January 6th 1866
At a meeting of the Norfolk Agricultural Association, held at the Swan Hotel, Norwich, it was decided to abandon the annual show for that year, “because the bringing of cattle from all parts of the country would be inconsistent with what is being done to prevent the transit of cattle during the prevalence of the cattle plague.”
January 8th 1866
The Prince and Princess of Wales, accompanied by the Hon. T. de Grey, arrived at Holkham, on a visit to the Earl and Countess of Leicester. “Their Royal Highnesses _de facto_ opened the new line of the West Norfolk Junction Railway, which had been pushed forward by the contractor so as to be ready for the purpose.” It was by this line that the Prince and Princess travelled to Holkham. Their Royal Highnesses returned to Sandringham on the 13th.
January 11th 1866
The first wintry weather of the season was experienced on this date, when there was a considerable fall of snow, accompanied by showers of rain and sleet, followed by a sharp wind frost. Telegraphic communication with London was suspended, in consequence of the blowing down of several miles of the telegraph line.
January 11th 1866
Lost in the Bay of Biscay, by the wreck of the steamship London, on her voyage to Australia, the Rev. John Woolley, D.C.L., formerly headmaster of Norwich Grammar School, Fellow of University College, Oxford, and principal and professor of classics and logic in the University of Sydney. Mr. G. V. Brooke, the actor, formerly a member of the Norwich Company, went down in the same ill-fated vessel.
January 13th 1866
The new building, then known as the Consolidated Bank, London Street, Norwich, was opened for the transaction of business. It was designed by Mr. R. M. Phipson, of Norwich and Ipswich, and built by Mr. Hall, of Pottergate Street, at the cost of £4,000. It is now known as the National Provincial Bank.
January 13th 1866
A vessel running through Yarmouth Roads was observed to be flying a “waif.” Two lifeboats, the Rescuer, belonging to the Ranger Company, and the Friend of All Nations, the property of the Young Company of Beachmen, put off to her assistance. The Rescuer, in attempting to pass through the rough water at the bar, unshipped her rudder, was capsized, and twelve of her crew of sixteen were drowned.
January 15th 1866
Judgment was given in the Arches Court by Dr. Lushington, in the action, Edwards and Mann _v._ Hatton, otherwise known as the “Mattishall Church Rate case.” The plaintiffs were the churchwardens, and the defendant a parishioner of Mattishall. Hatton having refused to pay the Church Rate, proceedings were taken in the Arches Court to enforce it. The whole sum in dispute was 6s. 8d., but it had given rise to many months of litigation, to much unpleasantness and ill-feeling in the parish, and to rioting and disturbance. Two objections were urged against the rate: (1) That proper notice had not been given on the church doors, as provided by the Act of Parliament; and (2) that the rate was unequal and unjust. The Court entered judgment for the churchwardens, and condemned the defendant in the costs of the protracted proceedings.
February 1st 1866
Under the Prisons Act, 1865, the old borough jail at Lynn ceased to be used as a prison.
February 2nd 1866
Mr. F. W. Windham, who for five or six years had enjoyed unenviable notoriety, died suddenly at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich. He had been unwell for several days, and was seen by his medical attendant, Mr. F. C. Bailey, on January 31st. Mr. Windham became better on February 1st, and still further improvement was manifested on the 2nd; but later in the day his symptoms were completely altered, and became so alarming that Mr. Bailey called in Dr. Bateman and Dr. Eade. Every effort was made to restore animation, but without avail; this victim of an ill-spent life gradually sank, and in a few hours expired, in the presence of the medical men and of some of the servants of the hotel. Death was due to the obstruction of the circulation by a clot of blood in the pulmonary artery. On the 7th the body was removed to Tucker’s Hotel, Cromer, and the interment took place on the 8th, in the family vault at Felbrigg. Mr. Windham had completely dissipated the residue of the extensive property which he inherited, after payment of the law expenses contingent on the great suit, Windham _v._ Windham (_q.v._ November 22nd, 1861), and became dependent for a livelihood on the little income he made as driver of the Cromer coach. His uncle, General Windham, had made arrangements by which he was supplied with the means of living respectably. He had rooms at the Norfolk Hotel, but generally spent his time in one or other of the low public-houses in the city. The effect of his death was to deprive Mrs. Windham of the annuity granted on Mr. Windham’s life, and of any interest whatever in the Hanworth estate.
