January 5th 1871
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, a memorial was received from the Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, affirming the necessity of the revision and re-adjustment of the existing mode of assessment, and of inducing the Government to contribute more largely to the rates levied under the authority of Courts of Quarter Sessions. Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., moved, “That, inasmuch as many of the charges at present paid by county rates, such as police, lunatic asylums, military stores, coroners, gaols, &c., are rendered necessary not for the benefit of any particular class or locality, but of the community at large, it is both just and politic that those charges should be much more liberally supplemented from the National Exchequer, and that a petition from Quarter Sessions be presented to the House of Commons to this effect.” The resolution was seconded by Mr. Dalrymple, M.P., and agreed to.
January 5th 1871
The trial of the election petition presented by Mr. Gardiner C. Stevens against the return of Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett, as one of the members of Parliament for Norwich, commenced at the Shirehall, Norwich, before Mr. Justice Keating. Mr. O’Malley, Q.C., and Mr. Griffits were counsel for the petitioner, and Mr. Rodwell, Q.C., Mr. Serjeant Ballantine, and Mr. Simms Reeve for the respondent. The case for the petitioner closed on the 6th, and on the 7th Mr. Rodwell commenced his address on behalf of the respondent. On the 10th Mr. Serjeant Ballantine summed up the respondent’s case, and on the same day Mr. O’Malley replied. His lordship gave judgment on the 11th, declaring the election void, and stated that he should report to the House of Commons “the names of everyone engaged with this shameful and disgraceful bribery.” (_See_ February 20th.)
January 18th 1871
Died, in his 93rd year, at Alexandra Road, Norwich, Christopher Bunting. “He was present at the capture of the French ship Généreux, whose ensign now hangs in St. Andrew’s Hall. In his early days he was a steward in the Royal Navy, and not only saw the ensign strike to the Foudroyant, but on the quarterdeck of that vessel saw it packed and addressed to Robert Harvey, Esq., then (1800) Mayor of Norwich, little imagining that he would subsequently reside in Norwich, and for more than half a century have the opportunity of seeing the flag decorating the walls of its principal building.”
January 24th 1871
Died, suddenly, at 2, Rectory Grove, Clapham, Mr. Henry Harrod, F.S.A., aged 53. Mr. Harrod was a native of Aylsham, and commenced practice as a solicitor, at Norwich, where he resided some years. He was best known for his devotion to antiquarian pursuits and by his contributions to the Transactions of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, of which he was an honorary secretary, in conjunction with Mr. R. G. P. Minty. His principal work was “Gleanings from the Castles and Convents of Norfolk.” Possessed of remarkable skill in deciphering old documents, his services in this respect were taken advantage of by the Corporations of Norwich, Lynn, and other boroughs, whose ancient records he undertook to arrange. Mr. Harrod was local secretary of the Society of Antiquaries, of which he was a Fellow, and of the Archæological Institute, and a corresponding member of the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
January 27th 1871
A new reservoir constructed by the Norwich Waterworks Company at Lakenham, from designs by Mr. Thomas Hawkesley, C.E., of London, engineer in chief to the company, was opened. It cost between £6,000 and £7,000, and was of 1,400,000 gallons capacity.
February 4th 1871
Died at Cambridge, Mr. Robert Steward, of Yarmouth. He served the office of Mayor of Yarmouth for four consecutive years, namely, from 1858 to 1861. In addition to being a borough magistrate, he was upon the Commission of the Peace for the county of Norfolk.
February 6th 1871
A new type of traction engine (Thompson’s patent) was tested in the streets of Thetford by Messrs. Burrell, of the St. Nicholas Ironworks. “The peculiarities of the engine consist of its wheels, three in number, being fitted with a length of indiarubber, six inches thick and twelve inches wide, covered with steel and kept on the wheels by endless chains. The great use of these indiarubber tyres is to give elasticity.”
February 8th 1871
Mr. George William Perrepoint Bentinck, of Davies Street, Berkeley Square, London, was, at Swaffham, returned unopposed to fill the vacancy caused in the representation of West Norfolk by the elevation to the Peerage of the Hon. Thomas de Grey.
February 10th 1871
A storm of great violence swept over the Eastern coast, and strewed the shores from Yarmouth to the Humber with wrecks and drifting spars. “Off Yarmouth vessel after vessel went down bodily with all hands, and left no clue as to their names or of the ports to which they belonged.” Six Lynn vessels were lost in the Deeps. On this day large flocks of wild geese and swans, with mallards and widgeon, were seen in the neighbourhood of Yarmouth, and the stormy petrel was observed.
