January 2nd 1873
Died at his residence, Thorpe Hamlet, Norwich, Mr. Claude L. Nursey, artist, the painter of the well-known pictures illustrating scenes in the early days of the local Volunteer movement. He was a son of Mr. Perry Nursey, of Little Bealings, Suffolk, and was in his 54th year.
January 15th 1873
The Norwich Town Council received a letter from Whitehall, intimating that as Mr. Secretary Bruce had received no information that any steps had been taken by the Corporation for erecting a pauper lunatic asylum, he had instructed the Solicitor to the Treasury to proceed in the matter of the _mandamus_. (_See_ July 21st, 1874.)
January 21st 1873
The resignation of Mr. A. W. Morant, City Engineer, and the author of the first sewerage scheme, was received by the Norwich Town Council, on his appointment as engineer to the borough of Leeds. On March 25th Mr. Christopher Thwaites, C.E., of London, was appointed to the vacant post.
January 27th 1873
Died at Trinity College, Cambridge, the Rev. Adam Sedgwick, LL.D., aged 87, Woodwardian Professor of Geology. He came of a North country family, and was born at Dent, in Yorkshire. In due course he entered at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took his Bachelor’s degree in 1808, as fifth wrangler. In 1810 he was elected to a Fellowship in his College, of which at his death he was the senior member. He succeeded, in 1818, Professor Hailstone in the chair of Geology, founded at Cambridge by the celebrated Dr. John Woodward. Professor Sedgwick had been a Canon of Norwich Cathedral since 1834.
February 11th 1873
A Local Government Board inquiry was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, by Mr. R. Morgan, C.E., as to an application made by the Town Council to borrow the sum of £32,500, for the purchase of a portion of the Crown Point estate, for sewerage and irrigation purposes. The amount required for the purchase of the land was £27,500, for legal and other charges, £500, and the remainder was for erecting buildings, &c. The application was opposed by the Norwich Ratepayers’ Protection League. Another phase of the sewerage question occupied the attention of the Town Council at a special meeting on May 13th, when the City Engineer presented a report stating that serious defects existed in the low-level sewer, and part of the works had given way. It was resolved to borrow £20,000, at four per cent., on mortgage of the sewerage farm, as a permanent loan for ten years. On August 19th the City Engineer submitted to the Council three alternative plans for dealing with the difficulty—(1) By plating the sewer, at a cost of not less than £17,178; (2) by reconstruction, at a minimum cost of £25,000; and (3) of providing a new lining at not less than £33,000. Up to that time the total expenditure on the works amounted to £113,000. On October 21st the Council decided to consult Messrs. Hawkesley and Bazalgette, who, on December 16th, presented a report suggesting that certain remedial works be carried out at an approximate cost of £34,000. (_See_ January 20th, 1874.)
February 20th 1873
In consequence of the demand by agricultural labourers for increased wages, an important meeting of employers resident in the district of the Wayland Agricultural Association was held at Watton, under the presidency of Lord Walsingham, when resolutions were adopted whereby the meeting pledged itself to decline to recognise the system of compulsion exercised by the Labourers’ Union, and to refuse any demand for higher wages made by those who were members of the Union, “although willing to give favourable consideration to any request made in a proper manner whenever circumstances might be found to justify it.” It was further decided to invite co-operation from a larger area, and to form a society to be called the Wayland Farmers’ Defensive Association. Similar action was taken by employers in the North Walsham district, at Swaffham, and in the Blofield and Taverham Hundreds. (_See_ March 14th, 1874.)
March 25th 1873
The Sheriff of Norwich (Dr. Bateman) and the Mayor (Sir Samuel Bignold) attended at the Shirehall, on the conclusion of the Norfolk Assizes, when the former, addressing Mr. Baron Martin, presented his lordship with a pair of white kid gloves, in commemoration of the fact that for the first time in forty-three years the city of Norwich had had a maiden Assize. The Mayor corroborated the statement, and said that in that year, 1830, he happened to be Sheriff of the city. His lordship remarked it was extremely creditable that a city of 80,000 inhabitants should have no cases for trial at the Assizes.
