January 6th 1883
Died at Norwich, Mr. William Henry Daly, solicitor, aged 30. Mr. Daly was nephew of Mr. Frederick Lawrence Phillips, editor of the “Norwich Argus.” Upon the death of Mr. Phillips, he assumed for a short time the editorial control of the “Argus.” Mr. Daly, who was a man of brilliant attainments, and had before him a very promising career, had been a member of the Norwich Town Council, and was solicitor to the Norfolk and Norwich Licensed Victuallers’ Association.
January 12th 1883
Professor Huxley, F.R.S., Inspector of Fisheries, held a public inquiry at Cromer, as to the desirability or otherwise of granting an order under the provisions of the Fisheries (Oyster, Crab, and Lobster) Act, to continue or vary the existing Order, dated February 2nd, 1880. A similar inquiry was held at Sheringham. As the result of the evidence, the Order was renewed and made more stringent.
January 16th 1883
The Norwich Tramways Bill, promoted by the Hallidie Patent Cable Tramways Corporation, Limited, was reported upon by the Parliamentary and Bylaws Committee of the Norwich Town Council, who recommended “that, in consequence of the nuisance and discomfort caused by their construction and working,” a petition be presented against the Bill in its entirety. The discussion was adjourned until the 22nd, when an amendment, “That the Bill be opposed only so far as to protect the interests of the citizens,” was negatived by 25 votes to 18. The recommendation of the Committee was thereupon adopted, and the company ultimately abandoned the scheme. (_See_ November 16th, 1886.)
January 22nd 1883
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, it was reported that the wood-paving scheme had been completed. An area of 75,638 yards had been laid, at the total cost of £24,036 17s. 10½d. The scheme was subsequently extended to districts in which special application was made by the ratepayers.
January 29th 1883
The first of the touring pantomime companies appeared at Norwich Theatre—Messrs. Sheridan and Watkin’s Company, in “Little Red Riding Hood,” originally produced at Yarmouth Theatre.
January 30th 1883
The centenary anniversary of the Norwich Public Library was celebrated by a _conversazione_, given by the President (Mr. C. E. Noverre), the Vice-President (Mr. T. Muir Grant), and the ex-President (Mr. Bosworth Harcourt).
January 31st 1883
The Great Yarmouth Golf Club was formed, at a public meeting held in that town. The game had for some months previously been played on the Denes.
February 6th 1883
M. Guilmant, the celebrated French organist, gave organ recitals at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. He revisited the city on December 18th.
February 9th 1883
A meeting under the auspices of the Marriage Law Defence Union was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. H. S. Patteson. Earl Percy, Earl Beauchamp, the Right Hon. A. J. R. Beresford Hope, M.P., and the Rev. Dr. Badenoch were announced to speak. The proceedings were very disorderly, and ultimately the promoters of the meeting were compelled to vacate the platform. The opposing party thereupon proposed and adopted resolutions in favour of legalising marriage with a deceased wife’s sister.
