January 2nd 1868
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, held at Norwich, Mr. Day, the County Treasurer, gave notice of his intention at the Easter Sessions, to resign that office, which he had held for thirty-three years. Mr. Day took leave of the Court on April 2nd, and Mr. Herbert William Day was elected in his place.
January 2nd 1868
Lord Suffield, at the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, moved the adoption of an address to her Majesty, expressing indignation at the Fenian outrages committed throughout the kingdom, and promising the hearty and vigorous co-operation of her Majesty’s loyal subjects in the county in supporting the Government in any efforts that might be made “to repress this odious conspiracy.” It was stated on January 11th that at Yarmouth precautions had been taken to prevent an outbreak in the borough. Each ward was under the special supervision of two magistrates; the store of gunpowder was removed from the outlying magazine at the North Battery to the South Battery, where a strong guard was stationed; and directions were given to the Artillery and Rifle Volunteers as to the course to be pursued in the event of their services being required.
January 14th 1868
The Norwich Churchmen’s Club was established at a meeting held at the Clerical Rooms. It was intended for “the self-culture and rational recreation of young men.” For some years afterwards the society continued to flourish, and was instrumental during the early period of its existence in introducing to the city several eminent lecturers on scientific and other subjects.
January 16th 1868
A remarkable seizure of about one hundred coombs of wheat was made at the New Mills, Norwich. This “mass of filth, one-tenth wheat and nine-tenths rats’ dung and maggots,” had been sent to the mills by Mr. Orlando Barnes, of Beeston, “for the purpose of being dressed for the preparation of human food.” The magistrates granted an order for its destruction, and on the 22nd and 23rd it was publicly burned in the Cattle Market. At the Norwich Police Court, on February 7th, Mr. Barnes was summoned for sending the wheat to the mills with the view of preparing it for human consumption, and was fined 40s. and costs. The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, on February 8th, discussed “the policy of destroying agricultural produce by any local authority under the Nuisances Removal Act, 1863, without sufficient proof of its unfitness for feeding or some other useful purpose.” A motion was adopted affirming that such a practice was impolitic. In the following week handbills were circulated calling upon the citizens to make an “indignation visit” to Mr. Barnes’ premises at Beeston on Sunday, February 16th. The Mayor issued notices warning all persons to abstain from taking part in the proposed proceedings, and the Chief Constable of the county (Col. Black) drafted to the district thirty police-officers and eight mounted inspectors and sergeants to prevent trespass upon the farm. Several thousands of persons visited the village during the afternoon, but a hostile demonstration was prevented.
January 18th 1868
The colours of the 54th (West Norfolk) Regiment, bearing the marks of the severe conflicts through which they had passed, were “laid up” at Norwich Cathedral. They were brought from Aldershot on the 17th, in charge of Capt. Shirecliff Parker, Lieut. Smart, Ensign Ibbetson, and two colour-sergeants, and were deposited for the night at the Guildhall. On the morning of the 18th the colours, escorted by the 15th Hussars, and preceded by the band of that regiment, were borne to the Cathedral. After Morning Prayer had been said, Lieut. Smart carried the Queen’s and Ensign Ibbetson the Regimental colour to the altar rails, and, kneeling, handed them to Canon Nisbet and Canon Heaviside, “who placed them leaning across the altar, one on the north and the other on the south side”; the National Anthem was played upon the organ, and the officers and escort, who wore their busbies, saluted. Canon Nisbet preached from Psalm xx., part of the 5th verse. The colours were subsequently placed in the positions they now occupy in the choir.
January 23rd 1868
A fire, involving the loss of three lives and the destruction of much valuable property, occurred at the house of Mr. Frederick Pigg, hosier and boot and shoe manufacturer, Market Row, Yarmouth. Mrs. Pigg, in heroically attempting to save her two children, was buried beneath the falling roof of the building, and the charred remains of the mother and infants were found the following day. The value of the property destroyed was about £3,500.