March 29th 1873
Two meetings were held at Norwich, in furtherance of an effort to secure a visit of the Royal Agricultural Society to the city in 1874. The Norfolk Agricultural Association agreed to suspend its own show, and to vote £500 to the funds of the Royal; and a gathering of county and city gentlemen promised subscriptions to the amount of £1,100. The Mayor authorised the secretaries to guarantee the full amount required—£2,000.
March 29th 1873
A fire occurred at Mr. Darken’s music warehouse, Norwich, and damage was done to the amount of £1,500.
April 2nd 1873
The Docking Union Association, founded in 1839 for the purpose of promoting habits of industry and frugality and of rewarding good conduct amongst labourers, was dissolved, and the balance of £87 paid to the funds of hospitals in the county.
April 4th 1873
Died at Southtown, Great Yarmouth, aged 82, Commander George Jenner, R.N. He entered the Navy in 1806, and served on board the Milan; in 1810 he joined the Desiré, was at the taking of San Sebastian, and was awarded the medal for gallant service.
April 12th 1873
At the All England Champion Athletic meeting, held at Lillie Bridge Grounds, London, A. R. Upcher won the quarter-mile and H. K. Upcher the 120 yards hurdle race. “This makes seven championships won by Norfolk men, namely, the walking, in 1868, by W. Rye; the four miles, in 1870, by H. C. Riches; the quarter-mile, in 1870–71–73, by A. R. Upcher; the pole jump, in 1872, by H. C. Fellowes; and the hurdle-race, in 1873, by H. K. Upcher.”
April 14th 1873
The foundation-stone of the Norfolk County School was laid by the Prince of Wales. His Royal Highness, with whom was the Princess of Wales, left Wolferton station by special train, and was accompanied by the Bishop of Norwich, Lord and Lady Suffield, and Viscount Newry. At Holkham the Royal party was joined by the Earl of Leicester and Lady Anne Coke, and other members of the family. At Elmham station the Prince and Princess were received by Lord and Lady Sondes. A detachment of picked men of the 3rd Norfolk Rifle Volunteers, under the command of Captain Bulwer, formed a guard of honour at the entrance to the enclosure on the school site. After an address had been read to their Royal Highnesses by Prebendary Brereton, chairman of the Board of Directors, the Prince laid the stone, inscribed, “Albert. Edward, Prince of Wales, April 14, 1873.” The Lord Bishop offered prayer, and a hymn was sung, after which a large and distinguished company, presided over by the Earl of Leicester, partook of luncheon in a marquee. Their Royal Highnesses, after taking tea with Lord and Lady Sondes, at Elmham Hall, returned to Wolferton by special train. The school was opened on September 16th, 1874, when an inaugural luncheon was held, and an address delivered by the Right Hon. Earl Fortesque.
April 14th 1873
Mr. Henry Leslie’s Opera Bouffe Company commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. The pieces produced included “Lischen and Fritzchen,” “Genevieve de Brabant,” “The Princess of Trebizonde,” and “The Brigands.”
April 28th 1873
The headquarters of the 7th Dragoon Guards marched from Norwich for Manchester. On the regiment reaching the Market Place, the officers adjourned to the Royal Hotel, where the Mayor, on behalf of the traders of the city, presented to Colonel Peyton and the officers a massive silver cup and an illuminated address. The cup was filled with champagne, and the officers drank “Health end Prosperity to the City of Norwich.” At Costessey Park the regiment was entertained by Lord Stafford.
May 6th 1873
The depôt of the 51st Regiment, from Yarmouth, arrived at Norwich and took over the Cavalry Barracks.
May 24th 1873
The Queen’s birthday was observed at Norwich with the customary festivities. The event was further marked by the presentation to the Mayor and Sheriff of a set of official robes, purchased by public subscription.
