January 2nd 1874
Died at Neal’s Square, St. Benedict’s Church Alley, Norwich, Susannah Steavenson, in her 105th year. “A few days ago she repeated no less than thirty verses which she had learnt at school 95 years ago. She attended the Mayor’s feast, given to the aged poor last Whit-Monday, and was accompanied by her daughter, aged 79. Mrs. Steavonson was born December 14th, 1769, and, according to a certificate given in 1836 by the Rev. W. F. Blakewell, the then minister at the Octagon chapel, was baptised there on December 24th, 1769. She was the daughter of Joshua Sabberton, chairmaker, in St. George’s Colegate.”
January 7th 1874
Died at Saxlingham Hall, Mr. Edward Steward, aged 67. He was the last Tory Alderman elected under the old Corporation, and, owing to his youth, was known as “The Boy Alderman.” In 1832 he fought a severe contest with Mr. (afterwards Sir William) Foster, for the office of Freemen’s Sheriff, and was defeated by seven votes only. In the following year he was elected without opposition, and served in conjunction with Mr. W. J. Utten Browne. Mr. Steward was president of the Norwich Union Fire Office.
January 13th 1874
Died at his residence, St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, Mr. John Godwin Johnson, in his 77th year. Born November 26th, 1797, he was the youngest son of Mr. John Johnson, for many years Governor of Norwich Castle. He became a pupil of Dr. Rigby, and afterwards joining Mr. Page Scott, commenced a long and successful career as a medical practitioner. Mr. Johnson was a member of both the old and “reformed” Corporations, was elected Mayor in 1855, and for twenty-five years was on the Haven and Pier Commission. He took a prominent part in founding the Jenny Lind Infirmary for Sick Children.
January 13th 1874
Died at Amélie les Bains, Mr. Charles Mends Gibson, F.R.C.S., aged 65. He was for many years resident medical-officer of the Norwich Bethel, devoted much of his time to scientific pursuits, was a member of the Royal Microscopical and other societies, and a warm supporter of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum and Literary Institution.
January 13th 1874
At a meeting of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, Sir Samuel Bignold was presented by the proprietors with his portrait (painted by Sandys), in recognition of his long and successful services as secretary.
January 16th 1874
The marriage of Lady Anne Coke, second daughter of the Earl of Leicester, with Lieut.-Colonel Edmund Manningham Buller, of the Rifle Brigade, second son of Sir Edward Manningham Buller, of Dilhorn Hall, Staffordshire, was solemnised at Holkham church.
January 20th 1874
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, the report of Mr. J. W. Bazalgette on the condition of the low-level sewer was adopted, and it was agreed to consult Sir John Hawkshaw and Mr. J. F. Bateman. On July 21st it was decided, on their recommendation, to line the sewer with cast-iron tubing; and on November 17th the Council passed a resolution in favour of applying to the Local Government Board for powers to raise for the purpose a sum not exceeding £25,000, on mortgage of the General District Rates.
January 23rd 1874
The marriage of the Duke of Edinburgh was celebrated in Norwich by the partial decoration of the city. The 3rd Dragoon Guards and the Volunteers paraded in the Market Place and fired a _feu de joie_, and at a special meeting of the Town Council congratulatory addresses were adopted and the loving-cup passed round. At night a display of fireworks took place on the Castle Meadow, and on the 27th the Mayor gave a _soirée_ at St. Andrew’s Hall.
January 31st 1874
The General Election, the first contested under the Ballot Act, commenced in Norfolk, with the unopposed return for the Northern Division of the Hon. Frederick Walpole and Sir Edmund K. Lacon, Bart.
January 31st 1874
King’s Lynn election took place. The candidates were the Hon. R. Bourke, 1,163 votes; Lord Claud Hamilton, 1,093; Sir William ffolkes, Bart., 999; and Mr. E. R. Wodehouse, 895.
February 2nd 1874
Sir William Bagge, Bart., and Mr. G. W. P. Bentinck were returned unopposed for West Norfolk.
February 4th 1874
Polling took place at Norwich, “when, owing to the operation of the Ballot Act, there was less excitement than usual.” The votes were counted on the 5th, and the poll was declared at five o’clock, as follows: Mr. J. J. Colman, 6,138; Mr. J. W. Huddleston, Q.C., 5,823; Mr. J. H. Tillett, 5,776; and Sir H. J. Stracey, Bart., 5,290. The number of votes polled was 11,786, and the time occupied in counting, eight hours. (_See_ August 16th, 1875.)
February 10th 1874
The South Norfolk election took place. The votes were counted at the Shirehall, Norwich, on the 11th, and the result was declared as follows: Mr. C. S. Read, 3,146; Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart., 3,010; Mr. R. T. Gurdon, 2,699. Mr. Read, M.P., and Sir R. J. Buxton, M.P., were, on April 9th, entertained at a banquet given at Wymondham by the Conservatives of the district, when Mr. H. W. B. Edwards, chairman of the South Norfolk Conservative Registration Association, presided.
