January 5th 1860
At the County Sessions, at Norwich, the Committee appointed at the previous Sessions recommended that the Chief Constable, on the application of the High Sheriff, be allowed to supply police-constables for keeping order in the Assize Courts, in place of the javelin men previously employed, the High Sheriff engaging to pay the additional expense. The Chairman (Sir Willoughby Jones) remarked that theoretically the javelin men kept the Courts, but practically they kept the neighbouring public-houses. The recommendation was agreed to. On March 27th, Mr. Justice Williams was received at Victoria Station by the High Sheriff (Mr. Henry Birkbeck) and a posse of policemen, “in the place of the time-honoured body which had long constituted a conspicuous part of the pomp and circumstance of our Assizes, having at length succumbed to the utilitarian tyranny of the age. His arrival at the Shirehall and Guildhall was signalised, however, by the customary fanfaronade on a couple of inharmonious trumpets.”
January 15th 1860
St. Giles’ church, Norwich, was for the first time lighted with gas, and evening services were held there from this date.
January 17th 1860
Mr. E. E. Benest, City Surveyor, tendered his resignation to the Norwich Town Council, after eight years’ service. He was succeeded, on March 14th, by Mr. Thomas D. Barry.
January 20th 1860
Lord Sondes was presented by his Norfolk tenantry with a piece of plate, of the value of 140 gs., as a birthday gift and as a testimony of the esteem in which he was held by them as a landlord and nobleman.
February 7th 1860
A fire occurred on the premises of Mr. W. C. Aberdein, pastry cook, Dove Street, Norwich. The outbreak itself was not of a serious character, but in a room upon the adjoining premises of Mr. Cubitt, ironmonger, was stored upwards of 400 lbs. of gunpowder, which was safely removed in wet blankets. The circumstance caused much sensation, and the practicability of establishing a public powder magazine was discussed by the magistrates.
February 20th 1860
Died at King’s Lynn, Mr. J. F. Reddie, many years organist at St. Margaret’s church, in that town.
February 24th 1860
A petition against the return of Sir Edmund Lacon and Sir H. Stracey, as members of Parliament for Great Yarmouth, in April, 1859, commenced before a Special Committee of the House of Commons. The petitioners, Mr. Joseph Bayly, surgeon, and Mr. Robert Pilgrim, linen draper, alleged bribery, undue influence, treating, and intimidation. On March 1st the Committee declared the members to have been duly elected, and were of opinion that one of the witnesses, Henry Fayerman, had been guilty of wilful and corrupt perjury. The members were received with great enthusiasm on their return to Yarmouth, and were entertained at a public dinner, given at the Theatre, on April 12th. At the Westminster Police Court, on June 11th, Fayerman was committed for trial on the charge of perjury, but at the Old Bailey, on July 12th, the jury gave a verdict of acquittal.
February 28th 1860
A terrible gale raged throughout the country. At Norwich, between ten o’clock and noon, the thermometer rose from 36 degrees to 47 degrees; at two o’clock it registered 45 degrees. The wind blew from the west, veering occasionally to the north and to W.N.W., but during the height of the gale it blew west by north. Great damage was done to buildings, trees were uprooted, and “locomotion was extremely difficult and laborious, and, indeed, quite out of the question to those of the fair sex whose fashionable expanded dresses, assuming the properties of parachutes, compelled them to undertake a species of aerial voyage for a distance of a few yards, or exposed them to the still more unpleasant predicament of having their parachute garments inverted.” There were many disasters along the coast, and several lives were lost.