May 26th 1873
A specially-organized company, under the management of Mr. Craven Robertson, performed the comedy of “Caste” at Norwich Theatre. “School” was also produced during the six nights’ engagement. On this occasion the favourite actress, Miss Fanny Addison, made her first appearance in Norwich, and Mr. J. F. Young was a member of the company.
May 30th 1873
A detachment of the Honourable Artillery Company, numbering 64 officers and men, arrived at Yarmouth by train, and on the 31st marched for Norwich. At Blofield the detachment was met by the band of the Norwich Artillery Volunteers, and at Brundall the men boarded the Alexandra steamer, by which they performed the remainder of the journey to Norwich. Headquarters were established at the Royal Hotel. On Sunday, June 1st, the Honourable Artillery Company and the Norwich Artillery Volunteers attended service at the Cathedral, and on June 2nd the Norwich corps accompanied the London men on their march to Wymondham. The London corps proceeded to Attleborough, where they took train for London.
June 9th 1873
Mr. and Mrs. Rousby commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre, in “Twixt Axe and Crown.” On subsequent evenings, “The School for Scandal,” “Romeo and Juliet,” and “Joan of Arc,” were produced.
June 19th 1873
The annual show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association commenced at Thetford. Mr. Angerstein presided at the members’ luncheon.
June 30th 1873
The Earl of Leicester was invested by the Queen with the Riband and Badge of the Garter. His lordship previously received the honour of knighthood.
July 10th 1873
Mr. J. L. Toole commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre, during which he appeared in a round of his favourite characters.
July 19th 1873
The 3rd Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp at Heacham Park, and on the 23rd were inspected by Colonel Knox, C.B., commanding the 31st Depôt.
July 21st 1873
A company, under the management of Captain Disney Roebuck (late Royal Welsh Fusiliers), commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. The repertory included “David Garrick,” “Society,” “The School for Scandal,” “East Lynne,” and the bouffe burlesque, “The Rows of Castille.”
July 21st 1873
Mr. David Fisher gave a dramatic reading at North Walsham. “Since the closing of the theatrical circuit under the management of the Fisher family, no member had visited it until Mr. David Fisher, now of the London theatres, and known to us first as a boy actor with his father and grandfather, came to read ‘The School for Scandal.’ Mr. David Fisher in London has carried out the promise of his early life, and in coming upon scenes of his boyhood finds those who tell him tales of former years, and pleasure no doubt arises on the other side from the opening up of old associations. We have spoken of Mr. Fisher’s reading—he does not read, he acts two-thirds of the whole play from memory; every character is given with perfect clearness. He visits all the towns where formerly theatres stood under the management of his family.” On this tour Mr. Fisher was accompanied by his daughter, Miss Mary Fisher, who displayed her musical abilities.
July 30th 1873
The valuable collection presented to the Norfolk and Norwich Museum by Mrs. E. P. Clarke, of Wymondham, was opened to the public. This collection was formed by Mr. Edward Lombe, of Great Melton, and set up by the first taxidermist of his day, the elder Leadbeater, of London. Regret was expressed at the absence of any memoranda of dates and localities. The British birds alone numbered 551 specimens, representing 280 distinct species.
July 30th 1873
The headquarters and six troops of the 3rd Dragoon Guards marched into Norwich, under the command of Colonel Conyers Tower, C.B.
July 30th 1873
A new iron bridge over the River Ouze, constructed in place of the wooden structure known as the Free Bridge, near Lynn, was formally opened by Mr. E. Fellowes, M.P., chairman of the Ouze Outfall Commissioners. It was designed by Messrs. Brunlees and McKerrow.
August 14th 1873
An extensive fire occurred at the engineering works of Messrs. Holmes and Sons, Cattle Market, Norwich. The damage was estimated at £10,000. Effective assistance was rendered to the fire brigade by three troops of the 3rd Dragoon Guards, and by members of the Norwich Rifle Volunteers.
