January 4th 1872
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, held at the Shirehall, Norwich, the Earl of Kimberley moved an address to the Queen, conveying to her Majesty the assurance that the magistracy and all her loyal subjects in the county had felt the sincerest sympathy with her during the alarming illness of the Prince of Wales; and Lord Sondes moved a congratulatory address to his Royal Highness and the Princess of Wales. The clergy of the diocese, at a meeting held at the Palace on the 27th, adopted similar addresses. “Thanksgiving Day” was observed throughout the county on February 27th. At Norwich the principal business establishments were closed, and services held at the Cathedral, the parish churches, and other places of worship.
January 11th 1872
The centenary of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital was celebrated by an entertainment given at the institution.
January 22nd 1872
The Norwich, Costessey, and Taverham Tramway Scheme was considered by the Board of Trade, to whose satisfaction the promoters proved that the preliminary steps required under the Tramways Act, 1870, had been complied with.
January 22nd 1872
The Norfolk County School Association held its first meeting at the temporary school at Great Massingham, under the presidency of Sir Willoughby Jones. The Rev. J. L. Brereton reported that the Prince of Wales had become a patron of the school, and the sum of £5,920 had been subscribed by about seventy shareholders. At a meeting held at the Earl of Leicester’s, house in Grosvenor Square, London, on April 24th, it was decided to erect the school on Bintry Hill, near North Elmham. (_See_ April 14th, 1873.)
January 24th 1872
The Norwich Waterworks Company opened a second covered reservoir at Lakenham, and, in celebration of the event, luncheon was served within the works, under the presidency of the chairman of the company, Mr. H. S. Patteson. The reservoir was 128 feet in length and 120 feet in width.
February 7th 1872
Died at his residence, Notting Hill, London, the Right Rev. Samuel Hinds, D.D., formerly Bishop of Norwich. Born at Barbadoes in 1793, he came at an early age to England, and was educated at a private school at Ridland, near Bristol. He entered Balliol College, Oxford, but migrated to Queen’s, where he took Second Class Honours in Classics and the University Latin Essay. After ordination by the Bishop of London, he returned to Barbadoes as the first missionary to the negro population. Soon afterwards the headmastership of Codrington College fell vacant, and Dr. Hinds was appointed thereto by Bishop’ Howley. On returning to England, he held a small living in Hertfordshire, and the rectory of Castle Knock, near Dublin; in 1848 was appointed Dean of Carlisle, and in 1849, on the death of Bishop Stanley, he became Bishop of Norwich. On account of ill-health he resigned the See in 1857. Bishop Hinds was the author of “A Treatise on Logic,” “A History of the Rise and Early Progress of Christianity,” “An Inquiry into the Nature and Extent of Inspiration,” and “Sonnets and Sacred Poems.” “His beautiful hymn, to which Dr. Buck set such appropriate music, is familiar to every attendant at our Cathedral services.”
March 1st 1872
Died at Gateley, Mr. Money Griggs, in his one hundredth year.
March 9th 1872
“Under the provisions of Mr. Cardwell’s Army Organization Bill, Yarmouth has been selected as the headquarters of the _depôt_ of the 9th East Norfolk Regiment of Foot.”
March 11th 1872
Died, at 21, Taviton Street, Gordon Square, London, Emily Taylor, daughter of Mr. Samuel Taylor, of New Buckenham. She was born April 8th, 1795, and for nearly fifty years resided in Norfolk. At the age of five her singing was said to be wonderful; before seven years of age she had read the Iliad of Homer and made herself acquainted with many books of history. Among her writings were “Tales of the Saxons,” “Tales of the English,” “The Ball I live on,” “Poetical Illustrations,” &c. Her last work was “Contemporary Poets,” issued in 1868. Miss Taylor, who was a native of Banham, removed to London in 1858, and established the West Central Collegiate School, Southampton Road, Russell Square. Her remains were interred in Highgate Cemetery, on March 14th, near the resting-place of Miss Martineau.
March 14th 1872
Died at his residence in Duke Street, Norwich, very suddenly, aged 51, Mr. Henry Rudd, chorus master of the Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival. Mr. Rudd was originally a sawyer, but his taste for music was observed by Mr. Taylor, organist of St. John’s Roman Catholic chapel, from whom he received his musical education. For many years he was a member of the Choral Society and of other musical associations, held the situation of music master at the Diocesan Training Institution, and was instrumental in forming the Norwich Gatehouse Choir. On the resignation of Mr. J. F. Hill, he obtained the post of director of the Festival Choral Society. Mr. Rudd was succeeded as chorus master by Mr. James Harcourt.
