January 5th 1884
A great meeting of Norfolk farmers was held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, at which was passed a series of resolutions affirming that they viewed with alarm the serious loss imposed upon the nation by the importation of live stock from countries where foot and mouth disease was known to exist, and calling upon the Government to order the withdrawal of existing restrictions on the removal of stock in England. On the 29th a similar meeting, presided over by Lord Walsingham, was held at Lynn, and a third meeting took place at Fakenham on the 31st. Deputations from the Corporations of Norwich and Lynn waited upon the local authority at Norwich on February 23rd to discuss what steps should be taken to effect the re-opening of the cattle markets in the city and borough, and it was decided to send a deputation to the Privy Council. This deputation, consisting of representatives of the county authority, and of the Corporations of Norwich and Lynn, waited upon Lord Carlingford on February 28th, and asked for the immediate opening of the markets and the removal or modification of other restrictions. At the quarterly meeting of the county magistrates on April 10th, Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., reported that the sum of £2,586 had been expended during the three months for inspection and expenses in carrying out the provisions of the Act. The Contagious Diseases (Animals) Act Amendment Bill was read a second time on March 21st and a third time on May 3rd, and on May 19th it received the Royal assent and became law.
January 20th 1884
Died, at King’s Lynn, Mr. James Fiddaman. He began life in very humble circumstances and without the advantages afforded by education. The son of a tailor in a small way of business, he first acted as an assistant to his uncle, who was ostler at a tavern in Lynn. He was afterwards ostler or “boots” at inns and hotels in neighbouring towns; subsequently he tramped the country for a time, visiting London, Brighton, and other places in quest of a good situation. Eventually he returned to Lynn, took a public-house known as the Wheatsheaf, in Norfolk Street, and made it the local centre of the sporting interest in West Norfolk. After a time he bought the house, converted it into an hotel and wine vaults, and rapidly made a fortune. Mr. Fiddaman was a munificent donor to many benevolent institutions, and his private acts of charity were numerous. An enormous concourse of persons attended his funeral.
January 30th 1884
Died, at his residence, Thorpe St. Andrew, Mr. Richard Noverre Bacon, aged 85, probably the oldest journalist in the kingdom. At an early age he was engaged in newspaper work under his father, Richard Mackenzie Bacon, whom in 1845 he succeeded as proprietor and editor of the “Norwich Mercury.” A Whig of the old school, Mr. Bacon in his editorship of the “Mercury” was tenacious in the maintenance of his opinions, and held them with a firmness which did not always please the more advanced section of the Liberal party—hence the establishment of the “Norfolk News” as the representative organ of Liberal Nonconformity in county and city. Mr. Bacon served his fellow-citizens in the Town Council, on the Hospital board, and in other capacities, and assisted in founding the Jenny Lind Infirmary for Sick Children. As a journalist he was decidedly inferior to his distinguished father, and his only literary work was his “Essay on Norfolk Agriculture,” written in 1844, which won for him the prize offered by the Royal Agricultural Society, besides bringing him prominently forward among the agriculturists of the county, a connection he was assiduous in maintaining to the close of his career.
February 19th 1884
A deputation of Norfolk magistrates and members of the Norwich Town Council waited upon the Home Secretary (Sir William Harcourt) on the subject of the proposed provision of a new prison site at Norwich. Lord Walsingham explained the objects of the deputation. The county prison at Norwich, with the Castle and a portion of the ground on which it stands, having been offered under Section 34 of the Prisons Act, 1877, for re-purchase by the original prison authority, _i.e._, the county of Norfolk, at the statutory price fixed by the Act (amounting in this case to £10,569), a committee was appointed by the Court of Quarter Sessions for the county, and another committee by the Town Council of Norwich. The county authority would not consent to take money out of the pockets of the heavily-burdened ratepayers for the repurchase of property which they had been compelled by law to part with for nothing; but they asked that this ancient and interesting piece of county property should be restored to its original owners “that it might be by them preserved to the best advantage in all its imposing dignity and grandeur.” The Mayor of Norwich (Dr. Eade) stated that Mr. John Gurney had gone so far as to offer, free of cost, another site for a prison. The Home Secretary replied that the Prison Commissioners would not abandon the site, but would continue to occupy it, unless an offer were made which they could accept. If it was desired that they should go elsewhere, it should be made worth their while to do so. At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council on April 10th it was reported that the Home Secretary was willing to accept £5,000 for the Castle, and that a still further reduction was probable. On June 17th the Mayor announced to the Corporation that the Government had agreed to sell to the city the Castle and its environments for £4,000; and it was resolved to purchase the property for that sum. (_See_ October 19th, 1886.)
