January 5th 1852
Died at Letheringsett, Johnson Jex, originally a blacksmith and afterwards a manufacturer of watches. He was born at Billingford in or about the year 1778. After the death of his mother, in about 1830, he led a life of complete solitude, and became a scientific anchorite. “The first watch ever constructed by Jex was made after he had settled at Letheringsett, for his friend the Rev. T. Munnings, of Gorgate Hall, near East Dereham. Every part of this watch, including the silver face, and every tool employed in its construction, was of Jex’s own making.”
January 10th 1852
“Dr. Woolley is resigning the head mastership of King Edward VI. Grammar School (Norwich), on his appointment as principal of the University College and professor of classical literature in the University of Sydney.” He was succeeded by Dr. Vincent.
January 10th 1852
Mr. Justice Patteson retired from the Bench. With the exception of Barons Parke and Alderson, he was, in point of official service, the oldest judge on the Bench.
January 19th 1852
After many delays, the statue of Lord Nelson, executed by Mr. Milnes, of London, arrived in Norwich, and was placed in St. Andrew’s Hall for public inspection. The estimated cost of the statue was £700. A public subscription was opened in Norwich in 1847; by 1848 £175 had been contributed; in October, 1849, the fund reached £268, and in October, 1851, £300. “At present (1852) the whole amount subscribed, which is scarcely £400, will not repay the sculptor for the purchase of the block and his out-of-pocket expenses.” (_See_ March 24th, 1856.)
January 21st 1852
Died in London, Lieut.-Col. John Smith, of Ellingham Hall, “a generous supporter of the trade and interests of the district.” He served several years in India, in the 2nd Madras Light Cavalry, and resigned his commission shortly after succeeding to the Ellingham estate. The funeral took place at Ellingham, on February 27th.
March 2nd 1852
A requisition, signed by one thousand persons, was presented to Mr. T. O. Springfield, soliciting him to offer himself as a candidate for the representation of Norwich. Mr. Springfield declined the request, on the ground that Parliamentary duties would tend to the shortening of his life.
March 6th 1852
“Died, lately, on the West Coast of Africa, in the 19th year of his age, Charles, youngest son of Mr. Wood, of Morston. He was a midshipman on board H.M.S. Sampson, and was put in charge, under Lieut. Gilbert Elliott, with twelve of the best seamen and one carpenter, in October last, of a slave felucca captured by the Sampson, and was last seen off the island of St. Thomas on the 31st, and departed on that day for Badajoz, a distance of five or six days’ sail; but although anxiously expected, and notwithstanding several ships of war having since passed over her track, she has never been heard of since. Some heavy tornados are said to have occurred about the time she was missed.”
March 12th 1852
A special meeting of the Norwich Town Council was held, “to take into consideration the recent gross insult to the citizens of Norwich in the person of their Chief Magistrate.” The Conservative members, with one or two exceptions, abstained from attending. It was resolved, “That the Mayor of Norwich for the time being is, by prescription and charter, the first citizen of Norwich, and by custom and courtesy has been always so esteemed in public and private; that the Council learn with regret that a gross insult has been offered to the Mayor in a place of public amusement, and it is the opinion of the Council that the conduct of the individual who offered the insult is derogatory to him as a magistrate and a citizen.” The resolution was adopted, and it was further agreed “That a copy of the resolution with respect to the insult offered to the Mayor by Capt. Ives, with the seal of the Council affixed, be transmitted to the Secretary of State, to the Lord Lieutenant of the county, and to the Mayor.” (No details were published.)
March 19th 1852
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Serjeant Adams (sitting as Commissioner in place of Mr. Justice Crompton), Hannah Neale was indicted for the wilful murder of William Neale, her husband, by poisoning him, at Outwell, in July, 1851. The jury acquitted the prisoner.
March 24th 1852
Died at Woolwich, Col. Courtenay Cruttenden, R.A. He served in the Army 48 years, and was present at the capture of Guadeloupe, in 1815. For several years he was inspector of drills in the garrison at Woolwich.