February 16th 1866
A case was heard at East Dereham Petty Sessions, in which the points urged in the Corn Hall litigation in 1857–58 were again brought prominently before the public. George Squire, a Lincolnshire merchant, was charged with assaulting Charles Howard, the keeper of the Corn Hall. He had paid twopence for admission, and Howard informed him that he ought to take a merchant’s ticket and hire a stand. In the course of the altercation, defendant took plaintiff by the collar and pinched his neck. Mr. J. C. Chittock, solicitor, on behalf of the defendant, contended that any person had a right to go into the hall, whether he paid for doing so or not, because at the Summer Assizes in 1857 the proprietors were indicted for obstructing a highway and a verdict was given for the Crown. The hall was built upon a highway known as Lion Hill, and Lion Hill had never ceased to be a highway. The Bench determined that they had no jurisdiction, and dismissed the case.
February 18th 1866
Died at Great Yarmouth, Mr. Isaac Preston, aged 92 years. One of the oldest inhabitants of the borough, he had, previous to the passing of the Municipal Reform Act, held several important offices in connection with the Corporation, and was twice Mayor. He was a justice of the peace and a deputy-lieutenant for the county, and was one of the promoters of the movement for the erection of the Nelson Column on the South Denes.
February 23rd 1866
A serious difficulty arose at Norwich, owing to the operation of the Cattle Diseases Prevention Act. A large number of dealers, apprehending that the provisions of the Act would not be enforced until the following week, sent stock to Norwich for the market on the 24th, or for transmission by rail to London. Two hundred fat beasts arrived at Trowse for conveyance, but the railway authorities refused to receive them. Salesmen on the Hill experienced the same difficulty, and dealers had to dispose of their cattle as best they could. Many beasts were sent to butchers for immediate slaughter; others were removed to Trowse. The Mayor (Mr. Nichols) went down on the 25th to see what help he could render, but the only way out of the difficulty was to send the animals to the Norwich slaughter-houses, whence the principal portion of the meat was forwarded to London. In order to obviate any further difficulty of the kind, the Norwich Town Council, on the 27th, resolved to erect slaughter-houses and to provide a dead meat market. The cattle plague continued with unabated virulence. Thursday, March 8th, was observed as a day of humiliation, business was suspended, and special services were held at the Cathedral and the parish churches. Similar services took place throughout the county. On June 30th it was announced, “Rinderpest is now nearly extinct in Norfolk and Suffolk”; and on October 13th it was stated: “The non-existence of the cattle plague in the county has rendered the work of the Central Committee and the Cattle Plague Association very light.” Norwich Cattle Market was re-opened on November 17th.
March 6th 1866
A dastardly attempt was made to destroy the church of St. Lawrence, Norwich. Mr. David Penrice, the churchwarden, accompanied by a lad, went to prepare the church for evening service, and found it to be full of gas. The lad, on endeavouring to open the windows, was overcome by the fumes. Assistance was obtained, and it was discovered that every burner in the church had been fully turned on. At the Police Court, on the 21st, a lad named George Nobbs, described as a shoemaker, of St. Martin-at-Oak, was charged with “wilfully and maliciously turning on the gas at St. Lawrence’ church, thereby endangering the lives of her Majesty’s subjects.” The offence was fully proved, but the magistrates dismissed the case, on the ground that “the lad did not show he had any knowledge of the consequences of the act.”
March 13th 1866
A boiler explosion occurred at the brewery of Messrs. Arnold and Wyatt, St. Margaret’s Plain, Norwich. William Whitworth, an engine driver, was killed, “his body being hurled into the beck containing six quarters of boiling wort.”