March 20th 1872
Died at Northrepps Hall, aged 88, Hannah, widow of the first Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, whom she survived twenty-seven years. Lady Buxton was sister of the well-known philanthropist, Elizabeth Fry, and of Mr. John Joseph Gurney.
March 22nd 1872
Died at Burlingham Hall, Mr. Henry Negus Burroughes, aged 81. He succeeded to the family estates at an early age, and in 1815 served the office of High Sheriff. In 1837, in conjunction with Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, he successfully contested the representation of East Norfolk against Mr. W. H. Windham and Mr. R. H. Gurney, and he continued to represent the division until 1857, having meanwhile stood a second contest, in 1841, with Sir William ffolkes, and been twice re-elected, in 1847 and 1852, without opposition. In 1857, however, he and his colleague, Sir Henry Stracey, who had been elected in 1855, in the room of Mr. Wodehouse, declined to come forward again, the then popularity of their chief opponent, Major-General Windham, who had just returned triumphant from the Crimea, rendering success doubtful. Mr. Burroughes had taken an active part in the public business of the county.
March 23rd 1872
In the week ending this date there was a marked decline in the mortality from small-pox in Norwich. The largest number of deaths in any week was 37, and for several weeks the number was reported as 30.
March 30th 1872
Died at Coltishall, in his 80th year, Mr. Nathaniel Palmer, of the Inner Temple, barrister-at-law. By his death the Recordership of Yarmouth and the Judgeship of the Norwich Court of Record became vacant. The first-named office was filled by the appointment of Mr. Simms Reeve, and the latter by the election of Mr. Carlos Cooper. Mr. Palmer was one of the oldest of the Norwich magistrates, and for many years occupied a leading position in the Liberal party. Born in 1792, he was the son of Mr. Nathaniel Palmer, Government contractor for the Navy and distributor of stamps, and was articled to Mr. Worship, solicitor, of Yarmouth, in which borough he practised as an attorney, with considerable success. In 1827 he was called to the Bar by the Inner Temple. He married Rachael, only daughter of Mr. Thomas Hitchin, of Norwich, by whom he had five children. One of his sons was Mr. T. H. Palmer, registrar of the Norwich County Court.
April 1st 1872
Mr. Henry Leslie’s Opera Bouffe Company commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre, in “Princess of Trebizonde.”
April 13th 1872
The agricultural labourers’ agitation began in Norfolk with a meeting held at Old Buckenham. The movement was shortly afterwards taken up in earnest in many parts of the county. The principal object of its supporters was to obtain an increase in the rate of wages. (_See_ February 20th, 1873.)
April 22nd 1872
Died at Norwich, aged 50, Mr. Frederick Simpson, for many years City Treasurer. Mr. T. Hancock, a member of the Town Council, resigned his seat, and on May 3rd was elected to the vacant office.
May 1st 1872
The arbitration case, Coaks _v._ Tillett, was opened at the Shirehall, Norwich, before Sir Willoughby Jones, Bart. The inquiry had reference to a claim made by Mr. I. B. Coaks against Mr. J. H. Tillett, arising out of the winding-up of the affairs of the East of England Bank. An action was originally brought in the Court of Queen’s Bench, and was intended to have been heard at the previous Norwich Assizes, but by consent of both parties the matter in dispute was referred to the arbitration of Sir Willoughby Jones. Mr. Merewether appeared for Mr. Coaks, and Mr. Tillett conducted his own case. The amount claimed was £2,160, and the arbitrator, after an exhaustive inquiry was due consideration, awarded £1,881 4s. 5d.
May 8th 1872
In the Court of Queen’s Bench, the Attorney-General moved for a rule _nisi_ calling upon the Town Council of Norwich to show cause why a _mandamus_ should not issue directing them to build a new asylum for pauper lunatics. The question had been in abeyance since 1863, and various reasons were urged why the asylum should not be erected. The Court granted the rule _nisi_. On the 17th it was resolved, at a meeting of the Town Council, to write to the Secretary of State, pointing out that on April 17th a resolution was passed in the House of Commons affirming that occupiers in counties and boroughs should be relieved either in whole or in part of charges imposed for lunatics, the expenditure for such purpose being almost entirely independent of local control. The Home Secretary was asked whether he felt it imcumbent by compulsory measures to force upon the local rates of Norwich an expenditure estimated at between £40,000 and £50,000. On the 21st the Town Council sent a memorial to the House of Commons, asking them “to intervene for the protection of this municipality, or at least obtain a postponement of the threatened proceedings until Parliament shall have definitely settled by whom the cost of maintaining lunatics shall be permanently borne.” The Court of Queen’s Bench, on June 10th, made the rule absolute against the Corporation, and on June 18th the Corporation decided, by 33 votes to 7, to offer continued resistance to the _mandamus_. (_See_ January 15th, 1873.)
