January 31st 1870
In the Court of Common Pleas, before Lord Chief Justice Bovill and Justices Smith and Brett, Mr. Mellish, Q.C., showed cause against the rule calling upon the Master to review his taxation of the costs in the Norwich election petition. The bill of costs of the petitioner (Mr. J. H. Tillett) had been reduced from £3,015 7s. to £703 3s., and of the respondent (Sir H. J. Stracey) from £793 14s. 2d. to £168 6s. Four hundred witnesses had been subpœnaed. The Lord Chief Justice said the rule must be discharged. “Sir Henry Stracey,” it was stated on March 19th, “has this week paid to Mr. Tillett’s solicitors £583 17s. 8d., which has been accepted as payment in full for his costs in the matter. The total amount of the petitioner’s costs was £3,800, and deducting Sir Henry’s contribution, it leaves upwards of £3,200 to be paid by the petitioner.” (_See_ March 31st.)
February 1st 1870
Died in Florida, while on leave of absence from Montreal, Lieut.-General Sir Charles Ashe Windham, K.C.B., commanding the forces in Canada. He was the fourth son of Vice-Admiral Windham, of Felbrigg Hall, who was the son of the Rev. George William Lukin, Dean of Wells, and who assumed the name of Windham on succeeding to the estates of his distinguished relative, the Right Hon. William Windham. His mother was Anne, daughter of Mr. Peter Thellusson, of Broadsmouth, Yorkshire, and sister of the first Baron Rendlesham. He was born at Felbrigg in 1810, and married first, in 1849, Marianne Catherine Emily, daughter of Admiral Sir John P. Beresford, Bart., K.C.B., who died in 1865; and secondly, in 1866, Charlotte Jane, eldest daughter of the Rev. Henry Des Vœux. Educated at Sandhurst, he entered the Army in 1826, as ensign and lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards, and served in Canada during the time of the rebellion, from 1838 to 1842. He continued with the regiment until the outbreak of the war with Russia, when he accompanied the Eastern Army as Assistant Quarter-master General of the 4th Division, and served from September, 1854, to July, 1856, without a day’s absence. He was present at the battle of the Alma, at Balaclava, and at the repulse of the powerful sortie on October 26th, 1854, and was with Sir George Cathcart when the latter was killed at the battle of Inkerman. At the second assault on the Redan, on September 8th, 1855, Windham (then Colonel) greatly distinguished himself by his personal daring and gallantry in command of the storming party of the second division, and for his intrepid conduct was promoted Major-General. In September, 1855, he was appointed Governor of the British portion of Sebastopol, and in the following month was entrusted with the command of the 4th Division. For his services in the Crimea he received numerous clasps, medals, and orders. In 1857 General Windham proceeded to India and commanded a division in the field, under Lord Clyde, during the advance to Kallee Nuddee. On June 17th, 1861, he was appointed to the command of the 46th Regiment of Foot, and in October, 1867, became Commander of the Forces in Canada. On the return of General Windham from the Crimea, in July, 1856, he was enthusiastically received at Norwich and presented with two handsome swords, purchased by public subscription. In April, 1857, he was returned to Parliament for East Norfolk, and remained its member for two years.