February 14th 1883
At the Guildhall Police Court, Norwich, Mr. Joseph Stanley, solicitor, was charged, on the information of Edward Burgess, described as a printer and publisher, with assaulting him. The defendant, it was alleged, met the complainant in London Street, and, producing a riding-whip from beneath his coat, struck him several blows across the face. The assault was admitted, and defendant pleaded, in mitigation, that he horsewhipped the complainant in consequence of certain statements published by him in a paper called “Daylight.” The Bench inflicted a fine of one shilling, and declined to make an order as to costs. This was the first of a remarkable series of cases arising directly or indirectly from the publication of the print above referred to. At Norwich County Court, on February 21st, before the Judge (Mr. E. P. Price, Q.C.) and a jury, William Hammond, “otherwise E. Field and Co.,” brought an action against Edward Burgees and J. A. Burgis, the proprietors of “Daylight,” for an alleged libel. The action was originally entered for trial in the High Court of Justice, the plaintiff laying his damages at £1,000, but it was remitted to the County Court, on the application of the defendants, on the plaintiff failing to give security for costs. Mr. Horace Brown was for the plaintiff (who did not appear), and Mr. Montague Williams for the defendants. The case was partly heard when Mr. Brown said that, having regard to what had transpired, he did not think it right to ask the jury for damages. A verdict was therefore entered for the defendants. On February 24th, Arthur Ventnor, artist, of Bridewell Alley, was charged at the Police Court with wilfully breaking the plate-glass windows at the office of “Daylight,” and doing damage to the amount of £20. The defendant was committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions, held on April 3rd, before the Recorder (Mr. W. J. Metcalfe, Q.C.). It was urged on behalf of the defendant that he had broken the windows owing to a caricature of himself being exhibited therein. The Grand Jury made the following presentment: “We consider that considerable provocation was given to Mr. Ventnor by the exhibition of the caricature before he broke the windows.” The Recorder, who deplored the publication of such a paper, addressing the defendant, said, “The sentence of the Court is that you be imprisoned for three hours, which means that you have been in the dock a great deal too long already, and that you now be discharged. Who is to pay the costs of this prosecution? Not the public, certainly, but the people who provoke other people to smash their windows.” The verdict was received with great applause by a crowded court. At the Police Court on April 23rd, Messrs. Burgess and Burgis appeared in answer to an information laid by Lewin Samuel, clothier, of St. Giles’ Street, for publishing in “Daylight” a defamatory libel of and concerning him. This was a criminal prosecution, on the fiat of the Public Prosecutor. The defendants alleged in their paper that the complainant and his brother were “Jew money-lenders, who sold up the homes of hard-working men and the beds from under women and children, and extorted 150 per cent. and more, interests for small loans.” The case was sent for trial at the Assizes. The defendants appeared before Mr. Justice Day, on August 9th. After the case had been part heard, Mr. Horace Brown, counsel for the prosecution, asked leave to withdraw. His lordship granted the request, and remarked that Mr. Brown’s client “had attained his object in having the character of his business thoroughly exposed to the public.” The defendants were then discharged.
February 26th 1883
The trial of the action. Boswell _v._ Coaks, commenced before Mr. Justice Fry. On the fifth day of the trial, March 12th, his lordship gave judgment. In his opinion, he said, the plaintiff’s case had failed, and he dismissed the action, with costs. Later in the day the judge remarked that there was a certain point in the case which he had not appreciated, and ordered the action to be restored to the paper as part heard. At the further hearing, on March 19th, his lordship said he adhered to the view which he previously expressed, and pronounced judgment unreservedly in favour of the defendants, who were entirely acquitted of the charge against them. On June 19th an appeal was entered against the decision of Mr. Justice Fry. (_See_ May 19th, 1884.)
February 27th 1883
Hengler’s Grand Circus, the first exhibition of the kind given in a permanent building in the city, was opened at the Agricultural Hall, Norwich.
February 27th 1883
At a meeting held at the Globe Hotel, Lynn, under the presidency of Sir William ffolkes. M.P., Mr. A. C. Fountaine, of Narford Hall, was selected master of the West Norfolk Foxhounds, in place of Mr. Anthony Hamond, who had hunted the hounds for eighteen years. At the suggestion of the Prince of Wales, a fund was inaugurated for the purpose of presenting Mr. Hamond with a testimonial upon his retirement. The presentation took place at Sandringham, on December 1st, when a large number of the subscribers were entertained to breakfast by his Royal Highness, who handed to Mr. Hamond “his portrait in oil, mounted upon his favourite hunter, with the huntsman, Bob Claydon, and the whips, H. Browne and F. Clayden, in attendance.” The picture was painted by Mr. Samuel Carter, who was born upon the Westacre estate.
February 27th 1883
The new railway from Acle to Yarmouth was inspected by Major-General Hutchinson, and shortly afterwards opened for traffic.
March 6th 1883
A strong gale and high tide occurred at Yarmouth. Many of the houses on the Marine Parade were in danger of being flooded. Many thousands of fish were killed in the Yare by the ingress of salt water.
