January 7th 1882
Great discontent was caused among the agriculturists of the county by the issue of a Privy Council Order directing the closing of the markets for the sale of store stock, owing to the recurrence of foot-and-mouth disease. At a meeting of the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, a resolution was adopted and forwarded to Earl Spencer, declaring “that the severe restrictions imposed on the sale of cattle in the county were uncalled-for, and that a heavy penalty inflicted upon all persons moving diseased cattle would be a sufficient protection from disease.” On the 14th Mr. Edward Birkbeck, M.P., presided at a large meeting held at Norwich Corn Hall, at which resolutions were adopted protesting against “harassing and unnecessary restrictions, entailing serious loss upon the farming community”; and on the 18th a deputation appointed by the meeting waited upon Earl Spencer, with the object of obtaining relaxation of the restrictions. An important conference of the local authorities and Privy Council inspectors was held on the 21st, to discuss the state of the cattle lairs at Trowse and Lakenham, when it was resolved that as the local authorities had done all in their power to check the spread of the disease through the lairs, the Privy Council be requested to take such further steps as might seem desirable. On the 28th a telegram was received from the Privy Council, stating that the Order relating to the sale of fat beasts had been so far relaxed as to permit animals that had been offered at a public sale in a place not infected being sent within six days to the Metropolitan markets; and on February 17th the “London Gazette” announced that the restrictions in Norfolk, Essex, and Suffolk had been removed. Another outbreak occurred in December, and on the 9th of that month Norwich market was closed in respect to the sale of fat cattle. On the same day a large meeting of farmers, graziers, and dealers was held, under the auspices of the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, for the purpose of supporting an application made by Mr. Birkbeck, M.P., to the Vice-President of the Privy Council (Mr. Mundella), “that other than the Metropolitan market be opened to fat cattle sold on Norwich Hill and at the cattle sales held in the county.” On December 23rd it was announced that the authorities of the county and city were taking energetic measures to stop the sale of store stock unless the animals had been on a farm or premises fourteen days, and persons were appointed to watch the movements of animals, with the view of detecting any evasion of the Privy Council Order. (_See_ March 17th, 1883.)
January 10th 1882
Mr. J. L. Toole appeared with Mr. G. Loveday’s London Folly Company at Norwich Theatre, and continued his performances on the 11th, 12th, and 13th. His characters were Barnaby Doublechick (“Upper Crust”), Spriggins (“Ici On Parle Français”), Paul Pry, Tom Cranky (“Birthplace of Podgers”), Caleb Plummer (“Dot”), and Tittums (“The Steeplechase”).
January 11th 1882
An “Old English Fair,” in aid of the restoration fund of the church of St. Peter Mancroft, was opened at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, and continued on the 12th and 13th. A total profit of £1,880 10s. 6d. resulted, and by the first week in March the required sum—£4,000—for the completion of the work had been raised. (_See_ April 29th, 1883.)
February 13th 1882
Died at his residence, Unthank’s Road, Norwich, the Rev. George Gould, minister of St. Mary’s chapel, aged 63. Mr. Gould was a native of Bristol, and, on entering the Baptist ministry, took charge of the Abbey church, Abbey street, Dublin. Thence he removed to Exeter, and in the spring of 1849 succeeded the Rev. W. Brock in the Norwich pastorate. He was president of the Baptist Union in 1879–80, chairman of the Norwich School Board, and for several years a governor of the Grammar School and Commercial School. Mr. Gould was very decided in his religious and political opinions, and firm in upholding them; in private life he was greatly esteemed.
March 1st 1882
A fine steamer, named the Levadia, of Newcastle, bound from Shields to Alexandria, with coals, was wrecked on the Middle Cross Sand, five miles off Yarmouth. Several men were drowned by the upsetting of one of the ship’s boats, others who had lashed themselves to the masts of the vessel perished from cold and exposure, and of the crew of twenty-five a solitary survivor, Thomas Sewell, a Yarmouth man, was rescued by the Gorleston lifeboat.
