The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1865 Bury Free Press newspaper archive

January 7th 1865

Advert. Ward and Silver respectfully invite attention to their large stock of improved cheap and efficient implements for which they have the highest testimonials from practical men. W and S solicit special attention to their new pattern rolls which are kept in stock. Estimations given for all kinds of iron work at the Manufactury, Long Melford , Sudbury, Suffolk.

January 7th 1855

Clare. It is rumoured that the steps are about to be taken for the removal of the pews in the church and benching it, this will be a great improvement on the pew system for many are kept away from church because they cannot be seated comfortably and it will do away with two or three monopolizing a pew for 8 to 10 people.
It is hoped this much needed work will be carried out and the galleries removed. Clare will then possess one of the finest interiors for worship in Suffolk.

January 7th 1865

At Sudbury Quarter Sessions held on Wednesday in the Town Hall after an interval of nine months, Sarah Moss, widow, was charged with stealing 4 blankets, 2 counterpanes, 2 bed ticks and several pieces of furniture the property of the Sudbury Union. 6 months hard labour.

January 14th 1865

Sudbury Quarter Sessions. James Gridley, an urchin of 13 years was charged with stealing a silver watch-3 watch keys-sixpenny piece and 2 brass guards, the property of William Shepherd Smith from his dwelling house in Glemsford. 
To prison for one month then reformatory for 3 years.

January 21st 1865

There was an accident on Tuesday night by which Mrs Hansel of the Rose and Crown at Sudbury lost a valuable horse
It appears the driver having been out with the brougham to Kentwell Hall at Melford, on his return, just past Melford Hare, two men in a cart coming the opposite way ran right into him, the shafts entered Mrs Hassel's horse's chest, killing it on the spot, the men were thrown out but coolly jumped up and drove off.
The name of these men are not yet learnt but the whole accident was witnessed by a gentleman's servant and we understand Mrs Hansel's man was not to blame.

January 28th 1865

A fatal accident occurred on the new railway line at Brundon cut near Sudbury on 19th inst, two labourers, William Finch and George Crosby, were at work filling wagons when a small quantity of earth fell on them.
Finch was caught in the pit of the stomach, in less than an 10 minutes he was a corpse, it is stated he was suffering from an organic disease and was not so robust as the other railway labourers otherwise a small quantity falling only 5 ½ feet would not have produced death. 
Deceased leaves a widow and two children. Accidental.

January 28th 1865

The high price of beef of late years arising from an increasing population and change in culinary habits of a large class of our countrymen has been much felt by persons of small means.
Considerable attention has been devoted to an article know as "jerked beef" which can be purchased in London at 3d a pound, it is not cheap and nasty but has for sometime past been a favourite dish of the wealthy.
It is well known in South America as leather is a great article of commerce and it is the custom to kill large quantities of beasts exclusively for leather. A large proportion of the carcase being wasted it was thought by some merchants that this beef might be acceptable in England, it is dried and imported in this dried state and can be testified to it's excellence in stews and soups and makes admirable food, it's nutritive qualities are far higher than salt beef and will tend to diminish the cost of home bred beef as a cheap and nourishing food is now required for the poorer classes.

February 4th 1865

John Brown, George Wells, Robert King, George Maylin and Charles Smith, boys of under 14 years were charged with cruelly and maliciously injuring sheep belonging to Mr Pratt Viall of Cavendish.
Brown pleaded guilty, the others not guilty. 
Mr Viall said that Brown, the smallest boy was not strong enough to damage the sheep. William Maxim, shepherd to Mr Viall, said when he left the sheep on Thursday the 5th at between 4 and 5 they were alright, at between 1 and 2 in the morning he went to them and found one sheep lame, he told his master then found another lamb lame and one sheep killed, I examined it and found it had considerable injuries on it's inside, it appeared to have had a sharp stick thrust into it's body. 
All the defendants work for Mr Viall, Wells, and Smith were discharged and Brown was fined 10s and King and Maylin 5s.

