January 21st 1856
Mr. John Coleman, lessee of the Worcester circuit, appeared at Norwich Theatre, in the character of Claude Melnotte. His other impersonations included Evelyn (“Money”), Hamlet, Richelieu, and Ingomar.
February 5th 1856
Madame Jenny Goldschmidt-Lind sang at a performance of “The Messiah,” at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich and on the 7th took part in a concert at which a miscellaneous programme was presented. The other performers included Mr. Lockey, Mr. Weiss, Miss Bassano. M. Otto Goldschmidt, and Mr. Swift. The total receipts amounted to £2,400, of which £351 was paid to the account of the Jenny Lind Infirmary.
February 11th 1856
The first performance of modern burlesque, “The Yellow Gnome,” by J. R. Planché, was given at Norwich Theatre on this date.
February 19th 1856
Mr. Henry Russell appeared at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in his entertainment, entitled, “The Far West, or life in America,” illustrated by a series of views “showing the different scenes of a transit from Liverpool to the American Continent.”
February 23rd 1856
“At the present time there are about forty manufacturers in Norwich, ten of them being producers of textile fabrics of various kinds. Altogether they now employ several thousand operatives in spinning yarns or in the production of immense quantities of goods composed of materials of that description.”
February 27th 1856
The Lord Bishop of the Diocese consecrated the new Cemetery at Norwich. Thirty-five acres of land were purchased by the Board of Health of Mr. John Cater, but only twenty-three acres were at first utilised. The buildings were erected by Messrs. Ling and Balls, from designs by Mr. Benest, city surveyor, for £1,990.
March 12th 1856
Mr. George Dawson, of Birmingham, delivered an address at the Lecture Hall, St. Andrew’s, Norwich, on “Martin Luther: his private life and character.” On the 17th he lectured on “Old Books: their uses, beauties, and peculiarities.”
March 13th 1856
Mrs. Fred Philips, for several years a favourite actress on the Norwich circuit, took her final leave of the stage at Norwich Theatre. The house was crowded, and between 300 and 400 persons were refused admission.
March 22nd 1856
Hoffman’s “Organophonic Band, or Human Voice Orchestra,” with Mr. Thurton, “the living Valentine Vox,” gave an entertainment at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The performance was repeated on the 24th and 25th, and the company made a return visit in April.
March 24th 1856
Mr. Walter Montgomery, a native of the city, commenced a six nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, during which he appeared as Virginius, Macbeth, Richard the Third, &c.
March 24th 1856
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, a letter was received from Mr. J. B. Morgan, hon. secretary to the Nelson Statue Committee, stating that it was proposed, on the suggestion of Sir Richard Westmacott, R.A., Professor of Sculpture, to remove the statue from the site it had occupied during the preceding eighteen months, in the Market Place, opposite the entrance to Dove Street, to a new site in the Upper Close, immediately facing the Grammar School. The statue was removed, on April 16th, to the site it now occupies.
March 30th 1856
Intelligence was received in Norwich of the signing of the Treaty of Peace. On the 31st (Monday) the bells of St. Peter Mancroft were rung, and flags hoisted upon the tower. In the evening fireworks were discharged in the Market Place, and, contrary to police regulations, a bonfire was lighted. It was extinguished by the constables, whereupon the mob broke many windows in the Market Place, and proceeded to the Castle Meadow, where a squib was thrown upon a waggon loaded with straw. When the fire brigade attempted to put out the flames, the firemen were stoned by the rioters, some of whom were apprehended, and punished next day by the magistrates. Peace was proclaimed on May 1st by the Mayor (Mr. J. G. Johnson) and the Sheriff (Mr. T. Steward), who were attended by the Town Clerk and Under-Sheriff. From an open carriage the Mayor read her Majesty’s Proclamation in the Market Place “and the other accustomed spots for such announcements.” Peace was celebrated on May 27th. The Royal Artillery paraded on Mousehold and fired a salute, and at one o’clock dinner was provided at St. Andrew’s Hall for the non-commissioned officers and men of the Artillery stationed in the city, for the recruiting and Militia staffs, for soldiers and sailors residing in the city who had been engaged in the war, and for the fathers, sons, and brothers of soldiers and sailors who had fallen in the war or who were then on active service. Upwards of 8,000 children assembled in Chapel Field, and walked in procession to the Market Place, where the National Anthem was sung, and immediately afterwards proceeded to Victoria Station, where they had tea. In the evening the Guildhall, Ethelbert Gate, St. Andrew’s Hall, the Shirehall, St. Giles’ church, Erpingham Gate, the gate at the Bishop’s Palace, and the Wellington and Nelson statues were illuminated. There were displays of fireworks in the Market Place and on Castle Meadow, where also a bonfire was lighted. On the 28th a ball was given at the Assembly Rooms. Similar celebrations took place at Yarmouth, Lynn, and other towns.
