January 2nd 1843
Norwich Theatre opened for the season at reduced prices of admission, namely, boxes, single ticket, 4s., half price 2s., family tickets to admit six £1; upper boxes 2s., half price 1s.; pit 1s. (no half price); gallery 6d. The entire house had been redecorated by Mr. Thorne. Mr. Frederick Vining, of the Haymarket Theatre, London, and his daughter, Miss Vining, appeared on the 16th in the parts of Benedict and Beatrice, and fulfilled an engagement of seven weeks. The season, one of the most successful that Mr. Smith had experienced, was chiefly remarkable for the large number of “bespeaks” given, amongst others, by the officers of the 13th Light Dragoons, the Royal and Norfolk Hotel Wine Clubs, the Governor and Deputy-Governor of the Court of Guardians, &c.
January 5th 1843
A heavy fall of snow on this day was accompanied by lightning and thunder.
January 6th 1843
The first annual meeting of the Norfolk Flax Society, the object of which was “to promote the cultivation of a plant for the produce of which vast sums of money are annually sent abroad,” was held at Norwich. It was stated that the soil and climate of the county were “equal and perhaps superior to any in the world for the growth and perfection of the plant, and its cultivation would be more profitable than that of any other crop.” The method of “forming linseed into compound to fatten cattle” was demonstrated in a booth on the Castle Meadow, and an exhibition of articles manufactured from flax was held at St. Andrew’s Hall. The Hon. W. R Rous was President of the Society, to which about eighty prominent agriculturists belonged. M. Demann, a Belgian agriculturist, was engaged as the Society’s agent, and many meetings were held in the county in furtherance of the movement.
January 7th 1843
The promoters of the scheme for the erection of the Leicester monument appointed a “committee of taste,” who recommended the building of a column, of artistic design. At a meeting held at the Norfolk Hotel, on January 21st, the much vexed question of the site was discussed and a decision was given in favour of Holkham Park, mainly by the votes of a number of subscribers of ten shillings each in the neighbourhood of Wells. Efforts were made to secure the erection of the monument at Norwich, and the supporters of either place were invited to vote upon the subject. After the poll a scrutiny was held, and on August 5th it was announced that 322 votes had been given in favour of Holkham, and 281 in favour of Norwich.
January 9th 1843
Died, aged 60, at Birmingham, Mr. Vaughan, “the highly respectable musician and once excellent tenor singer.” He was a native of Norwich, and when quite young was a member of the choir of St. George’s Chapel, Windsor. He was afterwards engaged at Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and the Chapel Royal. On the death of Mr. Harrison, in 1812, Mr. Vaughan was appointed principal tenor at the King’s Concerts of Ancient Music, he sang at most of the provincial musical festivals, and was a member of several musical clubs in the Metropolis.
February 14th 1843
The first touring circus in Norfolk at which performances were given under canvas was that belonging to Batty, “sole proprietor of Astley’s Royal Amphitheatre,” who on this date erected at Lynn Mart a tent 65 ft. in height and 300 ft. in circumference. It was the same tent placed on the site of the Royal Exchange when Prince Albert laid the first stone of the new building, and on that occasion it afforded accommodation for 1,400 persons. In the autumn of the same year Richard Sands’ American circus toured the county, giving one performance only in a “spacious pavilion” at each town visited. A procession of “twenty-five caparisoned horses” was a feature of the show. After this date the circus touring system became general during the summer and autumn months.
February 22nd 1843
Died at Caen, Normandy, aged 76, the Rev. T. D’Eterville, “a well-known and respected inhabitant of Norwich for upwards of forty years, who retired a few months ago to end his days in his native country.” [Borrow’s “preceptor in the French and Italian tongues.”]
February 23rd 1843
The coach from London to Norwich, driven by Thomas Wiggins, ran into a brewer’s dray at Tasburgh, during a thick fog and was overturned. Mr. Scott, of Newton Maid’s Head, one of the outside passengers, was jammed between the coach and a tree, which had to be cut down to extricate him, Wiggins was thrown head first off the box seat and severely injured, and the guard, Thomas, was dashed against a tree stump and killed outright, “his head being completely split open.” It was not until January 22nd, 1844, that Wiggins was able to resume his duties. It was then stated: “So highly is this excellent whip esteemed along the line of road, that at the several inns where the coach stopped to change horses it appeared as if the landlords had determined to celebrate the circumstance by making it a general gala day.”