February 20th 1884
Mr. C. S. Read was returned unopposed to fill the vacancy in the representation of the Western Division of the county, caused by the resignation of Mr. Bentinck, M.P. Mr. Read took his seat in the House of Commons on the 21st, and had a very cordial reception. “The Premier shook his hand when he came to the table, and a score of members behind the chair greeted him as heartily.”
March 15th 1884
On this date were published the names of Norfolk men, and of those connected with the county, who had distinguished themselves at the battle of Teb, on March 13th. The list included Colonel Sir Redvers Buller, of Castle Rising; Commander Rolfe, of Heacham; Major Haggard, son of Mr. Haggard, of East Bradenham; Lieutenant Probyn (killed), nephew of Sir Dighton Probyn; and Captain Wilson, R.N., of the Hecla, son of Mr. Knyvett Wilson, of Swaffham. Captain Wilson afterwards received the Victoria Cross.
March 20th 1884
Mr. Oscar Wilde lectured before a large audience in the Assembly Room, Agricultural Hall, Norwich, on the subject of “The House Beautiful.”
March 22nd 1884
The Spring Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was held for the first time at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich. Since this date the show has been held annually in the same building in the month of March.
March 26th 1884
Mr. E. P. Weston, the celebrated pedestrian, who on the 15th completed his walk of 5,000 miles in as many consecutive hours (Sundays and Christmas Day excluded), delivered a lecture at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, on “How I Came to Walk into Walking.” The Mayor (Dr. Eade) presided. Weston, whose address was in the cause of temperance, stated that in fourteen years he had walked 56,000 miles.
March 28th 1884
Intelligence was received at Norwich of the death, at Cannes, of the Duke of Albany. The great bell of St. Peter Mancroft was tolled, and flags displayed at half-mast. References were made to the sad event by preachers in various places of worship on Sunday, the 30th; on April 8th the Town Council passed a resolution of condolence with her Majesty the Queen and the Duchess of Albany; and on April 10th the county magistrates adopted a similar resolution.
April 12th 1884
Died, at Rackheath Park, Lady Stracey, wife of Sir Henry J. Stracey, Bart. Her ladyship was a daughter of Mr. George Denne, of the Paddock, Canterbury, and married Sir Henry on March 5th, 1835. Of the marriage there were eight sons and six daughters.
April 12th 1884
Died, at Yarmouth, Mr. William Norton Burroughs, in his 86th year. He was Mayor of the borough in 1846.
April 14th 1884
Madame Cave-Ashton’s Opera Company commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre, in “Il Trovatore.”
April 25th 1884
Died, at Morningthorpe Rectory, the Rev. Edmund Nelson Rolfe, eldest son of the Rev. Robert Rolfe, rector of Hempnall aged 73. He was first cousin to Lord Chancellor Cranworth. “Of an old Norfolk family, he bore the Christian name of Nelson to mark his relationship to the great Lord Nelson. His mother was a daughter of the Rev. Edmund Nelson, and aunt to Horatio Viscount Nelson.”
April 28th 1884
The Royal assent was given to “The City of Norwich (Mousehold Heath) Scheme Confirmation.”
May 1st 1884
At St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Rev. Sidney Linton, D.D., vicar of St. Philip’s, Heigham, Norwich, was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Bishop of Riverina, New South Wales. A farewell meeting was held in St. Philip’s parish on May 26th, when the Bishop received parting gifts.
May 13th 1884
“Cuthbert Bede” (the Rev. Edward Bradley), author of “Verdant Green,” lectured in the Assembly Room, Agricultural Hall, Norwich, on “Modern Humourists.”