February 14th 1874
Died at Snetterton, Sarah Edwards, aged 100 years.
February 15th 1874
Died at St. John Maddermarket, Norwich, the Rev. John Dalton, canon of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Northampton, in his 60th year. Canon Dalton was of Irish parentage, and passed the early years of his life at Coventry. After his ordination, he was employed on missions at Northampton, Lynn, and Norwich. In 1858–59 he resided at St. Alban’s College, Valladolid, in Spain. He returned to that country in 1866, to collect subscriptions towards the erection in London of a cathedral in memory of the illustrious Cardinal Wiseman, who was himself born in Spain; his mission was, however, unsuccessful. Canon Dalton was the author of several theological works. “Amiable, genial-hearted, charitable, and good, no sectarian difference was ever suffered to affect that thorough respect and esteem which was extended to him from the representatives of all creeds.”
February 28th 1874
At a meeting of the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, a resolution was adopted expressive of satisfaction on the appointment of the President, Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., as Parliamentary Secretary of the Local Government Board.
March 14th 1874
A meeting of the agriculturists of the county, whose interests were affected by the action of the Labourers’ Union, was held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, “to take action with reference to the demands now being pressed upon the occupiers of the soil.” It was decided to form a Norfolk Farmers’ Labour Defence Association. Another meeting took place on April 25th, for promoting the objects of the association. Many meetings were held throughout the county by the Labourers’ Union during this year, and much strong feeling was manifested. At the Norfolk Lent Assizes, on March 28th, before Mr. Justice Blackburn, the Rev. John Spurgin, vicar of Hockham, brought an action against Mr. John Edward Matthew Vincent, of the “Labourers’ Union Chronicle,” for publishing a false and malicious libel, “whereby he was injured in his credit and reputation as a clergyman.” The paper, which was published at Leamington, alleged that the “reverend divine” claimed tithe on charity coals supplied to the poor parishioners, and “had two tons out of the twenty carted to his divine rectory, for his own consumption.” The defendant afterwards expressed deep regret for publishing the imputation, and the jury found a verdict for the plaintiff—damages £100.
April 19th 1874
Died, while on a visit to Norwich, Mr. Robert Seaman, of Tunbridge Wells, aged 63. He served the office of Sheriff in 1856–57, and was a magistrate for the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk.
May 2nd 1874
The marriage of Lady Margaret Coke, sixth daughter of the Earl of Leicester, with the Hon. H. Strutt, eldest son of Lord Belper, took place at Holkham church.
May 5th 1874
Died at his residence, Newmarket Road, Norwich, Mr. John Robison. He was born in Norwich in November, 1809, was for many years a partner in the firm of Grout and Co., and in 1868 served the office of Sheriff.
May 9th 1874
Died in London, Lieut.-General Sir Archdale Wilson, G.C.B., Colonel commandant Royal Artillery. Born in 1803, he was a son of the Rev. George Wilson, of Kirby Cane (uncle of Lord Berners), by a daughter of the Rev. C. Millard, Chancellor of Norwich. He entered the service of the East India Company, and went through some of the earlier campaigns in India. For his eminent services during the Indian Mutiny he received the thanks of both Houses of Parliament, and was nominated in succession Companion, Knight Commander, and Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath. General Wilson was granted a pension of £1,000 a year by the East India Company, and created a baronet. He was a brother of Mr. Philip Wilson, a Lynn solicitor, with whom he resided for some time after his return from India, and was succeeded in the baronetcy by his nephew, Mr. Rowland Knyvett Wilson, Fellow of King’s College, Cambridge.
May 15th 1874
Died at his residence, Unthank’s Road, Norwich, Mr. John Briggs, who for many years was connected with the firm of Messrs. Bullard and Sons. Early in life Mr. Briggs married a sister-in-law of Mr. Richard Bullard, and sailed for America, where he landed with only a few shillings in his pocket. He offered his services as an assistant in a lithographic establishment, and though practically unacquainted with the business beyond a taste for drawing, he not only secured the appointment, but in a short time acquired sufficient knowledge of the art to earn a fair competence for himself. Amongst other work which subsequently came into his hands was the drawing of plans for many of the streets and blocks of buildings in Chicago, of which the chief part were destroyed in the great fire. Mr. Briggs made several remunerative purchases of land in the United States. Ill-health compelled him to return to England, and, settling in Norwich, he joined his brother-in-law in the Anchor Brewery, the success of which was greatly promoted by his active business habits.