May 14th 1872
A meeting, presided over by Colonel Hugh FitzRoy, was held at the Town Hall, Aylsham, to discuss the feasibility of constructing a narrow gauge railway between Norwich and Aylsham, and thence to Aldborough and Beeston. Mr. Minshull, engineer, estimated the cost of construction at £5,000 per mile. The meeting was in favour of the scheme, and appointed a committee to consider details.
May 16th 1872
The first stone of Christ church, Eaton, was laid by the Mayor of Norwich (Mr. R. Chamberlin). The church was opened on November 4th, 1873, by the Bishop of Norwich. Mr. H. Bolingbroke gave the site; the architects were Mr. J. H. Brown and Mr. J. B. Pearce, and the contractors Mr. W. Wright and Mr. J. W. Lacey. “It is said that the bell fixed in the turret was formerly the sanctus bell at the Cathedral.”
May 20th 1872
The Queen’s birthday was celebrated at Norwich on this day (Whit-Monday). “It was a demonstration of regard towards the person of her Majesty and of joy that his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales had recovered from his illness.” The streets of the city were decorated, a military review took place on Mousehold, civic entertainments were given, and the festivities terminated with a display of fireworks on the Castle Meadow.
May 21st 1872
Captain Bates, the Kentucky Giant, and Chrissie-Millie, better known as the “Two-headed Nightingale,” appeared at the Lecture Hall, St. Andrew’s, Norwich. Of this mulatto girl it was said, “Chrissie and Millie are fairly educated, and sing either solos or duets with ease and effect.”
May 23rd 1872
Died at Naples, the Right Hon. Henry Lytton Earle Bulwer, Baron Dalling and Bulwer. Born in 1804, his lordship was the second son of General William Bulwer, of Heydon Hall and Wood Dalling, by Elizabeth Barbara Lytton, sole heiress and last descendant of the Lyttons of Knebworth in Hertfordshire. His career as a diplomatist is familiar to every student of history. His lordship was the author of “Historical Characters,” which appeared in two volumes in the winter of 1867, and rapidly ran into a sixth edition; and of a “Life of Lord Palmerston,” published in 1871. The remains of the deceased nobleman were interred at Heydon on June 25th.
May 27th 1872
A one hundred yards’ race took place on the West Winch Road, Lynn, between Thomas Akers and a horse belonging to Mr. W. L. Proctor. “Akers led off, the horse not starting directly the signal was given, but he had not proceeded far when he was overtaken by the animal and beaten by about ten yards.”
May 29th 1872
The tower of the church of Beeston-next-Mileham was struck by lightning. “The Litcham fire-engine was taken into the church, but the molten lead and burning timber fell so rapidly that nothing could be done, and the tower was entirely destroyed.”
May 29th 1872
A remarkable mirage was witnessed at Yarmouth. “The weather was exceedingly sultry, with heavy banks of clouds towards the east and south-east, just opposite Yarmouth, and extending from the Scroby to the Corton Sands there appeared a sharply-defined and magnificent outline of Gorleston and Corton cliff, with the entrance to the harbour and even the white sands. A stranger visiting the locality for the first time would have supposed that Yarmouth was embayed by a narrow peninsula.”
June 3rd 1872
Mr. G. B. Loveday’s Gaiety Operetta Company, under the direction of Mr. John Hollingshead, appeared at Norwich Theatre.
June 6th 1872
The Prince of Wales visited Yarmouth for the first time. His Royal Highness, accompanied by the Earl of Leicester, arrived at Southtown station, and was received by the Mayor (Mr. E. H. L. Preston), the members of the Corporation, and the Recorder (Mr. Simms Reeve), who read an address of welcome. The Militia Artillery and the Rifle Volunteers formed guards of honour, and the Royal carriage was escorted from the station to the Town Hall, by the 7th Dragoon Guards from Norwich, under the command of Colonel Peyton. After luncheon at the Town Hall, his Royal Highness proceeded to the newly-erected Grammar School, at the junction of Trafalgar Road and Apsley Road, and declared the buildings open; in the evening he dined at the Artillery mess and attended a performance in which Mr. Toole appeared, at the Regent Hall. On the 7th the Prince was present at a review of the Artillery Militia, of which he was honorary colonel, and on the 8th returned by special train to London.
