The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1853 Bury and Norwich Post newspaper archive
The news in Britain in 1853

January 5th 1853

A walnut tree which has so long adorned the grounds of Cavendish Rectory, it was noted alike for it's beauty and gigantic proportions was laid prostrate by the hurricane which raged on Monday last.

January 5th 1853.

The Melford Ball. On the 23rd ult the Melford Ball was attended by near a hundred of the nobility and principal families of the neighbourhood, dancing was kept up with good spirits to the enchanting music of Seaman's band. Among the company we observed were Mr and Mrs Barnardiston-Mr and Mrs J.Poley and party-Capt. Bence and party-Rev Faulkener and party-Mr and Mrs Elwes and party-Rev and Mrs Hallifax and party-Mr W.Poley and party-Mrs Coldham and party-Mr and Mrs Bevan-Rev Oakes and party-Mr Bennet M.P.
And Mrs Bennet-Rev Gooch and party- Mrs Collet-Mr Alnmack-Rev J.White-Rev Faulkener-Mrs Westhorpe-Miss West-Rev Lonodon-Mrs Wilson and family-Rev Simcokes-Miss Maryott-Mr and Mrs Layton-Mr and Mrs Walton M.P. and party-Mr F.Eagle-Mr Jardine and party-Mr and Mrs Aislable-Mr Jones-Mr Simpson-Mr Fisher-Mr Mayhew-Mr Image etc.

January 12th 1853.

There was a melancholy accident at Rattlesden on Saturday last. William Rushbrooke Eden, the eldest son of Col.Eden of the 56th reg. and Governor of Bermuda and Arthur Walsham, the son of Sir Thomas Walsham, had been shooting rabbits with Mr H.L. Cocksedge of Drinkston and uncle of the former. The party were returning home when they came to a fence, Mr Eden while uncocking his gun, the hammer slipped and Mr Walsham received the whole of the charge in his calf and left leg, the young gentleman speedily sank and he was removed to Mr Slaytor's at Stukeley's farm house. When Mr Slaytor of Woolpit and Mr Image of Bury arrived they prepared for amputation but he expired at between 9 and 10. Deceased who was 18 years old, had just passed for promotion at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich where both young gentlemen were gentlemen cadets and were attached friends.

February 16th 1853.

Inquest at Suffolk Hospital at Bury on David Scates, labourer, aged 25, in the employ of Mr Samuel Payne of Hawstead, who on the previous Monday was engaged in moving straw from the threshing machine when the spindle caught his frock and wound him round and before the horses could be stopped, he dashed his head on the floor of the barn, he was removed to Bury Hospital but died in three hours. The jury expressed a hope that Mr Payne would erect a cover over the spindle.

February 16th 1853.

John Parmenter was committed to Bury gaol for bestiality at Waldingfield.

February 16th 1853.

For sale at Melford-60,000 forest trees and 60,000 quick, due to Mr Woolard having determined to make a complete revision of his nursery grounds.

February 16th 1853.

Insanity in the working classes---
An official report just published by the authorities of Marylebone, London states that insanity in the working classes has increased to such an extent, but none,but those whose duties bring them in contact with sufferers can form any idea of the spread. It is hoped it will be the subject of an inquiry.

March 2nd 1853.

Letters from emigrants-----

Millers and Butchers in Australia
The following letter has been lately received from a person who emigrated to Australia as a working miller and it will be seen already anticipates setting up as a master in his trade of the golden thumb.

Sydney, New South Wales, Oct.31st 1852.
Dear Brother,--
I take the liberty of writing to you, hoping this will find you all in good health, as it leaves me. My wife has been very ill for sometime, but is better now. There was butcher came out in our vessel and I saw him the other day. He said he was at a slaughterer's and his wages were 2 per week and board and he had the horns and other things, that made it up to as much as 4. They kill ten bullocks and forty sheep every day and other butchers buy them of him. What their profit is I cannot say, but I think that the butchers that buy them get a good one as they give from a 1d to 1d and a half for mutton and sell it at 2d to 3d, beef at from three farthings to a 1d a pound and sell plenty of it, for every poor man eats meat three to four times a day and a labouring man can earn 30s to 36s per week. If you set up as a butcher, the carcase butchers will give one weeks credit and the retail is all ready money. I had a leg of mutton today, 7 and a half pounds for 1s 6d and had it baked for 3d and green peas too!. That is what I call living. Rents are very dear, I pay 6s per week for a house with only two rooms. I get two guineas per week and paid for overtime. I can and do spare from 1 to 25s every week. I do not know whether you are getting a good living where you are; but I know you could here. I suppose you saw the letter I sent to Thomas about my going to the gold diggings. I should like to go there again now, if I had a pal to go with. There are many who make a fortune in a very little time. I wish I had a little more money. I would take a windmill. There is one to let, there is plenty of profit. You can let Thomas look at this, they give 11s for a bushel of wheat, 60lb weight. They buy all by weight and sell it all by the hundred---one hundred pounds for 2 5s that is 45 per ton---2000 pounds is a ton here-and 2s per bushel for bran and pollard, 20lb to the bushel and the middlings, they grind over and sell for seconds , at 5 per ton less than the other; and I see that they get 13 per ton profit on every ton; and there is no water mills here, all steam and wind mills; there are three wind-mills almost always shut up. There are but few millers that can tend a windmill. There is one shut just now for the want of a man to tend it; but the master has got a steam mill of 7 pair of stones, and does not care much about it. That was in the paper to be let a short time since. I shall have that as soon as I can get a little more money. Steam mills are very expensive as my master burns half a ton of coals and two tons of wood every day. Coals are 3 10s per ton and wood 15s; and my wages 42s, the fireman 40s and the carter 33s per week; and what the rent is I do not know; but the millers, bakers and butchers are doing first rate; they go on just as they like, they rise when they like and fall when they like. The newspapers let out about them sometimes.
Believe me to remain your affectionate brother,