February 26th 1843
Died at Cheltenham, aged 60, Major-General Sir John Thomas Jones, Bart., K.C.B., of Cranmer Hall. He served in the Royal Engineers during the campaign in Calabria, and was present at the Battle of Maida and the attack on Scylla Castle; in the Peninsular campaign he was in the retreat to Corunna; he accompanied the expedition to Walcheren and was present at the reduction of Flushing, served in the campaigns of 1810, 1811, and 1812 in the Peninsula, received the medal for Badajos, and was shot through the ankle joint at the siege of Burgos, in October, 1812. He entered the service as second-lieutenant on August 30th, 1798, and retired with the rank of major-general on January 10th, 1837.
February 27th 1843
Yarmouth Orange Fair was held. “Like the generality of fairs, it has fallen sadly out of repute, and but for the immense quantity of fruit from which it takes its name anyone might have passed the Market Place without noticing it.”
March 17th 1843
At a special meeting of the Norwich Town Council, on the motion of Mr. A. Dalrymple, a petition to Parliament was adopted in opposition to the Income Tax, on the ground that it was “unjust, unwise, repugnant, and unproductive.”
March 18th 1843
The Watton coach, on its way from Norwich, with six female outside passengers, stopped at Barford Cock. During the temporary absence of Allen, the coachman, the horses started off at full gallop, and were not stopped till they arrived at Hingham. With the exception of a wheel being taken off a passing vehicle, no damage was done.
April 4th 1843
At the Norwich Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Tindal, was tried the case, the Queen against Edward Painter. The prosecution, for assault, was instituted by Mr. Jeremiah Cross, corn merchant, of Norwich. An indictment had been preferred at the Norwich Quarter Sessions and a true bill returned, which the defendant removed by writ of _certiorari_, and the case now came on for trial on the civil side of the Court. The plaintiff, in June, 1842, was invited to the Rising Sun Inn, kept by Mr. John Abel, and he was there met by Painter, who for several minutes thrashed him with an ash stick so severely that for a considerable time afterwards plaintiff was under medical treatment. For the defence it was alleged that Cross had grossly insulted the defendant’s daughter, hence the thrashing. The jury found a verdict of guilty, and on May 10th, when defendant appeared before the Court of Queen’s Bench to receive judgment, he was fined one shilling and discharged. On June 24th the following advertisement was published: “Ned Painter having been subjected to the expense of wanton and persecuting litigation, his friends intend giving him a benefit at the Pantheon, Royal Victoria Gardens, on which occasion the Stars of the Fancy have resolved to rally round and support an old and tried veteran of the Prize Ring. Among the prominent professors of the Pugilistic Art who will appear are Tom Spring, Champion of England, and Ben Caunt, the modern champion.”
April 7th 1843
Great excitement was created in Norwich by the conviction at the Assizes before Mr. Justice Coleridge, of John Harper, a well-known auctioneer, on the charge of stealing cloth entrusted to him for sale at North Walsham by a Leeds manufacturer named Jonas Driver. Mr. S. Bignold, Mr. Beckwith, solicitor; Mr. T. M. Keith, solicitor; the Rev. S. Stone, the Rev. W. Hull, and other prominent citizens testified to the general honesty and integrity of the prisoner, who, amid a strong manifestation of feeling in Court, was sentenced to seven years’ transportation.
April 7th 1843
Mr. Cobden, M.P., Col. Thompson, and Mr. Moore, representatives of the Anti-Corn Law League, addressed a large meeting held at St. Andrew’s Hall, under the presidency of Mr. J. H. Tillett. A body of Chartists created some disorder. On the 8th a meeting of farmers “of the most complete party complexion” took place at the Hall, when Mr. A. Morse, of Swaffham, “author of one of the prize essays of the League,” presided, and addresses were delivered by Mr. Cobden and his friends. The League at this date was actively promulgating its principles in all parts of the county.
April 15th 1843
The ship Phya sailed from Lynn for Quebec, with emigrants. “Whilst the population keeps increasing, and machinery keeps lessening the demand for manual labour, many thousands must seek to provide for themselves and families in distant regions.”
April 20th 1843
The construction of the Yarmouth and Norwich Railway commenced on this date on the Postwick Hall Farm (in the occupation of Mr. Gillett), near Thorpe Asylum. The excavation of the New Cut from Trowse Hythe to Whitlingham Reach was begun on May 6th. In October an engine with ballast waggons was running between Reedham and Yarmouth; and in November another engine appeared on the Postwick end of the line. “Its marvellous facility in whirling along any number of loaded waggons elicited exclamations of astonishment from the many hundreds of Norwich people who went out to see it.” (_See_ April 12th, 1844.)
