January 4th 1879
A meeting, convened by the Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard), and attended by many of the riparian owners of the county, was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, “for the purpose of determining whether an inquiry should be made into the causes of the recent floods, and for devising some means to prevent their recurrence.” A committee was appointed to hold an inquiry, and in the month of June Sir John Hawkshaw, C.E., made a report, in which he stated that floods might be prevented by suitable works, the cost of which would be heavy if charged entirely on the flooded lands, but moderate if spread in suitable proportions. Mr. Bullard, on November 10th, was presented with his portrait, painted by Mr. Ventnor, in recognition of the services he had rendered to his fellow-citizens during the floods.
January 5th 1879
Died at St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, Mr. Horatio Bolingbroke, aged 80. He was educated at Norwich Grammar School, under Valpy, was for many years engaged in business as a manufacturer, and did much to enhance the reputation of Norwich for the production of textile fabrics. Mr. Bolingbroke was a prominent figure in the political life of the city, was the first Sheriff appointed under the Municipal Corporations Act, and was amongst the first of the Liberal members returned to the “reformed” Corporation. He was a generous supporter of local charities, chairman of the Norwich Charity Trustees (General List), and a Justice of the Peace. Labouring under the affliction of blindness, he had for some years prior to his death retired from active public life.
January 16th 1879
The nomination of candidates to fill the vacancy in the representation of North Norfolk, occasioned by the death of Colonel Duff, took place at Aylsham. Mr. Edward Birkbeck, of Horstead Hall, was the Conservative, and Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, Bart., the Liberal nominee. The polling took place on the 21st, and the result was declared on the 22nd, as follows:—Birkbeck, 2,742; Buxton, 2,252.
February 8th 1879
At the Norfolk Assizes, before the Lord Chief Baron, an action was brought by Mr. Hamon le Strange, lord of the manor of Snettisham, and his tenant, William Harding, against Richard Auker, for trespassing upon the foreshore at Snettisham and removing shingle, mussels, and cockles. Mr. le Strange in 1866 took legal proceedings to maintain his proprietary rights on the foreshore, and obtained a verdict, against which an appeal was entered; but a full bench of judges confirmed the verdict. Since then he had issued licences to persons to remove mussels from the foreshore, and had leased it to Harding, who had found the defendant carrying mussels away. The special jury returned a verdict for the plaintiffs, damages one shilling, and the learned Judge said he would make the injunction issued against the defendant perpetual. (_See_ January 21st, 1885.)
February 13th 1879
Died at Kirstead, the Rev. Jonathan Bates, rector of Kirstead with Langhale. He was the son of a Wesleyan minister, and was born at New Buckenham, on June 13th, 1829. When still a child he removed with his family to Edinburgh, where he was placed in the High School. Thence he went to Huddersfield College, and at eighteen became junior master. He had not only passed the examinations of the London University, but had saved sufficient money, with the help of the scholarships he had won, to enable him, on leaving Huddersfield, to enter St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he graduated in 1854, taking his place as eleventh Wrangler in the Mathematical Tripos. On completing his University career, he was appointed second classical and mathematical master of the Colchester Grammar School. This post he held four years, and was then chosen senior or classical tutor and chaplain to the Queen’s Medical College at Birmingham. Ordained deacon in 1854, and priest in 1855, by the Bishop of Rochester, he returned to Colchester as mathematical master at the Grammar School, and did duty as a curate in the vicinity. In 1860 he was appointed Vice-Principal of the Chester Diocesan College, and in 1862 was presented by Caius College to the living of Kirstead. Mr. Bates married the youngest daughter of the celebrated Dr. Medhurst, for many years a missionary in China.
