January 4th 1857
During a violent gale from the north, several ships went ashore at Yarmouth. “The beach presented a melancholy appearance, from the number of vessels upon it.”
January 8th 1857
The Rev. A. C. Copeman was elected minister of the parish of St. Andrew, Norwich. The Revs. T. Rust, J. W. Cobb, and R. Wade withdrew from the contest, and Mr. Copeman defeated the remaining candidate, the Rev. J. W. Evans, by 96 votes to 33.
January 19th 1857
The D Battery, Field Artillery, commanded by Major Strange, marched from the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, _en route_ for Aldershot. P Field Battery arrived from Woolwich on the 21st, under the command of Major Hoste.
January 23rd 1857
A sea eagle was shot at Winterton. It measured from its beak to its tail 3 feet, and from tip to tip of its wings 8 feet.
January 27th 1857
A dinner was held at the Angel Inn, North Walsham, to celebrate the restoration of the Market Cross.
January 27th 1857
Died at his residence, Park Crescent, London, in his 70th year, the Hon. Sir Edward Hall Alderson, Baron of her Majesty’s Court of Exchequer. He was the eldest son of Mr. Robert Alderson, barrister-at-law, and Recorder of Norwich, by the daughter of Mr. Samuel Hurry, of Great Yarmouth, where he was born in 1787. He received his early education at the Charter House and at Caius College, Cambridge. Elected a Fellow of his college, he, in 1812, proceeded M.A. On being called to the Bar, he went the Northern Circuit. In conjunction with Mr. Barnewell, he edited five volumes of reports of cases heard in the Court of King’s Bench between 1815 and 1820. In 1830, though still wearing the stuff gown, he was promoted an additional puisne judge in the Court of Common Pleas, and received the honour of knighthood. In 1834 he was transferred from that Court to a puisne judgeship in the Court of Exchequer, where for many years he was second to Baron Parke. Baron Alderson was a careful, learned, and conscientious judge, though his mind was naturally inclined to take a rather hard and dry view of the question at issue, and to strip it, almost to a fault, of extraneous matter.
January 28th 1857
A singular action for defamation of character was tried before Mr. Justice Williams and a special jury in the Court of Common Pleas. Mr. Stephen English, Chief Constable of Norwich, was the plaintiff, and Capt. Black, Chief Constable of Norfolk, the defendant. The damages were laid at £3,000. According to the opening statement of Mr. Serjeant Byles, Capt. Black felt himself aggrieved that Mr. English should be styled Chief Constable of Norwich, and wrote to the Watch Committee several letters upon the subject, stating that Mr. English’s assumed title, instead of his proper title, “superintendent of police,” had caused him (Capt. Black) obstruction and official inconvenience in the discharge of his duties. These letters had no effect, and Capt. Black then published handbills reflecting upon the personal character of Mr. English. He stated that the antecedents of Mr. English in relation to other county forces were so disreputable as to cause his expulsion from more than one of them. This was the defamatory statement complained of. Many witnesses were examined on both sides, and on the 29th the jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff, damages £50. On February 13th Sir Henry Stracey, M.P., in Committee on the Chief Constables Bill, moved to insert in clause 4, “And whereas disputes having arisen as to the title of Chief Constable, for avoiding the same the title of Chief Constable shall be exclusively applicable to and borne by the officer appointed by the justices of any county in General or Quarter Sessions assembled, and the title Head Constable by the officer appointed by the Watch Committees of boroughs and cities.”
February 4th 1857
A servant girl, named Belinda Wilson, aged 18, was charged at the County Police Station, Norwich, with stealing, on January 3rd the sum of £90, in bank notes, the property of her master, Mr. William Claxton, farmer, of Stoke Holy Cross. After taking the money, Wilson attired herself in the clothes of a manservant, and starting from Flordon railway station, proceeded to Edinburgh, where she had some difficulty in obtaining change, as English notes were not in general circulation there. She obtained a new suit of clothes of sporting cut, and travelled from place to place “like a fast young man.” At the end of January she was again in the Eastern Counties, and took up her abode at Yarmouth. During a visit to Wombwell’s Menagerie, she was recognised by an old schoolfellow, through whom information was given to the police, who apprehended her at the Waterloo Tavern, St. Peter’s Road, where she was posing as “a lively-looking youth, and smoking a cigar.” She gave the name of James Smith. The prisoner was committed for trial, and at the Norfolk Quarter Sessions in March pleaded guilty, and was sentenced by Sir Willoughby Jones to two years’ imprisonment, with hard labour.