February 20th 1871
The nomination of candidates to fill the vacancy caused in the representation of Norwich by the unseating of Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett for bribery took place at the Guildhall. Sir Charles Legard, of Ganton, Yorkshire, was the Conservative, and Mr. J. J. Colman, of Carrow House, Norwich, the Liberal candidate. The show of hands was in favour of the latter, and a poll was demanded by Sir Samuel Bignold, on behalf of the Conservative nominee. The election took place on the 21st, with the following result: Colman, 4,637; Legard, 3,389.
February 28th 1871
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, a report was received from a special committee appointed on January 17th to consider the question of the necessity of a School Board for the city. The committee stated that after communication with the Education Department of the Privy Council, they considered the appointment of a School Board for the corporate district to be inevitable. Mr. Tillett moved the adoption of the report, which was seconded by Mr. Youngs. Mr. Priest moved, and Dr. Copeman seconded, a resolution—“That, in the opinion of the Council, a School Board is not at present desirable, and that they see no sufficient reason why it should be inevitable.” Mr. Tillett’s motion was carried, by 29 votes to 5. (_See_ April 12th.)
February 28th 1871
The Norwich Town Council authorised the Sewerage and Irrigation Committee to borrow a further sum of £10,000 for the completion of the drainage works. On April 17th the works were used for the first time for delivering sewage upon the land at Kirby Bedon.
March 3rd 1871
The foundation-stone of the new passenger station for the Great Eastern, the Midland, and the Great Northern Railways, at King’s Lynn, was laid by the Mayor (Mr. E. E. Durrant).
March 8th 1871
Died at his Norfolk seat, Melton Constable, Jacob Henry Delaval Astley, twenty-third Baron Hastings. His lordship, who was in his 49th year, succeeded his father in 1859. He married, in 1848, the Hon. Frances Diana Manners Sutton, daughter of Viscount Canterbury. He took no part in public affairs, but he was much esteemed for his amiable disposition, and deservedly popular in the county for the spirited manner in which he promoted field sports, and for his courteous bearing as a Master of Foxhounds. Having no issue, his lordship was succeeded by his brother, the Hon. and Rev. Delaval Loftus Astley, of East Barsham.
March 9th 1871
At Norwich Police Court, Richard Hoskins, a clerk in the employment of the National Provincial Bank of England, was charged with feloniously stealing divers sums, amounting altogether to £1,835, the moneys of his employers. The magistrates consented to deal with the case summarily, and, on the prisoner pleading guilty, he was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment, with hard labour.
March 10th 1871
Mr. Henry Haigh’s Opera Company, with Madame Haigh-Dyer as _prima donna_, opened the Easter season at Norwich Theatre with a performance of “The Grand Duchess.”
March 15th 1871
Died at his residence, St. Andrew’s, Norwich, Mr. James Newbegin, aged 51. He was Chairman of the Norwich Board of Guardians, and was possessed of considerable scientific attainments. Mr. Edward Field was elected to the chairmanship of the Board on April 17th.
March 21st 1871
The marriage of Princess Louise was celebrated at Norwich by the ringing of bells and by the partial decoration of the city. The Town Council, at a special meeting, adopted a congratulatory address for presentation to the Queen, and in the evening the Scottish residents in the city held a banquet at the Norfolk Hotel. “Although a number of their English friends were invited to join it, the gentlemen from North of the Tweed assembled in sufficiently preponderating numbers to give a distinctive character to the gathering, and the whole of the arrangements were carried out by a committee of Scotchmen.” The “Number Twenty-Four” Club also dined at the same hotel, and the event was similarly celebrated at Yarmouth, Lynn, and Thetford.