" Harry Ruse"

Historian's note October 28th 2003.

Henry Ruse of Long Melford has provided the following information as Harry Ruse was his great-grandfather's brother.

Census of Saffron Walden 1851.---
Long Lane---
Harry Ruse-Head-Married-aged 24-Master Miller---born Saffron Walden.
Elizabeth Ruse---Wife-aged 21-Born - Old Sampford.
Sarah Wiseman-Sister in Law---aged 12 -Born Wimbish.

Emigrated to Australia.

Harry Ruse, Mudgee,
New South Wales c 1880

Arrived in Sydney with his wife, Elizabeth, from London, in 1852. Was living in Clarence Town in 1856 when their first son, Harry Teverson Ruse was born.
In 1851, Clarence Town had 30 buildings and 199 residents.
In 1858, Harry Ruse was managing a mill at Stroud, this mill was sold to Stephen Neat Dark who immediately installed a steam mill.
By 1858 Harry and his family had returned to Clarence Town. The " Clarence Town Steam Flour Mill" was built on the south side of King Street, between Grey and Durham Streets.
In the late 1850's, Harry Ruse "miller of Clarence Town" purchased a Crown allotment in the town. At that time dwelling houses were being built " amongst the trees, with frontage to the streets that were only the tracks cut by the wheels of wagons and drays".
It is also possible that Harry and his family lived at the "cottage with garden and paddock" on the same site as the mill.
A mention of Harry Ruse,"miller of Clarence Town" was made in the "Maitland Mercury" of the 2nd of June 1860.
The second son of Harry and Elizabeth, William Thomas was born in 1860. On the 29th of December of that year Elizabeth died.

Harry Ruse, aged 35, remarried on the 23rd of December 1861, to Martha Robard who was 19. The marriage took place at her father's residence in Clarence Town according the rights of the Prebyterian Church.
Harry and Martha had two children, Rebecca, born in Clarence Town in 1862 and David Stephen was also born in Clarence Town in 1866.
By January 1867, Harry Ruse was operating a mill at West Maitland, he advertised for a miller; "Wanted,by a competent miller, Situation as Miller, and is well acquainted with an engine. Address-H.Ruse, Elgin Street, West Maitland.

In August 1867, a simple notice appeared in the local newspaper.
Died on the 6th inst at West Maitland, Mrs Ruse, wife of Harry Ruse, miller, aged 25.

Family oral history indicates that the children of Harry Ruse were raised by "Aunt Bec", who most likely was Rebecca Thwaites Robard.

Elizabeth Ruse (nee Wiseman)
c 1860

In 1903, Harry Ruse, occupation a miller, aged 77, resided at Glen Martin, near Clarence Town with his son, Harry Teverson Ruse, aged 47, a farmer. Harry Ruse died at Clarence Town in 1919, aged 93 years. At the time of his death there were 36 descendants of his marriage to Elizabeth Wiseman and Martha Robards.
John Wiseman of Herbett's farm, Saffron Walden, said that Harry Ruse had made his wife's sister, Susannah Wiseman, pregnant when she was only 16 years old'
This was in 1851 and at that date this was classed as virtually incest.
Susannah Wiseman had gone to live at the windmill in Saffron Walden, to look after her sister Elizabeth who was pregnant and was soon expecting a baby herself.
To avoid the scandal and possible court case, William Wiseman sent his son in law and daughter to Australia.

March 23rd 1853

William Marsh and Samuel Stow were charged with assaulting John Firman at Sudbury and stealing from his person four 5L notes, 8L in gold and a cheque worth 20 shillings. Mr Firman who is a farmer of Goldingham Hall, Bulmer, said he was riding home from Sudbury market at about 11 pm when on passing Brundon Lane he was pulled from his pony by two men and and the money was taken from his purse, they then disappeared. He returned to Sudbury and gave information. Both men were sentenced to 15 years transportation.

March 24th 1853.

To Millers and Others.
To be let at Semer in Suffolk on a repairing lease----
The corn and water mill called Hocking Mill. -dwelling house-meadow land of 4 acres-right of fishing, now in occupation of William Clutton.