March 6th 1883
The Mayor and Mayoress of Norwich (Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Gilman) attended the launch, at Hull, of a new steamer, the Norwich, built by Messrs. Earle’s Shipbuilding Company, for the Great Eastern Railway Company’s service between Harwich and Antwerp. The Mayoress performed the ceremony of naming the vessel.
March 10th 1883
“Lieutenant M. W. M. Edwards, 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry, son of Mr. H. W. B. Edwards, of Hardingham, has been presented by the Queen with the Victoria Cross, for conspicuous bravery, displayed by him at the battle of Tel-el-Kebir.”
March 11th 1883
A remarkably high tide took place at Lynn. The waters overflowed not only the quays, but the high banks of the river, a circumstance unprecedented for at least half a century. The lands reclaimed by the Norfolk Estuary Company from the bed of the old river were flooded to the extent of 400 acres. The low-lying streets of the town were inundated by the overflow from the river and “flats,” and by sewage driven up through the gullies. At Wells the waters overflowed the quay and entered the adjacent houses.
March 17th 1883
It was announced that the Privy Council had granted licences for the sale of store sheep at Tombland Fair, on March 2nd. Norwich Cattle Market was opened for the sale of fat and store stock on April 7th, under certain conditions. (_See_ January 5th, 1884.)
March 22nd 1883
The Spring Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was held on the Old Cricket Ground, Lakenham.
March 24th 1883
A public subscription was inaugurated to enable the city of Norwich to purchase a site for the erection of brigade depôt barracks for the Norfolk Regiment. The War Office, it was announced, had agreed to retain the Cavalry Barracks on condition that the city provided a site for the infantry depôt. On July 24th the War Office intimated their acceptance of the site on Plumstead Road, which was purchased at the cost of £1,600.
March 26th 1883
The accomplished young tragedienne, Miss Alleyn, made her first appearance at Norwich Theatre in the character of Juliet, with a company under the management of Mr. Charles Bernard. Among her other impersonations during the engagement were Marguerite Gauthier (“Woman’s Love”), Lady Teazle, Adrienne Lecouvreur, Rosalind, Pauline, Iolanthe (“King René’s Daughter”), and Portia. Miss Alleyn was described as “incomparably the best actress seen on the Norwich stage within the last thirty years.”
March 30th 1883
Mr. and Mrs. Gladstone passed through Lynn railway-station, on their way to Sandringham, to visit the Prince and Princess of Wales. “Mr. and Mrs. Gladstone travelled in a first-class carriage, and on the arrival of the train they were apparently asleep. Mr. Gladstone, however, soon woke up, and immediately one of his admirers, in the form of a ‘working-man,’ proceeded to the carriage window and introduced himself as one of his supporters, and thereupon shook hands with the Premier. On Sunday morning (April 1st), some prominent members of the Liberal party in Lynn received fictitious invitations to lunch with Mr. Gladstone at Sandringham, the envelopes in which the notes were enclosed bearing the postmark of that village.” The visit terminated on April 2nd.
April 11th 1883
Mr. Melton Prior, special artist of the “Illustrated London News,” delivered at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, a pictorial lecture on the Egyptian War.
April 13th 1883
A specially-invited company visited Carrow Works, Norwich, to witness the lighting of the premises for the first time with the electric light installed by the Hammond Electric Light and Power Supply Company. The machinery in the printing works was, for the first time, driven by electric power.
April 18th 1883
The parish church of Wells-next-the-Sea, rebuilt at the cost of £10,000, after the destruction of the original building by lightning, on August 3rd, 1879, was opened. Mr. Herbert Green, of Norwich, was the architect, and Mr. S. C. Parmenter, of Braintree, Essex, the contractor.
April 20th 1883
Died at Bank Street, Norwich, aged 48, Mr. R. T. Culley, Coroner for the County of Norfolk, to which office he was appointed in June, 1878, after discharging for sixteen years the duties of Deputy Coroner.