March 20th 1866
The hearing of the petition against the return of Sir E. H. K. Lacon and Mr. J. Goodson commenced, before a Committee of the House of Commons. Bribery, undue influence, and treating were alleged. The inquiry concluded on the 22nd, when the chairman (the Right Hon. J. R. Mowbray) announced that the Committee had arrived at the unanimous conclusion that the members had been duly elected. On April 12th Mr. Mowbray gave notice of his intention to move the appointment of a Royal Commission “to inquire into the corrupt practices which prevailed at the last election for Great Yarmouth.” The Commissioners, Mr. Wyndham Slade, Mr. Lucius Henry Fitzgerald, and Mr. George Russell, began their sittings at the Town Hall on August 16th, and on September 11th adjourned until October 3rd, on which day the proceedings recommenced. The final adjournment took place on October 15th, the thirty-fourth day of the inquiry. Six hundred and fifty-six witnesses were examined, and full investigations made as to the elections of 1865, 1859, and 1857. The Commissioners reported that corrupt and illegal practices extensively prevailed, and in consequence the borough was disfranchised.
March 27th 1866
The 13th Hussars marched from Norwich, _en route_ to Newcastle.
March 28th 1866
In the course of a civil action, Creake _v._ Smith, at the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Baron Martin, reference was made to “the science of Bibliomancy,” as practised by a “cunning woman” in the neighbourhood of Wells-next-the-Sea. The defendant, who was landlord of the Railway Hotel at Wells, had lost articles from his house, and had consulted the woman with the view of discovering the thief. A Bible was suspended by a string and made to revolve; during its revolutions the names of several suspected persons were called out, and it was alleged that it stopped on the name of the plaintiff being mentioned—a clear proof that he was the guilty person. The defendant returned to the hotel, alleged that Creake was a thief, “for he knew it by the turn of the Bible,” and dismissed him from his service. Hence these legal proceedings for slander and wrongful dismissal, which resulted in a verdict for the plaintiff on the first count, and for the defendant on the second count.
April 2nd 1866
Loveday’s English Grand Opera Company commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. The principals included Madame Florence Lancia, Mdlle. Ella Miraldi, Miss Annie Leng, Miss Fanny Leng, Mr. Brookhouse Bowler, Mr. Grantham, Mr. Oliver Summers, and Mr. Henry Rowland. The repertory included “La Somnambula,” “Il Trovatore,” “Don Giovanni,” “Faust,” “Dinorah,” “Der Frieschutz,” “Lucrezia Borgia,” “Norma,” and “Satanella.”
April 3rd 1866
Died at Hethel Hall, John Davy Brett, formerly major in the 17th Lancers, and lieut.-colonel of the 1st Norfolk Battalion of Volunteers, aged 51.
April 5th 1866
The marriage of the Right Hon. Charles Adolphus Murray, seventh Earl of Dunmore, and Lady Gertrude Coke, third daughter of the Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk, took place at Holkham. The ceremony was honoured by the presence of the Prince and Princess of Wales, who arrived at the Hall on the 4th, as the private guests of the Earl and Countess of Leicester.
April 9th 1866
Died at Chequers Court, Herts., aged 56, Lieut.-Col. Francis L’Estrange Astley, commandant of the Norfolk Militia Artillery. He was born in 1810, and married first in 1835, Charlotte, second daughter of Mr. N. Micklethwait, of Taverham; and secondly, in 1854, Rosalind Alicia, fifth daughter of Sir Robert Frankland Russell, Bart.
April 21st 1866
The Norwich sewerage scheme was further considered by the Town Council. A scheme known as the Hope scheme, introduced at a previous meeting, was abandoned, and the future management of the matter referred to a committee selected from members opposed to the scheme. On May 12th appeared the announcement that preliminary steps had been taken in Chancery by the inhabitants of Thorpe and a bill filed against the Mayor and Corporation for an injunction to compel them to desist from emptying sewage into the river. On May 15th a special committee reported that certain attempts made to cleanse the river had been attended with considerable success, and at the same meeting a memorial was presented by the inhabitants of the city, expressing regret and disappointment at the abandonment of the proposed plan for diverting the sewage from the river, and stating that under no circumstances whatever should the stream be made use of as a sewer. Acting upon counsel’s opinion, the Corporation, on May 31st, determined that it was needful at once to take measures for the diversion of the sewage from the river. The Sewerage Committee resigned, and a new committee was appointed. This committee, on July 10th, recommended the hiring “of 1,300 acres of land on the Crown Point estate, for the purpose of irrigating the same with the Norwich sewage.” The recommendation was agreed to. On October 9th the Town Clerk was authorised, under the direction of the Special Sewerage Committee, to give the necessary notices to enable application to be made in the next Session of Parliament for an Act of Parliament for carrying out sewerage works, and for the preparation of the necessary plans to be deposited in conformity with the Standing Orders of the House. (_See_ January 15th, 1867.)
