January 17th 1880
Died at St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, in his 63rd year, Mr. Arthur Morris Foster Morgan, surgeon. He was third son of Mr. Richard Morgan, actuary of the Norwich Union Life Insurance Society, and after completing his professional studies was appointed medical-officer of the Norwich Dispensary, a post which he relinquished on entering into private practice. Mr. Morgan was president of the Board of Directors of the Norwich Equitable Fire Insurance Company, and held several other public appointments. For twenty years he was a member of the Corporation, and for some time was an alderman of the city. In polities he was a Liberal.
February 12th 1880
Died at his residence, Stradsett Hall, near Downham Market, Sir William Bagge, Bart., M.P. One of twins born on June 17th, 1810, he was a son of Mr. Thomas Philip Bagge, and priority of birth entitled him to the family estates, to which he succeeded on the death of his father, on June 30th, 1827. In 1833 he married Frances, fourth daughter of Sir Thomas Preston, Bart., of Beeston Hall, and two years after made his entry into public life by acceding to a request to contest the Parliamentary representation of West Norfolk, which had hitherto been in undisturbed possession of the Whigs. In this first attempt to break down the political monopoly exercised in the division Mr. Bagge was unsuccessful; three years subsequently, however, he and Mr. Chute were returned. In 1841 he and his colleague were returned unopposed. In 1847 the Liberals made another attempt, and succeeded in electing one of their candidates, the Hon. E. K. Coke, but were unable to displace Mr. Bagge from his position. In 1852 Mr. Bagge was joined by Mr. G. W. P. Bentinck, and the contest resulted in an easy victory over Mr. Hamond. It was deemed advisable by both sides in 1857 to have a compromise, and Mr. Bagge, “from private reasons, and a desire not to disturb the peace of the county,” retired to make room for Mr. Gurdon, who, with Mr. Bentinck, thereafter represented the division. At the General Election in 1865 the Conservatives resolved to take the entire representation, and Mr. Bentinck’s state of health not allowing him to undertake the fatigue of a contest, Mr. Bagge was asked to come forward with the Hon. T. de Grey. The result was a large increase of Conservative strength and the return of both candidates. In 1867 the honour of a baronetcy was conferred upon Mr. Bagge, in recognition of his valuable political services. Sir William was succeeded by his eldest son, William Henry Ernest, who was born in 1840.
February 14th 1880
A public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, for the purpose of making known in the county the aims and objects of the Farmers’ Alliance. Mr. Henry Birkbeck presided, and it was asserted that the society was non-political. “Everything passed smoothly until the hon. member for South Norfolk, Mr. C. S. Read, ventured to take a different view from that of preceding speakers, and he was subjected to persistent interruption by certain well-known Liberal politicians.” Mr. J. Howard, president of the Alliance, and Mr. J. W. Barclay, M.P. for Forfarshire, were among the speakers.
February 17th 1880
Two monster pike were captured in private waters in the county. One, taken by Mr. Joseph English, of Upper St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, weighed 30½ lbs., and measured from the nose to the fork of the tail nearly 46 inches; its girth was 24 inches, and the length of its head 13 inches. The other, killed by Mr. Frank Thorns, of Exchange Street, Norwich, was 47 inches in length, and 27 inches in girth; its head from the tip of the lower jaw to the edge of the gill covers was 13½ inches.
February 21st 1880
Died at Yarmouth, Mr. James Henry Orde. He was born in Jersey, graduated at Oriel College, Oxford, and was appointed a clerk in the War Office through the influence of his uncle, Lord Raglan. Mr. Orde was appointed private secretary to General Peele, Secretary of State for War, and held that office until 1859, when he went to Yarmouth, and devoted himself to public affairs in that town. He married Margaret Barclay, fourth daughter of Mr. Daniel Gurney, of North Runcton.
February 24th 1880
Died at Ber Street, Norwich, Mr. Samuel Richardson, aged 73. He was well-known in scientific circles as a geologist and antiquary, and as a contributor to various periodicals.
February 25th 1880
Died at his residence, the Upper Close, Norwich, Dr. Edward Copeman. For nearly half a century he occupied a prominent position in the medical profession of East Anglia. The eldest son of Mr. Edward Breese Copeman, merchant, he was born at Great Witchingham on December 26th, 1809, and was educated at Trunch Grammar School, then conducted by the Rev. W. Rees. He became a pupil of Mr. Arthur Brown, of Norwich, on whose death he was transferred to Mr. J. G. Crosse; he subsequently studied at St. George’s Hospital, London, and became M.R.C.S. and L.A.C. in 1832. Soon afterwards he was elected house-surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, which institution he left to enter into general practice with Mr. W. Taylor, at Coltishall. In 1848 he returned to Norwich, and, having graduated as M.D. at Aberdeen University, established himself in consulting practice. Dr. Copeman was afterwards elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, became a member of the Royal College of Physicians, and in 1871 was made a Fellow of that body. In 1851 he was elected physician of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital; he was also physician to the Norwich Eye Infirmary, the Norwich Magdalen, and the Lying-in Charity, and was one of the founders of the Jenny Lind Infirmary for Sick Children, of which institution he was the first physician. Dr. Copeman was a magistrate of the city and a trustee of Doughty’s Hospital. A frequent contributor to the medical literature of the day, he was the author of several standard works, among which were “A Treatise on Apoplexy,” “Records of Obstetric Practice,” “Illustrations of Puerperal Fever,” “Cerebral Diseases of Infancy,” “A History of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital,” &c.
March 6th 1880
A disastrous fire occurred at New Buckenham, in a range of shops and private houses. Damage was done to the amount of £3,000.
March 8th 1880
Mr. William Amhurst Tyssen-Amherst was returned unopposed as the representative of the division of West Norfolk, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Sir William Bagge, Bart., M.P.
March 16th 1880
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, the Town Clerk reported the receipt of a letter from the Home Office, informing him that the old City Gaol had been sold for £7,505, and that, in accordance with the provisions of the Prisons Act, the sum of £1,984 0s. 5d. was due from that amount to the Corporation.
March 29th 1880
Mr. Charles Dillon, “one of the few living actors of the old school” commenced a twelve nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre. He was supported by Miss Bella Mortimer. Among the plays produced were “Richelieu,” “Othello,” “The Merchant of Venice,” “The Gamester,” “Much Ado about Nothing,” and “Macbeth.” The last-named tragedy was performed on Saturday, April 10th, on which occasion Mr. Dillon made his final appearance on the Norwich stage. (_See_ June 24th, 1881.)
March 30th 1880
The nomination of candidates for the representation of Norwich took place. The nominees were Mr. J. J. Column and Mr. J. H. Tillett (liberals), sad Mr. Henry Harben, of Seaford Lodge, Hampstead, and the Hon. F. W. B. Massey-Mainwaring, 30, Grosvenor Place, London (Conservatives). The potting on the 31st resulted as follows: Colman, 6,549; Tillett, 6,512; Harben, 5,242; Massey-Mainwaring 5,032.