April 13th 1856
A serious gas explosion took place at Gurney’s Bank, Norwich. A clerk, named Utting, who detected an escape of gas, entered with a lighted candle the office of Mr. Mottram. A tremendous explosion followed. The walls were rent, the windows blown out, and the ceiling raised so that the gas escaped to the rooms above.
April 13th 1856
Died at his residence, Redwell Street, Norwich, Dr. Robert Hull, in his 62nd year. He was for many years upon the Commission of the Peace for the city, and was one of the physicians of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, a post which he resigned a short time before his death.
April 23rd 1856
Miss Cushman, the celebrated actress, appeared at Norwich Theatre as Meg Merrilies. On the 25th she performed the part of Romeo, to the Juliet of Mrs. Sidney.
April 25th 1856
The coming of age of Mr. William Amherst Tyssen Amhurst was celebrated at Didlington Park. Lord Berners formerly owned the estate, and in 1849 sold it to Lord William Powlett, from whom it passed by purchase to Mr. George Tyssen Amhurst, who effected many improvements upon the property. The celebration was carried out upon a scale of great liberality. A fine bullock, weighing 80 stones, was killed on the 21st, steamed on the 23rd, and roasted whole on the 25th in a temporary kitchen specially erected by Mr. Plowright, of Swaffham. A sheep of six stones weight was also roasted whole, and the total weight of the plum-puddings was 700 lbs. Immense quantities of beef, mutton, and pork were cooked in joints. Three tents, each 130 ft. in length, were provided for the accommodation of the guests, who numbered upwards of 550. The toast of “Miss Mitford, the future Mrs. Amhurst,” was drunk with great enthusiasm, and a series of athletic sports concluded the festivities. [_Note_: The spelling of the names in the original paragraph is adhered to. William G. T. Daniel Tyssen by licence exchanged the name of Daniel Tyssen for Tyssen-Amhurst: his son, by a second licence, altered it to William Amhurst Tyssen-Amherst.]
May 5th 1856
The close of the season at Norwich Theatre was marked by the public presentation to Mr. William Sidney of a handsome silver salver and vase, “in recognition of his judicious management as lessee.” It was one of the most successful seasons that had been recorded for many years.
May 7th 1856
Died at her house in Green Park Buildings, Bath, aged 76, Lady Betty, widow of Rear-Admiral Sir Edward Berry, Bart., K.C.B., and eldest daughter of Dr. Forster, formerly headmaster of the Norwich Free Grammar School.
May 11th 1856
The centenary of the opening of the Octagon Chapel, Norwich, was celebrated. A dinner was held at the Royal Hotel on the 13th, under the presidency of Mr. John Taylor, F.R.S.
May 31st 1856
A fire took place on the premises of Mr. Ineson, rag and bone merchant, St. Andrew’s, Norwich. In addition to the total destruction of Mr. Ineson’s property, the workshops of Mr. Fisher, builder, and the paint shop of Mr. Turner were burnt down.
May 31st 1856
In the Rolls Courts Sir John Romilly gave judgment in the case of the Norwich Yarn Company, which came before the Court upon appeal from the Master’s certificate. The question was whether the directors of the company were entitled to levy contributions upon shareholders, in order to pay certain sums advanced or borrowed by them for carrying on the business of the company, which had become insolvent. Originally projected in 1833, with the view of relieving the distress which at that time affected the poor of Norwich, the company struggled on with increasing difficulties for sixteen years, until in 1850 it was wound up by order of the Court. His lordship now discharged altogether a question of fraud on the part of the directors. He was of opinion that the directors were entitled to be allowed all sums advanced by them, with simple interest at five per cent., and to be repaid that amount as far as the sum in Court would extend, with payment of the costs, and afterwards by a surplus raised by a call from the contributors in proportion to the number of shares held by them respectively, and that the cost of the proceedings must be borne by the estate of the company.