May 19th 1884
In the Court of Appeal, Lords Justices Baggallay, Cotton, and Lindley commenced the hearing of the appeal case, Boswell and others _v._ Coaks and others. This was an appeal from the judgment of Mr. Justice Fry in the action brought by Mr. J. F. Boswell and Mr. James Baxter on behalf of themselves and of other unsatisfied creditors of Sir Robert John Harvey, deceased, against Isaac Bugg Coaks and others, to have the purchase of a life interest on certain property set aside. Mr. Justice Fry had given judgment for the defendants, and from that judgment the plaintiffs now appealed. On Wednesday, 28th, the sixth day of the hearing, their lordships adjourned until after the Whitsuntide recess. The hearing was resumed on June 12th, and continued until June 16th, when Lord Baggallay said their lordships would consider their judgment. On July 31st judgment was given for the plaintiffs. “The arguments of counsel and examination of witnesses in the appeal occupied the time of the Court for nine days, and it is just over six weeks since the case closed and their lordships announced that they would consider their judgment. It amounts to a complete vindication of the action taken by the plaintiffs, for whom practically the verdict throughout was given, with costs.” (_See_ December 9th, 1885.)
May 29th 1884
Died, at Wimbledon, the Right Hon. Sir Bartle Frere, G.C.B., G.C.S.I. He belonged to an ancient family established in Norfolk and Suffolk from the time of the Conquest, and was a younger brother of Mr. George Edward Frere, of Roydon, near Diss. Born on March 29th, 1815, he was educated at Bath Grammar School, and at the age of seventeen was nominated to Haileybury; in the entrance examination he came out last but one, but once admitted he set himself to work with such energy that at the end of 1833 be passed from the college as its foremost student into the ranks of the Company’s Civil Service. His name will ever be associated with South African diplomacy.
May 31st 1884
A great county and city meeting was held at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Earl of Leicester, for the purpose of taking such measures as might be necessary to induce the Council of the Royal Agricultural Society of England to hold their annual meeting at Norwich in 1886. Resolutions were adopted in furtherance of the objects of the meeting. (_See_ July 12th, 1886.)
June 10th 1884
A fire occurred at Scole, and resulted in the destruction of the shop of Mr. A. Pettit, and of other property. Mr. Pettit’s loss amounted to upwards of £1,000.
June 10th 1884
Died, at Catton, Mrs. Mary Sewell, widow of Mr. Isaac Sewell. She was the daughter of Mr. John Wright, of Buxton, and was born in 1797 at either Felthorpe or Great Yarmouth. Most of her early life was spent at the former place; and in 1818 she married Mr. Sewell, of Yarmouth. Subsequently they removed to the neighbourhood of London, where they resided until 1835. During the next twenty years they lived at Brighton and at Chichester, and then removed to Bath, where they remained till 1867, when Mrs. Sewell went to reside with her son at Catton. Her connection with literature began at a very early period of her life, and her publications were both numerous and popular. The most successful were “Mother’s Last Words” and “Our Father’s Care.” The former was issued by Messrs. Jarrold on November 1st, 1860, and up to January 25th, 1884, upwards of one million copies had been printed and circulated. Similar success attended the latter work, which proved equally popular. Mrs. Sewell was originally a member of the Society of Friends, but in consequence of misgivings she withdrew in 1834, and for a time attended a Congregational chapel in London. On her removal to Brighton she associated herself with the Church of England. “She was no sectarian, but a Christian in the broadest and most genuine sense.”
June 18th 1884
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association opened at Lynn, and was continued on the 19th. Sir Lewis W. Jarvis was president.
June 26th 1884
Died, at Newmarket Road, Norwich, Mr. John Pymar, aged 76. For more than fifty years he served the city in various capacities, but never aspired to the higher offices. For nearly half a century Mr. Pymar was a member of the Board of Guardians, and for more than forty years an alderman of the city. Throughout his career he was a moderate and consistent Liberal.
June 26th 1884
Died, at Prince’s Street, Norwich, Mr. John Quinton, for fifty-five years librarian at the Norfolk and Norwich Literary Institution, aged 72.
