January 7th 1842
At a meeting of the county magistrates, held at Norwich, the Earl of Orford presented a petition signed by a very large number of occupiers of land, “praying for a considerable change, if not a total abrogation, of the police force, as the introduction of the force had not decreased either the number of robberies or cases of vagrancy, while the expenses of the county were much increased by the costs arising from the prosecution of persons apprehended by the police for offences of a very trivial nature.” The Rev. J. C. Collyer presented a counter petition from the clergy, landowners, and inhabitants of Reepham, “praying that no alteration take place in the county police, which had been found a most useful body in that part of the county.” A resolution was unanimously adopted affirming that great benefits had been derived from the introduction of the police, and thanking Col. Oakes, the Chief Constable, for his exertions in the formation of the force.
January 8th 1842
Deputations from the various agricultural societies in East Norfolk attended a meeting at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, at which the East Norfolk Agricultural Association was formed, for the exhibition of stock and agricultural implements in Norwich or its vicinity. Lord Wodehouse was elected president, and Mr. E. C. Bailey secretary. The first show was held on Norwich Cricket Ground, on September 13th. There were twenty-four classes of live stock, and four entries of implements; 800 persons were present, and the sum of £40 was taken at the gates. Lord Wodehouse presided at the dinner, held at the Assembly Rooms.
January 14th 1842
The Lynn mail coach, on its journey to London, overturned between Melbourne and Royston, and Simpson, the coachman, was killed.
January 15th 1842
“Died last week, in the 85th year of his age, Mr. Thos. Leech, hosier, one of the oldest inhabitants of Diss. He was the representative of the venerable Bishop Blaize in the last procession of the wool-combers held at Diss at about the same time the like pageant was exhibited at Norwich, Diss having been esteemed a great manufactory of hosiery, and one of the chief in Norfolk and Suffolk.”
January 19th 1842
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, it was decided to celebrate the christening of the Prince of Wales by the erection of an almshouse, and to raise £1,000 for carrying out the scheme. At an adjourned meeting, on January 25th, the resolution was rescinded, because “the opening of an alms-house was only the opening of a pauper warren.” On the same day a dinner was given at the Royal Hotel, a ball took place at the Assembly Rooms, and the inmates of the Workhouse were entertained.
February 5th 1842
Richard Cricknell, the Norwich pugilist, died on this date. “He had never been well since he fought with Cain (on January 7th, 1840, _q.v._); the injury which he received to his head deprived him of his reason, and he had since been in the Bethel.”
February 6th 1842
Died at Budleigh-Salterton, near Exeter, aged 70, the Rev. William Gilpin, who had been twice stationed in Norwich as Wesleyan Superintendent, namely, in 1809 and 1824, during which periods “the great chapels” in Calvert Street and St. Peter Mancroft were erected.
February 9th 1842
Died at his seat at Thorpe Lodge, aged 87, Lieut.-Col. Harvey, a magistrate and deputy-lieutenant of the county, and a justice of the peace for Norwich. He was also “Father of the City.” Born in 1755, he was elected Sheriff of Norwich in 1784, Alderman for the Middle Wymer Ward in 1787, and Mayor in 1792. During the war which was terminated by the Treaty of Amiens he raised and commanded a troop of Volunteer Cavalry, called the Norwich Light Horse, which, on the renewal of hostilities with France, was augmented to a squadron, of which he was appointed Major. In 1824 he became by seniority Lieut.-Col. Commandant of the 3rd Regiment of Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry and continued at the head of the corps until the three county regiments were disembodied. In 1825–26 he served the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk. The Thorpe Lodge estate was sold at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, by Mr. Culley on June 9th and 10th. The amount realised by the auction was £35,000 and sales by private contract brought the amount to £50,000.
February 10th 1842
Lord Jocelyn was elected unopposed Member of Parliament for Lynn, to fill the vacancy caused by the appointment of Sir Stratford Canning as Ambassador at Constantinople.
February 26th 1842
A prospectus was issued inviting the public to subscribe £800 in 40 shares of £20 each, for the purchase of a steam carriage (patented by Mr. W. Parr) to run for hire between Norwich and Yarmouth. (There is no further record of the proposed undertaking.)