June 3rd 1856
The Rev. J. Alexander was presented with a purse containing £500, and a clock, on the occasion of his entering the fortieth year of his ministry at Prince’s Street Independent chapel, Norwich. The Rev. S. Titlow and other clergymen of the Church of England were present.
June 7th 1856
A male specimen of Savi’s warbler, the rarest of British marsh warblers, was shot near Brundall. “This is the only bird of the species obtained in the county since 1842, when a pair were killed at South Walsham, which, with one in the Norwich Museum, are all that are known to have occurred in Norfolk. The one in the Museum was obtained by the Rev. James Brown, at Limpenhoe, in the early part of the century.”
June 21st 1856
At a meeting held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, it was decided to establish a pack of foxhounds in Norfolk, and to invite Lord Suffield to become master. The first meet of the pack took place at Melton Constable Park, on November 25th.
June 23rd 1856
A panorama, with the present form of variety entertainment, was exhibited for the first time at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich, by Mr. J. Batchelder. The views were illustrative of a tour in Southern Africa.
June 25th 1856
The left wing of the West Norfolk Militia arrived at Norwich from Fermoy, co. Cork; the right wing reached the city on the 26th. An influential deputation of the inhabitants of Fermoy, prior to the departure of the regiment, presented to the colonel a farewell address, in which they congratulated him upon having the command of “so highly respectable and well disciplined a corps.”
July 5th 1856
A fine brig of 200 tons was launched from Mr. J. S. Southgate’s shipyard at Wells-next-the-Sea. She was christened the Rambler, by Miss Ellen Rump. From Mr. Henry Tyrrell’s yard at Wells, on September 3rd, was launched a new schooner, called the Gem.
July 11th 1856
The Testerton estate, near Fakenham, comprising a residence and 676a. 3r. 6p. of arable and pasture land, let on lease to Mr. Thomas Henry Case, at a rental of £1,105 per annum, was sold at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, by Mr. Butcher, for £34,500, exclusive of timber. The purchasers were the trustees of Mr. John Morse, deceased.
July 16th 1856
Building sites in London Street, Norwich, were offered for sale by Mr. F. Clowes. “The highest price made was at the rate of 9s. 0½d. per square foot, or £20,000 per acre.”
July 16th 1856
The new cemetery at Yarmouth was consecrated by the Right Rev. Bishop Spencer, acting for the Lord Bishop of the Diocese.
July 21st 1856
An inquiry was opened at Yarmouth by Mr. W. D. Boase, one of her Majesty’s Charity Commissioners, “into the present circumstances and administration of the various endowed charities existing in the borough, with the view of hearing any complaints that might be made, and to suggest improvements in the disposition of the funds.” The inquiry concluded on the 24th.
July 23rd 1856
A performance of Costa’s “Eli” was given by the Norwich Choral Society, at St. Andrew’s Hall. The principal vocalists were Madame Rudersdorff, Miss Dolby, Mr. George Perren, Mr. A. Mann, Mr. Weiss, and Mr. Thomas. A performance of the same oratorio, under the personal direction of the composer, had already been advertised by Mr. Gedge, of Heigham Grove. The Mayor (Mr. J. G. Johnson) had given permission for the use of the hall, and his action was sharply criticised at the meetings of the Town Council and in letters to the newspapers. The following announcement was published on July 19th: “‘Eli,’ for the benefit of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, under the direction of Mr. Costa. Postponed. Mr. Gedge respectfully informs the public of the county and city that, as the Town Council has thought fit to set aside the Mayor’s prerogative and fixing a day for the performance in opposition to the one he announced under the early sanction and promise of the Mayor for the Assize week, in St. Andrew’s Hall, and as the Council thought fit, at their last meeting, to determine on other restrictive demands, of which he received a legal notice this day, he has resolved to postpone ‘Eli,’ under Mr. Costa’s direction, until a future opportunity, when he trusts he shall be able to benefit the charities and at the same time to gratify the public.”