March 31st 1880
Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bart., and Mr. Clare Sewell Read (Conservatives), and Mr. Robert Thornhagh Gurdon (Liberal) were nominated candidates for the representation of South Norfolk. The polling took place on April 6th, and the counting of the ballot-papers was proceeded with at the Shirehall, Norwich, on the 7th. “The result of the first count was a dead heat between Mr. Read and Mr. Gurdon, the numbers for both being 2,906. Mr. Read’s agent demanded a second count, and on the clerks going through the papers, one of them discovered a voting-paper for Buxton and Read, on the back of which the voter, in distinct violation of the Ballot Act, had inscribed his name. The rejection of this paper made the numbers as between Mr. Read and Mr. Gurdon 2,905 and 2,906. Thus the seat was lost by one vote, and the official return was made as follows; Buxton, 2,917; Gurdon, 2,906; Read, 2905.” A proposed petition against the return of Mr. Gurdon was abandoned.
April 3rd 1880
Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., and Mr. Edward Birkbeck were returned unopposed for the division of North Norfolk.
April 4th 1880
The funeral took place at Langham of William Nelson, who died at the age of 101 years 4 months.
April 8th 1880
Mr. Kay, Q.C., was appointed third Chairman of the Norfolk Court of Quarter Sessions.
April 8th 1880
King’s Lynn election took place, and resulted as follows: Sir W. ffolkes (Liberal), 1,286; the Hon. R. Bourke (Conservative), 1,257; Lord Claud J. Hamilton (Conservative), 1,192; Mr. Frank Lockwood (Liberal), 1,151.
April 9th 1880
Polling took place in the Western Division of Norfolk, and resulted as follows: Mr. William Amhurst Tyssen-Amherst, 2,671; Mr. G. Bentinck, 2,433; Mr. Anthony Hamond, 2,304.
April 10th 1880
Mr. Thomas Johnson Seppings, of Wormegay Grange, Mayor of King’s Lynn, died suddenly when presiding at a meeting of a Committee of the Corporation, held at the Town Hall. Mr. Seppings was in his 69th year.
April 14th 1880
Lord Walsingham was elected second Chairman of Swaffham Quarter Sessions, in place of Sir William Bagge, deceased.
April 23rd 1880
Mr. Bret Harte, the celebrated American author, delivered, at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, a lecture descriptive of early Californian life, entitled, “The Argonauts of ’49.”
May 3rd 1880
The Norwich City Asylum, at Hellesdon, built by Messrs. Cornish and Gaymer, from plans by Mr. R. M. Phipson, was formally handed over to the Committee of Visitors by the contractors. The wards were designed for the accommodation of 311 patients, and the total cost of the Asylum, including land (£1,841), and building (£48,708) was £62,159.
May 15th 1880
[Advt.] “The Erpingham Coach-and-Four is now running every Tuesday and Saturday, calling at the several parishes on the way. Times and fares can be had at the Maid’s Head Hotel, Norwich, the starting-place.”
May 17th 1880
The Annual Moveable Committee of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows commenced its proceedings at King’s Lynn, and was attended by 400 delegates.
May 19th 1880
The Duke of Edinburgh arrived at Yarmouth, in the discharge his duties as Admiral-Superintendent of Naval Reserves and Coastguards. In the evening his Royal Highness attended a ball given by the officers of the Prince of Wales’ Own Norfolk Artillery Militia, and left Yarmouth on the 21st.
May 21st 1880
A meeting was held at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. H. Bullard), in furtherance of the proposed new line of railway between Lynn, Fakenham, and Norwich. Mr. Walrond Smith, C.E., stated the details of the scheme, and a committee was appointed to promote the progress of a Bill before Parliament. The Corporation of Norwich had previously presented a petition against the railway, but, on the promoters giving an undertaking to construct a new road from Barn Road to a point in St. Martin-at-Oak Street, to be carried over the Wensum by a bridge, the Town Council, on May 26th, consented to the withdrawal of the petition. Before the end of the year a more elaborate scheme was submitted by the promoters, who suggested an extension of the line beyond the intended terminus at North Heigham. It was to cross the Wensum and pass beneath the Fakenham and Aylsham turnpikes to the hamlet of Pockthorpe, to be again carried over the river near Bishop Bridge, and to pass through the Lower Close and St. Faith’s Lane to the Prince of Wales Road, where it was proposed to erect a central station for the accommodation of passengers, goods, and cattle. Application was made to the Corporation to contribute £50,000 towards the cost of the land required for this undertaking. The matter was considered at a meeting of the Town Council on December 21st, when the proposals generally, and the suggested contribution in particular, were ridiculed. The Dean of Norwich, on behalf of the Cathedral body and the inhabitants of the Close, wrote an indignant protest against the contemplated intrusion upon their privacy and injury to their property. The subject was referred to the Parliamentary and Bylaws Committee, who, in due course, condemned the scheme. (_See_ March 31st, 1882.)
May 24th 1880
The Sheriff of Norwich (Mr. Philip Back) revived the observance of the Queen’s birthday, a custom which had been in abeyance for some years, by giving a grand ball at St. Andrew’s Hall.
May 27th 1880
The headquarters of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons arrived at Norwich Cavalry Barracks.
June 3rd 1880
At a meeting of the Norwich Board of Guardians, a series of resolutions and amendments on the subject of the Boys’ Home and the education and industrial training of pauper children was considered. Mr. Daynes moved that from and after June 24th the Boys’ Home in St. Faith’s Lane be discontinued, and the boys transferred to the Workhouse, and that the Home be offered for sale. Canon Copeman moved that it was desirable to provide education and industrial training for the children of the poor apart from the Workhouse. The amendment was adopted by 24 votes against 12.
June 3rd 1880
The centenary anniversary of the Yarmouth Monthly Book Club was celebrated by a dinner held at the Crown and Anchor Hotel. “In former days the custom was for each member present at the dinner to propose the health of a lady. The society was promoted by the Rev. Richard Turner, afterwards vicar of the parish, who, at the first meeting, was elected honorary secretary, and held that office fifty years. He was succeeded by Dr. G. Penrice, who was followed by the Rev. Mark Waters, B.A., in 1841. After the decease of that gentleman, in 1864, the business was conducted by the Rev. Bowyer Vaux, who, five years ago, resigned, and was succeeded by Mr. J. F. Waters. The club is remarkable for its age, for having had during its century of existence only five secretaries, and for being still as flourishing as it was in its early years.”
June 12th 1880
A special meeting of the Norwich Diocesan Conference, summoned by requisition, was held at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, to consider the Burials Bill introduced by the Government. The Conference adopted resolutions protesting against the principle of the Bill, and suggesting certain amendments thereto, the chief of which were that its provisions should not extend to the consecrated parts of cemeteries nor to churchyards to which land had been added by living donors, and that the permissive clause as to the modification of services be omitted.
