January 1st 1877
A deputation of the clergy and tenantry on the Royal estate waited upon the Prince of Wales at Sandringham, and presented him with a silver casket and an address, congratulating his Royal Highness upon his safe return from India.
January 4th 1877
Castleacre church was re-opened for public worship after its restoration, at the cost of about £3,000, almost entirely subscribed by the parishioners. The chancel was renovated through the munificence of the Earl of Leicester, lord of the manor, and holder of the impropriate tithes.
January 4th 1877
Died at Ashwicken Rectory, the Rev. John Freeman, aged 61. He was the author of a life of Kirby, the entomologist, published in 1852.
January 5th 1877
The trial of a petition filed by Mr. J. D. Smith against the return of Mr. Philip Back and Mr. Josiah Harrison Ladyman, as members for the Fourth Ward, at the Norwich Municipal Election, in November, 1876, commenced in the Sessions Court at the Guildhall, before Mr. Thomas William Saunders, barrister, and Recorder of Bath, the Commissioner appointed for the purpose. This was the first municipal inquiry of the kind that had been held in the city, and the greatest interest was taken in the proceedings. The petitioner, who alleged bribery, treating, and other corrupt practices, was represented by Mr. Merewether, Q.C., M.P., and Mr. Blofeld; and the respondents by Mr. Grantham, M.P., and the Hon. John de Grey. The inquiry lasted eight days, and on the 13th the Commissioner delivered judgment, declaring the respondents to be duly elected. The scene which ensued in the court was one of the wildest enthusiasm, which was increased by the announcement that costs followed the event. In the evening the bells of St. Peter Mancroft were rung, and a band paraded the streets of the city.
January 18th 1877
The first annual meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Bicycle Club was held at the Grapes Hotel, Norwich. The first road race of the club took place on April 30th. Six competitors entered for the run, which was from the Grapes Hotel by way of Unthank’s Road to Wymondham, Wicklewood, &c., and thence to Carleton Forehoe, through Colney and Earlham, to the top of Belvoir Street, Earlham Road—distance about 24 miles. The winner was J. Campling; F. D. Wheeler second. The club uniform consisted of “a cloth helmet with a metallic monogram in front, a smart dark gray tunic, and knickerbockers.” The first sports organized by the club were held, by permission of the Corporation, in Chapel Field, on October 18th.
January 19th 1877
Died at Bracondale, Miss Fanny Anne Martineau, only daughter of Mr. Philip M. Martineau, aged 64. She was a cousin of Harriet Martineau, the authoress, and, like other members of the family, possessed intellectual gifts of a high order.
January 19th 1877
Died at Nice, Lord George William Loftus, third son of John, second Marquis of Ely, by Maria, daughter of Sir H. W. Dashwood, Bart. He was born in May, 1813, and in June, 1846, married Martha, eldest daughter of Mr. J. Fuller, of Norwich.
January 27th 1877
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. R. Coller), at which it was resolved, on the motion of Mr. C. S. Read, seconded by Mr. George Forrester, “That it is desirable to hold a Christmas show for the county of Norfolk and city of Norwich, of fat stock and other produce of the farm and garden.” A second meeting was held on February 10th, when the Norfolk and Norwich Christmas Show Association was established, with the Prince of Wales as patron. The first show commenced on Thursday, November 22nd, and closed on Saturday, the 24th. The general exhibits were displayed in the Volunteer Drill Hall, and the live stock shown in an annexe erected in Chapel Field.
January 30th 1877
A severe gale occurred at Yarmouth. The sea rose to a great height, broke over the Marine Parade, and did considerable damage, and many houses on the North Quay were flooded. Several fishing vessels were lost in the storm. The Lords of the Admiralty sent the Valorous and Seamew, Government vessels, in search of the missing boats, but they returned to the Roads on February 24th and 25th, and reported that no intelligence had been gained. Of the Yarmouth, men alone 112 perished, leaving 46 widows, 11 aged parents, and 101 children. A fund was raised for their relief, and £5,255 collected, including £2,715 from the Mansion House.
