January 8th 1853
M. Gompertz’s panorama of the invasion of British India by the Sikh Army of the Punjaub was exhibited at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich. One of the scenic attractions was a representation of “the crypt of the Holy Sepulchre, under three distinct aspects,” a dioramic illusion which forms a popular feature in similar entertainments at the present day.
January 13th 1853
A miraculous escape was recorded at Swaffham. A drunken man named Edward Horsepool went into the yard of the Angel public-house, at three o’clock in the morning, with the intention of lying down in a shed. By mistake he opened the door of the covering of a disused well, and stepping in, fell to the bottom, a depth of 117 feet. A tramp sleeping in the shed was awakened by the man’s cries, and gave an alarm. Mr. William Laxon, collar maker, procured ropes, and Horsepool was rescued uninjured, after having been half an hour in 20 feet of water. He had kept his head above the surface by clinging to the broken sides of the well.
January 22nd 1853
In the Prerogative Court, before Sir J. Dodson, was tried the action Gilbert (administratrix of Woolner) _v._ Hammond. It had reference to granting administration, with will annexed, to the goods of Miss Margaret Creak, of Norwich, who died on June 5th, 1850, possessed of personal property of about £30,000 and realty of the estimated value of £500 per annum. The will bore date January 13th, 1844, and its effect was to leave, with some trifling exceptions, the personal property to Mr. Woolner, a chemist and druggist, who was also appointed executor. The will was originally propounded by Woolner, who afterwards committed suicide, and his sister, Mrs. Gilbert, now applied for probate, as his administratrix, which was, in the first instance, opposed by Mrs. Hammond, a cousin-german and one of the next-of-kin of the deceased, but she died during the pendency of the suit, and her husband subsequently took up the case. When the disposition of the property became known, a great many rumours were put in circulation, imputing foul play to Mr. Woolner, which was the cause of his committing suicide. Judgment was pronounced, on Feb. 4th, in favour of the will. The Judge said the relatives had a right to inquire into the transaction, and had they confined themselves within due limits would have been entitled to costs out of the estate; but they had persisted down to the close of the argument in charges which they had failed to prove, and, therefore, in decreeing probate of the will to Mrs. Gilbert, he must accompany it with the condemnation of Mr. Hammond in £100 costs, _nomine expensarum_.
February 17th 1853
Mr. C. J. Palmer, at a meeting of the Yarmouth Town Council, called attention to the unsatisfactory condition of the Corporation records, and stated that many of the documents in existence in Manship’s time no longer existed, whilst several others belonging to the town were in the hands of private individuals in Norwich. A committee was appointed to examine and schedule the charters and rolls, and to avail themselves of the services of Mr. Henry Harrod, of Norwich, “for their better elucidation and classification,” at an expense not exceeding £20.
February 18th 1853
The first snowfall of the season occurred on this date, and was heavier than had been known for several years. The mails were delayed, and great inconvenience occasioned. The morning train from London was detained for fourteen hours at Lakenheath. At Lynn, on the 23rd, the tide rose to a great height, and the low-lying parts of the town were under water. A breach occurred in the river bank near Magdalene, and occasioned the loss of much live stock and farm property.
February 21st 1853
Died at Leeds, aged 69, the Rev. Robert Fountaine Elwin, rector of Wilby-with-Hargham. He was well known in Norwich for the active part he had taken in the Musical Festivals from their commencement. A few years before his death he retired to Leeds, where he resided with his only daughter, Mrs. Hyde. Mr. Elwin not only possessed fine musical taste, but was skilled in mechanics, and an excellent connoisseur of the fine arts. “Whether in the company of the great, presiding at the Choral Society’s meetings, or lecturing to mechanics, it was always delightful and instructive to listen to him.” Mr. Elwin’s paternal grandfather married a granddaughter of Oliver Cromwell.