June 28th 1884
Died, at Yarmouth, aged 73, Mr. Charles Cory Aldred, Deputy-Mayor of the borough. In early life he served as naval surgeon in H.M.S. Dreadnought, and was afterwards surgeon-major in the Norfolk Artillery Militia.
June 29th 1884
The Rev. Frederick Baggallay, who had been elected vicar of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, in succession to the Ven. Archdeacon Nevill, officiated for the first time. He was the fifth son of the Right Hon. Sir Richard Baggallay, Lord Justice of Appeal, and formerly curate at St. George’s, Hanover Square.
July 1st 1884
St. John’s church, Yarmouth, was re-opened after further enlargement, at the cost of £1,500. Within a quarter of a century the building had been five times enlarged.
July 1st 1884
Died, at Glaisdale Lodge, Hunstanton, Rhoda Bunn, formerly of Wolferton, in her 104th year. She was born at Beeston-next-Mileham, on February 23rd, 1781, “and shortly after her last birthday was presented by the Queen with her portrait upon receipt of a photograph of the old lady sent by the vicar, the Rev. A. Waller.”
July 7th 1884
Colonel George Wilson Boileau was presented by the members of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment, at Norwich, with a massive silver Monteith bowl “as a mark of respect and esteem on his retirement in 1883, after commanding the battalion fifteen years.”
July 14th 1884
A large meeting of the Conservative party in West Norfolk was held at Swaffham “with the object of supporting the Lords in their constitutional action with regard to the Franchise Bill.” This was the first of many meetings held throughout the county at which the principle of redistribution was strongly enforced, and Mr. Bright’s famous dictum at Bradford in 1859 quoted: “Repudiate without mercy any Bill of any Government, whatever its franchise, whatever its seeming concessions may be, if it does not redistribute the seats.” At Lynn, on July 22nd, Sir Stafford Northcote, Lord Cranborne, and Mr. Bourke addressed a largely-attended meeting in support of redistribution, and at Norwich, on the 29th, the Earl of Donoughmore, Sir Hardinge Giffard, Q.C., M.P., and Sir R. J. Buxon, M.P., spoke in favour of the action of the House of Lords.
July 14th 1884
The newly-erected parish church at Edgefield was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. The dilapidated church of SS. Peter and Paul standing upon the confines of the parish had been demolished, and the materials capable of being re-used were utilised for the erection of the new church upon a more convenient site. The demolition was commenced on November 13th, 1882, and the building of the new church was carried out from plans by Mr. J. D. Steading, of Charlotte Street, Bradford Square, W.C., by Mr. Bartram, builder, of Aylsham, at the cost of £1,900.
July 30th 1884
Deopham church was re-opened, after restoration by Messrs. Cornish and Gaymer, of North Walsham.
August 9th 1884
Died, at Merton Rectory, the Rev. George Crabbe, B.A. He was a son of the eldest brother of the celebrated poet Crabbe, and was born at Pucklechurch, Somerset, in 1819. Educated at Bury St. Edmund’s School, and at Queen’s College, Cambridge, he was presented to the living of Merton by Lord Walsingham, father of the present peer. Mr. Crabbe married his cousin, the third daughter of the Rev. George Crabbe, younger son of the poet. During the last two or three years of his life he was engaged in examining and arranging the family documents at Merton Hall, and the result of his researches was published in 1883 by direction of the Committee of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, under the title of “Robert de Grey, Recusant.” This was followed by Part I. of “A Report on the Muniments of Merton Hall, Norfolk,” published in the “Norfolk Antiquarian Miscellany,” edited by Walter Rye. Part II. was nearly completed at the time of his death.
August 11th 1884
Great heat was experienced on this date. “The heat registered in the shade was 90 degrees at Eaton, and 95 in Park Lane, Norwich.” A violent thunderstorm occurred on the 12th.
