<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> <head> <title>1850 Norfolk Chronicle newspaper Selections</title> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foxearth1.css" /> </head> <body> <a class="gohome" title="clicking here takes you back to the Foxearth and District Local History Society Homepage" href="index.html"> <div class="logosmall"> <div class="stuff"> The Foxearth and District Local History Society </div> </div> </a> <div class="pagetitle">1850 Norfolk Chronicle newspaper Selections</div><p class="dateofstory">January 3<span class="th">rd</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Mr. Sims Reeves took part in a performance of  the Messiah at St. Andrew s Hall, Norwich. The other vocalists included Miss Poole, Miss Kenneth, Herr Formes, and Master Mann. </p><p class="dateofstory">January 10<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">A sculling match from Bramerton to Whitlingham, for 10 a side, between R. Buttle, of Norwich, and Aldred, one of the crew of the  Young Company, Yarmouth, was won easily by the former. </p><p class="dateofstory">January 16<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Aylsham was for the first time lighted with gas, an event celebrated by the ringing of the church bells, by the distribution of beer, and by a dinner and ball at the Black Boys Hotel. A display of fireworks ended the festivities. </p><p class="dateofstory">January 18<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Acts of disorder were committed by the female factory hands in Norwich, owing to an alteration being made in the working hours. They broke with snowballs the windows in the house of Mr. Douglas, one of the manufacturers, and waylaid him on St. Martin-at-Palace Plain. To save himself from being stripped naked, he took refuge in a neighbouring office. </p><p class="dateofstory">January 20<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died at Ranworth, the Rev. T. B. Greaves, for forty years vicar of South Lynn, and thirty-six years vicar of Wiggenhall St. Giles. He was the author of a volume of poems entitled,  Greaves Wilderness. </p><p class="dateofstory">January 28<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">A meeting, convened by the High Sheriff (Col. Mason), on the requisition of 3,000 signatories, was held at Swaffham,  for the purpose of adopting means to secure the return of a Protective policy. The railway companies ran special trains for the convenience of persons desirous of attending the meeting. The High Sheriff was supported by Lord Orford, Lord Sondes, and the members for the division. A resolution was adopted to the effect that the depression under which the agricultural, commercial, and industrial classes laboured was owing principally to legislative enactments, and nothing but a return to a protective policy could restore the permanent prosperity of agriculture, trade, and commerce. It was decided to present to the Queen and to Parliament a petition embodying these views. </p><p class="dateofstory">February 11<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">A public meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, to give the citizens the opportunity of expressing their opinion upon the new Water Works Bill. A resolution was adopted in its favour. On the 12th the Town Council agreed to petition the House of Commons in opposition to the Bill, on the ground principally that no provision was made for such a supply of water as the inhabitants required, and that the scale of rates was too high. On the 19th the Corporation authorised the expenditure of 250  to defray the expense of defending the rights of the present Water Works Company and of opposing the new Water Works Bill in Parliament. On March 27th Mr. David Stevenson, C.E., Edinburgh, held a public inquiry at the Guildhall respecting the application for the new Bill, and subsequently made a tour of inspection. He stated that Norwich was as badly supplied with water as any place he was ever in. The Bill went before the Committee of the House of Commons on May 2nd, and on the 16th was reported to the House of Lords. It passed its third reading in the House of Commons on June 3rd. The Town Council, on June 12th, appointed a committee to confer with the promoters of the Bill as to certain clauses; and on June 15th it was announced that the promoters had adopted a course that was satisfactory to the representatives of the Council. Opposition was then withdrawn. The first general meeting of the shareholders of the Norwich Water Works Company was held on October 15th, under the presidency of Mr. Bignold, chairman of the company. </p><p class="dateofstory">March 13<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Festivities commenced at Shadwell Court, and were continued three days, in celebration of the coming of age of Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, who was presented by the tenantry with a massive silver salver. The band of the 2nd Life Guards was in attendance. </p><p class="dateofstory">March 24<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Snow fell to the depth of 12 inches. A drift occurred in the chalk cutting between Narborough and Swaffham, and delayed railway traffic. </p><p class="dateofstory">March 26<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died at Lambeth, aged 66, Mr. William Bath, President of the Money Order Office, St. Martin s le Grand. He was Mayor of Yarmouth in 1824 and 1826, and was the first Mayor of that borough after the passing of the Municipal Reform Act, when he occupied the civic chair during two successive terms. </p><p class="dateofstory">April 5<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">At the Norfolk Assizes, before Lord Chief Baron Pollock, Blofield John Rix and Henry Senior were charged with stealing, embezzling, and