April 20th 1843
In the waistband of the trousers of a notorious housebreaker, named James Fisk, who was apprehended at Surlingham on this date, “was found sewed up the Lord’s Prayer, written backwards, which he carried about with him as a fancied protection against the power of human law.”
April 20th 1843
The marriage of the Earl of Leicester and Miss Whitbread, daughter of Mr. S. C. Whitbread, at Cardington church, Bedfordshire, was celebrated with great rejoicings at Wells-next-the-Sea, where 800 school children were entertained, and 1,400 of the poor inhabitants had dinner on the Buttlands.
April 21st 1843
At Norwich Theatre was performed a new drama, entitled, “Mokanna, or the Veiled Prophet of Khorassan,” written by Mr. William Cooper, barrister, and originally produced at Lynn Theatre. An anonymous handbill, printed by J. Fletcher, Upper Haymarket, Norwich, was afterwards circulated, describing the play as a “barefaced exhibition of profligacy,” and calling upon the citizens to denounce it. The strictures were grossly unfair.
April 25th 1843
The foundation-stone of St. Mark’s church, Lakenham, was laid by the Very Rev. Dean Pellew. The architect was Mr. John Brown, and the builder Mr. James Worman. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich on September 24th, 1844.
April 28th 1843
The two troops of the 13th Light Dragoons marched from Norwich Barracks for Hounslow. They were replaced on May 22nd by the Scots Greys, commanded by Col. Clarke. Mainly through the influence of the Duke of Wellington and the Marquis of Douro, the headquarters of the regiment were stationed at Norwich.
May 4th 1843
Business was entirely suspended in Norwich on the occasion of the funeral of H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex. The Corporation attended service at the Cathedral, and afterwards assembled at the Guildhall and adopted addresses of sympathy.
May 6th 1843
At the Norwich Police Court, a woman named Kedge complained to the magistrates that another woman, of the name of Clarke, had bewitched her “by sending her and her children a vast number of vermin.” Clarke replied that Mrs. Kedge had harboured her (Mrs. Clarke’s) husband, and had given her a small piece of paper, whereon was very small writing. It was found to be the Lord’s Prayer. Mrs. Kedge acknowledged having given this to Mrs. Clarke, and said it would “prevent her from doing her further injury, for when she had herself put it in defendant’s hands, all danger from witchery was over.”
May 13th 1843
“One day last week a steam coach, constructed on a new principle, was tried at Witton, on the Yarmouth road, before a large concourse of spectators, but although the steam was put on, the coach would not move an inch. When pushed it proceeded a short distance and stopped. The experimenters at last lifted the coach from the road, when the wheels went round with alarming velocity.” On May 27th the carriage was advertised for sale by private contract, by Mr. Joseph Emmerson Bane, at the King’s Head Inn, Blofield.
May 13th 1843
The Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry, commanded by Major Loftus, commenced their annual eight days’ training at Fakenham.
May 17th 1843
The inhabitants residing in the vicinity of Duke’s Palace Bridge memorialised the Norwich Town Council to take the necessary steps to free the bridge from toll.
May 18th 1843
Died at his residence in Union Street, South Lynn, Mr. Peter Lewis Dacheux, an immigrant from France, aged 83. “He had resided at Lynn for many years, and had long officiated as Roman Catholic priest in that town. He was a schoolfellow of Bonaparte, and in his boyish days had many a scuffle with that celebrated personage.”
May 23rd 1843
Mr. Braham, assisted by his son and pupil, Mr. Charles Braham, gave a concert at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
June 13th 1843
The Norwich Town Council decided, on the motion of Mr. Barwell, to memorialise the House of Commons in favour of Mr. Rowland Hill’s scheme of penny postage.
June 14th 1843
Norwich Theatre was re-opened for a limited number of nights at the close of the regular season, when “The Tempest” was produced from the original text, with Miss Grant as Ariel, and Miss Vining as Miranda. On the occasion of her benefit, on June 27th, Miss Grant took the part of Tom Tug, in “The Waterman.”
June 15th 1843
On opening the East of England Bank at Lynn, it was discovered that during the preceding night upwards of £4,000 had been stolen. A clerk, named William Henry Sangar, aged nineteen, had committed the theft, in the absence of Mr. Spiller, the manager, and had absconded. He was apprehended on July 3rd, at Pooley Bridge, Ullswater, with £4,300 in his possession. At Lynn Quarter Sessions, on July 17th, he was charged before the Recorder, Mr. Martin J. West, with stealing £4,362 1s. 6d., and, on pleading guilty, was sentenced to fourteen years’ transportation. The Recorder expressed the hope that he would not have to appear at the Assizes to answer the still more serious charge of forgery. He was, however, indicted at the Norfolk Assizes on August 3rd, on two counts, for forgery, and on pleading guilty was sentenced by Baron Alderson to transportation for life.