June 14th 1880
Died at North Runcton, Mr. Daniel Gurney, in his 90th year. He was for many years senior partner in the Lynn and district banks of Messrs. Gurney and Co. Mr. Gurney was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and wrote some useful essays on banking and “A Record of the House of Gurney,” printed for private circulation. He was a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for the county, and served the office of High Sheriff in 1858.
June 15th 1880
Died at St. Leonard’s Precincts, Mousehold, Norwich, Mr. John Henry Druery, of the Middle Temple, barrister-at-law. He was a member of the Antiquarian Society of London, of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, membre de la Société Française d’Archæologie, &c.
June 15th 1880
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, the corporate seal was affixed to an agreement between the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England and the Corporation, for carrying into effect the arrangement made in 1866 with the Dean and Chapter of Norwich for conveying Mousehold Heath to the Corporation for the purpose of public pleasure grounds. The proposal met with strenuous opposition from the inhabitants of Pockthorpe, who claimed the Heath as the property of themselves and their successors, and asserted that while they were entitled to the rents, rights, and profits, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners had no title whatever. (_See_ June 21st, 1881.)
June 16th 1880
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was held at Downham Market, and was continued on the 17th. Mr. H. Villebois was president.
June 27th 1880
The celebration of the centenary of the Sunday School movement originated practically by Robert Raikes, the newspaper editor, of Gloucester, commenced at Norwich with a special service at the Cathedral and children’s services at the parish churches. The proceedings of the week closed on July 1st. The centenary was celebrated throughout the county.
July 1st 1880
Colonel Black, Chief Constable of Norfolk, resigned his appointment, and received from the magistrates the highest superannuation allowance permitted by law. On September 23rd Mr. Paynton Pigott, who, for six years, had been Deputy Chief Constable, was elected to the vacant post. Colonel Black, on his retirement, was presented with valuable testimonials by the magistrates and the constabulary.
July 10th 1880
A fifty miles walking match, for £20 a side, took place at the Hop-pole Gardens, Norwich, between George Parry, winner of O’Leary’s champion belt of the world, at Chicago, and William Clarke, the Norfolk champion. Heavy rainstorms occurred during the day, and at times the track was flooded. Clarke left the path after completing 40 miles, and Parry, who was three miles ahead, also retired.
July 14th 1880
The Duke of Norfolk visited Norwich, and presided at an influential meeting held at St. Andrew’s Hall, on behalf of the Eastern Counties’ Asylum for Idiots. The principal streets of the city were decorated in honour of the visit, peals were rung upon the bells of St. Peter Mancroft, and his Grace was received at the hall by the Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard), the Sheriff (Mr. Philip Back), the Deputy Mayor. (Mr. J. D. Smith), and other civic dignitaries. The Mayor presented to the Duke an address of welcome, adopted on the previous day by the Town Council, and afterwards entertained his Grace and 200 guests at a _déjeuner_.
July 17th 1880
The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture adopted a resolution, moved by Mr. C. S. Read, expressing satisfaction with the steps taken by the Government for the repeal of the Malt Tax by the substitution of a beer duty, “as repeatedly recommended by the chamber.”
July 22nd 1880
Died at Munich, three weeks after her arrival there from London, Madame Anna Caroline de Belleville Oury, one of the most distinguished pianists of her time.
July 24th 1880
The 3rd and 4th Battalions of Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp at Great Yarmouth, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Bulwer and Lieut.-Colonel Gurdon, M.P. The total number of men under canvas was 1,301.
July 27th 1880
The Norwich Town Council, on the motion of Mr. George White, adopted the following resolution: “Several months having elapsed since this Council requested the Parliamentary and Bylaws Committee to consider the legal position in which the Corporation stands with the British Gaslight Company, and, considering the enormous interests at stake, the Council urges upon the Committee the necessity of at once reporting as to what steps, if any, they advise to be taken, in order to relieve the citizens from the unjust and unnecessary burdens imposed upon them through the extravagant charge made for gas.” The Committee were also instructed “to take into consideration the question of electric lighting, as lately adopted by several corporations.” (_See_ August 30th, 1881.)
July 27th 1880
A grand bazaar was held in Holkham Park, in aid of the restoration fund of Wells church. The proceedings realised a profit of £845.
July 28th 1880
Died at Castle Rising, the Hon. Theophilus Howard, second son of Charles John, Earl of Suffolk and Berkshire. Mr. Howard entered into possession of the estate of Castle Rising at the close of 1876, having received it by deed of gift from Mrs. Howard, of Ashstead. By his succession this property, which came into the possession of the Howard family in 1545, again reverted to the Suffolk and Berkshire line, from which it was separated by the death of Henry, twelfth Earl of Suffolk and Berkshire, in the year 1779. Mr. Howard married Lady Audrey Townshend, youngest daughter of the Marquis Townshend, in 1873, and left two sons and two daughters. He was called to the Bar in 1863, and in 1873 was appointed a Commissioner in Lunacy, a post which he resigned in 1878. “He was the first of the great Howard family who made Castle Rising his permanent residence and home, for though the estate had been possessed by the Howards since 1545 it was always as a political occupation when Castle Rising was a Parliamentary borough, or as a temporary residence for the shooting. Consequently, through the long period of 335 years not one of the family is known to have died there, and certainly none, with the exception of Mr. Howard, have been buried in the parish church or churchyard.”
August 9th 1880
At the Norwich Police Court, William Davies, of the Army Hospital Corps, Henry Pritchard, and William Solly, privates in the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, and Staff-Sergt. Alexander W. Browne, Army Hospital Corps, were charged with attempting to kill and murder John Smith, a private of the 17th Regiment of Foot, at the Cavalry Barracks, on August 3rd. Smith had been left in the military hospital by a detachment of the 17th, who had handed the barracks over to the Inniskillings. Smith was suffering from a loathsome disease, and it was alleged that the orderlies of the dragoons and Davies, who had charge of him, with the cognisance of Browne, stuffed up the fireplace of the ward with straw, closed the windows and door, and placed plates of burning sulphur upon the floor, for the purpose of suffocating him. The man died a few days subsequently from the effects of the disease from which he was suffering. The prosecution alleged two motives against the prisoners—first, that some of them were interested in a will made by Smith in their favour, and, secondly, that they were desirous of getting rid of an unpleasant patient. After several remands, the prisoners were committed for trial at the Assizes. The case was heard before the Lord Chief Justice on November 12th, when the jury acquitted the prisoners. Sergt. Browne was shortly afterwards promoted to the post of Acting Sergt.-Major in the Army Hospital Corps at the North Camp, Aldershot, and headmaster of the 3rd District Station Hospital.
August 16th 1880
Mr. Traverner’s English Opera Company commenced a six nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, in the opera of “Martha.” The company included Miss Annette Albu, Mdlle. Joyce-Maas, Mr. Michael Dwyer, Mr. William Parkinson, and Madame Arabella Smythe.