March 7th 1842
The Norwich weavers commenced a strike to enforce a return to the scheduled prices paid in 1836. The women and girls employed at Mr. Wright’s factory struck on July 19th, and paraded the streets with alms-boxes; and on August 22nd the jacquard weavers adopted a similar course. In the latter case Mr. Hinde and Mr. Steward agreed to their demands, and Messrs. Willett and Francis urged the making of mutual concessions.
March 7th 1842
Died, aged 86, Elizabeth Hawes, widow, of Coltishall. “She was born and reared in humble life, and was the only sister of that eminent scholar, Richard Porson, and though under widely different circumstances, her mind showed traces of the relationship in perception, memory, and the power of application.”
March 23rd 1842
Disturbances took place at Lynn in consequence of a reduction in the wages of coal porters and sailors. The rural police were summoned, special constables sworn in, and a troop of the 13th Light Dragoons were ordered from Norwich. Several of the ringleaders were sent to jail.
March 26th 1842
The publication of Part I. of Mr. David Hodgson’s “Antiquarian Remains, Principally Confined to Norwich and Norfolk,” was announced on this date.
March 26th 1842
“A plan has been set on foot for the establishment of an Art Union for East Anglia, with the view of giving encouragement to the fine arts in this county and its vicinity. The exhibition is intended to be opened at Norwich at or prior to the Festival week.” The society was known as the East of England Art Union, and the first exhibition was opened “at their well-lighted gallery in Exchange Street,” on July 27th. The exhibitors included J. Stark, J. B. Crome, S. B. Colkett, M. E. Cotman, A. Stannard, R. Ladbrooke, J. B. Ladbrooke, T. Lound, R. Leman, &c.
April 4th 1842
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Serjeant Atcherley, George Barber, aged ten years, was indicted, upon the Coroner’s inquisition, for murdering John Smith, aged eight, by throwing him over Shotford Bridge into the river Waveney, on November 6th, 1841. The only direct evidence to criminate the prisoner was his own confession, which was extracted from him by a witness who had chained him up and frightened him by threats. The Commissioner directed the jury to acquit the prisoner, who was afterwards received into the establishment of the Philanthropic Society, St. George’s Fields, London.
April 5th 1842
A singular case was tried at the Norfolk Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Tindal. The defendants, John Utting and Anna Bunn, were indicted for conspiring against one Daniel Durrant, of Winterton, a criminal then under sentence of transportation for life. Durrant, at the Summer Assizes in 1841, was charged with committing a rape upon Bunn, on whose evidence and that of John Utting, a constable at Filby, he was convicted and sentenced. Soon afterwards Durrant’s wife died of grief, and Bunn, labouring under the pangs of remorse, confessed to the Rev. Mr. Sidney, of Acle, that the statements which procured the conviction of Durrant were false. It was further shown that Utting had planned with Bunn to ruin Durrant. The jury now found that Durrant was not guilty of the charge on which he was convicted, and returned a verdict of guilty against Utting, while Bunn, who had not been called upon to plead, was discharged. Utting was taken before the Court of Queen’s Bench, on May 9th, and was there sentenced by Mr. Justice Patteson to twelve calendar months’ imprisonment in Norwich Castle. “The issue of the prosecution was that Durrant was restored to liberty and returned home. Only three years ago he would have been executed for this crime. He was formerly an innkeeper, with a good business. Through this unfounded charge he has lost his wife, who died of a broken heart, and he and his three young children are now destitute.” Public subscriptions were made on behalf of this unfortunate man.
April 16th 1842
“During the Assizes the Norwich Scholars ascended the tower of St. Peter Mancroft and made a grand attempt to ring 6,729 changes of Stedman’s Cinques. They attained about 6,000, in four hours and a half, after which the gudgeon of the tenor broke, which, with the stock and implements, weighs 5,000 lbs. and upwards. It fell on the beams beneath with a tremendous crash, but sustained no injury. The ringers were more frightened than hurt.”