June 16th 1843
For nearly three hours “the sun was surrounded by a bright and beautiful halo, whilst several others appeared in its vicinity, intersecting the main one in several directions.” A similar appearance was observed in the summer of 1826.
July 1st 1843
The fares by the Royal Norwich mail from the Star, Haymarket, to the Belle Sauvage, Ludgate Hill, were reduced from this date to 16s. inside and 8s. outside.
July 4th 1843
Mr. Charles Gill and Miss Vining, two popular performers with the Norwich Company, eloped from the city. “The attachment between the parties has been of long standing, but it was opposed by the young lady’s friends, on account of the disparity of years.” Mr. and Mrs. Gill appeared at Yarmouth Theatre on September 8th.
July 4th 1843
Died at North Walsham, Captain Thomas Withers, R.N., aged 73. He entered the service in 1793, joined Nelson in the Agamemnon, which formed part of Lord Hood’s fleet at the occupation of Toulon, and took part in the reduction of Bastia and Calvi, and in the several actions in which the ship was engaged. In 1796 he joined the Captain, and in the following year, in the battle off Cape St. Vincent, had the distinguished honour of commanding the division which boarded the San Nicolas, and from that ship the San Josef. He was made lieutenant next day, and soon after appointed to the Terrible, under the command of Sir Richard Bickerton, and served during the expedition against the French in Egypt. In April, 1803, he was appointed to the command of the Expedition (44 guns), and was chiefly engaged in the Mediterranean until 1804. In 1805 he accepted employment under the Transport Board, and in 1809 received post rank.
July 8th 1843
A whirlwind occurred at Blakeney. In its course it carried away several yards of a wall two feet thick, took from some smacks the hatchings, which were blown upon the marshes, and blew a man off the seat of a threshing machine. The stable at the White Horse was unroofed, and a quantity of Mr. Temple’s hay was blown to the distance of a mile.
July 15th 1843
Arising out of an assault case, a curious story about witchcraft was told to the Norwich magistrates. Mr. and Mrs. Curtis alleged that a Mrs. Bell had bewitched them three days after Tombland Fair, and they had been bewitched ever since. “Mrs. Curtis saw Mrs. Bell light a candle and fill it with pins. She then put some red dragon’s blood, with some water, into an oyster-shell, and having repeated a form of words over it, her (Mr. Curtis’) husband’s arms and legs were set fast, and when he lay down he could not get up again without somebody helping him.” The man made a similar statement, and said that to the dragon’s blood and water Mrs. Bell added some parings of her own nails, put the mixture over the fire, and muttered an incantation.
July 19th 1843
A young man named Robert Smithson “wagered that he would run over the nine bridges in Norwich in twenty-five minutes.” He performed the distance, nearly four miles, in twenty-two minutes.
July 24th 1843
Died at Shotley Parsonage, Ipswich, aged 91, the Rev. Samuel Forster, D.D., formerly head-master of Norwich Free Grammar School. On resigning, in 1811, Dr. Forster became private tutor to the son of the Marquis of Bristol. Sir Edward Berry, Nelson’s flag captain at the Battle of the Nile, married the doctor’s eldest daughter.
July 29th 1843
“In the melancholy list of passengers on board the Pegasus, lost off the Fern Islands on July 19th, we are sorry to observe the name of Mr. Elton, for many years a favourite tragedian in the Norwich Company, and latterly holding a most respectable station on the London boards.”
July 29th 1843
The Assize week performances at Norwich Theatre opened with the appearance of Miss Montague, of Drury Lane, as Juliet. On July 31st Miss Clara Novello, Miss Sybella Novello, Mr. Manvers, and Mr. Stretton, of Drury Lane, performed in Belleni’s opera, “Norma,” and in “Acis and Galatea”; and on August 7th Madame Céleste and Mr. Webster commenced a four nights’ engagement in “St. Mary’s Eve,” “The Woman Hater,” and “The French Spy.”
August 6th 1843
Died at Gaywood, aged 70, Mr. Thomas Marsters, for many years the representative at Lynn of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE. “He was extensively read in the poets and classics, and his taste for the drama induced him, when he resided at Gaywood Hall, to become lessee of Lynn Theatre, on the boards of which he occasionally performed as an amateur.”