February 11th 1857
The new Corn Hall at East Dereham, erected on the sites of old shambles and slaughter-houses, was opened. A company of 250 guests assembled at dinner in the hall, under the presidency of Lord Sondes, who was supported by the Earl of Leicester, Lord Walsingham, Lord Hastings, Lord Suffield, the Hon. and Rev. E. S. Keppel, Mr. W. Bagge, M.P., Mr. G. P. Bentinck, M.P., Mr. E. Fellowes, M.P., the Mayor and Sheriff of Norwich, &c. The hall was built by a company, with a capital of £3,000. Its cost was about £1,800; Mr. J. B. Goggs, of Swaffham, was the architect, and Mr. Hubbard, of Dereham, the builder. (_See_ July 29th, 1857.)
February 14th 1857
“A few days since Mr. Wolton, grocer, of Norwich, received by the London post a letter enclosing the halves of notes to the amount of £140, with the intimation, written in a disguised hand, that about 14 years ago the writer, being in a place of trust in his establishment, had appropriated to himself this amount in a dishonest manner, and taken the present opportunity of returning it. On Friday morning came the other halves of the notes, with the request that the rest of the money might be acknowledged in the ‘Daily News.’”
February 20th 1857
An amateur dramatic performance was given at Norwich Theatre, “by a number of distinguished amateurs, most of whom had formed port of the _corps dramatique_ during the late campaign in the Crimea.” The pieces were “The Black Book,” a three-act drama by J. Palgrave Simpson; “The Thumping Legacy,” and “The Critic.” The performers appeared under fictitious names.
February 20th 1857
A singular action was tried at the Yarmouth County Court, before Mr. T. J. Birch. Mr. John Cobb sued Mr. G. D. Palmer and Mr. W. N. Burroughes for the recovery of certain money paid by the plaintiff at the request of the defendants for expenses incurred in contesting an election of councillors for the Market Ward in that borough on November 1st, 1851. Mr. Cobb was induced, on the solicitation of the defendants, who were leaders of the Liberal party, to offer himself as a candidate for the Market Ward. He was not anxious to become a councillor, but the defendants promised to “see him through,” and on the night before the election distinctly guaranteed him that he should be reimbursed any outlay incurred beyond the sum of £10. Mr. Cobb was defeated at the poll. It was not denied that the guarantee was given, but it was contended that, in order to render it valid to support the action, it should have been in writing, which it was not. The Judge concurred, and nonsuited the plaintiff. It was admitted, in the course of the hearing, that the money was applied “to bribery, vulgarly so-called.”
March 11th 1857
A conference was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, as to certain complaints respecting the management of the Eastern Counties lines of railway. The Mayor presided, and deputations were present representing the Eastern Counties Railway Company, the Norwich Corporation, and the town of East Dereham. The principal complaints, as stated by Mr. Tillett, had reference to unequal charges for the transit of goods, and the alteration in the price of market tickets. Mr. Love, the chairman of the company, assured the meeting that any communication made to the company would receive consideration.
March 16th 1857
The Norwich Free Library was thrown open for the use of the citizens. There was no formal ceremony, but in the evening the Rev. A. Bath Power delivered an inaugural address on the advantages of the study of literature and science. The building was erected at the total cost of £5,958, and the internal fittings increased the amount to £6,500.
March 19th 1857
At a meeting of the Conservative party in the Eastern Division of Norfolk, held at Norwich, it was decided that Mr. H. N. Burroughes and Sir Henry Stracey, Bart., should withdraw from contesting the return of General Windham and Sir E. N. Buxton. In West Norfolk, Mr. Bagge, “from private reasons, and from a desire not to disturb the peace of the county,” retired from the representation, and a compromise was effected whereby both parties concurred to support Mr. Brampton Gurdon, of Letton, and Mr. G. Bentinck, the sitting member.
March 21st 1857
The Bishop of Norwich issued an address to the clergy of the diocese, announcing that it was his intention to resign the duties of the episcopate. On April 21st the Corporation of Norwich voted an address to Dr. Samuel Hinds, “late Bishop of the Diocese.”
March 27th 1857
The nomination of Sir Samuel Bignold, Viscount Bury, and Mr. Henry William Schneider, as candidates for the representation of Norwich took place at the Guildhall. A poll was demanded on behalf of Mr. Schneider, and was opened on the 28th. The result was officially declared on the 30th: Viscount Bury, 2,227; Schneider, 2,235; Bignold, 1,631.
March 27th 1857
The Hon. F. Baring and the Earl of Euston were returned unopposed for the borough of Thetford.