July 26th 1856
On this date was published a report of the action, Beaven _v._ Lord Hastings, heard before the Vice-Chancellor, Sir W. P. Wood. This was a bill by a bond creditor of Edward Astley, deceased, praying an account of the sum due for principal and interest upon his bond, and a decree for payment against the defendant, Lord Hastings, on the ground that he had made himself personally liable to pay the debt without regard to a sufficiency of the assets of the late Edward Astley. The bill also brought the declaration that the defendant had constituted himself executor _de son tort_ of the intestate Edward Astley, and was accountable on that footing to the plaintiff as the rightful administrator of the intestate. Mr. Astley, who resided at Eneilles, in Belgium, having borrowed £1040 from the plaintiff, gave his bond, dated July 3rd, 1845, by which he became bound to the plaintiff in the penal sum of £2,080, with the condition for defeasance upon payment on July 3rd, 1847, of £1,040 with interest at 5 per cent. A warrant of attorney at even date was executed by Edward Astley, but no judgment was ever actually entered up under the warrant. In April, 1846, the dead body of Edward Astley was found, with marks of violence upon it, in the River Ourthe in Belgium. Lord Hastings and his mother, Dame Hester Astley, his sole next-of-kin, proceeded to Eneilles with his solicitor, and applied to the Juges de Paix to remove the seals and give him possession of his brother’s property. A _procès verbal_ having been signed, possession of the property, “without description or inventory,” was delivered to Lord Hastings, who, by thus taking possession _pur et simple_ became personally liable, according to the Belgian law, to pay the debts of the intestate, without reference to the value of assets. The Vice-Chancellor dismissed the bill, on the ground that the defendant, who had legally received the property in Belgium, could not be sued in England as executor _de son tort_.
August 1st 1856
General Windham was received in Norwich with a great demonstration of welcome, on his return to his native county. The hero of the Redan travelled from London by the Eastern Union line, and was presented with congratulatory addresses at various stations along the route. At Victoria Station he was met by the Mayor and Corporation of Norwich, the Earl of Albemarle, Lord Hastings, Lord Bury, &c., and escorted by the Royal Artillery, proceeded to the Guildhall, where he was presented with an address. A banquet, attended by officers of the Army and Navy connected with Norfolk and Norwich who had served in the Crimea, was given in honour of the General, at St. Andrew’s Hall. The Earl of Albemarle presided, and on behalf of the subscribers to the Windham Testimonial Fund, presented the General with a service sword and a dress sword.
August 2nd 1856
Several deaths were reported to have occurred from small-pox at Lynn. “In no instance has death ensued here after vaccination.”
August 9th 1856
It was reported that at the Suffolk Assizes, at Ipswich, an action was brought by the Commissioners of Yarmouth Harbour, in the name of their clerk (Mr. Preston), pursuant to the direction of the Master of the Rolls, against the Norfolk and Eastern Counties Railway Company. The plaintiff complained that the defendants had wrongfully diverted and obstructed the waters of the Yare, the Wensum, and the Waveney, which of right ought to flow into and through Yarmouth Harbour, and had turned them into Lake Lothing, and thence into the sea through Lowestoft Harbour. The Eastern Union, the Norfolk, and the Eastern Counties Railways, had entered into an agreement for amalgamation, by virtue of which the latter company assumed the entire control over the network of railways constructed by those companies and the East Anglian Company, and, among other matters, they undertook the duties created by the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Act, one of which was the maintenance of Mutford Bridge where Lake Lothing joined Oulton Broad, for the double purpose of keeping in the fresh waters of the Yare and Waveney and preserving them for the use of Yarmouth Harbour, and of keeping out the waters of the sea, which would otherwise flood all the low lands at high water. These duties had not been discharged to the satisfaction of the plaintiffs. After discussion, terms of reference to Mr. B. Andrew, Q.C., were arranged, the defendants undertaking to repair the locks at once, the plaintiffs being let in to complain of acts of omission as well as of commission on the part of the defendants. A verdict was then taken for the plaintiffs, subject to a special case. (_See_ January 26th, 1858.)
August 15th 1856
Lieut.-Col. Edwin Wodehouse, C.B., Royal Artillery, on revisiting his former home at Hingham, after his return from the Crimea, was presented with an address by the inhabitants of the town. He was the eldest son of Admiral Wodehouse. At Inkerman a battery called “Wodehouse’s Battery” was furiously attacked and nearly all the men cut down by overpowering numbers of the enemy. By heroic courage and determination he rescued from the enemy the three guns lost early in the action. Two slugs passed through his cloak, and one, if not two, horses were killed under him.