February 16th 1879
Died at the Rectory, Toppesfield, the Rev. Professor Brewer, M.A., Preacher at the Rolls Chapel, and rector of Toppesfield. He was a son of Mr. John Sherren Brewer, of Mile End House, Norwich, and was born at Calvert Street, in March, 1809. After receiving his early education at the hands of his father, he proceeded to Queen’s College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1833, taking first class honours in Classics. In 1841 he was appointed to a Professorship, and in November, 1870, was elected an honorary Fellow of his College. Professor Brewer was editor of “Fuller’s Church History,” published by the University of Oxford, and of the Calendars of State Papers relating to the Reign of Henry VIII., published by the Master of the Rolls. He was for some time honorary librarian to the Marquis of Salisbury at Hatfield House, and, in addition to his appointment as Preacher at the Rolls Chapel, he held the Professorship of English Literature in King’s College, London. In 1876 he was presented by Lord Beaconsfield to the Crown living of Toppesfield, which had a gross income of £1,120 and a parsonage house.
February 21st 1879
Edward Payson Weston, the American pedestrian, passed through Norwich, on his walk of 2,000 miles in 1,000 consecutive hours (except on Sundays). He arrived from Dereham, and at one o’clock lectured at the Victoria Hall, St. Andrew’s, where a large audience had assembled, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard). In the afternoon Weston continued his walk, and arrived at Yarmouth in the evening.
February 21st 1879
Died at Wandsworth, Mr. P. Le Neve Foster, secretary of the Society of Arts. He was born in 1809, and educated at Norwich Grammar School, prior to studying at Cambridge, where he took his degree in 1830. A few years afterwards he was called to the Bar, and, after working zealously with the Prince Consort to promote the success of the Exhibition of 1851, was appointed Secretary of the Society of Arts in 1853.
February 24th 1879
Under the auspices of the Anglo-American Electric Lighting Company, Limited, a descriptive lecture was given at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, upon the possibilities of the electric light, by Mr. H. Edmunds, a representative of the company. The hall was brilliantly illuminated by a special electric installation.
February 27th 1879
Died at Bournemouth, Lieut.-Colonel Hugh FitzRoy, formerly of the Grenadier Guards. He was born in 1808, and was second son of the Rev. Lord Henry FitzRoy. He married, in 1831, Lucy Sarah, second daughter of Sir Thomas Buller Lethbridge, who died in 1855. In December, 1856, he married, secondly, Emily Louisa, widow of Mr. Charles William Marsham, of Stratton Strawless. Colonel FitzRoy was an active county magistrate, and chairman of the Great Yarmouth Haven and Pier Commissioners.
March 6th 1879
The twelve hours’ roller skating championship of the Eastern Counties was competed for at St. Giles’ Hall, Norwich. The winner was Candler, of Norwich, who, between eight a.m. and eight p.m. covered 77 miles 7 laps; second, G. Woolsey, of Yarmouth, 74 miles 20 laps.
March 13th 1879
The marriage of the Duke of Connaught and Princess Louise Marguerite was celebrated in Norwich by the ringing of St. Peter Mancroft bells, and by a civic luncheon given in the Council Chamber, Guildhall, by the Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard). A congratulatory address adopted by the Corporation was presented to the Queen by the Mayor and Sheriff, at St. James’s Palace, on May 3rd.
March 22nd 1879
The first of the Saturday evening popular concerts, inaugurated in Prince’s Street Schoolroom, and transferred to St. Andrew’s Hall, was given, under the presidency of the Mayor of Norwich.
March 26th 1879
A Common Hall was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor, “to consider the question of the continuance of the half-holiday movement on Thursdays during the approaching summer months.” A memorial was presented by the traders of the city, affirming that the two o’clock closing was not conducive to the welfare of the assistants nor to the commercial prosperity of the city. After much discussion, the meeting was adjourned _sine die_, and a few weeks later official notice was given that “the shops of Norwich, with few exceptions, remain open on Thursdays till five o’clock.”
April 6th 1879
Died at Great Yarmouth, Sir Thomas Branthwayt Beevor, Bart., of Hargham. Born on April 7th, 1798, he was thrice married—in 1819, to Elizabeth Bridget, daughter of Dr. Richard Lubbock, of Norwich; in 1832, to Martha, daughter of Mr. Archibald Hardiment, of Old Buckenham; and in 1845, to Mary, daughter of Mr. F. Davies. Sir Thomas had for some years resided in a quiet and unostentatious manner at Yarmouth, but in his early years, as a Liberal of the advanced school, he took a leading part in the political contests of the county.