February 4th 1865

William Totman, labourer of Melford aged 65 was charged with stealing coal the property of Mr Francis Drake of the Cock and Bell Inn at Melford.
The prosecutor said the prisoner is employed by him to assist in the brewhouse, "I never gave him coals, I value them at 3d". P.C. Skinner said he was on duty in Melford street early on Wednesday morning when he heard footsteps crossing the road from the Cock and Bell, "I found prisoner and asked him what he had got, he said 'nothing', I said 'let me have a look' and he opened his apron and in it was coal, he begged me not to say anything and let him go."
7 days hard labour.

February 4th 1865

William Porter, labourer of Glemsford was charged with assaulting a boy named Henry Haylock in the employ of Joseph Byford of Melford.
Complainant said "I was watching rabbit traps in my master's field where defendant was working, a rabbit was in one trap, defendant went and got it out and hid it in a turnip heap, I took the rabbit, on seeing me defendant came and struck me."
 5s with 5s 6d costs.

February 11th 1865

It is not generally known that the title of Duke of Clarence is taken from the small town of Clare. Lionel the 3rd son of King Edward the 3rd who married Elizabeth the daughter of the sole heiress of William De Burgh, Earl of Ulster by Elizabeth de Clare had the title of Duke of Clarence given him . 
From the Court Journal.

February 18th 1865

Thomas Clements was charged with poaching on Park Farm, Melford on the 3rd inst, it appears that defendant and another man not known were riding on horse back on the high road to Lavenham having with them two greyhounds which they turned into a field called "10 acres" and hied them on apparently in search of a hare. 
£1 and 17s costs.

February 25th 1865

Advert. South American beef for sale at 4d a lb with directions on the packet at Fitch's 9 Corn Hill, Bury.

March 25th 1865

Bestiality at East Bergholt. 
Charles Chaplin, 21, labourer was charged with committing an unnatural offence at East Bergholt on the 7th of December last. 
After a lengthy trial he was found guilty and sentenced to 15 days hard labour.

April 15th 1865

Advert. Employers advertising for servants in this newspaper the charge is 1s 6d and servants wanting places, 1s.

April 15th 1865

Straw Platters in and around Bury may find sale for their plait at Mr Plum's, Mill Lane, Bury.

April 15th 1865

Clare and West Suffolk Building Society, established among enrolled pursuant to an act of Parliament. Shares of £50--£25--£10 to be realized in 5-10-15 years. Trustees are William Robert Bevan of Plumton House Lieutenant Colonel Ruggles Brise of Spains Hall-Rev Charles John Fisher of Ovington Rectory-William Maling Wynch of Horringer House. The directors are prepared to make immediate advances.
Rules and Prospectuses may be obtained at the Society's office at the Market Place in Clare.

April 15th 1865

Inquest at Lakenheath on Isaac Leonard aged 45 who met his death in the following circumstances. 
Henry Porter aged 12 said he saw deceased in Sedge Fen, 
"I did not know him, he said he was going to dig some turf and began to dig, he made a funny noise and fell in the turf hole in about one foot of water which just covered his face, he scared me, I did not try and get him out, an hour or two later I drove my sheep home and told my father, he said he would get out if he was drunk, I did not go back to look as I was scared."
 William Fincham said "About 7 on Wednesday evening I heard deceased was missing, I went with his wife to search for him, I saw him down in the turf pool, he was subjected to fits."
Accidentally drowned.

April 22nd 1865

On Monday morning a little girl of 3 years, the daughter of Mr Hurst of the gas works at Clare, fell in the river near to their residence and drowned.