March 26th 1871
Died at Morningthorpe, Mr. Edward Howes, member of Parliament for South Norfolk. Born July 7th, 1813, he was the eldest surviving son of the Rev. George Howes, rector of Spixworth, his mother being a daughter of Mr. Robert Fellowes, of Shotesham Park. From St. Paul’s School he proceeded to Cambridge, and came out high in the list of Wranglers of his year (1835); in 1836 he was elected a Fellow of his College (Trinity), and three years after was called to the Bar. In 1859 Mr. Howes was returned without opposition for the Eastern Division of the county, in conjunction with Colonel Coke, and in 1865 he was again elected, with Mr. Clare Sewell Read as his colleague. In 1868, when the county was subdivided, Mr. Howes and Mr. Read selected the Southern Division, and were again returned. Mr. Howes was appointed Chancellor of the Diocese on the death of Mr. Chancellor Evans; he was a Chairman of Norfolk Quarter Sessions, and one of her Majesty’s Ecclesiastical Commissioners. He married first, in 1842, Agnes Maria, daughter of Mr. Richard Gwyn, who died in 1843; and secondly, in 1851, his cousin, the fourth daughter of Mr. R. Fellowes, deceased, by whom he left a son and a daughter.
April 1st 1871
Died, in his 88th year, Mr. George Samuel Kett, of Brooke House. He served the office of High Sheriff in 1820, and was a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant of the county.
April 4th 1871
Died, suddenly, while on a visit to Norwich, Mr. G. Middleton, of Wimbledon. Mr. Middleton, who was a magistrate of the city, served the office of Mayor in 1859.
April 11th 1871
The dedication-stone of a new church at Harleston was laid by Mr. Sancroft Holmes. The building was designed to accommodate 400 persons, and the contract amounted to £3,150, exclusive of fittings. Mr. Phipson was the architect, and Mr. Grimwood, of Weybread, the contractor.
April 11th 1871
The nomination of candidates to fill the vacancy in the Southern Division of the county, occasioned by the death of Mr. Howes, took place at the Shirehall, Norwich. Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Conservative, and Mr. Robert Thornhagh Gurdon, Liberal, were nominated. The polling took place on the 14th, and resulted in the return of the Conservative candidate. The official declaration was made at the Shirehall on the 17th, as follows: Buxton, 2,868; Gurdon, 2,547.
April 12th 1871
The first School Board election took place at Norwich. “There was a total absence of excitement, and not much interest was shown.” The following candidates were elected:—Mr. J. H. Tillett, Mr. H. Morgan, Mr. H. Birkbeck, Mr. J. W. Dowson. Mr. T. R. Pinder, Mr. R. A. Cooper, the Rev. Hinds Howell, Mr. A. J. N. Chamberlin, Mr. C. J. Bunting, the Rev. E. P. Costello (Roman Catholic), the Rev. A. C. Copeman, the Rev. J. W. L. Heaviside, and Mr. J. C. Barnham. The unsuccessful candidates were Mr. John Youngs, Mr. F. Paul, the Rev. G. S. Barrett, and the Rev. A. Jessopp. On April 27th Canon Heaviside was elected Chairman, and Mr. Barnham Vice-Chairman; and on May 22nd Mr. E. P. Simpson was appointed Clerk.
April 15th 1871
“In consequence of the Purchas judgment, the clergy of Yarmouth intend to wear the surplice in future instead of the black gown when preaching. This resolution was carried into effect during Passion week, and on Easter Sunday at the various churches. At St. John’s, St. James’, and St. Andrew’s churches the black gown has long been discarded.”
April 18th 1871
The sale of the stud and foxhounds of the late Lord Hastings, at Melton Constable, attracted an enormous number of persons from all parts of England. About £4,000 was realised. On the 19th the daily cows and red and fallow deer were sold for £1,600.
April 21st 1871
Died at his residence, the Crescent, Norwich, the Rev. Samuel Titlow, vicar of St. John Timberhill and rector of St. Peter Hungate, aged 78. Mr. Titlow was a native of Harleston, and was seventh Wrangler in the mathematical tripos of 1817. Ordained deacon in the same year, he was appointed curate of Broxbourne, and in 1818 received priest’s orders. He came to Norwich in 1819, as mathematical master at the Grammar School, under Dr. Valpy, and held the curacy of St. Clement. Mr. Titlow afterwards opened a school in Pottergate Street, which he carried on for several years with great success. In 1831 he was appointed to the vicarage of St. John Timberhill, and in 1839 the Lord Chancellor presented him to the rectory of St. Peter Hungate.
April 22nd 1871
Died at his residence, Hellesdon House, Norwich, Mr. John Norgate, a warm supporter of the benevolent and educational institutions of the city, and a good judge of the fine arts.