February 24th 1853
In the House of Commons, Capt. Baldero presented a petition from certain electors at Norwich, who had petitioned the House against the return of the sitting members, complaining that their petition had been withdrawn without their consent, and praying that the order discharging the petition might again be put on the orders of the House. Mr. T. Duncombe presented a protest from Col. Dickson, complaining of the withdrawal of the petition. It was alleged that Mr. Brown, the Parliamentary agent, had been guilty of a breach of privilege by withdrawing the petition. A motion for printing the petition was agreed to. On March 2nd a Select Committee was appointed to inquire into the matter. The investigation commenced on March 10th, and concluded on March 17th, on which day Mr. Duncombe brought up the report of the Committee. They were of opinion that Mr. Brown had received no instructions to withdraw the petition, but as they could find no precedent as to the proper mode of proceeding under the circumstances, they left it to the House to determine whether it could comply with the prayer of the petitioner. On March 12th a great Liberal meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. Coaks), at which resolutions were adopted expressing indignation at the allegations made before the Select Committee with regard to Messrs. Peto and Warner. A duel was to have been fought between Col. Dickson and Col. Forester (a witness before the Committee) on March 19th, but “at the eleventh hour the matter was fortunately adjusted by the friendly interposition of an hon. member who sits on the opposite side of the House. Mr. Culpepper represented Col. Dickson, and Mr. Craven Berkeley, M.P., was the friend of Col. Forester.” It subsequently transpired that the withdrawal of the petition formed part of an arrangement and compromise entered into between Mr. Henry Edward Brown and Mr. James Coppock, solicitor, in pursuance of which eight petitions were simultaneously withdrawn, as implicating the seats of ten members of the House, namely, Norwich, 2; Kidderminster, 1; Gloucester, 1; Middlesex, 1; Youghal, 1; County Down, 2; and West Norfolk, 2.
February 24th 1853
At Norwich Quarter Sessions, before the Recorder, Mr. Prendergast, the appeal case, Colman _v._ Clarke, was heard. Mr. Evans and Mr. Palmer were for the appellants, and Mr. Hawkins and Mr. Bulwer for the respondent. It was proved that in the early part of May, 1852, Messrs. Colman established at Carrow a business for the manufacture of cake from refuse rice, and it was alleged that after the process had been carried on for a short time offensive smells were observed in the neighbourhood. The firm were summoned before the magistrates for permitting a nuisance, and were fined. They now appealed against the conviction, on the ground of informalities in the original proceedings, and of want of jurisdiction on the part of the magistrates. The conviction was quashed.
February 28th 1853
Hengler’s Circus and Roman Amphitheatre, Castle Meadow, Norwich, was opened with the production of a grand equestrian spectacle, entitled, “Kenilworth Castle.”
March 9th 1853
Died at his residence, Great Stanhope Street, London, in his 78th year, General Sir Edward Kerrison, Bart., K.C.B., G.C.H. He entered the Army in 1796, as Cornet in the 6th Dragoons, and received the rank of General in 1851. He served at the Helder in 1799, and in 1808 took part in the campaign of Sir John Moore, and was present at the battle of Corunna. As Colonel Kerrison, he commanded the 7th Hussars from 1813 to 1815, through various campaigns. At the battle of Orthes he received a severe wound, and he was again wounded in the battle of Waterloo, where his horse was shot under him. Sir Edward Kerrison received his baronetcy in 1821, when he was nominated a G.C.H., and in 1840 a K.C.B. In 1830 he was appointed to the colonelcy of the 14th Light Dragoons. For forty years he was member of Parliament for Eye. He married a daughter of Mr. Alexander Ellice, and left a son and three daughters.
March 12th 1853
Died at Pulham, Mr. Cornelius Whur, the author of several volumes of poems. He was known as “the Suffolk Poet.”
March 19th 1853
The Rev. William Beauchamp was driving down the hill into Trowse when his horse ran away and upset the gig. In his fall he sustained a severe fracture of the skull and died instantly. Mr. Beauchamp, who was the second son of Sir William Beauchamp Proctor, Bart., of Langley-park, was 35 years of age, and had been rector of Chedgrave about ten years. He left a widow and five young children.
March 21st 1853
Three hundred members of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows dined at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, and presented to Mr. Samuel Daynes, Past Grand Master of the Unity, a purse of 133 sovs., in recognition of his exertions in promoting the interests and extension of the Order during his year of office.
March 29th 1853
A vessel named the Reindeer, belonging to the port of Yarmouth, owned by Mrs. King, of Gorleston, and commanded by Captain Wilson, was on her voyage from Valparaiso to Monte Video when the crew mutinied, and murdered the captain, steward, and two Roman Catholic priests (passengers). The mutineers then launched a boat, filled it with the most valuable portion of the cargo, and scuttled the ship.