March 30th 1852.

Inquest at Cavendish on Mary Ballard aged about 8 years who was extensively burnt from having her clothes catch fire when she attempted to get to the oven in search of a tallow rag to clean the candlesticks. Accidental.

March 30th 1853.

Chilton Lodge near Sudbury to be sold by auction. Genteel residence for respectable family by orders of the executors of the late Maj. General Addison.

April 13th 1853

The Rev Andrews, the curate of Bulmer has been presented with the rectory of Chilton near Sudbury. A desire was expressed by the poorer members of his parish to present him with a token of their esteem, a subscription was raised and a handsome silver teapot and cream ewer was presented to the Rev gentleman at the school room. Mr Andrews was much affected by this mark of affection.

April 20th 1853.

William Lewsey of Walter Belchamp was charged with assaulting John Hitchcock, the relieving officer for the district. Mr Making the clerk at the Union House in Sudbury, said he saw the prisoner in the act of striking Mr Hitchcock with a large flint stone, witness caught his hand and arrested the blow. 40s or 2 months hard labour.

April 20th 1853.

The valuable property of the late Major General Addisson of Chilton Lodge was sold by auction on Tuesday, after spirited bidding the Lodge rose to 2325L when it was knocked down to Mr Blunden, it was we understand for the mother of the Rev Foster of Foxearth.

April 27th 1853

Two men named Bean and Brewster of Glemsford were summoned to appear at Melford petty sessions on Friday last for assaulting Mr J.C.Moore and others. The prisoners did not attend and the bench committed Bean to 4 months imprisonment and Brewster to two months. The same evening the prisoners were apprehended in the Crown Inn, Glemsford, the police officer left the tap room to seek a conveyance to Bury Gaol when Bean made his escape out of the window, on his return the officer found one gone and anxious to see him again he left Brewster in the tap room who in the space of a few seconds made his way out of the back door. Bean who was furnished with a pair of steel handcuffs waited until next morning in a neighbouring village and begged the postman to convey the steel cuffs which were broken in several places to the policeman and to thank him for the use of them as he had no futher use of them. Both prisoners then started in the direction of Sudbury.

May 4th 1853.

Letters to the Editor.
A weeks since, under the heading of Factory in the Woods established in Chevington for the purpose of making up garments for wholesale clothiers, has been received with interest, I am certain it will prove to be a blessing to the neighbourhood. The exodus which is taking place to Australia must for years place our emigrants entirely to be depending on the mother country for clothing. The wholesale companies in London cannot get work done fast enough and endeavour to obtain assistance from this country.

(Signed Humanitus).

May 11th 1853.

The rectory at Bacton was the scene of an awful tragedy on Sunday morning last when the housekeeper of the Rev Edward Barker was barbarously murdered. Deceased was named Maria Steggles and was about 66 years of age and had acted for a long time as housekeeper to the Rev gentleman who held her in great esteem and was in the habit of entrusting her with his monies which she received and paid for him.

On Sunday morning, Mr Barker left his house at 10 in the morning to officiate at Church which is a mile off, a serving girl named Percy was the only other inmate of the house and she had gone out before him and deceased remained in the house , at about 12-15, Mr Barker returned from the church and the servant girl came up at the same time and they went into the backhouse where they found the glass door unchained, going into the kitchen, he saw the housekeeper lying on the floor weltering with blood and groaning, the alarm was given and neighbours called in and medical gentleman was sent for but the poor woman died in an hour. The police were called the top of her head and skull was battered with a heavy sharp instrument, probably a hatchet, there were other wounds on her cheeks, she was a strong woman and evidently struggled with her murderer as a table was broken, her cap was off and her false hair front was pulled away. In Mr Barker's room, a double barrelled shotgun stood in the corner and a sword was found lying unsheathed, on the mantelpiece were a brace of large pistols having the name of the maker on them, (J.Harding, Boro, London), the pistols have not yet been discovered, probably thrown into the moat, in the serving girl's bedroom, boxes were upset and a small box was opened which had contained three sovereigns and 6d were taken.

At the inquest, the Rev Burton Barker said the deceased was my housekeeper for 40 years upwards, yesterday morning I went to church and another servant went also, on returning we went to the back door, my other servant also went into the house, I went into the kitchen and saw deceased lying in a pool of blood, I was horror struck and left the room, Sarah Percy, my other servant gave the alarm. Sarah Percy said I am 32 years old, yesterday morning I went to church at Bacton, on my return I found my master in the kitchen, I gave the alarm George Catchpole came in and another man named Steggal, we found deceased dying, Mr Golding came in and sent for Mr Ebden. Mr William Cuthbert, the younger, surgeon of Mendlesham, said he found deceased severely wounded and had a fractured skull. Wilful murder by persons unknown.

A report that the nephew of the deceased was in custody but he had volunteered to present himself to the Magistrates and proven he was miles away at the time of the murder. One or two other parties were questioned but cleared of having nothing to do with the murder.

About 10 days ago the back house door was broken into and a loin of pork and a quantity of eggs stolen and the police had been keeping an eye on the premises ever since.