March 9th 1860
A Special Committee of the House of Commons sat to decide various questions arising out of the elections at Norwich in 1859. The first point to be decided was whether Lord Bury’s claim, by virtue of the election in July, was not nullified by the bribery which was proved to have been made by his agents when he was returned with Mr. Schneider in April; and secondly, whether, in the event of such disqualification, Sir Samuel Bignold or Colonel Boldero had a valid claim. There were three petitions: (1) against the return of Lord Bury and the qualification of Sir Samuel Bignold, on the ground that both had been guilty of bribery at the April election, and the seat was, therefore, claimed for Colonel Boldero (signed by Josiah Fletcher, S. Jarrold, and J. J. Kempster); (2) alleging the disqualification of Lord Bury, and claiming the seat for Sir Samuel Bignold (signed by J. G. Johnson and R. Kerrison); and (3) alleging the disqualification of both Lord Bury and Sir Samuel Bignold, and claiming the seat for Colonel Boldero (signed by P. Back and G. C. Stevens). No appearance was put in in support of the first petition. The Committee declared that Lord Bury was not merely disqualified from sitting in the House of Commons during the then Parliament, but the last election was void, in consequence of his lordship having been found, since that return, guilty of bribery by his agents. A writ was then issued for another election, and on March 28th the following candidates were nominated: Mr. W. Forlonge (C), Aynhoe Park, Northamptonshire; Mr. W. D. Lewis, Q.C. (C); Sir William Russell (L), and Mr. Edward Warner (L). The polling took place on the 29th, and the result was officially declared on the 30th, as follows: Warner, 2,083; Russell, 2,045; Forlonge, 1,636; Lewis, 1,631.
March 24th 1860
Died at his residence, Hillington Hall, aged 73, Sir William John Henry Browne ffolkes, Bart. He represented the county, and afterwards the Western Division, as a supporter of Liberal principles from 1830 through the Reform era, but lost the seat on the redaction of the Conservative party in 1837, when Mr. Bagge and Mr. Chute were returned. As a magistrate, country gentleman, and landlord, Sir William was highly esteemed. He was Chairman of Quarter Sessions at Swaffham, and chairman of the Norfolk Estuary Company. He was succeeded by his grandson, William Howell, then in his twelfth year, and eldest son of Martin Brown ffolkes, who was killed by lightning in July, 1849.
March 24th 1860
The Rev. J. W. L. Heaviside was installed Canon of Norwich Cathedral, in succession to Canon Wodehouse, resigned. Mr. Heaviside was a professor at Haileybury College, an examiner in mathematics for the University of London and for the Council of Military Education, and a brother of Mr. Heaviside, formerly master of the Norwich School of Art.
March 29th 1860
At the Norwich Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Cockburn and a special jury, was tried a libel action, in which Mr. Samuel B. Cory, solicitor, Yarmouth, was the plaintiff, and Mr. T. W. Bond, publisher of the “Norfolk News,” Norwich, the defendant. The libel was contained in a letter written to the newspaper by a Mr. Fabb, who alleged, among other things, that Mr. Cory had laid informations in certain game cases, with the object of putting the fees into his own pocket. Mr. Fabb, it was understood, had indemnified the “Norfolk News.” The jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff, with one farthing damages, as to that part of the libel above quoted, and for the defendant as to other portions of the libel, on the ground that they had been justified as true. The effect of the verdict was that plaintiff had to pay his own costs and half the costs of the defendant. In a second action, Mr. Fabb sued Mr. Cory for malicious prosecution, and obtained a verdict for £30 damages.
March 30th 1860
Died, in her 63rd year, at Cheltenham, while on a visit to her son-in-law, the Rev. J. F. Fenn, Lady Bignold, wife of Sir Samuel Bignold.
April 2nd 1860
An important will case, Wright _v._ Wilkin, commenced at the Norfolk Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Cockburn and a special jury. It was brought in the form of an action for ejectment to recover possession of certain tenements and lands held by the defendant, Thomas Martin Wilkin, solicitor, of Lynn, under the will of an old lady named Mary Mann. The plaintiff, who was heir-at-law, alleged that the will was obtained from an infirm and weak-minded person by fraudulent practices and contrivances. The will had already been disputed, and in that trial a verdict was given in favour of Mr. Wilkin; this action was brought because there had come to the knowledge of the plaintiff facts and circumstances which had been entirely withheld from the former jury. The trial lasted until the afternoon of the 3rd, when the jury found for the defendant, subject to argument upon certain points reserved. These were stated in the Court of Queen’s Bench on April 9th, and were to the effect that the devise to the defendant was defeated by his neglect to comply with a condition of the will, namely, that the devise was conditional on the devisee paying off certain legacies within twelvemonths in case the personal estate should be insufficient for that purpose. It transpired that the personal estate was insufficient, but the defendant did not pay one of the legacies within the time stipulated. It was also contended for the plaintiff that the devise to the defendant was void, inasmuch as it was a contrivance to defeat the Statute of Mortmain, several of the legacies being for charitable purposes, and that the defendant had misled the testatrix by not telling her that, under 43rd George III., she could leave as much as five acres of land for the repair of the church. Lord Chief Justice Cockburn granted a rule _nisi_. In the Court of Queen’s Bench, on November 27th, the Lord Chief Justice said the rule must be discharged, as the words in the will were not intended to impose a condition, the non-observance of which would involve forfeiture. Mr. Justice Crompton and Mr. Justice Blackburn concurred. The rule was discharged.