April 21st 1883
“Major-General Seager died the other day, at Scarborough, aged 71. General Seager rose from the ranks. He was regimental sergeant-major of the 8th Hussars when that regiment was stationed in Norwich in 1840, and formed an attachment for a young lady residing in the Close, whose parents interfered and stopped the further progress of the engagement, which they would hardly have done could they have anticipated the career which lay before the disdained young sergeant-major. Though in the ranks, he was the son of a Liverpool merchant. He won his honours and promotion in the Crimea and in the Indian Mutiny. For the former he was ‘specially mentioned’ for his bravery in the heroic Balaclava charge, when he broke through the Russian lines, for which he was made captain.”
April 22nd 1883
A porpoise was killed in the Yare at Buckenham Ferry. “A capture of this kind is unparalleled on the river Yare. It is supposed the fish came up on the night of the 21st, with the strong flood tide.”
April 24th 1883
The Norwich Town Council decided to discontinue the experimental lighting of the city with the electric light. In the House of Commons, on August 1st, a Bill to confirm a provisional order of the Board of Trade, in reference to electric lighting at Norwich, was considered, and reported to be read a third time.
April 29th 1883
The Mayor and Corporation of Norwich attended the re-opening service at St. Peter Mancroft church, on the completion of the great work of restoration. The sermon was preached by the Bishop of Liverpool. “By means of the liberal donations of Messrs. Gurney and Co., the twelve bells have been repaired and re-hung, three houses which stood on the churchyard have been purchased and taken down, and the accumulated soil has been removed from the church walls and the churchyard levelled.”
May 3rd 1883
Mr. Hugh Aylmer’s herd of shorthorns was sold at West Dereham, by Mr. John Thornton. The cows and heifers (55 lots) averaged £69 11s. 3d., and the bulls (18) £72 14s. 10d. The total amount realised was £5,108 5s.
May 3rd 1883
A meeting of the freeholders in the Norwich district was held at the Shirehall, under the presidency of the High Sheriff (Colonel W. E. G. L. Bulwer), for the nomination of candidates for the office of County Coroner. Mr. John Furness, solicitor, of Forncett, was nominated by Sir Francis Boileau, and seconded by Mr. C. S. Read; and Mr. Joseph Stanley, solicitor, of Norwich, was proposed by Mr. Fred Bullard, and seconded by Mr. John Hotblack. The show of hands was declared to be in favour of Mr. Stanley; whereupon a poll was demanded on behalf of Mr. Furness. The election took place on May 7th, and the result was declared as follows: Stanley, 707; Furness, 628. The last contested election for the County Coronership took place in 1827.
May 8th 1883
The first steam fire-engine for the use of the city was tested in Norwich Market Place. It was purchased for £600, partly contributed by the Norwich Union Fire Office, and partly subscribed by the public.
May 26th 1883
“The Queen has been pleased to approve the 1st City of Norwich and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Norfolk Rifle Volunteer Corps to be known respectively as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Volunteer Battalions of the Norfolk Regiment regular force.”
May 27th 1883
Died at his residence, St. Andrew’s Broad Street, Norwich, Mr. James Harcourt, aged 64, formerly choirmaster of the Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival. He was a pupil of Mr. Pettet, a musician of great local repute, and organist of St. Peter Mancroft and St. Stephen’s churches. Mr. Harcourt succeeded to his master’s position at St. Peter’s, on its being relinquished by Mr. Critchfield, also a pupil and the successor of Mr. Pettet. He held that post for twenty-seven years. On the death of Mr. Hill he was chosen Festival choir-master, and was also conductor of the Norwich Philharmonic Society and of the Norfolk and Suffolk Church Choral Association.
June 2nd 1883
Died at Broad House, Wroxham, Mr. Alfred John N. Chamberlin, in his 60th year. He was a prominent supporter of aquatic sports, and the annual regatta on Wroxham Broad was mainly kept up by his energy. Mr. Chamberlin had been a member of the Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club from its commencement, and was one of the promoters of the National Fisheries Exhibition at Norwich.
