January 1st 1869
At the justices’ room of the Mansion House, London, John Henry Gurney, Henry Edmund Gurney, Robert Birkbeck, Henry Ford Barclay, Henry George Gordon, and William Rennie, directors of Overend, Gurney, and Company, Limited, were summoned for having, in July, 1865, and at divers other times, conspired to defraud Dr. Adam Thom and others who became shareholders in the company, of money to the amount of three millions sterling. The defendants, on the 27th, were committed for trial, and were admitted to bail, each of them in the sum of £10,000, with two sureties of £5,000 each. The trial commenced in the Court of Queen’s Bench on December 13th, before the Lord Chief Justice, who summed up on December 22nd, and the jury, after a few minutes’ deliberation, returned a verdict of not guilty. Intense excitement prevailed in Norwich during the trial, and on December 22nd, when the result was telegraphed to the city, it was everywhere hailed with great satisfaction. A remarkable scene occurred at Norwich Corn Hall, where a sale was in progress when the intelligence was received. The proceedings were stopped by cheering, the waving of hats, and other demonstrations of approval, and the auctioneer, addressing the company, said, “The name of Gurney was an honoured name in Norwich. The Gurneys had ever been friends of the poor and kind and good to all classes, and all were glad that the trial had resulted in the honourable acquittal of all the defendants.”
January 2nd 1869
At the Lambeth Police Court, William Sheward, aged 57, was charged upon his own confession with the wilful murder of his wife, Martha Sheward, at Norwich, on June 15th, 1851. On the night of January 1st the prisoner went to the Carter Street Police Station and said to the officer in charge, “I have killed my wife. I have kept the secret for years, but I can keep it no longer.” In a further statement he said he had intended to destroy himself, “but the Almighty would not let him do it.” He added that he had cut up his wife’s body, and that a portion was kept in spirits of wine at the Guildhall at Norwich, by order of the magistrates. At the Norwich Police Court, on January 4th, the Chief Constable (Mr. Hitchman) detailed to the magistrates the particulars reported to him by the London police, and stated that on June 21st, 1851, portions of a human body were found in different parts of the city and deposited at the Guildhall. The magistrates issued a warrant for the apprehension of Sheward, who, on January 7th, was brought to Norwich, and appeared before the Bench on January 8th. He was described as a licensed victualler, of the Key and Castle public-house, St. Martin-at-Oak, and it was proved that he married his first wife, a Norfolk woman, who formerly lived at Wymondham, at Greenwich, on October 28th, 1836. In 1838 he came to Norwich, opened a pawnbroker’s shop in St. Giles’, and became bankrupt. When living in Tabernacle Street, in 1851, his wife suddenly disappeared, about the 9th or 10th of June. Upon this evidence the prisoner was remanded, and at subsequent hearings witnesses were called who deposed to finding various portions of human remains in different parts of the city and suburbs in the summer of 1851. Relatives of the deceased woman stated that the prisoner accounted for her disappearance by saying that she had left Norwich for a time. On February 1st the prisoner was fully committed for trial. At the Norwich Assizes, on March 29th, before Mr. Baron Pigott, Sheward was placed upon his trial, and on the second day of the hearing Mr. Metcalfe, Q.C., for the defence, contended that the accused was labouring under delusions when he made the confession. The jury, after three-quarters of an hour private deliberation, returned a verdict of guilty, and the prisoner, who had nothing to say, was sentenced to death. Immediately after the trial anonymous letters were published in the London newspapers asserting the innocence of the prisoner; similar letters were addressed to the Magistrates’ Clerk at Norwich, and one communication actually purported to have been written by Mrs. Sheward herself. Efforts were made to obtain a commutation of sentence, on the ground of the long interval that had elapsed between the perpetration of the murder and the trial of the accused. These efforts, however, were of no avail, and the capital sentence was carried out by Calcraft at the City Gaol on April 20th. This was the first private execution that had taken place in Norwich. It was announced that on April 13th the culprit made a full confession of his crime, and gave detailed particulars of the manner in which he had disposed of the body of the murdered woman. In a letter to his second wife he also admitted his guilt.
