January 9th 1844
A meeting was held at Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. T. Brightwell, at which it was resolved to raise a subscription to pay the legal expenses of Mr. John Francis and of four other recusants, proceeded against in the Court of Arches for failing to make a rate for repairing the parish church of St. George Colegate. When the case was heard in the Arches Court, counsel for Mr. Francis protested that upon the face of the citation it did not appear that he had been guilty of any ecclesiastical offence cognisable by the Court, neither did it appear that the parish church was in need of repair. These arguments were overruled by the Court, whereupon Mr. Francis took the case to the Court of Queen’s Bench, and on May 9th Mr. Justice Denman delivered judgment in favour of the appellant, on the ground that the citation was bad, because of there being no adequate allegation of any spiritual offence.
January 13th 1844
Mr. H. J. Wallack, of Drury Lane Theatre, formerly a member of the Norwich circuit, and Mrs. Wallack, commenced an operatic engagement at Norwich Theatre, in the “Barber of Seville.”
February 3rd 1844
In the Court of Exchequer, before Lord Abinger and a special jury, an information was heard against three persons named Phillips, of Swanton Abbot, for the recovery of penalties for a violation of the Excise laws by means of illicit distillation. The jury returned a verdict of guilty. It was stated that defendants had rendered themselves liable to penalties amounting to £12,000, but the Crown would be satisfied with a verdict for one penalty of £200, which, trebled, amounted to £600. Judgment was then entered for the last-named sum.
February 3rd 1844
Permission was given by the authorities of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for the formation of a hospital museum, on the understanding that there should be no alienation of the funds of the institution. On October 19th it was reported to the Governors that the museum had been completed, and an inscription on vellum was voted to Mr. William Dalrymple, in grateful acknowledgment of his donation of his entire collection in anatomy and pathology, and to Mr. J. G. Crosse for his valuable contributions. (_See_ September 10th, 1845.)
February 7th 1844
John Franklin, “known by the name of Bill Downey, the celebrated Southtown pedestrian,” for a wager of £10 walked from the Duke’s Head Inn, the Quay, Yarmouth, to the Shirehall, Norwich, and back, in eleven and a half hours.
February 8th 1844
A meeting was held at North Walsham, for the purpose of forming a Protection Association against the attacks of the Anti-Corn Law League. Similar associations were formed in other parts of the county, and about fifty petitions were sent to Parliament, praying that no alteration be made in the state of the law.
February 10th 1844
“A society for insurance against damages by hail has been established in Norwich, an influential body of gentlemen having accepted the office of directors, and numerous parties have intimated their intention to take advantage of this institution.”
February 13th 1844
A new historical play, entitled, “Zopyrus, the Hero of Persia,” by Mr. William Cooper, barrister, of Norwich, was produced for the first time at Norwich, Theatre.
February 15th 1844
A singular person, named Jemima Cock, died at Long Stratton. “She was 78 years of age, and was known for many years as a letter-carrier of the Post Office, and although no scholar, was never known to make a mistake in that department. She once travelled the country as a seller of rakes and other implements. She wore top boots, kindly given to her by gentlemen of the village, and dressed her head with a hat like Mrs. Twankey’s in the play of the ‘Ladies’ Club,’ and long before, and at the time of her demise was, by order of the parish, made governess of the clink. She leaves no relative or friend to mourn her loss, save one, and those placed under her kind attention in prison-like confinement, and the poor weary barefooted traveller who wandered thither for shelter (and repose) from the fury of the pelting storm.”
February 20th 1844
It was announced in the “London Gazette” that Sir E. L. Bulwer, Bart., in compliance with a direction contained in the will of his late mother, Elizabeth Barbara Bulwer Lytton, of Knebworth, would thereafter use the surname of Lytton in addition to and after that of Bulwer, and also bear the arms of Lytton quarterly in the first quarter with his own family arms.
February 26th 1844
An information was laid before the Docking magistrates by Robert Bullock, a common informer, against Mr. William Shearman, of Burnham, under 52 Geo. III., cap. 93, for having, on November 17th, 1843, “assisted Mr. Charles Edward Overman and 20 other persons in the taking of a hare by means of two greyhounds, the said act of assisting not being done in the company or presence and for the use of any person who had then duly obtained a certificate in his own right and who then and there used his own dogs for the taking of the said hare,” whereby he rendered himself liable to a penalty of £20. Evidence was adduced showing that the dogs which ran at the West Burnham Coursing Meeting, where the alleged offence took place, belonged to qualified persons. The Bench recorded a conviction, against which the defendant appealed, at the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, held at Norwich on March 13th. The Court quashed the conviction. Twenty other cases depended upon the result of this appeal.