February 5th 1870
A meeting of the Norwich Diocesan Church Association was held at the Church Societies’ Rooms, Norwich, for the purpose of discussing the question of national education, a subject which was brought prominently before the country during this year. The Bishop of Norwich presided, and the Dean moved, “That in any legislative enactments for promoting the education of the children of the working classes called for by the destitution in this respect of many places in England and Wales, the inculcation of Christian truth ought to form an essential feature, and that provision for this purpose can be best made under existing circumstances through the medium of parochial and other schools attached to the Church of England or to other religious communions.” A further resolution was moved by the Hon. Frederick Walpole, M.P., “That the present system, which has been successfully in operation during the last thirty years, carried on by means of voluntary efforts, and maintained by school fees, charitable contributions, and grants from the Consolidated Fund, is capable of further extension and improvement, and is able, if adequately assisted by the State, to supply the national wants of the country without resorting to local taxation for the purpose, unless in those extreme cases for which provision can be made in no other way.” A third resolution was moved by Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., “That compulsory education, except under especial circumstances, such as the case of vagrant, criminal, and destitute children, would be an unnecessary interference with the rights and responsibilities of parents, and unless applied to all classes of the community, create an unjust and invidious distinction between rich and poor, and its enforcement by pains and penalties would cause a general feeling of hardship and discontent, while its objects could be attained by other means, such as the extension, under due restrictions, of the Factory Acts and of similar measures regulating the employment of children’s labour.” The final resolution was moved by the Rev. Canon Heaviside, “That in the opinion of this meeting it is expedient that the promoters of Church education should consent that in schools aided by the Government grant provision should be made for securing perfect liberty of distinctive religious teaching combined with perfect liberty of declining it.” These resolutions were adopted. The Elementary Education Bill, introduced by Mr. W. E. Forster on February 17th, was passed, and received the Royal assent on August 9th. On October 11th a meeting of the clergy was held, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. A. F. C. Bolingbroke), at the Girls’ Model School, Norwich, “for the purpose of consulting as to the steps to be taken under the Elementary Education Act,” and it was resolved to convene a public meeting for the discussion of the question. This meeting was held on October 19th, at the Free Library, and was composed of “school managers and supporters of Church education.” The Mayor again presided. The Lord Bishop moved, “That, with the view of carrying out the objects of the Elementary Education Act, 1870, in this city, steps be immediately taken to supply and maintain sufficient, efficient, and suitable schools on the voluntary principle, in order to secure in Church schools religious education in accordance with the teaching of the Church of England.” This was seconded by Mr. Henry Birkbeck. The Sheriff (Mr. Henry Morgan) moved, “That an immediate appeal be made to the citizens of Norwich to provide funds on the voluntary principle for carrying out the object of this meeting.” A further resolution was adopted, “That the Bishop of the Diocese, with the clergy of the city, the managers of Church schools, and such donors and subscribers as may be willing to act be constituted a council, and shall appoint, as soon as possible, a committee to carry out the former resolutions, and to report progress to the council from time to time.” The body thus constituted was afterwards known as the Church Education Council. On November 28th the supporters of voluntary education held a large meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall, at which were adopted resolutions framed on similar lines to the foregoing. The supporters of unsectarian education held a meeting at the Free Library on the 30th, under the presidency of Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett, at which the Rev. G. S. Barrett moved, “That a request be sent to the Mayor to convene a common hall, in order that steps may be taken immediately for the formation of a School Board in the city.” The Rev. J. Hallett seconded the motion, which was unanimously adopted, and a committee was formed for the purpose of carrying it into effect. The Church Education Council, on December 13th, announced that sufficient subscriptions had been obtained for providing necessary school accommodation in Norwich. At a special meeting of the Town Council on December 20th, the return made under the provisions of the Act to the Education Department of the Privy Council was approved. It stated that the estimated population of the city was 82,000, the rateable value £212,129; the total number of assessments, 21,397; and the number of voters on the municipal register, 10,909. “The returns from elementary schools as being in operation were 93; the number of schools to which forms were delivered but refused to fill them up was 27.” (_See_ February 28th, 1871.)
February 6th 1870
Died at Bethel Street, Norwich, in his 78th year, Mr. Henry Browne. He was the youngest son of Mr. Alderman John Browne, and a liberal supporter of the charitable institutions of Norwich. In his early days of business life Mr. Browne was led to join in those well-intentioned but unfortunately not permanently successful enterprises, the Yarn Company and the movement for making Norwich a port by communication with the sea at Lowestoft.