May 24th 1860
The Queen’s birthday was celebrated at Norwich by a parade on Mousehold of the Royal Horse Artillery, the West Norfolk Militia, and the Rifle Volunteers. The Mayor afterwards entertained the officers at luncheon at the Guildhall, and in the evening the Volunteers dined at St. Andrew’s Hall, under the presidency of Major Brett.
May 28th 1860
A violent gale from the north-west did extensive damage in Norwich and throughout the county. Terrible disasters were reported on the coast. Twenty vessels belonging to Yarmouth and Lowestoft were lost, 200 men and boys perished, and 240 women and children were left in a state of destitution. On the 29th an inquiry was held at Yarmouth into certain allegations as to the conduct of the beachmen and crew of the lifeboat. It was stated that, in consequence of differences which had arisen, much valuable time was lost in launching the lifeboat, and a resolution expressing regret at the delay was adopted. A public fund was raised for the destitute families of the local fishermen. During the gale, the north-east pinnacle of St. Peter’s church, Yarmouth, was dislodged, the windows of Cromer church were blown in, and at Blickling 247 oaks were uprooted in the Great Wood, 216 in Hercules Wood, and 190 in other portions of the park. It was estimated that 1,500 trees were levelled on the estate.
May 28th 1860
The American horse tamer, Rarey, gave an exhibition of his system of training, in the riding school at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich.
June 4th 1860
The Royal Horse Artillery marched from the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, _en route_ to Woolwich, and were escorted to the city boundary by the Rifle Volunteers.
June 9th 1860
An extraordinary case, arising out of the sudden disappearance of a lad named Vansittart, came before the Norwich magistrates. The lad was a son of Mr. Vansittart, member of Parliament for Windsor, and had been placed at school under the care of the Rev. F. H. S. Hodgson, rector of Rackheath. At Brighton, some time previously, he had developed Roman Catholic tendencies, and his friends were anxious to remove him from the sphere of such influences. Mr. Hodgson, while engaged in parochial duties, missed the youth, and gave information to the police at Norwich, who found him at the house of a Roman Catholic jeweller, named Beha. The lad made a very singular statement, to the effect that an Italian priest, attired in a long blue cloak, had persuaded him to leave school and join the Roman Catholics in London; that he had gone to Norwich and met Canon Dalton, the priest at St. John Maddermarket Roman Catholic chapel, to whom he had shown a watch belonging to a school-fellow; that Canon Dalton had advanced him six shillings, and recommended him to take the watch to Beha, for the purpose of raising sufficient money to pay the balance of his railway fare to London; and that he was preparing to start for town when he was detained by the police. Canon Dalton declared that he had not seen the lad prior to his coming to St. John Maddermarket. The matter was adjourned for further inquiry, and on the 11th Canon Dalton, Jacob Beha, Matthew Beha, and Thomas Foulsham were required to attend before the magistrates, when the proceedings were deferred until the 18th, the persons named protesting against the course adopted by the Bench, and urging that no charge had at present been preferred against them. Another adjournment took place until the 25th, when Mr. Serjeant Ballantine appeared for the prosecution, and preferred a charge of conspiracy against Canon Dalton and the Behas. The boy Vansittart gave evidence, and, in cross-examination by Mr. Woollett, counsel for the defence, admitted that he had told “a tissue of lies,” and that the main points of his story were entirely invented by himself. The magistrates dismissed the case, but expressed the opinion that the conduct of Canon Dalton was exceedingly reprehensible in not advising the lad to return to his father.