June 5th 1883
In the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, before Mr. Justice Chitty, was heard the action, the Mayor and Corporation of Norwich _v._ Browne and other inhabitants of Pockthorpe, by which the plaintiffs sought to establish the title of the citizens to Mousehold Heath. Judgment was given on the 7th, in favour of the Corporation, to whom the Ecclesiastical Commissioners had transferred their rights in the Heath. It was understood that if the defendants loyally accepted the judgment, no attempt would be made by the Corporation to enforce costs. On November 5th an official inquiry was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, by Mr. H. S. Milman, Assistant Land Commissioner, into objections or suggestions respecting a draft scheme prepared for the regulation of Mousehold Heath. (_See_ April 28th, 1884.)
June 18th 1883
Died at Bournemouth, Major Charles Loftus. A son of General William Loftus, of Kilbride, co. Wicklow, Colonel of the 2nd Dragoon Guards, and lieutenant of the Tower of London, by his second wife, Lady Elizabeth Townshend, only surviving daughter of George, first Marquis Townshend, he was born at Stiffkey, on September 21st, 1796, and entered the Royal Navy in 1809. He served until the conclusion of the war, in 1815, when an accidental fall from the main rigging to the quarterdeck of his ship necessitated his retirement. He so far recovered as to be able to take a commission in the Coldstream Guards, which, however, he was compelled to resign by increasing affliction. In 1835 he married a daughter of Colonel John Dixon, of Gledhow, Yorkshire, and settled at Dunham Cottage, Norfolk. On Lord Sondes’ retirement from the command of the Norfolk Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry, in 1838, he was made Major Commandant of the corps, which in 1841 was, by Royal permission, entitled Prince Albert’s Own Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry. When in 1849 blindness compelled him to live in retirement, Major Loftus occupied his time by dictating recollections of his youth and after life, which were published in two series, “My Youth by Land and Sea,” and “My Life from 1815 to 1849.”
June 20th 1883
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Fakenham. Prince Albert Victor came from Sandringham and made a tour of the showyard in company with Lord Hastings, the president for the year. The show was continued on the 21st.
June 30th 1883
A disastrous thunderstorm occurred at Norwich. Many of the low-lying streets were flooded by the rain water, and in Grove Street, Unthank’s Road, a man sheltering beneath a tree was struck dead by lightning. Another man was killed by lightning on the farm of Mr. Keable, at Earlham, and some of the farm buildings were destroyed by fire. In several parts of the county stacks were fired and live stock killed.
July 9th 1883
Died at Southtown, Yarmouth, Commander Francis Harris, R.N. He entered the Navy on July 12th, 1805, as first-class volunteer on board the Temeraire, 98, Captain Harvey and Sir Charles Hamilton, in which ship he was present at the battle of Trafalgar. From 1826 to 1860 he was employed with the Coast Guard, and retired with the rank of commander.
July 13th 1883
Died at Tunstead, the Rev. G. H. Harris, aged 57, for twenty years rector of the parish. Mr. Harris was well known for his exertions in behalf of church bell-ringing, and was the means of reviving the art not only in his own neighbourhood, but in other parts of the county. He was the originator and honorary secretary of the Norwich Diocesan Association of Ringers.
July 14th 1883
In the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, before Vice-Chancellor Bacon, an order was made for the compulsory winding-up of the Norwich Equitable Fire Insurance Company, which was stated to be insolvent.