February 26th 1844
Died in London, aged 73, Mr. John Wright. He was a native of Norwich, and going early in life to the Metropolis, where he had the superintendence of Hookham’s Reading Rooms, in Old Bond Street, he became acquainted with many of the leading political and literary characters of the day, by whose support he entered into business as a publisher, in Piccadilly. He was the particular friend of Gifford, the poet, and the _rencontre_ between that individual and Peter Pindar took place at Wright’s house. He was afterwards connected with Cobbett in the publication of the “Weekly Register,” but this terminated in a lawsuit, in which the latter gained little credit. Literary pursuits of various kinds occupied Mr. Wright’s attention for the remainder of his life, and his assistance was much sought after by publishers and others, in affording which and in attendance at the House of Commons he generally spent his time. He was supposed to have had the superintendence and correction of “Hansard’s Debates.”
February 28th 1844
Died at Ingolville, near Havre, Mr. John Morse, formerly of Sprowston. He was a magistrate and deputy lieutenant of the county, and served the office of High Sheriff in 1807. His remains were interred at Sprowston, on March 12th.
March 5th 1844
The Norwich Court of Guardians passed a series of resolutions on the new Poor Law Amendment Bill, expressing regret that the measure contained a clause extending the powers of the Poor Law Commissioners to places hitherto governed by local Acts of Parliament, and thereby to a considerable extent repealed those Acts.
March 9th 1844
“A very fine specimen of the osprey or sea eagle, in full plumage, measuring 7 ft. 5 in. from tip to tip of the wings, was lately shot at Westwick by one of the gamekeepers of Mr. J. Petre.”
March 16th 1844
“Ministers connected with the party which seceded last May from the Scotch Church have visited Norwich this week, for the purpose of detailing their version of the differences between them and the Presbyterian Establishment and of raising ‘siller’ to enable them to carry on their system.”
March 25th 1844
Lord Chief Baron Abinger and Mr. Justice Patteson, Judges of Assize, arrived at Norwich. Lord Abinger, on the 30th, received a deputation of the principal merchants of the city, who represented to him the unfairness and expense attending the mode of conducting bankruptcy proceedings. On April 1st his lordship was taken suddenly ill at Bury St. Edmund’s, the next town on the Assize circuit, and on April 7th he died. His lordship’s political connection with Norwich commenced in 1832. As Sir James Scarlett he was returned with Lord Stormont in 1833 a member for the city, and on December 15th received the honorary freedom. When Sir Robert Peel was unexpectedly called upon to form a Conservative ministry, the office of Chief Baron was conferred upon Sir James Scarlett, who was called to the House of Lords by the title of Baron Abinger, of Abinger, in the county of Surrey, and of the city of Norwich.
March 30th 1844
Died, aged 81, at Wymondham, Mr. John Cullyer. “He was an excellent arithmetician, and the author of a scientific work entitled, ‘The Gentleman’s and Farmer’s Assistant,’ containing tables for the measurement of land, &c.”
April 4th 1844
Hales, the Norfolk giant, was exhibited at Tombland Fair. He was 8 ft. in height, and weighed 33 stones.
April 8th 1844
Mrs. Yates and Mr. O. Smith appeared at Norwich Theatre in the “Christmas Carol,” produced under the superintendence of its adaptor, Mr. Edward Stirling, stage manager of the Adelphi Theatre. Mrs. Yates was a granddaughter of Mr. Brunton, many years manager of the Norwich circuit.
April 11th 1844
The Norwich Town Council completed the arrangements respecting the purchase by the Corporation of the Foundry Bridge tolls, and empowered the City Committee to negotiate for the borrowing of £8,000 for the purpose. The new iron bridge which replaced the old wooden structure was opened for traffic on June 29th. It was erected by Messrs. Bradley and Co., of Wakefield, from designs by Mr. C. D. Atkinson, of the same town, at the cost of £800.