Trails of footsteps were found across a field by the cart lodge and through three fields and into a green lane, the soil is clay and some dry soil was found with impressions of a footmark corresponding with those found in the field.

The Rev Barker is upwards of 80 years and is greatly affected and has expressed himself much pleased by Supt. Jukes.

May 18th 1853.

The inquiry into the dreadful crime at Bacton. A man named William Flatt a labourer of Bacton was in the Shoulder of Mutton beerhouse where he lavished considerable amount of money on drink and play, he also purchased clothes from Mr Sawyer for the amount of 24s 6d, he lodged a complaint at the police station of having been robbed of 8s 6d in a canvas purse by a man who was in custody but he did not appear to support the charge, the police at Bacton received this information and Sub Inspector Bragg came with Flatt to Bury and finding his statement as to the amount of money he spent was incorrect, he was taken in to custody.

A reward of 100 has been offered by Her Majesty's Government for the discovery of the murderer and a further sum of 100 guineas from the Rev Barker.

May 25th 1853

At the cattle fair at Melford on Thursday last there was a larger supply of neat stock and sold at high prices. Ward and Silver exhibited a 6 h.p.portable steam engine with a thrasher, a lot of people examined the machine.

May 25th 1853.

Mill Farm to be sold-situated in Gt and Lt Maplestead, 118 acres-substantial farmhouse and buildings, occupied by Mr Harrington as a yearly tenant of 135.

Purls Hill farm at Gt Maplestead and Sible Hedingham under lease to John Taylor, 250 acres under lease to John Rayner at 320 per anumn.

Byham Hall at Lt Maplestead and Gestingthorpe-241 acres, occupied by Charles Cross at a rent of 300 with covenants to deliver two loads of straw annually to ensure and repair building.

Hepworth Hall in Halstead,Gt Maplestead and Sible Hedingham-177 acres-newly erected residence and two cottages-occupied by Joseph Smoothy at 220 per anumn.

May 25th 1853.

Trucketts Hall farm in Boxted-Cavendish and Somerton, 457 acres with Trucketts Hall and labourers cottages and complimented by newly erected farm buildings, occupied by the executors of Henry Cross at 400 annually ( regulated by the price of wheat).

May 25th 1853.

On Thursday the prisoner Flack was brought up for examination. Alfred Page, labourer, said he remembered the murder taking place, on the morning about 10 he saw Flack in the steeple and they left at about 10-30, witness said he was going home but Flack said he would go and have another chime, witness said he lived under the same roof as Flack near the churchyard, when witness had got his letters he came out and saw Flack and they walked together, at the turning witness said he was going to Wyverstone, Flack going in the direction of Mr Barker's house, he last saw Flack that Sunday and he observed he had changed his clothes,they were the clothes produced, they had no stains on them, they talked about the murder, Flack said he could swear for one that he did not do it, in the afternoon of that Sunday, witness went up to Flack who was standing near the churchyard wall, in conversation witness remarked that John Hawes had been to the Adjutant at Bury and that he had not paid anyone, Flack said, he is a fool he should have gone to the Drill Sergeant.

Previous to the murder, Flack had been to Haughley Green, the prisoner in answer to a question, said he never went to school and he did not know his prayers and was not sure whether he was 18 or 19. Remanded.

The prisoner's clothes were sent for examination by Professor Taylor of Guy's Hospital at London.

It appears that the sum Flack expended and lost, amounted to the sum stolen from the Rectory. When apprehended by Inspector Bragg, the trowsers he was wearing appeared stained with blood. It is now supposed that the woman's shull was fracturd with a poker which is missing, the police were engaged through the week-end in searching ditches and ponds in the neighbourhood.

May 25th 1853.

We have received another attempt of frightful murder at Needham Street, Gazeley, on the premises of Henry Webb of Needham Hall, Gazeley. The party on whom attempted murder was made was Mary Anne Knights a cook in Mr Webb's service and the individual who attempted to murder her is James Everett a labourer residing at Gazeley and working as a navvy on the Bury-Newmarket railway. It appears that Everett about 18 months ago paid his addresses to the young woman and having learnt he was given to drink she discarded him, he was frequently insulting to her and has been harbouring intention to do her harm. While she was on her way to church, Everett suddenly came up on her and threatened to do for her, she was aware that her young master, Henry, was behind her and on hearing this he made his escape. On Sunday last, Mr Webb's family went to church, while the Mary Knights was in the kitchen, she saw Everett in the garden, she ran upstairs and told Miss Cooke, a lady staying at the Hall and told her she believed he had come to murder her, Miss Cooke ran downstairs and spoke to Everett and told him to go away, he came into the house and attacked Miss Knights in a violent manner, knocked her down and attempted to draw a knife, but being a robust woman of about 30 years was able to struggle and prevented him, at length he incapacitated her and stabbed her in the neck and other places, at this time, a man named Wright, Mr Webb's bailiff, saw what was going on and reached the spot, Everett ran off but was caught by Wright, Miss Cooke entreated Wright to return to the young woman, thinking he would be able to identify Everett who ran off. It is supposed he has secreted himself in the numerous plantations that surround the neighbourhood. Tuesday morning, up to this time Everett has not been discovered.