March 27th 1852
“The late Edward Lombe, Esq., of Melton Hall, Wymondham, recently deceased at Florence, has left his personal property, subject to a life interest to his wife, to University College Hospital. The property is estimated at more than £25,000.”
April 10th 1852
A statement was published as to the proposed disposal of the sum of £1,263 4s. 5d. realised by the two concerts given by Jenny Lind in 1849. It was her wish “that the money should be employed in founding and supporting some new charity, and, if possible, a lasting one, for the poor of Norwich.” The committee, “feeling that no charity could be permanent which was not in a great measure self-supporting,” resolved to devote the money to establishing public baths and wash-houses. A large malthouse in St. Stephen’s, formerly the property of Mr. Crawshay, was to be purchased for £700, and plans and specifications for converting the building into baths had been prepared by a London architect, “but unfortunately the lowest tenders exceed by a very large amount the sum at the disposal of the committee. They find that unless they can raise £1,000 in addition to their present fund, they must entirely give up the undertaking.” The Mayor was requested to convene a public meeting, which was held at the Guildhall on April 21st, when Mr. Samuel Bignold moved a resolution in favour of the adoption of the baths scheme. Mr. Henry Browne strongly protested against the proposed misappropriation of the money, and the question was adjourned for a month. Meanwhile several local charities made claims for assistance, and on May 27th a further adjournment was decided upon. The matter was in abeyance until February 7th, 1853, when Dr. W. H. Ranking, in a letter to the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, advocated “the endowment of an additional ward or wards in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, to be appropriated to the treatment of diseases of children.” On May 30th, 1853, a public meeting was held at the Guildhall, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop, “for the purpose of promoting the establishment of an institution for sick children.” It was resolved, on the motion of Mr. J. G. Johnson, seconded by the Mayor (Mr. Coaks), “That an infirmary for the treatment of the diseases of sick children be established in Norwich, to be called the Jenny Lind Infirmary for Sick Children.” The first meeting of the supporters of the new institution was held under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. Samuel Bignold), “in the house in Pottergate Street taken for the Charity,” on December 16th, 1853.
April 17th 1852
“The premises of the old Waterworks Company have been purchased of the Corporation by the new company, who have liberally offered to give up their interest in Chapel Field to the Corporation on condition that the latter shall undertake to lay out the Field as a park and pleasure-ground, so as to render it an ornament to the city. The Corporation will have a considerable surplus fund in hand when the company have paid the purchase-money for the Waterworks. By a plan submitted by Mr. Lynore, engineer of the Waterworks, the Field will be enclosed by a dwarf wall and railings, with handsome entrance-gates at the Theatre Street, Crescent, and St. Giles’ corners, and a porter’s lodge at the latter. The interior is to be laid out in the style of the London parks, the reservoir to be retained, but altered in shape, and the present tower to be ornamented and furnished with waiting-rooms, it is also proposed to place the Nelson statue on an elegant fountain pedestal in the centre of the reservoir.”
April 18th 1852
Died, Mr. George Bennett, comedian, aged 76.
May 1st 1852
A detachment of the 4th (Queen’s Own) Light Dragoons arrived at Norwich Cavalry Barracks, to relieve the Queen’s Bays, who had marched for Manchester.
May 1st 1852
“We have now had ten weeks’ drought, the last wet day being the 18th of February.”
May 2nd 1852
Died, in his 49th year, at his residence, Grosvenor Street, London, Mr. John Dalrymple, F.R.S. He was the eldest son of Mr. William Dalrymple, the distinguished Norwich surgeon. After studying under his father and at Edinburgh University, Mr. Dalrymple passed his examination before the College of Surgeons in 1827, and commenced practice in Norwich. In 1832 he was elected an assistant surgeon to the Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital, of which institution he became, in 1843, full surgeon. In 1847 he was appointed consulting surgeon to the North London Infirmary, and in 1851 became a member of the Council of the College of Surgeons. Mr. Dalrymple was one of the founders of the Royal College of Chemistry.