April 22nd 1866
The Rev. John Alexander, minister of the Independent congregation meeting at Prince’s Street, Norwich, resigned the pastorate of the chapel, after a service of nearly half a century. Mr. Alexander came to Norwich on April 4th, 1817, and for a time officiated at the Tabernacle belonging to Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion. His small congregation next met at the Lancastrian School, and in order to retain his services they built the Prince’s Street chapel, where he ministered until the date of his resignation. He was succeeded by the Rev. G. S. Barrett, B.A., of the Lancashire Independent College.
April 24th 1866
Died at Coltishall Hall, Mr. William Burroughes. The younger son of a family seated in Norfolk for considerably more than one hundred years, he was educated at Norwich Grammar School “in the palmy Valpeian days,” and at St. John’s College, Cambridge. He was upon the commission of the peace for the county, chairman of the visiting justices, and joint secretary of the Norfolk Agricultural Association.
April 30th 1866
The Great Yarmouth Fish Wharves and Tramways Bill and the Great Yarmouth Haven, Port, and Rivers Bill, were before a Committee of the House of Commons. The first-named Bill went through Committee without opposition on May 7th, and the latter was ordered to be reported on May 28th. The Port and Haven Bill, among other matters, provided that the Commission should consist of thirteen members, namely, four for Yarmouth (two to be elected by the Corporation, one by the registered shipowners and payers of dues, and one by the owners of fishing vessels and payers of dues on fish); three elected by the justices of Norfolk; three by the justices of Suffolk; and three by the Corporation of Norwich, one of each set of Commissioners for Norfolk, Suffolk, and Norwich being a merchant residing and carrying on business within the district for which he was elected. (_See_ October 28th, 1867.)
May 2nd 1866
The organ at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, restored by Mr. Hedgeland, at the cost of £430, was used for the first time at commemorative services held at the church. The instrument was built by Renatus Harris, in 1707.
May 5th 1866
“Lord Suffield has been appointed Lieut.-Col. Commandant of the Norfolk Militia Artillery, in place of the late Col. Astley.”
May 11th 1866
Intelligence was received from London that the banking firm of Overend, Gurney, and Co. had been compelled, owing to the panic in the money market, to suspend payment. The announcement created great anxiety in Norwich, lest the firm of Messrs. Gurney and Co. were involved. Public confidence was restored by a notice issued by the firm, who stated that they were in no way liable, and were not affected by the affairs of Messrs. Overend, Gurney, and Co. A meeting of the citizens was at once convened at the Guildhall, under the presidency of the Mayor, and a resolution passed “declaring publicly and unhesitatingly its unbounded confidence in the house of Messrs. Gurneys and Birkbecks, and its unabated reliance on its perfect financial security.” (_See_ January 1st, 1869.)
May 23rd 1866
Mrs. Bulwer, wife of Capt. Bulwer, commanding the 15th (Dereham) Company of Rifle Volunteers, opened a new rifle range at Billingford by firing the first shot, in the presence of a large gathering of Volunteers and civilians.
May 24th 1866
The Queen’s birthday was celebrated at Norwich by a parade in Chapel Field of the 1st Norfolk Light Horse Volunteers and the Artillery and Rifle Volunteers. The Mayoress (Mrs. Nichols) laid the foundation-stone of the new Drill Hall, and after the ceremony luncheon was served at St. Andrew’s Hall.
May 24th 1866
The Norfolk and Norwich Gymnastic Society held their first annual sports on the Newmarket Road Cricket Ground. The programme included gymnastic exercises, boxing, high jumping, flat and hurdle racing, &c.
May 31st 1866
The new church at Thorpe St. Andrew was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. The site on the north side of the old church was given by Mr. William Birkbeck; the building was designed by Mr. Thomas Jeckyll, of Norwich and London, and the contractor and subcontractors were Mr. Cornish, of North Walsham; Mr. J. W. Lacey and Mr. Rust, of Norwich. The estimated cost of the work was £4,000.