May 19th 1874
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, certain members expressed strong disapproval of the action of the City Committee “in ordering the destruction of the chapel of Thomas à Becket, one of the archæological gems of the city.” Several members stated that they had never heard of the place, and the Town Clerk informed the Council that the chapel was “a vault at the back of the Dutch church,” and had been converted into a place of storage. The subject was discussed at a meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, on the 20th, when Mr. Gunn referred to the members of the Town Council as “a pachydermatous set,” and Sir Francis Boileau described them as “ruthless Goths.”
May 25th 1874
The Mayor and Sheriff of Norwich entertained, at St. Andrew’s Hall, 1,600 of the aged poor of the city, in celebration of the Queen’s birthday.
June 3rd 1874
Died, aged 69, Mr. John Oddin Taylor, of Norwich. He was an Alderman of the city, “and the grand Cattle Market and Prince of Wales Road, for which we are mainly indebted to him, are monuments of his far-seeing judgment and untiring zeal.” Descended from a long line of Norfolk yeomen, Mr. Taylor was born at Thuxton, on April 26th, 1805, and in due course was articled to Mr. T. Bignold and Mr. T. Brightwell. In politics he was one of the old school of Whigs, and on the passing of the Municipal Reform Act in 1835 became a member of the Corporation. Mr. Taylor was one of the Liberals who protested against the displacement of the old Corporation officials. He served the office of Mayor in 1861–62; was made a Deputy-Lieutenant of the county in acknowledgment of his political services as Liberal agent, and was a trustee of the Grammar and Commercial Schools, and an active member of the Committee of the Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival. Mr. Taylor married the eldest daughter of Mr. Brewer, of Mile End House, Norwich, and of the marriage there were two sons and three daughters.
June 15th 1874
A fire took place on the premises of Mr. Dixon, silversmith and jeweller, of London Street, Norwich, and did damage to the amount of £2,000.
June 17th 1874
The annual show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association commenced at Norwich. It was held upon the grounds of the Sheriff (Mr. A. R. Chamberlin), on Ipswich Road, and the luncheon was under the presidency of Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P.
June 18th 1874
A meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Provident Building Society was held at the Bell Hotel, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. H. S. Patteson, when it was reported that the secretary, Mr. Josiah Buttifant, had left the city on the 2nd inst., ostensibly for the purpose of taking a holiday; but it was afterwards discovered that he had committed defalcations to the amount of about £5,000. A committee was appointed to consider the best course to be adopted, and soon afterwards a petition was presented for the winding-up of the society, and a warrant issued for the apprehension of Buttifant. On July 6th William Frederick Fish, a clerk in the employment of Buttifant, was taken into custody, on the information of Samuel Beckett Hook, a shareholder in the society, on the charge of cheating and defrauding Agas Goose and others, trustees, of the sum of £10 7s., and on other days of divers other sums, amounting in the whole to £10,000. The accused was finally committed for trial on July 20th; and on July 27th Mr. Justice Blackburn granted an application for a writ of _certiorari_ to remove the trial of Fish to the Central Criminal Court. On August 14th a telegram was received in Norwich, announcing that Buttifant had been arrested at Valentia. The arrest was effected on August 7th, by Detective Williamson, of the Norwich police. Buttifant and his son Archibald were staying, under the name of Biron, at the Hotel de Ville Madrid, Valentia. He was brought to England, _viâ_ Marseilles, reached Norwich on August 14th, and underwent his preliminary examination before the magistrates on the 15th, on charges of forgery and embezzlement. After several remands he was committed for trial at the Norwich Assizes. At the Central Criminal Court, on November 25th, Fish was placed upon his trial, on the charge of stealing £39 2s., and of aiding and assisting Buttifant in the embezzlement, and was sentenced by Mr. Baron Pollock to sixteen calendar months’ imprisonment, with hard labour. (_See_ March 25th, 1875.)
July 6th 1874
The first prize-day was held at the resuscitated Grammar School at North Walsham. In 1606 Sir William Paston founded a free Grammar School in the town for forty boys, sons of inhabitants of the Hundreds of Tunstead, North Erpingham, Happing, and East and West Flegg. The school gradually decayed until only the head-master remained. In 1871 Mr. Robert Wortley called attention to the fact that the endowment was lying perfectly useless; an appeal was made to the Endowed School Commission to take action, and finally the Committee of Council on Education adapted a scheme for the management of the school. New governors were appointed, with Lord Suffield as president, the school house and master’s house were restored, and the Rev. F. R. Pentreath, formerly master of Retford Grammar School, appointed head-master. The school was re-opened in February, 1874.
July 8th 1874
The foundation-stone of the Baptist church in Unthank’s Road, Norwich, was laid by Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P. The building, which was designed by Mr. Edward Boardman, and was estimated to cost £5,000, was opened for public worship on July 8th, 1875.
July 11th 1874
During the week ending this date the 3rd Dragoon Guards marched from the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, _en route_ to York.