February 9th 1870
Strong gales from the E. and E.N.E., accompanied by snow squalls, prevailed off the Norfolk coast, and increased in severity until the 14th. Several shipping disasters occurred. On the 13th the screw steamer Sea Queen, with her crew, was lost on the Scroby Sands, and the American-built barque Victoria, 700 tons, bound from North Shields to Barcelona, with a cargo of coals, went down. Of her crew, several hands were lost.
February 12th 1870
The Assembly Rooms, erected in 1862, on the Victoria Esplanade, Yarmouth, at the cost of £6,000, were destroyed by fire.
February 24th 1870
Sir R. J. H. Harvey declined to accede to a memorial signed by 3,000 electors of Norwich, requesting him to allow himself to be adopted as Conservative candidate for the city.
February 26th 1870
“Since January 1st several rare birds have been met with in the neighbourhood of Swaffham, namely, a fork-tailed petrel, picked up at Gooderstone; little gull (_Larus minutus_), in good condition, and weighing only 3 ozs., shot at Beechamwell; stormy petrel, picked up at Narborough; bittern, shot at Weeting; pied thrush, shot at Cockley Cley; pied common partridge, shot at Didlington; dusky grebe, shot at Castleacre; and a peregrine falcon, a fine old female bird weighing 43 ozs. and measuring 47 inches from tip to tip of its wings, shot at Beechamwell.”
February 28th 1870
The organ at Yarmouth parish church was opened after restoration. The instrument was built by Jordan, Bridge, and Byfield, in 1733, repaired by England (Jordan’s grandson) in 1812, and again in 1840 by Gray. It was finally restored and enlarged by Messrs. Hill, of London.
March 20th 1870
A movement known as “The Church’s Call” commenced in Norwich. A simultaneous and united effort was made at all the churches in the city; “all seemed resolved to cast aside minor differences, and High Churchmen, Low Churchmen, and Broad Churchmen apparently vied with each other in doing the work set before them.”
March 23rd 1870
Died at Warham All Saints, Margaret Green, aged 100 years. “The Thursford register testifies to her baptism in that parish on March 27th, 1769.”
March 31st 1870
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Byles, Robert Hardiment, tanner and fellmonger, was charged on five counts with bribing voters at the last General Election to vote for Sir H. J. Stracey. The Attorney-General appeared for the prosecution, and the defendant was found guilty. His lordship remarked that this was a very serious crime, and, as he was desirous that sentence should be pronounced by the highest judicature of the country, judgment was reserved. Another person, named Banfather, charged with bribery at the same election, was acquitted. On April 1st, at the same Court, John Hughes Hulme was found guilty of bribery, and sentence was reserved. Edward Stracey, son of Sir Henry J. Stracey, was next charged. The Attorney-General conducted the case for the prosecution, and Mr. A. Staveley Hill, Q.C., was specially retained for the defence. On April 2nd the jury returned a verdict of not guilty. “No sooner was the announcement made than deafening cheers were raised in the Court, and it was in vain that the officers tried to suppress them.” The defendant Hardiment was indicted, before Mr. Justice Blackburn, on various counts, for committing acts of bribery at the Eighth Ward Municipal Election, on November 1st, 1869. On being found guilty, he was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment. Joseph Stanley, solicitor, was charged with unlawfully conspiring with Robert Hardiment and others to induce, by means of bribes, certain persons to vote for Edward Bennett and George Gedge, candidates at the municipal election in question. The jury acquitted the defendant. Anthony Freestone, baker, and Henry Ellis, shoe manufacturer, were also indicted for conspiring to bribe at the municipal election, and were acquitted. On April 8th Messrs. W. H. Tillett and Co., solicitors, addressed a letter to the newspapers, asserting that “the jury drew lots to decide what their verdict should be in the cases of Freestone and Ellis.” They added, “The verdict is, of course, bad, and we shall feel it our duty to lay the facts before the committee of gentlemen who instructed us in the prosecutions.” No further action was taken, however. In the Court of Queen’s Bench, on May 10th, before the Lord Chief Justice and Justices Blackburn, Mellor, and Hannen, Hardiment and Hulme were brought up for sentence. Mr. Bulwer, Q.C., applied for mitigation of sentence in the case of Hardiment, on the ground that he was then undergoing imprisonment for municipal bribery; in the case of Hulme it was urged that imprisonment would be injurious to his health. The Court passed sentence of ten months’ imprisonment upon the first-named defendant, to run concurrently with the six months he had received for municipal bribery, two months of which he had already served, to be classed as a second-class misdemeanant, and to be fined £100. Hulme was fined £100. Mr. C. S. Read, M.P., subsequently presented to the Home Secretary a memorial, signed by 1,500 citizens, praying that Hardiment should be classed as a first-class misdemeanant.