July 25th 1883
Died at East Dereham, where he had spent the declining years of his life, Mr. Antonio James Oury, the celebrated violinist. Mr. Oury was born in London in 1800. His father, a native of Nice and of noble descent, left home to follow the early campaigns of the then General Bounaparte, and was taken prisoner by the British and landed near Southampton, at which place he married, in 1799, the daughter of a Mr. Hughes, a musician and dancing master. Young Oury at the age of three years commenced violin playing under the tuition of his father and George Macfarren. In 1812 he became the pupil of three eminent professors, Mori, Spagnoletti, and Kiessewetter; and in 1820 he went to Paris to study under Baillot, Kreutzer, and Lupont. Returning to England, he made his début at the London Philharmonic Society, and afterwards became joint leader with Francis Cramer at the Birmingham, York, Leicester, and Derby Musical Festivals, and made several operatic tours in Ireland. In 1826 he was engaged as leader of the ballet, sub-leader of the opera, and solo violinist at the King’s Theatre, and as successor to Mori and Lacy he held this tripartite post for five years. Oury married, in 1831, the distinguished pianist, Mdlle. Belleville, whose father had been an officer of Napoleon’s. In 1832 they left England for Hamburg, Berlin, St. Petersburg, and Moscow, gave twenty-three concerts during a residence of two years in Russia, and returned to Berlin. They next visited Leipzig, Dresden, Prague, and Vienna. After a brilliant sojourn of two years in the Austrian capital Oury visited Pesth and Buda, gave seven concerts with great success and profit, played in the presence of the Imperial Court at the Bourge Theatre, Vienna, and returned to Munich. Accompanied by Madame Oury he gave concerts in all the principal towns on the Rhine, and arrived in Holland, where his wife was attacked by a serious illness, which interrupted several professional engagements. They subsequently visited a number of other places on the Continent, and returned to England after an absence of nine years. In 1846–47 Oury and his accomplished partner visited Italy, gave concerts at Rome, Naples, Venice, and Milan, and returned to England in 1848. Oury removed to Norwich in 1868, and after being some years resident there, proceeded to Dereham, where he lived with Mr. Arthur Mori.
August 6th 1883
Lady Walsingham unveiled a fountain and rest erected at Swaffham as a memorial to Sir William Bagge, Bart., for thirty-six years a representative in Parliament of the Western Division of the county. Its cost, which amounted to £800, was defrayed by public subscription.
August 7th 1883
Died suddenly at a board meeting of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, of which he was a director, Mr. Elijah Crosier Bailey, Clerk of the Peace for the city, aged 65. He was head of the firm of Bailey, Cross, and Barnard, solicitors, and was appointed Clerk to the Norwich Board of Guardians in 1844, in succession to Mr. Roger Kerrison, and resigned in 1879. On the death of Mr. Arthur Dalrymple in 1868 he was elected Clerk of the Peace. Mr. Bailey was for many years secretary of the Norfolk Agricultural Association, and on his resignation of that office was appointed honorary director. A warm supporter of the party, he was for a long period Conservative agent for East Norfolk. Mr. Bailey married, first, Miss Cann, daughter of Mr. W. R. Cann, of Wymondham, by whom he left four sons; and, secondly, in January, 1879, Miss Haselwood, of Swardon, Kent, granddaughter of Sir Edward Dering, Bart., M.P.
August 7th 1883
At Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Day, Joseph Betts, described as a labourer, was charged with maliciously sending to the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Norwich, on June 5th, a letter threatening to murder him. Mr. Blofeld, for the prosecution, said that the Bishop was of opinion that the prisoner had no real intention to take any step towards carrying out his threat, and was desirous that the case should be withdrawn. The judge said that his lordship had acted in a very handsome and generous manner, and allowed the prosecution to be withdrawn on the prisoner entering into recognisances to keep the peace towards the Bishop and all other persons. At the Norwich Police Court on September 21st Betts was charged with knowingly, wilfully, and feloniously sending to Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P., a letter, signed “Another Invincible,” threatening to murder him “unless he fairly and proportionately distributed his last year’s balance among his workmen.” He was committed for trial, and at the Assizes on October 27th was sentenced by Lord Justice Fry to twelve calendar months’ imprisonment. (_See_ February 21st, 1889.)