July 18th 1874
The 3rd Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp at Hunstanton Park, and were inspected on the 23rd by Colonel T. E. Knox, C.B.
July 21st 1874
The Norwich Town Council, at a special meeting, decided to comply with the order of the Home Secretary, directing them to build a new asylum for the reception of pauper lunatics; and a memorial was adopted praying the Public Works Loan Commissioners to grant the necessary loan at 3½ per cent., repayable in fifty years. (_See_ February 5th, 1875.)
July 24th 1874
At a meeting of the Church Missionary Society, held at Wymondham Vicarage, Mr. Edward Hutchinson, lay secretary of the society, presented to Jacob Wainwright, one of the Nassick boys in attendance upon Dr. Livingstone in his last journey, the bronze medal of the Royal Geographical Society. Wainwright, who addressed the meeting in very good English, described how they preserved the body of Livingstone and conveyed it to Zanzibar.
July 25th 1874
A new lifeboat, presented to the Royal Lifeboat Institution by Mrs. Boettefure, was launched at Brancaster. It was christened by Mrs. Simms Reeve, in the name of the Joseph and Mary.
July 27th 1874
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor, it was decided to establish a branch of the Girls’ Public Day School Company, and the Rev. W. Vincent was appointed local secretary.
July 27th 1874
A mulatto woman, known as Madame Angelo, was credited with completing the feat of walking, at the Hoppole Gardens, Norwich, one thousand miles in one thousand hours. “Although the greatest vigilance has been exercised,” says the report, “it has not yet transpired that she has ever failed to come to the scratch at the appointed times. During the last week she showed signs of flagging, her limbs swelling, and considerable difficulty was experienced in keeping her awake. It was announced that she would walk the last mile with her infant baby in her arms, but it was evident from her appearance that this would be too much for her, and her infant was handed to her when she had only four laps to walk.”
August 3rd 1874
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Keating, Frederick Sutton, formerly medical-officer of the Norwich Pauper Lunatic Asylum, and Emma Styggles, head female attendant, were charged with conspiring to cheat and defraud the Mayor, aldermen, and citizens of the sum of £3 10s. 6½d., in the month of January. Sutton was sentenced to one calendar month, and Styggles to seven days’ imprisonment.
August 5th 1874
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Keating, Frederick Wales, aged 21, a labourer, was charged with the wilful murder of Thomas Pettingill, at Raveningham, on July 16th. He was found guilty of manslaughter, and ordered to be kept in penal servitude for the term of his natural life.
August 7th 1874
Mr. J. R. Bulwer, Q.C., M.P., and Mr. William Graham, Crown Commissioners, opened an inquiry at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, into the circumstances of what was known as the Creak case (_q.v._ Vol. I., p. 485; Vol. II., p. 18). A special jury was empanelled. Miss Margaret Creak was an eccentric person, who died in 1850. It transpired at the trial of certain actions brought in 1866 by Mr. Kent, solicitor, that the deceased’s property in the parishes of St. Andrew and St. George Colegate had been purchased by Margaret Creak’s mother during her widowhood. Margaret Creak having died without leaving legal heirs, it was held that her property devolved upon the Crown, for a strange will made by her had been decided to be void and of no effect. Since her death the property had been held by different individuals, some of whom had exercised the rights and enjoyed the profits of landlord, whilst others had lived upon the property rent free. The Crown, on being informed of these facts, issued a Commission under the Great Seal to ascertain (1) what property Margaret Creak possessed at the time of her death, and (2) what had become of her brothers and sisters. The jury, on the 8th, found that Margaret Creak was seised of the fee simple of three lots of property; that she left no heir thereto; that the property was of the yearly value of £330 at the time of her death; and that as the property was holden of the Crown in common socage, it devolved to her Majesty, in virtue of her prerogative Royal. The jury further said that mesne profits amounting to £7,920 had accrued since the death of Margaret Creak, of which about £2,000 had been received by Jonathan Flowers, of Gressenhall, and various sums by other persons. The Commissioners thereupon seized the property into the hands of her Majesty, and ordered the inquisition to be returned to the Court of Chancery. (_See_ July 24th, 1876.)
August 11th 1874
The forty-second annual meeting of the British Medical Association commenced at Norwich, under the presidency of Sir William Fergusson, Bart., Serjeant Surgeon to the Queen. The President-elect was Dr. Edward Copeman. During the proceedings, which concluded on the 14th, addresses were delivered by Sir James Paget, Dr. Eade, Mr. Cadge, &c. A prominent feature of the visit was an exhibition at St. Andrew’s Hall of the works of deceased and living Norfolk and Suffolk artists. This remarkable collection included examples by Old Crome and his sons, Stannard, Stark, the Cotmans, Thirtle, Opie, Vincent, Colkett, and others. (_See_ December 9th.)