June 10th 1872
Mr. J. L. Toole and Miss E. Farren appeared at Norwich Theatre on this and the succeeding evening in “Dearer than Life,” “The Steeplechase,” “The Weavers,” scenes from “Paul Pry,” and “Ici on parle Français.”
June 19th 1872
The show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association, of which the Prince of Wales was this year President, commenced at King’s Lynn, and was attended by his Royal Highness, who was accompanied by the Princess of Wales. The Prince presided at the luncheon, which, for the first time, took place in a marquee erected in the showground, and was attended by upwards of 900 guests. In addition to the Prince of Wales, the speakers at the gathering included the Earl of Leicester, the Bishop of Norwich, Lord Sondes, Lord Suffield, Admiral Sir Henry Keppel, the Hon. R. Bourke, M.P., Sir W. Bagge, M.P., Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., Mr. G. W. P. Bentinck, M.P., &c.
July 2nd 1872
Died at the Roman Catholic Presbytery, Willow Lane, Norwich, the Rev. Edmund Costello, S.J., aged 44. Father Costello had been in ill-health, and his death was accelerated by his devoted ministrations among the poor when the small-pox epidemic was at its height. He was a son of Mr. James Costello, of Eyre Square, Galway, was educated at the Irish College, Paris, at Maynooth, and at Stonyhurst, and entered upon the Norwich Roman Catholic Mission in 1868.
July 27th 1872
The 3rd Norfolk Rifle Volunteers (formerly the 1st Administrative Battalion), commanded by Lieut.-Colonel Duff, went into camp at Ketteringham Park. The North Walsham corps marched from that town to the camp, a distance of twenty-two miles. The 2nd Battalion, commanded by Lieut.-Colonel R. T. Gurdon, was brigaded with the 3rd Battalion. The camp was struck on August 2nd.
July 29th 1872
The sale of Crown Point and Whitlingham estate took place at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, by order of the Court of Chancery. Messrs. J. and J. Colman were the purchasers, at £55,700.
July 30th 1872
Sir Henry Stracey was presented, at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, by the Conservatives of the city, with a valuable piece of plate, as “a mark of their appreciation of his political conduct during the recent contests, and their admiration of his example as a straightforward English gentleman.” Lady Stracey received from the ladies of Norwich a diamond bracelet, and silver bouquet-holders were presented by working-men to the Misses Stracey.
August 5th 1872
The High Sheriff (Mr. Angerstein) was fined £50 by the Judge of Assize at Norwich. (Mr. Justice Keating), for non-attendance with his carriage at the Judge’s lodgings. His lordship had driven to the court in a cab, which he considered to be “a way not fitting her Majesty’s Judges.” The High Sheriff subsequently explained that a mistake had been made as to the time fixed for the sitting of the court, and having tendered an apology, the fine was remitted by his lordship.
August 5th 1872
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Byles, James Johnson, of North Walsham, sought to recover from Mr. W. H. Cooke, Q.C., Judge of the Norfolk County Court, damages for false imprisonment and assault. It was alleged that the defendant wrongfully imprisoned the plaintiff for thirty days; when the plaintiff left Norwich Castle he personally served the Judge, as he was leaving the court, with a notice of action for false imprisonment, and his Honour, mistaking the man’s intention, seized him by the collar, and a second time ordered his arrest. For the defendant it was alleged that he had acted within his jurisdiction. After two days’ trial the jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff, damages one farthing.
August 8th 1872
An alarming flood occurred at Walsingham. Owing to heavy rains, the stream in the vicinity overflowed its banks, and the low-lying part of the town was submerged. Forty women and children were rescued from the upper rooms of the cottages by means of ladders, and conveyed in boats to a place of safety. On the 9th a temporary dam was erected, which had the effect of diverting the flow of water. The village of East Barsham was also flooded, and the high road at West Barsham was under water.
August 10th 1872
At a meeting of the Norfolk Central Committee, held at the Shirehall, Norwich, it was reported that foot-and-mouth disease had spread to an alarming extent among cattle and sheep. On the motion of Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., it was ordered that markets for fat stock be held under the same restrictions that were in force during the time of the cattle plague, and that similar regulations should govern the movements of store stock as were then in force. In Norfolk alone during the previous five weeks the loss to stockowners from foot-and-mouth disease was estimated at £22,500, in respect of 10,000 cattle and 5,000 sheep. The committee sent a memorial to the Privy Council to prohibit the opening of all fairs and markets for the period of six weeks.