April 7th 1879
Mr. T. W. Robertson, son of the author of “Caste,” and other favourite comedies, made his first appearance with the Caste Company at Norwich Theatre. The company made a return visit on November 3rd. Mr. Robertson, junior, who had been articled to a veterinary surgeon in the city, afterwards became very popular as an actor.
April 11th 1879
Died at Hereford, Miss Christiana Glover, second and last surviving daughter of the Rev. Edward Glover, M.A., of Norwich, aged 91. For several years she lived with the family of Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, and afterwards became a devoted coadjutor of her talented sister, Miss Sarah Glover, in the work of imparting Christian education in accordance with the principles of the Church of England to the poorer classes in the city. The sisters originated the Norwich Sol-Fa System of Psalmody, “which may be said to be entirely unrivalled in its results, as producing perfect intonation and good harmony at comparatively small expense of time and labour. The system in a somewhat modified form has been very widely and successfully diffused by Mr. Curwen.”
April 15th 1879
A new oratorio, “Nehemiah,” by Dr. Hill, of Norwich, was performed for the first time. It was produced at the Corn Hall, Diss, by the members of the Diss Choral Society.
April 15th 1879
Considerable excitement was caused at Thorpe, near Norwich, by the action of Mr. Henry Blake, who had enclosed the strip of grass land known as Thorpe Green, by the side of the river. Mr. William Birkbeck, as lord of the manor, announced that if the palings, &c., were not removed by noon on this day they would be forcibly taken down. The notice was disregarded, and Mr. P. E. Hansell, as steward of the manor, directed the removal of the obstruction. After the posts and palings had been taken down, Mr. Hansell intimated that Mr. Birkbeck was prepared to take the matter into the law courts, and to the House of Lords, if necessary.
April 16th 1879
A remarkable scene was witnessed at a meeting of the Norwich School Board. A motion to increase the staff was supported by the majority and opposed by the Denominational minority, the latter of whom asserted that the proposal could be carried out only by rescinding a resolution passed almost unanimously at a previous meeting. “Finding their last effort useless to stem the current of expenditure into which the Board had plunged, and justly indignant at the treatment they received, the minority left the room, and Canon Heaviside intimated that it would be a matter for consideration whether they ever again entered it.” On May 8th a deputation went to Canon Heaviside’s residence and presented to the gentlemen constituting the minority a memorial, signed by the ratepayers, urging that by their presence at the Board they could “continue to protest against reckless extravagance, and so keep the ratepayers better informed of what is going on.” Ultimately the minority agreed to resume their duties, “at the request of their constituents, and in the hope that the public attention called to the proceedings which led to their withdrawal would have the effect of strengthening their hands in the endeavour to discharge effectively the duties that devolved upon them.”
April 28th 1879
Mr. Sims Reeves sang at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. His engagement was originally announced for April 17th, but the usual postponement occurred.
April 28th 1879
Application having been made by the Norfolk Court of Quarter Sessions that nine disturnpiked roads in the county should, by a provisional order, be declared ordinary, not main, roads, Mr. Courteney Boyle, an inspector of the Local Government Board, attended at the Shirehall, to hear the grounds of the application and any objections thereto. The application had been made on the following grounds: (1) That in consequence of the increase of railways, there was comparatively but little through traffic along the disturnpiked reads; (2) there being no highway districts in the county, the Court was not prepared to encounter the difficulty and expense of dealing separately with the surveyors of the large number of parishes through which the disturnpiked roads passed; (3) that should a highway board be established in the county, the unions through which the disturnpiked roads passed would not be unfairly burdened by their maintenance, while it would be hard upon outlying districts of the county to contribute to the repair of roads which they never used; and (4) that the Court having previously expressed itself in favour of county boards, hesitated to sanction so novel and large an expenditure for the county rate as would be involved in paying half the cost of repairing the disturnpiked roads until the ratepayers were more directly represented in the county authority. Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., stated his reasons for moving these resolutions at the Court of Quarter Sessions, and after evidence had been taken in regard to each road in question, the Inspector said that he should make his report.