misappropriating various sums of money, to the amount of 10,589 18s., the property of their employers. Both prisoners were employed at the Diss Bank. The proprietor, Mr. Dyson, was taken seriously ill in the month of December, 1848, and an arrangement was made that Mr. Thomas Lombe Taylor, son of Mr. Meadows Taylor, a former partner with Mr. Dyson, should be taken into partnership, and the partnership commenced in 1849. On January 19th Mr. Dyson died, and Mr. Taylor intended to dispose of the business to the firm of Messrs. Harveys and Hudson. It became necessary to go through the accounts, and then the frauds were discovered. The prisoners were tried on a charge of simple larceny, whereupon they pleaded guilty, and were sentenced, Rix to 18 months and Senior to 12 months imprisonment. </p><p class="dateofstory">April 5<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The action, Berney _v._ Delane and Co., was tried at the Norfolk Assizes, before Lord Chief Baron Pollock. The question at issue was the right to the use of the stream which worked Taverham Mills. The defendants manufactured the paper for  The Times newspaper,  and their broadsheets were every day scattered round the terrestrial globe, and were to be found in every corner of the earth. In order to carry on their business, the defendants had the right to raise the stream behind their mills; they had not only raised it to the height they were entitled to enjoy, but very much higher; so high that they had flooded the lands of Mr. Thomas Trench Berney, and had rendered them useless for sheep grazing. The case was ultimately referred to Mr. Russell Gurney, and a verdict for the plaintiff was taken on account of the damage laid in the declaration, subject to such reference. </p><p class="dateofstory">April 17<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The Mayor of Norwich (Mr. Woodcock) having offered to provide an illuminated clock and clock turret at the Guildhall, on condition that the Corporation removed the false ceiling in the Council Chamber and laid open the old roof, it was unanimously resolved to accept the clock. It was made by Messrs. Moore, of Clerkenwell, London, and fixed in a turret designed by Mr. Kerr, in the month of October. </p><p class="dateofstory">April 30<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The headquarters of the 16th Lancers marched from Norwich for Hounslow. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 1<span class="th">st</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Sultzer s public baths were opened in St. Augustine s, Norwich. In the course of six months they were used by 10,943 persons. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 4<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Attention was directed to the system then becoming more prevalent than ever, of driving dogs in trucks or small carts along the public roads.  To say nothing of the cruelty to the dogs, few horses will pass them without risk of accident. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 6<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The season terminated at Norwich Theatre. The house was under the management of Mr. Clarence (afterwards known as Mr. Clarence Holt). </p><p class="dateofstory">May 14<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The Norwich Town Council adopted an address of congratulation to the Queen and Prince Albert upon the birth, on May 1st, of a Prince (Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught). </p><p class="dateofstory">May 16<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Mr. W. Lee, C.E., one of the Inspectors of the Board of Health, opened, at the Guildhall, Norwich, a public inquiry into the sanitary state of the city. It lasted eight days. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 16<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">A sturgeon, measuring 6 ft. 2 in. in length and 3 ft. 6 in. in girth, and weighing 15 st. 3 lbs., was shot in the river Wissey, near Hilgay Bridge.  It is surprising how a fish of this size could get up the river so far, as it had to pass through several sluices. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 17<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died at Mill Hill, Hendon, aged 57, Sir James Flower, Bart. He was a son of the first baronet, by the eldest daughter and co-heiress of Mr. James Squire, of Portsmouth. In 1816 he married the daughter of Sir Walter Stirling, Bart. He succeeded his father in 1834. In 1838 he filled the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk, and in 1843 was appointed a deputy-lieutenant for Herefordshire. A Conservative in politics, he contested the representation of Thetford with the Earl of Euston, when a  double return resulted. On petition, Sir James was declared the sitting member. The first baronet was an alderman of the City of London, who filled the office of Lord Mayor in the year of the Jubilee. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 19<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Lieut. John Allen, commander of the Prince of Wales Revenue cutter, boarded off Happisburgh a vessel named the Sea Flower, of Hull, and found her laden with 122 bales of contraband tobacco of 50 lbs. each, the duty upon which amounted to 900. The vessel and cargo were confiscated. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 24<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The headquarters of the 11th Hussars arrived at Norwich, under command of Col. the Earl of Cardigan.  This regiment has a fine appearance. The uniform is blue jacket, braided, scarlet trousers, and bearskin cap. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 24<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The Queen s birthday was celebrated at Norwich by the Pockthorpe  Corporation parading in the Market Place,  the  Mayor and  Aldermen wearing their scarlet gowns and bearing themselves with all the conscious dignity of office. The Sheriff of Norwich (Mr. James Colman) entertained the inmates of the Workhouse, the Infirmary, and the Boys Home to dinner at St. Andrew s Hall, and the Mayor (Mr. Woodcock) gave a dinner at the Assembly Rooms. </p><p class="dateofstory">May 29<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">A new organ, the gift of Col. Mason, was opened at Necton church. </p><p class="dateofstory">June 5<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">An extraordinary will was left by Miss Margaret Creake, of St. Andrew s, Norwich, whose death occurred on this date. She was the last of three sisters, very eccentric in their manners and parsimonious in their way of living. She directed that her relatives who chose to prove their identity should receive one shilling each; a legacy of 20 was left to one neighbour, and of 10 to another. She directed that 50 be given to each homeless person above 68 years of age in London, Ireland, and Scotland, and that all her real estate be employed in founding a hospital for aged persons, the hospital to be built and the inmates habited according to her directions. The property, valued at 20,000, being insufficient, the wishes of the testatrix could not be carried out. Upwards of 1,000 persons visited the late residence of the deceased,  the filthiness of which was beyond description. Shortly after the death of Miss Creake, a chemist named Woolner, with whom she had been intimate, committed suicide by poisoning himself. It was then rumoured that the woman had met with her death by foul means. The Coroner (Mr. Wilde) ordered the exhumation of the body from St. Clement s churchyard. An examination of the remains was made by Mr. T. W. Crosse, who attributed death to natural causes. </p><p class="dateofstory">June 9<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died at Norwich, aged 60, Mr. John Green Crosse, senior surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Mr. Crosse was a native of Suffolk, and received his early professional education under Mr. Bailey, at Stowmarket. After a distinguished career as a medical student in London, he became demonstrator of anatomy in Dublin. He visited Paris, where he made himself sufficiently acquainted with the French schools of medicine to enable him on his return to publish  Sketches of the Medical Schools of Paris. He settled in Norwich in 1815, and in the following year married a daughter of his former master and friend. In 1825 he was elected assistant-surgeon of the Hospital, and on the death of Mr. Bond succeeded to the surgeoncy on August 25th, 1826. There he gained for himself a surgical reputation which was described as  not local, not provincial, not British, not European, but universal. Mr. Crosse was one of the founders of the Pathological Society; he was a Fellow of the Royal Society, a Fellow of the College of Surgeons of England, a Doctor of Medicine in the Universities of Heidelberg and St. Andrew s, a member of several scientific bodies, and the author of many valuable professional works and papers. His remains were interred on June 14th, in the burial ground of Norwich Cathedral. </p><p class="dateofstory">July 9<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Intelligence was received in Norwich of the death of H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge. The bells of the city churches were tolled. </p><p class="dateofstory">July 29<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Mrs. Charles Gill (Miss Vining) appeared at Norwich Theatre, after an absence of five years, and was enthusiastically received by a crowded house. </p><p class="dateofstory">August 3<span class="th">rd</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Comment was made upon the altered circumstances of the Norwich Assize week:  Alterations in our system of jurisprudence have caused some change in the character of our Assizes, and diminished the number attending them; whilst changes of our social system have led the higher classes to join less in the popular amusements of the people. </p><p class="dateofstory">August 10<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Potash Farm, formerly occupied by James Blomfield Rush, was sold by auction by Mr. Butcher, for 3,100. The purchaser was Sir J. P. Boileau, Bart. </p><p class="dateofstory">August 17<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story"> Messrs. E. and R. W. Blake, of Norwich, have purchased the Yarn Factory, with its machinery, for 14,000, under direction of the Master in Chancery, under the Winding-Up Act. The stock is valued at 7,219, making, with the purchase, the sum total of 21,219. </p><p class="dateofstory">August 17<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died, Hannah Sarah Hancock, daughter of the Rev. Thomas Wigg Hancock, of St. Helen s parsonage, Norwich. She was born on November 8th, 1781. At eight years of age she compiled a dictionary for children, and throughout her life took great interest in music and painting. She received the silver medal of the Society of Arts in 1805, and in 1807 was granted a second silver medal by the same society for an oil painting after the design by Rubens in the altarpiece at Antwerp. </p><p class="dateofstory">August 17<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Considerable inconvenience was caused at Norwich by a strike of the firemen and engine-drivers on the Eastern Counties Railway. </p><p class="dateofstory">August 24<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died at Birkenhead, Lieut.