August 16th 1880
The annual meeting of the National Association of Architects commenced at Norwich. Visits were made to different parts of the county, for the inspection of the church architecture of the district.
August 30th 1880
The extension of the East Norfolk Railway from Aylsham to Cawston was inspected by General Hutchinson, and was opened for public traffic on September 1st.
August 31st 1880
The Norwich Town Council received a report from a special committee recommending a scheme for repairing the main streets of the city with wood, at the cost of £19,284. The scheme was adopted on September 15th. On October 13th Mr. Arnold Taylor, an Inspector of the Local Government Board, held an inquiry at the Guildhall as to an application by the Corporation for powers to borrow £30,300 for street improvements and wood paving. It was stated that of the amount named, £25,000 would be required for the latter work. The Town Clerk reported, on November 16th, that the Local Government Board had sanctioned a loan of £25,000, repayable with interest within a period not exceeding twelve years. (_See_ January 22nd, 1883.)
September 3rd 1880
The Grantully Castle steamship, with Mr. and Mrs. Gladstone on board, arrived in Yarmouth Roads. Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P., and several members of the local Liberal party put off in the steam-tug Meteor, and boarded the steamer. Mr. A. Peaton read to the right hon. gentleman an address, conveying to him the congratulations of the Liberal party in Yarmouth upon his recovery from his recent severe illness. Mr. Gladstone, who had most cordially received the deputation, returned thanks in a characteristic speech.
September 3rd 1880
The staff of the Anchor Brewery, Norwich, to the number of 650, were conveyed by special train to the Alexandra Palace, by invitation of the head of the firm, Mr. Harry Bullard, Mayor of the city.
September 17th 1880
Died at the Bedford Hotel, Brighton, aged 84, the Right Hon. Sir Fitzroy Edward Kelly, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer Division of the High Court of Justice. He was elected High Steward of Norwich, an office which was abolished by the Municipal Reform Act. Sir Fitzroy received three years’ annuity to January 1st, 1839, and a life pension of £48 a year.
September 18th 1880
The appointment was announced of Dr. Horace Hill as chorus-master of the Norwich Festivals.
September 21st 1880
The Norwich Town Council appointed Dr. Bunnett City Organist, at the salary of £50 per annum.
September 26th 1880
Died at Aylsham, in his 86th year, Mr. Robert William Parmeter, who held the office of Clerk of the Peace for the county of Norfolk from 1842 to 1868, when he was succeeded by Mr. Charles Foster.
September 27th 1880
Died at Fawley Court, Buckinghamshire, Mr. Edward Mackenzie, aged 69. He was a member of a family who were largely identified with railway enterprises, especially in France, where he resided sixteen years. Mr. Mackenzie’s connection with Norfolk and Suffolk began in 1869, when he purchased the estates of Thetford and Santon-Downham. “He is best remembered by the public for his foundation of the British Orphan Asylum at Slough.”
October 5th 1880
A meeting of the Wells and Fakenham Turnpike Trustees was held at Wells, for the purpose of letting the toll-gates for a term of eleven months expiring on November 1st, 1881. The trust would have ceased in 1876, but Mr. E. B. Loynes, clerk to the trustees, was instructed to attend a Select Committee of the House of Commons, to give information on the subject. This resulted in a further period of five years being granted, and certain restrictions and conditions were imposed to be observed by the trustees. It was only in 1824 an Act was obtained for making this road. “Under no conditions, however, can the trust be maintained beyond November 1st, 1881, and therefore after that date the Wells and Fakenham Turnpike Trust will be a thing of the past.”
October 11th 1880
Died at Unthank’s Road, Norwich, the Rev. John Hallett, aged 57, for twenty-four years minister of the Old Meeting House.
October 18th 1880
The “Caste” Company, under the management of Messrs. Robertson and Bruce, commenced a farewell engagement at Norwich Theatre. Miss Cora Stuart (Mrs. T. W. Robertson) made her first appearance on the Norwich stage.
October 22nd 1880
A new organ, erected at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, by Messrs. Bryceson Bros. and Ellis, Charlton Works, Islington, was formally handed over by Mr. Hugh Barclay, on behalf of the subscribers, to the Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard). The organ and its accessories cost £1,874. The receipts amounted to £1,841, and Mr. R. A. Gorell made up the deficiency by handing in a cheque for £35. Dr. Bridge, organist of Westminster Abbey, Dr. Bennett, and Dr. Gladstone played selections upon the new instrument, and the Mayor entertained the large company present on the occasion. The public opening of the organ took place on the 23rd, when Dr. Bunnett gave the first recital of his annual series.
October 26th 1880
Died at Lowestoft, Mr. John Bathurst Graver-Browne, of Morley Hall, aged 43. He was a son of Mr. John Graver-Browne, by his wife Frances Bathurst, granddaughter of the Bishop of Norwich, and married, in 1871, Frances Julia, daughter of Sir Henry Stracey, Bart. Mr. Graver-Browne was a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant of the county, and served the office of High Sheriff in 1873.
October 29th 1880
A dreadful disaster occurred at Wells-next-the-Sea. The Eliza Adams lifeboat, manned by thirteen men, capsized while going to a ship in distress, and eleven of the crew were drowned. Great public sympathy was expressed, and to the fund inaugurated for the relief of the bereaved families the Royal National Lifeboat Institution contributed £1,000.
November 4th 1880
Chapel Field, Norwich, renamed Chapel Field Gardens, was re-opened for the use of the public. This hitherto neglected area had been tastefully laid out as a garden, and in the centre was erected the wrought-iron pavilion manufactured by Messrs. Barnards and Bishop, and exhibited by them four years previously at the Philadelphia Exhibition. It was designed by Mr. T. Jeckyll, and purchased for the city by public subscription. The Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard) performed the opening ceremony, and after the band of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons had played the National Anthem, his worship entertained a large company to luncheon at the Drill Hall.
November 4th 1880
The Norwich Diocesan Conference commenced its sittings at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop. The proceedings concluded on the 5th.
November 4th 1880
Died at Tasburgh, Mr. Ernest H. Willett, only son of Mr. Henry Willett, of Norwich. He was a well-known cricketer, and although he fell away from the early promise of his Radley days, did good service as captain of the county eleven. With Mr. H. Birkbeck, jun., and the Rev. H. W. Turner, Mr. Willett resuscitated the County Club, which played its first match with Essex, at Brentwood, on July 28th and 29th, 1876.
November 9th 1880
Mr. Samuel Grimmer was elected Mayor, and Dr. Eade appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 14th 1880
Died at Stow Hall, Downham Market, Sir Thomas Leigh Hare, Bart. Born July 18th, 1807, he was formerly captain in the 2nd Life Guards, and afterwards captain in the West Norfolk Militia. A magistrate and a Deputy Lieutenant for Norfolk, he had served the office of High Sheriff.