May 19th 1879
A glove fight took place at the Corn Hall, Norwich, in the presence of an immense audience, between Walter Emms and Arthur Shaw. At the Police Court, on the 26th, the principals, and John Hicks, James Clarke, James Laxton, Robert Watson, sub-editor of the “Sporting Life,” London; Thomas Snelling, and Edwin Cunningham were summoned for unlawfully assembling together for the purpose of a prize-fight. Emms and Shaw were ordered to enter into their own recognisances of £100, to find two sureties of £50 each, and to keep the peace for six months. The other defendants were bound over in the sum of £20 each to keep the peace for six months.
May 20th 1879
The Norwich Omnibus Company, Limited, was formed. The first omnibuses were put upon the Dereham Road route on June 23rd.
May 20th 1879
Died at the Crescent, Norwich, Mr. John M. Croker, aged 57. His ample leisure enabled him to be of great service to many of the public institutions of the city, and he was for several years honorary secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Cricket Club.
May 21st 1879
A fire occurred on Messrs. Willis and Southall’s shoe premises, the Upper Market, Norwich. The damage was estimated at £1,000.
June 2nd 1879
A case of considerable importance to the agricultural community, in which the Earl of Leicester, Lord Lieutenant of the county, was defendant, was heard by the Walsingham magistrates. His lordship was alleged to have infringed the Contagious Diseases (Animals) Act, 1878, and the Animals Order of 1878. The informations, laid by the Veterinary Inspector of the district (Mr. Edward Case), charged his lordship (1) with unlawfully causing to be driven on March 3rd a sheep affected with sheep scab; and (2) with causing 200 suspected animals to be removed. After a hearing which lasted eight hours, the Bench dismissed the case, “because the defendant had satisfied them that there was no cause for suspecting the animals removed.”
June 5th 1879
A singular accident occurred at Wells railway station. The driver of engine of a passenger train from Norwich was unable to control the brakes, and the engine dashing into the station, knocked down the buffer stops, ran through the end platform, and, crashing into the lavatories and porter’s room, demolished the outer wall of the station, and came to a standstill when partly in the public street. A young man named John Cook was killed. At the inquest a verdict of accidental death was returned, and at the subsequent Board of Trade inquiry the engine-driver was exonerated of blame.
June 9th 1879
St. Giles’ Hall, Norwich, originally opened as a skating rink, and afterwards used as a variety hall and theatre, was on this date opened for the summer season as a circus by Mr. Stoodley.
June 11th 1879
The Summer Show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened at East Dereham, when the entries were larger than on any previous occasion. Mr. R. T. Gurdon was president.
June 15th 1879
The Norwich Artillery Volunteers paraded for the first time in their new uniform. The regulation scarlet facings and helmet of the Royal Artillery had been substituted for the white facings and busby previously worn.
June 17th 1879
The Prince of Wales visited Norwich, for the purpose of laying the foundation-stone of the new Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. The visit was of a semi-private character. His Royal Highness, who was received at Thorpe Station by the Mayor (Mr. Harry Bullard), the Sheriff (Mr. Donald Steward), the Earl of Leicester, Lord Suffield, and Lord Carrington, proceeded to the site of the new building, and having performed the ceremony, returned to the station and travelled by special train to Yarmouth. The cost of the new Hospital was originally estimated at £35,500, but the Board of Governors subsequently decided to purchase adjoining property, at an additional outlay of £5,000. The Board afterwards adopted a building design jointly prepared by Mr. T. H. Wyatt, of London, and Mr. Edward Boardman, of Norwich, and accepted the tender of Messrs. Lacey and Co. for the completion of the work. (_See_ June 30th, 1881.)
June 17th 1879
The Prince of Wales arrived at Yarmouth, and on the 18th inspected the Prince of Wales’ Own Norfolk Artillery. His Royal Highness left on the morning of the 19th. On both evenings of his stay in the town, the Prince attended performances given by the Gaiety Company at the Theatre Royal.