February 2nd 1877
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor, for the purpose of considering a Bill proposed to be introduced in Parliament for the preservation of fish in the rivers Wensum, Yare, and Waveney. Mr. Frank Buckland and Mr. Spencer Walpole, inspectors of fisheries, attended the meeting, and resolutions were adopted in favour of legislation. The Norfolk and Suffolk Fisheries Bill passed the Select Committee of the House of Commons on May 8th, and was reported to the House, and before the end of the year became law.
February 3rd 1877
Died at her residence, High Street, Lowestoft, Dame Pleasance Smith, widow of Sir James Edward Smith, of Norwich, formerly president of the Linnæan Society. This venerable lady, who was 103 years of age, had received from Queen Victoria a copy of “Our Life in the Highlands,” containing the inscription, in her Majesty’s own handwriting, “To Lady Smith, on her one hundredth birthday, from her friend, Victoria R., May 11th, 1873.”
February 3rd 1877
The Earl of Leicester presided at a meeting held at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, “for the purpose of turning to the best account the large sum of money offered to the Hospital by the public.” It was stated that £24,000 had been subscribed, and that £35,000 was the maximum sum required. The Sheriff (Mr. Cadge) moved, “That, in the opinion of this meeting, it is expedient that a new hospital should be erected, in lieu of any plan for improving the old building.” Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P., seconded the motion, which was adopted. (_See_ June 17th, 1879.)
February 5th 1877
Mr. C. J. Palmer, author of “The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth,” was presented with a silver epergne and gold watch by the inhabitants of the borough, in recognition of his labours in antiquarian work and literature.
February 9th 1877
Died at Norwich, aged 59, Mr. James Frederick Hill, for twenty-five years chorus master of the Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival.
February 15th 1877
A resolution having been passed by the owners and ratepayers, declaring the expediency of the parish of East Dereham being constituted a local government district, Mr. Arnold Taylor, the inspector appointed for the purpose, held an inquiry at the Assembly Rooms, and received evidence on the subject. The first Local Improvement Board was elected on August 1st.
February 19th 1877
At Norwich Theatre, Mr. W. H. Pennington, “the celebrated tragic actor, one of the Six Hundred, formerly of the 11th Hussars, and one of the few wounded survivors of the world-famed light cavalry charge at Balaclava, on October 25th, 1854,” made his first appearance, in the character of Hamlet, and was supported by Miss Viola Dacre as Ophelia. On subsequent evenings Mr. Pennington appeared as Macbeth, Richard the Third, &c., and on the 23rd recited, in the uniform of his old regiment, “The Charge of the Light Brigade.”
March 5th 1877
Died at Great Yarmouth, Major-General Francis Montague Ommanney, R.A., aged 50 years. He was the youngest son of Mr. E. S. Ommanney, formerly of Yarmouth, by Henrietta, daughter of Sir Edmund Lacon, Bart. With the Royal Artillery he served in the West Indies, and saw much service in the Indian Mutiny, when he commanded a siege train under Sir Hugh Rose, afterwards Lord Strathnairn. He married Harriet Ellen, youngest daughter of Mr. John Mortlock Lacon.
March 6th 1877
Died at Scratby, Benjamin Daniels, “the last of the giants of East Anglia.” His age was 54; height, 6 ft. 6 in.; weight, 24 stones; width, from shoulder to shoulder across the back, 24 inches. He possessed great strength, and frequently loaded has own waggon by carrying four bushels of wheat under both arms at one time. “When in great haste to have his farm work done, the horses being much engaged, he has harnessed himself to one of his harrows and cultivated the land.” Daniels was buried at Ormesby St. Margaret, on March 12th.