January 14th 1869
The trial of the election petition presented by Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett against the return of Sir Henry Josias Stracey, Bart., as member of Parliament for Norwich, commenced at the Shirehall, before Mr. Baron Martin. Counsel for the petitioner were Mr. Serjeant Ballantyne, Mr. Keane, Q.C., and Mr. Simms Reeve; and for the respondent, Mr. Rodwell, Q.C., Mr. Serjeant Sleigh, Mr. E. L. O’Malley, and Mr. J. C. C. Wyld. Bribery, treating, personation, and other matters were alleged. In his opening address, Mr. Ballantyne asserted “that the bribery was most profligate and most wholesale, and that houses were opened by persons of apparent respectability for the mere purpose of carrying out this bribery, and men of position who ought to have known a great deal better were concerned in it.” After three days’ hearing, the trial resulted in the unseating of Sir Henry Stracey. The learned judge, in his report to the Speaker of the House of Commons, stated that although no corrupt practice was proved to have been made with the knowledge or consent of any of the candidates, and, further, it was proved to his entire satisfaction that neither Sir Henry Stracey nor the other candidates at the said election had any personal knowledge of or connection whatever with bribery or any other illegal or corrupt practice, he had determined that Sir Henry Stracey was not duly elected, and that his election was rendered void by the acts of his agents. The persons reported for being guilty of corrupt practices were Robert Hardiment, Arthur Hunt, Robert Callow, and Thomas Hutchings. The first-named absconded after the petition was presented. It was also stated in the report that a number of persons went to the poll in a gross state of drunkenness. (_See_ April 1st.)
January 15th 1869
A trout weighing 15 lbs. was captured in a drop net near the New Mills, Norwich.
January 16th 1869
Messrs. Jolly and Son, coachbuilders, Norwich, advertised that they had “arranged to supply from a noted French maker the celebrated bicycle velocipede, so much in vogue in Paris.” The price of the machine was from 8 gs. upwards. On the 30th there was an editorial announcement to the effect that “an attempt is being made to introduce this latest novelty in locomotive machinery, now so fashionable in Paris, to the Norwich public, by Mr. C. Thorn, who has two at his establishment, for the inspection of the curious.” The “first velocipede journey of any considerable distance from Norwich” was performed on March 30th by Mr. B. W. Jolly, who travelled from Norwich to Yarmouth, including a stoppage of fifteen minutes at Acle, in 2 hours 30 minutes. “The progress of the traveller was considerably retarded by the roughness of the roads and a powerful gale.” A short time previously Mr. G. W. Bellamy, of Saxlingham, on a velocipede built by Messrs. Jolly and Son, but under much more favourable conditions as to roads and weather, accomplished a distance of 56 miles in 6 hours 25 minutes, exclusive of a short delay midway on the journey. A Norwich Velocipede Club was established in the month of April, and on the 29th an exhibition of the machines was held at the Corn Hall, under the management of Mr. Thorn. On the same occasion was exhibited “one of the old-fashioned dandy horses, the original or the velocipede tribe,” but, it was added, “the now velocipede is more easily managed.” The first velocipede races took place at the athletic sports of the Norwich Gymnastic Society, held on Newmarket Road Cricket Ground, on May 24th. A “slow race,” ridden by Messrs. Jolly, Griffiths, and Goldsmith, was won by the last-named. A “plank race,” in which the bicycles were ridden upon a seventy yards’ length of plank, was won by a competitor named Ewing. A one mile “fast race” was ridden in heats, the first of which was won by Kent, of Beccles, and the second by Bellamy. Kent was the winner of the final heat, in 4 minutes 49 seconds. “He came over on his bicycle from Beccles in the morning, and returned the same way after the sports.” By the end of the year there was a marked increase in the number of local cyclists. Accidents to inexperienced riders were frequently recorded, and many complaints were made by drivers of the alarm occasioned to horses by the appearance of these new-fangled machines.