April 27th 1871
A great meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. F. E. Watson), “for the purpose of protesting against the Intoxicating Liquors (Licensing) Bill introduced into the House of Commons by the Home Secretary, Mr. Bruce.” The principal speakers were Sir Samuel Bignold, Mr. W. P. Nichols, Mr. S. Gurney Buxton, and Mr. H. Patteson. Resolutions were adopted affirming that the Bill was unjust in its character and indefensible in its confiscating the rights of property, and ought to be opposed by every constitutional means, and that it was an undue interference with the rights, liberties, and necessities of the working man, and inconsistent with the true spirit of freedom.
May 7th 1871
Died, at Great Plumstead, Robert Maidstone, in his one hundredth year. For the last twenty years of his life he was postmaster of the village, and had served for more than half a century the office of parish clerk.
May 13th 1871
The census returns for Norwich were published on this date. The number of houses inhabited was 18,328; uninhabited, 1,117; building, 181; the total population was 80,382—males, 36,583; females, 43,799.
May 17th 1871
Snow fell at Norwich, “and the weather was more like that of midwinter than of the merrie month of May.”
May 18th 1871
The sale of the late Lord Walsingham’s Merton herd was conducted by Mr. John Thornton. Forty-six cows realised £1,906 16s., and eleven bulls, £402 3s., a respective average of £41 9s. and £36 11s. 2d. The total amount was £2,308 19s. The Southdown flock was sold by Mr. Thornton on June 29th. The highest price paid for a yearling ram was 180 guineas, and the total amount realised £5,489 15s.
May 21st 1871
Died, at St. Augustine’s, Norwich, Mr. John Sultzer, in his 69th year. Since the year 1839 he had carried on an extensive manufacturing business; he was a magistrate of the city, a member of the Town Council, and chairman of the Norwich Waterworks Company, and of the Board of Management of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Mr. Sultzer was a native of Leicester, and at the age of 25 settled in Lichfield, of which city he was Mayor at the time of the Coronation of Queen Victoria. In politics he was a Liberal.
May 24th 1871
The Queen’s birthday was celebrated in the customary manner at Norwich. The Royal Horse Artillery and Volunteers were reviewed on Mousehold, and the Mayor and Sheriff, besides entertaining a large number of guests at the Drill Hall, gave a dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall to 1,200 of the aged poor.
June 7th 1871
A rifle match between two teams of 22 men each, representing the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk, took place on the Billingford range, East Dereham, and was won by Norfolk by 589 points against 562.
June 20th 1871
A fine barque, classed A 1 at Lloyd’s for fourteen years, named the Oleander, was launched from the shipyard of Mr. J. H. Fellows, at Southtown, Yarmouth. The vessel was 440 tons builder’s measurement, and 386 tons register, 133 feet in length, and 27 feet beam, and was intended for the South African trade.
June 21st 1871
The annual show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association commenced at East Dereham, and was continued on the 22nd. It was the most successful that the society had held. Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., presided at the public dinner, which took place at the Corn Hall.
July 14th 1871
Mrs. Elizabeth Watts, of Badding’s Lane, St. Martin-at-Palace, Norwich, attained her one hundredth year.
July 15th 1871
The 2nd Administrative Battalion of Norfolk Volunteers and the 1st Administrative Battalion of Suffolk Volunteers were encamped on the North Denes, Yarmouth. Major-General F. Murray inspected the battalions on the 20th.
July 18th 1871
The projected establishment of a Norfolk County School for the education of the middle classes “on similar principles to those which have been successfully carried out in other counties,” was discussed at a meeting of the West Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture held at King’s Lynn. The movement, which was initiated by the Rev. J. L. Brereton, was deemed worthy of support not only by the chamber, but by the county generally. On September 30th the announcement was made that the school was being experimentally conducted at Great Massingham. (_See_ January 22nd, 1872.)
July 22nd 1871
The 1st Administrative Battalion of Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp at Holkham Park. The North Walsham corps marched the whole distance of thirty miles; they started the day before, and were billeted for the night at Holt. Lieut.-Col. Wilkinson inspected the battalion on the 26th, and the camp was struck on the 29th.
August 2nd 1871
The Eastern Counties Industrial and Fine Arts Exhibition commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. It remained open for two months.
August 5th 1871
At a special meeting of the Governors of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, the Centenary Committee appointed for the purpose of suggesting a scheme for affording increased accommodation for in-patients, and for soliciting donations and subscriptions to carry out the object, reported that in consequence of conflicting opinions they had been unable to come to a decision. It was agreed by the Board that no additional building be commenced not only until the necessary funds for completing the building were provided, but until increased subscriptions for the maintenance of additional in-patients were forthcoming. (_See_ November 20th, 1876.)