August 12th 1872
Died suddenly, at Hills Road, Cambridge, Mr. George Kett. He was born at Suton, near Wymondham, on June 26th, 1809, and commenced life in a small way of business as a wood carver at Wymondham. After copying poppyheads at Wymondham church, he undertook the carving of the seats for Ketteringham and Mulbarton churches. He then removed to Norwich, where he was engaged upon the restoration of the Cathedral stalls and canopies. Whilst he was working there Mr. James Rattee was placed under him as an apprentice, and the two afterwards became partners. Mr. Kett was next offered employment upon the works for the new Houses of Parliament. In 1845 he removed to London, where he was principally employed under the immediate direction of Sir Charles Barry, in supplying designs for the wood carving. Among other portions of the work on which he was specially engaged were the Royal Arms at the back of the Throne in the House of Lords. Mr. Rattee, in 1848, consulted him upon an estimate for the restoration of the choir of Ely Cathedral, and Mr. Kett agreed that if the tender were accepted he would remove to Cambridge and assist him in carrying it out. The business partnership thus commenced continued after Mr. Rattee’s death, in 1854, with his widow, under the style of Rattee and Kett. Mrs. Rattee died in 1866, when Mr. Kett assumed sole control of the establishment, and was largely engaged in the work of church restoration in all parts of the United Kingdom.
August 15th 1872
Died at Felbrigg Park, Mr. John Ketton, in his 61st year. Mr. Ketton was a native of Norwich, where for many years he was engaged in commercial pursuits. His success enabled him, when Mr. Windham’s affairs became embarrassed, to purchase the Felbrigg estate, where he resided until the period of his death.
August 15th 1872
Died at Reigate, Surrey, from the effects of injuries inflicted upon himself, Mr. Benjamin Land, better known as “Ben Land,” a sporting character of great celebrity in his day. Mr. Land began life as a Norfolk farmer, and gave great encouragement to steeple-chasing in the county, upon the introduction of that sport in the first half of the century. One of his earliest winning mounts was in 1836, a horse named Predictor. Then he owned a very useful nag called Neewood, and another, Lottery, an exceedingly clever animal over a country. Land made himself further known by his doings on Jim Crow, Faith, the Novice, Yellow Dwarf, Little Nell, Victoria, and Wonder, who could all run and jump a bit, and sad teasers they were to other Norfolk sportsmen. While still holding on his farm, Land hunted a pack of staghounds, but he gradually got out of business as an agriculturist, and took to riding and training as a profession.
August 17th 1872
The provisions of the new Licensing Act came into operation in Norwich. A notice had been issued by the Chief Constable that on Sunday, Christmas-day, and Good Friday, licensed houses were not to open before 12.30 at noon and to close at 2.30 in the afternoon; not to open again before six in the evening, and to close at ten o’clock. On week-days they were not to open until six in the morning, and to close at eleven o’clock at night. “This application of the Act came on the city suddenly and unexpectedly, the general opinion having prevailed that everything would go on as usual until the next annual licensing-day. In Union Place and King Street many people determined to have their own way as far as they could, and accordingly just before closing time they made a great demand upon the can accommodation of the houses. Large cans and small cans, when filled with beer, were borne off in triumphant defiance to the pavement outside, or to the men’s private gardens or houses, where friend and neighbour remained drinking, and, in some cases, singing, together long after the lights of the various public-houses had been extinguished. In two or three instances some ill-advised publicans persisted in keeping their houses open.” Several licensed victuallers were fined for infringing the regulations of the new Act, and in the early days of its operation the Norwich magistrates were very liberal in granting extensions of time on the occasion of the Christmas, Easter, and Whitsun holidays. At East Dereham the justices permitted the public-houses to remain open until twelve o’clock during four months of the year.
August 19th 1872
The first really notable journey upon a bicycle was performed by Percy Everett, of Ryburgh, a lad aged 16. He started at 4.45 a.m. from Ryburgh station, and rode to Newmarket, where he had breakfast; thence to Whittlesford, where he lunched; and at 5.30 p.m. he reached Ware, in Hertfordshire, having accomplished the distance of 110 miles in about 12½ hours. Everett rode one of the first of the rubber-tyred bicycles—a machine of Coventry make, known as the “Aeriel.”
August 20th 1872
Died, Mr. Edmund Harbord Lushington Preston, Mayor of Great Yarmouth. Mr. Preston was born in 1806, at the period when the Hon. E. Harbord (second son of the then Lord Suffield) and Mr. Stephen Lushington were returned to Parliament as members for Yarmouth—hence two of his Christian names. After the passing of the Municipal Reform Act, he was one of the first burgesses returned to the Town Council on Conservative principles, and, with the exception of a short period, from November, 1868, to November, 1869, he continued to be a member of the Corporation. Mr. Preston was for twenty years one of the magistrates of the borough, and a member of the Port and Haven Commission.