January 16th 1869
The so-called monastic chapel erected at Elm Hill, Norwich, by Father Ignatius, was the subject of further discussion. Miss Robinson, a “lady preacher,” had hired the “monastery,” and named it the “Jehovah Jireh chapel,” whereupon Ignatius issued a notice warning her and others concerned that he was the owner of the building. On this date “Brother Philip” and one or two other members of the confraternity came to Norwich, under instructions from Ignatius, and demanded the keys of the building from Mr. Liddlelow, who refused to give them up unless authorised by his principal, Mr. Backhouse, surveyor, of Ipswich. At midnight on the 18th Ignatius, who had arrived in Norwich a few hours previously, with other brethren, gained access to the old sanctuary by, they asserted, miraculous intervention, and thence made their way to the new chapel. The police were sent for, and Ignatius was informed that he had no right there; as he declined to leave the building, the police refused to interfere. Mr. Liddlelow, on the 19th, applied to the magistrates for an order of ejectment, but as a question of right was involved, they would have nothing to do with the matter. On the same evening Ignatius performed service in the chapel, and stated, in the course of his address, that Miss Robinson had acted in the most honourable manner, but had been misled by others. He alluded to her as his “sister in Christ,” and Miss Robinson, who preached in the chapel on the evening of the 20th, spoke of Ignatius as her “brother in Christ.” Ignatius addressed the congregation at the close of the proceedings, and informed them that he should never allow the chapel to be used for any other purpose than that of monastic worship. “Although the members of Father Ignatius’ congregation and the members of Miss Robinson’s flock could not be more opposed in their mode of thought, yet the greatest harmony prevailed, and at the close they offered up the Lord’s Prayer in perfect unison.”
January 18th 1869
The new Cemetery at Diss was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. The total cost of the chapels, lodge, &c., was about £1,750, but this sum was exclusive of the price of the land.
February 5th 1869
Died, in his 87th year, at Norwich, Thomas Hurry, church bell-hanger, and for more than 50 years a member of the St. Peter Mancroft company of ringers.
February 12th 1869
A severe gale occurred on the Norfolk coast. The barque Try Again was lost off Yarmouth, and the crew saved by means of the rocket apparatus. Other vessels were wrecked, and several lives lost.
February 13th 1869
“We are sorry to learn that the Norfolk County Cricket Club has been brought to an untimely end. The officers of the club hold out no hope that it can be carried on, as the persistent apathy of those who call themselves members, many of whom have failed to pay their subscriptions, has left the treasurer with a large amount of debts and no hope of being able to meet them.” At a meeting held on the 17th, it was agreed by the Dereham Cricket Club to hire the ground hitherto let to the County Cricket Club.
March 5th 1869
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, a report was received from the Sewerage and Irrigation Committee, stating that an intimation had been made by the contractor for the construction of the intercepting sewers that he would be unable to proceed with his contract unless the Committee advanced him a sum of money. As neither the Committee nor the Board of Health had power to do so under the contract, proposals were made to the contractor (Mr. Wainwright), which resulted in the Committee taking possession of the works, materials, &c. The opinion was expressed that the Committee had acted with due consideration of the interests and safety of the public, and at the same time with consideration for the contractor, who appeared to have met with unforeseen difficulties in the prosecution of that part of the works in course of construction at Trowse, the soil there consisting of sand instead, as was supposed, of chalk. The Town Council, on March 16th, agreed that the contract with Mr. Wainwright be cancelled, upon payment to the parties entitled thereto of £2,800, in full satisfaction of all claims and for the purchase of plant and materials. On July 20th the Sewerage and Irrigation Committee reported that, in consequence of the nature of the soil through which so large a portion of the tunnelling had to be carried, and other unforeseen circumstances, the original estimate would be exceeded, but the ultimate cost of the works would not be more than £81,500, to be reduced to £78,500 by the sale of plant, &c. A description of the sewerage works was published on December 24th, from which it appeared that all the money authorised to be raised by Act of Parliament, £75,000, had been borrowed, and the greater part of it already expended. The whole of the high level sewer was completed on this date. It extended from the Ipswich Road, along Town Close Road, through Mount Pleasant Lane, across the fields and under Mill Hill Lane to West Pottergate street, Bedford Street, Opie Street, the Cattle Market, and King Street, to a point near Messrs. Morgan’s Brewery, where it joined the low level sewer, a distance of more than two and a half miles. Branch sewers had been laid in various directions. The low level sewer, from the New Mills, along Westwick Street, Charing Cross, St. Andrew’s, Prince’s Street, Tombland, Upper King Street, and along King Street to the gates had also been completed, a few short distances excepted. The work was carried out under the direction of the engineer, Mr. Morant, and of the Sewerage and Irrigation Committee, of which Mr. J. G. Johnson was chairman. (_See_ October 1st, 1872.)