November 18th 1880
The annual exhibition of the Norfolk and Norwich Christmas Show Association opened at the Drill Hall and Chapel Field, Norwich, and was attended by the Patron, the Prince of Wales, who arrived from Horstead Hall, where he had been staying as the guest of Mr. Edward Birkbeck. His Royal Highness, after leaving the show, was entertained to luncheon by Mr. and Mrs. Colman, at Carrow House. The Prince, before returning to Horstead, inspected the various departments at Carrow Works.
November 20th 1880
“A final dividend of 9½d. in the pound is announced in connection with the bankruptcy of Messrs. Harvey and Hudsons, bankers, Norwich, who failed for upwards of £1,700,000, in July, 1870. The total return to the creditors has been 14s. 3½d. in the pound.” (_See_ December 3rd.)
November 22nd 1880
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Melton Constable, on a visit to Lord and Lady Hastings. Their Royal Highnesses left on November 26th.
November 22nd 1880
The dead body of Henry Jonathan Minns, lay clerk at Norwich Cathedral, and a well-known local tenor, was discovered suspended by the neck upon a ladder in the presbytery triforium over St. Luke’s chapel at the Cathedral. At the adjourned inquest, held on the 26th, the jury returned a verdict to the effect that deceased committed suicide while of unsound mind. On the same day “a special service of humiliation” was held at the Cathedral, when an address was delivered by the Dean.
November 23rd 1880
The Duke of Edinburgh arrived at Didlington Hall, on a visit to Mr. W. A. Tyssen-Amherst, M.P., and left on the 26th. His Royal Highness was engaged in the inspection of the Coastguard and Naval Reserves on the East Coast.
November 24th 1880
A special choral service, in aid of the Choir Benevolent Fund, was held at Norwich Cathedral. Members of the choirs of her Majesty’s Chapels Royal, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Ely, Norwich, and Peterborough Cathedrals, Eton College, and St. George’s Chapel, Windsor, took part, and the sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. Swainson, Canon of Chichester.
November 29th 1880
The bells of Blofield church were re-opened, after re-hanging by the Redenhall firm of bell-founders—Captain Moore, Mr. Gervas Holmes, M.A., of Emanuel College, Cambridge, and Mr. Mackenzie, C.E.
November 29th 1880
The Conservative party at Lynn presented to Lady Hamilton, wife of Lord Claud J. Hamilton, a valuable diamond bracelet, and congratulated his lordship, who formerly represented the borough, upon his election for Liverpool.
December 3rd 1880
Application was made in the Rolls Court for leave to bring an action in connection with the Harvey and Hudsons bankruptcy. It was alleged that a certain asset of the firm (a life interest on property which had been sold by Mr. E. K. Harvey to his brother, Sir Robert) was disposed of for a sum far below its value; Messrs. Boswell and Baxter, wine merchants, who were creditors of Messrs. Harvey and Hudsons, claimed that the matter should be re-opened and re-adjusted. Divested of technicalities, the claim of the plaintiffs, who sued for themselves and other creditors of Sir R. J. Harvey’s joint and separate estates, was to have the purchase of the life interest by the defendants set aside, and to have the benefit of the policies effected, and payment of the income arising from the life interest which had been already received by the defendants, after allowance had been made for the purchase-money and interest of the premiums paid on the policies; and also the costs of the suit. The Master of the Rolls granted the application to December 9th. (_See_ December 7th, 1882.)
December 8th 1880
Trinity Wesleyan chapel, Dereham, the foundation-stone of which was laid in the month of April, was opened for public worship. The work, executed from designs by Mr. Edward Boardman, architect, Norwich, cost, inclusive of minister’s house, &c., £3,400.
December 15th 1880
A new warehouse, erected at the cost of many thousands of pounds, at Lynn docks, and stored with large quantities of cotton seed, belonging to different merchants, was destroyed by fire. The damage was estimated at £15,000.
December 18th 1880
At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the county of Norfolk, held at the Shirehall, Norwich, the Chairman (Mr. C. S. Read) reported an alarming outbreak of foot-and-mouth diseases affecting 1,754 cattle, 1,640 sheep, and 66 pigs. (_See_ February 28th, 1881.)
December 24th 1880
The Christmas pantomime produced at Norwich Theatre by Messrs. Herbert and Collingwood was entitled, “Robinson Crusoe and Harlequin Billee Taylor, or Man Friday among the Afghans.” This was the last Christmas pantomime performed at the Theatre. At Messrs. John Sanger and Son’s Circus, on December 27th, was produced, “Little Red Riding Hood, the Wicked Wolf, and the Princess’s Fairy Garden Party.” 1881
January 8th 1880
Dr. F. E. Gladstone, it was announced, had resigned the post of organist of Norwich Cathedral, upon receiving a similar appointment at Christ church, Lancaster Gate, London. He was succeeded by Mr. Frederic C. Atkinson, organist of Manningham church, Bradford, a native of Norwich and pupil of Dr. Buck.
January 12th 1880
Winter set in with great severity, and during the night upwards of six inches of snow fell. The frost was intense. On the 17th the Yare was frozen over and navigation stopped, and on the 18th an extraordinary snowstorm and gale occurred. The thermometer registered 32 degrees of frost, and the wind, which during the preceding night had veered to the east, suddenly assumed the strength of a hurricane, which raged for nearly twenty-four hours. “A velocity of 548 miles was recorded, a force very rarely experienced in this part of the country.” Little snow fell until about five o’clock in the afternoon, when the clouds discharged themselves with a virulence almost unprecedented. From six to eight inches of snow fell in a few hours, and in places there were drifts ten feet in depth. The traffic on most of the branch lines of the Great Eastern Railway was suspended nearly twenty-four hours. The mail train from Norwich to Yarmouth—four hours late—ran into a drift near Buckenham, and remained embedded six hours. The use of five engines and the efforts of sixty men proved unavailing, and there was no alternative but to take the train back to Norwich. Many of the roads being impassable, the mail-cart drivers abandoned their journeys. Terrible shipping disasters occurred off Yarmouth; thirteen vessels were wrecked, and nearly fifty lives lost. The surf lifeboat was capsized a few yards from the shore, and of the crew of ten who were entangled in the tackle beneath the craft six were drowned. From the 14th to the 21st never once did the thermometer rise above freezing-point. On the 26th the temperature rose to 38 degrees, and rain fell on the 27th.
January 17th 1880
Prince’s Street Sunday schools and Lecture Hall, Norwich, were opened, as an adjunct to the Congregational church. The fine block of buildings was designed by Mr. Edward Boardman, architect, and erected by Messrs. Downing and Sons, at the cost of about £12,600.
January 24th 1880
The National Skating Association held a race-meeting on Wroxham Broad. Fixed originally for the 18th, but postponed in consequence of the gale, it was attended, amongst other competitors, by George (“Fish”) Smart, Champion of England, W. (“Turkey”) Smart, and many prominent Fen skaters.