August 18th 1873
Mr. Charles Wyndham’s company appeared at Norwich Theatre in the political and satirical burlesque, “The Happy Land.” The piece was interdicted by the Lord Chamberlain on its production at the Court Theatre, London, on account of its caricature of three Liberal Ministers—Mr. Gladstone, Mr. Lowe, and Mr. Ayrton. It was played at Norwich, it was announced, with the excised portions restored.
August 26th 1873
At Norwich Brewster Sessions, the licensed victuallers of the city applied for an alteration of the hours of closing, namely, an extension of the time from 11 to 12 on week-days, and from 10 to 11 o’clock on Sunday. A memorial in favour of the alteration, signed by 7,000 persons, was presented. The Dean of Norwich handed in a memorial containing 7,925 signatures against the alteration. The magistrates declined to alter the hours of closing.
August 2nd 1873
The marriage took place at Holkham of Lady Winifred Coke, fifth daughter of the Earl of Leicester, and Mr. Robert Clements, only son of the Hon. and Rev. Francis Nathaniel Clements, vicar of Norton, Durham, and heir to the Earldom of Leitrim.
August 11th 1873
The ceremony of laying the foundation-stone of the new Congregational chapel, built on the site of Cowper’s house, at East Dereham, was performed by Mr. Henry Wright, of Kensington. The building, which was erected by Mr. Hubbard, of Dereham, from designs by Mr. Edward Boardman, architect, Norwich, at the cost of £3,500, was intended for the accommodation of 500 worshippers. It was opened for public worship on September 24th, 1874.
August 12th 1873
Mr. Charles Durand’s English Opera Company appeared at Norwich Theatre, and on the 19th produced, for the first time in the city, Meyerbeer’s opera, “L’Africaine.”
August 19th 1873
Died at Caldecot, near Botley, Hampshire, Dr. Dalrymple, M.P. He was born in 1814, and was the fourth son of Mr. William Dalrymple, an eminent surgeon, of Norwich. He married a daughter of Mr. T. O. Springfield, on whose death he was placed in possession of an ample fortune. Dr. Dalrymple then relinquished his practice in favour of his partner, Mr. Cadge. In 1862 he made a tour through Egypt and Palestine, and on his return published a work on “The Climate of Egypt.” On the invitation of the Liberal electors of Bath, he, in 1868, contested the representation of that city, and was returned. His chief Parliamentary labours were most conspicuous in connection with his well-known Habitual Drunkards Bill, a measure which, while not in accordance with the spirit of English legislation, evinced that devotion to philanthropic objects which was the characteristic of Dr. Dalrymple’s life. He served the office of Sheriff of Norwich in 1860–61, was a director of the Norwich Union Fire Office, chairman of the Governors of King Edward VI. School, and at various times had taken part in the management of the local charitable and scientific institutions. Dr. Dalrymple was a magistrate and Deputy-lieutenant of the county.
August 21st 1873
Died at Ipswich, Mr. Henry Bright, the well-known artist. He was born at Saxmundham, in June, 1814, and, after serving his apprenticeship to a chemist and druggist at Woodbridge, removed to Norwich, where he acted as dispenser to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. An acquaintance with Crome, Cotman, the elder Ladbrooke, Stark, Vincent, and others of the Norwich School of Artists, stimulated him to work with his pencil. Proceeding to London, he devoted himself entirely to art, and, by teaching drawing and painting, realised nearly £2,000 a year from that branch of his profession. For splendid sky effects Bright is second only to Turner, and his crayon drawings are almost unequalled.
October 1st 1873
Miss E. Farren and Mr. Lionel Brough, supported by the London Gaiety Company, commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. The productions included, “A Nice Girl,” “The Rough Diamond,” “Good for Nothing,” “Stage Struck,” “Betty Martin,” “Lischen and Fritzchen,” &c. The company made a return visit on November 25th.