March 9th 1869
Died at Torquay, Sir John P. Boileau, Bart., of Ketteringham Park. The eldest son of Mr. John Peter Boileau, he was born in 1794, educated at Eton and Merton College, Oxford, and in 1813 entered the Rifle Brigade, from which he retired in 1818. He married, in 1824, Lady Catherine Sarah Elliot, daughter of the first Earl of Minto, by whom he had two sons, Francis George Manningham, born in 1830, who succeeded to the baronetcy, and Edward William Pollin, born in 1831, and five daughters. Sir John was a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for the county of Norfolk, and served the office of High Sheriff in 1844. As a memorial to his wife, who died in 1862, he founded the Catherine ward in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. He was devoted to the pursuit of science and the arts, was a vice-president of the Society of Antiquaries, a Fellow of the Royal Society and of the Society of Artists, president of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, vice-president of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum, and a member of the committee of the Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival.
March 11th 1869
Prince’s Street chapel, Norwich, was re-opened, after having been re-arranged and improved, under the direction of Mr. Edward Boardman, architect, at the cost of £2,600. As originally planned, in 1819, it was a building of heavy and uninteresting appearance; the new designs by Mr. Boardman gave to it an imposing façade. The Rev. Newman Hall preached at the opening services.
March 12th 1869
A race took place between Joseph Tuck, a pedestrian, of Little Snoring, and a trotting pony belonging to Mr. Gutteridge. The match was for £40, the distance 500 yards, and the start was from scratch. Tuck had the race in hand the whole way, and passed the winning-post thirty yards ahead of the pony.
March 13th 1869
“Mr. Bunnett, of Norwich, has successfully undergone the necessary preliminary of the searching examination in music by Professor Sterndale Bennett. As a corollary of the examination, the exercise of Mr. Bunnett for the degree of Doctor in Music was performed in the chapel of Trinity College, Cambridge, on the 8th instant, in the presence of Professor Bennett, and produced a very good impression.”
March 16th 1869
The trial of the election petition against the return of the Hon. R. Bourke, one of the Conservative members for the borough, commenced at King’s Lynn, before Mr. Baron Martin. The petitioners alleged corrupt practices, treating, and intimidation. The hearing concluded on the 17th, when the Judge stated that he was clearly of opinion that the object of the petition had failed, and it would be his duty to report to the Speaker of the House of Commons that Mr. Bourke had been duly elected.
March 27th 1869
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Baron Pigott, Francis Howard Clare (42), shoemaker, was indicted for the wilful murder of his wife, Ann Frances Clare, on October 16th, 1868. The woman was found with her throat cut, and it was alleged that the prisoner had inflicted the wound. Mr. Metcalfe, for the defence, set up the theory of suicide, and the jury, adopting that view, returned a verdict of not guilty.
April 1st 1869
In the House of Commons a motion was agreed to for the appointment of a Royal Commission to inquire into alleged corrupt practices at Norwich at the last election of members to serve in Parliament. (_See_ August 21st.)
April 14th 1869
The Watton and Swaffham Railway Bill was considered by a Select Committee of the House of Commons. The company asked for powers to extend from Watton in the direction of Thetford the line of railway constructed between Swaffham and Watton. The Committee decided that the preamble had been proved. On June 25th a Select Committee of the House of Lords ordered the Bill to be reported to that House. The estimated cost of the construction of the line was £72,500; the capital proposed to be raised under the Bill was £80,000—£62,000 by shares, and the remaining £20,000 by borrowing powers. The line to Roudham was opened for passenger traffic on October 18th.
April 15th 1869
The Committee appointed by the House of Commons to investigate the condition of turnpike trusts considered the affairs of the Norfolk group. The Committee decided that the New Buckenham, the Norwich, Swaffham, and Mattishall, the Norwich and Watton, and the Thetford trusts be not continued, and that the Aylsham and Cromer trusts be continued.