January 28th 1868
The first of the many long discussions upon the sewerage question during this year took place at a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, on a recommendation of the Sewerage Committee that a memorial from the citizens, praying for the introduction of the dry earth system, instead of an expensive scheme of drainage, be not adopted. It was decided that the works had progressed too far to admit of any reconsideration of the plans. On February 28th a large meeting of ratepayers was held at the Lecture Hall, St. Andrew’s, under the presidency of Sir Samuel Bignold, at which the following resolution was passed:—“That the Local Board of Health be respectfully requested to postpone the proposed drainage works, and that Messrs. Hay Gurney, Charles Foster, J. Davey, and W. H. Clabburn and the other promoters of the injunction be earnestly entreated not to interpose any obstacle to the Board’s compliance with this request.” The “injunctionists,” on March 2nd, received a deputation appointed by the meeting, and, after hearing their statements, Dr. Dalrymple replied on behalf of the relators in the suit that they were of opinion “the question of proceeding with the scheme of drainage did not rest with them but with the Town Council, and they were not prepared to take any steps which would prejudice their legal position for enforcing the purification of the river.” On March 10th a memorial was presented to the Town Council, urging that the drainage scheme in the then perplexity of sanitary science was “a speculation with the health of the city,” and that it was “stark madness to plunge into a gulf of unplumbed expenditure unwarned by the failures in other cities.” A motion was adopted authorising the Sewerage and Irrigation Committee to negotiate for a loan not exceeding £60,000, required for the construction of sewerage works. On the 17th a band paraded the city to attract the citizens to a common hall, at which resolutions were adopted affirming that the rates were too high and the trade of Norwich too depressed to warrant this costly experiment in drainage. The Town Council, on April 7th, entered into a contract with Messrs. Shrimpton and Co., of Uxbridge Road, London, for the construction of certain sewerage works, at the cost of £28,874; and it was agreed to take up at interest of the Hand-in-Hand Fire and Life Office the sum of £30,000, of which £20,000 was to be paid as soon as the necessary security was prepared, and the remaining £10,000 at the expiration of six months, at the rate of £4 15s. per cent. per annum. (_See_ March 5th, 1869.)
January 31st 1868
Died at Welborne, aged 100 years, Benjamin Tooley, “leaving a widow at the advanced age of 99.”
February 1st 1868
During the prevalence of a severe gale from W. and S.W., shipping casualties of a very serious character occurred off the coast of Norfolk, and inland considerable damage was done to property. Trees were uprooted, stacks overturned, and many houses partially unroofed.
February 6th 1868
A collision occurred off Happisburgh, between the screw steamer Swan, of and for Newcastle, and the paddle steamer Seagull, of Hull. The Seagull, which foundered, with the loss of a passenger, was valued at £15,000, and her cargo at £10,000.
February 13th 1868
During a run of the Norfolk and Suffolk Harriers over land at West Tofts, in the occupation of Mr. Colman, the hare was shot by a gamekeeper in the service of that gentleman. During the altercation which ensued Mr. Colman appeared, and blows were exchanged between the members of the Hunt and himself. Reinforcements came to Mr. Column’s assistance, and the engagement became general, the conflict ending in favour of the Hunt. At the Norfolk Assizes, on March 31st. before Mr. Baron Martin, was tried the action, Colman _v._ Larkman, in which the plaintiff claimed damages for injury done to his crops and fences and for being assaulted with a hunting-whip by the defendant. The special jury gave a verdict for the plaintiff, damages £50.
February 15th 1868
Died at his residence, St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, Mr. Arthur Dalrymple, who had held the office of Clerk of the Peace since 1856. He was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, a lover of science and art, and possessed a unique and valuable collection of Norfolk portraits.
February 19th 1868
In the Court of Exchequer, before the Lord Chief Baron, Messrs. Henry Morgan and others, as assignees of the estate and effects of Messrs. Riches and Watts, engineers, of Norwich, brought a claim against William Cafferata, engineer, of Newark, for the recovery of £5,000 damages which had been sustained by the estate of the bankrupts by reason of the explosion of a steam boiler which they purchased of the defendant and had supplied to Mr. Richard John Stark. It was warranted to be of the very best metal, but was really of inferior quality, and burst with disastrous consequences. The defendant accepted a verdict against himself of £2,000 damages.