April 29th 1865

On Thursday morning, James Sebon, shopkeeper and postman at Bulmer were brought into custody at the Clerks room at the Town Hall at Sudbury before the Rev J. Foster and the Rev Borton charged with receiving knowing it to be stolen, 2 coombs of wheat on the 6th of October last, the property of Mr Ardley, miller of Liston, Essex, 
The foreman of Mr Ardley was apprehended at the time of the robbery and tried for it but Sebon absconded and was not heard of till a day or two ago when he was captured by Superintendent Elsey. Remanded till Monday next when he will be brought before the magistrates at Castle Hedingham.

May 13th 1865

Inquest at Glemsford on William Oakley, 54, 
William Chatters said "I work for Mr Gooch, farmer, and knew deceased, me and my partner were carting straw, I saw him come up the field, we saw him crawling, I went to dinner at 2 o' clock when I came back I went up to him and found him dead, we got him on a hurdle and took him home."
 Harry Oakley, said "Deceased is my father, on Monday my mother (who is quite blind) and father and I had a good breakfast, he was out drinking a good deal the last three weeks, on the Tuesday morning after breakfast I saw him no more alive, a razor produced by the last witness was my father's."
 Cut his own throat.

March 27th 1865

There was a fire at Acton on the premises of John Hoggar of Barron Hill which consumed the wheelright's shop.

July 8th 1865

Daniel Suttle and Thomas Brown were charged with stealing 8 cwt of grease from Messrs Brassey, Ogilivie and Harrison, railway contractors at Glemsford on April 1st. Brown acquitted, Suttle 9 months hard labour.

July 8th 1865

On Saturday last there was a shocking accident at Melford on the Bury-Sudbury line
A train of empty trucks but containing several workmen ran off the line onto some tippling wagons on a siding, the collision was of great violence, several men jumped off and evaded danger but six front trucks were thrown onto the tippling wagon and crushed with some poor fellows in them and wounding several others. One man was killed on the spot, another died before a truck wheel, a third was caught in the buffers of two of the trucks, he was crushed to death instantaneously another was hung by his heels and suspended for two hours, his mates cutting him out, he was carried to the White Hart and attended by Mr Jones and Mr Simpson, surgeons. 
Three men died and nine were injured. 
The following are the names of the men killed, Charles Burling of Clare, 47, a widower who leaves a family of seven children, James Ives of Pentlow, aged 29, a single man and Henry Mann of Belchamp aged 30 who leaves a wife and family, injured were William Jarvis, George Enningham, George Dyson of Clare, George Maxim, Charles Harrald, Henry Byford, George Chinery of Wickhambrook, George Underwood of Pentlow, Henry Plum of Ovington. 
The Jury came to their conclusion and returned the following verdict that the three men came to their deaths through defective working of the down loop points, the Jury strongly censured the conduct of the contractor's servants. The Coroner said it did not amount to criminal negligence. 
Thomas Brown, gangman, said he left the points alright but supposed some boys had got on the line.

July 29th 1865

To be let-the Fox at Stanningfield-capital maltings of 25 coombs steep attached-situated beside the road near Stanningfield Green, it is the only Inn in the neighbourhood. 

August 12th 1865


The most disastrous and fatal fire that has occurred in this neighbourhood for many years took place on Friday last. One of the numerous cocoa fibre makers in this district is Mr Churchyard of Melford who has a factory at Cavendish adjoining to which and only separated by a small space is another factory of his used for the horse-hair trade,
 The cocoa fibre factory was a substantial brick building of three floors and on Friday 16 men and 16 boys were at work in it. On that day a considerable quantity of wet fibre had been spread out in the yard to dry after it had been bleached. A few minutes after the men had returned to work from dinner (at two o' clock), (it is thought carelessly caused by a spark from a pipe), the fibre suddenly blazed up and being very inflammable, The flames at one leap entered the open door of the factory before the mischief was discovered. 
An effort was made to keep the enemy out by closing the door but the wind being in that direction caused the flames to creep in through the crevice at the bottom of the door. Thus the fibre in the building became speedily ignited and in three minutes the whole structure was on fire. 
All the workmen escaped but two by forcing their passage through the blaze on the stairs. John Reeve and Charles Deeks, not having enough courage to go through the fiery barrier they had to retreat before the advancing destroyer to the upper room, they then appeared at a small window against which a ladder was instantly placed. 
Deeks got out upon it and was received by the crowd below dreadfully burnt, the other overcome by the smoke and heat was seen to fall back into the flames in the room where the trunk of his body was afterwards found a charred mass of cinder, his head and his legs having been completely consumed. 
The fire reached two timber and thatched cottages and a wheelwright's shop belonging to Mr Hill of Belchamp St Pauls and occupied by Mark Golding, shoemaker and Arges Brown, wheelwright. In a short period they were destroyed and other property was threatened. In a short period the Cavendish engine and the two Clare engines and got into play, the ravages of the conflagration were arrested. Deeks who had been removed to his mother's house at Pentlow expired next morning after suffering intense agony. The factory stock and cottages were insured in the Norwich Office and the loss of furniture by Mr Brown is covered by a policy from the Sun office.