August 12th 1874
The 7th Hussars arrived at Norwich. The Duke of Connaught was an officer of the regiment, and his Royal Highness was welcomed by the citizens with great enthusiasm. At the south entrance to the Guildhall, Lieut.-Colonel Hale and the officers were received by the Mayor (Mr. S. Gurney Buxton), the Sheriff (Mr. A. R. Chamberlin), the Deputy-Mayor (Sir Samuel Bignold), the magistrates, and members of the Town Council. An adjournment was then made to the Council Chamber, where the loving cup was passed round, and the proceedings were concluded by the Duke of Connaught proposing the health of the Mayor.
August 17th 1874
A great Liberal demonstration was held at Whitlingham, at which addresses were delivered by Mr. J. J. Colman, M.P., Mr. Henry Birkbeck, Mr. J. H. Tillett, and other prominent local leaders of the party.
September 10th 1874
A terrible railway collision occurred at Thorpe. The mail train leaving Yarmouth at 8.46 p.m. was joined at Reedham by another train from Lowestoft. The combined train proceeded to Brundall, where, owing to the existence of only a single line, it had to wait until the arrival of the express train from Norwich to Yarmouth, or until permission should be given to the engine-driver to proceed. The accident was caused by the down express being allowed to leave Norwich while the mail train was permitted to come on from Brundall. The telegraphic message to Brundall, which had been written by Night-Inspector Alfred Cooper, but not signed, was sent through some mistake by the telegraph clerk, John Robson. A few minutes later the inspector, not knowing that the message had gone, allowed the down express to proceed. Hardly had he done so when the fatal error was discovered. A second message was immediately dispatched to Brundall to stop the mail, if possible, but the answer came back, “Mail gone,” and nothing remained but to make arrangements for dealing with the inevitable catastrophe. Both drivers had reason for putting on increased speed, believing, as they did, that each train was waiting for the other. The speed of the up mail, which consisted of thirteen carriages, was from thirty to thirty-five miles an hour, while the rate of the down express of fourteen carriages was from twenty to twenty-five miles. The trains met near Thorpe village, the impact producing a terrific crash which resembled a peal of thunder. The drivers and firemen of the locomotives were killed, eighteen passengers were killed on the spot, and about fifty were severely wounded, of whom five died in the course of a few days, making a total of twenty-five killed. The dead and dying were removed to Field’s boathouse and to the Tuns Inn, and the injured were taken to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. On the following morning the scene of the catastrophe was visited by many hundreds of persons, among whom was the Duke of Connaught, then stationed in Norwich with his regiment, the 7th Hussars. The City Coroner (Mr. E. S. Bignold) opened an inquest on the bodies of two persons who had died at Thorpe station, and, after formal evidence, adjourned the inquiry to the 25th, when the jury found that the accident was due to the negligence of Robson and Cooper, against whom they returned a verdict of manslaughter. The County Coroner (Mr. E. Press), on the 12th, held an inquest on the bodies lying at Thorpe, and adjourned the inquiry to the Shirehall. On October 5th the jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against Robson only. The Board of Trade inquiry commenced at the Guildhall, before Capt. Tyler, R.E., and Mr. Ravenhill, on September 21st, and on the 22nd was adjourned _sine die_. It was resumed on October 5th, and again adjourned. (_See_ February 23rd, 1875.)
September 15th 1874
Madame C. Nilsson, assisted by Madame Patey, Mr. E. Lloyd, Signor Foli, &c., gave a concert at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in aid of the endowment fund of the Jenny Lind Infirmary. A second concert was given on the 16th. Sir Julius Benedict conducted on both occasions. Madame Nilsson was presented with an address by the Mayor and Corporation, in acknowledgment of her valuable services to the institution.
September 17th 1874
The memorial stone of the Norwich Presbyterian church was laid by Mr. C. E. Lewis, M.P., and at a public meeting subsequently held at St. Andrew’s Hall an address was delivered by the Rev. Dr. Chalmers, of London. The estimated cost of the church was £3,600. It was designed by Mr. Edward Boardman, architect, of Norwich, and built by Mr. Samuel Hall. Efforts to establish a Presbyterian church in the city were made in 1866, when a “station” was opened and meetings for worship were held at the Lecture Hall in St. Andrew’s. A communion was formed, and in 1867 St. Peter’s Hall, Theatre Street, was purchased by the congregation. The church, which is built upon a site adjoining the hall, was opened for public worship on June 23rd, 1875, by the Rev. John Matheson, the Moderator, and the Rev. Dr. Fraser.
September 20th 1874
Three war vessels, the Northumberland, the Sultan, and the Monarch, forming part of the Channel Fleet, entered Yarmouth Roads, under the command of Rear-Admiral Hancock. On the 22nd the Mayor and Corporation gave a ball at the Town Hall, at which the officers were present. The vessels sailed for Spithead early on the morning of the 23rd.