February 20th 1868
Died at Portsmouth, Rear-Admiral Robert Sharpe, K.T.S., aged 76 years. A native of Tunstead, he entered the Navy in 1807, on board the Mars (Captain Lukin), and retired with the rank of Rear-Admiral in 1865. “Whilst in command of the Siska, he conducted the King of Musquito from Blasford to Belize to be crowned.”
March 8th 1868
Died at Thetford, in his 73rd year, Mr. Isaac Carr. He was described as “a veteran politician of the old school, who was deputed some two years since by Mr. Harvey, M.P., to compile a history of Thetford, which he had not completed at the time of his death.”
March 9th 1868
The ceremony of laying the foundation-stone of the new dock at Lynn was performed by Mrs. Jarvis, wife of Mr. L. W. Jarvis, chairman of the Dock Company. (_See_ July 7th, 1869.)
March 10th 1868
The first screw steamboat built in Norwich was launched from Field’s boatbuilding yard, Carrow Abbey. She was named the Alexandra, and was intended for passenger traffic on the local rivers. Mr. John Hart Boughen was the owner of the vessel.
March 10th 1868
Mr. Elijah Crosier Bailey was appointed Clerk of the Peace for the city and county of the city of Norwich.
March 10th 1868
The Norwich Town Council, on the motion of Mr. Field, adopted a resolution affirming the desirability of arranging with the Board of Guardians for the collection by one set of paid collectors of all the public rates within the corporate district of Norwich. On April 21st the Town Council adopted the report of a joint committee of the Corporation and the Guardians, who recommended that the corporate district be divided into eight districts; that the then four collectors be retained at the salary of £140 per year each; that four new collectors be appointed, at the salary of £100 a year each; that in future two poor rates be made yearly, namely, one in January and one in July, both of such rates to be collected in two instalments, the first in January and July, and the second in April and October; and that a like arrangement be made as to the making and collection of the rates of the Board of Health. This arrangement was known as the consolidation of the rates.
March 27th 1868
Died at North Creake, in his 71st year, the Ven. R. E. Hankinson, M.A., Archdeacon of Norwich. He was educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he took his B.A. degree in 1821, and was ordained in the same year by Bishop Bathurst, of Norwich. For some years he was minister of Well Walk Chapel, Hampstead; in 1847 was presented by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich to the incumbency of St. Margaret and St. Nicholas, King’s Lynn, which he held until 1863, when he was presented to the rectory of North Creake; and was appointed to the Archdeaconry of Norwich in 1857. He was succeeded by the Rev. Augustus Macdonald Hopper, honorary canon and rural dean, and proctor for the Archdeaconries of Norfolk and Norwich, who was collated on April 26th.
March 31st 1868
At the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, a meeting of the Conservative and Constitutional Association passed a resolution condemnatory of Mr. Gladstone’s resolutions on the Irish Church. Many meetings were held for the same purpose in different parts of the county, and on April 23rd the Norwich Diocesan Church Association recorded its protest against the measure.
April 8th 1868
A complimentary dinner, attended by about 150 gentlemen, was given to Lord Hastings at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, in recognition of the successful manner in which he had hunted the East Norfolk Foxhounds.
April 13th 1868
The English Grand Opera Company, managed by Mr. G. B. Loveday and Mr. Oliver Summers, commenced a season’s engagement at Norwich Theatre. Madame Haigh-Dyer was the _prima donna_, and Mr. Henry Haigh and Mr. Henry Rowland were members of the company. The works produced included “Un Ballo in Maschira,” “Fidelio,” “Masaniello,” “Faust,” “Lurline,” “Il Trovatore,” “Satanella,” “Rose of Castile,” and “Crown Diamonds.”
April 14th 1868
The headquarters of the 15th Hussars marched from Norwich Cavalry Barracks, _en route_ to York.
April 17th 1868
East Raynham church was re-opened, after restoration. The Marquis Townshend had entirely rebuilt the nave, at the cost of upwards of £4,000, and the rector, the Rev. R. Phayre, the chancel, at the cost of £1,000. The work was commenced in May, 1866, by the contractor, Mr. William Hubbard, of East Dereham.