The inquest upon the body of John Reeve was held at the Bull Inn, Cavendish on Saturday before J.W.Ion, Deputy Coroner, the foreman was Mr Robert Bird.
The jury having viewed the all that remained of the deceased and also inspected the burnt premises, the following evidence was taken.

William Alefounder stated: 
"I live in Chapel street, Cavendish, and am a mat maker, I knew deceased.
yesterday about twenty minutes past two o' clock, I was standing at the factory door, the door was open and I saw flames coming through the door, I immediately shut the door but the fire came in under the door.
For sometime I endeavoured to stamp it out, but not being able to so and seeing that I was in danger, I ran across the lower floor of the factory and got out of a window and into a field. 
Deceased went into the factory with me about two o' clock and was at work there at the time of the fire, I did not see him after he went in. I don't know how the fire originated, I did not see anyone smoking on their way there after dinner, there is no smoking allowed on the premises, 
I was working on the lower floor against the door, Reeve was making mats on the topmost floor, 
there was a considerable amount of loose fibre lying in the yard in front of the door between the rail fence and horse hair factory, when I went back from dinner it was laid there to dry after being bleached, when we went to work after dinner we had to pass the fibre, when I saw the fire I called the foreman, Jacob Theobald, who told me to shut the door, 
I also called the men who were working upstairs, there were about 30 of us at working in the factory, 
I know it is the habit of several people to stand against the gate and smoke after dinner waiting for the bell to ring, but that is four or five rods from where the fibre laid.
I did not see anyone smoking on the premises yesterday, it is customary to lay fibre out to dry on a fine day, the factory was a brick building and slated, I saw a small quantity of fibre on the fire when I shut the door bur I cannot say where it first caught, the fire flew up to the first floor before the fibre on the ground caught."

Jacob Theobald, foreman at the factory deposed, 
"I live at Cavendish. Yesterday about two o' clock I saw deceased return to his work after dinner, I was raddling one of the matting canes on at that time and was on the lower floor when I heard the last witness cry out "Fire", 
I told him to shut the door to keep the fire out and went to the machine room to shut another door for the same purpose, the fire was in the yard when I first saw it
I was inside the factory about six yards from the door and the fibre that was burning when I saw it was about three yards from the door on the outside. The flame from the burning fibre came in underneath the door after I had shut it, I then hurried out of the building but was so frightened that I cannot say whether I left by the door or by one of the windows.
After I was out I looked up at the window and saw deceased and a man named Deeks trying to get out the window, Deceased was leaning on Deeks back and I almost directly saw him fall back into the flames. 
I and a boy laid out the fibre about six in the morning. There is always refuse fibre lying in the yard, it is a very inflammable material but I cannot say whether it would take fire from the ashes out of a pipe. 
Some of the men smoke but they are not allowed to smoke in the yard, I have never seen any of them secret a pipe and bring it on the premises, I have seen them smoking in the street against the gate but that was five rods from where the fibre laid, 
I did not see anyone smoking there yesterday, I stood against the wall with several more until it was time to go to work and there nobody smoking, then I went to the factory some minutes before the workmen came in. I cannot account for the fire. 
There is a horsehair factory in the same yard and the parties employed there went up the same way to their work as those that go to the cocoa fibre factory but they are mostly women and are not likely to smoke, they had to pass close by where this fibre was lying. 
There are five windows in the horsehair factory looking out on to the fibre and I was at work there against those windows and I don't think anyone could have got to the fibre without being seen from those windows.
There was a quantity of fibre lying just outside the factory door and when the flames came in it immediately caught and blazed up to the first floor, the whole place was in flames in three minutes, deceased was working on the top floor, and I can't say whether he heard the alarm of fire but I called out as loud as I could. 
Deeks told me that Reeve came down the ladder once but went back for his clothes and was caught by the flames. I was in the factory a few minutes before anyone else and it is possible that anyone of the workmen might have knocked ashes out of his pipe as he went up the yard without me seeing it. 
I don't know whether the fibre is dressed with inflammable liquid"