May 7th 1852
In the Court of Queen’s Bench an important decision was given in the case of the Queen _v._ Robert Wiffin Blake, who had been required to show by what authority he had exercised the office of town councillor at Norwich. At the previous municipal election Mr. Blake, who was then one of the six aldermen of the city, became a candidate for the office of councillor of the Fourth Ward. Mr. Cundall, a Conservative, was his opponent. Mr. Blake having a majority of five votes, the presiding alderman and assessor returned him as duly elected, notwithstanding that notice had been given of his ineligibility. The Court decided that Mr. Blake could not be elected a councillor while holding the office of alderman. The defendant filed a disclaimer of the office of town councillor, and therefore allowed judgment of ouster to pass against him, with costs. (_See_ November 23rd.)
May 8th 1852
Died at Nice, in his 85th year, General Auguste De Bardelin. For many years the deceased was a highly respected resident in Norwich. A native of Aix, in Provence, and born of a noble family, he was appointed one of the _garde du corps_ of Louis XVI., and was on duty at Versailles on October 6th, 1789, when the Royal palace was assailed by the insurrectionary mob of Paris, and the King and Queen were defended from assassination through the heroic sacrifice of life by many gentlemen of their bodyguard. M. De Bardelin accompanied the French princes in their exile, and afterwards came to England and settled in Norwich. There he remained about twenty-two years, supporting himself by teaching the French and Italian languages. In 1814 he accompanied Louis XVIII. to Paris, and the Government of the Restoration being established, he resumed his military occupation. After Bonaparte’s second abdication, he returned with has lawful Sovereign. For ten years from that time M. De Bardelin continued to reside at the Royal chateau at St. Germains, in which a handsome suite of apartments was appropriated to his use, where he always delighted in welcoming the visits of his Norwich friends. In 1830 he was promoted to be Général Maréchal de Camp. In 1815 or 1816 the Chevalier married Miss Sutton, a lady well-known to Roman Catholic families of distinction in Norfolk and Suffolk. Madame De Bardelin died in 1826. In 1830 General De Bardelin resigned has command and resided in Paris till 1848, when the Republic being proclaimed, he went to his native province, and in the winter of 1851 sojourned at Nice. “He always referred to his residence at Norwich as the best period of his life. His pupils at Thurgar’s school were enquired after with affectionate interest; he remembered the hospitalities at Crown Point, where General Money gave him a second home, and he never could forget the day when he quitted Norwich by the mail coach from the Angel Inn, on the restoration of the Bourbons;—passengers, horses, and all were decorated with white cockades, and a host of friends assembled to cheer and bid him farewell in true old English style.” The daughter of General De Bardelin became the Baroness de Fabry.
May 14th 1852
St. Martin-at-Palace church, Norwich, was re-opened, after being restored and in great part rebuilt. In August, 1851, while the church was undergoing repair, a portion of the roof fell in and brought down with it the eastern end of the north aisle.
May 23rd 1852
A serious fire took place at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich. The roof was entirely consumed, and a number of rooms destroyed. The Watch Committee, on May 21st, held an inquiry into certain allegations regarding a deficiency in the water supply, and the inefficiency of the fire-engines.
May 31st 1852
Kensington Gardens, Lakenham, were opened to the public, who “found amusement in the collections of animals and birds.” During the Assize week “there was a pyrotechnic and scenic exhibition on the meadow side of the river, called, ‘The Storming of San Sebastian,’ being an imitation of the pyrotechnic display at Cremorne.”
June 5th 1852
Election proceedings commenced in Norwich with the arrival of the Marquis of Douro and Lieut.-Col. Dickson, who had been adopted Conservative candidates. The Whig-Radical candidates, Messrs. Peto and Warner, arrived at Wymondham on the 9th, and proceeded thence by road to Norwich. At Mile End a procession was formed, headed by men carrying large and small loaves, labelled respectively “Free Trade” and “Protection.” In the evening the candidates addressed a great meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall. (_See_ July 7th.)