March 10th 1877
An unprecedented incident occurred in the ring at Messrs. Stoodley and Harmston’s Circus, at Norwich, during the performance of “Dick Turpin’s Ride to York.” After the “ride,” which results in the death of Black Bess, the mare is removed from the scene on hurdles. On this occasion, when the grooms, at the conclusion of the performance, attempted to raise the animal, it was found that life was really extinct—Black Bess had sustained an internal rupture in leaping the “turnpike” gate. The animal was the property of a French-woman named Gaertner, and, as a trick horse, was valued at several hundred pounds.
March 15th 1877
The Norfolk Staghounds had an extraordinary run. The meet was at Hempnall House, and fifty horsemen were present. The stag ran to Shelton and Alburgh, and then made to the right for Redenhall, through Stanton, Pulham St. Mary, and Pulham Market, crossing the turnpike by Carpenter’s Walk, on through Wacton and Moulton, to Tivetshall station, where the first check of two minutes occurred—time, 1 hour 3 minutes; distance, 14 miles. The hounds again upon the line, went through Gissing to Dickleburgh, Burston, and Diss, made for the right to Shelfanger, when another slight check occurred. The field by this time had dwindled down to twelve. On again through Winfarthing to Kenninghall, to the left to Bridgham and East Harling, and back to Kenninghall, where the deer was recaptured and placed in a stable belonging to Messrs. Murton and Turner. The distance was supposed to be 45 miles, and the run occupied 3 hours 5 minutes. “Among those who rode straightest to the end of this wonderful run were Hickman, the huntsman, who went like a bird, and handled his horse well; Mr. E. Fellowes, Mr. T. N. Ward, Mr. James Limmer, Mr. Cross, and two officers of the Royal Dragoons, from Norwich.”
March 23rd 1877
A petition having been sent to the Local Government Board by the Corporation of Norwich, asking them to issue a provisional order confirming an improvement scheme made under the Artisans’ and Labourers’ Dwellings Improvement Act, 1875, with reference to an area in the parish of St. Paul which had been declared by the Medical-Officer of Health as unhealthy and unfit for habitation, Lieut.-Colonel Ponsonby Cox, R.E., one of the inspectors of the Local Government Board, held an inquiry at the Guildhall, for the purpose of ascertaining the correctness of the official representation. The inspector commended the scheme, and stated that it was of a most satisfactory character.
March 24th 1877
Captain Tyler, inspector of railways, made an official inspection of the newly-constructed railway between Gunton and Cromer, and consented to its being opened for traffic on the 26th.
March 24th 1877
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Baron Bramwell, Ann Farrow, a widow living at Nordelph, brought an action against John Robert Childs, stonemason, of Norwich, to recover damages for breach of promise of marriage. After a trial which lasted two days, and in which the plaintiff made some remarkable allegations, the jury returned a verdict for the defendant.
April 5th 1877
A new organ, erected at Swaffham church, by Messrs. Bishop and Son, of London, was opened.
April 7th 1877
At the adjourned Norwich Quarter Sessions, before the Recorder (Mr. W. J. Metcalfe, Q.C.), a special jury was empanelled to assess the value of certain property in London Street, which the Corporation proposed to take under the compulsory provisions of their Act of Parliament for the purpose of widening the thoroughfare. At a meeting of the Town Council on May 8th, it was agreed that the owners be offered sums amounting to £9,818.
April 9th 1877
Lieut.-Colonel Bignold was elected president of the Norwich Central Conservative Club, a position which conferred upon him the leadership of the Conservative party in Norwich.
April 9th 1877
The Norwich Corporation farms at Whitlingham and Kirby Bedon having entailed a loss to the city of £4,000 in five years, the Town Council accepted the tender of Mr. Garrett Taylor, of Easton, to hire them at the annual rent of £1,710.
April 12th 1877
At a meeting held at the King’s Arms Hotel, North Walsham, nearly £300 was subscribed to start a pack of harriers in North Norfolk, and an offer by Lord Suffield to keep the pack in his kennels at Gunton was unanimously accepted.
April 13th 1877
Mr. Samuel Brandram, M.A., gave a dramatic recital at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, in aid of the building fund of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. It was the first appearance in Norwich of this accomplished elocutionist, who was regarded as the legitimate successor of the great Bellew.