May 25th 1853.

Two sermons were preached on Whit Sunday at Melford by the Rev Jarvis on behalf of the Society of Christianity for the promotion of Christianity among Jews.

May 25th 1853.

At the cattle fair on Thursday last, there was a large supply of neat stock of which most were sold at a high figure. The fine weather induced many pleasure seekers and the bazaars were visited on Friday morning by most of the respectable families of the neighbourhood.

June 1st 1853.

On Tuesday last, Flack was again brought up in the custody of Mr Alloway, the Governor of Ipswich gaol for further examination at the Bull Inn at Bacton. The proceedings were held in private as it supposed the exertions of the police are frustrated by the publicity, the reporters were excluded from the room but the following information has been received that the purse belonging to the servant Percy and the shilling was of the reign of Elizabeth, given to her by a man who turned it up with the plough. Inspector Bragg discovered that such a shilling had been purchased by Mr Pace of Bury, which on being produced, was identified as the property of the servant.

Mr Pace was examined but was unable to give information on the party from whom he bought it and has been made a subject of unjust observations in the Ipswich papers, he had set it in a drawer with other pieces as he was in the practice of buying old silver and set down on paper the sum given for each article and they were afterwards smelted. The paper was presented to the magistrates, it contained 20 purchases amongst which was one of 8d which he had no doubt was the price given for the old shilling.

The prisoner wished to make the following statement.
'Robert Moore asked me to go down to Mr Barker's as he had a spite against the housekeeper, I wanted to know what the spite was, he said it did not signify and would I go with him if he paid me and if I did not go he would go alone, we were talking on the green, he went home and put on an old pair of breeches and some rags round his legs and inside his buskins and around his arms. He went round the fields, I went along the road with Alfred Page. I walked past Mr Barker's and saw Moore go up to the house, I came home, I came very slow and saw him coming through Mr Barker's plantation into the road, he overtook me, I asked him if he had done what he said he would, he said yes, he said he would give me a sovereign and 6d if I would not say anything, when he gave me that he said he was worth 10, he gave me the money before we came to Mr Edwards, he took to the fields and said he would burn the old rags and things he had worn round his legs and arms, he went round the fields and got into Mr Pulham's meadow, as I was coming across the meadow I saw Mr Pulham, this man named Moore came across the footpath in Pulham's meadow, when he had got to the top of Hill Mount, I went home, I passed Mr Pulham and he asked me where I had been, I told him I came up the meadow, this was the day of the murder.'
Orders were given for the apprehension of Moore, a labourer with a wife and four children and of good character but he wished to attend voluntary and give account of his himself on the day of the murder. Three witnesses were called, Thomas Syrett, Maria Fletcher and William Fletcher who said that Moore was seen from time to time between 10 and 12-30 on the morning of the murder and it was impossible for him to be engaged in the way Flack said.

Moore's manner in the room, we are informed was inconsistent of guilt while Flack quelled beneath his glance. The magistrates came to the conclusion that Moore was not implicated as to be detained but would bebound over in his own recognisances to appear when called.

After removal of Flack from the room, his mother and sister were charged with being accessories to the fact, the mother admitted she destroyed her son's shirt and on the following day bought a new one for him at the shop of Mr Francis of Bacton where she gave 10d for it. The two females were remanded to the lock up at Stowmarket till Saturday.

The prisoner is not yet 19 years old and is deplorably ignorant, incapable of writing and has not the slightest knowledge of God or the Devil. We cannot conclude these remarks without averting the shameful neglected condition of people of Bacton. Bacton contains about 1000 inhabitants and yet has not one single school of any kind. The living since December 2nd 1784 is worth 900 per annum, average attendance at church seldom exceeds 20 people.

June 1st 1853.

On arrival of the mail cart from Bury to Sudbury post office, just as the driver was alighting, the horse keeled over and died in a few moments.

June 1st 1853.

The barque, William and Mary foundered on the 3rd inst at Storreyis Key in the Bahamas Islands with 170 passengers on board, nearly all perishing. The William and Mary, which is a Baltimore vessel, left Liverpool last March for New Orleans with 208 passengers, nearly all were German-Irish and Scots who were emigrating, they struck a sunken rock near Stirrup Key.

June 7th 1853.

The attempted murder at Gazeley. Everett has not yet been detained, the poor girl continues to go favourably.

June 7th 1853.

On Thursday last, officers of the Inland Revenue proceeded to East Bergholt to a house in a lonely lane. Benjamin Cockerell and William Durrant tried to escape but were detained, the officers found a large still capable of brewing 20-50 gallons at a time and a worm tub and a worm. Cockerell was in the habit of transmitting hampers containing bladders filled with spirits, to London, 3 times a week.

July 13th 1853.