June 5th 1852
“Through the exertions of several persons interested, the city and county magistrates have taken steps to put a stop to spring netting in the Wensum and Yare, and a fund is being raised to defray the expenses of protecting the rivers and prosecuting offenders.”
June 15th 1852
A cricket match, between 22 of Lynn and 11 of All England, commenced at Lynn, and concluded on the 16th. Lynn, 63—58; All England, 41—66.
June 19th 1852
The Witton estate was purchased by Mr. John Penrice for £18,900. “The Cromer Hall estate, the property of the Countess of Listowel, including the Gothic mansion, several farm-houses, and upwards of 1,200 acres of land, with several manors, has been purchased by private contract for £60,000, by Mr. Benjamin Bond Cabbell, M.P. for Boston.”
July 2nd 1852
At the Norfolk Sessions the county justices received the resignation of Col. Richard Montague Oakes, Chief Constable. Capt. Black was elected in his place on October 22nd. Col. Oakes was presented, on October 23rd, with a silver vase, subscribed for by the superintendents and constables of the Norfolk constabulary.
July 7th 1852
The nomination of candidates for the representation of Norwich took place at the Guildhall. The show of hands was in favour of Messrs. Peto and Warner, and a poll was demanded on behalf of the Marquis of Douro and Col. Dickson. The polling-booths were opened at eight o’clock on the morning of the 8th, and closed at four o’clock in the afternoon, and the result was officially declared at one o’clock on the 9th: Peto, 2,190; Warner, 2,145; Douro, 1,592; Dickson, 1,465. The issues on which the election was fought were Free Trade and Protection.
July 7th 1852
Mr. C. E. Rumbold and Sir E. Lacon, “Moderate Conservatives,” and Mr. W. T. M’Cullagh and Sir C. Napier, Whig-Radicals, were nominated Parliamentary candidates for Yarmouth. The polling took place on the 8th: Lacon, 611; Rumbold; 547; M’Cullagh, 521; Napier, 486.
July 8th 1852
Lynn election: Lord Jocelyn, 627; Lord Stanley, 551; Mr. Robert Pashley, Q.C., 383. The two first-named were returned.
July 9th 1852
The Hon. Francis Baring and the Earl of Euston were returned unopposed for the borough of Thetford.
July 12th 1852
Mr. Edmond Wodehouse and Mr. Henry Negus Burroughes were returned unopposed as members for East Norfolk.
July 17th 1852
The nomination of candidates for West Norfolk took place at Swaffham. Mr. William Bagge and Mr. George Pierrepont Bentinck were the Conservative nominees, and Mr. Anthony Hamond the Liberal candidate. “Mr. Hamond was formerly a Protectionist, and opposed Mr. Cobden at the Free Trade meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, only a week before Sir Robert Peel proposed to repeal the Corn Laws. Mr. Hamond now avows himself a Free Trader.” He was nominated at the last moment to fill the vacancy occasioned by the retirement of the Hon. E. K. Coke. The poll was opened on the 20th and 21st, and on the 23rd the result was declared as follows: Bagge, 3,421; Bentinck, 3,143; Hamond, 1,973.
August 14th 1852
A general meeting of the Deputy Lieutenants of the County was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of the Act 15 and 16 Vic., for raising a force not exceeding 80,000 men, of which number 50,000 were to be raised in 1852, and 30,000 in 1855. The Earl of Orford moved, and it was resolved, that the Lord Lieutenant be requested to apply to the Secretary of State to obtain her Majesty’s Order in Council for the subdivision districts to be made coterminous with the Superintendent Registrar’s districts; and to be furnished with a list of the number of men liable to serve in each subdivision and parish. On September 18th measures were adopted for the enlistment of two regiments of Militia—612 men to serve in the Western Regiment, and a like number in the Eastern Regiment. Sufficient numbers of men were forthcoming without having recourse to the Ballot Act. (_See_ April 19th, 1853.)