June 1st 1866
The Marquis of Hartington having stated in the House of Commons that as the troops would be accommodated in the new barracks at Colchester, the Government intended to give up the Cavalry Barracks at Norwich, and the lease having expired, the buildings would be handed over to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, to whom they belonged, a meeting of citizens was held at the Guildhall, at which a resolution was passed asking the authorities to reconsider their determination. A deputation consisting of the Earl of Leicester, the Earl of Albemarle, Lord Suffield, the members of Parliament for the city, and other gentlemen, waited upon Lord Hartington at the War Office on June 14th, and on July 7th it was announced that, after due consideration, the authorities had decided to continue the barracks at Norwich.
June 6th 1866
Earl Fortesque attended at the Free Library, Norwich, and presented the prizes awarded under the Cambridge Prize Scheme.
July 11th 1866
Lord Stanley, on his appointment as Foreign Secretary in the new Conservative Administration, was re-elected without opposition member of Parliament for the borough of King’s Lynn.
July 16th 1866
A meeting was held at the Rampant Horse Hotel, Norwich, to consider what steps should be taken to prevent the intended closing of Victoria Station, under the Great Eastern Railway (Additional Powers) Bill. A memorial was addressed to the Town Council, calling attention to the fact that this was the fourth attempt made by the company to close the terminus, and that by the Act of Parliament which sanctioned the amalgamation of the Eastern Union with the Eastern Counties Railway a special clause was inserted for the sufficient maintenance of the station. On these grounds the Corporation were asked to oppose the Bill. At a meeting of the Town Council on the 17th, a letter was read from the company, in which they offered, in consideration of being permitted to close the station, to contribute £1,000 towards the improvement of Foundry Bridge. The Council were not prepared to accede to the proposition. When the Company’s Bill was before the Committee of the House of Commons, in March, 1867, the clause providing for the abandonment of the station was disallowed.
July 19th 1866
St. Giles’ church, Norwich, was re-opened, after extensive restoration. A new chancel had also been built, and a new organ, costing £350, erected. The scheme included the widening of the street by the giving up of a portion of the churchyard. The restoration was carried out, under the direction of Mr. R. M. Phipson, by Mr. J. W. Lacey, conjointly with Messrs. Atkins and Hawes. The total cost of the work was about £4,000, of which £1,000 was given by the rector (the Rev. W. N. Ripley).
July 25th 1866
The National Archery meeting commenced at Crown Point, Norwich, and was continued on the 26th and 27th. The show of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society was held in the grounds on the 26th (when the band of the 1st Life Guards was present), and a ball was given at St. Andrew’s Hall in the evening.
July 28th 1866
Died at Bramerton, in his 76th year, Mr. William Wilde, Coroner for Norwich. “In Mr. Wilde the city has lost an active and intelligent public officer and a useful citizen, and the Liberal party a most efficient agent. To his shrewdness, accurate judgment, and devotion to their interests, the Liberals of Norwich and elsewhere have been indebted for many a triumph.” Mr. Wilde was a member of the Court of Guardians, and for some time its chairman, and a member of the Festival Committee. He had been Coroner for thirty years.
July 31st 1866
A new lifeboat, named the Leicester, was launched at Gorleston. It was purchased by a fund amounting to £900 inaugurated by the Mayoress of Leicester (Mrs. Hodges), and was lodged in a new lifeboat house built at the cost of £250.
August 5th 1866
Died at his seat at Honingham, the Right Hon. and Rev. Lord Bayning. His lordship was the second son of Mr. Charles Townshend, who was created Baron Bayning in 1797, and succeeded his brother, Charles Frederick, as third Baron on August 2nd, 1823, when he assumed, by sign manual (in lieu of his patronymic, Townshend), the name of his maternal grandfather, William Powlett. Born on June 8th, 1797, he married, on August 9th, 1842, Emma, only daughter of Mr. W. H. Fellowes, of Ramsey Abbey, Huntingdon, by whom he had one son, who died twelve months previously to his lordship’s death, and the barony thus became extinct. Lord Bayning was educated at St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he graduated M.A. in 1818, and was appointed rector of Brome, Suffolk, in 1821, and rural dean in the diocese of Norwich in 1844. He resigned the rectory of Brome in 1847, and was appointed to the rectory of Honingham with the vicarage of East Tuddenham in 1851. His lordship was High Steward of Norwich Cathedral, Vice-President of the Norwich Diocesan Association for the Propagation of the Gospel, of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum, of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, and of the Institution for the Indigent Blind, and he was a trustee of the Norwich Savings Rank, &c. For some years he was treasurer and a most active promoter of the Diocesan Church Building Society.