August 27th 1872
The Blake-Bignold incident occurred at the Norwich Police-court. Mr. Blake, on September 2nd, was charged with assaulting a publican, and fined, and, on his leaving the court, was followed by a mob, who endeavoured to overturn the cab in which he had taken refuge.
August 28th 1872
Lord Walsingham, while shooting on Blubberhouse Moor, Yorkshire, killed with his own gun 842 head of grouse, between the hours of 5.30 a.m. and 3 p.m. The birds were driven, and before one o’clock 550 had been bagged.
August 29th 1872
A portion of the Reserve Squadron, consisting of nine ironclad war vessels, under the command of Admiral Randolph, entered Yarmouth Roads, and sailed on the 30th for the Nore. The officers and men numbered 4,500.
August 29th 1872
A 300 yards swimming match took place at Thorpe, between John Morris, ex-champion of England, and “Victor Natator, the champion under-water performer,” for £10 a side. “Natator” received ten yards’ start, and, after an exciting race, was beaten by three yards.
September 2nd 1872
Died at Slough, Buckinghamshire, aged 95 years, Mrs. Anne Rigby, widow of Dr. Rigby, of Norwich, whom she survived 51 years.
September 5th 1872
The Norwich Board of Guardians, after a long and acrimonious discussion, agreed, on the motion of the Rev. A. C. Copeman, seconded by Dr. Bateman, to accede to the request of Professor Humphrey, of Cambridge, that he be supplied, for the purposes of dissection, with the unclaimed bodies of persons who died in the Workhouse. At a meeting on October 3rd an attempt was made to rescind the resolution, which, however, was confirmed by 16 votes against 12. On December 12th a third debate resulted in the rescission of the original motion by one vote.
September 9th 1872
The first election in the Eastern Counties under the new Ballot Act took place at Great Yarmouth, when a councillor was returned to fill in the Town Council the vacancy occasioned by the death of Mr. Preston.
September 10th 1872
Lord Walsingham was presented by his Merton tenantry with an address of welcome upon his return after a prolonged visit to America.
September 16th 1872
Norwich Theatre was opened for the winter season, under the management of Mr. G. H. Chaplin. “It has been our lot to witness some very indifferent acting upon the Norwich boards, but we never remember having seen a whole company (with the exception of Mr. Chaplin) so thoroughly destitute of histrionic talent, or so wretchedly poor in the dresses whereby to represent the characters.”
September 16th 1872
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced with an evening performance of the “Festival Te Deum” (composed in celebration of the recovery of the Prince of Wales) and of “The Creation.” The morning performance on the 18th was “Elijah,” on the 19th “St. Peter” (first time of performance in Norwich); and on the 20th “The Messiah.” On the evening of the 17th a grand ballad concert took place, and on the 18th and 19th miscellaneous concerts. The principal vocalists were Mdlle. Tietjens, Mdlle. Florence Lancia, Mdlle. Albani, Madame Patey, Madame Trebelli-Bettini, Mr. W. H. Cummings, Mr. Edward Lloyd, Mr. Kerr Gedge, Mr. J. G. Patey, and Mr. Santley. Sir Julius Benedict conducted. The Festival ball was held on the night of the 20th.
September 25th 1872
Great rejoicings took place at Gunthorpe, in celebration of the return of Mr. and Mrs. E. Bowyer Sparke, from their wedding tour. The squire was presented by the tenantry with an illuminated address.
September 27th 1872
Died, Mr. John Longe, of Spixworth Park. He was the second son of the Rev. John Longe, vicar of Coddenham, Suffolk. Educated at Norwich Grammar School, under Valpy, and subsequently at Cambridge, he succeeded to the estate in 1828, on the death of the widow of his cousin, Mr. Francis Longe, who was High Sheriff in 1786. He married, in 1829, Caroline Elizabeth, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Lieut.-Colonel Warnford, of Warnford Place, Wilts., and niece of Henry, fourth Viscount Ashbrook. As a Valpeian, Mr. Longe always took the greatest interest in the success of the Norwich Grammar School, of which he was a governor. He was a Deputy-Lieutenant of the county, and for some years captain in the East Norfolk Militia, and was succeeded in his estates by his brother, the Rev. Robert Longe, vicar of Coddenham, who was born in 1800.
September 27th 1872
A heavy gale prevailed off the East coast, and many shipping casualties were reported.