Hannah, wife of George Firbank, deposed: 
"Yesterday about two o' clock I was in my house, nearly opposite the factory yard looking for my two little children who I knew were in the habit of going there sometimes. When I got opposite the entrance door of the factory I saw some fibre on fire, covering about a yard of ground, two boys who I do not know were standing close by, they were stooping and appeared to be trying to put it out. The tallest of the two then got some more and put it on and was apparently going to stamp it out but it blazed up immediately and the whole became a mass of flames. 
I cried out "Fire" as loud as I could then went back in the street. 
I have often seen the factory people smoking at the entrance gate but did not see any that day as I was busy and did not take any notice. The boys were close to the factory door when I saw them and after the fibre burst into flames they had to run through the blaze to get away. 
I did not see their features as they were stooping. One of them might have been ten years of age, the other more. I cannot say if they were employed in the factory or not, I never saw anything of them when the fibre blazed up but if they went into the road they must have passed where I stood, they might have gone into the factory. As near as I could judge it was about five or six minutes after hearing the two o'clock bell ring that I saw the fire. I have seen boys smoking against the gate as well as men, there is a great deal of smoking there. 
I cannot say that I have ever seen any of them knock the ashes out of their pipes in the yard but occasionally seen two of them knock them upon the wall and afterwards put their pipes in their pockets. I have not heard since who the two little boys were."

George Ballard, a boy of 13 years deposed, 
"I work in the factory, when the bell rung yesterday afternoon I was just going in the factory door. Soon afterwards I was turning over fibre to dry outside and was gathering it together to take upstairs when I saw some of it was on fire at a spot about a rod from where I was. There was nobody but myself in the yard when the fire took place, a boy named William Maxim had been with me about five minutes before but had returned to the factory. He is a server and came out while waiting for his weaver. 
On seeing the flame I ran down the yard and called "Fire". I did not try and put it out. I did not see Mrs Firbank; I did not see any boys trying to put the fire out. Nobody could have gone up and lit it without me seeing him. 
When I came out of the factory the second time I went past the place where the fire broke out and did not see any fire then, but about two or three minutes after while I was gathering fibre five yards off I saw it break out in a blaze."

Mr Thomas Robert Churchyard of Melford, proprietor of the factory was next called. He deposed, 
"I am a mat and matting manufacturer. I was at the factory yesterday morning and ordered the wet fibre to be laid out in the yard to dry. There is nothing in it inflammable, it is merely dressed with a little chlorine. It is rather dark in colour but had been washed in water and chloride of lime and afterwards washed in pure water. 
The fibre itself is inflammable but the washing not the least so. If a quantity of fibre were wetted with vitriol and laid together, spontaneous combustion would not take place. After being washed in the solution of vitriol, the fibre was washed again in pure water before being laid out to dry."