March 27th 1857
The nomination of candidates for the representation of Great Yarmouth took place. Sir Edmund Lacon. Mr. McCullagh, Mr. Watkin, and Col. Vereker were proposed. The poll was opened on the 28th, and resulted in the return of the Liberal candidates: McCullagh, 609; Watkin, 590; Lacon, 521; Vereker, 451. (_See_ July 24th, 1857.)
March 27th 1857
Lord Stanley and Mr. J. H. Gurney were re-elected, unopposed, members for King’s Lynn.
March 29th 1857
Died at Hackford Hall, aged 80, the Ven. John Bedingfeld Collyer, archdeacon of Norwich, and vicar of Wroxham with Salhouse. He was the second son of the Rev. Daniel Collyer, of Wroxham Hall and of Necton, by Catherine, one of the daughters and co-heiress of John Bedingfeld, of Caston Castle and of Beeston. Educated at the Charter House, under Dr. Matthew Raines, he proceeded to Clare Hall, Cambridge, and after taking holy orders he married, in 1800, Catherine, daughter of William Alexander, eldest brother of the first Earl of Caledon, and granddaughter of Dr. Messenger Monsey, of Chelsea Hospital. In 1806–7, upon the threatened invasion of this country by Bonaparte, Mr. Collyer received a commission as a major of Volunteers, and acted with great energy and decision. In recognition of his services in his military capacity, he was made a deputy-lieutenant of the county and placed upon the commission of the peace. Throughout his life he was uniformly attached to Whig principles. He was succeeded in the archdeaconry by the Rev. R. E. Hankinson.
March 30th 1857
Mr. G. P. Bentinck and Mr. Brampton Gurdon were, at the Shirehall, Swaffham, nominated and returned unopposed as members for West Norfolk.
March 31st 1857
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Erle, the Grand Jury returned a bill of indictment against Jacob, Baron Hastings, for a misdemeanour “in endeavouring to incite Jacob Henry Tillett to fight a duel.” On the application of Mr. Power, a bench warrant for his lordship’s apprehension was issued. On April 1st Mr. Kent, solicitor, appeared on behalf of Lord Hastings, and applied for bail. His lordship was admitted to bail, himself in £200 and two sureties of £100 each. The Earl of Leicester and Lord Suffield were his sureties. The case was traversed to the next Assizes. Further proceedings were, however, withdrawn, after an interview between Lieut.-Col. Astley and Mr. Tillett. “His lordship,” it was stated “had no intention of sending a threatening or offensive message to Mr. Tillett, and he felt that an article published by Mr. Tillett on November 29th, 1856, was an unjustifiable attack upon him, which led to the warmth exhibited by his lordship in his interview with Mr. Tillett, for which his lordship expresses regret and withdraws his offensive epithets. Mr. Tillett, upon his lordship’s disavowal, withdraws any remarks offensive to his lordship is the article above alluded to, and expresses his regret that any unpleasantness should have arisen between Lord Hastings and himself.”
April 6th 1857
General Charles Ash Windham and Sir Edmund North Buxton were, at the Shirehall, Norwich, nominated and returned unopposed members for East Norfolk.
April 9th 1857
At a vestry meeting held at East Dereham, it was resolved that the Bath House, an unsightly building in the churchyard, be removed. “By the removal of this building, the burial-place of St. Withburga, an object of great local interest, will no longer be hidden to view.”
April 14th 1857
Intelligence was received in Norwich of the birth of a Princess (Princess Beatrice).
April 17th 1857
Mr. David Fisher, of the Princess’s Theatre, London, appeared at Norwich Theatre as John Mildmay (“Still Waters Run Deep”).
April 18th 1857
It was announced that the Hon. and Rev. John Thomas Pelham was to succeed Dr. Samuel Hinds as Bishop of Norwich. Mr. Pelham, who was the second son of the second Earl of Chichester, was born in 1811, and graduated at Oxford. In 1845 he married a daughter of Mr. Thomas William Tatten, and was appointed chaplain to the Queen in 1847. Shortly afterwards he was presented to the rectory of Berghapton, by the Earl of Abergavenny. In 1852 he removed to Christ Church, Hampstead, and in 1854 was nominated by the Crown to the rectory of St. Marylebone, on the death of Dr. Spry. On May 9th a special meeting of the Dean and Chapter was held at the Deanery, Norwich, when the _congé d’élire_, declaring the vacancy of the bishopric “and recommending to the Dean and Chapter the Hon. and Rev. John Thomas Pelham, M.A., to be by them elected Bishop of the See of Norwich,” was read, and Mr. Pelham was elected accordingly. The ceremony of confirming the election took place in the College of Advocates in Doctors’ Commons, on June 6th, and his lordship was consecrated at the parish church of St. Marylebone on June 11th, by the Archbishop of Canterbury. The installation took place at Norwich Cathedral on June 26th, and addresses were afterwards presented to his lordship by the Corporations of Norwich and Yarmouth.