September 28th 1872
Died at his seat, Melton Constable, the Right Hon. and Rev. Delaval Loftus, ninth Baron Hastings, in his 48th year. His lordship had been summoned from Wiesbaden, in consequence of the alarming illness of Lady Hastings. He was at the time recovering from a severe attack of gout, and little fitted to undertake a long journey. On reaching Melton Constable he was seized with an illness which proved fatal. Lord Hastings was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, and, on taking holy orders, was appointed to the family living of Foulsham, and subsequently to that of East Barsham and Little Snoring. He married, in 1848, the Hon. Frances Diana Manners Sutton, daughter of the first Viscount Canterbury, by whom he left three sons and a daughter, and succeeded to the title and estates on the death of his brother, in March, 1871. His successor was the Hon. Bernan Edward Delaval Astley, who was born in 1855, and was, at the time of his father’s death, completing his term at Eton.
October 1st 1872
The Norwich Town Council decided to purchase, for sewerage and irrigation purposes, a portion of the Crown Point estate, for £27,000. (_See_ February 11th, 1873.)
October 1st 1872
Died at his residence, Cambridge House, Westling-on-Trym, Bristol, in his 77th year, the Rev. William Charles Wollaston, for upwards of thirty years rector of East Dereham. “Mr. Wollaston was the thirty-seventh and last of the sinecure rectors of Dereham, and the exceptional custom of tolling the muffled bell, which had long been held in this parish when any of its rectors or vicars died, was observed.”
October 14th 1872
The ceremony of laying the first rail of the East Suffolk Tramway was performed at Yarmouth by Sir E. H. K. Lacon, M.P. for North Norfolk. As originally planned, the tramway was to extend from Southtown Railway station to Gorleston, and thence to Lowestoft and Southwold, and eventually to form a junction with Halesworth. On March 22nd, 1873, it was announced: “From present appearances, it would seem that the East Suffolk Tramway scheme has been abandoned. The works have been wholly stopped for months past, and the Southtown Road has been restored to its former state.” (_See_ April 1st, 1875.)
October 19th 1872
At a meeting of the Governors of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, the thanks of the Board were accorded to Mr. William Peter Nichols “for his able, humane, and successful services as surgeon to the charity during the last 21 years, and for the active and zealous part he has taken during the same period in promoting the general interests of the Hospital.” Mr. Nichols afterwards became honorary consulting surgeon to the institution, and on March 22nd, 1873, was presented by public subscription with a valuable, silver centrepiece, in recognition of his eminent services. Mr. T. W. Crosse was elected to the office rendered vacant by the resignation of Mr. Nichols.
October 23rd 1872
The second Diocesan Conference was held at Noverre’s Rooms, Norwich, and was continued on the 24th, whereby the meeting in the Fakenham district was dispensed with. The remaining meetings were held at Lynn on the 25th, Ipswich on the 30th, and Halesworth on the 31st.
October 28th 1872
The ceremony of opening the first school built by the Norwich School Board—the Mariners’ Lane School—was performed by the Rev. Canon Heaviside, chairman of the Board. It was intended for the accommodation of 125 boys.
October 31st 1872
Died at Costessey, where he laboured as a Roman Catholic priest for more than fifty years, the Very Rev. Frederick Charles Husenbeth, D.D., President of the Brotherhood, Provost of the Chapter of Northampton, and Vicar-General of the Roman Catholic Diocese. Dr. Husenbeth, who was in his 77th year, was a frequent contributor to “Notes and Queries,” and was the author of many works, the best known of which was “Emblems of the Saints.”
November 1st 1872
The municipal elections were, for the first time, conducted under the provisions of the Ballot Act. At Norwich, where fourteen out of a possible sixteen Conservative candidates were returned, the elections were rendered noteworthy by all the members of the firm of Messrs. Bullard and Sons intimating that in future it was their intention to adopt Conservative principles.
November 4th 1872
The Prince and Princess of Wales passed through Thetford, on their way to Elveden, on a visit to the Maharajah Duleep Singh, and were received with great enthusiasm by the inhabitants of the borough.
November 4th 1872
Mr. George Grossmith, “of the Temple, London,” made the first of his visits to Norwich, and appeared at Noverre’s Rooms in an entertainment entitled, “The Comic Side of Life.”
November 9th 1872
Sir Samuel Bignold was, for the fourth time, elected Mayor of Norwich; Dr. Frederic Bateman was appointed Sheriff.
November 10th 1872
Hospital Sunday was, for the first time, observed in Norwich. The amount collected was £454 6s., 3d.
November 14th 1872
The new schools of St. Philip, Heigham, Norwich, completed through the munificent donation of Mr. James Harford and his late sister, and the voluntary efforts of the friends of Church of England education, at the cost of £2,000, were opened by the Bishop of Norwich. The architect was Mr. Edward Power, of London, and the builder Mr. James Youngs.