May 12th 1869
Died at King’s Lynn, Mr. Charles Gill, “the well-known and highly respected lessee and manager of theatres in the East Anglian district, and talented comedian.” Mr. Gill had attained the age of 74 years, and left a daughter with whom he was about to proceed to Australia. In his earlier days Mr. Gill performed with the great Kean and many other eminent actors.
May 17th 1869
Loveday’s English Opera Company commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. Mdlle. Mariana and Miss Ella Collins made their first appearance in Norwich.
May 17th 1869
The hearing of the election petition against the return of the Hon. Frederick Walpole and Sir E. H. K. Lacon, as members for North Norfolk, commenced at the Shirehall, Norwich, before Mr. Justice Blackburn. The nominal petitioner was Mr. Edward Colman, merchant, of London, who alleged bribery, treating, undue influence, employment of roughs, illegal payment of travelling expenses, and, what was a novel feature in election inquiries, the employment of canvassers. Counsel for the petitioner were Mr. Serjeant Ballantyne and Mr. Littler, and for the respondents Mr. O’Malley, Q.C., Mr. Rodwell, Q.C., and Mr. Blofeld. The trial concluded on the 24th, when his lordship, in delivering judgment, said the petition had completely failed. Both members were duly elected, and in the present case there was no reason for departing from the rule that the petitioner must pay the costs.
May 24th 1869
The Queen’s birthday was observed in the usual manner at Norwich. A parade of the Royal Horse Artillery and the Volunteers took place. The event was officially observed on June 2nd, when the troops were reviewed on Mousehold; the Mayor and Mayoress entertained the aged poor at the Corn Hall, and gave a feast to the inmates of the Workhouse.
May 26th 1869
The foundation-stone of the new church of St. James’, Yarmouth, was laid by the Dean of Norwich. The church was partially opened on April 27th, 1870.
June 4th 1869
A crane was shot at South Pickenham. It was a young male, in good condition, measured 64 inches in length, and weighed 10½ lbs.; the expanse of its wings was 93 inches. On the 12th two were killed out of four seen at Burnham, and about the same time another was shot on the Thornham salt marshes. The occurrence of so many cranes in one year was remarkable, as not more than three or four specimens were known to have been procured in Norfolk during the preceding half century.
June 8th 1869
A great demonstration was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in opposition to the Irish Church Bill. The meeting was convened by the Norwich Conservative and Constitutional Association, and was presided over by Sir Samuel Bignold.
June 9th 1869
Died at Lugano, Switzerland, where he had gone for the benefit of his health, Mr. Charles Cory, Town Clerk of Great Yarmouth, aged 57. He was a son of Mr. Robert Cory, solicitor, a former Mayor of the borough, and was elected Town Clerk in 1851, in succession to Mr. J. Clowes. Mr. Charles Diver was elected to the vacant office on June 21st.
June 15th 1869
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, it was reported that new governors had been appointed under the amended Grammar School and Commercial School scheme. The Town Clerk, it was stated, had obtained for the Corporation the right of interfering in the trust, and had procured the adoption of the lists furnished by the Council. The principle obtained was an important one—that no body of trustees exercising a trust for the benefit of the city and neighbourhood should be allowed to make enormous and various changes in their government and management of the school, which was the property of the Council as much as theirs, without the sanction of the representative body.
June 24th 1869
The annual show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association commenced at Attleborough, and was continued on the 25th. The members’ dinner took place at the Corn Hall, and was presided over by the Hon. Thomas de Grey, M.P.
June 26th 1869
The annual camp of the 1st Administrative Battalion of Norfolk Volunteers was formed at Hunstanton Park. The Battalion was inspected by Lieut.-Col. Elliott, and the camp was struck on July 2nd.