April 25th 1857
“Lord Hastings has had an interesting addition to his collection of foreign animals in two wapiti deer, which are among the largest known of their species in North America. He has also an increase in a young kangaroo and three young nylgaus having been born the week before last at Melton Constable.”
April 25th 1857
The chancel of East Dereham church was re-opened, after “additional embellishment, through the liberality of the sinecure rector, the Rev. W. C. Wollaston.” The open roof was displayed by the removal of an unsightly ceiling, early English windows were substituted for those of more debased style, and a window by Wailes, as a memorial to Mrs. Wollaston, completed the series of stained glass windows. The reredos was illuminated by Messrs. King, of Norwich.
April 27th 1857
At Docking Petty Sessions it was stated, during the hearing of a case of assault, that the quarrel had its origin in a belief in witchcraft, “unfortunately too prevalent in most of the country villages.” The witnesses “displayed a great amount of ignorance and superstition, showing how the husband of the complainant had been bewitched and unable to move for twelve months, but was cured in two days by a witch doctor in the neighbourhood.”
April 27th 1857
The Yarmouth School of Navigation and Art was established at a house on the South Quay, formerly occupied by Mr. Paget.
May 7th 1857
The adaptation of steam power to ploughing was exhibited in a field belonging to Mr. Craske Roper, of Croxton Park, near Thetford. Two engines, fitted with an “endless railway,” were built by Mr. Burrell, of Thetford, and both were shown at work. “The new engine is like a railway locomotive, but with the addition of an apparatus, which answers the purpose of a railway, attached to the wheels. The endless railway consists of a series of flat boards, six in number, plated with iron on both sides of each wheel, equal in length to the radius of the wheel, and from 10 to 16 inches in width, loosely attached to the felloe of the wheel in such a manner that they are carried round with it as it revolves. Each in succession is laid flat on the ground in front of the wheel, and lifted up in its rear as soon as passed over. On the surface of the boards next the periphery of the wheel an iron rail is fixed, on which the wheel runs, the boards thus corresponding to the sleepers of an ordinary railway, so that the wheels carry their own rails and sleepers with them, laying down a literally endless railway whenever they are set in motion.”
May 11th 1857
A meeting was held in the old Library Room, St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, “to take into consideration the expediency of forming a society to prevent persons from taking and destroying fish by illegal practices.” It was resolved, “That an anglers’ society be established in Norwich, with the view of aiding the authorities in preventing illegal fishing, and also for promoting the rational recreation of the members.” The society was called “The Norwich and Norfolk Anglers’ Society,” and Mr. Skippon was appointed honorary secretary.
May 13th 1857
Mr. Thackeray gave the first of two lectures at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The subject was, “George the Third.” The second lecture was delivered on the 15th, and was entitled, “George the Fourth.” “A very general feeling of disappointment is expressed at the style and manner of the lecturer, and at the very high prices charged (4s. and 2s. 6d.). We have reason to believe that in some instances those who paid for tickets for the second evening intentionally absented themselves.” Letters were published in the NORFOLK CHRONICLE expressing strong disapproval of Thackeray’s strictures upon the personal characters of the Georges.
May 18th 1857
The polling for the election of a Coroner for the Lynn district, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Mr. George Sayle, commenced at Lynn. The candidates were Mr. Jeffery and Mr. Wilkin. “An extraordinary degree of energy was displayed in bringing up the voters in all parts of the district, and the expenses incurred in paying railway and coach fares, breakfasts, and dinners for the voters and hangers on (to say nothing of the sum of money lavished in other ways to obtain their suffrages, added to the usual outlay upon a contested election), must have amounted to something enormous, considering the pecuniary value of the office at stake, probably at the best averaging £25 or £30 a year.” The poll closed on the 19th, when Mr. Wilkin was declared elected.
May 18th 1857
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dillon commenced a three nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre in “Othello,” “Belphegor,” and “Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady.”
May 18th 1857
A meeting was held at the Lecture Hall, Norwich, at which resolutions were passed condemning the Law of Settlement, and advocating the introduction of a national rate. Another meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall on the 20th, at which similar resolutions were agreed to.