April 16th 1842
“Messrs. Whaites, of Ingham, have, in two days during the last fortnight, killed 116 couples of snipes; on the first day 54 couples, on the second day 62 couples.” Other remarkable feats of snipe shooting were recorded during the year. On October 15th Mr. Robert Fellowes, jun., killed, on Sir William Beauchamp Proctor’s marshes at Langley, 60 couple; and on November 17th, at Rockland, Mr. Richard Crawshay killed, at one shot, four snipe on the wing.
April 16th 1842
The publication, by subscription, was announced of a new tragedy, entitled, “De Valencourt, or the Fate of Extremes,” by Mr. William Henry Hoskins, principal tragedian and deputy stage manager at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, and Mr. H. H. Hoskins, author of “The Spaniards’ Ransom,” &c. The publishers were C. Mitchell, Red Lion Court, Fleet Street, London; Matchett and Co. and Bacon and Co., Norwich. The play was produced at Norwich Theatre for the first time on May 14th. “In the piece there is an imitation of Shakesperian language and dialogue; there are many striking, and some touching passages, but allied with much that is very strained and exaggerated.”
April 23rd 1842
Mr. Abington, “a graduated member of Trinity College, Cambridge, and also of the English Bar,” who had adopted the stage as a profession, made his first appearance at Norwich Theatre, as Hamlet.
May 1st 1842
A serious fire occurred at Hillington Hall, the seat of Sir William ffolkes, Bart. The fire was confined to the servants’ apartments, which were totally destroyed, and the main building was saved by the unroofing of the intervening structure.
May 6th 1842
Samuel Wilkinson, of Mill Street, Peafield, appeared before the Norwich magistrates and stated that he wished to sell his wife. The magistrates referred him to the Ecclesiastical Court, but he said he would effect the sale and take the risk. On the 7th, at or near the Prussia Gardens, he sold his wife for a guinea, and received a sovereign on account. On the 10th Wilkinson was bound over to keep the peace for assaulting his wife. In the course of the hearing the following written agreement was produced:— “This is to satfy that I Samyoul Wilkerson sold my wife to Mr. Gorge Springle for the sum of one pound one before witness. Samyoul X Wilkerson Maryann Wilkerson X her mark Gorge Springle X his mark Frederick Cornish, witness.”
May 7th 1842
Died, Mr. George Cooke Tucker, landlord of the New Inn, Cromer. “The present flourishing establishment was built and raised by him. Possessed of a peculiar courteousness of manner, and endowed with great kindness of disposition, he was alike esteemed by the resident gentry and the general inhabitants of the place and neighbourhood. He had reached the patriarchal age of ninety years.”
May 11th 1842
Died, aged 62, Mr. William Norman, Windsor Place, New Lakenham, “many years hair dresser to his late Majesty George III.”
May 18th 1842
At Norwich Theatre was produced, for the first time, a new melodrama, in three acts, entitled, “The Student of Jena,” by Mr. Wm. Cooper, B.A., barrister, of Norwich. “The play is founded on the romance of the ‘Diamond Watch,’ a piece of _diablerie_, emanating from the German school.”
May 26th 1842
Thurlow, the pedestrian, commenced a walk of 2,000 miles in one thousand hours, at Richmond Hill Gardens, Norwich. (No further record.) Robert Skipper, “the celebrated pedestrian, of Norfolk and Norwich, having been absent on the Continent and in different counties, where he has won several matches, and is now in his 55th year,” began a walk on June 21st, of 50 miles per day for twenty successive days, at the Green Hill Gardens, St. Augustine’s Gates, Norwich. He completed the task on Sunday, July 10th, “and did not appear to be in the least distressed.”
May 28th 1842
Mr. and Mrs. Wood commenced, at Norwich Theatre, a five nights’ engagement, prior to their final retirement from the stage. The operas produced included “Fra Diavolo,” “Midas,” “La Somnambula,” and “Norma.”
May 28th 1842
The Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry assembled at Swaffham for eight days’ permanent duty, under the command of Major Loftus.
May 30th 1842
Cricket was revived in Norwich by a match played on this date, between the Norwich Club and the officers and privates of the 13th Light Dragoons. “Considerable fluctuation has for the last few years in Norwich marked the practice of this celebrated manly game, and about two years since nothing appeared more probable than its extinction.”