August 21st 1852
Bylaugh Hall, the stately home of the Lombe family, was completed at about this date. The mansion was erected under the provisions of the will of Sir John Lombe, Bart., who died in 1817. The will directed “that so long as the house remained uncommenced the money should be invested and allowed to accumulate at compound interest.” The new mansion was begun in 1849, under the supervision and control of the trustees in whom the building fund was vested. It was erected from the designs of Messrs. Banks and Barry, of London, by Messrs. Piper, of Bishopsgate Street, whose contract amounted to £29,389. The interior was decorated by Mr. Sang “and his German artists.” (_See_ July 4th, 1857.)
September 14th 1852
Intelligence was received at Norwich of the death of the Duke of Wellington. The muffled bells of the city churches were tolled for several hours. On November 18th, the day of the funeral, the principal shops were closed, and the Mayor and Corporation and the military forces stationed in the city attended a special service at the Cathedral.
September 17th 1852
Mr. S. Chambers, R.N., made a balloon ascent from the Vauxhall Gardens, Yarmouth, and descended on Mautby marshes.
September 18th 1852
Died at Saham Toney, John Thurston, labourer, in the 105th year of his age.
September 21st 1852
The Norfolk and Norwich Triennial Musical Festival commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The opening concert included selections from the works of classical composers, and a reading by Mrs. Fanny Kemble from the “Midsummer Night’s Dream,” with incidental music. “Israel Restored” was performed at the morning concert on the 22nd, and selections by popular composers were given in the evening. On the morning of the 23rd, “Jerusalem” (H. H. Pierson) was performed for the first time, and a miscellaneous concert took place in the evening. “The Messiah” was rendered on the morning of the 24th, and a dress ball was held in the evening. The principal vocalists were Madame Viardot Garcia, Madame Fiorentini, Miss Louisa Pyne, Miss Dolby, Miss Alleyne, Signor Gardoni, Mr. Sims Reeves, Mr. Lockey, Signor Belletti, Mr. Weiss, and Herr Formes. Mr. Benedict conducted. The gross receipts were £4,665 7s. 2d.; gross expenses, £4,171 17s. 1d.; surplus, £493 10s. 1d.
September 30th 1852
Died, Rear-Admiral William Fisher, captain superintendent of Sheerness dockyard, and author of two naval novels, “The Petrel” and “The Albatross.” He was the second son of Mr. John Fisher, of Yarmouth, and was born November 18th, 1780. Admiral Fisher entered the Navy in 1795, and was engaged in many important services. He married, in 1810, Elizabeth, sister of Sir James Rivett Carnac, Bart., Governor of Bombay.
October 5th 1852
A prize-fight took place on St. Andrew’s Green, near Bungay, between James Perowne, of Norwich, and James High, of Ellingham. “The former was seconded by a man named Mace,” and the other by Smith, of Ditchingham. The police endeavoured to take possession of the ring, but were put to flight by the mob; and the men fighting to a finish, High was declared the victor. Principals and seconds, with the exception of Mace, were subsequently committed for trial, and at Beccles Quarter Sessions, on October 18th, were bound over to keep the peace. Jim Mace was apprehended at Litcham, on November 2nd, and at Beccles Quarter Sessions on January 3rd, 1853, was ordered to enter into his own recognisances to be of good behaviour.
October 6th 1852
Died at Quebec, Stephen Codman, for thirty-six years organist of the cathedral church in that city. He was a native of Norwich, where he received his musical education under Dr. Beckwith.
October 7th 1852
The Priory Schools, Yarmouth, were opened by the Bishop of Norwich. “The site of the schools originally formed the refectory of the Benedictine friars. Many of the walls of the priory still remain, and the hall has been for many years used for the ignoble purposes of a stable.”
October 27th 1852
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which a public subscription was opened for the erection of a statue to the memory of the Duke of Wellington. On October 4th, 1853, it was decided that the statue should be of bronze, and Mr. G. Adams was commissioned to prepare the model. (_See_ November 2nd, 1854.)