April 25th 1868
Died at Ballycroy, Ballina, co. Mayo, where he had occupied an extensive farm, Mr. T. J. Birch, Judge of the Norfolk County Court circuit. The second son of Mr. Wyrley Birch, of Wretham Hall, he was born prior to the settlement of the family in the county. He was educated at Eton, and having graduated at Oxford, entered the Inner Temple, and was called to the Bar on November 18th, 1831. His first official connection with the county was as a magistrate and joint chairman of the Court of Quarter Sessions. After the passing of the first County Courts Act, the Liberal Government of the day appointed him, in March, 1847, to the judgeship of the Norfolk district. He was succeeded in his appointment by Mr. William Henry Cooke, Q.C., Recorder of Oxford.
May 1st 1868
Died at the South Kensington Hotel, London, Mr. Albemarle Cator, of Woodbastwick Hall, aged 55. He was one of the most prominent sportsmen in the county, was a Conservative in politics, and was upon the Commission of the Peace. In the year preceding his death he served the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk.
May 4th 1868
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, an address was adopted congratulating the Queen upon the failure of the attempted assassination of the Duke of Edinburgh.
May 25th 1868
The Queen’s birthday was observed at Norwich as a public holiday. The Rifle Volunteers fired a _feu de joie_ in the Market Place, and the Artillery Volunteers a salute on the Castle Hill. The Mayor’s _déjeuner_ at the Drill Hall was attended by 1,000 guests, and his entertainment at the Corn Hall by over 1,000 of the aged poor, among whom were an old lady aged 98 and her daughter aged 80.
May 30th 1868
Died at Thetford, Mr. Leonard Shelford Bidwell, aged 86. Mr. Bidwell had several times served the office of Mayor, was upon the Commission of the Peace for the county and for the borough, and was senior Alderman of the Corporation. In politics he was a Conservative, and had always given his support and influence to the house of Baring in the representation of the borough.
June 11th 1868
Died at his residence, Burrator, Devon, Sir James Brooke, K.C.B., Rajah of Sarawak.
June 13th 1868
The name of Lord Ranelagh, High Sheriff of the county, was brought into unpleasant prominence at Bow Street Police Court, during the hearing of a charge against Madame Rachel for fraudulently obtaining from a Mrs. Borradaile the sum of £1,000, upon pretence of making her “beautiful for ever.” Madame Rachel had informed her dupe that Lord Ranelagh had fallen desperately in love with her, and was ready to marry her “providing he had £1,400 for Volunteering purposes.” Lord Ranelagh emphatically denied having had anything to do in the matter further than that he had received letters from Mrs. Borradaile, and had suggested to her family that she should be taken care of, believing that she was under delusions.
June 13th 1868
Died at his residence, the Crescent, Norwich, in his 83rd year, Mr. J. N. V. Cooper, who was for more than 56 years clerk to the Governors of the Bethel Hospital.
June 18th 1868
In the House of Commons it was agreed, on the motion of Mr. Howes, that the three divisions of the county be thenceforth known as North, South, and West Norfolk, instead of “North Eastern, South Eastern, and West.”
June 18th 1868
The annual show of the Norfolk Agricultural Association commenced at Downham Market, and was continued on the 19th. Mr. W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst was President.
June 20th 1868
The Norwich Volunteers attended the review held by the Queen in Windsor Park. The Rifles, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Black, numbered 455; and the Artillery, under Capt. Barber, 111. Both corps mustered on Tombland at 5.30 a.m., left Thorpe Station at 6.15 a.m., and returned from Windsor the same day.
June 27th 1868
The 1st Administrative Battalion Norfolk Volunteers went into camp at Hunstanton Park, 500 strong, and remained under canvas until July 2nd. The battalion was inspected by Col. Boileau.
June 30th 1868
The Norwich Electoral Union selected Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett as Liberal candidate for the city, in view of the pending General Election.
July 23rd 1868
A two days’ cricket match commenced on the Lakenham Ground, Norwich, between a team of “Aboriginal Australians” and the Carrow Club. The Australians showed surprising skill with the bat, and in the first day’s play made 177, against the Carrow score of 82.
