. The squadron sailed for Deal on November 4th.
October 31st 1885
Mr. Edward Birkbeck, M.P., was presented, at the Fishmongers’ Hall, London, with a valuable service of silver plate, subscribed for by many fishermen, boatowners, and others in recognition of his successful efforts to serve the fishing industry of the United Kingdom. The presentation was made by the Prince of Wales, who was accompanied by Prince Albert Victor.
November 4th 1885
The 13th Hussars, who formed the principal cavalry contingent of Sir Charles Warren’s Bechuanaland expeditionary force, arrived at Norwich by two special trains. A portion of the regiment had proceeded to Colchester. Lieutenant-Colonel Miller was in command of the headquarter troops, which numbered 16 officers and 240 men.
November 9th 1885
Mr. John Gurney, of Sprowston Hall, was elected Mayor, and Mr. J. J. Dawson Paul appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 12th 1885
Madame Albani gave a concert at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in aid of the Jenny Lind Infirmary. She received the voluntary assistance of Miss Damian, Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Santley, Lady Benedict (solo pianist), M. Carl Walther (solo violinist), Dr. Bunnett (organist), and the Norwich Gatehouse Choir. Signor Bisaccia conducted, and the proceeds amounted to £529 14s. 8d.
November 13th 1885
Died, at Milgrove House, Fulham, Thomas Heron Jones, seventh Viscount Ranelagh. He was born at Fulham in 1812, and succeeded his father in 1820. His lordship took a prominent part in originating and forming the Volunteer force in 1859. For some time he served in the 1st Life Guards and in the 7th Fusiliers. By his death the title, which was created in 1628, became extinct. He was succeeded in his estates (principally at St. Faith’s, Norwich) by his cousin, Alexander Montgomery, son of Vice-Admiral the Hon. Alexander Montgomery Jones, son of the fourth Viscount. Lord Ranelagh served the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1868.
November 13th 1885
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Stephen, Robert Goodale, 45, gardener, was indicted for the wilful murder of his wife, Bathsheba Goodale, at Walsoken, on September 15th. He was found guilty and sentenced to death. The execution took place at Norwich Castle on November 30th. Berry, of Bradford, was the executioner. “As the clock of an adjacent church struck the hour of eight, Berry, who was stationed behind the prisoner with the lever in his hand, asked him, ‘Do you wish to say anything else before you go?’ to which Goodale replied in the negative, and before the eighth stroke had sounded, the lever was pulled, the trap-door fell, and the prisoner, who weighed 15 stone, and was 5 ft. 11 in. in height, and was allowed a drop just short of six feet, disappeared from view. To the horror of the bystanders the rope rebounded, and it was thought that by some means it had become unfastened. On looking into the pit below the scaffold the spectators observed the body lying on the ground, with the head still enveloped in the white cap, completely severed from the trunk.” At the subsequent inquest the jury found that death was caused by hanging, and “they imputed no blame to anyone for what had occurred.”
November 19th 1885
A desperate encounter took place between a couple of tigers at Bostock and Wombwell’s menagerie at Norwich. One animal seized the other, named Tippo, by the throat, and although every effort was made to separate them, Tippo was laid lifeless upon the floor. The victim’s windpipe was crushed, and death resulted from suffocation. The animal, a fine specimen of the Royal Bengal tiger, was valued at £400.
November 23rd 1885
The General Election under the extended franchise commenced on this date. The nomination of candidates for the representation of Norwich took place at the Guildhall, before the Sheriff (Mr. J. J. Dawson Paul). The following were proposed:—Mr. Harry Bullard, of Hellesdon House (C.); Mr. Jeremiah James Colman, of Carrow House (L.); and Mr. Robert Samuel Wright, of 1, Paper Buildings, Temple, London, barrister-at-law (L.). The polling took place on the 25th, between the hours of eight a.m. and eight p.m. “The Market Place was the scene of a regular carnival. The principal form of practical joking was the discharge of small bags of flour at any prominent person who chanced to run the gauntlet of the crowd. No ill-temper was displayed, and probably no election ever took place in Norwich where so little animosity was exhibited. We think the keeping of the poll open until eight o’clock was generally admitted to be a mistake, as unnecessarily prolonging the excitement incidental to an election where party feeling runs high.” At the close of the poll the ballot boxes were conveyed to the Guildhall, where the counting immediately commenced, and the result was declared at 12.45 as follows:—Bullard, 7,279; Colman, 6,666; Wright, 6,251. On December 21st a petition was lodged against the return of Mr. Bullard. (_See_ March 17th, 1886.)