To be sold at Sudbury---valuable public house in North Street, Sudbury, called the Golden Lion Inn, also 7 newly erected cottages. The Inn is situated in the great thoroughfare, North Street, with a frontage of 70ft-7 airy bedrooms-market room-coffee room-parlour -brew house-gig house and stabling for 30 horses. This valuable property is justly considered one of the best in Sudbury, the consumption in Mr Polly's time was upwards of 300 coombs of malt annually.

July 27th 1853.

Cricket---Cavendish v Horseheath.. An excellent game of cricket took place at Cavendish on Wednesday and terminated in a win for the former. In the first innings, the bowling of G.Ripley esq and Isted on the Cavendish side and of B.Walton and Wakeling on the Horseheath side, deserve great praise. Cavendish 27 and 48. Horseheath 40 and 28.

August 3rd 1853.

At Suffolk Assizes, William Flack aged 18 was charged with the wilful murder of Maria Steggles at Bacton, he pleaded not guilty. The jury who retired for 20 minutes returned a verdict of guilty.

His Lordship said it was a foul and most horrible murder and you cannot hold out any hope that the law will not be carried into execution. Happily the unfortunate female was found in the exercising of religion, you will be taken to the place of execution, etc etc.

The prisoner appeared unmoved and left the dock with a smile on his face.

August 12th 1853.

On Wednesday last, the Rev H. Kirby, rector of Gt Waldingfield, held his 1st school feast since the building of his new schools. A large party of his own family were present and a great number of clergy and gentlemen of the neighbourhood. About 3 o'clock they adjourned to the school room and it was pleasant to see long tables arranged down the middle of the room, covered with that in which children delight, it was crowded with little creatures ready for action, about 80 children present, mostly very young and the progress they had made was satisfactory considering the short time the school was opened. Surely the occupiers of land who are all opposed to highly educating the poor should consider how impossible it is to give them the lowest elementary education,unless the government take steps, the children of agricultural labourer must remain in degrading ignorance.

August 12th 1853 .

A field of talavers (a form of wheat) belonging to Mr Taylor of Gt Cornard, near Sudbury, was cut on July 30th, the sample was very good. Potatoes are a failure, the disease having re-appeared with virulence, of the hay is completely spoiled. The wheat market at present is of buoyant appearance. Agricultural wages are advancing with few able bodied labourers out of employment, bricklayers and carpenters are in full work and an enterprising firm in Sudbury has patented a new brick for manufacture, in this town it is said there is an unlimited supply of brick earth of superb quality and by the aid of steam machinery in the process, we are glad to learn that demand is equal to supply, the weather is unsettled with the haysel unfinished, the prayer for fine weather was read in all our churches on Sunday last and we look forward to with hope to HIM who promises seed time and harvest shall not cease.

August 12th 1853.

Sarah Denney, wife of John Denney, farmer of Kelsale, was charged with the wilful murder of her infant son. John Ling, surgeon of Saxmundham, said, I have known the prisoner for the last 13 years, she lives on East Green near Kelsale, she has several children, the deceased was 12 months old, she until this time was an affectionate mother, she has a brother in the asylum at Melton. Mr Image, surgeon at Bury, said he saw her at the inquest, she was in state of mania and not answerable for her acts. Not guilty.

August 10th 1853.

Since Flack was convicted of the murder of Maria Steggles at Bacton, he has made a statement to implicate Moore, he now states he went with Moore to the rectory on the morning of the murder, Moore knocked Maria Steggles down and kicked her on the head then cut her throat, Moore then robbed the house and gave Flack a pistol, a hunting horn and an old shilling, the hunting horn and the pistol he concealed in Mount Hill and the coin in Bugg's meadow. The prisoner's father, mother and brother and sister visited him in the County gaol at Ipswich, he persisted in the truth as above. The Governor of the gaol proceeded to Bacton and had a fruitless search at Mill Mount for the pistol and horn. Without the slightest clue of information to corrobate the prisoner statement the execution is fixed for Saturday next.

August 17th 1853.

The execution of Flack which was due to take place on Saturday has been deferred as Calcraft, owing to his inability to make the day according to his own engagements.

August 17th 1853.

Cricket---Clare v Ridgewell. Played at Ridgewell, Clare were acclaimed victors. Clare 76 and 31---Ridgewell 29 and 31.

Melford v Earls Colne. Played at Melford-The game terminated in favour of the former. The first innings of Earls Colne was perhaps one of the most extraordinary ever witnessed by the score which we believe to be unprecedented in the annals of the game testifies. Earls Colne-1st innings -5 and 2nd innings 68. Melford 46 and 12 ?.

August 17th 1853.

Inquest at Gt Waldingfield near Sudbury on the body of Susan Beer, wife of Cornelious Beer. She was found in the morning between 4 and 5 lying on her face in a ditch beside the Sudbury road. It appears that the deceased left Sudbury in a drunken state about 9 the previous night and was accompanied by a man named Edwrd Green who had the occasion to stop but shortly after passing the place on his way home to his own lodgings he saw no more of her. There was no appearance of injury to her body according to the evidence Mr Mason, surgeon. The jury returned a verdict of suffocation through intoxication.