October 1st 1873
The Social Science Congress commenced its proceedings at Norwich, under the presidency of the Right Hon. Lord Houghton, D.C.L., F.R.S. The meetings terminated on the 8th.
October 13th 1873
The eighty-second birthday of Sir Samuel Bignold, Mayor of Norwich, was celebrated. The Cathedral choristers, under Dr. Buck, assembled in the garden of Sir Samuel’s residence in Surrey Street, at eight a.m., and sang “Lift up thine eyes” (Handel), “The Old English Gentleman,” and the _Nunc Dimittis_. The bells of St. Peter Mancroft were rung, the boys of the Grammar and Commercial Schools were granted a holiday, the inmates of the Boys’ Home and the Girls’ Home were entertained at St. Andrew’s Hall, and a feast was given to the paupers in the Workhouse.
October 20th 1873
Died at the Charterhouse, London, Mr. James S. Garthon, aged 74, formerly a surgeon in Norwich. He was the son of a farmer at Costessey, and was himself originally in business as a corn dealer. It was not until he was well advanced in life that he entered the medical profession. In addition to his private practice, he undertook the duties of surgeon to the Norwich police force. Mr. Garthon was a Liberal in politics.
October 23rd 1873
The Sheriff of Norwich (Dr. Bateman) delivered a lecture to the members of the Churchman’s Club, on “Darwinism tested by Scientific Researches in Language.” The Dean presided.
November 3rd 1873
The Prince of Wales passed through Thetford, on his way to Elveden Hall, to visit the Maharajah Duleep Singh.
November 10th 1873
Mr. Samuel Gurney Buxton was elected Mayor, and Mr. Alexander Robert Chamberlin appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 10th 1873
The Prince of Wales arrived at Merton Hall, on a visit to Lord Walsingham, and left on the 15th.
November 18th 1873
Died at Bournemouth, Mr. Thomas Baring, member of Parliament for Huntingdon. Mr. Baring, who was 73 years of age, was second son of Sir Thomas Baring, second baronet, nephew of the first Lord Ashburton, and brother of the first Lord Northbrooke. At the General Election in 1835 he successfully contested Great Yarmouth in the Conservative interest, but in 1837, 1838, and 1841 he was defeated. Elected for Huntingdon in 1844, without opposition, he held undisputed possession of the seat for nearly thirty years. Mr. Baring was head of the great house of Baring Brothers and Co. He twice refused the Chancellorship of the Exchequer, and twice declined the offer of a peerage.
December 2nd 1873
A meeting of the creditors of the Crown Bank was held at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, under the presidency of Sir Samuel Bignold, to receive an account of the receipts and payments of the trustee in bankruptcy to November 15th, and to consider the question of the remuneration of the Committee of Inspection. It was reported that the estate, under judicious management, had produced 11s. 6d. in the pound. The solicitors’ law costs amounted to upwards of £10,000, and it was decided that £8,000 be paid as remuneration.
December 15th 1873
The death took place, at Yarmouth, of Samuel Brock, aged 69, who, on October 6th, 1835, performed the remarkable feat of swimming fourteen miles after the wreck of the Young Company’s yawl Increase, of which he was one of the crew (_q.v._ Vol. I., p. 344).
December 23rd 1873
The first annual meeting of the Norwich Hospital Sunday Fund was held at the Guildhall, under the presidency of the Sheriff (Mr. A. R. Chamberlin). It was reported that the Sunday collection amounted to £670 8s. 11d., and the Saturday collection to £188 16s. 3d.
December 26th 1873
The pantomime of “The Babes in the Wood, or Harlequin Robin Hood and the Fairies of the Forest,” written by Mr. F. Robson, was produced at Norwich Theatre by Mr. Richard Younge’s company. “Jack the Giant Killer” was the Christmas attraction at Batty’s Circus.