July 7th 1869
The new dock at Lynn, completed at the cost of upwards of £80,000, was opened by the Prince of Wales, who was accompanied by the Princess of Wales. Their Royal Highnesses arrived by special train from London, and were received at the railway station by the Chairman of the Dock Company (Mr. L. W. Jarvis), the Mayor (Mr. J. Thorley), the members of Parliament for the borough, and others. Escorted by a troop of the 3rd (Prince of Wales’) Dragoons, from Colchester, the Prince and Princess proceeded to the Town Hall, where an address was read by the Recorder. After a visit to the Grammar School, where his Royal Highness presented the medal annually given by him to the head boy, the procession went to the Common Staithe Quay, where the twin screw steamer Mary, of London, was lying ready to receive the party on board. The band of the Grenadier Guards, under Mr. Dan Godfrey, played a selection of music as the vessel steamed down the Estuary Channel. Returning to the harbour, the Mary passed through the lock gate into the Dock basin, amid the loud cheers of the spectators, the playing of the National Anthem, and the ringing of the church bells. His Royal Highness having declared the Dock duly opened, said that it would thenceforth be called the Alexandra Dock. The Royal visitors and a distinguished company next proceeded to the Town Hall for luncheon. The Prince and Princess afterwards left for Sandringham. In the evening the town was illuminated, and a display of fireworks was given in the Tuesday Market Place.
July 8th 1869
After lying high and dry for upwards of nine weeks, the large screw steamer, Lady Flora, was launched from Caister beach. She was a first-class vessel, of 750 tons register, and 1,000 tons gross, 205 feet in length, 29 feet beam, and was valued at £16,000. On May 1st she ran hard and fast on the beach, in close contiguity to the dangerous shoal known as the Patch. Early in June the services of Mr. T. B. Carr, engineer, of Hull, were engaged by the underwriters, and efforts were made to get her off. The steamer had become embedded in the sand to the depth of eight feet, but by the aid of very powerful hydraulic cranes and other appliances, and assisted by 120 men, Mr. Carr succeeded in lifting the vessel four feet above the beach. In these operations upwards of £2,000 was expended. Three thousand persons assembled to witness the launch. When the blocks were knocked away the vessel, by her own weight, glided broadside off, and rolled in magnificent style into 4½ feet of water. Her draught (empty) was eight feet; as the tide rose she floated with it, and was towed to Hull for repair. On November 20th it was announced that the Lady Flora, which was then engaged in the Baltic trade, had been lost at sea.
July 16th 1869
In recognition of the great services he had rendered to the Norwich Battalion of Rifle Volunteers during the five years it was under his command, Col. Black was presented with a service of plate by the officers, non-commissioned officers, and members of the corps. Col. Black was succeeded in the command of the Battalion by Col. G. M. Boileau.
July 19th 1869
Robertson’s comedy, “Caste,” which marked a new era in the character of theatrical representation, was produced for the first time in Norwich, by a company which appeared at the Theatre Royal, under the management of Mr. Frederick Younge. The transition from sensational drama and broad farce to refined comedy was by no means appreciated by local playgoers, and the attendance during the week was unusually small even for Norwich. “School” was the other piece performed by the company, which comprised Mr. Frederick Younge, Mr. Craven, Mr. J. W. Ray, Mr. G. Canninge, Mr. Fortune, Mrs. E. Dyas, Miss Ada Dyas, and Miss Brunton.
July 21st 1869
Died at Saham, Mr. Jonas Silvanus Wright, aged 71. He was the author of “The Prodigal Son,” “Rambles in Wales,” and other poems.
August 12th 1869
A two days’ cricket match, between eleven of the South of England and twenty-two of Norfolk and Norwich, commenced on the Newmarket Road ground, Norwich. Scores: South of England, 33—161; Norfolk and Norwich, 172—124.
August 13th 1869
The advance party of the D Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, arrived at Norwich, and on the 16th the B Battery marched _en route_ to Ireland.
August 19th 1869
The Royal Commission appointed to inquire into the existence of corrupt practices at the last election of members to serve in Parliament for the city of Norwich commenced its sittings at the Shirehall, Norwich. The Commissioners were Mr. George Morley Dowdeswell, Q.C., Mr. Horatio Mansfield, and Mr. John Biron. On September 4th (the fifteenth day) the Court adjourned until the 27th, when the inquiry was resumed. Sir Henry Stracey was examined on October 9th (the 27th day), and Mr. J. H. Tillett on October 11th (the 29th day). The inquiry terminated on October 15th (the 32nd day). The Chief Commissioner acknowledged the assistance given by the police and the Guardians. “We feel,” he said, “that these bodies have rendered us most efficient and signal assistance, and we only wish that other officials in this city had also offered us that assistance, and that we had not experienced obstacles on their part. We fear that the encouragement which has been given by them to persons to withhold information has led to many of those spectacles which have been to us a source of signal pain in the course of our inquiry.” The Commissioners, in their report, dated February 15th, 1870, stated that corrupt practices did not extensively prevail in Norwich at the election in November, 1868; that Sir Henry Stracey was returned through such practices; and that corrupt practices did not extensively prevail at the election of 1865 or that of 1860. Several persons were scheduled for bribery and for corruptly influencing voters by treating. The Norwich Voters Disfranchisement Bill, by which it was proposed to disfranchise 119 electors, passed its second reading in the House of Commons on May 2nd, 1870, and received the Royal assent on July 4th in the same year. (_See_ January 31st, 1870.)