September 20th 1874
Died, from injuries received in the Thorpe collision, Mr. Bransby Francis, surgeon, of Norwich, aged 59. Mr. Francis, who was a native of Bungay, was an excellent botanist and naturalist.
September 26th 1874
At a general meeting of the members of the Norfolk Cattle Plague Association, held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, it was agreed, “That this meeting recommend the presentation of a testimonial to the chairman, Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., out of the funds of the association, in acknowledgment of the great services rendered by him to the association.” It was also decided to present Mr. C. R. Gilman, secretary to the association, with a testimonial of the value of £50.
October 7th 1874
Died at Langley Park, Sir Thomas W. H. Proctor Beauchamp, Bart., in his 60th year. Educated at Eton, he entered the Royal Horse Guards in 1836, and in 1852 married the Hon. Catherine Esther Waldegrave, daughter of Admiral Lord Radstock. On the death of his father, Admiral Sir William Beauchamp Proctor, third baronet, he succeeded to the baronetcy in 1861. A Liberal in politics, Sir Thomas consented, at the request of the party, to contest the representation of the Eastern Division of the county in 1865, in conjunction with Colonel Coke, but was unsuccessful. Upon the commencement of the Volunteer movement, he gave it his active support, and was for some years Lieutenant-Colonel of the 2nd Administrative Battalion. He served the office of High Sheriff in 1869–70, and was a Deputy-Lieutenant and magistrate of the county. Sir Thomas was a warm supporter of local charities, and shortly before his death gave a donation of £1,000 to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Reginald William, who was born in 1853.
October 9th 1874
Died at Costessey Hall, the Hon. Francis Stafford Jerningham, aged 59. He was the youngest brother of Lord Stafford, and formerly an examiner in the Audit Office. For many years he took an active part in the management of the Costessey estate.
October 11th 1874
Died, Mr. Edward Freestone, solicitor, of Norwich. The youngest son of Mr. Anthony Freestone, he was born at South Elmham St. Margaret, and educated at Mr. Brewer’s school at Norwich. After serving his articles with Mr. Crabtree, at Halesworth, he was admitted an attorney and solicitor in 1825, and commenced practice in Norwich and Bungay, in partnership with Mr. J. C. Copeman. In politics Mr. Freestone was a Liberal, but systematically declined to take part in municipal affairs. He, however, held several important public appointments. The Freestone family lived and owned property at South Elmham for nearly 200 years. For three generations, ranging over the long period of 150 years, they hunted their own hounds. Mr. Freestone’s only sister married the celebrated botanist, Dr. Lindley and was mother to Mr. Lindley, Q.C., the eminent equity barrister.
October 16th 1874
An operetta, in two acts, by Mr. J. Arthur Harcourt, entitled, “The Science of Love,” was performed for the first time by a company of amateurs at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich.
October 20th 1874
The East Norfolk Railway, from Norwich to North Walsham, was opened for traffic. The line was constructed by Messrs. Lucas Bros., from plans by Mr. E. Wilson, C.E.
October 22nd 1874
Mr. W. H. Cooke, Q.C., Judge of the Norfolk County Court, resigned his appointment. He was succeeded by Mr. Edwin Plumer Price, Q.C., Recorder of York.
October 23rd 1874
Died at Chapel Field Road, Norwich, Mr. Henry Ninham, aged 82. He was the son of John Ninham, who, in 1792, at the request of Mr. William Stevenson, F.S.A., drew, with the assistance of the _camera obscura_, the ancient gates of Norwich, then about to be demolished. He succeeded to his father’s business as an heraldic painter and copper-plate printer, and was for many years employed by the principal coachbuilders of the city to paint armorial bearings on their patrons’ carnages. A few days prior to his death, he completed, for the Very Rev. Dr. Goulburn, a large painting of the arms of the Deans of Norwich. Mr. Ninham was a frequent contributor to the Norwich exhibitions, both in oil and water-colours, and made many careful and truthful delineations of picturesque old houses and churches in the city and its neighbourhood. A good etcher, he published (without letterpress) “Eight Etchings of Antiquities of Norwich,” including the Strangers’ Hall, Sir Benjamin Wrenche’s Court, &c.; and afterwards “Views of the Gates of Norwich,” from drawings made by Kirkpatrick about the year 1720. For private circulation only, he etched a series of small but spirited plates, principally views in Norwich and Norfolk. The illustrations of Bloom’s “Castle Acre,” and Grigor’s “Eastern Arboretum,” were also etched by him. The well-known works, “Remnants of Antiquity in Norwich,” and “Norwich Corporation Pageantry,” were illustrated in lithograph by Ninham from his own drawings. He was a large contributor of illustrations to “Norfolk Archæology” and other local antiquarian works.