July 26th 1868
Died, Robert Monsey Rolfe, Baron Cranworth of Cranworth. His lordship was the eldest and only surviving son of the Rev. Edward Rolfe, and was born December 18th, 1790. His father, like his uncle, grandfather, and great grandfather, was a plain country clergyman, holding the livings of Cockley Cley and of Cranworth, and it was at the rectory house of the latter parish that he was born, and from which he selected his title just 60 years afterwards. His mother was a Miss Alexander, a granddaughter of Dr. Monsey, the physician of Chelsea Hospital. Having received his early education at Bury St. Edmund’s, he was transferred to Winchester College, and in due course proceeded to Cambridge, took his B.A. degree as 17th wrangler in 1812, and was elected to the Fellowship of Downing College. He entered Lincoln’s Inn, and was called to the Bar in 1816. One of his first public appointments was that of Recorder of Bury St. Edmund’s, and he more than once, as a Liberal, contested the representation of the borough against the powerful interest of the Marquis of Bristol. In 1832 he obtained a silk gown, and in the same year was returned to Parliament. On becoming Solicitor-General, in 1834, he received the honour of knighthood, and at the close of 1839 accepted a puisne judgeship as one of the Barons of Exchequer. In 1850 he was nominated a Vice-Chancellor, a post which, in the following year, he exchanged for that of a Justice of Appeal in Chancery, which he continued to hold until the Great Seal of the kingdom was entrusted to his hands by Lord Aberdeen, on the formation of the Coalition Cabinet in December, 1852. In the same year he was raised to the Peerage, and as Lord Cranworth again held the Great Seal in 1865–66. His lordship married Miss Carr, of Froghall Park, Hampstead.
July 27th 1868
Mr. Simmons ascended in his large balloon from the Victoria Gardens, Yarmouth, and descended at Caister. On August 6th he made an ascent from the Greenhill Gardens, Norwich, and descended in Horstead Park. Mr. Simmons, on August 13th, exhibited the balloon in Norwich Market Place, where, in a captive state, it made several ascents. The aeronaut, accompanied by Mr. William Maris, then ascended to the height of 10,000 feet in the space of two minutes, when the balloon drifted away in a north-easterly direction. The passengers made a perilous descent near the sea coast. They narrowly escaped with their lives by jumping out of the car, and the balloon, blown out to sea, fell into the water two and a half miles off Sheringham. The voyage from Norwich lasted only fifteen minutes.
July 29th 1868
A great Volunteer _fête_ and _al fresco_ entertainment took place in the grounds of Quebec House, East Dereham, the residence of Capt. Bulwer. The _fête_, which was attended by many hundreds of persons, was in aid of the funds of the corps.
July 31st 1868
Died at his residence, St. George’s Middle Street, Norwich, aged 75, the Rev. John Alexander, for nearly 50 years pastor of Prince’s Street chapel. “He was honoured and loved by his congregation as a kind-hearted, liberal-minded, and truly Christian gentleman.”
August 7th 1868
The dismounted party of the B and C Batteries, Royal Horse Artillery, arrived by rail at Norwich. The mounted portion marched in on the 13th, under the command of Major H. P. Bishop.
August 8th 1868
“The death, of Mr. George Cattermole, the well-known artist, is announced. He was born at Dickleburgh, near Diss, in 1800. At an early age he acquired proficiency as a draughtsman, and some of the most elaborate drawings in Britton’s ‘Cathedrals’ emanate from him.”
August 8th 1868
Chang, the Chinese giant, was exhibited at the Lecture Hall, St. Andrew’s, Norwich. “He is between 8½ ft and 9 ft. high, and his natural suavity of manner is very agreeable to those he meets.”
August 10th 1868
The Grand English Opera and Ballet Company appeared at Norwich Theatre. The _artistes_, included Miss Annie Thirlwall, Miss Blanch Cole, Miss Fanny Rowland, Mr. William Parkinson, Mr. Aynsley Cook, Mr. Eugene Corri, Mr. Charles Durand, &c. In the company’s repertory were “Un Ballo in Maschira,” “Faust,” and a _ballet divertissement_, in which the sisters Louie and Marie Smithers appeared.