June 27th 1879
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Mr. J. H. Tillett moved, “That this Council objects to the proposed schemes of the Charity Commissioners, particularly to those relating to the Boys’ Hospital and the Girls’ Hospital Schools, on the ground that educational and other funds given expressly and emphatically for the benefit of the poor are thereby diverted from their proper objects, and applied to the increase of the endowments in middle and upper schools, which schools, if in need, should be helped otherwise than at the expense of the poor.” The motion was adopted, and the Parliamentary and Bylaw Committee were requested to prepare a petition against the scheme. A Common Hall was held on July 16th, at which resolutions were adopted expressing dissatisfaction with the scheme; and at a meeting of the Town Council, on August 26th, the Parliamentary and Bylaws Committee, in a draft report upon the scheme, urged that to apply grants originally given for the maintenance, education, and advancement of the children of the poor, in aid of the Grammar and Commercial Schools, or either of them, would involve a misappropriation of the funds and a violation of the intentions of the founders. (_See_ October 24th, 1882.)
July 3rd 1879
At the Norfolk county magistrates’ meeting, a report was received from the Committee of Visitors that several serious cases of erysipelas, sore throat, and diarrhoea had occurred at Thorpe Asylum, “and it would appear that the very offensive smell which pervades the Asylum whenever the wind blows from the Sewage Farm on the opposite side of the river is the cause of the above-named epidemics.”
July 4th 1879
In the House of Commons, Mr. C. S. Read supported, in a long and able speech, Mr. Chaplin’s motion, for a Royal Commission to enquire into the depressed condition of the agricultural interest.
July 6th 1879
Died at the Vyne, Basingstoke, Mr. W. L. Wiggett Chute, aged 79, formerly of Pickenham Hall, near Swaffham. He was called to the Bar by the Middle Temple in 1827, in which year he assumed, by Royal licence, the additional name and arms of Chute, on inheriting the estates of that ancient family in Hampshire and Norfolk. He was elected with Sir William Bagge in the Conservative interest at the General Election of 1837, and held the seat until 1847, when he retired. In 1837 he married Martha, second daughter of Mr. Theophilus Russell Buckworth, of Cockley Cley.
July 9th 1879
A “silver cradle,” in the form of a massive epergne, was presented by the Corporation to the Mayor of Norwich (Mr. Harry Bullard), “in commemoration of the birth of his daughter, Hilda May, on May 13th, 1879.”
July 11th 1879
Died at Kett’s Castle Villa, Mousehold, Norwich, Mr. John Berney Ladbrooke. Born in 1803, he was a son of Robert Ladbrooke, painter and drawing master, and nephew of Old Crome, whose pupil he became after he had received rudimentary instruction from his father. “Crome’s influence is traced in nearly all his pictures, although of late years in tone and colour they more closely resemble the best works of Henry Bright. He especially excelled in the representation of woodland scenery.” As a drawing master Ladbrooke was much valued.
July 12th 1879
Died at Norwich, Mr. John Withers Dowson. A son of Mr. Benjamin Dowson, merchant, of Geldeston, he was born in 1800. Educated at Norwich Grammar School, he was articled to a London firm of solicitors, and afterwards commenced practice in Norwich. The pursuit of professional emolument was, however, less an object with him than the furtherance of the education and the improvement of those around him, especially the poor, and probably no one in the city or county had in his time done more practical work in the cause of education.
July 14th 1879
An inter-county bicycle race, between Norfolk and Suffolk cyclists, was ridden from Ipswich to Norwich. The competitors started from Ipswich at 3.5 p.m., and the race was won by Popplewell, of Ipswich, who arrived at the Boileau fountain, Norwich, at 6.5 p.m. Morgan, of Yarmouth, was second. The distance ridden was forty-three miles.