April 4th 1870
The Rev. Canon Greenwell, of Durham, “the well-known opener of the Yorkshire wold tumuli,” who had been making scientific investigations at Weeting, opened one of the peculiar mounds known as “Grimes’ Graves,” and discovered therein “two primitive picks _in situ_, with a splendid ground axe, the skeleton of a bird, a chalk bowl or lamp, and other curious relics.”
April 18th 1870
The Loveday Opera Company commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. The celebrated pantomimists and dancers, the Paynes, and Mdlle. Esta, appeared with the company.
April 20th 1870
Died at Aigle, Switzerland, the Rev. W. Beal, LL.D., vicar of Brooke, aged 54. Dr. Beal was the well-known originator of harvest festivals.
April 21st 1870
Died at Holkham, the Countess of Leicester. Her ladyship was the eldest daughter of Mr. Samuel Charles Whitbread, of Cardington, Bedfordshire, and was married to the Earl of Leicester in 1843.
April 26th 1870
The portrait of the Rev. John Gunn, F.G.S., painted by Capt. H. H. Roberts, of Thorpe, was hung at the Norfolk and Norwich Museum, “in acknowledgment of his munificent gift to the geological department of his unrivalled collection of local mammalian remains.”
April 28th 1870
The south aisle of Yarmouth parish church was opened. The Bishop of Rochester and the Bishop of the Diocese were the preachers.
April 28th 1870
Died, aged 84, William Gurney, compositor, of Norwich. He had been for seventy years in continuous employment at the NORFOLK CHRONICLE Office.
April 30th 1870
Died at his residence, Horsforth Hall, near Leeds, in his 74th year, Mr. John Marshall, who was Sheriff of Norwich in 1834 and Mayor in 1838 and 1841. Mr. Marshall, who was an advanced Liberal, went to Leeds in 1843, and there took an active part in the affairs of that town. His remains were interred at the Rosary burial-ground, Norwich.
May 8th 1870
Died at Cholmondeley Castle, Cheshire, George Horatio Cholmondeley, second Marquis and Earl of Cholmondeley. He was the eldest son of George James, the first Marquis, by his wife, Lady Georgina Charlotte Bertie, second daughter of Peregrine, third Duke of Ancaster. Born January 16th, 1792, he married, first, on October 20th, 1812, Caroline, second daughter of Lieut.-General Colin Campbell, who died in October, 1815; and secondly, on May 11th, 1830, Lady Susan Caroline Somerset, fourth daughter of Henry Charles, sixth Duke of Beaufort, by whom he was survived. He succeeded to the marquisate on the death of his father, in 1827.
May 16th 1870
Miss Heath, principal tragedienne of the Drury Lane, Haymarket, and Princess’ Theatres, London, supported by Mr. Wilson Barrett, commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre, in “East Lynne,” “The Jealous Wife,” “The Bond of Life,” and “Masks and Faces.” Mr. Wilson Barrett was described as “a painstaking and conscientious actor.”