August 19th 1868
The British Association for the Advancement of Science commenced its thirty-eighth congress at Norwich. The General Committee met at St. Pater’s Hall in the morning, and in the evening the President, Mr. J. D. Hooker, F.R.S., D.C.L., delivered his inaugural address, at the Drill Hall. The various sections were presided over by the following gentlemen:—Mathematical and Physical Science, Professor Tyndall, LL.D., F.R.S.; Chemical Science, Professor Frankland, F.R.S.; Geology, Mr. R. A. C. Godwin Austen, F.R.S., F.G.S.; Biology, the Rev. J. M. Berkeley, M.A., F.R.S.; Geography and Ethnology, Capt. Richards, F.R.S., Hydrographer to the Royal Navy; Economic Science and Statistics, Mr. Samuel Brown, President of the Society of Actuaries; Mechanical Science, Mr. G. Bidder, C.E. On the 22nd the members were invited to Crown Point by Mr. R. J. H. Harvey and Lady Henrietta Harvey. The concluding meeting was held at St. Peter’s Hall on the 26th, after which excursions were made to Lynn, Hunstanton, Wolterton, Walsingham, Burgh Castle, and Holkham Hall, where the members were entertained by the Earl of Leicester. The International Congress of Prehistoric Archæology, presided over by Sir John Lubbock, was held simultaneously with the gathering of the British Association. Its meetings took place at the Public Library.
August 19th 1868
Died at his residence, Craven Hill Gardens, Bayswater, General Sir George Petre Wymer, K.C.B., Colonel of the 107th Regiment. He was a son of Mr. George Wymer, of Reepham, where he was born on August 19th, 1788. Educated at North Walsham, he entered the military service of the East India Company in August, 1804, served in Lord Lake’s campaign of 1805, and throughout the Nepaul War in 1814–15. In 1840 he joined the army under Sir William Nott at Candahar, and was present during the investment of that city. He was appointed brigadier, and in command of the First Brigade of the Candahar Force saw much active service. In 1842 he was appointed _aide-de-camp_ to the Queen, in recognition of his services in Afghanistan, and in 1857 he was made a K.C.B. for his military services in India. His military career extended over 64 years. General Wymer married, in 1833, a daughter of Sir C. F. Crespigny.
September 4th 1868
A new lifeboat, built at the cost of £1,000 subscribed to the National Lifeboat Institution by Mr. Benjamin Bond Cabbell, of Cromer Hall, was launched at Cromer. Mr. Bond Cabbell also provided all the necessary appliances, the transport carriage, and the boat-house. The Bishop of the diocese delivered an address at the launch, and the ceremony of christening the boat by the name of Benjamin Bond Cabbell was performed by Miss Buxton.
September 7th 1868
Died, Francis Baring, third Baron Ashburton. His lordship was second son of Alexander, first Baron, by his wife Anne Louisa, eldest daughter of Mr. W. Bingham, of Philadelphia. He was born on May 20th, 1800, and married in January, 1831, Mdlle. Claire Hortense, daughter of the Duke de Bassano, by whom he left issue Alexander, his successor in the title, and formerly Member of Parliament for Thetford, the Hon. Denzil Hugh Baring, and an only daughter, Mary Louisa Anne, married to the Duke of Grafton. Previously to his accession to the family honours, the deceased nobleman represented Thetford in Parliament, namely, from 1832 to 1841, and from July, 1848, to December, 1857. He was a Conservative in politics, but, like his father and brother, was moderate in his views, and generally voted with the class of politicians formerly known as “Peelites.”
September 10th 1868
Died at Westgate House, near Bury St. Edmund’s, Rear-Admiral Sir William Legge George Hoste. He was the eldest son of Sir William Hoste (who was created baronet in 1814 for his naval services, but particularly for the victory he gained over the combined French and Italian squadrons off the island of Lessa in 1811), and Lady Harriett, third daughter of Horatio, second Earl of Orford. Born on March 19th, 1818, he succeeded to the baronetcy on the death of his father, in December, 1828. He was Gentleman Usher to Queen Adelaide from 1845 to 1849, and was appointed Groom-in-Waiting to Queen Victoria in 1860.