April 4th 1853
A fire occurred at Hunstanton Hall. The rooms were quickly cleared of the paintings and furniture, which were safely deposited in the school house. There being no possibility of saving the south and west sides, great efforts were made to preserve the north and east sides, with which object the communicating portions of the building were broken down, and the flames thus prevented from extending. In a few hours the roof of the west side fell in. “The bed in which it is generally believed Queen Elizabeth slept was not injured in the slightest degree.” The damage to the hall was estimated at £10,000.
April 7th 1853
Intelligence was received at Norwich of the birth of a Prince (Prince Leopold), at Buckingham Palace. Flags were hoisted on the public buildings, and peals rung upon the bells of St. Peter Mancroft.
April 19th 1853
The men enrolled to serve in the First or West Norfolk Regiment of Militia assembled at Norwich for twenty-eight days’ training. The officers were: Col. the Earl of Orford, Lieut.-Col. Nelthorpe, Major William E. Lytton Bulwer, Captains Hamilton F. Custance, Charles Bedingfeld, the Hon. Fred. Walpole, George A. Marsham, Mordaunt Glasse, H. L. Styleman le Strange; Lieutenants M. Gooda, Gordon Calthrop, Thomas S. Clarke, H. D. Walff, C. Girling, Chas. E. Bignold, John Edwin Day, A. W. Smith, Robert G. Hawtayne; Ensign Thomas Edward Baker; Adjutant and Acting Paymaster and Acting Quartermaster A. W. Smith; Surgeon Thomas W. Crosse; Assistant Surgeon T. E. Baker. The mess was at the Swan Hotel. “The corps consists of 612 men, and notwithstanding the vulgar sneers, reproaches, ridicule, and even hooting which they experienced from the rabble on their first appearance in the streets, in no instance was this conduct resented. We are glad that the conduct of our Liberals, by publicly parading disgusting flags, and the Peace Society in circulating exciting and seditious handbills, with the view to holding up this force to contempt and ridicule, has signally failed.” The East Norfolk Militia assembled at Yarmouth on the same date. “Their appearance was much more respectable than might have been expected, and many of those who were prepared to ridicule them acknowledged that they were a much better class than they expected.” The officers were: Col. the Hon. Berkeley Wodehouse; Lieut.-Col. William Mason; Major Sir E. K. Lacon; Captains John Longe, the Hon. Bertram Wodehouse, John Marcon, Henry Cormick, George Grenville Glover, John Gay; Lieutenants William Robert Freeman, Richard Hall, Henry Thomas Knapman, William Danby Palmer, Richard Lee Mayhew, William Reed, Frederick John Reyne, George Chester Wood, Alexander Robert Chamberlin; Adjutant William P. K. Browne; Surgeon John Capern Smith; Assistant-Surgeon Spencer Thomas Smyth. Of the 612 men enrolled, 571 appeared on parade. The Earl of Leicester, as Lord Lieutenant of the county, inspected the East Norfolk Regiment at Yarmouth on May 12th, and the West Norfolk Regiment at Norwich on the 13th. The men of the latter corps were entertained at dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall after the inspection. The cost of the entertainment was defrayed by public subscription.
April 26th 1853
The foundation-stone of the Wayland Hall, Watton, was laid by Lady Walsingham. The hall was opened on November 3rd, on the occasion of the annual meeting of the Wayland Society, at which Lord Walsingham presided.
April 27th 1853
A fine schooner, named the Ocean Child, was launched from the ship-yard of Mr. Southgate, at Wells-next-the-Sea.
April 30th 1853
“Died lately at Bergh Apton, at an advanced age, Mr. John Dawson, deputy registrar for the Loddon Union. He was likewise known as an active peace officer. Previous to the establishment of the police force, the whole business of thief-taking devolved upon petty constables, but as the requisite tact and intelligence was not found in every parish, what was called a running constable was usually appointed in each petty sessional division, who was considered the detective-officer of the district. Mr. Dawson was justly considered one of the first of his profession. Upon the formation of the new force these hitherto indispensable functionaries were entirely superseded, and Dawson, among others, found his occupation gone.”
May 20th 1853
There were no prisoners in Lynn gaol. To celebrate the unique circumstance the prison doors were thrown open, and the Mayor entertained the whole of the police force and borough officials to a dinner, served within the building.
June 7th 1853
The Norwich Diocesan Training Institution for school-mistresses was removed to spacious premises in St. George’s Colegate. The Institution was founded in 1840.
June 9th 1853
A cricket match between eighteen of Norwich and eleven of All England, commenced on the new Cricket Ground, Newmarket Road, Norwich, and concluded on the 11th. Norwich, 110—46; All England, 58—70.