January 28th 1880
Killed at the battle of Lang’s Nek, South Africa, aged 21, Lieut. Robert Hamond Elwes, Grenadier Guards, _aide-de-camp_ to Sir G. Pomeroy Colley. He was the eldest son of Mr. Robert Elwes, of Congham House, near King’s Lynn.
February 9th 1880
A squadron of the 3rd Hussars arrived at Norwich Cavalry Barracks, from Colchester.
February 14th 1880
The comic opera, “Les Cloches de Corneville,” was performed at Norwich Theatre for the first time by a company under the management of Mr. Charles Bernard. A company of children presented the same opera at the Theatre on March 28th.
February 28th 1880
In accordance with a resolution adopted at a meeting of the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture on the 26th, a deputation waited upon Earl Spencer, President of the Privy Council, when Mr. C. S. Read, as president of the Chamber and Chairman of the Executive Committee of the County, expressed, on behalf of Norfolk agriculturists, the desire that, in view of the prevalence of foot-and-mouth disease, greater restrictions should be observed in regard to store cattle, and that a certain relaxation should be made in the case of fat cattle, which, it was proposed, should be sent direct from licensed sales and markets to slaughter-houses, to be killed within four days. It was also suggested that the Privy Council should prohibit the importation of live animals from countries where they knew disease existed. A further deputation, headed by the Mayor of Norwich (Mr. S. Grimmer), interviewed Earl Spencer on March 25th, with the view of obtaining such relaxation of the Orders in Council as to permit the sale of store stock at Tombland Fair. A fresh outbreak of the disease occurred in the autumn, and on October 28th the county authority passed a resolution affirming that, notwithstanding its recurrence, the time had not arrived for the closing of the markets; that should the Privy Council consider it necessary to stop the spread of the disease by closing the store stock markets, such order should not take effect before the first week in December; that the existing regulations for preventing the importation of diseased cattle from foreign countries were entirely insufficient, and that until more stringent regulations were in force the system of closing markets was vexatious. (_See_ January 7th, 1882.)
March 8th 1880
The Spring Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was held at Lynn, but the change of venue resulted in a very small entry.
March 19th 1880
“Died, a few days ago, in a modest dwelling in Yarmouth, Charles Crawshay Wilkinson, the inventor of perforated sheet stamps. The Government offered a very handsome reward for a contrivance by which postage and other stamps might be most easily separated. Mr. Wilkinson, then only a working-man, in the service of a distinguished firm, exercised the considerable technical knowledge and natural cleverness he possessed, and constructed a perforating machine similar to those now in use. This success was made known to his employers, who presented him with a sum for the invention, but obtained the credit for it, and also the large reward offered. The inventor gained a competency by his industry, went to Yarmouth, and lived happily in retirement. With the exception of intimate friends, very few knew him as the real originator of a device which had benefited countless millions of people.”
April 2nd 1880
“Mr. Edward Ebenezer Kay, Q.C., of Thorpe Abbots, near Scole, has accepted the Judgeship vacant by the retirement of Vice-Chancellor Sir Richard Malins. He does not become Vice-chancellor, but simply one of the Judges of the High Court of Justice.”
April 18th 1880
The National Fisheries Exhibition was opened at the Drill Hall, Norwich, by the Prince of Wales. His Royal Highness, who was accompanied by the Princess of Wales, Prince Leopold, the Lord President of the Privy Council and the Countess Spencer, Sir W. Vernon Harcourt and Lady Harcourt, his Excellency Count Dannesekjold-Samsoë, Count Frijs-Frijsonborg, Lord and Lady Charles Beresford, Mr. Mundella, M.P., and Sir Philip Cunliffe Owen, arrived from Wolferton at Thorpe station at 12.20, and was received by the Mayor (Mr. S. Grimmer), the Sheriff (Dr. Eade), and the Deputy-Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard). The Artillery Volunteers supplied a guard of honour in the station yard, and the Royal visitors were escorted by a detachment of the 3rd Hussars. At the Drill Hall, where the Rifle Volunteers mounted a guard of honour, their Royal Highnesses were received by the President of the exhibition (Mr. Edward Birkbeck, M.P.) and other officials. The President presented an address to the Prince of Wales, who replied, and declared the exhibition open. The Mayor afterwards entertained their Royal Highnesses and a distinguished company to a _déjeuner_ at St. Andrew’s Hall. At four o’clock the Royal party returned to Thorpe station, whence they proceeded to Wolferton. The exhibition, which was promoted by the Norfolk and Suffolk Fish Acclimatization Society, remained open until May 7th, was visited by 70,000 persons, exclusive of exhibitors and their assistants, and nearly £2,800 was received for admission. Several distinguished scientists delivered lectures at the Prince’s Street Lecture Hall—Professor Huxley on “The Herring,” on April 21st; Mr. Edward Jex, on “Deep Sea Fisheries,” on April 22nd; Mr. R. Bowdler Sharpe, on “Fish-eating Birds,” on April 25th; and Mr. H. N. Moseley, naturalist to the Challenger Expedition, on “Deep-sea Dredging,” on April 28th. On the last day of the exhibition, Earl Ducie distributed the prizes and diplomas to the exhibitors.
April 19th 1880
A meeting of the members of the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture and of farmers and agriculturists residing in West Norfolk was held at the Town Hall, Lynn, under the presidency of Mr. C. S. Read, when a resolution affirming “that the present state of the agricultural interest demands the serious attention of the Government of the country” was unanimously adopted. In compliance with a letter addressed to the parochial clergy by the Lord Bishop, services of humiliation and of intercession for a plentiful harvest were held throughout the diocese during the last week of May.
April 26th 1880
On the occasion of the funeral of Lord Beaconsfield, flags were displayed at half-mast on the churches and public buildings of Norwich, muffled bells were tolled, and many business establishments were partially closed. A funeral sermon was preached at the Cathedral by Canon Heaviside.
April 28th 1880
Died, in his 84th year, Mr. Brampton Gurdon, of Letton Hall and Grundisburgh Hall, Suffolk. He was the eldest son of Mr. Theophilus Thornhagh Gurdon, of Letton, and in 1855 served the office of High Sheriff. In 1857 Mr. Gurdon was elected unopposed one of the members for the Western division of the county, and was again returned, with Mr. Bentinck, in 1859. He retained the seat until July, 1865, when he and Sir Willoughby Jones were defeated by Mr. Bagge and the Hon. T. de Grey. Mr. Gurdon married the Hon. Henrietta Susannah, daughter and co-heiress of the first Baron Colborne, of West Harling Hall.
April 29th 1880
Charles Monsey, a superannuated Excise officer, murdered his wife at Worstead, by inflicting wounds upon her head with a hatchet. At Ipswich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Hawkins, on May 9th, affidavits were produced as to the insanity of the accused, and the trial was postponed. Monsey was afterwards detained as a criminal lunatic.
May 7th 1880
The Census returns for Norwich were published on this date, as follow:—Houses: Inhabited, 19,777; uninhabited, 1,011; building, 246. Persons: Males, 40,281; females, 47,560; total, 87,841.