March 2nd 1882
Mr. Arthur H. Mann, B.Mus., of New College, Oxford, organist at King’s College, Cambridge, whose exercise, “Ecce Homo,” had been performed on the previous day in the Sheldonian Theatre, was admitted to the degree of Doctor of Music.
March 7th 1882
The first Good Friday performance of “The Messiah,” took place at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. Mr. F. W. B. Noverre was leader of the band, Dr. Bunnett organist, and Dr. Hill conductor.
March 21st 1882
The Norwich Town Council adopted a memorial to the Secretary of State for War, in which the War Office was petitioned to retain Norwich as a cavalry station. The Mayor, Sheriff, and the members of Parliament for the city, on May 5th, waited upon the Secretary of State for War, and urged the retention of cavalry headquarters in the city, in addition to its being made the brigade depot of the Norfolk Regiment. (_See_ March 24th, 1883.)
March 25th 1882
The Spring Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was held on the Lakenham Cricket Ground, Norwich.
March 25th 1882
The Earl of Leicester performed the ceremony of laying the foundation-stone of the Norfolk and Norwich Agricultural Hall, at Norwich. On April 27th, in the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, before the Vice-Chancellor, Sir C. Hall, application was made on behalf of Mr. Philip Back for an injunction against the Corporation of Norwich and the Agricultural Hall Company, Limited, to restrain them from erecting the hall, on the ground that the Corporation had no power to let the land, which had been dedicated from time immemorial to fairs and markets. The hearing was adjourned until May 20th, when the Court refused the application; and on November 11th it was announced that Mr. Back had consented to abandon the action. (_See_ November 16th.)
March 31st 1882
In the House of Commons, the opposition of the Dean and Chapter and other residents in the Cathedral Close, Norwich, to the invasion of the precincts of the Cathedral by the Lynn and Fakenham Railway Company was successful, the company being compelled, by the strong feeling expressed against the proposed route, to withdraw that portion of their Bill affecting the Close.
April 14th 1882
The last sections of the line of railway from Wroxham to the Wells branch of the Great Eastern Railway Company, by which the union of East and West Norfolk was effected, was inspected, on its completion, by Major-General Hutchinson. The line was opened for traffic on May 1st.
April 15th 1882
A party of about twenty members of the North Walsham and Aylsham Agricultural Association started from Norwich on a trip to Holland, the expenses of which were defrayed by Mr. Samuel Hoare and Sir T. Fowell Buxton, Bart. They arrived at Rotterdam on the 16th. In the course of the tour much valuable information was obtained regarding the Dutch systems of agriculture and dairying.
April 18th 1882
The portrait of Mr. Harry Bullard, to which fifteen hundred persons subscribed, in recognition of his eminent services to the city, was hung in St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. It was painted by Mr. Frank Holl, A.R.A.
April 22nd 1882
A county meeting, in furtherance of the movement originated by the Prince of Wales for establishing a Royal College of Music, was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Earl of Leicester.
April 25th 1882
Mary Ann Plunkett, aged nineteen, was murdered at Mill Hill, Catton, by a youth of twenty-two, named William George Abigail, who shot her in the head with a revolver. He was tried at Ipswich Assizes, before Mr. Baron Pollock, and sentenced to death. The execution was carried out at Norwich Castle, by Marwood, on May 22nd.
May 13th 1882
The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture discussed the financial proposals made by Government with regard to the maintenance of highways. The following motion, by Mr. C. S. Read, was adopted: “That this Chamber approves of the principle of relieving local rates by applying some special taxes towards the repair of main roads, but considers the proposals of the Government are no sufficient remedy for the extra cost of maintenance of main roads, and expresses its disappointment that a contribution of only £250,000 from the Imperial finances can be given in aid of local rates without the imposition of additional taxation.”
May 17th 1882
Cardinal Manning addressed a great meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in furtherance of the principle of Local Option. His Eminence, on August 30th, again visited Norwich, and at the Victoria Hall addressed the members of the Roman Catholic temperance society—the League of the Cross.