Rachel, wife of William Brown, deposed; 
"My husband is a bricklayer and lives in Factory-yard, Cavendish. I work in the horsehair factory and was at my loom at work yesterday afternoon, just opposite where the fire broke out. About a quarter or twenty minutes past two I saw some of the fibre blazing, I did not see anybody there-not even a boy, the flames appeared to break out suddenly and I saw no smoke in the yard from the time I went into the factory. I heard no cry of fire before seeing the flames. I don't know that any of the woman smoke. There is a no man there but the foreman works in the factory where I work but there are two or three boys."

George Maxim, 11 years of age deposed, 
"About two o' clock yesterday afternoon I was in the factory yard with the boy Ballard near where the loose fibre was lying, I helped him turn it over. Ballard took some of the fibre into the factory and in about five minutes after he came back it was "all of a fire". I did not do anything while he was gone and as soon as I saw the blaze I called out "Fire". 
About a quarter of an hour before the bell rung I saw Robert Maxim smoking at the bottom of the factory yard, he was inside the yard near the street gate and about ten yards from the fibre. I saw him put his pipe out by knocking it on his hand. The pipe appeared to be smoked out and I saw no sparks coming from it when he knocked it out. He kept smoking till the bell rung. I saw Mrs Firbank come into the yard and she asked me if her children were up in the factory yard, she called me by my name when she asked me that question, neither I nor Ballard tried to stamp it out nor did I see anybody else.
Ballard has a shut knife and sometimes he snaps Lucifer matches with it, I have seen him do it in the Bull meadow but never near the factory."

Robert Maxim, the man alluded to by the last witness as having been smoking in the yard was next called and having been cautioned that he was not bound to answer any question that was likely to criminate him, was sworn, and he deposed as follows. 
"About two o' clock yesterday afternoon I was lying on the ground near Widow Brown's house, I was not smoking and have not smoked a pipe since last Monday night, several other men laid with me waiting till the bell went, some came up to the gate smoking but put their pipes out before entering the yard. I did not see anyone smoke inside the yard. There is no Robert Maxim employed there but myself.
I heard the cry of fire and looked out of the window on the top floor where I was at work but could see nothing and went to work again, then somebody called out "Come Down". I went to the ladder and looked and could see no flames, I went back for my coat and when I went to the ladder again the flames met me but I ran through it and how I get out I cannot say. 
I think Reeve was afraid to go through the flames or he might have got out as I did."

The Coroner said he thought they had pretty well exhausted all the evidence that could throw light upon this awful and melancholy transaction. The cause of death was no doubt the fire and the deceased was accidentally burnt but how the fire arose there was not sufficient evidence to show and if they were to adjourn the inquiry he was afraid they would not get the evidence to make the matter clearer. If they thought so they would return a verdict to that effect.
The jury returned a verdict of Accidentally burnt but there is no evidence to prove how the fire originated.

The other sufferer having been removed to his mother's house which is situated in the county of Essex had placed the inquest of his death beyond the Coroner's jurisdiction.
The inquest upon the body of Charles Deeks was held before W.Cobb,esq, at Pentlow on Monday. The Rev E. Bull objected to the inquest as unnecessary, the cause of death having been determined at the Cavendish inquest.
It being the general wish of the jury however to proceed with the inquiry, they were sworn and the reverend gentleman was elected foreman. 
The principal point sought to be cleared up was the cause of the fire and at the close of the evidence the foreman expressed an opinion that it was occasioned by a spark from some man's pipe. 
The verdict was Accidental Death.

August 12th 1865

Advert. Wanted two Lancashire machinists. Apply to W. Hooper, Factory, Bury.

August 12th 1865

To be sold, 1000 gallon cask of the best English oak. Apply at Lawshall Harrow.

August 12th 1865

The opening of the new Clare railway line on Wednesday, there was not much stir as owing to time being fixed several times the public are tired of the question "when shall we ride to London", however on Wednesday morning a train did run past this town. In the evening a large bonfire was lit and with the Pipe and Drums and firing of guns till a late hour.