June 14th 1853
The City of Norwich Waterworks New Bill received the Royal assent. “By this Bill power is given to the Corporation of Norwich to convert Chapel Field into a public pleasure garden.”
June 18th 1853
Announcement was made of the resignation of Superintendent Dunne, of the Norwich police “on the ground that he had been so much obstructed by those who ought to have assisted him in the discharge of his duties, that no alternative had been left him but to resign.” On July 6th Mr. Stephen English, of Pontefract, was elected to the post.
June 25th 1853
Died, at Doughty’s Hospital, Norwich, in her 81st year, Miss Tubby, “well-known as box-keeper at our Theatre for many years, and highly respected.” She possessed a remarkable fund of information upon local theatrical matters, and for nearly half a century “Miss Tubby’s night” was one of the principal events in the Norwich season.
June 28th 1853
The new cult of “table-turning” or spiritualism was introduced in Norwich for the first time at a _séance_ given at St. Andrew’s Hall by a Mr. King.
June 28th 1853
The first piles of the Wellington Pier at Yarmouth were driven by the Mayor (Mr. S. C. Marsh), Mr. D. Waddington, chairman of the United Norfolk and Eastern Counties’ Railway Companies and of the Pier directors, and by the Mayoress. A dinner was held at the Victoria Hotel in celebration of the event. The Pier was opened by the Mayor on October 31st.
July 1st 1853
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions it was reported that the Secretary of State for the Home Department had ordered the formation of a corps of Artillery Militia for the county.
July 9th 1853
A thunderstorm of great severity occurred at Norwich. The main sewer in London Street burst from the enormous pressure upon it, and its contents inundated the adjacent business premises. Every house at the bottom of Exchange Street was flooded, and fire-engines were afterwards employed to pump the water from the cellars. The weather continued to be very stormy during the succeeding week. The newly-completed tower and spire of Mundham church were wrecked and became a heap of ruins.
July 23rd 1853
Three troops of the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabineers), under the command of Capt. Sawyer, marched into Norwich from Chobham Camp. The headquarters were stationed at Ipswich.
July 25th 1853
Miss Fanny Vining appeared at Norwich Theatre as Margaret Elmore in “Love’s Sacrifice.”
July 30th 1853
The NORFOLK CHRONICLE announced the repeal of the advertisement duty and of the duty upon newspaper supplements.
July 31st 1853
Died at Shoreditch Workhouse, London, Benjamin Reeder, of Helhoughton, who was in many respects a very remarkable character. He had served sixteen years as a private in the 2nd Dragoon Guards. “Altho’ of an obtuse and somewhat forbidding appearance, he possessed an uncommon faculty for mathematical attainments. He had Euclid at his finger ends, while his knowledge of algebra and logarithms enabled him to solve in a few minutes the most difficult questions. He once had the management of a school, but his irregularities reduced him to the level of a common labourer, and eventually he ended his days in the union house.”
September 3rd 1853
“The degree of Doctor of Music has been recently conferred on Mr. Buck, organist of Norwich Cathedral, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, in the exercise of the privilege possessed by his Grace as Primate of bestowing that and other degrees in divinity and arts upon persons of merit in any of those faculties.”
September 4th 1853
An interesting ceremony took place in the tower of the dilapidated church of Eccles-next-the-Sea. The Rev. Edward Evans, of St. Stephen’s, Norwich, who had recently been presented to the vicarage, read himself in, and preached to a congregation of about 200 persons. “Owing to the want of the church, which has been destroyed upwards of 200 years by the encroachments of the ocean, this is a sinecure benefice, and the inhabitants use the neighbouring church of Hempstead. The tower of the church in which the ceremony took place is embedded in sand to the height of the former walls of the church.”
September 8th 1853
George Borrow performed an intrepid act on Yarmouth beach. “The sea raged frantically, and a ship’s boat, endeavouring to land for water, was upset, and the men were engulfed in a wave some 30 feet high, and struggling with it in vain. The moment was an awful one, when George Borrow, the well-known author of ‘Lavengro’ and ‘The Bible in Spain,’ dashed into the surf and saved one life, and through his instrumentality the others were saved. We ourselves have known this brave and gifted man for years, and daring as was his deed, we have known him more than once risk his life for others.” 17*.—“If the rivalry of the different railway companies in this district has been agreeable to the public it has been attended with fearful loss to the shareholders. Excursionists are not expected to object to being carried from Norwich to London for half a crown, but we should suppose that the proprietors in the Eastern Union will have a decided objection to the great increase of their working expenses to 60 per cent. by the process. The ruinous competition now going on can only be terminated by a union of interests, and it appears, from the reports of the Eastern Counties’ and Eastern Union Companies, that an amalgamation is proposed.”