August 13th 1884
Died suddenly, at Brighton railway station, the Duke of Wellington. Born February 3rd, 1807, he succeeded his illustrious father, the greatest of British generals, on September 14th, 1852. As Lord Douro he was elected Conservative member for Aldeburgh in 1830, and retained his seat until 1831. In 1837 he was returned for Norwich, and continued to sit until July, 1852, a few months previous to the death of his father. During the life of Sir Samuel Bignold, with whom he was on terms of the closest intimacy, the Duke of Wellington was a frequent visitor to Norwich, the last occasion being in 1874, when he joined in the celebration of the venerable knight’s 83rd birthday, on October 13th, and on the following evening accompanied him to the annual dinner of the Eldon Club.
August 21st 1884
Died suddenly, at Cranmer Hall, Sir Willoughby Jones, Bart., aged 63. He was the second son of Major-General Sir John Thomas Jones, K.C.B., _aide-de-camp_ to the Queen (who was created a baronet in 1831), by Catherine Maria, daughter of Mr. Effingham Laurence, of New York. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took a wrangler’s degree in 1843, he entered for the Bar, but his future career was decided by the death of his brother, Sir Laurence Jones, who, having held the baronetcy for only two years, was murdered by brigands whilst on a tour in Turkey, in November, 1845. Sir Willoughby, on succeeding to the baronetcy, devoted himself to the pursuits and duties of a country gentleman. He was for nearly thirty years Chairman of the Norfolk Court of Quarter Sessions, chairman of the Norwich centre of the Cambridge Local Examinations, and a member of the Archæological Society and of the Naturalists’ Society. He also took great interest in the Volunteer movement, and in its early days was captain of the 10th Company of Norfolk Rifles. Sir Willoughby served the office of High Sheriff in 1851, and married in 1856 his cousin, Emily, daughter of Mr. Henry Taylor Jones, of Chatham, by whom he left three sons and four daughters. In early life he was a Conservative, and as such sat for Cheltenham in 1847–48; but he afterwards changed his principles, and in 1865, as a Liberal, unsuccessfully contested West Norfolk.
August 25th 1884
Mr. Edward Terry commenced a three nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, as Captain Ginger (“Weak Woman”). His other impersonations were Chevalier Walkinshaw (“The Rocket”), Kerry (“Kerry, or Night and Morning”), and Paul Pry.
August 26th 1884
A long and heated discussion took place at a meeting of the Norwich Town Council on a motion for adopting a recommendation by the Libraries Committee “that the reading room at the Free Library be opened on Sundays from 3 o’clock until 9 p.m., from Michaelmas to Christmas next, by way of experiment.” A strong protest was handed in on behalf of the clergy of the city, and the motion was defeated by 21 votes against 12.
September 20th 1884
It was announced that the Mousehold site for the new brigade depot for the Norfolk Regiment had been handed over to the military authorities, and plans were in hand for the erection of the barracks. (_See_ June 18th, 1888.)
September 29th 1884
A new lifeboat was launched at Cromer, and was named by Mrs. Bond-Cabbell the “Benjamin Bond-Cabbell.” It was built by Messrs. Beeching, of Yarmouth.
October 6th 1884
The Eastern and Midland Railway extension to Holt was inspected and approved by Major-General Hutchinson.
October 14th 1884
The Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival commenced with an evening performance of “Elijah.” The other productions were: On the 15th “The Redemption,” first time of performance in Norwich; the 16th the dramatic oratorio, “The Rose of Sharon,” the music composed expressly for this Festival by A. C. Mackenzie; the 17th “The Messiah.” Grand miscellaneous concerts were given on the evenings of the 15th, 16th, and 17th. The principal vocalists were Miss Emma Navada, Miss Anna Williams, Madame Patey, Miss Damian, Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Maas, Mr. H. E. Thorndike, and Mr. Santley. Mr. Alberto Randegger conducted. The balance, after the payment of expenses, amounted to £953 1s. 3d., of which amount £700 was distributed among the local charities.
October 15th 1884
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Norwich from Melton Constable, where they were on a visit to Lord and Lady Hastings, and attended the Musical Festival. Their Royal Highnesses arrived at the City Station of the Eastern and Midlands Railway at 11.40 and were received by the Mayor (Dr. Eade), the Sheriff (Mr. J. Farrar Ranson), and the Deputy-Mayor (Mr. C. R. Gilman), and were escorted to St. Andrew’s Hall by a detachment of the 4th (Queen’s Own) Hussars. During the interval in the performance of “The Redemption” their Royal Highnesses and a distinguished company were entertained to luncheon by the Mayor. On leaving the hall the Prince and Princess visited the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, and later returned to Melton Constable. Their Royal Highnesses again visited the city on the evening of the 17th, and attended the Festival concert, at the conclusion of which they proceeded to Melton Constable, and ended their visit to Lord and Lady Hastings on the 18th.