August 9th 1843
Norwich and many parts of the county were visited by one of the severest thunderstorms that had occurred for many years. It was accompanied by a hailstorm which did immense damage—in the city windows and conservatories were smashed, in the county garden and field crops were destroyed. The first floors and cellars in Surrey Street, St. Stephen’s Street, Rampant Horse Street, the Market Place, and London Street were flooded, and in places morsels of ice lay from four to five inches deep. The storm lasted half an hour. The performance at the Theatre was stopped, and the terrified audience in the gallery rushed down the stairs and found the passage filled with water, which prevented their escape. The river at Bishop Bridge rose one foot in five minutes. At two o’clock on the morning of the 10th, the rain and hail again descended with great violence, and “a surface of flame spread across the heavens, followed by a clap of thunder which seemed to rend the welkin.” Another storm occurred on the 15th, and on the 18th waterspouts were observed at Rushall and Dickleburgh. At a meeting at the Bishop’s Palace on the 19th, steps were taken for the relief of the sufferers, a public subscription organized, and surveyors appointed to assess the damage. In September the Committee reported that the total losses amounted to £30,770 2s. 3d. In some parishes a voluntary rate of threepence in the pound was paid to assist the relief fund. The contributions from the parishes amounted to £5,622, and individual subscriptions to £4,391.
August 16th 1843
The left wing of the Cavalry Barracks at Norwich was destroyed by a fire which originated in the forage barn. The men of the Scots Greys succeeded in saving the remainder of the buildings.
August 31st 1843
Died at Stisted Hall, Essex, aged 87, Mr. Charles Savill Onley, bencher of the Middle Temple. He was third son of Mr. Robert Harvey, merchant and banker, of Norwich, by Judith, daughter of Capt. Onley, R.N. Mr. Onley (then Mr. Charles Harvey) was called to the Bar on November 24th, 1790. In 1783 he was elected Steward, and in 1801 Recorder, of Norwich. In 1804 his portrait was painted by Lawrence, at the expense of the Corporation, and hung in St. Andrew’s Hall. In 1812 he was returned to Parliament, and at the dissolution in 1818 retired from the representation of the city, but sat for Carlow from 1820 to 1826. It was in December, 1822, that he took the name of Savill Onley, on the death of his maternal uncle, the Rev. Charles Onley, through whom he came to the possession of a fine estate in Essex, besides a large personal property. He resigned his Recordership in 1826. He was lieutenant-colonel of Col. Patteson’s battalion of Norwich Volunteers, enrolled in 1808 as a regiment of Local Militia. He married, first, Sarah, daughter of Mr. J. Haynes, by whom he had issue one son, Onley Savill Onley, who married his cousin Caroline, daughter of Mr. John Harvey, of Thorpe; and two daughters, Sarah, married to Mr. William Harvey, and Judith, to Mr. Charles Turner. Mrs. Harvey died in 1800, and he married, secondly, Charlotte, sister of his former wife.
September 7th 1843
Father Mathew attended a temperance festival at Norwich. He addressed a meeting on St. Martin-at-Palace Plain in the morning, and a public gathering at St. Andrew’s Hall in the evening, at which the Lord Bishop and Mr. J. J. Gurney were present. On the 8th Father Mathew, from twelve to six o’clock, “administered the pledge to all who cared to receive it.” The NORFOLK CHRONICLE observed: “We cannot but feel that the members of the Church of England are pledged to temperance already, and have therefore no necessity to repeat the pledge before a Romish priest.”
September 11th 1843
The Earl of Leicester laid the foundation-stone of the new quay at Wells-next-the-Sea.
September 16th 1843
A platform was erected on the summit of the spire of Norwich Cathedral by a party of Sappers and Miners, to support an observatory for the purpose of the trigonometrical survey then being made throughout the kingdom, by order of the Board of Ordnance.
September 23rd 1843
“Died, lately, aged 101, Mr. Robert Holmes, of St. Augustine’s, Norwich.”
September 27th 1843
Died at Ramsgate, Lieut.-General Beevor. He was the last surviving son of Mr. James Beevor, of Norwich. He served in Flanders in the campaigns of 1793–4–5; in 1801–2 he was actively employed in Egypt, and he took part in the protracted operations in the Peninsula and Portugal.