July 15th 1879
An important question affecting the boundary of the city came before the Norwich Town Council. The Town Clerk reported that, in the preparation of the Ordnance Survey, a question had arisen as to whether two pieces of land, one containing about 38 acres, situate in the parish of Catton, and the other of about 45 acres, with 150 houses thereon, situate in the parish of Sprowston, should not be included within the Parliamentary and municipal boundary of the city and county of the city of Norwich. On investigating the matter, it appeared that, by the charter of Philip and Mary, granted to the city in 1556, these two inclosures of land were clearly defined as being within the city boundary, and by several ancient manuscripts and books, including Blomefield’s “History of Norfolk,” reference was also made to these lands as belonging to the city. It also appeared by the report of the Commissioners appointed to report on the boundaries of boroughs and corporate towns, by order of the House of Commons, on April 25th, 1837, that such lands were within the city jurisdiction, and a plan attached to such report corroborated the fact. The matter being important, and the Town Clerk having been requested to state whether the city authorities were willing in the new survey to allow such lands to be shown as forming part of the county of Norfolk, it was referred to the Parliamentary and Bylaws Committee, for further investigation and consideration. On August 26th, the Committee reported that they had consulted the Town Clerk and Major Jones, of the Ordnance Survey, had referred to extracts from charters and from Blomefield, and had resolved that sufficient evidence had not been produced to set forth where the boundary of the city of Norwich should be drawn, and that, therefore, they left Major Jones to define it as he might think best, without prejudice to the rights of any party.
July 19th 1879
The 3rd and 4th Battalions of Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp on Yarmouth South Denes. Colonel Bulwer, who had succeeded Colonel Duff, was in command of the 3rd Battalion, and Lieut.-Colonel Gurdon commanded the 4th Battalion.
July 20th 1879
Owing to a heavy and continuous downpour of rain and a strong wind blowing from the north-west, the waters of the Yare were “backed up,” overflowed the banks of the river, and submerged many thousand acres of marshes between Norwich and Yarmouth. Most of the hay crop in Norfolk was ruined by the wet weather.
July 23rd 1879
A silver epergne was presented to Mr. E. H. H. Combe, Mayor of Yarmouth, as a “silver cradle,” to commemorate the birth of a daughter in his year of office.
July 26th 1879
Particulars were published on this date of the establishment of the Norwich Steam Laundry and Public Baths, at North Heigham.
July 27th 1879
A remarkable landslip occurred at Attleborough. As Mr. Gathergood, a farmer, whose land lay partly in Attleborough and Rockland, was crossing a turnip field, he was stunned by a loud report resembling the roar of a cannon, immediately followed by a rustling noise within a yard or two of him. On recovering his presence of mind, he discovered that a space of land twenty-four yards in circumference had sunk out of sight, and water was rising in its stead. On the 28th the water subsided, and revealed a chasm from thirty-five to forty feet deep, with perfectly perpendicular sides. This strange phenomenon was attributed to the action of the heavy rainfall.
August 2nd 1879
A terrible thunderstorm and hurricane commenced in the night and prevailed during the early hours of the morning of the 3rd (Sunday). It was accompanied by a deluge of rain and a heavy hailstorm. Great damage was done to property in city and county. But the greatest calamity was the destruction of Wells church, the tower of which was struck by lightning at 5.50 a.m. on the 3rd. The roof of the nave was soon in flames, and fell in with a crash, and by nine o’clock the whole church was reduced to a state of utter ruin. The fine peal of bells was totally destroyed, and the entire damage was estimated at from £10,000 to £15,000. (_See_ April 18th, 1883.)
August 4th 1879
Died at Oxford Street, Unthank’s Road, Norwich, Mr. Thomas William Bond, in his 76th year. Mr. Bond was some time subeditor, and afterwards publisher, of the “Norfolk News,” and before removing to Norwich kept a school at Barton Mills, near Stoke Ferry. He was the compiler of a small book for children, known as “Bond’s Catechism,” which was published by Jarrold, and for many years extensively used in all parts of the country.