April 18th 1877
The 5th Royal Irish Lancers, commanded by Colonel Dunham Massy, of Redan fame, marched into Norwich from Aldershot, to relieve the 1st Dragoons (Royal).
April 30th 1877
At Norwich Theatre, H. J. Byron’s comedy, “Our Boys,” was presented for the first time by Mr. Duck’s company. The part of Perkyn Middlewick was played by Mr. F. Marshall.
April 30th 1877
Died at Norwich, aged 36, Mr. Robert Edward Gibson, surgeon. He was the son of a solicitor, a former Mayor of Plymouth, and a nephew of Mr. C. M. Gibson, his predecessor in the office of medical superintendent of the Norwich Bethel. For some years he was surgeon to the Jenny Lind Infirmary, and held the appointments of surgeon to the City Police, the Post Office staff, and the Workhouse. Mr. Gibson married a daughter of Mr. I. O. Taylor.
May 19th 1877
Died at his residence at Catton, Mr. Osborn Springfield, in his 65th year. He was a son of Mr. T. O. Springfield, and served the office of Mayor of Norwich in 1863–4. For many years he was a member of the Town Council and a magistrate for the city, and was reputed to be one of the largest owners of cottage property in Norwich. Mr. Springfield was a Liberal in politics.
May 26th 1877
The Norwich Town Council accepted the resignation of Mr. C. Thwaites, City Engineer, on his appointment to a similar post in the borough of Sunderland. Mr. Peter Paul Marshall, of Stone, near Dartford, was elected to fill the vacancy.
June 7th 1877
A grand military tournament, the first of its kind in Norwich, was given on the Lakenham Cricket Ground by the officers and men of the 5th Royal Irish Lancers, in aid of a fund for the widow and orphans of Mr. A. Frayling, late bandmaster of the regiment.
June 14th 1877
The veteran actor, Mr. Charles Mathews, commenced a three nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, as Adonis Evergreen, in the comedy of “My Awful Dad.”
June 20th 1877
The two days’ show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association was opened in the grounds of Walcot Hall, Diss. Sir Edward C. Kerrison, Bart., presided at the luncheon.
June 24th 1877
Died at 12, Queensbury Place, London, Sir John Henry Thomas Manners Sutton, third Viscount Canterbury and Baron Bottesford. His lordship was the younger and only surviving son of the first Viscount Canterbury, better known as Sir Charles Manners Sutton, for seventeen years Speaker of the House of Commons. Educated at Eton and at Trinity College, Cambridge, he sat in Parliament in 1839–40 as member for Cambridge. He was again elected in 1841, on his appointment as Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department under Sir Robert Peel’s second Administration. From 1854 to 1861 he was Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, and from 1864 to 1866 Governor of Trinidad. In the latter year he was appointed Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Victoria. On his lordship’s return to England in 1873, he resided chiefly on his estate in Norfolk. He married, July 5th, 1838, Georgiana, youngest daughter of Mr. Charles Tompson, of Witchingham Hall, by whom he had, with other issue, the Hon. Henry Charles Manners Sutton, who married Amyée Rachael, only daughter of the Hon. Frederick Walpole, M.P.
July 5th 1877
Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., gave evidence before the Select Committee appointed by the House of Commons to consider what further legislation might be necessary for the repression of cattle disease, and for the regulation of the importation of foreign cattle. Mr. Read insisted upon the necessity of slaughtering foreign fat beasts at the port of debarkation, and of a period of quarantine for store stock, which he would only allow to be landed at certain ports.
July 7th 1877
At the Norwich Police Court, John L’Estrange, of Union Place, “the well-known archæological authority, who has published one or two highly important and valuable works on the archæology of Norfolk,” was charged with forging the name of Francis Gostling Foster, distributor of stamps, with intent to defraud, and with stealing stamps to the amount of £1,400. The prisoner had been in the office for twenty years, and had charge of the stamp department. He was committed for trial on the 13th, and at the ensuing Assizes, on August 4th, pleaded guilty, and was sentenced by Sir James Fitzjames Stephen to seven years’ penal servitude. L’Estrange died in Millbank Prison, from fistula, on October 15th.