August 6th 1866
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Mr. Edward S. Bignold was elected Coroner, in place of Mr. Wilde. In order to take the office, he resigned his seat in the Town Council, and was permitted to retire without paying the customary fine.
August 10th 1866
A new self-righting lifeboat was launched at Happisburgh. The vessel was presented to the National Lifeboat Institution by the people of Huddersfield, who contributed upwards of £1,000 for its purchase.
August 14th 1866
At the Norwich Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Erle and a special jury, was tried the libel action, Athill _v._ Soman. The declaration stated that the libel was published in a newspaper called the “Norwich Argus,” of which the defendant was the printer, and was contained in a letter signed “Honour Lingley,” dated November 25th, 1865. The writer accused Athill, a superintendent of police, of wrongfully ransacking her chests of linen at a house at Sprowston called the “Haunted Cottage,” at which disturbances had taken place, and where Athill had been present in the discharge of his official duties. The damages were laid at £500; the jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff, damages one farthing. Application was made on behalf of the plaintiff for costs, but his lordship held that “there was not a solitary instance of any personal malice or ill-will on the part of the defendant,” and refused it. The county magistrates subsequently contributed to a fund to defray the expenses of the plaintiff.
August 25th 1866
At the sale of the Lessingham House estate, by Messrs. Hewitt and Capon, at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, a portion of Surlingham Broad was purchased by Mr. R. Pratt, for £1,300. “The last time this lot was sold by public auction it fetched about £900.”
August 27th 1866
The Hon. Thomas de Grey, M.P., shooting on Blubberhouse Moor, made a bag of 215 brace of grouse, “a feat which has not met with its equal on any of the Yorkshire moors, nor on any other in England or Scotland.”
September 4th 1866
Died at the King and Miller Inn, Norfolk Street, Sheffield, of “mortification of the big toe,” William Pilch, the cricketer, formerly of Norwich, in his 69th year.
September 19th 1866
Died at Southsea, aged 80, General Sir William Robert Clayton, Bart., son of Sir William. Clayton, fourth baronet. He saw much service in the Peninsular campaign. On the death of his father, in 1834, he succeeded to the extensive patrimonial estates in Norfolk, Bucks., Surrey, and South Wales. Sir William’s Norfolk seat was White Hall, Saham Toney.
September 22nd 1866
“The Dean and Chapter of Norwich have offered to confer the office of Lord High Steward of the Cathedral Church, vacant by the death of Lord Bayning, on the Earl of Kimberley, and his lordship has signified to the Dean and Chapter his intention to accept the office. The grandfather and the great-grandfather of the present Earl have been Lord High Stewards of the Cathedral.”
September 25th 1866
Minnie Stratton, daughter of “General Tom Thumb” and Mrs. Stratton, died at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, and was, on the 26th, buried at the Cemetery. “Mr. and Mrs. Stratton were chief mourners, and there was a large number of spectators.”
September 25th 1866
A boiler explosion took place at the dye and chemical works of Messrs. Stark and Co., Duke’s Palace Street, Norwich. Three men (Taylor, Breeze, and Clarke) were killed on the spot, and three others died of their injuries. The Coroner’s jury found that the explosion was due to the defective construction of the boiler. At the Norwich Assizes, on March 27th, 1867, an action was brought by Mr. Stark against Messrs. Riches and Watts, for the recovery of damages. A verdict was given for plaintiff, the amount to be assessed by arbitration. (_See_ February 19th, 1868.)
October 6th 1866
The Norfolk Chamber of Agriculture, “to co-operate with the Central Chamber of Agriculture in watching over the measures affecting the agricultural interest,” was established at a meeting held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. C. S. Read, M.P. On October 20th Mr. Read was elected chairman, and Mr. Richard England vice-chairman.
October 13th 1866
Norwich Theatre was opened for the winter season, under the management of Mr. J. F. Young, who had previously managed, with success, the Yarmouth and Lynn Theatres.