August 7th 1871
The first Monday in August falling upon this date, “the banks at Norwich were closed, under the Bank Holiday Act.” At East Dereham “the first of the holidays mentioned in the new statute was officially observed by the various bank officials, for whose convenience the measure was passed into law.” A meeting of the merchants, manufacturers, traders, and others was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, on December 14th, “to determine whether the holidays mentioned in the Bank Holiday Act should be permanently adopted in this city.” Those present pledged themselves to adopt the holidays.
August 15th 1871
The Yarmouth Town Council voted an address to Sir James Paget, a native of the borough, congratulating him upon the honour of a baronetcy conferred upon him by the Queen.
August 22nd 1871
The D Battery, B Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery, marched from Norwich for Aldershot, and were accompanied to the city boundary by the bands of the Artillery and Rifle Volunteers.
August 26th 1871
Died, Mr. James De Carle Sowerby, aged 84. He belonged to a Norwich family of naturalists, and was chiefly employed in drawing, engraving, and colouring. “There were few departments of natural history in which his attainments were not considerable, and he published many papers on shells and other subjects in the Transactions of the Geological and other societies.”
September 2nd 1871
Mr. Walter Montgomery, the well-known actor, committed suicide by shooting himself at Shelly’s Hotel, Stafford Street, London. Only on the 30th of the previous month he married, at St. George’s, Hanover Square, Miss Laleah B. Bigelow, an American lady. Mr. Montgomery, whose real name was Richard Tomlinson, was a native of Norwich, and for some years resided at Walsingham, where he was apprenticed to Mr. William Coker, a grocer and draper. At an early age he showed a predilection for the stage, and after a series of recitals in private, made his first appearance at Norwich Theatre, and subsequently played at Yarmouth, Bath, Bristol, and other provincial towns. He went to Birmingham in 1854, and thence to the Theatre Royal, Manchester, where he became a great favourite. He performed also at Drury Lane and the Haymarket, and made a tour in Australia, where he established for himself a high reputation. Returning to England, he sustained heavy pecuniary losses by his connexion with the Gaiety Theatre, and had resolved to emigrate to America. Mr. Montgomery was 44 years of age.
September 11th 1871
Mdlle. Beatrice appeared at Norwich Theatre with “Frou-frou” Company. During the engagement, “The Happy Pair” and “The Ticket-of-Leave Man,” in which Mr. Horace Wigan sustained his original character of Hawkshaw, the Detective, were produced.
September 27th 1871
The All England and Norfolk Ploughing Matches commenced at Booton, near Reepham, and were continued on the 28th. There were seven contests—three for implement manufacturers and four for Norfolk ploughmen. A public dinner was held at Hackford schoolroom on the evening of the first day, when Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., presided, and several local members of Parliament were present.
October 4th 1871
The headquarters of the 7th Dragoon Guards arrived at Norwich, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Peyton. The Cavalry Barracks being under repair, the officers took up their quarters at the Royal Hotel.
October 6th 1871
Great excitement was caused at Diss by the closing of the doors of Messrs. Fincham and Co.’s Bank. In a circular issued shortly afterwards, Mr. Simpson stated that he was compelled to adopt this course owing to the continued strain upon his resources. On the 7th it was announced that arrangements were being made by which it was hoped the business of the Bank would be carried on; and on the same day Messrs. Gurneys intimated that they would afford banking facilities to the customers of Messrs. Fincham and Simpson during the temporary suspension of business. A meeting of the creditors was held on the 10th, and a committee appointed; and representatives of the London and Provincial Bank carried out negotiations which resulted in the Bank being re-opened on the 11th. Another meeting was held on November 2nd, for the purpose of proving debts and of realising the estate. Payment to the creditors of 10s. in the pound was arranged, it being understood that further dividends would be paid as the estate was realised. The liabilities were reported to be £87,305 5s. 6d., and the assets £54,491 18s. 2d.
October 13th 1871
Sir Samuel Bignold, on the completion of his 80th year, was presented by the clerks at the Union Offices with a silver inkstand and an illuminated address. Several of the Conservative Ward Associations adopted congratulatory addresses, and, on the 17th, a resolution was passed by the Town Council expressive of the congratulations of that body. On January 9th, 1872, the proprietors of the Norwich Union Fire Office presented Sir Samuel with a service of plate and his portrait, painted by Ventnor.