June 18th 1860
Died at his residence, at Thorpe, General Sir Robert J. Harvey, C.B., K.T.S., Knight Commander of the Order of St. Bento d’Avis, F.R.S., F.A.S. Sir Robert, who was in his 75th year, saw much active service during his military career. He was present at the battles of the Douro and Busaco, the battle of Salamanca, the siege of Burgos, and at Vittoria, the Pyrenees (where he was wounded in the thigh by a musket shot), Nivelle, Nive, Orthes, and Toulouse. The long-protracted war having been brought to a close in 1815 by the crowning victory at Waterloo, on the anniversary of which he died, he returned to Norwich and became an acting partner in the bank of Harveys and Hudson, and was head of the firm at the time of his death. He was a magistrate and a Deputy Lieutenant of Norfolk, president of the Norwich Union Life Office and the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, chairman of the General Reversionary Interest Society in London, and founder of several other important institutions of a kindred character. In politics he was a Conservative, but took no prominent part in local affairs. Sir Robert married a daughter of Mr. Robert Harvey, of Walton, Suffolk, a distant relative, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Mr. R. J. H. Harvey. The will of the deceased was proved on February 21st, 1861, when the personalty was sworn under £350,000. “Mr. R. J. H. Harvey has purchased all his brother’s (Mr. E. K. Harvey’s) interest under the will, so that he is now in possession of the whole of the real and personal property of his late father, subject to Lady Harvey’s life interest in the Mousehold estates and to the annuities named in the will.”
June 19th 1860
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, it was agreed, “That the Lords of the Treasury having sanctioned the sale to the New Street Company of the property required by them belonging to the Corporation for the sum of £3,260, and having required to be informed of the purpose to which the Corporation propose to apply such purchase-money, this Council agrees, with the sanction of the Lords of the Treasury, to apply £2,000 towards the making of the new street, which, on its completion, will be vested in the Corporation, and, the remaining £1,260 towards the widening of the present approach to the Cattle Market by Rose Lane.”
June 30th 1860
The Channel Fleet, under the command of Admiral Sir C. Fremantle, K.C.B., arrived in Yarmouth Roads. Since the year 1814 no two ships of the line had been moored at the same time off Yarmouth. The fleet consisted of nine ships of the line, two frigates, a corvette, and a tender. The Mayor and Corporation of the borough waited upon the Admiral and invited the officers to a ball, but orders came for the fleet to sail early on the morning of July 2nd.
July 9th 1860
Mousehold Rifle Range was used for the first time by the Norwich Volunteers. The first prize-meeting took place on September 17th, when there were twelve competitors from the city and twenty-four from the county.
July 23rd 1860
The Donegal Militia left Yarmouth.
July 27th 1860
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Chief Baron Pollock and a special jury, an action, Gillings _v._ Manders, was tried. The plaintiff was a carpenter at Yarmouth, and the defendant the proprietor of a travelling menagerie. One of the attractions of the show was the performance of a Zulu named Maccomo, who was styled a “Lion King,” and fired off pistols and carbines in a cage containing half a dozen lions and lionesses. In a performance given at Yarmouth, Maccomo, instead of firing his pistol to the top of the cage, discharged it among the spectators, and the wad entering the plaintiff’s eyes destroyed it. Muccomo said it was the result of an accident. One of his lions attacked him in a fit of temper, and the trigger, catching in the beast’s mane, was prematurely discharged. The jury found for the plaintiff, damages £150.
July 31st 1860
In the Norwich Episcopal Consistory Court, Mr. Chancellor Evans gave judgment in a protracted case, Archdeacon Bouverie _v._ the Rev. W. L. Barnes. The suit was instituted by the Archdeacon of Norfolk, against the rector of Knapton, for procurations for the years 1856–57–58–59. The plaintiff alleged, in his libels, that he was entitled to receive from the rector the sum of 7s. 7½d., due at Michaelmas every year, by reason of his visiting, of his archidiaconal dignity, or by custom. Mr. Barnes required the Archdeacon to prove such parts of his case as were not admitted, and, further, he said that, supposing the case as stated in the libels were proved, the Archdeacon was not entitled to be paid his procurations for the years 1857–58–59, because he did not in those years hold a parochial visitation at Knapton. The Court decreed in favour of the Archdeacon, with costs, and Mr. Barnes gave notice that he should appeal against the judgment. No further proceedings, however, were taken.
August 27th 1860
Died at Hampstead Marshall, Newbury, Berks., the Right Hon. Louisa, Dowager Countess of Craven, aged 78. She was a daughter of Mr. John Brunton, manager of Norwich Theatre, and half a century before her death was a favourite actress upon the Norwich and the London stage. She married the Earl of Craven in 1807, and of the marriage there were three sons and a daughter.