October 24th 1874
Mr. Paynton Pigott, barrister-at-law, of the Oxford Circuit, and revising barrister of the Western Division of Staffordshire, a nephew of Mr. Baron Pigott, was admitted to the office of Deputy Chief Constable of Norfolk.
October 30th 1874
Died at his residence, Tombland, Norwich, Mr. Thomas Hancock, City Treasurer. Mr. Hancock, who made himself prominent by his efforts to revive the ancient office of City Chamberlain, took an active part in many public movements, and is said to have fallen a victim to over-work. Mr. Edwin Syder Steward was, on November 9th, elected to the vacant office of City Treasurer.
October 31st 1874
Died at Topcroft Rectory, the Rev. Edward Wilson, aged 75. Mr. Wilson, early in life, wrote “The Martyr of Carthage” in “Burns’s Englishman’s Library.” Soon afterwards, his mind, unhappily, became clouded, and his services were lost to the Church for over twenty years. When at length a surprising recovery restored him to his friends, he returned to the study of theology and the arts with a vigour and perseverance that would have been remarkable in a young man of unbroken health. In his youth Mr. Wilson was no mean poet, and his unpublished verses received the warm praise of Wordsworth. He had, too, the makings of a great painter, and some of his best efforts in colouring were executed only a few weeks before his death. Mr. Wilson was brother of Sir Archdale Wilson, Bart., of Delhi, and first cousin to Henry Wilson, Lord Berners, at whose decease the barony, one of the oldest in England, passed, through an heiress, into another name. The family was descended from Bourchier, Lord Berners, the translator of Froissart, and through him from Bourchier, the Earl of Essex and his wife, a granddaughter of Edward III.
November 6th 1874
Died at Lynn, Mr. F. Reynolds, formerly of Newton next Castleacre, at an advanced age, and in very reduced circumstances. “The deceased for many years was known by the sobriquet of ‘The Marquis,’ which was given him when he kept a pack of harriers at his own expense, and with which he had good sport. Once in pursuit of a stolen horse, for a neighbour, he drove one of his hunters, a bay blood horse, 100 miles in ten hours, only stopping once, namely, at Six Mile Bottom, near Newmarket, where he gave his horse some corn from his own bag, and fetched him water in his hat from a brook. One of his first, and, perhaps, best hunters, that he trained to such perfection, was a bay thoroughbred mare by Old Whisker, bred by Chifney, the celebrated jockey. She became a distinguished hunter with the Marham Staghounds. For Chip he gave but £8, and this horse was afterwards sold by Mr. Anderson for 500 guineas. Grey Tail, too, was sold by Mr. Taylor for 400 guineas, and Sweep, bought for £10, was sold by Mr. Percival for 300 guineas; whilst poor old Hawk struggled on with him in his decline, winning him a few pounds at country races by his indomitable pluck, and carrying him miles and miles when other people were at rest. Although Mr. Reynolds had his failings, no one could impeach his honour. He possessed such peculiar blandness, free from haughty and unkind feeling, that he was always regarded with something more than the common courtesy of life. He received, in his dying illness, the greatest attention from his old servant Peter, his former whip.”
November 7th 1874
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Sandringham, from Coventry, accompanied by Prince Albert Victor and Prince George, and by the Czarewitch of Russia, Prince Wolkonsky, Prince Bariatinsky, &c. It was on this occasion that the new railway-station erected at Wolferton was formally opened. On the 20th a grand county ball was given at Sandringham.
November 9th 1874
Mr. Edward Kerrison Harvey was elected Mayor, and Mr. John Youngs appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 18th 1874
Died in London, the Hon. George Sulyarde Stafford Jerningham, C.B., formerly Minister Plenipotentiary to the Court of Sweden, aged 69. He was third son of the eighth Lord Stafford, and was born February 17th, 1806. Mr. Jerningham was attached to the embassies at St. Petersburg and the Hague in 1826, was appointed an attaché at the Hague in 1832, and Secretary of Legation in 1833, and was _chargé d’affaires_ there until 1836, when he was sent as secretary of legation to Turin, where he was _chargé d’affaires_ in 1838. He subsequently filed similar offices at Madrid and Paris.
December 2nd 1874
Died at his residence, St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, Sir William Foster, Bart., aged 76. For half a century he had taken a prominent position in Norwich in all matters connected with its municipal and charitable institutions, and, as the head of one of the oldest legal firms in the city, was greatly esteemed in his professional career. Under the old Corporation he served the office of Sheriff in 1832, and in 1838 was created a baronet. Sir William was elected Mayor of Norwich in 1844. In politics he was a warm supporter of Liberal principles, and was for many years the recognised leader of the old Whig school in Norwich. He was succeeded by Capt. William Foster, formerly in the 11th Hussars.