July 14th 1877
The Norfolk team won the China Cup at the Wimbledon meeting. Exceedingly good shooting was made by Norfolk Volunteers, and upwards of £150 was brought to the county.
July 21st 1877
Died at St. Leonard’s-on-Sea, the Rev. John Nathaniel Micklethwait, of Taverham, aged 65. He was the eldest surviving son of Mr. Nathaniel Micklethwait, who was High Sheriff in 1810. In 1849 he married Emily Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Mr. Charles Mills, of Hillingdon Court, Middlesex, and succeeded to the family estates on the death of his brother, in July, 1856. Mr. Micklethwait had no family, and was succeeded by his next brother, Henry Nathaniel, born in 1814. He was a warm supporter of the Conservative party, took a great interest in agriculture, and, in his later years, turned his attention to the breeding of shorthorns, of which he had formed a fine herd.
July 21st 1877
Died at Portman Square, London, Mr. William Earle Lytton Bulwer, of Heydon Hall, the chief representative of the old Norman family of Bulwer, which has held a leading position in Norfolk since the time of the Conquest. Mr. Bulwer was born April 29th, 1799, and was the eldest son of General William Earle Bulwer, who married Elizabeth, daughter and sole heiress of Mr. Richard Warburton Lytton, of Knebworth Park, Herts., and whose other sons were the celebrated novelist and statesman, Lord Lytton, and the well-known diplomatist, Baron Dalling and Bulwer. Mr. Bulwer succeeded to the estates of his father in 1807, and married, in 1827, Emily, youngest daughter of General Gascoyne, by whom he had three sons and three daughters. He married subsequently, in 1841, Elizabeth, daughter of William Green, of Forty Hill, Enfield. He was succeeded by his eldest son, William Earle Gascoyne Lytton, formerly of the Scots Fusilier Guards, who married, in 1855, Marion Dering, daughter and heiress of Mr. W. Lee Warner, of Quebec House, East Dereham. Mr. Bulwer was a Liberal in politics, and took a leading part in all political movements in North Norfolk, where he was popular as a landlord, and had considerable influence.
July 21st 1877
The 3rd and 4th Battalions of Norfolk Rifle Volunteers, commanded respectively by Lieut.-Colonel Duff, M.P., and Lieut.-Colonel Gurdon, went into camp at Yarmouth, and on the 26th were inspected by Colonel Harenc.
July 25th 1877
The two principal stones of the nave of St. James’ church, Yarmouth, were laid by the Mayor and Mayoress (Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Steward). The sum of £2,300 had been collected for the erection of the nave. The architect was Mr. J. P. Seddon, and the contractor Mr. W. E. Martin, of Hereford. The work was completed at the cost of about £3,250, and the new building was opened on May 1st, 1878, when the sermon was preached by Dean Goulburn.
August 7th 1877
The first section of the Yarmouth and Stalham Railway—the portion extending from the first-mentioned town to Ormesby—was inspected by Major-General Hutchinson, R.E., and the first train was run on the 8th. (_See_ July 15th, 1878.)
August 20th 1877
The Norwich Rifle Volunteers were, for the first time, officially inspected in their new scarlet uniform. The inspecting officer was Colonel Harenc.
August 21st 1877
By the death, on this date, at Duntrune, Forfarshire, of Miss Clementine Stirling Grahame, in her 96th year, Mr. J. Edmund Lacon, of Yarmouth, succeeded to the estate of Duntrune, and to the relics and papers of the great Viscount Dundee.
August 22nd 1877
The first stone of the Hunstanton Convalescent Home was laid by the Countess of Leicester. The building was erected as a memorial of the convalescence of the Prince of Wales.