August 18th 1856
The London Grand Opera Company commenced a season at the Theatre Royal, Norwich. The _artistes_ included Miss Rebecca Isaacs, Miss Fanny Reeves, Mr. Borrani, Mr. Oliver Summers, Mr. J. B. Bowler, and Mr. Elliott Galer. Among the operas produced were “La Somnambula,” “The Bohemian Girl,” “Maritana,” “Lucia Di Lammermoor,’” “Fra Diavolo,” “Norma,” and “Daughter of the Regiment.” The company came direct from Drury Lane Theatre, on the termination of the season there.
August 24th 1856
Died at Blofield, Captain Onslow, R.N., in his 61st year. He entered the Navy in 1810, saw much active service, and returned to Portsmouth from Rio de Janeiro with upwards of 888,000 dollars on June 3rd, 1833. He was advanced to post rank on August 27th, 1834, and was lastly, from July 23rd, 1842, until paid out of commission in the early part of 1847, employed in the Pacific, on board the Daphne, 18.
August 26th 1856
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, the Paving Committee reported in favour of a scheme for draining the northern part of the city, at the total cost of £7,893, according to plans prepared by Mr. E. E. Benest, city surveyor. The Council declined to adopt the scheme, on the ground that the city could not afford to undertake it.
September 1st 1856
A storm of great severity occurred. The district in which it was most felt was across the track of marsh land lying between Bungay and Ormesby. At Yarmouth the outbreak began at six p.m., and lasted till midnight. Several cottages were flooded, and one fell, in consequence of its being undermined by the water.
September 1st 1856
The first meeting of the provisional committee for erecting the Britannia Pier, Yarmouth, was held at the Angel Hotel, under the presidency of Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., M.P. The estimated cost was £3,900. The pier was opened on July 13th, 1858.
September 14th 1856
A white stork was shot in the plantation of Mr. R. H. Saye, at North Pickenham. Its wings measured 6 ft. 3 in. from tip to tip, it was 4 ft. in length, and weighed 8 lbs. The bird was preserved by Mr. T. Ellis, of Swaffham.
September 23rd 1856
Mdlle. Piccolomini gave a concert at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. Among the _artistes_ from Her Majesty’s Theatre who accompanied her were Mdlle. Firioli, Signor Belletti, Mr. Charles Braham, Signor Beneventano, and Signor Pilotti.
September 27th 1856
“During the past fortnight the catch of herrings at Yarmouth has been almost unprecedented in the annals of the fisheries. In many instances the boats have entered the harbour so heavily laden that their gunwales were almost level with the water. In the last ten days it is computed that the quantity of herrings brought in and landed here from the various boats has reached the enormous daily average of 100 lasts, or 1,320,000 fish. From £12 10s. to £14 per last has been realised; but in some cases this abundance of fish has proved most disastrous to the owners, entailing the loss of the boats’ nets, stores, &c. Mr. J. T. Frosdick has sustained in this way the entire loss of the nets of two boats, to the serious extent of £450, for, owing to the enormous catch of fish, the men were quite unable to draw the nets on board, and ultimately the weight proved so great that they sunk the nets and all to the bottom of the sea.”
September 30th 1856
The festival of the Choir Benevolent Fund was held at Norwich Cathedral. In addition to those of Norwich, choirs from London, Ely, Cambridge, Rochester, Peterborough, and Canterbury took part. The total sum accruing from the festival amounted to £273 0s. 9d.
October 1st 1856
Died, in his 83rd year, the Rev. James Brown, B.D., Hon. Canon of Norwich, and for fifty years vicar of St. Andrew’s, Norwich. “For more than twenty years chaplain of the county prison, he was one of the earliest advocates of educational efforts being directed towards prisoners, and in his practical suggestions may be traced the germ of much that is valuable in our reformatory institutions. He lived long enough to see similar views generally adopted and made compulsory by the State. His duties as chaplain were performed during a period when capital punishments were much more frequent than now, and this gave him the opportunity of seeing vice in its most degrading forms, and to hear from the lips of its victims the repentance which the certain approach of death and judgment generally extracted from them.”
October 6th 1856
The church of the Holy Trinity, Hempton Green, was opened by the Bishop of Norwich.
October 6th 1856
The corner-stone of the new Corn Hall at Aylsham was laid by the Marquis of Lothian.