August 5th 1879
Died at the residence of his son, Belmont House, Newport, Essex, Zachariah Buck, Mus. Doc. He was born at Norwich on September 19th, 1798, and at an early age attracted the attention of Dr. Beckwith, the then organist of the Cathedral, who took him into the choir. Dr. Beckwith died in 1809, and was succeeded as organist by his son, Mr. John Beckwith, with whom young Buck continued, and to whom he was articled. On the death of Beckwith, in 1819, Buck, at the early age of twenty-one, succeeded in obtaining the appointment of Cathedral organist, his chief competitor being Alfred Pettet, a fellow-pupil, who was appointed to St. Peter Mancroft. Buck soon obtained a large and lucrative practice as a teacher, and established his reputation as a trainer of boys. For nearly forty years he continued to perform the active duties of organist and choirmaster, but during the last twenty years of his life he relinquished the organ to his subsequent assistant and partner, Dr. Bunnett. Besides instructing during his long career some 7,000 amateur pupils, Dr. Buck trained a very large number of professional students, most of whom were selected from his choir. He composed no great work, but was the author of a number of pleasing anthems, and of the hymn, “Come hither, angel tongues invite,” which, it was understood, gained for him his Lambeth degree of Doctor of Music, conferred upon him by the Archbishop of Canterbury. He resigned, on June 5th, 1877, his appointment at the Cathedral, after seventy years’ connection therewith. Dr. Buck was twice married—first to Miss Hansell, and secondly to Miss Holloway, and left three sons.
August 11th 1879
The British, Archæological Association opened its congress at Yarmouth. Lord Waveney, as president, delivered an inaugural address. The members of the Congress visited Norwich on the 18th.
August 26th 1879
Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., having declined the invitation of the Government to become a member of the Royal Commission appointed to enquire into the depressed state of agriculture and its causes, and believing that he could serve farmers better another way, sailed on this date from Liverpool for America, in the City of Montreal liner, in company with Mr. Albert Pell, M.P. The object of the hon. gentlemen was to collect, in the United States, information conducive to the inquiry, and this duty they undertook as unpaid assistant commissioners. They made a tour through the Western agricultural regions of Manitoba, Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky, went south-west to Texas, and returned to Philadelphia on November 26th. They thoroughly examined the system of cultivation, transportation, and ocean shipment of provisions and grain; they travelled an average of 120 miles each day, besides making minute investigations; and in this work they were greatly assisted by the St. Paul and Sioux City Railway, who gave them the use of a special train for a week. They examined the terminal and shipping facilities of the Pennsylvania railroad, the American steamship line at Philadelphia, and the Abbatoir Company’s arrangements for the shipping of live and dead meat. After visiting Baltimore, Washington, and New York, Mr. Read and Mr. Pell sailed for home on December 10th. Mr. Read arrived in Norfolk on December 22nd, and was welcomed at Wymondham station by Mrs. Read and several personal friends.
August 26th 1879
The Town Clerk reported, at a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, that the Norwich Improvement Act received the Royal assent on July 22nd. Among the works which it enabled the city to undertake was to remove Foundry Bridge and construct a new one forty-five feet wide; to build a bridge across the Wensum at St. Martin-at-Oak, and to exercise increased powers in the sanitary administration and local government of the city.
August 30th 1879
The death was announced, at Brussels, of Lord Gordon of Drumearn, who, when Lord Advocate for Scotland, in 1867, was returned as member of Parliament for the borough of Thetford.
September 16th 1879
The Norwich Town Council adopted a resolution authorising the paving of the Provision Market with wood, at a cost not exceeding £1,100. (_See_ August 31st, 1880.)
September 16th 1879
The improvement of Chapel Field, Norwich, was, after many delays, ordered by the Town Council to be undertaken, at a sum not exceeding £1,000, the cost to be charged to the sanitary rate. On November 7th the Mayor and Mayoress (Mr. and Mrs. Bullard) and Mrs. Donald Steward planted the first of the new trees. (_See_ November 4th, 1880.)
October 6th 1879
Died at Norwich, in his 70th year, the Rev. William Grigson, M.A., for thirty-three years rector of Whinburgh and Westfield. A son of Mr. Edward Harvey Grigson, of Saham Toney, he was educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and married, in 1844, Margaret, third daughter of Mr. James Hales, of Norwich. The first of his ancestors to settle in the county was the Rev. William Grigson, M.A., rector of Hardingham, in 1584, and since that period they have continued to reside in Norfolk, where they once held a large extent of landed property. Mr. Grigson’s favourite studies were archæology and genealogy. As an authority upon the latter, his assistance was sought from all parts of the kingdom, and his name will always be remembered in connection with the “Visitations of Norfolk,” of which work he was a joint editor.