November 23rd 1885
At Yarmouth, on the re-enfranchisement of the borough, Sir Henry Wheatley Tyler (C.) and Captain Cecil W. Norton (L.) were nominated. The polling, which took place on the 24th, resulted as follows:—Tyler, 2,661; Norton, 2,476.
November 23rd 1885
The Right Hon. Robert Bourke (C.) and Sir W. ffolkes, Bart. (L.) were nominated for King’s Lynn. The polling on the 25th resulted—Bourke, 1,472; ffolkes, 1,302.
November 24th 1885
For South Norfolk Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bart. (C), and Mr. Francis Taylor, of Diss (L.), were nominated. The polling took place on the 27th, and the result was declared at the Shirehall, Norwich, on the 28th as follows:—Taylor, 4,580; Buxton, 3,588.
November 24th 1885
The candidates nominated for East Norfolk were Mr. Edward Birkbeck (C.) and Mr. Philip Falk, of Kensington Palace Gardens, London (L.). The polling took place on the 30th, and the result was declared at the Shirehall, Norwich, on December 1st as follows:—Birkbeck, 4,682; Falk, 4,459.
November 25th 1885
The nomination of candidates for North Norfolk took place at Aylsham. The nominees were Mr. Samuel Hoare, of Cliff House, Cromer (C), and Mr. Herbert Hardy Cozens-Hardy, Q.C., of 50, Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill, London (L.). The polling was on December 1st, and the declaration, at Aylsham, on December 2nd. Result:—Cozens-Hardy, 5,028; Hoare, 3,342.
November 27th 1885
The nomination of candidates for South-West Norfolk took place at Swaffham. The candidates were Mr. W. A. Tyssen Amherst (C.) and Sir W. Brampton Gurdon (L.). The polling was on December 4th, and the declaration on December 5th:—Amherst, 4,096; Gurdon, 3,776.
November 30th 1885
The candidates for North-West Norfolk—Lord Henry Bentinck (C.) and Mr. Joseph Arch (L.), were nominated at Lynn. The latter, described as the president of the National Agricultural Labourers’ Union, was nominated by Sir Lawrence Jones, Bart. The polling, on December 8th, was declared on December 9th as follows:—Arch, 4,461; Bentinck, 3,821.
December 3rd 1885
Mid Norfolk election, candidates, Mr. Ailwyn E. Fellowes (C.) and Mr. R. T. Gurdon (L.), took place. The poll was declared on the 4th at East Dereham—Gurdon, 5,275; Fellowes, 2,872.
December 9th 1885
The parish church of East Dereham, partially restored at the cost of £2,134, by Messrs. Cornish and Gaymer, of North Walsham, under the supervision of Mr. E. P. Willins, was re-opened. The eighteenth century plaster, which concealed the Early English roof of the nave, was removed, and the unsightly old galleries, which blocked up the north and south aisles and the west end, were demolished. The Perpendicular font was transferred from the north transept to its original position near the west door. Colonel Bulwer was chairman of the Restoration Committee.
December 9th 1885
In the House of Lords, before Lords Selborne, Blackburn, Bramwell, Watson, and Fitzgerald, was commenced the hearing of the appeal, Coaks and others _v._ Boswell and others. This was an appeal from the judgment of Lords Justices Baggallay, Cotton, and Lindley. On Monday, 14th, the fourth day, the case for the respondents closed, and their lordships reserved judgment. (_See_ February 22nd, 1886.)
December 20th 1885
The new reredos at the church of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, designed by Mr. Seddon, and executed by Mr. Harry Hems, of Exeter, was formally dedicated. It was described as “an adaptation of the Norfolk screen, with its carved oak and painted panel work.”
December 26th 1885
Miss May Holt’s company appeared at Norwich Theatre in her “local drama,” entitled, “Every Man for Himself.” “Little Red Riding Hood” was produced at Sanger’s Circus at the Agricultural Hall.