August 28th 1860
The first festival of the associated choirs belonging to the Norfolk and Suffolk Church Choral Association, established in October, 1859, was hold at Norwich Cathedral.
August 30th 1860
Died at her residence in Kentish Town, aged 61, Elizabeth, widow of Frederick Yates, formerly of the Adelphi Theatre. She was a daughter of John Brunton, the younger, of Norwich and a niece of the Dowager Countess of Craven. She made her _début_ at King’s Lynn, in the character of Desdemona, and her first appearance in London at Covent Garden Theatre, on Sept. 12th, 1817, as Letitia Hardy. At Covent Garden she continued to play leading high comedy until 1824, when she married Mr. Frederick Yates, who died in 1842, leaving an only son, born in 1831. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Yates remained at the Adelphi with Mr. Webster, played for one season at the Lyceum with Madame Vestris, and finally retired from the stage in 1849.
September 17th 1860
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, with an evening performance of “The Creation.” The morning performances were as follow: On the 19th, the “Dettingen Te Deum” and “The Last Judgment”; on the 20th, “Abraham” and “As the hart pants”; and on the 21st “The Messiah.” Miscellaneous programmes were performed on the evenings of the 19th and 20th. The principal vocalists were Madame Clara Novello (her farewell appearance), Mdlle. Titiens (her first appearance), Madame Weiss, Miss Palmer, Madame Borghi Mamo (her first appearance), Mr. Sims Reeves, Signor Giulini, Mr. Willye Cooper, Mr. Santley, Mr. Weiss, Signor Belletti; solo pianoforte, Miss Arabella Goddard; leaders of the band, Mr. Sainton and Mr. H. Blagrove; solo violon-cello, Signor Piatti; organist, Mr. Harcourt; chorus master, Mr. J. F. Hill; conductor, Mr. Benedict. A “fancy dress ball” was announced for the evening of the 21st. “Only three individuals appeared in fancy dress—costumes which, from their quality, would have far more fitted a masquerade at the Baronial Hall than an elegant assembly like that of Friday evening. The wearers of them evidently felt ill at ease, and, after enduring the rather marked observation that they attracted for some time, were glad to call a fly and take their departure.” The total receipts of the Festival amounted to £5,095 16s., and the disbursements to £4,179 12s. 1d.
September 18th 1860
The Earl of Leicester, as Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk, and Major-General Wood, C.B., reviewed 1,200 Volunteers of the city and county on Mousehold Heath, Norwich.
September 20th 1860
Prince Jerome Bonaparte, with his suite, consisting of an _aide-de-camp_ and six members of the French Ministry, visited Gressenhall Workhouse and made particular enquiries into the management of the institution.
September 28th 1860
Died at Upper Harley Street, London, in his 85th year, Mr. Charles Lombe, of Great Melton. He was a son of Dr. Beevor, of Norwich, and succeeded to the entailed estate on the death of his nephew, Mr. Edward Lombe, son of the first Mr. Lombe. Mr. Charles Lombe was succeeded by Mr. Edward Evans, eldest son of Mr. T. B. Evans, formerly of Norwich. (_See_ November 10th.)
September 30th 1860
The headquarters of the 10th Hussars, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Baker, arrived at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich.
October 10th 1860
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kean gave a farewell performance at Norwich Theatre, prior to their departure for America. “One of the largest and most fashionable audiences which have ever assembled at the Theatre was brought together, at twice the ordinary playhouse prices in Norwich.” Mr. Kean appeared as Sir Walter Amyott, and Mrs. Kean as Lady Amyott, in “The Wife’s Secret.” On the 13th they performed in “Louis XI.,” and afterwards appeared at Yarmouth Theatre.
October 10th 1860
An inquest was held at the Bethlehem Hospital, London, on the body of Anthony Abel, a criminal lunatic, who had been removed from Norwich after being acquitted of a charge of murder on the ground of insanity. He had been an inmate of the establishment since June 18th, 1817. When 25 years of age he was indicted for the murder of his uncle near Thetford. “For many years he was considered so violent and dangerous that he was confined in a strong room, and under the old _régime_ then in use in the establishment, he had a strong belt and gloves, and was put into irons.”
October 22nd 1860
Mr. George Dawson lectured at the Free Library, Norwich, on “Pepys’ Diary.”
October 22nd 1860
Norwich Theatre was opened for a brief season by Mr. Charles Dillon and Miss Gomersal.