September 8th 1853
The kitchen floor of a house, occupied by Mr. Bunting, on St. Giles’ Hill (near St. Giles’ Gates?), Norwich, suddenly gave way, and Mrs. and Miss Bunting, who were in the apartment, were precipitated with the chairs, table, and other furniture, into a funnel-shaped hole 27 feet in depth. When rescued they were insensible but uninjured. “Caves were some time since cut through the hill in different directions and of considerable length, and the whole of the hill has been at various periods excavated for chalk. Some of the caves were used for wine vaults, and it appears that one of these caves passed under the back of Mr. Bunting’s house. A water-pipe had been leaking for a long time, and it is supposed that the water descending through the soil caused the roof of the cave to give way, and the whole of the earth above to fall with it.”
September 24th 1853
A young man named E. Elson completed the task of walking from Lynn to Dereham and back, a distance of 60 miles, for six successive days.
September 26th 1853
A violent hurricane of wind and rain did great damage in the county. “The injury to orchards and gardens has been immense, and the apple crop, which was an abundant one, has been reduced probably one-half.” On the coast there were many shipping casualties, attended by loss of life.
October 10th 1853
The hand-loom weavers in Norwich struck for a rise of wages. A memorial was presented to the manufacturers, asking for an advance of twopence per dozen on all finished fabrics.
October 16th 1853
Died at Liverpool, aged 70, Admiral Bell, C.B., son of Mr. J. Barker Bell, of Gorleston, Yarmouth. He entered the Navy in 1796, and distinguished himself in many actions against the enemy. He attained to flag rank in October, 1846.
October 26th 1853
A public demonstration took place at Lynn in honour of Lieut. S. Gurney Cresswell, the bearer of the despatches from Commander M’Clure, relating to the expedition in search of Sir John Franklin. Lieut. Cresswell was presented with a congratulatory address at a meeting held at the Guildhall, and afterwards entertained at dinner at the Assembly Rooms. He was third son of Mr. Francis Cresswell, a partner in the banking firm of Gurney, Cresswell, and Co., King’s Lynn, and a native of the borough, where he was born in 1827. Not only was he the bearer of the despatches announcing the discovery of the North-West passage, but he had taken an active and important part in the expedition.
October 29th 1853
Died at his residence, Monmouth Road, Bayswater, Dr. Bexfield. He was born in Norwich on April 27th, 1824, and at seven years of age became a chorister at the Cathedral. At the age of eleven he composed an anthem in eight parts, which fully satisfied Mr. Buck that he possessed extraordinary talent. On the expiration of his articles in his 21st year, he was elected organist of Boston parish church, and in the same year graduated Mus. Bac. at Cambridge. He afterwards published his Concert Fugues for the organ, which were played during the Great Exhibition. In 1847 he composed his “Six Songs,” and earned for himself the popular distinction of “the Poet-Musician.” He was appointed, out of thirty-five candidates, organist at St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate, London. At about this time he published a collection of pieces under the title of “Musica di Camera,” and at the age of twenty-four took the degree of Mus. Doc. Dr. Bexfield was the author of a volume of “Church Anthems,” which formed part of the repertoire of most English cathedrals. In 1850 he married a daughter of Mr. J. B. Millington, solicitor of Boston. The work on which his reputation mainly depended was his oratorio “Israel Restored,” which on two occasions he conducted at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, viz., at its first production at the Choral Society’s concert in October, 1851, and at the Musical Festival in 1852. A benefit concert was given at St. Andrew’s Hall on December 16th for his widow and family. The sum of £500, including a donation of 20 guineas from the Queen, was realised.
November 6th 1853
Died at St. Leonard’s-on-Sea, the Right Hon. Lord Charles Vere Ferrars Townshend, of Rainham Hall and Tamworth Castle. He was born in 1783, and in 1812 married his cousin, the eldest daughter of General William Loftus. The funeral took place at Rainham on November 24th. He was succeeded in his estates by his nephew, Capt. John Townshend, R.N., member for Tamworth, who also became heir to the marquisate.