August 17th 1853

Cricket-Clare v Ridgewell. Clare J.Chaplin 2-1.
Hammond 7-1. Clinton 2-1. Page 17. T.Castley 6. Taylor 4-4. Brown 0-4.
Stevens 10. Morley 6-1. Deeks 4. French 0. Byes 8-4. Total 66-15.
Ridgewell-Chaplin 4-8. Punchard 12-13. Durrant 0-1. Thinbone 0-19. Baker 2-4. Giblin 0-1. Coe 4-1. Goodchild 3-5. Sharp 0-0. G.Goodchild 3-5.
Total 22-51.

August 24th 1853.

On Wednesday morning precisely at 8 o'clock, Flack was executed at the County gaol at Ipswich. On Monday he had his last interview with his mother, father and sister. It is satisfactory to state the culprit made an ample confession, he told the Governor,
"all I have stated about Moore is false, Moore did not do the murder, when I got to the rectory Mrs Steggles came to the door, I knocke her down when she reached the kitchen, I struck her with my fist, she fell and cried out violently, I took a small case knife with me belonging to my folks, I cut her throat in two places I think, I knocked her on the head with my boots or highlows, I kicked her 7 or 8 times, she was not dead when I went upstairs, I took a pistol out of the Rector's room and hid it in the Mill Mount and the coin I took from the purse I hid it in the lane leading from the rectory to Mr Pulham's, I went down stairs, she was lying on her back, still breathing, I kicked her 2 or 3 times more, I returned by Mrs Ford's farm, I washed my shoes which were bloody in a ditch, I say no-one else had a hand in the murder but myself, I did not hold any spite against Mrs Steggles".
After the Chaplain began the 39th psalm the bolt was drawn and the wretched murderer ceased to exist. A great number of people had assembled in Orchard Street, their conduct was remarkably good, The body was buried in the precincts of the prison.

August 24th 1853.

Cricket---Suffolk gentlemen v Essex gentlemen, the game was played at Melford, the 2nd innings could not be terminated owing to the weather and the game came to an end in favour of Suffolk.

Suffolk 1st innings 97---Essex 1st innings 66.

August 31st 1853

Cricket. This game was decided on the favour of Gosfield on the first innings. Unfortunately for the Cavendishians in the early part of the game Isted received a terrific cut under his eye which completely disabled him from the rest of the game. Cavendish 28- 74. Gosfield 87.

August 31st 1853.

Business in Sudbury has been very brisk during the summer, building work is unusually active, it almost a personal favour to secure the services of bricklayers and carpenters as they are fully employed, the silk trade which is the staple of this place has been brisk, there has been no want of labour to gather the harvest, a good deal of which is carted.

September 7th 1853

To be sold by auction on 30th of September 1853 the live and dead stock of Houghton Hall, Cavendish. Mr Henry Newson has been favoured with instructions from Capt.Heigham of Houghton Hall, Cavendish to sell by auction the following as he has let the farm. Mr Henry Newson will sell the excellent agricultural implements for 700 acres on Houghton Hall Farm.- 27 capital Suffolk cart mares and geldings-5 working bullocks-12 cows and heifers-80 half bred Leicester lambs-5 Leicester tups-4 home bred bullocks-3 cows with a handsome Shorthorn bull-133 swine-double and single breasted road waggons-harvest waggons- tumbrils-ploughs-harrows-rolls-iron draining plough-4 h.p threshing machine-horse powered chaff engine-corn and manure drills-turnip drill- Bentalls broad share plough-horse rake-Biddels scarifier-cake and bean crusher-harness-4 hackney and gig harness-set of double harness etc.

September 21st 1853

To be sold by auction the live and dead stock upon Kiln Farm and Cottage Farm, Melford, the property of Mr Amos Barber who is retiring. 14 full size mares and geldings-1 powerful mare for saddle or harness-8 cows with 3 calves at side-21 shorthorn steers-20 stores-71 swine-road waggons-3 harvest waggons-6 tumbrils-turnip plough-18 coulter press drill-Ward and Silver lever horse rake-7 ploughs-2 chaff cutters- butter and milk keelers-2 cheese tables etc. The sale will be held at Cottage Farm adjoining Kentwell Park.

October 19th 1853.

The opening of the new school at Bildeston will take place on Friday, October 21st with a sermon by the Rev T.Ryle M.A. (Rector of Helmingham), the service will commence at 2-30. A collection in aid of the expences of erection and furnishing the school after the service will be made. (the sum of 16 5s 10d was collected).

October 26th !853.

A pugilistic contest between Nat Langham and Sayers for 200 came off at Lakenheath last Tuesday, the former who is now a publican at Cambridge was declared victor at the end of the 60th round, this disgraceful exhibition continued for two hours six minutes.

November 2nd 1853

On Sunday last between 8 and 9 a fire was discovered on the premises of Mr William Orbell at Pentlow but owing to the praiseworthy exertions of the inhabitants of Pentlow and Cavendish the fire was confined a stack. It was no doubt the work of an incendiary.