April 12th 1844
Major-General Pasley, Government Inspector, accompanied by the Lord Bishop of Norwich, and several of the directors, proceeded in “a train of carriages” from the Norwich terminus to Yarmouth by the new Yarmouth and Norwich Railway. This was the first train that ran out of the city, and its departure was witnessed by thousands of the inhabitants. (_See_ April 30.)
April 20th 1844
The Scots Greys, during the week ending this date, marched from the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, _en route_ to Edinburgh.
April 20th 1844
“The parish clerk of St. Peter’s, Terrington, has caused his coffin and gravestone to be prepared, although in excellent health. The former he keeps in his sleeping room, and uses as a wardrobe, and the latter stands in the church, ready to be put down when required. The stone contains the following:— “This aged clerk, long ere he died, His coffin had and placed by his bedside; His neighbours all well know the truth is spoke— ’Twas made of Mr. John Perry’s best oak; His old friend Death just touch’d him with his spear And in pure kindness laid him quietly here. “The upper part of the stone contains the name, with blanks for cutting age, &c., when the time of his dissolution shall take place.”
April 24th 1844
Died at Boyland Hall, aged 66, the Hon. Frederick Paul Irby, C.B., Rear-Admiral of the White. He was born April 18th, 1779, and was second son of the second Baron Boston. He entered the Navy in 1791, was present in Lord Howe’s action on June 1st, 1793, at Camperdown under Lord Duncan, and afterwards saw much active service. He was severely wounded in an action fought with a French frigate off the Isle of Los, on the coast of Guinea.
April 24th 1844
Died in Julian Place, Norwich, aged 38, Mr. Thomas Wiggins. “He had been proprietor of and a celebrated whip on the Phenomena coach from Norwich to London for several years, and was much respected by all for his skill as a coachman.”
April 30th 1844
The Yarmouth and Norwich Railway was formally opened on this date. The county was indebted to Mr. R. Stephenson, the celebrated engineer and “father of railways,” for the introduction of the line. He and his friends, supported to a limited extent only by residents in Norwich and Yarmouth, contemplated it as the commencement of a grand line from the east to the west of England, in connection with other systems extending north and south. The prospectus was issued on January 15th, 1842; the Act of Parliament obtained June 18th, 1842; and the first meeting of proprietors held at the Victoria Hotel, Yarmouth, on August 5th, 1842. The total cost of the undertaking was estimated at £200,000. The first half-yearly meeting of shareholders was held at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, on February 26th, 1843. Messrs. Grissell and Peto constructed the line, at the cost of £10,000 per mile. The rolling stock of the company consisted of five locomotives and a number of passenger carriages, supplied by Mr. Wright, of London. “The third class are six-wheeled carriages, open, and at present without seats. We trust they will not long continue so; the inconvenience of standing, especially to females, during a journey in cold weather, will be very great.” Thousands of persons assembled at Thorpe Station to witness the departure of the first train at 10.30, hundreds thronged the line at various points, and a great crowd gathered at Yarmouth to see the arrival. Howlett’s brass band occupied a third-class carriage next the engine, and the other carriages were reserved for 200 guests, specially invited by the directors. The train started amid loud cheers, and accomplished the journey in 50½ minutes; the return trip was done in 44 minutes. At four o’clock a dinner was held at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. S. M. Peto, supported right and left by the Mayors of Norwich and Yarmouth. The railway was opened for public traffic on May 1st, when 1,015 passengers were booked.
May 4th 1844
“Last week 100 stand of arms were received at our barracks for the Norwich Enrolled Pensioners. The dress consists of a peaked, glazed cap, with scarlet band and star in front, a blue frock coat, similar to those worn by the French infantry, with scarlet epaulettes edged with brass, and dark mixture trousers with broad red stripes. Sergeants will be each armed with a light carbine and cutlass. The whole will be called out occasionally for exercise and drill.”
May 6th 1844
A troop of the 4th Light Dragoons arrived at Norwich.
May 6th 1844
The Bishop of Norwich confirmed 1,277 persons at the Cathedral.
May 18th 1844
The Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry commenced eight days’ permanent duty at Holt.
May 20th 1844
Mr. Govett, formerly assistant minister at St. Stephen’s church, Norwich, “whose eccentricities were often the cause of great pain to many members of the congregation,” was baptised at Mr. Brock’s chapel, “with six young ladies whom he had persuaded unhappily to follow his errors.”