August 11th 1883
The scheme prepared by the Charity Commissioners for the future management of the endowed schools and children’s hospitals in connection with King Edward VI.’s charity and Anguish’s and Norman’s charities, was published. The scheme for the Grammar and Commercial Schools was practically the same as those promulgated in 1878. In the matter of Anguish’s charity, it was proposed to divide the endowment into two parts, one to be called Thomas Anguish’s endowment for boys, and the other Thomas Anguish’s endowment for girls. The existing boys’ school was to be given up, the master pensioned, and the income devoted, so far as £200 yearly was concerned, to providing lodging, clothing, and maintenance for boys holding exhibitions preferentially awarded under the scheme. With the rest of the income the governors were to maintain seven special exhibitions for poor boys who for not less than three years had been scholars in some public elementary school or schools, and as many general exhibitions for poor boys as the income available would allow to be tenable at either of King Edward VI. schools. As to Thomas Anguish’s endowment for girls, the girls’ hospital was to be abolished and the income applied in the same way as that for boys, except that £300 yearly was to be devoted to providing lodging, clothing, and maintenance for orphan or other necessitous girls. Norman’s charity was to cease to exist in its then form, the master pensioned, and the endowment to be appropriated to the maintenance of a girls’ middle school, the scheme for which was practically the same as that for the King Edward VI. Middle School for Boys, and to be known as Norman’s School, provision being made for the acquisition by purchase of the Girls’ Hospital School at Lakenham by the new governors of the Norman School. On August 28th the Norwich Town Council passed resolutions in opposition to the scheme, on the ground that it was contrary to the wishes of the founders and of the people of Norwich; and similar resolutions were carried at a meeting of the Norwich Charities Protection Society held at the Guildhall on September 10th, under the presidency of the Sheriff. (_See_ February 3rd, 1888.)
August 20th 1883
Miss Maude Branscombe and her London company appeared at Norwich Theatre in the comedy, “Masks and Dominoes,” and the burlesque, “Undine, or ye Nymph, ye Knight, and ye Awful Fright.”
August 20th 1883
The Norfolk acid Norwich Hospital was opened by the Duke and Duchess of Connaught upon its completion. The actual expenditure to this date had been £51,179, of which about £39,118 had been obtained by subscription, £10,192 was withdrawn from invested capital, and £2,569 was advanced to the treasurer by Messrs. Gurney and Co. To wholly clear the new building from debt about £5,000 was required. The Duke and Duchess were received at Thorpe Station by the Mayor (Mr. C. R. Gilman), the Sheriff (Mr. S. Newman), the Deputy-Mayor (Mr. W. Hunter), the Earl of Leicester, and other representatives of the Hospital. His Royal Highness, after replying to an address read by the Town Clerk, drove with the Duchess through the gaily decorated streets of the city to the Hospital, where Prince Albert Victor had arrived some time previously from Horstead Hall in company with Mr. Edward Birkbeck, M.P. After the formal opening of the building their Royal Highnesses visited the various departments, and attended a grand bazaar held in the grounds; and later in the afternoon proceeded to Cotton Hall as the guests of Mr. S. Gurney Buxton and Miss Buxton. On the morning of the 21st their Royal Highnesses visited the Cathedral, and left for London at 2.55 p.m. The Hospital bazaar, which remained open until the 25th, produced net receipts amounting to £5,779 5s. 3d.
August 28th 1883
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Mr. J. Wilson Gilbert was elected Clerk of the Peace by 27 votes, against 25 recorded for Mr. George Alden Stevens.
September 3rd 1883
Died, at Norwich, Mr. Alfred Master, F.R.C.S., aged 67. He was a son of Colonel Harcourt Master, and was born at Catton. A pupil of Mr. P. N. Scott, and afterwards of Mr. J. Godwin Johnson, with whom he became associated in practice, Mr. Master was for many years surgeon of the County Gaol. He was a magistrate of the city and a prominent member of the committee of the Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival.
September 7th 1883
Knapton church was re-opened by the Bishop of Norwich. It had been restored at the cost of about £2,000.
September 10th 1883
Mr. J. C. Buckmaster, of the Science and Art Department, South Kensington, delivered a lecture at Cromer on “Science Teaching in Agriculture.” Mr. Buckmaster also lectured at North Walsham, Coltishall, Aylsham, Wymondham, and Norwich.