August 30th 1869
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, with an evening concert, at which the “Hymn of Praise” and “Acis and Galatea” were performed. The other works in the programme were the following:—Wednesday morning, September 1st, selection from “Hezekiah” and “The Fall of Babylon”; Thursday morning, September 2nd, Sacred Cantata, by Horace Hill, “Messe Solennelle” (first time of performance out of London), and the Dettingen Te Deum; Friday morning, September 3rd, “The Messiah.” Grand miscellaneous concerts were given on the evenings of August 31st and September 1st and 2nd. The principal vocalists were Mdlle. Tietjens, Mdlle. Ilma de Murska, Madame Talbot Cherer, Madame Patey, and Madame Trebelli Bettini, Mr. Vernon Rigby, Mr. Arthur Byron, Mr. W. H. Cummings, Signor Bettini, Signor Foli, and Mr. Santley. Mr. Benedict conducted. A “dress ball” took place on the evening of September 3rd. Financially the Festival was a failure, and the total receipts, about £4,000, barely covered expenses.
September 15th 1869
A Conservative banquet was held at the Town Hall, Great Yarmouth, to celebrate the return of the Hon. Frederick Walpole and Sir E. Lacon, Bart., as members for North Norfolk. Upwards of 1,000 electors of the Flegg Hundreds were present, and presented to Sir Edmund Lacon a piece of plate weighing nearly 900 ozs., in recognition of the services he had rendered during the period he represented Yarmouth in Parliament.
September 20th 1869
Blondin gave tight-rope performances at Norwich Theatre during the week commencing on this date.
September 30th 1869
An ascent was made from Norwich Market Place in a “fish balloon,” by Mr. Orton, accompanied by Mr. William Maris. The descent took place at Tuddenham, near East Dereham, a distance of fourteen miles from Norwich.
October 12th 1869
Died at his residence, the Royal Mews, Buckingham Palace, Mr. Bernard Bolingbroke Woodward, B.A. (Lond.), F.S.A., aged 53 years. He had for some years held the post of librarian to the Queen at Windsor Castle, and was the eldest son of Mr. Samuel Woodward, of Norwich.
October 16th 1869
“The mansion that Sir Robert Harvey, Bart., is erecting on his estate at Crown Point is approaching completion. It has been built from the designs of Messrs. Coe and Peake, architects, of London.”
October 18th 1869
The Prince of Wales, with his suite, passed through Norwich, on his way to Gunton Hall, on a visit to Lord Suffield.
October 19th 1869
A heavy gale took place at Yarmouth, where shipping casualties occurred and several lives were lost. The sea rose to within a few feet of the houses on the Marine Parade.
October 19th 1869
A week’s festivities commenced at Holkham Hall, in celebration of the majority of Viscount Coke, which his lordship attained in the previous month of July. The proceedings had been postponed in consequence of the illness of the Earl of Leicester.
October 20th 1869
Died at Thorpe Hamlet, in his 81st year, Mr. John Kitson, Registrar of the Diocese of Norwich. He had for 58 years held the office of secretary to the Bishop, having been appointed in 1811 by Bishop Bathurst, and continued in the office by his successors, Bishop Stanley, Bishop Hinds, and Bishop Pelham. Mr. Kitson was appointed Registrar in 1825, and was Chapter Clerk and Registrar to the Dean and Chapter, and district registrar in her Majesty’s Court of Probate.
November 1st 1869
That portion of Dereham Cemetery appropriated to the Church of England was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. The chapels were designed by Mr. Brown, architect, of Norwich, and built by Mr. Hubbard, of East Dereham. “The old churchyard is said to have been used as a burial-ground for 600 years.”