October 13th 1866
Died at Great Chart Rectory, Kent, the Hon. and Very Rev. George Pellew, D.D., Dean of Norwich. He was third son of Admiral Sir Edward Pellew, afterwards Viscount Exmouth, and was born in Tregeny, Cornwall, in 1793. Educated at Eton and at Corpus Christi College, Oxford, where he took his B.A. degree in 1815 and his M.A. in 1818, he received holy orders in 1817, and in 1820 married the Hon. Frances Addington, second daughter of the first Viscount Sidmouth. In 1823 he was appointed to a canonry in Canterbury Cathedral, where he resided until his preferment to the Deanery of Norwich in 1828, on the death of Dean Turner. The degree of D.D. was conferred upon him in the same year, and in 1852 he was presented by the Archbishop of Canterbury to the living of Great Chart, which he held at the time of his death. Besides publishing “Sermons preached in Cathedral Churches on the Leading Doctrines of the Church of England” (1848), he wrote “The Seven Ages of a Christian’s Life” (1866) and a “Memoir of Lord Sidmouth” (1847). Dr. Pellew left three daughters and a son.
October 29th 1866
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced with an evening performance of “Israel in Egypt.” Miscellaneous concerts were given on the evenings of October 30th and 31st and November 1st. On the morning of October 31st were given an anthem by Spohr (the first time of performance) and “Naaman” (the first time of performance in Norwich), conducted by the composer, M. Costa; on the morning of November 1st, “Saint Cecilia” (composed expressly for the Festival), a selection from the Passion Music (the first time of performance “in any country”), and the first and second parts of “The Creation”; and on the morning of November 2nd, “The Messiah.” The principal performers were Mdlle. Tietjens, Madame Rudersdorff, Miss Edith Wynne, Mdlle. Sinico, Madame De Meric Lablache, Mdlle. Anna Drasdel, Mr. Sims Reeves, Mr. W. H. Cummings, Signor Morini, Mr. Santley, Mr. Weiss, and Signor Gassier. Mr. Benedict conducted. The Festival concluded with a “full dress” ball on the evening of November 2nd. The total receipts amounted to £5,783 11s., and the balance in favour of the committee to £971 7s. 3d.
October 30th 1866
The Prince and Princess of Wales, with her Majesty the Queen of Denmark and suite, left Sandringham, on a visit to Lord and Lady Stafford, at Costessey Park. They were accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, who had accepted the invitation of the High Sheriff (Mr. W. A. Tyssen Amhurst) to spend the Festival week in Norwich. The Royal party, who travelled by special train to East Dereham, where the Volunteers formed a guard of honour, were received by Lord Stafford and the Earl of Leicester at the station, whence they travelled by road to Costessey, and were enthusiastically greeted by a large gathering in the park. On the morning of the 31st the illustrious visitors, escorted by the 1st Norfolk Light Horse Volunteers, under Capt. Hay Gurney, proceeded to Norwich, and were received by the Mayor (Mr. W. P. Nichols), the Sheriff (Mr. W. J. Cubitt), and other civic dignitaries at the city boundary, and by members of the Corporation and Guardians and representatives of friendly societies, &c., at St. Giles’ Gates. At the Guildhall addresses were presented to the Prince and Princess and the Queen by the Corporation and by the Bishop and clergy of the diocese. The party then proceeded to St. Andrew’s Hall, to attend the Musical Festival. During the interval at the performance, the Mayor gave a luncheon in one of the rooms to the Prince and Princess, the Queen of Denmark, and their suite; and the Princess was presented by Miss C. M. Nichols, on behalf of the ladies of Norwich, with an album containing photographic views of the city, &c. Their Royal Highnesses then drove to Chapel Field and planted two trees, in commemoration of their visit, and the day’s proceedings ended with the opening, by the Prince of Wales, of the new Volunteer Drill Hall, the first stone of which was laid a few months previously by Mrs. Nichols, who was presented with a silver trowel designed for the occasion. A ball, preceded by a dinner, was given at Costessey in the evening. At the dinner the party comprised only the Prince and Princess, the Queen of Denmark, Lord and Lady Stafford, and Mr. and Mrs. Nichols. On November 1st the Royal party passed through Norwich, escorted by a squadron of the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards (from Colchester), on their way to Thorpe Station, whence they departed for Sandringham. The city was lavishly decorated in honour of the Royal visit, and on the night of the 30th there were illuminations and fireworks. The Duke of Edinburgh stayed with the High Sheriff at Mr. Firth’s house in St. Giles’ Street, where a distinguished company was invited to meet his Royal Highness.