October 2nd 1843
Mrs. Fitzwilliam, of Covent Garden Theatre, commenced a six nights’ engagement at the Theatre Royal, Norwich. She was described as the first comic actress of the day and a most accomplished vocalist. On the 7th Mrs. Fitzwilliam was joined by Mr. Buckstone, of the Haymarket Theatre, with whom she appeared in “My Tender Charge” and “Foreign Airs and Native Graces.”
October 14th 1843
In a case before the county justices at the Shirehall, Norwich, in which the keeper of Hellesdon toll-bar was summoned for unlawfully taking toll in respect of a vehicle called a “wheel machine,” interesting particulars were given of the contrivance, which belonged to a Norwich mechanic named Matthew Fish. It was described as “only a barrow worked by the feet, and not propelled by machinery.” The carriage was shown outside the Court, and “appeared to be a very ingenious machine, which could be worked at the rate of ten miles an hour on a level road.” It had three wheels and two levers. Mr. Repton, the clerk to the turnpike trustees, urged that the narrow wheels cut up the road more than those of heavy carriages, and that _such contrivances for evading toll and the keeping of horses were increasing_. These carriages were considered a nuisance on the roads, no horses liked to pass them, and the Act laid a heavy toll upon them to prevent them running on any turnpike at all. The matter was ultimately settled without a conviction.
October 16th 1843
Carter, the “Lion King,” appeared at Norwich Theatre with his trained lions, &c., in a drama founded on the adventures of Mungo Park. “The submissive bearing with which they crouched to the lash and the utter want of animation and spirit which they exhibited, divested the exhibition of all sense of danger.”
October 17th 1843
A severe gale occurred on the Norfolk coast, several vessels were driven ashore, and five lives were lost off Bacton.
October 23rd 1843
The Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry paraded at East Dereham and received from the Lord Lieutenant of the county a standard, in commemoration of the honour conferred upon it by Prince Albert, in allowing the corps to be called after his name. “The helmets, which formerly were fronted with the Maltese Cross, now exhibit the Royal Arms.”
November 9th 1843
Mr. Freeman was elected Mayor, and Mr. George Lovick Coleman appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 25th 1843
Mr. Murray announced the publication of “The Correspondence of William Taylor of Norwich (author of ‘English Synonyms’) with Robert Southey, Esq., from 1791 to 1830, with a memoir of his life and works,” by J. W. Robberds.
December 2nd 1843
A meeting of landowners, agriculturists, and merchants of the county, presided over by the High Sheriff (Mr. Tyssen), approved the scheme of the Norwich and Brandon Railway, expounded by Mr. G. P. Bidder. The estimated cost was £380,000, to be raised in 19,000 shares of £20 each. (_See_ July 29th, 1845.)
December 9th 1843
The first person in Norwich to advertise “patent photographic portraits” was Mr. Beard, of the Royal Bazaar. These likenesses were stated to be “surprisingly correct,” and severe chemical tests proved that they would “last to infinity.” The prices ranged from one to two guineas.
December 9th 1843
Mr. George Pinson, Governor of Gressenhall Workhouse, was selected by the visiting justices Governor of the County Gaol at Norwich Castle, in succession to Mr. Johnson, resigned.
December 15th 1843
Died in St. Peter Southgate, Norwich, John Smith, gardener, aged 102.
December 16th 1843
The improvement of Briggs’ Street, Norwich, was completed, and the Paving Commissioners were paid £700 by the trustees of the D’Oyley fund.
December 19th 1843
Died, Mrs. Elizabeth Barbara Bulwer Lytton, widow of General Bulwer, of Heydon Hall, and daughter and sole heiress of Richard Warburton Lytton, of Knebworth Park, Herts. “She was mother of the Ambassador at Madrid, of Sir Edward, who succeeds to the estates, and of Mr. W. L. Bulwer, of Heydon Hall. The literary tastes and accomplishments of Mrs. Bulwer Lytton may have had an influence in early life upon her son’s mind. Many poems of hers circulated amongst her immediate friends are full of feeling and grace.”
December 26th 1843
The report on the Christmas trade at Norwich stated that the stage coaches conveyed 3,036 hampers of game and poultry to London. Sykes’ waggons in five days conveyed to the Metropolitan market 68 tons of meat, game, and poultry, from Norfolk and Suffolk.
December 26th 1843
For the first time for many years, Norwich Theatre opened on Boxing Day. The programme included “The Stranger,” “Cherry Bounce,” and the pantomime “Harlequin Baron Munchausen.” The other Christmas attractions were Batty’s Equestrian Company at the Pantheon, Victoria Gardens, and Wombwell’s Menagerie on the Castle Meadow.