June 1st 1844
The season terminated at Norwich Theatre. The manager (Mr. G. Smith) said, in the course of his customary address: “Having been for nearly 30 years a member of the company, I am most reluctantly compelled to chronicle the one now closing as the very worst season within my recollection.”
June 19th 1844
Died at Knapton, aged 59, Mr. Jeffreson Mills, Commander R.N. He served from 1799 until the Peace in 1815. “During his career he assisted at the capture of 26 line of battleships, 18 frigates, and 21 sloops of war and privateers. He was the author of a masterly vindication of Lord Nelson’s proceedings in the Bay of Naples.”
June 22nd 1844
“The fatal ball by which Nelson received his death wound, and which was in the possession of the late Sir W. Beatty, M.D., R.N., at his death came into possession of Col. Beatty, R.M., and his brother, Mr. Vincent Beatty, _ci-devant_ captain of the late 24th Light Dragoons, by whom it has been presented to her Majesty, and most graciously received. The ball, with the particles of the coat and epaulette which were forced into the body, is neatly and elegantly set within a crystal case, which is appropriately mounted with a double cable coiled around its circumference. It opens like a watch.”
June 24th 1844
Madame Vestris and Mr. Charles Mathews commenced a short engagement at Norwich Theatre, in “Patter _versus_ Clatter,” “Loan of a Lover,” “Grist to the Mill,” and “Follies of a Night.”
July 13th 1844
At Marsham, near Aylsham, were rung 10,080 changes of Oxford treble bob major, “the longest peal on eight bells ever completed in this county.” It was composed by Eversfield, of London, and rung in 5 hours 44 minutes.
July 22nd 1844
Died at Longford Hall, Derbyshire, whither she had retired for her accouchement, Anne Amelia Dowager Countess of Leicester, wife of the Right Hon. Ed. Ellice, M.P. for Coventry. The third daughter of the Earl and Countess of Albemarle, and born on June 16th, 1803, she married, on February 26th, 1822, Mr. Thomas William Coke, of Holkham, who was created Earl of Leicester in 1837, and died in 1842. Her ladyship married Mr. Ellice on October 25th, 1843.
July 25th 1844
A cricket match, Marylebone Club and Ground against Norfolk with Fuller Pilch, commenced at Lord’s. Norfolk, 60-111; Marylebone, 79-71. The return match commenced at Swaffham on Sept. 5th. Marylebone, 19-32; Norfolk, 45-6.
July 29th 1844
The celebrated dwarf, Tom Thumb (Charles Stratton), made his first appearance in Norwich at the Theatre Royal, where he was introduced by Mr. Barnum, the equally famous showman.
July 30th 1844
Mr. Justice Williams, in charging the Grand Jury at the Norfolk Assizes, dwelt upon the alarming increase of incendiarism.
August 1st 1844
Madame Céleste and Mr. Webster commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. One of the features of the entertainment was the dancing of “le Polka.” This dance, which was introduced for the first time in Norwich, was described as “a mixture of the waltz and the cracovienne, and extremely pretty when danced well.” All the local dancing masters advertised it, and it gave fresh life and animation to the ball rooms. “Nothing was more wearisome,” it was said, “than the eternal first set of quadrilles, and comparatively few joined in the waltz; in the polka we have a dance full of life, elegant in its figures, and with the additional charm of being accompanied by music of the most attractive character.” At the Norwich Sessions Ball, on Sept. 16th, it was a great attraction; Mr. Frank Noverre gave a “polka ball” at the Assembly Rooms on December 2nd; and at Miss Bidwell’s ball, at the same place, on December 5th, “these ladies danced the polka in character, giving a good delineation of Madame Céleste and Mr. Webster.”
August 1st 1844
A sculling match took place between Messrs. Corby and Wigham, from the New Cut, Whitlingham, to Mutford Lock and back, a distance of 60 miles, for £25 a side. Corby, the winner, rowed the distance in 10 hrs. 21 mins., the whole of the return journey being against a strong wind and tide. Wigham gave up at Buckenham.