October 15th 1879
Died at the Chantry, Norwich, in his 77th year, Mr. G. Pinson, formerly Governor of Norwich Castle.
October 28th 1879
Died at Knapton House, Sir Henry Robinson, K.B., in his 76th year. He was a son of Mr. George Robinson, and served for some years in her Majesty’s Bodyguard of Gentlemen-at-Arms, of which he was appointed Standard-Bearer in 1840, and Lieutenant-Commanding in 1845. In 1842 he married Lucy, daughter of Mr. W. D. Cooper-Cooper, of Toddington Manor, Bedford.
November 6th 1879
The Norwich Diocesan Conference was opened at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop. The proceedings were continued on the 7th.
November 10th 1879
The Norwich Town Council, owing to political differences, were unable to elect a Mayor. Mr. Willis was nominated and declared elected, but refused to take office. Mr. Philip Back having been appointed Sheriff, the meeting was adjourned until the 22nd, when the Liberal party declining to nominate, Colonel Bignold proposed Mr. Samuel Newman, who refused to accept the position. Another adjournment was made to the 28th, when Mr. Harry Bullard declared his readiness, by accepting the office for another year, to relieve the city of the stigma cast upon it. The meeting then adjourned until December 2nd, when Mr. Bullard was re-elected.
November 18th 1879
Mr. Frank Buckland and Mr. Spencer Walpole, Inspectors of Fisheries, opened an inquiry at Cromer as to an application for an Order prohibiting either entirely or subject to such exceptions and restrictions as the Board of Trade might determine, the fishing for and taking of small edible crabs and berried hen lobsters. A similar inquiry was held at Sheringham on the 19th.
November 20th 1879
The Norwich Fat Cattle Show was opened at Chapel Field, and was continued on the 21st and 22nd.
December 3rd 1879
Died at Westbourne Terrace, Hyde Park, London, Mr. John Unthank. The third son of Mr. William Unthank, of Norwich, a solicitor in considerable practice and agent to Mr. Coke, afterwards Earl of Leicester, he was born in 1798. In 1842 he was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn, and joined the Northern Circuit, where, for several years, he practised as a special pleader. In 1859 he was appointed a Master of the Court of Queen’s Bench, and held the post until 1878, when he retired, in consequence of ill-health.
December 7th 1879
Died at 18, Bethel Street, Norwich, Mr. Frederick Lawrence Phillips, journalist, for many years editor and part proprietor of the “Norwich Argus.” Mr. Phillips, who was sixty years of age, was originally intended for the legal profession, but took to the stage, upon which he achieved fair success, and married Miss Ellen Daly, a prominent actress of her day. An unfortunate accident, while playing Rob Roy, at Norwich Theatre, terminated his hope of advancement in the theatrical profession. Confined to his couch for some time, he employed himself in the study of languages, and subsequently devoted himself to the translation of tales and dramas, and to the production of original dramatic works.
December 9th 1879
The Rev. Osborne W. Tancock, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, seventeen years master at Sherborne School, was appointed master of Norwich Grammar School, in place of the Rev. Dr. Jessopp, on his presentation to the rectory of Scarning.
December 18th 1879
The marriage of William Heveagre Legge, Viscount Lewisham, Member of Parliament for West Kent, eldest son of the Earl of Dartmouth, with Lady Mary Coke, fourth daughter of the Earl of Leicester, took place at Holkham.
December 25th 1879
Died at Threxton, aged 68, Mr. Thomas Edward Walter Barton. The Watton and Thetford Railway was originated mainly through Mr. Barton’s instrumentality. His favourite study was archæology, and he possessed a valuable antiquarian collection and library.
December 26th 1879
The Christmas pantomime produced at Norwich Theatre by Mr. R. Hall was entitled, “Aladdin the Great.”
December 27th 1879
Died at his residence, Upper Surrey Street, Norwich, aged 68, Mr. Thomas Brightwell, a well-known solicitor, and clerk to the Charity Trustees, in which office he was succeeded by Mr. E. S. Bignold.