October 24th 1860
Mr. Henry Villebois, master of the Norfolk Fox Hounds, was presented with his portrait, subscribed for by 400 gentlemen, “in appreciation of his untiring and successful efforts to promote field sports in the county of Norfolk.” Lord Sondes presided at the dinner held at the Town Hall, Lynn, and presented the portrait, which was painted by F. Grant, R.A.
October 29th 1860
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, the resignations of Aldermen Sir W. Foster and Gibson were accepted, and Mr. R. J. H. Harvey and Mr. Fred Brown were elected to fill the vacancies. “The abolition of political ascendancy in the Town Council has been accomplished by the general consent of the influential men of each party, and duplicate agreements have been signed by at least three-fourths of the Corporation. To the Mayor (Mr. J. H. Tillett) belongs the honour of having taken the initiative in this laudable effort.”
November 3rd 1860
A description was published of an iron lighthouse, completed by Messrs. Barnard, Bishop, and Barnards, of the Norfolk Iron Works, Norwich, for the Brazilian Government. It was designed by Messrs. Bramwell and Reynolds, of Westminster, for erection on the island of Abrolhos, on the coast of Brazil. Made in sections, it was temporarily erected by the riverside near St. George’s Bridge. The tower was circular in form, and constructed of 144 iron plates. Its base was 17 ft. in diameter, it was 46 ft. in height, and the lantern at the summit was 16 ft. high.
November 3rd 1860
A fearful boiler explosion occurred on the steamship Tonning, off Yarmouth, by which eight persons were blown out of the vessel and never again seen, three subsequently died, and several were seriously injured. The Tonning was an iron vessel of 734 tons register, belonging originally to the North of Europe Steam Navigation Company, and was afterwards employed in the conveyance of cattle and passengers between England and the Continent.
November 9th 1860
Mr. W. J. Utten Browne was elected Mayor, and Dr. Dalrymple appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 10th 1860
“The Queen has been pleased to grant unto Edward Evans, of Great Melton and of Bylaugh, clerk, her Royal licence and authority that he may, in compliance with a proviso contained in the will of his great uncle, Sir John Lombe, henceforth take and use the surname of Lombe only, and use and bear the arms of Lombe in lieu of his present surname and arms of Evans.”
November 10th 1860
“Mr. George Allen, of St. Stephen’s, has introduced to Norwich the manufacture of elastic cloth, a fine material which has hitherto only been made in the West of England.”
November 17th 1860
During a strong gale from the N.N.W., several vessels lying off Yarmouth parted from their anchors and were driven ashore and wrecked. Several lives were lost.
December 1st 1860
A gunpowder explosion occurred at the shop of Mr. Marrison, gun maker, Little Orford Street, Norwich. The entire shop front was wrecked, as also was that of the adjoining shop, occupied by Mr. Frankland, photographer and dealer in art materials. Two lives were lost. Mrs. Dady, sister of Mr. Frankland, was sitting in a room over Mr. Marrison’s shop, and was dashed by the force of the explosion to the ceiling. She fell through the chasm in the floor to the burning ruins beneath, where she was fearfully injured. Charles Hill, a shop boy in the employment of Mr. Marrison, was killed outright, and terribly mangled. The force of the explosion shattered the windows of the Bell Hotel and of other houses in the vicinity. At the Norwich Assizes on March 26th, 1861, before Chief Baron Pollock, Mr. Marrison brought an action against the London Union Fire Office, for the recovery of £300 under a policy of insurance on his stock and furniture. The plaintiff had been offered and had refused £100 in settlement of the claim. The company then proved that the plaintiff had kept more gunpowder on his premises than was allowed by the terms of his contract, whereupon the judge ordered a non-suit.
December 3rd 1860
Died at Brighton, in his 61st year, Capt. Frederick Loftus, formerly of the 17th Lancers, youngest son of General and Lady Elizabeth Loftus, and grandson of George, first Marquis Townshend and Charlotte, Baroness De Ferrars and Compton. His remains were interred at Rainham, on December 11th.