November 6th 1852
Died at Ormesby, near Yarmouth, in his 82nd year, Rear-Admiral Black, one of the oldest officers in the Navy. He had seen much active service, and had been employed on the North-West coast of America.
November 9th 1852
For the office of Mayor of Norwich two candidates were nominated—Mr. Samuel Bignold and Mr. Richard Coaks. The voting was equal, and the Mayor giving his casting-vote in favour of the latter, Mr. Coaks was declared duly elected. Mr. George Womack was appointed Sheriff. (_See_ November 23rd.)
November 22nd 1852
Election petitions were laid upon the table of the House of Commons, against the return of Messrs. Peto and Warner, as members for Norwich. (_See_ February 24th, 1853.)
November 23rd 1852
In the Court of Queen’s Bench a rule in the nature of a _quo warranto_ was applied for, calling upon Mr. Coaks, Mayor of Norwich, to show by what authority he exercised that office. The affidavits stated that on November 9th there were two candidates for the Mayoralty, Mr. Bignold and Mr. Coaks, and that the retiring Mayor refused to record the vote of Mr. Cundall in favour of Mr. Bignold. Consequently the voting was even, and the retiring Mayor gave his casting-vote in favour of Mr. Coaks. The affidavits further stated, in support of Mr. Cundall’s right to vote, that at the election of councillors on November 1st, 1851, Mr. Cundall was a candidate in opposition to Mr. Robert Wiffin Blake, then one of the aldermen of Norwich, and therefore ineligible to be elected a councillor; and that Mr. Cundall had, prior to the election, given notice of Mr. Blake’s disqualification, but that Mr. Blake was elected by a majority of five votes. Subsequently, on a _quo warranto_ being filed against him, judgment of ouster was obtained. Mr. Cundall therefore made the required declaration before two councillors, and took his seat as a councillor at the late election of Mayor, and claimed to have his vote recorded for Mr. Bignold, which, if received, would have placed him in a majority of one over Mr. Coaks; but such vote was rejected by the retiring Mayor. The Court granted the rule. The Attorney-General showed cause against the rule on January 28th, 1853. The Court was of opinion that Mr. Cundall had made out a clear _prima facie_ case, and the rule for the _quo warranto_ was made absolute. Lord Campbell gave judgment in the case on January 21st, 1854. He said it entirely depended on the right of Cundall to vote. He held that on November 9th, 1852, Cundall was a member of the Council, and had a right to vote for Mr. Bignold, and if he had so voted Mr. Bignold would have been duly elected Mayor. Mr. Coaks had usurped that office, and the _quo warranto_ had been properly issued. Mr. Justice Crompton was of the same opinion. Judgment for the Crown.
December 11th 1852
“The long-continued rains have increased the floods in the valleys of the Eastern division of the county. Throughout the valley of the Yare, a large extent of land has been for some time under water, on either side of the river, for a distance of thirty miles.” At Southery and Feltwell about 8,000 acres were flooded, and upwards of one hundred poor families were compelled to leave their habitations. The estimated loss to the district was between £25,000 and £30,000, and a public subscription was opened for the relief of the sufferers.
December 21st 1852
The Public Library and Museums Act Committee reported to the Norwich Town Council that it was desirable to hire the Museum for the use of the public for two days in the week, and to erect a building for the purposes of a free library, and that, in compliance with the Act, a rate of one halfpenny in the pound be levied, one-third to be devoted to the former object, and two-thirds to the latter. The principle of the rate was affirmed, and its application postponed for further consideration. (_See_ September 13th, 1854.)
December 24th 1852
“Died at Reedham, a few days since, at the advanced age of 103, Mr. John Softly. He retained his faculties and was an active man up to the time of his death.”
December 26th 1852
One of the most terrific storms of wind and rain ever remembered at Norwich occurred on this date. In the rural districts many stacks were blown down and scattered in all directions.