May 29th 1880
Died at Hoveton House, the Rev. Thomas John Blofeld, vicar of the parish, aged 74. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated in 1829. Ordained in 1830, he was for a short time vicar of Old Sodbury, Gloucestershire, and exchanged the living for the rectory of Drayton and Hellesdon. Mr. Blofeld was rural dean of the deanery of Taverham, which he resigned, with the rectory of Drayton, in 1851, on his appointment to the living of Hoveton. He married, in 1834, Catherine Charlotte, daughter of the Rev. Anthony Collett, of Heveningham, Suffolk, by whom he had three sons and a daughter. Mr. Blofeld was an active county magistrate, chairman of the visiting justices of the County Gaol, an auditor of the county accounts, and a Deputy Lieutenant. For many years he was one of the most able and energetic of the leaders of the Conservative party in North Norfolk. In his youth he was a great oarsman, was stroke of the Trinity boat, and one of the founders of boating on the Cam. With a taste for outdoor pursuits, he was a keen and skilled naturalist, and a sportsman of the best type.
May 30th 1880
Died at Les Avants, the Rev. Herbert Pelham, aged 26, curate of St. Philip, Heigham, and youngest son of the Bishop of Norwich. “He had been staying at Gleion, in Montreaux, on the banks of Lake Geneva, with his brother, the Rev. Sidney Pelham. In the morning, at four o’clock, both brothers left their hotel for a walk amongst the mountains, aiming at a point which they reached at seven o’clock. After resting half an hour, they began to descend. Not more than ten minutes had elapsed after their starting, when, on a grassy slope, Mr. Sidney Pelham, who was in front, heard a rushing sound, and perceived that his brother was falling head foremost down a cliff some 240 feet in extent.” On hurrying to the spot he found the body motionless, and a surgeon who was summoned pronounced that death had been instantaneous. Great public sympathy was expressed in Norwich and the diocese, and many resolutions of condolence were sent to the Bishop.
May 31st 1880
Died at his residence, at Thorpe, Norwich, Mr. William Howlett, aged 78. He had been an alderman and town councillor. Identified with the musical profession, Mr. Howlett had rendered very valuable assistance to the funds of many of the Norwich charities.
June 8th 1880
The new section of the Yarmouth and North Norfolk Railway, between Stalham and North Walsham, was inspected by Major-General Hutchinson, R.E., and was opened for passenger traffic on the 13th. A public dinner to commemorate the event was held, under the presidency of Mr. C. S. Read, at the King’s Arms Hotel, North Walsham, on the 15th.
June 9th 1880
The Prince of Wales arrived at Yarmouth, and inspected the Norfolk Artillery Militia on the South Denes. The Duke of Cambridge, Commander-in-Chief, arrived in the evening, and on the 10th inspected the Militia, and the 2nd Norfolk Artillery Volunteers.
June 21st 1880
The Norwich Town Council granted to the promoters of the proposed Agricultural Hall the lease of a piece of land 174 feet long by 103 feet wide, for a term of seventy-five years, commencing September 29th, 1881, at an annual ground rent of £100, subject to the promoters expending at least £7,000 for the erection of the building thereon. (_See_ March 25th, 1882.)
June 21st 1880
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, a scheme for the regulation and management of Mousehold Heath was adopted. On June 24th, at Norwich Quarter Sessions, eleven persons were indicted for committing damage to certain roadways on the Heath, the property of the Corporation. The case was adjourned to the October Sessions. In the High Court of Justice, on July 29th, before the Master of the Rolls, application was made for an injunction to restrain the “Pockthorpe Committee” and others from dealing in any way with Mousehold Heath. The injunction was granted. At the October Sessions, the prosecution was withdrawn, on the ground that the injunction had been obeyed by the defendants. (_See_ June 5th, 1883.)
June 22nd 1880
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at Wymondham, and closed on the 23rd. The Earl of Kimberley presided at the public luncheon.
June 24th 1880
Died, in his 64th year, the Rev. Thomas Lyon Fellowes, vicar of Honingham and East Tuddenham, and Hon. Canon of Norwich Cathedral. He was a son of the Rev. J. Fellowes, rector of Shotesham, took a great interest in agriculture, and was for many years chairman of the Executive Committee of the Norfolk Agricultural Association. Mr. Fellowes gave valuable assistance to the Norfolk and Norwich Christmas Show Association, and was a renowned breeder and successful exhibitor of poultry. He married Miss Reeve, of Lowestoft.
June 24th 1880
Died, suddenly, at Hawick, N.B., where he was fulfilling an engagement, Mr. Charles Dillon, the well-known actor. Mr. Dillon, who was in his 62nd year, was a native of Diss, and first appeared upon the provincial stage, where he acquired considerable reputation as an elocutionist and exponent of legitimate drama. He made his first appearance on the London stage at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, and subsequently became lessee and manager of the Lyceum Theatre. Mr. Dillon’s last appearance in London was in September, 1878, and in Norwich on April 10th, 1880.
June 29th 1880
An extensive fire occurred at Carrow Works, and resulted in the destruction of a pile of lofty buildings.
June 30th 1880
The wards of that portion of the new Norfolk and Norwich Hospital known as the pavilion and central administrative block having been completed for the reception of patients, were opened. Mr. Edward Boardman was the architect of the building. Mr. T. H. Wyatt, of London, was originally associated with him, but, by the failure of his health and subsequent death the whole of the work devolved upon Mr. Boardman. (_See_ August 20th, 1883.)
July 9th 1880
The Norwich Rifle Volunteers, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Boileau, proceeded by special train to Windsor, and took part in the Volunteer review before her Majesty the Queen in the Great Park. On the return journey the train by which they travelled dashed into a train of empty carriages at Egham. The accident delayed the return of the Volunteers, who reached Norwich at four o’clock on the morning of the 10th.
July 19th 1880
The Strumpshaw Hall estate was sold, at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, by Messrs. Spelman, for £33,145, exclusive of timber.
July 19th 1880
Died at Ipswich, Mr. John Worlledge, Chancellor of the Diocese of Norwich, and for twenty-four years Judge of the Suffolk County Court circuit. Mr. Worlledge, who was in his 72nd year, was a son of Mr. John Worlledge, of Chevington, and was educated at Felstead Grammar School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated fourth wrangler in 1831. Called to the Bar at the Middle Temple in 1838, he became well known as a pleader on the Norfolk Circuit, and was appointed Chancellor of the Diocese in April, 1871.
July 26th 1880
Died at Oulton, Mr. George Thomas Borrow, author of “The Bible in Spain,” “Lavengro,” and other works. “The deceased was in his usual health up to the afternoon of the 25th, when he complained of feeling unwell, and was assisted to bed. On the following morning he was found dead in bed.” The writer of the obituary notice, after stating that Borrow was a son of Captain Borrow, Adjutant of the West Norfolk Militia, and was born at East Dereham in 1803, records several more or less familiar incidents in his career, and concludes a summary of his literary work with the remark: “His most important book was ‘Romano Lavo-Lil,’ a vocabulary of the English gipsy language, which represents the labour of many years, and was published in 1874.”