May 24th 1870
The Queen’s birthday was celebrated at Norwich by a review of the Royal Horse Artillery and the Volunteers on Mousehold Heath. The Mayor entertained a large party at the Drill Hall, and gave a dinner at the Corn Hall to the indigent blind and to poor children; and the Norwich Athletic Club held sports on the Newmarket Road Ground.
June 13th 1870
At a meeting of 2,000 Liberal electors, held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett was adopted a candidate for Norwich. A meeting of the Whig party, convened by Sir William Foster, was held at the Royal Hotel on the 14th, under the presidency of Mr. I. O. Taylor, at which it was decided to adopt the candidature of Mr. Edward Warner.
June 17th 1870
Died at Edgbaston, Birmingham, in his 72nd year, Mr. Robert Martineau, brother of the Rev. James Martineau and Miss Harriet Martineau. He was a native of Norwich, but settled in Birmingham as a manufacturer at an early period of his life, and took an active part in the Reform agitation preceding the Bill of 1832. For the last fourteen years of his life he lived in retirement, owing to almost total blindness.
June 23rd 1870
The annual show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association commenced at Harleston, and was continued on the 24th. Mr. Edward Howes, M.P., presided at the dinner.
June 23rd 1870
The Earl of Rosebery visited his Norfolk estate for the first time. His lordship was met at the entrance to the village of Postwick by a brass band, which preceded the carriage to the rectory, where he was received by the Rev. W. and Lady Margaret Vincent, the Countess of Buchan, Lord Cardross, and other guests. The cottage tenants were entertained at dinner, and “the orator of the village” proposed his lordship’s health, to which the Earl replied. A dinner to the tenantry was given in the school-room, at which his lordship presided, and the festivities ended with a display of fireworks.
July 1st 1870
The first annual meeting of the Norwich Meteorological Society was held at the Literary Institution. After the visit of the British Association to Norwich in 1868, the local committee, having defrayed all the expenses, had a balance in hand of upwards of £300. At a meeting of subscribers, £100 of this balance was devoted to the purchase of meteorological instruments, and on December 3rd, 1868, the society was formed, with Mr. S. Gurney Buxton as president.
July 4th 1870
Died at his London residence, Clapham, the Right Hon. William Schomberg Robert Kerr, Marquis of Lothian. He was the eldest of the four surviving sons of John William Robert, seventh Marquis, by Lady Cecil Chetwynd Talbot, daughter of Charles, second Earl Talbot. Born on August 12th, 1832, he married, on August 12th, 1857, Lady Constance Harriet Mahonesa Talbot, eldest surviving daughter of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. He succeeded to the marquisate on the death of his father, in November, 1844. Educated at Christchurch, Oxford, he took high honours, having been first class in classics in 1853, and first class in jurisprudence and modern history in 1854. After he had finished his University career, he went to India for a year, but the climate had an injurious effect upon his naturally feeble constitution. His lordship died without issue, and the family estates in Scotland and Norfolk were inherited by his brother, Lord Schomberg Kerr.
July 6th 1870
The foundation-stone of St. Philip’s church, Norwich, was laid by the Mayor (Mr. A. F. C. Bolingbroke), who was accompanied by members of the Corporation. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich on August 3rd, 1871. The architect was Mr. Edward Power, of London, and the builder Mr. J. Nelson, of Necton. It was designed to seat 775 persons, and the cost was estimated at about £3,575.
July 9th 1870
The 1st Administrative Battalion Norfolk Rifle Volunteers went into camp at Hunstanton Park. The battalion was inspected by Col. Freer, 27th Regiment.
July 11th 1870
The nomination of candidates to fill the vacancy in the representation of Norwich caused by the unseating on petition of Sir Henry Josias Stracey, took place at the Guildhall. Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett was nominated by Mr. J. J. Colman, and seconded by Mr. Henry Birkbeck; and Mr. John Walter Huddleston, Q.C., by Sir Samuel Bignold, seconded by Mr. H. S. Patteson. The show of hands was in favour of Mr. Huddlestone, and a poll was demanded by the Liberals. The polling took place on the 12th, and resulted as follows: Tillett, 4,236; Huddlestone, 3,874. Mr. Tillett, on the 14th, took the oath and his seat in the House of Commons. (_See_ August 3rd.)