May 19th 1857
A sculling match, for £40, was rowed on the Yare, from Surlingham to Whitlingham (3½ miles), between Stephen Wright, of Norwich, aged 22, and J. H. Clasper, of Newcastle, aged 18. The former was trained by John Britcher, and the latter by his father. Clasper’s boat was the lighter by several pounds, and in length exceeded the Norwich man’s craft by about four feet. Wright had the better of the start, but in ten strokes Clasper led by a quarter of a length. At Bramerton, however, Wright obtained a clear lead, and at Wood’s End led by four lengths. Clasper made a desperate spurt, and got nearly abreast of his antagonist, who won by a length, in 23½ minutes. The Newcastle man suffered severely from exhaustion, and was lifted from his boat in a helpless condition. The return match was rowed on the Tyne, on July 24th, when Wright again won.
May 24th 1857
The yacht Zoe, 170 tons, belonging to the Earl of Yarborough, struck at midnight on the Lemon Sand, off Happisburgh, while on a voyage from the Isle of Wight to Grimsby. Lord Yarborough, with the captain and crew, took to the boats, and landed at Happisburgh Hill House.
May 26th 1857
Mr. George Dawson lectured at the Assembly Room, Norwich, on “Daniel Defoe.”
May 30th 1857
“Lord Orford has addressed the following letter to the editor of the ‘Morning Post’:—‘Sir, I enclose you a paragraph which appeared in your paper of the 21st inst., to the truth of which I desire you to give the most emphatic denial. It is a _rechauffé_ of the lie circulated some thirty years since in a London journal as a hoax, I presume, on the editor. At the time I did not think it worthy of contradiction, nor at my age should I deem it worthy of any such contradiction now, but am solely induced to do so for the satisfaction of those most justly dear to me.—Yours, &c., ORFORD. May 26th, 1857.’” (The paragraph here alluded to is the much-quoted reply purported to have been sent by the noble lord to the secretary of the Norwich Bible Society. It originally appeared in the “Freemen’s Journal,” Dublin.)
May 31st 1857
Died at his residence, Brighton, Mr. Charles Edmund Rumbold, of Preston Candover, Hants., aged 69. He represented for more than 37 years the borough of Great Yarmouth, for which he was first returned in 1818.
June 1st 1857
The Annual Moveable Committee of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows commenced its sittings at Norwich. There were 110 delegates present, and Mr. Cox (“Grand Master”) presided. The meetings, which were held daily at the Bazaar (afterwards known as Victoria Hall), concluded on the 6th. The dinner, held at St. Andrew’s Hall on the 3rd, was presided over by Sir Samuel Bignold, and in the course of the proceedings, Mr. Samuel Daynes was presented with a gift of 160gs., in recognition of the valuable work he had done for the Order.
June 1st 1857
Died at Costessey, aged 88, Mr. John Culley, one of the leading agriculturists of the county. “It was to him and a few others that the farmers in this locality are indebted for the establishment of the Hail Storm Society, and the subscriptions which followed the memorable hailstorm in this county a few years since.” Mr. Culley took a prominent part in the movement for the erection of the Norwich Corn Exchange.
June 11th 1857
A familiar object, known as the “Bassingham Gateway,” in London Street, Norwich, was sold by auction. The purchaser was Mr. William Wilde, and the price £12. The hope was expressed that this relic of antiquity would not be removed from the city. On September 5th it was announced: “The Bassingham Gateway has been erected at the magistrates’ entrance at the Guildhall, where it is quite out of character with the building, or, at any rate, that part of it. Above the gate are the arms of Henry VII., the arms of the Goldsmiths’ Company, to which its builder, Mr. John Bassingham, belonged, and of the city of Norwich. Having been cleaned, the carved work is brought out in bold relief.”
June 11th 1857
An amateur sculling match took place for £10, from Bramerton to Whitlingham (about three miles), between Mr. Henry Watling and Mr. Henry Balls. A foul resulted, Mr. Watling claimed stakes, and the referee, Mr. Vyall, decided in his favour.
June 13th 1857
“The Marine Parade (Yarmouth) may now be looked upon as completed, and certainly in almost every particular it has exceeded the expectations formed of it. It was planned and carried out under the immediate superintendence of the Town Surveyor, Mr. A. W. Morant, and the cost will not exceed the sum estimated, £1,700.”