October 21st 1868
Died, from the effects of an accident, caused by a fall from his horse whilst riding from Cringleford to Earlham, Mr. Charles Evans, barrister-at-law, and Chancellor for the Diocese of Norwich. Mr. Evans was born at Harrow in 1798, and was the eldest son of the Rev. Benjamin Evans, formerly a Fellow of Pembroke College, Cambridge, and for many years assistant-master at Harrow School. After remaining a short time at Eton, he proceeded to Pembroke College, where he took his degree in 1819, as twelfth wrangler, and was afterwards elected a Fellow. On being called to the Bar Mr. Evans joined the Norfolk Circuit, and in 1824 settled in Norwich, where he practised to the time of his death. In 1845 he was appointed by Bishop Stanley to the Chancellorship of the diocese. He was acting judge of the Court of Record, Chairman of the Board of Guardians, to which office he was elected on the passing of the new Act in 1863; president of the directors of the Norwich Union Office, a magistrate of the city, chairman of the Governors of the Grammar School, &c. Mr. Evans married in 1829 Emily, daughter of Mr. George Morse, of Catton, by whom he left eight children—five sons and three daughters.
October 31st 1868
The Earl of Leicester presided at a meeting of the inhabitants of the county and city, held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, “for the purpose of bringing the affairs of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital before the public.” Resolutions were adopted affirming that the resources of the institution were inadequate to meet the annual expenditure, and as a means of increasing the revenue it was desirable “that on one Sunday at least in every year, as far as possible on the same Sunday, collections be made for the benefit of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital in places of worship throughout the diocese, where such collections shall not interfere with the claims of other hospitals.” As the resources of the Hospital were heavily drawn upon by casualty cases, a separate fund called the Accident Fund was established.
November 9th 1868
Mr. Edward Kerrison Harvey was elected Mayor and Mr. John Robison appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 15th 1868
For the second time since its erection in 1857–8, the Britannia pier at Yarmouth was partially destroyed. Built at the cost of £6,000, it was originally 750 feet in length. On October 25th, 1859, during a tremendous gale, a sloop, driven from her anchors, was dashed upon the pier and divided it into two portions. It was deemed advisable not to rebuild the severed portion, 80 feet in length, and the terminal portion was subsequently removed. During a heavy north-east gale on this date the schooner Seagull, of Lynn, parted from her anchors, and, drifting towards land, struck against the north side of the pier. The crew of six hands speedily scrambled upon the structure and escaped, but about 105 feet of the centre portion of the pier was completely torn away and damage done to the amount of nearly £1,000.
November 16th 1868
The nomination of candidates for Norwich, to be elected under the new Reform Act, took place at the Guildhall. The Liberal candidates were Col. Sir William Russell, Bart., C.B., Charlton Park, Charlton Kings, Gloucester, and Mr. Jacob Henry Tillett; and the Conservative candidates Sir Henry Josias Stracey, Bart., of Rackheath, who had been selected about a fortnight previously. The show of hands was in favour of the Liberals, and Sir Samuel Bignold demanded a poll, which was opened on the 17th “at 29 polling places most conveniently arranged in the different wards.” The pronouncement of the electorate at this election was upon the Irish Church, and at Norwich, as elsewhere, a severe contest resulted. The poll closed at four o’clock with the return of Sir William Russell and Sir Henry Stracey, the figures being officially declared on the 18th as follow:—Stracey, 4,521; Russell, 4,509; Tillett, 4,364. Sir Henry Stracey, accompanied by Lady Stracey, on the morning of the 18th was escorted from Rackheath Park to Norwich, by his mounted tenantry, and received at Magdalene Gates by an imposing procession of Conservative electors, who, amid the playing of brass bands and the ringing of St. Peter Mancroft bells, accompanied him to the Guildhall. After the declaration the procession, half a mile in length, marched through the city. Mr. Tillett, in an address to the electors, stated: “The Tory party have, beyond all precedent, and in the most undisguised manner, committed themselves to the disgrace involved in the wholesale purchase of votes.” (_See_ January 14th, 1869.)
November 16th 1868
The nomination of representatives to serve in Parliament for the Western Division of the county took place at Swaffham, when Sir William Bagge, Bart., and the Hon. Thomas de Grey were re-elected without opposition.