August 24th 1877
Died at Denton Rectory, near Harleston, the Ven. William Arundell Bouverie, B.D., Hon. Canon of Norwich, and formerly Archdeacon of Norfolk, in his 80th year. He was appointed to the living of Denton in 1839, accepted the archdeaconry in 1850, and resigned it in 1869, in consequence of ill-health.
September 17th 1877
Died, Mr. William Cooper, barrister, and Recorder of Ipswich. He was the eldest son of Mr. W. Cooper, barrister, of Norwich, and brother of Mr. Carlos Cooper. Called to the Bar in 1831, he practised in Norwich and on the Norfolk circuit for some years, but ultimately settled in London, and devoted his attention to the Central Criminal Court, where he enjoyed a large practice. He was the author of several dramatic pieces, the principal of which, “Mokanna, or the Veiled Prophet of Khorassan,” a play in blank verse, was produced at Norwich Theatre, with great success, on April 21st, 1843. Mr. Cooper was succeeded in the Recordership of Ipswich by Mr. Thomas Calthorpe Blofeld.
September 22nd 1877
Norwich Theatre was re-opened for the winter season, under the management of Mr. G. H. Chaplin. The house had undergone partial and much-needed cleansing and decoration.
September 24th 1877
The newly-formed Diocesan Bell Ringers’ Association held its first annual meeting in Norwich. The society was established by the Rev. G. H. Harris, Mr. Gervas Holmes, and other gentlemen interested in bells and bell ringing.
October 16th 1877
A remarkable case of fraud was tried at the Norwich Quarter Sessions, before the Recorder (Mr. J. W. Metcalfe, Q.C.). The prisoner, one William Dowman, was charged with defrauding accident insurance companies. He insured under various names with different companies, and by a peculiar formation of his joints was enabled to assume the appearance of having been injured. By this means he obtained medical certificates, and made successful claims upon the offices. He was sentenced to fifteen calendar months’ imprisonment.
October 25th 1877
The sale of the Taverham Hall herd of pure-bred shorthorns and whole-coloured Jerseys was conducted by Mr. John Thornton. The total amount realised was £3,041 1s. 6d.
November 1st 1877
The restored chancel and newly-erected organ of Diss church were opened. The instrument was built by Messrs. J. Rayson and Sons, of Ipswich, at the cost of £360.
November 1st 1877
At Ipswich Assizes (where Norfolk prisoners were, on this occasion, tried), before Mr. Justice Hawkins, Henry March (59), blacksmith, was indicted for the wilful murder of Henry Bidewell, blacksmith, and Thomas Moys, shoeing-smith and farmer, at Wymondham, on October 20th. The prisoner was found guilty and sentenced to death. The execution took place at Norwich Castle on November 20th. Marwood was the executioner.
November 3rd 1877
Died at Camperdown Place, Great Yarmouth, Mr. William Thurtell, in his 83rd year. Mr. Thurtell, who was a staunch supporter of Conservative principles, was appointed a magistrate for the borough in 1846. His father was Mayor of Norwich in 1828.
November 6th 1877
In the House of Lords, before the Lord Chancellor, Lord Penzance, Lord Blackburn, and Lord Gordon, the action, Read _v._ Bailey, was heard, on an appeal from a decision by the Lords Justices. On an inspection of the books of the Bank on the failure of the firm of Harveys and Hudsons, in 1870, it was discovered that Sir Robert Harvey had abstracted large sums of money from the coffers of the Bank, and had sought to cover the deficiency by the opening of fictitious accounts, and by crediting forged bills to his private account. In consequence, the trustee under the bankruptcy of the firm preferred a claim against the separate estate of Sir Robert Harvey, amounting to the sum of £600,000, for the moneys so abstracted by Sir Robert Harvey in his lifetime. This claim was, in 1876, supported by a great mass of evidence before the Master of the Rolls, who decided in favour of the claim, and gave the trustee of Harveys and Hudsons the right to rank as a creditor against the private or separate estate of Sir Robert Harvey, in competition with the stockbrokers and other private creditors. The importance of the decision of the Master of the Rolls, as affecting the interests of the stockbrokers, was great. But for this claim of £600,000 they would have received 20s. in the pound on their debts, whereas the allowance of the claim to rank in competition with their debts prevented Sir Robert Harvey’s private estate paying more than 6s. 8d. in the pound. The stockbrokers accordingly appealed to the Lords Justices against the decision of the Master of the Rolls, and their lordships upheld the claim of £600,000, and dismissed the stockbrokers’ appeal, with costs. The stockbrokers now appealed to the House of Lords, who confirmed the judgments of the Lords Justices and the Master of the Rolls, and dismissed the appeal, with costs; in other words, admitting the trustee’s claim for £600,000. (_See_ December 3rd, 1880.)