December 6th 1874
Died at Golding Street, Heigham, Norwich, Mrs. Winifred Johnson, aged 101 years.
December 9th 1874
Died at 39, Chapel Street, Marylebone Road, London, Mr. Benjamin Bond Cabbell, F.R.S., F.S.A., of Cromer Hall, in his 94th year. Educated at Westminster and at Exeter College, Oxford, and called to the Bar in 1816, he was a Bencher of the Middle Temple, a justice of the peace and Deputy-Lieutenant for Middlesex and Norfolk, and Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons in the latter county. In 1846 he was returned to the House of Commons for St. Alban’s, and represented Boston from 1847 to 1857. On purchasing the Cromer Hall estate, Mr. Bond Cabbell became identified with Norfolk, presented to Cromer a fully-equipped lifeboat, and contributed largely to the restoration of the parish church.
December 9th 1874
A remarkable charge of cruelty to dogs was preferred at Norwich Police-court, against Dr. Eugene Magnan, of London, Mr. Haynes S. Robinson, Mr. John Ballard Pitt, Mr. Richard Wentworth White, and Mr. Horace Turner, well-known medical men residing in Norwich. It was alleged that on the occasion of the visit of the British Medical Association to Norwich, application was made by a committee of gentlemen that a certain experiment, namely, the injection of alcohol and absinthe into the veins and bloodvessels of dogs, should be made. Dr. Magnan performed the operation, and the other defendants took part. Among the witnesses called for the prosecution was Dr. Tuffnell, President of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland, who said the experiment was cruel because unnecessary, and similar evidence was given by Sir William Fergusson, Professor William Pritchard, R.C.V.S., Professor Varnell, R.C.V.S., Mr. G. Fleming, Examining Member of the Council of Veterinary Surgeons, and one of the editors of the “Veterinarian,” and others. For the defence it was denied that Dr. Magnan performed the experiment simply for the amusement of those present, and Dr. Beverley, Dr. Bateman, Dr. Eade, Dr. Copeman, Mr. Cadge, Mr. W. P. Nichols, Mr. G. W. W. Firth, Mr. Joseph Allen, and others were called to prove that the operation was justifiable. The magistrates dismissed the charges, but expressed the opinion that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals were justified in bringing the case.
December 10th 1874
Died at 7, Lowndes Street, London, Mr. Peter Frank O’Malley, Q.C., last surviving son of Mr. Charles O’Malley, of Castlebar, co. Mayo. Born in 1804, he was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated M.A. in 1828, and was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn in May, 1834. He married, in August, 1839, Emily, second daughter of Mr. William Rodwell, of Woodlands, Suffolk, sister of Mr. B. B. Hunter Rodwell, M.P., Q.C. In 1850 he was appointed Queen’s Counsel and made a Bencher of the Middle Temple. On the elevation of Mr. Serjeant Byles to the Bench, in 1858, Mr. O’Malley succeeded to the leadership of the Norfolk Circuit, and in the following year was appointed to the Recordership of Norwich. In politics he was a Conservative, and, as an advocate, was remarkable for his eloquence, earnestness, and zeal. Mr. O’Malley was succeeded as Recorder of Norwich by Mr. W. J. Metcalfe, Q.C.
December 15th 1874
The Duke of Connaught presented the prizes at Norwich Grammar School.
December 15th 1874
Died at Bracondale, Norwich, Mr. Samuel Jarrold, in his 69th year. Mr. Jarrold, who was head of the wall-known firm of publishers, was an ardent temperance reformer, and one of the earliest advocates of the cause in Norwich.
December 17th 1874
Died at his Norfolk seat, Elmham Hall, George John Milles, fourth Baron Sondes. The deceased nobleman had almost attained his 81st year. The second son of Lewis Thomas Watson, second Lord Sondes, by Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Milles, of North Elmham, he succeeded to the title on the death of his brother, in 1836. He was educated at Eton and at Christ Church, Oxford, and entered the Royal Horse Guards, in which regiment he served in the Peninsular War, and was present at the battle of Waterloo. In 1823 he married Eleanor, fifth daughter of Sir Edward Knatchbull, Bart., and in 1824, on succeeding to the Elmham estate, assumed the name of Milles in lieu of that of Watson. After his retirement from military service, he took great interest in agricultural pursuits, and was very successful in his efforts to improve the breeds of cattle and sheep. The Elmham herd of red polled cattle and flock of Southdowns attained universal reputation. His lordship was High Steward of Great Yarmouth, to which office he was elected in 1854.
December 26th 1874
The pantomime at Norwich Theatre was “Dick Whittington and his Wonderful Cat.” At the Prince Arthur Royal Circus, on Castle Meadow, the pantomime, “King Bombast, or Harlequin Reckless Ralph and his Lilliputian Army,” was produced.