August 12th 1865

At Suffolk Summer Assizes, Thomas Griss, shoemaker of Lavenham was sentenced to 10 years penal servitude for committing rape upon his 7 year old daughter, Mary Ann Griss, the mother was out on the night the offence was committed in a bed with two smaller children sleeping in the same bed.

August 19th 1865

Great complaints have been made as to the want of accommodation at the new railway station at Sudbury, all that is erected is a small wooden shed for issuing tickets, there is no shelter of any kind and the new station is only slowly rising from the foundations, the road to the station is a mass of soil in which the foot slips up to the ankles.

September 2nd 1865

A string of pugilists. William Brown of Cavendish for fighting in Cavendish. 5s with 11s costs-William Perry of Cavendish for same offence, 7 days prison-Robert Brown of Cavendish for like offence. 7 days prison.

September 16th 1765

The live and dead stock at Alpheton Hall for sale-11 horses-144 dark faced ewes-50 swine etc, the property of Mr Samuel Howe who is retiring. All live and dead stock at Lynus farm, Poslingford.

September 16th 1865

Died at Shimpling Mill aged 31 years, Joshua Butcher of Shimpling Mill.

September 23rd 1865

Grand cricket match at Bury. Cricket which is emphatically an English game we are glad to say attained hold of the minds of the inhabitants in Suffolk which has led to the formation of Suffolk Cricket Club, it has exhibited an unusual amount of spirit since it's formation and had actually thrown down the gauntlet to the club which stands A 1 in England, the Marylebone, it is 40 years since a cricket match came off in this locality, it is 40 years since Nottingham and Bury clubs competed at Rougham and over 30 years since Bury and Marylebone clubs competed in this town when the score was---Suffolk 46 and 128----Marylebone 128 and 40.

September 30th 1865

Married at Sudbury. Enoch Bowers to Mrs Picton, relict of the Rev Picton of Bulmer in Essex, eldest daughter of Mr D. Badham of Bulmer.

October 21st 1865

Inquest at Cavendish on Robert Mortlock aged 4 years, son of John Mortlock, labourer. Walter Underwood who works for Mr Garret said he was going along with a wagon and horses driven by Isaac Maxim with a load of coal to Cavendish Hall, he fancied one of the wheels was clogged and told his partner to stop the horses, on looking down he saw the child in the near side wheel, wound up and crushed quite dead, it appeared he climbed up behind and somehow slipped into the spokes. Accidental.

December 2nd 1865

On Thursday morning a man named William Parker, a ploughman in the employ of Mr D. Badham of Bulmer, he was ploughing with a pair of horses, one of which was an entire horse, he took them to bait at Upper Barn where they went to drink at the pond, when they came out Parker tried to catch the leading rein when the horse made three snatches at his arm, the last catching him by the wrist with it's mouth pulling him off the other horse, two other ploughmen came to his assistance but were unable to release him, they got a plough scraper to open the mouth but such was the force which the horse used the poor man's arm was broken and he was also trampled on by the forefeet bruising his ribs and his arm, his arm was set by Mr Lynch but the poor man died on Monday, he was 27 years old and was a steady man, the horse was shot the next morning.

December 2nd 1865

Clare. The new alms houses are fast drawing to conclusion and it has long been a doubt who is to pay for the erection of them, minds have been set at rest for a strong plaque in the gable end states they are rebuilt at the sole expense of John Isaacson and James Stammers Ray.

December 16th 1865

Sudbury. Gossips have had plenty of pabulum of late in certain complaints relating to immoral conduct on the part of the Chaplain at the Union house the Rev John Wilson which the Rev gentleman strongly denies, the matter was brought before the Board of Guardians a fortnight ago and on Thursday an inquiry took place before seven Guardians, Mr Wilson being present with his solicitor, the matter is to be laid before the Poor Law Committee in London.