October 7th 1856
Died at Calais, aged 60, Capt. Charles Thurtell, R.N., son of Mr. Thomas Thurtell, of Lakenham.
October 16th 1856
The Earl of Albemarle addressed a large meeting of the industrial class at the Corn Hall, Diss, upon the subject of “Benefit Clubs.” In the course of his remarks, he asserted “the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows is humbug from beginning to end.” The action of his lordship evoked a large amount of newspaper correspondence, and on November 6th Mr. Samuel Daynes, a former “Grand Master” of the Unity, introduced at Diss a Mr. Reeve, who delivered an address to rebut the assertions of Lord Albemarle.
October 20th 1856
Mr. Fred Phillips’ dramatised version of Mrs. Beecher Stowe’s romance of “Dred” was produced at the Surrey Theatre, and was favourably noticed by the critics. At the same theatre, on January 19th, 1857, was produced the comedy, “A Bird in the Hand is worth Two in the Bush,” by the same author.
October 29th 1856
At a meeting held at Yarmouth, it was resolved to take the necessary steps towards placing the Nelson column in a proper state of repair.
November 1st 1856
Mr. T. D. Eaton, president of the Choral Society, was presented by the members, at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, with a silver snuff-box and silver inkstand. “Mr. H. Pierson, the author of the oratorio ‘Jerusalem,’ and of the opera ‘Faust,’ was present, and wrote a drinking song for the occasion, dedicating it to the president.”
November 5th 1856
Died at Liverpool, Mr. Charles Hodgson, formerly of Norwich. He was one of the mathematical tutors at Norwich Free Grammar School during the headmastership of the Rev. Edward Valpy, and nearly the last surviving member of the Norwich Society of Artists, established in 1803.
November 9th 1856
The down parliamentary train was on its way from Thetford to Harling when the engine left the metals, mounted the bank by the side of the line, and, after running forty yards, turned over upon its side, crushing the driver to death. The accident was occasioned by the breaking of the tire of the leading wheel of the engine. A few minutes after the accident a goods up-train ran into the tender of the disabled engine, but only a slight collision resulted.
November 10th 1856
Mr. Robert Chamberlin was elected Mayor, and Mr. Robert Seaman appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 13th 1856
A sculling match, for £100, between Henry Kelly, of Fulham, and Richard Buttle, of Norwich, was rowed on the Thames, from Putney to Mortlake. Kelly won, by little more than half a boat’s length. Time, 25 minutes. The return match was fixed to take place on the Yare, from Surlingham to Thorpe, on November 25th, but owing to a dispute as to the appointment of referee, the race was postponed until the 26th, when Kelly, who rowed the distance, about 4½ miles, in 37½ minutes, won easily.
November 19th 1856
Died, the Right Hon. Julia Barbara, Lady Stafford, wife of Henry Valentine, 9th Baron Stafford, daughter of Edward Howard, of Glossop. Her ladyship was born in 1807. The interment took place at the private chapel at Costessey, on November 27th.
November 29th 1856
Snow began to fall, and soon reached a greater depth than had been recorded in Norfolk for many years previously. At nine o’clock on the morning of December 4th the thermometer stood at 16 deg.; the reading of the same instrument, in the same place, at eleven a.m. on December 6th was 60 deg. In thirty-six hours from ten to twelve inches of snow had disappeared, and the weather thenceforth was very mild.
December 2nd 1856
At the Norwich Police Court, George Holl and Stephen Gilbert, of Magdalen Road, were charged by the Commissioners of Inland Revenue with having an illicit still. Holl was fined £50, and Gilbert £200.
December 3rd 1856
The “exercise” written by Mr. Edward Bunnett, of Norwich, “to qualify himself for taking the degree of Bachelor of Music, was performed with great success in the chapel of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.”
December 25th 1856
Died, in St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Mrs. Ann Jean, widow of Mr. Roger Jean, artist, in her 74th year.
December 26th 1856
Boxing Day was, for the first time, observed in Norwich as a _general_ holiday, “none of the shops being opened in the Market Place or principal streets.” The pantomime of “Bluebeard, or the Demon Curiosity,” was produced at the Theatre, and the other amusements included Brown’s Circus, with the spectacles, “St. George and the Dragon,” and “Mazeppa”; and Wombwell’s Menagerie on Castle Meadow.