July 15th 1870
Great consternation was caused in Norwich by a report that Sir Robert Harvey had committed suicide in his grounds at Crown Point. As it subsequently proved, the rumour was well founded. Sir Robert was in his shrubbery when two pistol shots were heard. Two workmen employed upon the premises, on proceeding to the spot, found Sir Robert in a sitting posture, bleeding from a severe wound in the chest. He was at once removed into the house and placed in the library. Mr. Nichols, the family surgeon, and Mr. Cadge were summoned, and on arriving found Sir Robert in a critical condition. Dr. Copeman was subsequently called in, and every effort was made to preserve life. On the 16th the patient rallied slightly, and on the 17th he was pronounced to be better, but on the 18th he became worse, and was visited by the Dean of Norwich, who prayed with him and afforded him spiritual consolation. Later his prostration increased, and he passed away in an unconscious state on the 19th. With the report of the suicide was circulated the rumour that Sir Robert had speculated and lost heavily, and having been unable to meet his engagements, was posted a defaulter on the Stock Exchange. At an early hour on the 16th the following notice was exhibited upon the closed doors of the Crown Bank: “Norwich Crown Bank. In consequence of the lamentable catastrophe which has happened to Sir Robert Harvey, it has been determined by the other partners to suspend the business of the Bank for the present.” This notice gave rise to increased anxiety. Messrs. Gurneys offered to afford every possible accommodation to the customers of the Crown Bank, and a few hours later the National Provincial Bank made a similar offer. The affairs of the Crown Bank being inextricably involved, Mr. Allday Kerrison, one of the partners, signed, on the 16th, a declaration of insolvency, and on the same day the largest city creditor, Mr. George Gedge, presented a petition for bankruptcy. The sale of the good-will and premises of the Bank was provisionally made to Messrs. Gurneys and Co. on the 18th. Mr. Allday Kerrison and his son, gentlemen of unsullied honour, had their fortunes shattered by one dire stroke, through the reckless speculations of their partner, speculations of which they were entirely ignorant. The inquest was held upon the body of the deceased baronet at Crown Point on the 20th, by Mr. W. H. N. Turner, one of the Deputy Coroners for the Liberty of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and the jury returned the following verdict: “The jury are of opinion that Sir Robert Harvey’s death was caused by firearms discharged by himself while in a state of temporary insanity.” A meeting of the principal creditors was held at the Royal Hotel on the 21st, under the presidency of the Mayor, and the following resolution was passed: “That this meeting entirely approves of the steps taken by Messrs. Kerrison in suspending the business of the Bank, the measures taken to protect the assets of the Bank by the immediate filing of a petition in bankruptcy and the negotiations for the sale of the goodwill and the business and premises to Messrs. Gurneys and Co.” On the 27th a meeting was held at the Royal Hotel for the purpose of considering and discussing the best course to be taken in liquidating the estate of the bankrupts. Mr. E. C. Bailey was appointed trustee of the estate, and the Mayor and Messrs. F. E. Watson, H. S. Patteson, H. Woods, and C. Hornor a committee of inspection. The first general meeting of creditors was held on August 3rd, when it was reported that the total liabilities to rank for dividend would be £1,600,321, and the total assets £910,187. [Sir Robert John Harvey Harvey was the eldest son of General Sir Robert John Harvey, C.B., K.T.S., of Mousehold House, Norwich, by Charlotte (his cousin), daughter and heiress of Mr. Robert Harvey, of Walton, Suffolk. Born in 1817, he married, in 1845, Lady Henrietta Augusta, daughter of George, Viscount Kilcoursie, and granddaughter of the eighth Earl of Craven. He was High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1863, and represented Thetford in Parliament from July, 1865, to November, 1868, when the borough was disfranchised under the new Reform Act. His son and heir, Charles Harvey, was born at Bracondale in 1849.]