June 16th 1857
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, the Grammar School Committee reported that the hearing took place, before the Master of the Rolls, on June 10th, of the suit, the Attorney-General _v._ Hudson, when the principal differences which had existed in reference to the new scheme for the administration of the School and Hospital had been amicably adjusted. The sum of £1,000 per annum, exclusive of the cost of buildings, was to be taken from the Great Hospital funds and appropriated, under the management of separate trustees, to the purposes of education. Two schools were to be established—a Grammar School and a Commercial School. The course of instruction in the Grammar School would embrace English, Latin, French, and German, &c., and in the Commercial School, English, French, and the rudiments of Latin, &c. Prizes and scholarships were to be given to both schools, and the boy who obtained an upper class scholarship in the Commercial School would be entitled to education in the Grammar School without cost. The payments for boys educated in the Grammar School were to range from 6 gs. to 8 gs. per year, and in the Commercial School 30s. per year. The masters were to be paid a fixed salary, besides which their stipends would be augmented in the Grammar School by four-sixths of the money received from the pupils, and in the Commercial School by three-sixths. (_See_ March 23rd, 1858.)
June 17th 1857
A revival of the Dereham Race Meeting attracted thousands of spectators to the Common. The subscriptions amounted to £150, and horses were run by Lord Suffield and other sportsmen of the county.
June 18th 1857
Workmen engaged in deepening a dry dock belonging to Mr. Ambrose Palmer, at Yarmouth, turned up in one spadeful from 700 to 1,000 silver pennies of Edward I. and of Alexander III., the contemporary King of Scotland. The coins were discovered 17 feet beneath the level of the quay.
June 23rd 1857
Mr. A. A. H. Beckwith, Governor of the Norwich Court of Guardians, performed the ceremony of turning the first sod upon the line marked out for the main front of the new Norwich Workhouse.
June 24th 1857
Mr. Spurgeon, “the celebrated revivalist,” preached two sermons at the Corn Exchange, Lynn, in aid of a fund for repairing the local Baptist chapel. Two thousand six hundred tickets were issued, and the collections amounted to £110 15s.
June 27th 1857
Died of cholera, at Kurnaul, aged 59, Major-General the Hon. George Anson, Commander-in-Chief of the troops in India. He was the second son of Thomas, first Viscount Anson, and brother of the first Earl of Lichfield, served in the Scots Fusilier Guards, and was present at the battle of Waterloo. In 1818 he was returned for Yarmouth, and represented the borough in several Parliaments before and after the passing of the Reform Bill. By hereditary descent and by personal conviction he was a Liberal in politics, and invariably sided with the leaders of the Whig party. He became Major-General on November 11th, 1851. He was a zealous patron of the Turf, on which he was better known as Colonel Anson.
July 1st 1857
A reformatory was established at Catton, by Mr. Wright, as an offshoot of a similar institution at Buxton.
July 4th 1857
Application was made in the Court of Chancery, before the Lord Chancellor, for a re-hearing of the case, Lombe _v._ Stoughton, which was decided in the year 1841, by the then Vice-Chancellor. The testator, Sir John Lombe, had left a large fund, to be applied to the purpose of building a mansion on his estate in Norfolk, with a direction that the fund should accumulate until the house was finished. Considerable delay took place in completing the house, and the fund increased to a very large amount, leaving a surplus of about £20,000. The Vice-Chancellor directed the fund to be applied to building purposes at a time when it was not known that the surplus would be so large, but the order was made without prejudice to any question as to the surplus. This surplus was now claimed by the representatives of the successive tenants for life, on the ground that they (the tenants for life) had been deprived of the enjoyment of the house, and were, therefore, entitled to the fund by way of compensation. The Lord Chancellor gave leave for the Vice-Chancellor to re-hear the case, if he found himself fettered by the wording of the decree. The Vice-Chancellor, on July 31st, ruled that what had been done was according to the intention of the testator, and held that the surplus must be considered as capital, and not income.
July 7th 1857
The Bishop of Norwich laid the first stone of the new church of St. John the Evangelist, erected at Yarmouth for the use of beachmen and sailors. (_See_ April 22nd, 1858.)
July 8th 1857
Mr. Arthur Preston, hon. secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society, was, at a dinner held at the Bell Hotel, under the presidency of the Mayor of Norwich, presented with a piece of plate, in recognition of his valuable services to the society.
July 17th 1857
The Mayor of Norwich (Mr. R. Chamberlin) was presented with a silver epergne, valued at 200 gs., “in recognition of the strict impartiality, sound judgment, and munificent hospitality which distinguished his official career as Mayor in 1854–5.”