May 21st 1882
Died at his house in Grosvenor Square, London, William Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Grafton. His Grace was the eldest son of Henry, fifth Duke, by Mary Caroline, third daughter of Admiral the Hon. George Cranefeld Berkeley. He was born on August 4th, 1819; served as an _attaché_ of the British Legation at Naples in 1841, and represented Thetford in the House of Commons from 1847 to 1863. In politics his Grace was a Whig of the old school.
May 31st 1882
The new Town Hall at Yarmouth was opened by the Prince of Wales. After the ceremony, at which a loyal address was read on behalf of the burgesses by the Recorder (Mr. Simms Reeve), the Mayor (Mr. C. C. Aldred) entertained his Royal Highness and a distinguished company to luncheon. On June 1st the Prince of Wales inspected the Norfolk Artillery, and left the town on June 2nd.
June 1st 1882
A sacred and operatic concert was given at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, under the direction of Sir Julius Benedict, in aid of the funds of the Jenny Lind Infirmary for Sick Children. The performers included Madame Blanche Cole, Miss Lucy Franklein, Madame Alice Barth, Mr. Faulkner Leigh, Mr. Aynsley Cook, &c., and the band and chorus were composed of the opera company performing at the Theatre Royal and of the members of the Norfolk and Norwich Festival Choir.
June 2nd 1882
At Norwich Theatre was produced Sir Julius Benedict’s romantic opera, “The Lily of Killarney,” under the personal direction of the composer. The performance was repeated on the 3rd.
June 22nd 1882
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Norwich, in the grounds of Mr. A. R. Chamberlin, Ipswich Road, and was continued on the 23rd. Mr. Henry Birkbeck presided at the public luncheon.
July 2nd 1882
The Right Rev. Samuel Crowther, D.D., Bishop of the Niger district of Africa, preached at St. Giles’ church, Norwich, and at the Cathedral. Originally an African slave-boy, he was the first Bishop of the negro race, and at the time of his visit to Norwich was 70 years of age.
July 8th 1882
It was announced that Sir Willoughby Jones, Bart., had resigned the senior chairmanship of the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, to which position he was elected in October, 1856. On October 19th, Mr. J. R. Bulwer, Q.C., M.P., Recorder of Cambridge, was elected to fill the vacancy.
July 22nd 1882
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions of Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp at Yarmouth, under the respective commands of Lieut.-Colonel H. E. Buxton, Lieut.-Colonel Bulwer, and Lieut.-Colonel R. T. Gurdon, M.P.
July 24th 1882
Bishop Pelham, who, on June 11th, completed the twenty-fifth year of his episcopate, received at the Palace, Norwich, a congratulatory address from the clergy of the several archdeaconries. (A portrait of his lordship, painted by Mr. W. Owles, R.A., was presented to him on October 18th, 1883.)
August 3rd 1882
The officers of the 7th Dragoon Guards were entertained to luncheon at the Guildhall, Norwich, by the Mayor (Mr. W. Hunter), prior to the departure of the regiment for active service in Egypt. The right wing left Trowse station on the 4th, and sailed from the South West India Docks, in the Egyptian Monarch, on the 5th. The left wing proceeded from Trowse to Southampton on the 6th. On the departure of the cavalry, the Barracks were temporarily occupied by a detachment of the 1st Battalion Norfolk Regiment, from Colchester. In September the citizens sent a petition to the Secretary of State for War, asking that the 7th Dragoons might be permitted to return to Norwich, but the authorities were unable to accede to the request.
August 12th 1882
The first reference was made to the commencement of operations in Norwich by the Salvation Army, who had “secured St. Giles’ Hall, formerly the Skating Rink, and converted it into suitable quarters.” Frequent complaints of nuisances created by the “Army” were from time to time addressed to the magistrates. “General” Booth made his first visit to Norwich on September 9th.