September 10th 1883
Mr. Sheil Barry made his first appearance on the Norwich stage in his famous impersonation of Gaspard in “Les Cloches de Corneville.”
September 14th 1883
Died, in his 83rd year, the Rev. John Methold, vicar of Wighton. He was educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge, and was appointed to his living in 1839. “It is a singular fact that the last three vicars of Wighton, Mr. Charles, Mr. Tickell, and Mr. Methold, held the vicarage for no less than 143 years.” Mr. Methold played for Harrow in the first cricket match which that school won against Eton.
September 15th 1883
Died, at his residence, Ber Street House, Norwich, Mr. John May Robberds, of the firm of Fosters, Burroughes, and Robberds, solicitors, aged 74. A son of John Warden Robberds, who in his day was a geologist of some note, and contributed the historical and geological notes to “Stark’s River Scenery,” Mr. Robberds had lived in comparative retirement for upwards of half a century. He was unrivalled as an authority upon conveyancing law.
October 1st 1883
At Norwich Police Court, Mr. William Sidney, proprietor of the Theatre Royal, made application for a licence for the performance of stage plays in that building. He stated that it was fifty years since he first performed at the Theatre, when, under the management of Mr. Davenport, it was open all the year round, and was understood to be a patent theatre. It was afterwards purchased by a company of which Sir William Foster and Mr. Robberds were the chairmen. He (Mr. Sidney) became lessee and afterwards proprietor, and purchased the shares and freehold land. The understanding during all those years was that it was a patent theatre and required no licence from the magistrates. The Town Clerk had requested him to produce the patent, but neither he nor his solicitors (Messrs. Rackham) were able to do so. Eventually a patent was found, but to their great surprise it was granted to one Thomas Ivory for seven months in the year only, commencing November 1st. The Town Clerk explained to the magistrates that the attention of the Executive Committee of the Corporation having been called to the necessity of certain structural alterations at the Theatre, Mr. Sidney was requested to have them carried out, and in consequence of his non-compliance the Lord Chamberlain was communicated with, and then it appeared that no patent had been granted to a theatre in Norwich since 1768. The magistrates, before granting the licence, required Mr. Sidney to comply with the demands of the Corporation, and on the 19th, it being reported that the work was completed, his application was acceded to.
October 15th 1883
The coming of age of Mr. John Cator, eldest son of Mr. Albemarle Cator, was celebrated at Woodbastwick by a village _fête_.
October 18th 1883
The Duke of Portland laid the last stone of a new dock at Lynn.
October 30th 1883
The Norwich Diocesan Conference was opened at the Victoria Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop. The proceedings concluded on the 31st.
November 9th 1883
Dr. Eade was elected Mayor and Mr. J. Farrar Ranson appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 12th 1883
Col. Boileau, at the annual distribution of prizes to the 1st Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment, announced his impending retirement from the command of the corps. He was succeeded by Lieut.-Colonel Mansel.
November 23rd 1883
The headquarters of the 4th (Queen’s Own) Hussars arrived at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich.
November 24th 1883
A fire occurred on the premises of Mr. Ilott, Bridewell Alley, Norwich, and caused damage to the amount of between £1,200 and £1,500.
December 3rd 1883
Mr. David James commenced a six nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre in the character of Perkyn Middlewick (“Our Boys”).
December 18th 1883
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council an important letter was read from Mr. John Gurney, of Sprowston Hall, referring to the opportunity then afforded to acquire Norwich Castle and the surrounding grounds for the use and recreation of the citizens. (_See_ February 19th, 1884.)
December 26th 1883
The holiday attraction at Norwich Theatre was the production of the Drury Lane drama, “Youth,” by Messrs. Holt and Wilmot’s company.
December 28th 1883
The Mayor and Mayoress of Norwich (Dr. and Mrs. Eade) entertained 820 aged men and women at St. Andrew’s Hall.