November 2nd 1853.

Married on the 25th Stanway, William Ambrose of Wells Farm, Cavendish to Susannah, 2nd daughter of Mr John Root of Gosbeck's farm, Stanway.

November 2nd 1853.

Mr Richard Blake Lambert the 2nd son of Richard Lambert of Lyston Hall in Essex (and of Park Place, Cheltenham) has been presented with a naval cadetship on recommendation of Sir Hyde Parker of Melford Hall.

November 16th 1853.

The wages of the County Police of East Suffolk are to be increased from 17s to 18s per week.

November 16th 1853.

On Tuesday evening last, as p.c.'s Glazier and Borely were on the road from Boxford to Hadleigh, they met a man named Joseph Rampling with a basket and a gallon bottle, they looked in the basket and found both full of wheat, knowing that he and a man named Edward Barnes were employed by Mr Frost, p.c. Borely went after Barnes and on coming up with him, found his bottle was full of wheat and he had more wheat in his four pockets, each man had about a peck of wheat. On searching Rampling's house, near two bushels of wheat was found and in the house of Barnes, who is only 24 years of age, 8 stone of flour, quite fresh from the mill. Barnes has been with Mr Frost since a child and placed great confidence in them both. Both were in receipt of 10s per week and beer. Committed.

November `6th 1853.

At Boxford Petty Sessions. Daniel Vince of Polstead was fined 2 and 10s costs for "rescuing" from the custody of the p.c.Frewer, a sow which he was driving to the pound, this being his 2nd offence.

November 23rd 1853.

A small dairy of milch cows for sale, for Mr William Ewer of Ashen House near Clare.

To be offered for sale on Clare market hill at 2 in the afternoon on 29th of November, also 2 shorthorn cows and a handsome bull of the true Suffolk breed.

November 23rd 1853.

On Sunday morning between 3 and 4, fire was discovered in a large thatched barn at Cockfield Hall, the property of the late Samuel Buck and in the occupation of Mr Talbot. The barn which was about 40 yards long with a cow house and lodges was destroyed with the produce of 15 acres of wheat-10 acres of barley - 7 acres of oats and 6 acres of white clover- machinery and 3 fine colts were also destroyed.

Lavenham Fire Engine attended with it's new powerful engine which proved most efficient, the fire was not quenched until the afternoon, everything was insured so if malice was the occasion of the fire it utterly failed in it's objective.

November 23rd 1853.

The town of Clare was lighted with gas for it's first time on Monday.

November 23rd 1853.

On Saturday night a daring robbery was committed at the Bell Inn at Hartest, Joseph Maxim the landlord, heard a slight noise and a footstep in the bedroom above where he was sleeping, he went up and on looking down into the yard he observed a man named Dye hiding something in a faggot, on searching the faggot, Mr Maxim found a box of the benefit club which was held at the Inn, he taxed Dye who denied it, however before the magistrate he confessed. Dye was a former member of the club, there was 15-16 in the box, a larger amount was probably expected by Dye but 50 in cash and a note for 100 had been deposited in the bank.

November 30th 1853.

Wheat at Sudbury Market averaged 70s 7d a quarter.

December 7th 1853.

We understand the allotment holders at Bulmer in Essex have suffered so much this year by the potato disease that their rent has been considerably reduced by the owners Earl Howe and others.

December 14th 1853

In reference to statements in some Suffolk papers impunging the conduct of labourers at the fire on Mr William Orbell's premises at Pentlow we are informed in authcaity that great efforts were made to save the property by the labourers of Pentlow and other villages. We may also add that the saving of 2 wheat stacks was attributed to the excellent engine belonging to Cavendish, Pentlow and Foxearth, this is an efficient brigade conducted by The Rev.Bull.

December 21st 1853

A labouring man by the name of Bean employed by Mr Cady at St.Bartholomew's farm at Sudbury suddenly fell from a waggon and pitched on his head and was killed on the spot.

December 21st 1853

The church wardens of Melford, Mr Thomas Blunden and Mr Daniel Mills are determined to present to the deserving poor of Melford a 50 stone bullock on Friday next as there was never such a time when the humbler classes were in greater need than the present both from the inclemency of the weather and dullness of prospects. It is hoped that their liberality will induce other wealthy inhabitants to follow their example.

December 28th 1853

The butchers of Sudbury have exhibited some excellent specimens of Christmas beef but the shop of Mr Brock of North Street Sudbury was the focus of great attention. The entire front of the shop measuring 83 feet by 20 feet was covered with hares, pheasants, partridges, turkeys, geese, ducks and chickens, all attractively arranged with holly, mistletoe and greenery in the midst of which was a portrait of the proprietor who is just taking his pipe out of his mouth and wishing everyone a Happy Christmas.

December 28th 1853.

Married at Ashen---Shepherd Ewer to Mary Ann the relict of Thomas Chickall and only daughter of Samuel Viall of Foxearth.