December 5th 1860
The suit, Gurney _v._ Gurney and Taylor, came before the Divorce Court, Westminster. The husband sought dissolution of marriage, on the ground of misconduct by the wife. A petition had been presented for the settlement of property then vested in the wife in favour of the children, the issue of the marriage, and the Solicitor-General applied for a rule _nisi_ calling on the respondent, Mrs. Gurney, to show cause why a plea or a pleading in the nature of or intended to be a plea should not be taken off the file, and why the petition for settlement should not be treated as unanswered or unopposed. Sir C. Cresswell granted a rule _nisi_. Evidence was given in the case on January 22nd, 1861, and the decree was made absolute on May 22nd.
December 11th 1860
In the Vice-Chancellor’s Court was heard the action, Berney _v._ the Norfolk and Eastern Counties Railway Company. By an agreement dated June 6th, 1843, the plaintiff sold certain land to the Norwich and Yarmouth Railway Company, and it was provided that such company should establish and for ever maintain a station in connection with their railway at Reedham, on part of the land sold to them by plaintiff. Nothing was said in the agreement in reference to stopping trains at the station. In 1844 the Norwich and Yarmouth railway was completed, and a station was constructed in accordance with the agreement, and called the Barney Arms Station, at which certain trains stopped. In 1845 the Norwich and Yarmouth Company was incorporated with the Norfolk Railway Company, and trains continued to stop at the station until 1850, when the Norfolk Company discontinued the practice. The plaintiff thereupon instituted this suit, praying for a specific performance of the agreement of June, 1843, and an injunction to restrain the Norfolk Company from permitting the trains on their railway to pass the Berney Arms Station without stopping thereat, which was, in effect, to compel the company to stop the trains at that station. The motion for the injunction did not come on, in consequence of an arrangement whereby the Norfolk Company agreed to stop at Berney Arms Station one train from Norwich and one from Yarmouth on every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. The Norfolk Railway was now worked by the Eastern Counties Railway on an agreement dated in 1854, which had received the sanction of the Legislature. The Eastern Counties Company were then made parties to the suit. Although the trains then stopped in a manner satisfactory to the plaintiff, there was no security that they would continue to do so. The Vice-Chancellor said there must be a specific performance of the agreement of June, 1843, and an order that one train from Norwich and one from Yarmouth should stop at Berney Arms Station on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday in every week; but he should also order that each of the companies should pay £100 to the plaintiff by way of costs. But for the plaintiff’s forbearance in this respect, it would be difficult to say whether the Eastern Counties Company would have escaped from the litigation with having nothing else to pay than the plaintiff’s ordinary costs.
December 14th 1860
The Norwich Operatic Union gave its second concert, at St. Andrew’s Hall. The programme included “Norma” and selections from “Il Trovatore.” The principal vocalists were Mdlle. Paripa, Mdlle. Vaneri, Mr. Santley, and Mr. Swift. Mr. Bunnett, B.M., conducted.
December 16th 1860
The first of a series of special services was conducted at Norwich Theatre, by the Rev. T. B. Stephenson, Wesleyan minister. “The boxes were reserved for the most respectable-looking, and the unmitigated plebs. were relegated to the pit and gallery. The occupants of the gallery conducted themselves as the gods usually do, and were rebuked by the preacher, who took up his position on the stage in front of the drop scene, surrounded by a number of persons of both sexes.”
December 25th 1860
This was the coldest Christmas that had been experienced for at least a century. “At the Literary Institute at Norwich the minimum registered was 3 degrees above zero. At Costessey the register was 7 degrees below zero, or 39 degrees lower than the point at which water freezes. A peculiarity of the temperature on Christmas-day was the fact of its being colder in the morning than during the night. The coldest register was between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m., and there was scarcely any appreciable variation till after two o’clock. Ice was about four inches thick.”
December 26th 1860
The pantomime at Norwich Theatre was entitled, “Cinderella, or the Little Glass Slipper and the Fairy Godmother from the Realms of Golden Palms.” Wombwell’s Menagerie was stationed on the Castle Meadow, and performances were given at the Royal Crystal Palace Amphitheatre, Golden Ball Street, under the management of Messrs. Emidy and Moffatt. The lessee was Mr. C. Testar.
December 27th 1860
Died at 36, Berkeley Square, London, in his 57th year, Dr. Edward Rigby. He was the eldest son of the celebrated Dr. Rigby, of Norwich, and was educated at the Grammar School, under Dr. Valpy. He graduated at Edinburgh, and subsequently commenced practice in London, where he gradually raised himself to the very highest branches of his profession.