November 9th 1853
Mr. J. R. Gough, of America, delivered a temperance oration at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. He also addressed meetings on the 10th and 11th.
November 9th 1853
Mr. Samuel Bignold was elected Mayor, and Mr. Henry Birkbeck appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 11th 1853
A new church was opened at Wootton. It was built on the site of the old church at the sole expense of the Hon. Mrs. Howard. It cost nearly £6000.
November 13th 1853
The announcement was published that Mr. David Fisher, the actor, who was so well known and highly respected in Norwich and Norfolk, had made a successful _début_ at the Princess’s Theatre, London.
December 1st 1853
In the Vice-Chancellor’s Court application was made in the suit Jermy _v._ Jermy for the administration of the estate of the late Mr. Jermy, of Stanfield Hall. The only question that arose was about certain timber growing on the estate and fines of copyholds. But a difficulty of a novel character had occurred. Since the murder the mansion had been untenanted. Although many persons were willing to take it they could not procure servants who would live in the house, so great was the superstitious feeling which existed. It was stated that the parties were willing to allow the house to be occupied for two years for nothing, in order to overcome the prejudice. The Vice-Chancellor said that Mrs. Jermy Jermy was entitled to a third of the timber and fines, and he expressed surprise that such prejudices existed against the house.
December 3rd 1853
Died, at her residence on the Castle Meadow, Norwich, in her 85th year, Amelia Opie, widow of John Opie, R.A., and only daughter of Dr. James Alderson. After her marriage with Opie in 1798 her numerous literary productions gained her considerable reputation, and as a novelist she moved in the highest literary circles. Her works included “Father and Daughter,” “Simple Tales,” 4 vols. (1806); “New Tales,” 4 vols. (1818); “Temper, or Domestic Scenes,” 3 vols.; “Tales of the Heart,” 4 vols.; “Detraction Displayed” (moral treatise); “Illustrations of Lying,” “Lays of the Dead,” and other poems. Mrs. Opie was a member of the Society of Friends, and her remains were interred in the Quakers’ Burial Ground, Gildencroft, on December 9th.
December 17th 1853
The provision of a time-ball connected by electric telegraph with Greenwich Observatory, and exhibited in a prominent position in Norwich Market Place, was, in consequence of the irregularities of the public clocks, advocated in the NORFOLK CHRONICLE on this date.
December 20th 1853
A meeting of the landowners, farmers, and tradesmen of Harleston and the district was held at the Corn Hall in that town, to consider the desirability of promoting the construction of a railway from Tivetshall station on the Eastern Union line. In 1851 an Act of Incorporation was obtained for making a railway from Tivetshall to Bungay, but from various causes, chiefly from the depression in the railway world, no further steps were at that time taken.
December 22nd 1853
Died, at the house of his son-in-law at Cambridge, aged 69, Mr. Seth William Stevenson, F.S.A., one of the proprietors of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE. He was elected Sheriff of Norwich in 1828, he became alderman in the same year, and in 1832 served the office of Mayor. Literary pursuits, especially of an antiquarian character, engrossed his leisure. In early life Mr. Stevenson made several Continental tours. The year after the battle of Waterloo, he, in company with Capt. Money, visited the scene of the struggle, and afterwards published “A Journal of a Tour through part of France, Flanders and Holland, including a Visit to Paris and a Walk over the Field of Waterloo in the Summer of 1816.” The work was dedicated to the Norwich United Friars Society, of which literary body he was almost the last surviving member. In 1828 appeared the account of a second tour in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and the Netherlands. The book to which he devoted no inconsiderable portion of the last ten years of his life was the complete “Dictionary of Roman Coins.” 24*.—“We have received from Mr. Garthon, one of the district surgeons of Norwich, a return in a tabular form showing the extraordinary number of 96 cases of small-pox in Heigham and St. Benedict’s, during the last three months. These arose from the strong prejudice still existing amongst ignorant and poor people against the only preventive—vaccination.”
December 22nd 1853
The funeral of the Marchioness of Wellesley took place at Costessey Hall, whither the remains had been removed from Hampton Court. “In accordance with the good old charitable practice a dole of bread was given to the poor of Costessey on the occasion of the funeral.”
December 26th 1853
Mr. Joseph Clarence produced at Norwich Theatre his grand Christmas pantomime, entitled, “Harlequin Prince Bluecap and the King of the Silver Waters, or the Three Kingdoms, Animal, Vegetable, and Mineral.”