November 17th 1868
The nomination of candidates for the borough took place at King’s Lynn. Lord Stanley and the Hon. Robert Bourke were nominated by the Conservatives, and Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, Bart., by the Liberals. The poll was opened on the 18th, and resulted as follows:—Stanley, 1,265; Bourke, 1,125; Buxton, 1,012. (_See_ March 16th, 1869.)
November 17th 1868
Died at his residence, Surrey Street, Norwich, in his 82nd year, Mr. Thomas Brightwell. A native of Ipswich, he married the only daughter of Mr. W. M. Wilkin, of Costessey, and settled in Norwich, where he resided for 60 years, and practised as a solicitor. An earnest Nonconformist, he joined the congregation which assembled at the Old Meeting in St. Clement’s, where to the close of his life he officiated as one of the deacons. He was the author of a work on the Pentateuch, and his intellectual attainments and scientific pursuits gained him admission into the circle which included William Taylor, Doctors Sayers, Martineau, Rigby, and Barrow, Sir James Smith, and other Norwich celebrities. Men bearing historic names, and of widely different sentiments, had from time to time been entertained beneath his roof—Williams, Dr. Gary, Moffat, Doctors Philip and Wolff, of missionary fame; Joseph Kinghorn, the eloquent Irving, Belzoni, the Egyptian explorer; Professor Sedgwick, George Borrow, and many others who had done good service in the cause of religion, literature, and science. A close observer of nature, Mr. Brightwell gave much of his time to entomology, and a fine collection of insects in the Norfolk and Norwich Museum was formed by him. But the study to which, in his later years, he devoted especial attention was that of Infusoria. A treatise upon Infusoria, illustrated from drawings by his daughter, was written by Mr. Brightwell and printed for private circulation. At the Norwich Congress of the British Association, of which he was a vice-president, he was greatly amused by the anxious and ineffectual endeavours made by several of the scientific men present to procure copies of the work, then out of print. In 1821 Mr. Brightwell became a Fellow of the Linnæan Society, and he also rendered considerable assistance in the formation of the Norfolk and Norwich Literary Institution and of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum.
November 21st 1868
The nomination of candidates for South Norfolk took place at the Shirehall, Norwich. The Conservative candidates were Mr. Edward Howes, of Morningthorpe, and Mr. Clare Sewell Read, of Honingham Thorpe. Mr. Henry Lombard Hudson, of Harleston, was nominated by the Liberals. The polling, on the 24th, resulted as follows: Read, 3,097; Howes, 3,055; Hudson, 1,679.
November 23rd 1868
The following gentlemen were nominated at Aylsham to contest the new constituency of North Norfolk:—Sir Edmund Knowles Lacon, Bart., and the Hon. Frederick Walpole, Conservatives; Mr. Edward Robert Wodehouse and Mr. Robert T. Gurdon, Liberals. The polling took place on the 26th, at nine polling-places—Aylsham, Cromer, Holt, North Walsham, Ormesby, Reepham, Stalham, Wells, and Yarmouth. The official declaration was made at Aylsham on the 28th, as follows:—Walpole, 2,630; Lacon, 2,563; Wodehouse, 2,235; Gurdon, 2,078. (_See_ May 17th, 1869.)
December 19th 1868
“A club bearing the name of the Norwich Football Club has been started, and has already begun to play upon the Norfolk and Norwich Cricket Ground. Mr. Croker has been elected president, and Mr. Edward A. Field treasurer and secretary.” The members made their public _début_ on February 5th, 1869, in a match against King Edward VI. School. (This is the first reference to football, as distinct from the old game of camp ball, made in the columns of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE.)
December 26th 1868
The pantomime produced at Norwich Theatre was entitled “The White Fawn, or the Loves of Buttercup and Daisy and the Fairies of the Coral Lake.” At Wombwell’s Menagerie (then owned by Mr. Fairgrieve, of Edinburgh) was exhibited, “Prince Bonta Workey, son of the late King Theodore, who held levées in his grand state saloon at stated intervals during the day.”
December 26th 1868
Died at his residence, Chapel Field Road, Norwich, Mr. Trivet Allcock, in his 80th year. “He was an active politician and staunch Liberal, and had associated in his earlier life with men like William Taylor and others, whose superior learning formerly made Norwich celebrated.”