August 2nd 1844
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Williams, William Frost, aged 35, was indicted for having, on April 8th, at Whitwell, murdered his four children, whose ages ranged from five years to ten weeks, by striking them on the head with a hammer. Mr. W. P. Nichols, Mr. G. W. W. Firth, and Mr. Crosse testified to the insanity of the prisoner, against whom a verdict of not guilty was returned, and he was ordered to be confined in the Criminal Lunatic Asylum, St. George’s Fields, London.
August 3rd 1844
“About 60 cwt. of tea and coffee have been brought to Norwich by the Yarmouth and Norwich Railway Company, for Messrs. Wolton and Co., of London Street. We should not be surprised if that practice become more general in busy weeks, particularly when the wind is contrary for the favourable transit of the wherries.”
August 3rd 1844
At the Norfolk and Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Alderson, the action, Cory _v._ the Yarmouth and Norwich Railway Company, was heard. It was an action sent down from the Vice-Chancellor’s Court, in which the plaintiff sought to restrain the defendants from carrying passengers from their railway terminus across the Bure or Yare to Great Yarmouth, on the ground that the right of the plaintiff as proprietor of the ancient ferry and of the suspension bridge which supplied its place, was thereby infringed. At the suggestion of the Judge, an agreement was arrived at between the parties. (_See_ May 2nd, 1845.)
August 7th 1844
Intelligence was received at Norwich of the birth of a Prince (Prince Alfred Ernest Albert, Duke of Edinburgh). The bells of St. Peter Mancroft were rung, and the Town Council in due course sent to the Queen a congratulatory address.
August 9th 1844
Great festivities took place at Ellingham, near Bungay, in celebration of the return of Col. Smith from active service in India.
August 12th 1844
The opera of “The Bohemian Girl” was performed at Norwich Theatre for the first time. The principals included Miss Rainforth, Mr. Harrison, and Mr. Stretton, of Drury Lane Theatre; Mr. Gilbeigh, Mr. Duval, &c. The numerical strength of the orchestra was more than trebled by the services rendered by professional and amateur instrumentalists of the city. The conductor was Mr. C. F. Hall, one of the leaders of the Drury Lane orchestra “Norma” was also produced. The week’s performances received very inadequate support.
August 19th 1844
Killed at Sekerran, Borneo, aged 39, George Steward, youngest son of Mr. Timothy Steward, of Great Yarmouth. He was in the East India Company’s service, and volunteered to accompany Capt. Keppel, R.N., in his expedition against the pirates of Borneo. While ascending a river in a native boat he was surrounded by the enemy and slain.
August 19th 1844
Died at Bracondale, Norwich, aged 78, Mr. Roger Kitson, a schoolmaster, who sixty years previously succeeded Mr. Massingham at the then well-known academy in St. Andrew’s Broad Street. He had a talent for poetical composition, and belonged to the Confraternity of United Friars and other literary societies.
August 21st 1844
The Norwich Mechanics’ Institute was dissolved. On October 27th its surplus funds, amounting to £120, were handed over to a new society, known as the Athenæum, in which the Rev. A. Bath Power, Mr. J. J. Gurney, and other gentlemen were interested. The society met at rooms in the Market Place.
August 24th 1844
“The operation of Lord Brougham’s Act, for the abolition of imprisonment for debt, has had the effect of clearing the Norwich Gaol of all the debtors except one. Its operation will be very disadvantageous to the prisoners sentenced by the Court of Conscience or Requests, as they had laid a part of their time, and a very few days more would have exempted them from future liability, whereas now they go out subject to other proceedings and executions against their goods.”
August 28th 1844
A shocking accident occurred at Dereham Theatre, to Mr. Dillon, one of the performers. He had just dressed for his part, and approaching too near to a lighted candle, the inflammable material which he wore immediately caught fire, and he was enveloped in flames. He ran about the stage in terror, and some of the audience, rushing forward, endeavoured to extinguish the fire, but they did not succeed until he had been seriously injured.
August 31st 1844
Among Norwich improvements completed during the preceding twelve months were mentioned at this date the building of Victoria Street, the erection of new houses in place of old and unsightly ones near St. Giles’ Gates, and the widening of the street in that locality; the reconstruction of the Wensum Street and Tombland Corner; and the construction of the embankment between Foundry Bridge and Carrow Bridge.
September 9th 1844
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kean appeared in “Hamlet” at Norwich Theatre, and on succeeding evenings played in “The Gamester,” “Macbeth,” “The Lady of Lyons,” “Richard the Third,” and “The Stranger.”