August 1st 1870
The Grand English Opera Company, under the management of Mr. Henry Corri, appeared at Norwich Theatre. The principal _artistes_ were Madame Ida Gilliers Corri, Miss Fanny Harrison, Mr. Henry Corri, and Mr. Haydn Corri.
August 3rd 1870
In the Court of Common Pleas a petition was filed by Mr. Gardiner C. Stevens against the return of Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett, as member for Norwich. In addition to the usual allegations of bribery and undue influence at the last election, there was a special one of disqualification on account of corrupt practices at the election in 1868. On November 3rd Mr. Tillett obtained an order in the Court of Common Pleas for the striking out of this clause, but leave was given to the petitioner to move the full Court for a rule to show cause why the order should not be rescinded. On November 23rd motion was made accordingly, and the Court unanimously ordered the clause which had been struck out to be restored. (_See_ January 5th, 1871.)
August 8th 1870
Died at Great Yarmouth, in his 90th year, Mr. Edward Youell, a partner in the banking-house of Lacons, Youell, and Co. He retired from the firm in 1863, after having been in the house nearly 70 years, for 42 of which he was a partner. For several years he had been afflicted with total blindness.
August 13th 1870
A half-yearly meeting of the East Norfolk Railway Company was held at Norwich. This company was formed for the purpose of constructing a railway from Norwich to North Walsham, and thence to Cromer. After commencing operations, it was unable to proceed from want of capital and other circumstances. It was reported that the estate of the contractor was in the Court of Chancery, a further survey of the proposed line was ordered, and steps were taken to ensure the resumption of the works. (_See_ October 20th, 1874.)
August 30th 1870
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, a proposed tramway scheme was discussed. The Wensum Valley railway scheme, for which an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1864, having been abandoned, it was considered that a tramway taking its place would prove useful for conveying produce from the several mills in the district to Norwich. The estimated cost of construction was £2,000 per mile, and the total estimated cost £14,000. The matter was referred to the Paving Committee, and no further steps were taken.
September 2nd 1870
Mr. Sothern appeared at Norwich Theatre as Lord Dundreary (“Our American Cousin”) and Hugh de Brass (“A Regular Fix”). On the 3rd he played the part of Colonel John White (“Home”), and appeared in “Dundreary Married and Settled,” and “Whitebait at Greenwich.”
September 3rd 1870
Mr. B. V. Winch was appointed Postmaster at Norwich, in place of Mr. S. Base, retired.
September 15th 1870
A three days’ bazaar was opened at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in aid of a fund for converting the Hospital field into an ornamental garden. The sum of £462 was realised.
September 27th 1870
An explosion took place on the premises of Mr. George Coe, firework manufacturer, New Catton. Two persons were severely injured, and removed to the Hospital.
October 6th 1870
Died at Landfort House, Portsmouth, Col. Edwin Wodehouse, C.B., commanding Royal Artillery in the Southern District. He was the eldest son of Vice-Admiral the Hon. Philip Wodehouse, and was born at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on April 17th, 1817. Entering the Army as lieutenant in the Royal Artillery, on December 19th, 1834, he served in the campaign of 1854–55, was present at the battles of the Alma, Balaclava, and Inkerman (where his horse was killed beneath him), at the siege and fall of Sebastopol, and at the repulse and sortie of October 26th, 1854. Col. Wodehouse was three times mentioned in dispatches, and received the medal with four clasps.
October 10th 1870
The first number of the “Eastern Daily Press” was published. A rival newspaper, called the “Eastern Daily Journal,” published at the price of one halfpenny, was issued this month, and had but a very brief existence.