August 23rd 1882
Mr. J. J. Henley and Dr. Airey, Local Government Board Inspectors, opened an inquiry at Norwich Workhouse into certain cases of alleged injury from vaccination reported to the Department by Mr. Ralph Lee Bliss. Eight definite cases were submitted, and in each the operation had been performed by the public vaccinator (Dr. Guy), at the vaccination station. Six of these cases were investigated. Subsequently five other cases were submitted, but only two were the subject of inquiry, the others being private cases, into which the Inspectors had no power to enquire. The inquiry concluded on September 4th. The Commissioners, in their report, dated October 21st, stated that no blame was to be attached to the public vaccinator as to the performance of his duties; “but we think,” they added, “he should discontinue the use again and again of the same ivory points, and we consider it was an error of judgment on his part to continue vaccination attendance while he was daily visiting cases of erysipelas, without taking more than ordinary precautions to guard against the spread of infection.”
September 1st 1882
A three weeks’ mission, in furtherance of the Blue Ribbon movement, was commenced in Norwich by its founder, Mr. Francis Murphy. The new pledges taken during the mission numbered 10,000, and upwards of 15,000 blue ribbons were distributed.
September 1st 1882
The express service from the Eastern Counties to Doncaster was opened by the Great Eastern Railway Company, over their own and the Great Northern joint line.
September 5th 1882
The coming of age of Mr. Russell J. Colman, eldest son of Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P., was celebrated by a dinner given in the grounds of Carrow House, to between 3,000 and 4,000 of the _employés_ at Carrow Works.
September 9th 1882
The death was recorded of Mr. John Laffan Hanly, proprietor and editor of the “Levant Times,” at Constantinople, at the age of 48. Mr. Hanly was for some time chief reporter on the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, and subsequently editor of the “Lincolnshire Chronicle.”
September 13th 1882
The French fishing lugger, La Reine des Anges, deeply laden with herring, was wrecked on the Middle Cross Sand off Yarmouth, and of her crew of eighteen, ten were drowned.
September 17th 1882
Special thanksgivings were offered in the churches in Norwich “for the glorious success achieved by our arms at Tel-el-Kebir, with the consequent collapse of the rebellion of Arabi and the prospect of the restoration of peace in Egypt.”
September 24th 1882
Died at Yarmouth, Mr. Charles John Palmer, F.S.A. He was Mayor of the borough in 1835, 1854, and 1855, and was very zealous in promoting various local undertakings, among which was the restoration of the parish church. Mr. Palmer was the author of several antiquarian works, the best known of which is his “Perlustration of Great Yarmouth.”
September 27th 1882
The coming of age of Mr. Edward Evans Lombe, eldest son of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe, was celebrated at Bylaugh Park.
October 21st 1882
Died at East Dereham, Mr. George Alfred Carthew, F.S.A., M.A., aged 75. Mr. Carthew, who was known throughout the kingdom as an able archæologist, contributed many valuable papers to the journals of learned societies. He was the author of “A History of the Hundred of Launditch,” and of a similar work, passing through the press at the time of his death, on the topography, archæology, genealogy, and biography of East and West Bradenham, Necton, and Holme Hale. He had vast stores of curious information, acquired in the course of a life-long study of matters illustrating the history of the county in ancient times. He was a descendant of the old Cornish family of Carthew, a member of which, Thomas Carthew, of Canalidgy, married, in the year 1685, Mary Colby, of Banham. Mr. Carthew helped to found the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, and to establish its position among the learned societies of the kingdom.
October 24th 1882
An inquiry, directed by the Charity Commissioners for England and Wales, under the Endowed Schools Act, 1869, was opened at the Guildhall, Norwich, by Mr. C. H. Stanton, into the matter of the endowments commonly known as the Grammar School of the foundation of King Edward VI., the Commercial School of the same foundation, the Boys’ Hospital, the Girls’ Hospital, and Norman’s Charity. Many prominent citizens made statements before the Commissioner, who closed his inquiry on the 25th. (_See_ August 11th, 1883.)