July 30th 1880
The 3rd and 4th Battalions of Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp at Yarmouth, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Bulwer and Lieut.-Colonel Gordon, M.P.
August 1st 1880
The first Norwich Cricket Week commenced on the Lakenham Ground.
August 3rd 1880
North Walsham pariah church was re-opened, on the completion of the new roof to the nave. The work was carried out at the cost of £2,208, by Messrs. Cornish and Gaymer, under the direction of Mr. J. B. Pearce, architect, of Norwich.
August 13th 1880
Died at Bilney rectory, the Rev. Henry Collison, aged 89. Mr. Collison, who was one of the oldest clergymen of the Church of England, was the eldest surviving son of Mr. Nicholas Cobb Collison, a merchant of London, by his marriage with Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Mr. Peter Stoughton, of Wymondham. He was formerly chaplain of the King’s Bench Prison, of the old Marshalsea in the Borough, and of the Court of the Palace of Westminster. For some time he served as military chaplain at the Cape of Good Hope, and afterwards held the rectory of Bilney for nearly half a century. Mr. Collison married, in 1851, Harriett Mary, younger daughter of Mr. Thomas Abel Ward, of Watford, Herts.
August 30th 1880
The Norwich Town Council, who had erected two electric lights in the Market Place, decided to extend the system experimentally to several of the principal streets, at a cost not exceeding £400, for twelve months. (_See_ April 24th, 1883.)
September 5th 1880
Mr. Thomas Calthorpe Blofeld, who had been appointed to the office of Chancellor of the Diocese of Norwich, rendered vacant by the death of Mr. Worlledge, presided for the first time at the Norwich Consistory Court, and received the congratulations of the officials.
September 8th 1880
The Church of England portion of Wymondham Cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich, and a dedicatory service was held by the Nonconformists in that part of the burial-ground appropriated to their use. The entire cost of the Cemetery, including the chapels, designed by Mr. Edward Boardman, of Norwich, was £2,000.
September 20th 1880
The Norwich Town Council adopted a resolution of condolence with the American nation on the death of President Garfield.
September 29th 1880
Sidestrand church was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. “In 1846, owing to a landslip, caused by the action of the sea, considerable anxiety was felt for the safety of the old church, and a fund was started with the object of removing it to another site. About £300 was contributed, but as there seemed no immediate necessity to remove the church, the money was invested, and it was not until November, 1880, that the vestry definitely decided to build the new church. With accumulated interest, the original fund amounted to £850, and the balance of the cost of removal and restoration, which is now over £2,000, has been generously provided by the lord of the manor, Mr. Samuel Hoare, who also gave the site.”
October 4th 1880
The church of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, was re-opened after restoration, at the cost of £7,500. The contractor was Mr. G. E. Hawes, and the architect Mr. G. E. Street. The Restoration Committee decided to proceed with the work upon the tower, and a special appeal was made to the citizens to assist the completion of this great undertaking. (_See_ January 11th, 1882.)
October 11th 1880
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The _artistes_ included Madame Albani, Miss Mary Davies, Mrs. Osgood, Madame Patey, Madame Mudie-Bolingbroke, Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Barton McGuckin, Mr. Santley, Mr. Frederic King, and Mr. Brockbank. Mr. Alberto Randegger conducted for the first time. The following productions were included in the programme: 11th, evening, “St. Paul”; 12th, morning, “The Martyr of Antioch”; evening, “Faust”; 13th, morning, “St. Ursula” (Cowen), composed expressly for the Festival, and Racine’s “Athalie”; evening, grand operatic and ballad concert, including “The Sun Worshippers,” composed for the Festival by A. G. Thomas; 14th, morning, “The Messiah”; evening, operatic and ballad concert, including “The Harvest Home,” composed expressly for the Festival by J. F. Barnett.
October 14th 1880
A hurricane, which prevailed throughout Great Britain, did great damage in the towns and villages of Norfolk. Many fine trees were uprooted, and houses unroofed; railway signal-boxes were blown down, and several shipping disasters occurred along the coast.
October 18th 1880
The jubilee anniversary of the Eldon Club, formed in 1831, was celebrated at the Bell Hotel, Norwich, when the members dined under the presidency of Lieut.-Colonel Bignold.
October 21st 1880
A girl, named Hannah Brett, was brutally murdered at Saham Toney, by an ex-convict, named Henry Stebbings. At the Norfolk Assizes, on February 9th, 1882, before Mr. Justice Grove, he was found guilty and sentenced to death, but was respited, on the ground of homicidal mania.
October 23rd 1880
Died at Woking, Sir William Henry Ernest Bagge, Bart., of Stradsett Hall, aged 41. In default of issue, he was succeeded in the baronetcy by his only brother, Commander Alfred Thomas Bagge, R.N.
November 1st 1880
Salhouse church was re-opened, after restoration at the cost of £2,100.
November 3rd 1880
The Norwich Diocesan Conference met at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, and the proceedings were continued on the 4th. A special meeting was held on December 19th, to consider proposals for the revision of the Education code.
November 3rd 1880
The Ven. Archdeacon Nevill was elected vicar of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, on the resignation of the Rev. Sidney Pelham.
November 9th 1880
Mr. William Hunter was elected Mayor, and Mr. J. J. Winter appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 10th 1880
Died at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, aged 53, Edmund Stephen Weller, formerly of the 16th Landers. As colonel’s trumpeter, he sounded the famous charge of the regiment at Aliwal, on January 28th, 1846.
November 15th 1880
The squadron of the 3rd Hussars marched from Norwich, for Aldershot. The headquarters of the 7th Dragoon Guards, commanded by Colonel Colin Campbell, arrived on the 17th. “Since the regiment was last quartered here, Captain Mollyneaux, a former officer, obtained from the Tower of London and presented to the regiment a pair of kettledrums captured by the 7th at the battle of Dettingen, in 1743.”
December 17th 1880
“A line of wire has been suspended between Messrs. Morgan’s Brewery, King Street, and Mousehold House, the residence of Mr. W. H. Hackblock, who is a member of the firm.” This is the first record of a telephone wire erected in Norwich. The line was constructed by the United Telephone Company.
December 19th 1880
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Holkham, on a visit to the Earl and Countess of Leicester.
December 26th 1880
For the first time for many years there was no pantomime at Norwich Theatre. The Christmas attraction was the appearance of Mr. George Loveday’s London Folly Company, in Paul Merritt’s “Rough and Ready” and Pinero’s “Hester’s Mystery.” The company included Messrs. John Billington, E. D. Ward, E. W. Garden, Misses Ada Mellon, Emily Thorn, Eliza Johnstone, &c. At John Sanger and Son’s Circus, on Castle Meadow, was produced the equestrian spectacle, “Dick Whittington and his Wonderful Cat.”