November 9th 1877
Mr. Joseph De Carle Smith was elected Mayor, and Mr. Harry Bullard appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 10th 1877
It was announced that Mr. Francis Edmund Gladstone, Mus. Bac., Cantab., had been appointed organist of Norwich Cathedral, in the room of Dr. Buck, who resigned the appointment in the month of June. Regret was expressed that Dr. Bunnett’s claims for the post should have been “so strangely and perversely ignored.” Much adverse feeling was manifested, and on November 28th a complimentary concert was given to Dr. Bunnett, under the patronage of the leading inhabitants of the county and city.
November 11th 1877
During a heavy gale at Yarmouth, six vessels were driven ashore, and many other shipping casualties were reported.
November 21st 1877
A meeting of the promoters of the Lynn and Fakenham Railway was held at Fakenham, and the necessary steps taken in furtherance of the scheme. (_See_ May 21st, 1880.)
November 24th 1877
Died, suddenly, at Norwich, in his 65th year, Mr. Thomas Jarrold, the last survivor of the three brothers who comprised the well-known firm of Jarrold and Sons. Mr. Jarrold took especial interest in the education of the poor, in acknowledgment of which his friends, shortly before his death, presented him with his portrait.
November 26th 1877
The new Middle Level Sluice, at Wiggenhall St. Mary, near King’s Lynn, was opened by Mr. E. Fellowes, M.P., chairman of the Middle Level Commission. This sluice replaced the one designed by Mr. J. Walker and constructed by Brogden, of Manchester, at the cost of £30,000, in 1842, which gave way on May 4th, 1862, with the widespread and disastrous consequences known as the Middle Level inundation. After many unsuccessful attempts to construct a dam across the drain, Sir John Hawkshaw, C.E., was called in, and he eventually succeeded in that object, and under his advice sixteen large iron syphons, with the necessary engine and apparatus for exhausting air from them, were constructed upon the dam, so as to secure an outlet of the drainage without admitting sea water from the Ouze. These syphons answered very well for years, but were not equal to the task. The Commissioners went to Parliament in 1874, and obtained powers to raise money to construct a new sluice, from designs by Sir J. Hawkshaw, at an estimated cost of between £50,000 and £60,000, and the work was commenced by the contractor, Mr. Webster, in September, 1874.
December 3rd 1877
Died at Hindringham, in his 93rd year, Mr. William Freeman, formerly resident in Norwich. He was appointed Sheriff in 1842, and elected Mayor in 1843.
December 7th 1877
Mr. Harry Bullard, Sheriff of Norwich, was presented by the clerks and heads of departments at the Anchor Brewery with his portrait, painted in oil by Mr. Ventnor.
December 19th 1877
Died at Birmingham, in his 79th year, Mr. George Smith, for many years manager of the Norwich Theatrical Circuit. “If unsuccessful in his managerial speculations, he was much esteemed for his kindly disposition, and had in Norwich at one time hosts of friends.”
December 26th 1877
The pantomime produced at Norwich Theatre, by Mr. G. H. Chaplin, was entitled, “Sinbad the Sailor.” At the Skating Rink, then known as the Vaudeville Theatre, was performed the extravaganza, “Turko the Terrible; or Prince Amabel and the Fairy Roses.” Messrs. Stoodley and Hamilton’s Circus was opened on the Castle Meadow.