November 6th 1884
The Norwich Diocesan Conference commenced its sittings at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich. The proceedings ended on the 7th.
November 7th 1884
The new building erected on St. James’s Road by the Corporation of Lynn, for the reception of the Stanley Library, was opened. The Bishop of Carlisle (Dr. Harvey Goodwin, son of Mr. Charles Goodwin, of Lynn) delivered an inaugural address, in the course of which he reviewed the changes and improvements in his native town since he last visited it twenty-five years previously.
November 10th 1884
Mr. John Hotblack was elected Mayor and Mr. William Howard Dakin appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 18th 1884
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council the Parliamentary and Bylaws Committee reported that counsel was of opinion “that the Corporation should for the present hold its hand and not make any further distribution among the freemen of the funds arising from the Town Close Estate.” The recommendation of the Committee “that the question of payment remain in abeyance until the next meeting,” was adopted by 45 votes against 11. At an adjourned meeting held on December 16th “to consider the case submitted to the Solicitor-General and Mr. Asquith,” Mr. Hackblock moved the adoption of the recommendation of the Parliamentary and Bylaws Committee “that the City Treasurer be directed to carry the amounts of the rents of the Town Close Estate in his hands to a separate account, with the view of affording an opportunity for obtaining a judicial decision as to the rights of the freemen to the estate.” Mr. Joseph Stanley moved “That the freemen be paid as usual.” The amendment was defeated by 26 votes against 21. On the adjournment of the Council a writ issued by Mr. Stanley on behalf of four freemen, and directed against the Mayor, Aldermen, and Councillors and her Majesty’s Attorney General, was served upon the Town Clerk. It claimed for the freemen a declaration that the Corporation was seized and entitled to the receipt of the rents and profits of the Town Close Estate upon trust only for the benefit of the plaintiffs and others the freemen of the city, and an account of the rents and profits of the estate which had been received by the Corporation. The appointment of a receiver was asked for, and in addition the plaintiffs sought an injunction to restrain the Corporation from admitting to the freedom of the city by servitude any persons who had served only under articles of clerkship to a solicitor for not exceeding five years, and had not served seven years’ apprenticeship to a freeman trader. The Corporation was also desired to furnish an account of all persons so admitted from September 9th, 1835, it being contended by the freemen that the profession of law was not a trade or business as required by the Act, and that no man could be admitted under less than a seven years’ apprenticeship. (_See_ March 21st, 1887.)
November 30th 1884
Died, at Costessey Park, the Right Hon. Henry Valentine Baron Stafford. He was a son of George William, eighth lord (in whose favour an attainder was reversed in 1824), by his first wife, Frances Henrietta, youngest daughter and co-heiress of Mr. Edward Sulyarde, of Wetherdon, Suffolk, and was born January 2nd, 1802. His lordship was twice married, first on February 13th, 1829, to Julia, second daughter of Mr. Edward C. Howard, F.R.S., and niece of the 12th Duke of Norfolk, who died in November, 1856; and, secondly, in September, 1859, to Emma Eliza, daughter of Mr. Frederick S. Gerard, of Aspull House, Lincolnshire, and niece of Robert Lord Gerard, by whom he was survived. He was one of the first Roman Catholics who sat in the House of Commons after the passing of the Roman Catholic Relief Bill, when he was chosen member for Pontefract. On the occasion of the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales, the Queen of Denmark, and the Duke of Edinburgh to Norwich, in 1866, Lord Stafford entertained them at Costessey Park. In recognition of his munificent liberality on that occasion a subscription was inaugurated by the Corporation of Norwich for a full-length portrait of his lordship, which was placed in St. Andrew’s Hall. Lord Stafford was the courtliest of gentlemen and the most liberal of landlords.