July 24th 1857
A Committee of the House of Commons commenced the hearing of a petition lodged by Mr. Richard Ferrier, the elder, and Mr. E. H. L. Preston, against the return for Yarmouth of the sitting members, Messrs. M’Cullagh and Watkin. Bribery, treating, and undue influence were alleged. The inquiry lasted five days. On July 29th the Committee found that Messrs. M’Cullagh and Watkin were, by their agents, guilty of bribery, that they were not duly elected burgesses to serve in Parliament, that the election was a void election, and bribes had been paid. On August 10th, Mr. Adolphus William Young and Mr. John Mellor, Q.C., Liberals, were returned without opposition.
July 29th 1857
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Campbell, an indictment was preferred against the East Dereham Corn Exchange Company, for obstructing a certain highway over Lion Hill in that town by the erection of the hall, and further for obstructing Quebec Street and certain fairs and markets. The jury, after a long hearing, returned a verdict for the Crown, with the rider: “We find that there was a public highway over Lion Hill, and we find that there is an obstruction of that part occupied by the Corn Exchange Company, but we find that the public are materially benefited by the alteration, and on the second count we find for the defendants.” (_See_ May 5th, 1858.)
August 6th 1857
Robert Bunn, “the celebrated pedestrian,” on the Ipswich Road, Norwich, ran a mile against time for a wager of £25. “The wager was that he would not cover the distance in 4 minutes 45 secs. He accomplished the feat in 4 minutes 30 secs.”
August 13th 1857
A dinner was given in honour of General Windham, at the Corn Hall, North Walsham, on the eve of his departure for India, on the outbreak of the Mutiny.
August 15th 1857
“A report is going the round of the papers, copied from the Australian journals, regarding the death of the person known to our readers as Emily Sandford. We are assured by a gentleman who interested himself in her behalf in 1849 that Miss Sandford is not in Australia. She married a highly respectable merchant in 1850, with whom and their children she returned to Europe in 1855.”
August 20th 1857
The battery of Royal Artillery marched from the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, for Shorncliffe, to hold themselves in readiness for India.
August 24th 1857
The annual congress of the British Archæological Association was opened at Norwich, under the presidency of the Earl of Albemarle. The proceedings ended on the 28th. Caistor Camp, Lynn, Yarmouth, and Burgh Castle were among the places visited.
August 25th 1857
An extraordinary leap was made by a horse ridden by Mr. William Feek, horse trainer, of Norwich. “Mr. Feek, in the presence of a number of gentlemen, to show the power of the animal, jumped it over a high fence on Newmarket Road, without touching it, making a spring from point to point of 34 feet.”
September 1st 1857
Died at his residence in King Street, Norwich, Mr. Anthony Hudson, banker, aged 75. In early life he enjoyed the friendship of the Right Hon. William Windham, and had since been on intimate terms with the Windham family. For many years he took an active part in the management of the bank of Messrs. Harveys and Hudsons. After the passing of the Municipal Reform Bill, he was appointed a magistrate of the city, and for more than twenty years was a constant attendant on the Bench. He was chairman both of the “Church” and “General” list of Charity Trustees, a governor of the Bethel Hospital, and President of the Board of Directors of the Norwich Union Fire Office.
September 4th 1857
A troop of the 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars), under the command of Major Knox, arrived at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich. The headquarters followed, under the command of Colonel Key.
September 10th 1857
A public meeting of the citizens, convened by the Mayor and Sheriff, was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, “to take into consideration the best means of affording relief to the suffering Europeans in India whose lives have not been taken by the mutineers, but by whose conduct they are rendered entirely destitute.” It was decided to open a public subscription.
September 15th 1857
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced with a miscellaneous concert at St. Andrew’s Hall. Spohr’s sacred cantata, “God, Thou art Great,” Mendelssohn’s “Hymn of Praise,” and Mozart’s “Requiem” were performed on the morning of the 16th, and in the evening a miscellaneous concert was given. Beethoven’s “Mount of Olives” and Haydn’s “Seasons” were rendered on the morning of the 17th, and a miscellaneous programme was submitted at the evening concert. “The Messiah” was the attraction on the morning of the 18th, and the Festival concluded with a fancy dress ball at St. Andrew’s Hall in the evening. The vocalists engaged for the Festival were Madame Clara Novello, Mdlle. Leonhardi (her first appearance in England), Madame Weiss, Mrs. Lockey, Mdlle. Piccolomini, Signor Gardoni, Signor Guiglini, Mr. Lockey, Mr. Miranda, Mr. Weiss, and Signor Belletti. The receipts amounted to £4,348, and the expenses to £3,997.
September 23rd 1857
The first exhibition of the Wayland Agricultural Society was held at Watton under the presidency of Lord Walsingham.