November 18th 1872
Died, in his 60th year, Mr. Henry Kett Kett-Tompson, of Brooke House and Witchingham Hall. He was the last representative of an old Norwich family, whose connection with the city dated back more than three centuries, and who during nearly two centuries were extensive brewers in King Street. Messrs. Morgan, in 1846, purchased the business of Mr. Kett-Tompson and his brother, their landed property in the county rendering it unnecessary for them to continue the brewery. Mr. Kett-Tompson was one of two sons of Mr. Charles Tompson (High Sheriff in 1827), by Juliana, second daughter of Thomas Kett, of Seething Hall, and sister and co-heiress of George Samuel Kett, of Brooke House. His grandfather was Timothy Tompson, formerly of Denton, and afterwards of Witchingham Hall. He was born in 1813, and married, in February, 1843, Margaret Amelia, second daughter of Rear-Admiral the Hon. Frederick Paul Irby, C.B., of Boyland Hall, and second son of the second Lord Boston. The name of Mr. Kett-Tompson stood first upon the list of gentlemen to fill the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1873.
November 19th 1872
Died, Elizabeth Harvey, widow of James Harvey, of Rollesby, in her 102nd year.
November 20th 1872
A heavy gale occurred. Several vessels were lost off Yarmouth, and a ship wrecked at Wells.
November 21st 1872
A grand fancy dress ball, attended by representatives of the principal families in Norfolk, was held at Hillington Hall, in celebration of the twenty-fifth birthday of Sir William ffolkes, Bart.
November 24th 1872
Died at his residence, Heigham Grove, Norwich, aged 73, Major-General Burton Daveney, formerly of the Royal Scots Regiment. He was born at Colton, in December, 1799, and obtained his commission as ensign in the 57th Regiment. In 1825 he went to Australia as lieutenant in command of a detachment which had charge of nearly 200 convicts. On the voyage small-pox broke out, and the vessel was placed in quarantine. The young lieutenant throughout a period of the greatest difficulty discharged his duties with conspicuous success. In 1830 he exchanged into the 1st Royals (afterwards the Royal Scots), and served in one or other of the battalions of that regiment for thirty-one years. He passed through the Canadian Rebellion in 1837, was present at the affairs of St. Charles and St. Eustache, and returned to England in 1841. In the Crimea, as commandant at Balaclava, his duties were so arduous that when he left, completely broken down in health, in January, 1855, the work was divided among three officers. In the absence of the colonel he brought the regiment to Aldershot, and afterwards had the honour of dining with her Majesty, to whom he was presented by the Prince Consort. He next sailed to India, and assisted in quelling the Mutiny, and returned in 1862, when he retired on full pay, with the rank of Major-General. He had seen forty-one years of active service without passing a single day on half-pay. General Daveney was the possessor of three clasps for the Crimea, the Order of the Medjidié, and several other decorations presented by the Sultan to British officers who had served in the war against Russia.
December 8th 1872
A fearful storm swept over East Anglia. At Norwich and other towns in the county great damage was done to buildings; in the country trees were uprooted and stacks overturned; and on the coast there were many shipping casualties.
December 21st 1872
Mr. James Bacon was elected secretary of the Norfolk Agricultural Association, in place of Mr. Cross, resigned. Mr. E. C. Bailey resigned the office of honorary director.
December 21st 1872
A conference was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which representatives of the sanitary authorities in city and county discussed the best method of carrying out the provisions of the new Public Health Act, more particularly as to the appointment of medical-officers of health and inspectors of nuisances. It was suggested that the county be divided into seven districts, exclusive of the city of Norwich; that a medical-officer of health be appointed to each district, the election to be made by representatives of the sanitary authorities; and that a similar course be adopted in regard to inspectors of nuisances. Mr. T. W. Crosse, on January 23rd, 1873, resigned his seat in the Norwich Town Council as a representative of the First Ward, and was appointed Medical-Officer of Health for the city, at the salary of £200 per annum.
December 26th 1872
A pantomime (titled not stated) was produced at Norwich Theatre by Mr. G. H. Chaplin. “The transformation scene,” it was stated, “has not been surpassed for gorgeous beauty on our stage.” Edmonds’ (late Wombwell’s) Menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Meadow.
December 30th 1872
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Holkham, on a visit to the Earl of Leicester.
December 31st 1872
Colonel Peyton and officers of the 7th Dragoon Guards gave a grand invitation ball at the Crown Bank building, Norwich. It was attended by many of the leading families of the county.