November 9th 1869
Mr. Augustus Frederick Coke Bolingbroke was elected Mayor, and Mr. Henry Morgan appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 12th 1869
A new self-righting lifeboat, 33 feet in length, was launched at Wells-next-the-Sea. It was purchased with the proceeds of “penny readings” given in various parts of the kingdom. The fund, which was inaugurated by Mr. E. B. Adams, surgeon, of Bungay, amounted to the sum of £500, and represented the contributions of eighteen different counties. Of this amount Norfolk raised £161. In the presence of several thousands of spectators, the Countess of Leicester christened the boat the Eliza Adams. Luncheon was served at the Crown Hotel, under the presidency of the Earl of Leicester, and in the evening a ball was held.
November 18th 1869
Died at his residence, St. Clement’s, Norwich, Mr. Henry Ladbrooke, landscape painter. He was a member of the accomplished family of Norfolk artists and a pupil of the celebrated Crome, the influence of whose style was apparent in his works. After residing many years in Lynn, he removed to Norwich.
November 20th 1869
“Mr. W. T. Bensly, LL.D., has been appointed by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich to be Chapter Clerk, in the place of the late Mr. Kitson.”
November 25th 1869
Mdlle. Christine Nilsson, Mdlle. Anna Drasdil, Madame Gilardoni, Signor Foli, and Mr. J. M. Wheli, with Mr. Benedict as conductor, appeared at a concert at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, on this and the following evening, in aid of the local charities, which had suffered from the non-success of the late Festival. The concerts were arranged by Mr. Howlett and Mr. C. S. Gilman, who handed to the charities a sum of nearly £200.
November 27th 1869
“The catch of herring last week was a most extraordinary and exceptional one, not only as regards the present season, but also as compared with those of the wonderful voyage of 1868. The quantities of herring delivered on Yarmouth fishwharf exceeded 2,400 lasts (13,200 fish per last), a catch probably unprecedented. Several of the smacks had ‘made up’ before the recent successes, being compelled to do so in consequence of the terrible disasters that had befallen them.”
December 7th 1869
Lord Claud Hamilton and Mr. Richard Young were nominated candidates for the representation of King’s Lynn, rendered vacant by Lord Stanley’s succession to the Earldom of Derby. The proceedings were of a most tumultuous character, and the show of hands being in favour of the Liberal candidate, the supporters of Lord Claud Hamilton demanded a poll. In apprehension of a disturbance, detachments of the 4th and 8th Foot were drafted into the town, and were stationed in the National Schoolroom, St. Margaret’s. The polling took place on the 8th, and resulted as follows:—Hamilton, 1,051; Young, 1,032.
December 13th 1869
Died at Westacre, aged 64, Mr. Anthony Hamond. He was the representative of a Norfolk family of considerable antiquity, and succeeded to the Westacre estate on the death of his father, Mr. Philip Hamond, in 1824. In 1828 he married Mary Anne, eldest daughter of Mr. John Chaworth Musters, of Colwick, Notts. He was succeeded in his estate by his son Anthony, born in 1834, Mr. Hamond served the office of High Sheriff in 1836, and twice unsuccessfully contested the representation of the Western Division of the county—in 1847 and 1852; and in 1854 accepted an invitation to become a candidate for Norwich, in opposition to Sir Samuel Bignold, by whom he was defeated. Mr. Hamond took a great interest in country pursuits, and was ever foremost in promoting experiments for the advancement of agricultural science.
December 14th 1869
Holkham church was re-opened after restoration by the Earl and Countess of Leicester, at the estimated cost of £10,000, of which £7,000 was expended for wood carving alone.
December 27th 1869
The Prince and Princess of Wales, with Prince Albert Victor and Prince George, arrived at Holkham, on a visit to the Earl and Countess of Leicester. Their Royal Highnesses left on January 1st, 1870, for Gunton Park.
December 27th 1869
The pantomime at Norwich Theatre was produced by Mr. J. F. Young. It was entitled, “The King of the Peacocks.” Circus entertainments were provided at Messrs. Henry and Adams’ establishment on the Castle Meadow.