October 7th 1857
By Royal Proclamation this day was observed as one of humiliation and prayer. At Norwich all the principal shops were closed, and services were held morning and evening at the parish churches. Collections were made on behalf of the sufferers by the Indian Mutiny.
October 22nd 1857
Mr. W. H. Russell, LL.D., the special correspondent of “The Times” during the Crimean War, delivered, at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, a lecture on the principal events of the campaign. He gave a second lecture on the 23rd.
October 22nd 1857
A terrible storm raged on the Norfolk coast. The brig Ontario, of South Shield’s, from Newcastle to Suez with coals (Capt., Balfour), foundered on the Barber Sand off Yarmouth, and drifting to the Cockle Gatway, was lost. The captain, his wife and son, and the crew of 24 hands perished. The chief mate, William Coates Robinson, alone escaped. The Zillah, of Whitby, from Hartlepool to London, commanded by Capt. Watson, was lost off Winterton, and five men, including the master, were drowned, out of the crew of eight hands. Upon the Norfolk coast between forty and fifty lives were lost. It was asserted that many lives would have been saved had the lifeboats and apparatus been in an ordinarily effective condition. The strictures made upon the life-saving service led to negotiations for the amalgamation with the National Society of the Norfolk Association for Saving the Lives of Shipwrecked Mariners.
November 2nd 1857
A troop of the 15th Hussars left Norwich for Coventry.
November 7th 1857
Mr. Cadge was elected surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in succession to Mr. B. H. Norgate, resigned. Mr. T. W. Crosse succeeded Mr. Cadge as assistant-surgeon.
November 9th 1857
Mr. Edward Field was elected Mayor, and Mr. Charles Crawshay appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 11th 1857
Intelligence was received in Norwich of the relief of Lucknow and the capture of Delhi.
November 20th 1857
Miss P. Horton (Mrs. German Reed) and Mr. T. German Reed gave their entertainment at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich.
November 28th 1857
Norwich Theatre was opened for the winter season. Mr. Sidney doubled the prices of admission to pit and gallery, and increased the prices of the dress and upper boxes. Tuesdays and Fridays were set apart as “subscription nights,” for the production of high-class plays and dramas. The manager intimated that the hire of silver tickets was illegal, “the Theatre deed requiring legal transfer and register with the proprietors’ solicitor to be available for admission.” A printed circular had been issued by a speculator, offering silver tickets for hire for the night, week, or the whole season, “on the usual terms.”
November 30th 1857
An alarming accident occurred in a building erected for equestrian performances at the Orchard Gardens, Norwich. Soon after the commencement of the entertainment, the supports of the gallery gave way, and the structure fell, with between 300 and 400 persons. “The whole mass of timber fell under the people, who, with their seats, were thrown outwards, rolling over one another. Strange to say, nobody was killed, no legs or arms broken, and nobody seriously hurt.”
December 1st 1857
The Wells and Fakenham Railway was opened. In 1853 the company was formed, with a capital of £70,000, £14,000 of which was contributed by the inhabitants of Wells, £10,000 by the Earl of Leicester, and £30,000 by the Norfolk Railway Company. Mr. G. Berkeley, of Great George Street, Westminster, was the engineer, and Mr. Solomon Treadwell the contractor. The opening-day was observed in the district as a general holiday. A special train was run over the nine and a half miles of line, the Earl of Leicester entertained a large party at Holkham, and in the evening his lordship presided over a public dinner, held at the Crown Inn, Wells.
December 5th 1857
“Norwich manufactures at present may be said to be almost at a standstill. There has not been so complete a state of stagnation for some years past. Hundreds of operatives who are usually employed at this season in the production of spring goods are now out of work.”
December 9th 1857
Mr. Alexander Hugh Baring was returned without opposition member of Parliament for the borough of Thetford, on the retirement of his father from the representation of the constituency.
December 14th 1857
A sculling match, for £10 a side, was rowed from Postwick Hall to Whitlingham Point, between John Wright and Lancaster. The former won easily.
December 22nd 1857
The Norwich Town Council adopted a motion in favour of the erection of a new Fishmarket.
December 23rd 1857
The West Norfolk Militia, which assembled on November 10th, 600 strong, left Norwich by rail for garrison duty. The headquarters and three companies, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Custance, proceeded to Chester; three companies, commanded by Major Bedingfeld, to Liverpool; and two companies, commanded by Capt. Marsham, to Stockport. The regiment returned to Norwich on April 23rd, 1858.
December 26th 1857
The pantomime at Norwich Theatre was entitled, “Harlequin Sinbad the Sailor, or the Princess with the Diamond Eyes and the Fairy of the Island of Jewels.”