October 15th 1871
Died at his residence, Buckingham Palace Road, London, Mr. Richard Young, who, on the 13th inst., had been re-elected by the Livery of the Corporation Sheriff of London and Middlesex. Mr. Young, who was a merchant and shipowner, and a director of the Great Eastern Railway and other companies, was born at Scarning, in 1809, and was a self-made man.
October 16th 1871
Died at the house of her nephew, Mr. H. Wilkin, West Pottergate Street, Norwich, Sarah Nolbrow, aged 100 years.
October 17th 1871
The Norwich Town Council accepted a portrait of Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett, painted by Sandys, to be placed in St. Andrew’s Hall.
October 17th 1871
The Sanitary Committee reported to the Norwich Town Council that the number of outbreaks of small-pox in the city was such as to occasion considerable alarm. It was stated that the necessary precautions had been taken, and, in case of death, burial within forty-eight hours had, as far as possible, been enforced, and arrangements made to prevent the bodies of children being carried to the Cemetery in cabs. Dr. Eade, at a meeting of the Town Council on November 28th, referred to the alarming spread of the disease, and urged the necessity of enforcing vaccination. During this and the succeeding month several persons were prosecuted for neglect of precautionary measures. On December 19th it was reported to the Town Council that the Marchioness of Lothian had munificently given to the city a small-pox hospital. (_See_ March 23rd, 1872.)
October 18th 1871
A new Corn Hall, erected through the enterprise of Mr. J. W. Davey, was opened at Yarmouth. It was designed by Mr. J. B. Pearce, and built by Mr. J. W. Lacey, at the cost of £3,800. “For many years past the corn merchants had met in all weathers in front of the Duke’s Head Hotel, without the slightest shelter, and transacted their affairs at great inconvenience to themselves and to the annoyance of the general public.”
October 26th 1871
At Norwich Quarter Sessions, before the Recorder, Mr. O’Malley, Q.C., Henry Brown Woolsey (36), formerly a clerk at Carrow Works, pleaded guilty to feloniously embezzling £558, the monies of his employers, Mr. J. J. Colman and others, and was sentenced to five years’ penal servitude, although recommended to mercy by the prosecutors. Considerable comment was made upon the disparity of the sentences in this and in the Hoskins case (_q.v._ page 210).
November 9th 1871
Mr. Robert Chamberlin was elected Mayor, and Mr. Frederick Grimmer appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 23rd 1871
A telegram was received at Norwich announcing that the Prince of Wales was suffering from an attack of typhoid fever at Sandringham. “There are,” it was added, “no unfavourable symptoms.” Later bulletins were of a most alarming character, and the inhabitants of county and city soon realised that his Royal Highness was in a critical condition. The Queen arrived from Windsor on the 29th, and was met at Wolferton station by the Duke of Edinburgh, who escorted her to Sandringham. This was her Majesty’s first visit to Sandringham, and her second to Norfolk. [As Princess Victoria, she, with her mother, the Duchess of Kent, visited Mr. Coke at Holkham, in 1835.] Her Majesty returned to Windsor on December 1st. On the 8th his Royal Highness had a very serious relapse, and his Royal mother, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Louise, hurried back to Sandringham. On December 10th a special form of prayer was used in all churches, and supplications were made at Nonconformist places of worship. Public suspense continued until the 14th, when a turn for the better took place, and on the 19th her Majesty returned to Windsor. On the same day a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council was held, at which, on the motion of Sir William Foster, seconded by Sir Samuel Bignold, a resolution was adopted expressing to her Majesty and the Princess of Wales the deep sympathy felt by the citizens during the dangerous and painful illness of his Royal Highness. Throughout this trying period the newspaper offices in Norwich were besieged by anxious crowds, eager to receive intelligence. (_See_ January 4th, 1872.)
November 30th 1871
A severe gale burst over the East coast, and was productive of the most terrible disasters to shipping and the fishing fleet.
December 26th 1871
The pantomime produced at Norwich Theatre, by Miss May Holt, was entitled, “The Fair One with the Golden Locks, or Harlequin Zephyr and the Peris’ Paradise on the Jewelled Island.” At Charles Adams’ Circus was produced the equestrian pantomime, “Ride a Cock Horse to Banbury Cross, or Harlequin Mother Goose.”