October 31st 1870
The first Diocesan Conference was held at Norwich. At the ruri-decanal meetings held in the spring of the year, the question propounded by the Bishop for consideration was, “Is it desirable that there should be held in this diocese a Diocesan Conference, in which both the clergy and laity should be fully represented, for the purpose of considering and eliciting the opinions of Churchmen upon matters affecting the Church in general, or our own diocese in particular?” A large majority of the clergy and laity were in favour of the Conference, and the Bishop, considering the large area of the diocese, decided that the meetings should take place in five different centres. The first Conference was held at St. Andrew’s Hall on this date; the second at Fakenham Corn Hall, on November 1st; the third at Ipswich Public Hall, on November 2nd; the fourth at Halesworth, on November 3rd; and the fifth at Lynn Athenæum, on November 4th. At each Conference papers were read, followed by the moving of resolutions and by discussions.
November 9th 1870
Mr. Frederick Elwin Watson was elected Mayor (for the second time), and Mr. William Butcher appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 21st 1870
The Prince of Wales arrived at Merton Hall, on a visit to Lord and Lady Walsingham.
November 29th 1870
The building known as the temporary church in the parish of St. Bartholomew, Norwich, was opened by the Bishop of the Diocese. It was intended for the accommodation of 500 persons, and was erected at the cost of £600.
December 14th 1870
The Widow Steavenson, residing in St. Gregory’s parish, Norwich, completed her 101st year. “Several of the parishioners called upon her, congratulated her on the event, and supplied her with all the needful viands and wine to enable her to entertain several old friends. Her daughter, now 77 years old, is a widow, having had to mourn the loss of three husbands, but is on the point of marrying again.” (_See_ January 2nd, 1874.)
December 24th 1870
Mr. Sidney produced his “farewell pantomime” at Norwich Theatre. It was entitled, “St. George, the Dragon, and the Seven Champions of Christendom.”
December 31st 1870
The Prince of Wales, on his journey from Gunton to Sandringham, lunched at the County Club, Norwich. The party travelled from Gunton to Norwich in sleighs and closed carriages, and his Royal Highness afterwards proceeded by rail from Thorpe station to Wolferton.
December 31st 1870
Died at Merton Hall, the Right Hon. Thomas, Lord Walsingham. He was the eldest son of Thomas, fourth Lord Walsingham, by his wife Lady Elizabeth, fourth daughter of the Hon. and Right Rev. Brownlow North, Bishop of Winchester, and was born July 5th, 1804. On the death of his father, on September 8th, 1839, he succeeded to the barony, and married, on August 6th, 1842, Augusta Louisa, eldest daughter of Sir Robert Frankland Russell, Bart. Of this marriage he had issue a son, the Hon. Thomas de Grey. Lady Walsingham died in 1844, and his lordship married, secondly, on October 25th, 1847, the Horn Emily Elizabeth Julia Thellusson, eldest daughter of John, second Lord Rendlesham, by whom he left issue three sons and three daughters. His lordship was educated at St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he graduated M.A. in 1824, was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn in 1827, and in 1842 was made LL.D. of his University. Although educated for the law, he devoted himself to agriculture, the improvement of his estate, and of his cattle and sheep. He was a member of the leading agricultural societies and of the Smithfield Club, an excellent landlord, and one who carried out to the fullest extent the motto of his house, “Excitari non hebescere.” His lordship was succeeded in his title and estates by his son, the Hon. Thomas de Grey, M.P. for West Norfolk, who was born in 1843.
December 31st 1870
“The December of 1870 has been no less remarkable for its cold than its heat. In the opening days of the month the temperature was unusually high, and only a fortnight before winter made its appearance in stern reality the thermometer registered in Norwich 55. On the 21st there were four degrees of frost, and on the 23rd the thermometer fell as low as 8.5. On Christmas Eve the cold was so intense that the register on the following morning was as low as 5.5. Christmas Day was the coldest experienced since Christmas Day, 1860, when the cold was more intense by some two or three degrees.” There was a deep fall of snow throughout the county.