October 26th 1882
A remarkable case of somnambulism occurred on this date. A girl of seventeen, employed as general servant by a shopkeeper at Felthorpe, after retiring to rest at nine o’clock, got out of bed, and, having put on a dress and a pair of boots, climbed out of the bed-room window, and, without waking, reached the ground by groping along the roof of a lean-to shed. She then walked to Cawston, a distance of five miles, and was found about four o’clock in the morning sitting fast asleep on the doorstep of her father’s house. She was stiff, cold, and speechless, and on being restored to warmth and consciousness, stated that she had no recollection whatever of having left her bed.
October 28th 1882
A severe gale, accompanied by wrecks and loss of life, occurred on the Norfolk coast.
October 28th 1882
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Lindley, James Charles Edwards, 37, solicitor’s clerk, pleaded guilty to forging certain documents. The prisoner read a written statement, in which he said, “A love for pictures was my ruin, a craving desire and mania to possess myself of something better than my neighbours gradually developed, until at last it became a madness with me.” He was sentenced to ten years’ penal servitude.
November 2nd 1882
The Norwich Diocesan Conference was opened at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich. The sittings concluded on the 3rd.
November 9th 1882
Mr. Charles Rackham Gilman was elected Mayor, and Mr. Samuel Newman appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 16th 1882
The new Agricultural Hall at Norwich was opened by the Prince of Wales, on the occasion of the first exhibition held within the building by the Norfolk and Norwich Christmas Show Association. Among the distinguished company who received his Royal Highness were the Earl of Leicester, the Marquis of Hamilton, the Earl of Rosebery, Lord Walsingham, Lord Hastings, Lord Claud Hamilton, the High Sheriff, the Mayor of Norwich and Mrs. Gilman, &c. The Prince of Wales, having declared the hall open, made a tour of the show, and subsequently attended a meeting in the Farmers’ Room, at which the recently-formed Prisoners’ Aid Society was inaugurated. [The Christmas Show has since been held annually at the hall in the month of November.]
November 17th 1882
The Rev. W. L. Blackley, rector of North Waltham, Hampshire, author of “Essays on the Prevention of Pauperism,” delivered an address at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, on his scheme of “national insurance or compulsory providence.” On the 18th Mr. Blackley addressed a second meeting, held at Noverre’s Rooms, under the presidency of Lord Walsingham.
November 21st 1882
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Merton Hall, on a visit to Lord and Lady Walsingham.
December 2nd 1882
The opening of the Norwich extension of the Lynn and Fakenham Railway, completed on November 21st, was celebrated by a _déjeuner_ given at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, by the contractors, Messrs. Wilkinson and Jarvis. Sir William ffolkes, Bart., presided over the large and representative gathering.
December 7th 1882
The action, Boswell _v._ Coaks, came before Mr. Justice Pearson. His lordship stated that he was intimately acquainted with one of the defendants, and suggested that the action be taken elsewhere. All parties agreed, and the trial was consequently deferred. (_See_ February 26th, 1883.)
December 18th 1882
A large portion of Gunton Hall, the seat of Lord Suffield, was destroyed by fire.
December 18th 1882
An important public meeting, presided over by the Mayor (Mr. C. R. Gilman) was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which resolutions were adopted in favour of the entire prohibition of the use of drag-nets in the Yare and Wensum.
December 26th 1882
Messrs. T. W. Robertson and H. Bruce’s Company appeared at Norwich Theatre, in the farcical comedy, “The Guv’nor.”
December 28th 1882
A meeting of the clergy and laity of the diocese was held at the Clerical Rooms, Norwich, at which Dean Goulburn moved, “That the proposed memorial to Dr. Pusey, embodying as it does a scheme for the purchase of his library and the appointment of clergy of the Church of England as librarians, who shall devote themselves to theological research and instruction, and to the help and counsel of junior members of the University, deserves the cordial and earnest support of all Churchmen.” The motion was adopted, and a committee appointed to obtain funds towards the establishment and maintenance of the proposed memorial.
December 29th 1882
Woodbastwick Hall, the seat of Mr. Albemarle Cator, was destroyed by fire, involving the loss of about £40,000.