December 2nd 1884
Died, at Bacton Grange, North Walsham, in his 67th year, Mr. William Partridge Cubitt. He was born at Bacton, where the Cubitt family had been for many generations tenants under the Wodehouses. As a coal merchant he owned ships which traded between Bacton and the North. For many years he was captain of the Bacton lifeboat crew, and had received medals and certificates for courageously saving life on the Norfolk coast. On one occasion he swam his horse out to a wreck and brought the sailors to shore hanging to the stirrup-leathers of his saddle. “He was not only a good sailor, a good farmer, and a sharp and wise merchant, but he was also a splendid horseman across country.” In politics Mr. Cubitt was strongly Liberal.
December 2nd 1884
A meeting was held at King’s Lynn, at which was formed for West Norfolk a branch of the National Fair Trade League. The principles of the League were, for a time, advocated in this and other parts of Norfolk, but the movement was short-lived.
December 3rd 1884
Died, at the Close, Norwich, Mr. John Orfeur, in his 80th year. He was a son of Lieutenant Abdiel Orfeur, R.N., of Great Yarmouth, a descendant of the family of Orfeur in Cumberland. By business a timber merchant, he devoted his leisure time to scientific pursuits, was one of the promoters of the Norwich Geological Society, and of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists’ Society, and a warm supporter of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum.
December 6th 1884
The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture adopted a resolution affirming its belief that the long-continued depression in agriculture injuriously affected all other industries, and its desire that a Committee of the two Houses of Parliament should enquire into the causes of the distress and recommend such practical remedies as might be found advisable. Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., moved a similar resolution at a meeting of the Central Chamber of Agriculture, on December 10th.
December 16th 1884
Died, at Houghton Hall, his seat in Norfolk, the Marquis of Cholmondeley. His lordship, who was born August 31st, 1800, was the younger of the two sons of George James, fourth earl and first Marquis of Cholmondeley, by his marriage with the Lady Georgina Charlotte Bertie, second daughter and co-heiress of Peregrine, third Duke of Ancaster. He was educated at Eton and Christ Church, and at the age of 22, as Lord Henry Cholmondeley, he entered the House of Commons as one of the members for the pocket borough of Castle Rising, in the place of his brother, Lord Rocksavage, who was called to the Upper House in his father’s Barony of Newburgh. In 1832 Castle Rising was disfranchised under Lord John Russell’s Reform Act, and Lord Henry remained out of Parliament until 1852, when he was returned as one of the members for South Hampshire. In May, 1870, on his elder brother’s death, he succeeded to the Marquisate and the rest of the family honours, and to the estates of Cholmondeley Castle in Cheshire, and of Houghton Hall, Norfolk. He was an excellent and considerate landlord, and did his best to encourage agricultural improvements on his estates.
December 17th 1884
An extensive fire occurred in the drapery establishment of Mr. Alfred Jermyn, High Street, Lynn. A range of buildings was entirely destroyed. The premises were valued at £6,500, and the stock in trade at £20,000.
December 26th 1884
Messrs. T. W. Robertson and H. Brace’s Comedy Company appeared at Norwich Theatre in the farcical pieces, “Nita’s First” and “My Milliner’s Bill.” At Messrs. John Sanger and Son’s Circus, at the Agricultural Hall, was produced the Christmas spectacle, “Aladdin, or an Old Lamp with a New Face.”
December 29th 1884
Died, at Bridewell Alley, Norwich, aged 53, Mr. Arthur Dale Ventnor, a well-known portrait painter.
December 30th 1884
Died, at his residence, Surrey Street, Norwich, Mr. Richard Makilwaine Phipson, F.S.A., aged 57. He commenced practice as an architect in London, and in 1849 took an office at Ipswich. In 1859 he was appointed to the post of County Surveyor of Norfolk, and afterwards became one of the diocesan surveyors under the Ecclesiastical Dilapidations Act, 1871. Much of the work of church restoration carried out during the quarter of a century preceding his death had been entrusted to him, and he was the architect of the Norwich City Asylum. Mr. Phipson was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Antiquaries, and took great interest in the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society.