September 9th 1844
The Royal squadron escorting the Queen on her voyage to Scotland was off the Norfolk coast from 7 a.m. to 12 noon. The coastguard fired rockets at various points, which were answered from the Royal yacht.
September 11th 1844
Died at Cheltenham, the Ven. Henry Bathurst, Archdeacon of Norwich and rector of North Creake.
September 12th 1844
The organ at St. Nicholas’ church, Great Yarmouth, was reopened after renovation. The instrument was built in the 18th century, by Abraham Jordan, and repaired in 1812 by G. P. England. It was finally repaired by Messrs. Grey and Davison, of Gray’s Inn Road, London.
September 19th 1844
At a meeting of the members of the medical profession in Norwich, held at the Guildhall, under the presidency of Mr. J. G. Crosse, approval was expressed of the registration clauses in Sir James Graham’s Bill for the better regulation of medical practice in the United Kingdom.
September 26th 1844
The new chapel, dedicated to St. Edmund, at Walpole St. Peter, was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich.
September 26th 1844
A meeting was held at the King’s Arms Hotel, East Dereham, in furtherance of a scheme for constructing a railway from Wymondham to that town, with extensions to Lynn and Downham. Lord Sondes, on October 7th, presided over a meeting at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which the undertaking was approved. It was estimated to cost £10,000 per mile. (_See_ December 7th, 1846.)
October 10th 1844
Died at Norwich, Mr. Thomas Turner, “a well-known amateur on the river.” “Agreeable to the wishes expressed by the deceased, he was conveyed from Carrow to Thorpe on board a sailing-boat, from which he was carried on the shoulders of six boating men in blue jackets and white trousers to his last resting-place in Thorpe churchyard.”
October 16th 1844
Van Amburgh’s Circus and Menagerie were exhibited in a large marquee erected in Chapel Field, Norwich.
October 17th 1844
Dereham and Swaffham Theatres were advertised to be sold by auction, “under the will of the late Mr. David Fisher.” After this date there are no further records of the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians, so long under the management of the Fisher family.
October 17th 1844
Mr. Rush, “a respectable farmer,” of Hevingham, was accidentally killed by the discharge of a gun “left in the kitchen of his house by his son, James Blomfield Rush, auctioneer and farmer, of Wymondham.”
October 18th 1844
M. Jullien gave the first of three concerts at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
October 26th 1844
In the Arches Court, the Rev. William Henry Henslowe, perpetual curate of Wormegay, was suspended from the ministry for three months, for refusing on two occasions to bury the corpse of Sarah Bowden, a parishioner who had been baptised by a minister of the Primitive Methodist persuasion. The case was brought before the Court by letters of request from the Bishop of Norwich.
November 9th 1844
Sir William Foster, Bart., was elected Mayor, and Mr. John Betts appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 24th 1844
Died at his residence, St. Catherine’s Cottage, St. John de Sepulchre, Norwich, aged 73, Mr. Jonathan Matchett, senior proprietor of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE. He had been connected with the journal for 51 years, and became its head on the decease of his father-in-law, Mr. Stevenson, in 1821.
November 27th 1844
Died at his house at Costessey, aged 69, Mr. Richard Mackenzie Bacon, principal proprietor and editor of the “Norwich Mercury.” Mr. Bacon was the editor also of “The Quarterly Musical Magazine and Review.”
November 28th 1844
Mr. Tom Cross, the celebrated “gentleman whip,” driver of the Lynn and London coach, delivered at the Assembly Rooms, Lynn, a lecture on Shakespeare.
December 3rd 1844
Died at Swaffham Vicarage, aged 92, the Rev. William Yonge, vicar of the parish and Chancellor of the Diocese.
December 5th 1844
Mr. Edward Stracey, of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, the respondent in a suit respecting the tenancy of a pew in the parish church, was taken into custody and lodged in the City Gaol by a process of the Norwich Ecclesiastical Court, because of his refusal to pay the costs imposed by the Court.
December 14th 1844
“The winter has set in most severely, with an intense ground frost and the wind in the east. The navigation of the river between Norwich and Yarmouth and from that port to Beccles, Bungay, and Aylsham, has been stopped by ice, but not a particle of snow has fallen.”