-Col. Edwin Cruttenden. Of an old Norfolk family, he was born in 1784. He received a commission in the Royal Artillery in 1804, was stationed ten years in the Mauritius, and in 1814 was engaged in the capture of Oswego, North America. He was appointed lieutenant-colonel in 1841. </p><p class="dateofstory">September 20<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, an address was ordered to be presented to the Bishop of Norwich on his appointment to the diocese. The presentation took place at the Palace, on October 4th. </p><p class="dateofstory">September 28<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died at his residence, James Street, Buckingham Gate, London, Mr. Thomas Amyot, F.R.S., F.S.A., in his 76th year. He was the eldest son of Mr. Peter Amyot, of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, and was articled to Messrs. Foster and Unthank, solicitors, of that city. On the accession to power, in 1806, of the Fox and Granville parties, the Right Hon. William Windham, Secretary for the Department of War and the Colonies, appointed Mr. Amyot his private secretary. On the dissolution of that short-lived Administration, he received a lucrative Colonial appointment as Registrar of Slaves in the British West India possessions, a position which he continued to hold until his functions gradually ceased on the passing of the Slavery Abolition Act. Mr. Amyot was interested in literary pursuits and archological research. He married Jane, only daughter of Mr. Edward Colman, surgeon, of Norwich, by whom he had two sons and six daughters. </p><p class="dateofstory">October 23<span class="th">rd</span> 1850</p><p class="story">A fine schooner was launched from Mr. T. Tyrrell s shipyard at Wells-next-the-Sea. </p><p class="dateofstory">October 24<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story"> The Times was shamefully hoaxed on this date. A letter had been sent to the editor, with the intimation that a Protectionist meeting was to be held at Lynn, to be addressed by the Hon. E. H. Stanley, M.P., Mr. D Israeli, and other gentlemen.  The Times sent its representatives, who found that no such meeting had been announced or even contemplated. </p><p class="dateofstory">October 27<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Died at Blickling Hall, the Dowager Lady Suffield.  She was born in the year 1767, her early life being passed during one of the most eventful periods, both socially and politically, which have marked our history. Her father was John Hobart, second Earl of Buckinghamshire, who had been Ambassador at St. Petersburg, and was afterwards Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. In 1792 she married William Assheton, second Lord Suffield, and in 1744 her youngest sister, Amelia Ann, was married to Lord Castlereagh.  In consequence of this union her connection with the political world was maintained even more intimately than before. Throughout her life she continued to take a lively interest in the politics of the county, and the influence of the united houses of Gunton and Blickling in the days of contested elections was not lightly esteemed by conflicting parties. In 1821 she became a widow, and thenceforth devoted herself to charitable works. The family estates descended to the Marquis of Lothian, her grand-nephew. </p><p class="dateofstory">November 2<span class="th">nd</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The announcement was made of the engagement of Mr. and Mrs. F. Phillips as members of the Norwich Company, under the management of Mr. Joseph Clarence. Mrs. Phillips, who was professionally known as Miss Ellen Daly, had acquired Metropolitan celebrity, and  was equally at home in serious work, in domestic comedy, and in fashionable life. </p><p class="dateofstory">November 8<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The ceremony of turning the first sod of the great undertaking known as the Norfolk Estuary Works was performed at Lynn by Sir William ffolkes. The Earl of Hardwick, the Earl of Leicester, Mr. R. G. Tounley, M.P., and Miss Wodehouse each deposited a spadeful of earth upon a barrow, which was wheeled away by the Mayor. It was estimated that 150,000 acres of land would be reclaimed from the sea by the completion of the work. </p><p class="dateofstory">November 9<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Mr. Henry Woodcock was re-elected Mayor of Norwich. Mr. Edward Blakely was appointed Sheriff. </p><p class="dateofstory">November 11<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">The Norwich Protestant Association held a meeting at St. Andrew s Hall, and adopted an address to the Queen  on the recent invasion of her Majesty s prerogative by the Pope. On December 7th the clergy of the diocese presented to the Bishop an address upon the same subject; and on December 14th the High Sheriff (Mr. E. R. Pratt) presided over a county meeting at the Shirehall, when resolutions condemnatory of the action of the Pope were adopted, and an address voted to the Queen. Many meetings were held in all parts of the county, and for some weeks  Papal aggression was made a popular cry. </p><p class="dateofstory">December 1850</p><p class="story">This Web site includes information about Project Gutenberg-tm, including how to make donations to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation, how to help produce our new eBooks, and how to subscribe to our email newsletter to hear about new eBooks. </p><p class="dateofstory">December 21<span class="th">st</span> 1850</p><p class="story"> Baron Rolfe has been raised to the peerage, by the dignity of Baron Cranworth, of Cranworth, in the county of Norfolk. </p><p class="dateofstory">December 26<span class="th">th</span> 1850</p><p class="story">Mr. J. Clarence produced a pantomime at Norwich Theatre (title not given). Of the scenery and dresses it was said,  We never saw anything, even in the Metropolis, more superb and more beautiful. </p> </html> </body>