November 5th 1866
A remarkable outrage was perpetrated at Little Walsingham church. A few minutes after the clerk had tolled the “curfew” bell, a violent explosion took place in the south transept. It was found that a charge of gunpowder had been placed beneath the organ and ignited by a train of cotton. The instrument, with the exception of the swell organ, was scattered to pieces, the south transept window entirely destroyed, and other windows seriously damaged. The organ was purchased in 1862, at the cost of £250, and the total amount of damage done by the explosion was about £300. A reward of £200 was offered for information that would lead to the conviction of the perpetrator of the outrage.
November 9th 1866
Mr. Frederick Elwin Watson was elected Mayor, and Mr. William Copeman Clabburn appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 16th 1866
Eight vessels were wrecked and five lives lost, on the Norfolk coast, between Mundesley and Palling.
November 17th 1866
A Bohemian waxwing (_Bombycilla garrulus_) was observed at Old Buckenham, and another was shot the same day near Thetford. By the first week of December the birdstuffers received at least 22 specimens, from Mutford, Worstead, Northrepps, St. Faith’s, Rollesby, Cawston Woodrow, Wroxham, and other districts. In the last week of December it was stated that more than one hundred specimens had been procured. “With the exception of one or two stragglers, this species has not been noticed here since 1863, when some sixteen specimens were killed in Norfolk.”
December 3rd 1866
A storm of terrific violence occurred off Yarmouth, and several ships were lost and men drowned. A new gas-holder of 100,000 cubic feet capacity, surrounded by massive iron columns, was blown over at Yarmouth Gas Works, and considerably damaged.
December 4th 1866
The Rev. Edward Meyrick Goulburn, D.D., incumbent of St. John’s, Paddington, was installed Dean of Norwich by the Rev. Canon Heaviside, in the absence of the Bishop of Norwich.
December 10th 1866
The Prince and Princess of Wales and the Duke of Edinburgh arrived, by rail, at Diss, whence the Prince and Princess proceeded to Oakley Park, on a visit to Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., M.P., and Lady Caroline Kerrison; and the Duke to Thornham Hall, on a visit to Baron and Lady Hartismere. Their Royal Highnesses returned to Sandringham on the 13th.
December 10th 1866
An extraordinary charge was preferred before the Walsingham magistrates, against Mr. Miles Brown, a large farmer, of Houghton St. Giles, and his brother, Mr. William Brown. It was alleged that they had exhibited in the window of a cottage in High Street, Walsingham, “an apparatus revolving before a light, and exhibiting in a glass behind an upright coffin, on the lid of which was a photograph of the Rev. Septimus Henry Lee Warner, such public exhibition being a threat on the part of the defendants to take away the life of the said complainant.” The defendants were bound over in the sum of £1,600 to keep the peace.
December 15th 1866
“The old lighthouse at Cromer, which had for so many years been a conspicuous object on the edge of the lofty hill, toppled over the other day, and was immediately buried by a great fall from the cliff, which followed it. It was first erected in the year 1719, and was lit by a coal fire until oil lamps with powerful reflectors were introduced.”
December 17th 1866
The Duke of Edinburgh arrived at Norwich, _en route_ to Gunton Park. Before proceeding on his journey, his Royal Highness visited the Cathedral.
December 25th 1866
Died at East Dereham, aged 65, Mr. William Drake, many years Conservative registration agent for West Norfolk.
December 26th 1866
The pantomime at Norwich Theatre, written by Mr. R. Soutar, was founded upon the story of the intrigue of Henry II. and Fair Rosamond.
December 31st 1866
A heavy fall of snow occurred, and the roads in many parts of the county were rendered impassable.
December 31st 1866
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Holkham, on a visit to the Earl and Countess of Leicester. “So considerable was the destruction of hares, rabbits, pheasants, &c., during the Royal visit that on one day 2 tons 19 cwt. of game were forwarded from Wells Station to Leadenhall Market.” The Prince, with the Duke of Edinburgh, who was also a guest of the Earl and Countess, left on January 10th, 1867, for Marham House, on a visit to Mr. and Mrs. Villebois.