June 1st 1842
Another instance of the holding in church of a public meeting for secular purposes occurred on this date. The inhabitants of Stoke Holy Cross assembled at the parish church to discuss the propriety of establishing a benefit society. Mr. T. Brightwell presided over the meeting.
June 14th 1842
Died, aged 65, at Long Island, United States, Mr. John Hunt, engraver, formerly of Norwich. He was the author of a work on British ornithology.
June 19th 1842
A severe thunderstorm occurred at Norwich. “The wind blew a perfect hurricane. Rushing in a straight line for Catton, it caught the high wall in St. Clement’s Square, and blew down about 30 yards of solid brickwork.” The sails of Catton mill were blown off, trees were torn up by the roots, and the river suddenly rose above the banks in places. At Harleston a marsh mill was overturned and houses were unroofed.
June 21st 1842
Died at the Euston Hotel, London, Mr. Fred. Yates, aged 45, manager of the Adelphi Theatre. He married, in 1823, Miss F. Brunton, granddaughter of Mr. John Brunton, of Norwich.
June 30th 1842
Died at Longford Hall, Derbyshire, aged 88, Thomas William Coke, Earl of Leicester. His lordship was born on May 6th, 1753, and was returned for Norfolk in 1776. With one brief intermission, he continued to represent the county until 1832. He was created Earl of Leicester in 1837. He married, in his twenty-third year, his cousin Jane, youngest daughter of Mr. James Dutton, who died June 2nd, 1800, leaving no male issue. After remaining twenty-two years a widower, he married, February 26th, 1822, Lady Anne Amelia Keppel, third daughter of the Earl of Albemarle, her ladyship being then 19 and Mr. Coke 70 years of age. The issue of the marriage were Thomas William, born in 1822; Edward Keppel, 1824; Henry Coke, 1827; Wenman Clarence Walpole, 1828; and Margaret Sophia, who, at the Earl’s death was only ten years of age. The remains of the deceased nobleman arrived at Swaffham on July 10th, and were placed in the large room at the Crown Inn. From four o’clock in the afternoon until nine in the evening the body lay in state, and immense numbers of persons passed through the apartment. At nine o’clock on the morning of the 11th, muffled peals were rung, and at eleven o’clock the funeral procession started for Tittleshall. It passed through Castle-acre, the Lexhams, and Litcham. “At every spot where the main road crossed the cross roads were carriages in waiting to fall into the procession, which, marching in close order, was two miles in length.” At Tittleshall church, where the interment took place, there was a great gathering of the personal friends and tenantry of the deceased earl.
July 2nd 1842
Died at Hexham, Northumberland, aged 86, Mr. William Cooke, formerly of North Creake. “About 60 years ago, under the auspices of Mr. T. W. Coke, and upon the estate of Earl Spencer, he introduced into Norfolk the drill system for corn. He subsequently introduced into the same county the Northumberland turnip husbandry, and, in conjunction with Sir Mordaunt Martin and Dr. Letsome, established the cultivation of mangold wurzle in England. During his latter years he devoted much time and his high mathematical attainments to perfecting the plough.”
July 4th 1842
The first meeting for enforcing the Income-Tax was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, when Commissioners were appointed for the several Hundreds named in the Act of Parliament. Similar meetings took place at Yarmouth and Lynn.
July 6th 1842
Races were held at East Dereham. The other meetings this season were at Norwich on July 12th and 13th, Downham July 22nd, and Yarmouth September 6th and 7th.
July 9th 1842
The funeral of Lord Townshend, who died at Hutton Lodge, Yorkshire, on June 28th, aged 56 years, took place at Bintry church.
July 14th 1842
Major Boxall, of Swaffham, was killed at the brewery of Mr. Morse, in that town, by the fall of a portion of the roof.
July 16th 1842
At a meeting of the yeomanry and tenantry of both political parties, held at the Swan Inn, Norwich, it was decided to erect, by public subscription, a monument to the memory of the late Earl of Leicester. (_See_ January 7th, 1843.)
July 23rd 1842
A correspondent, writing under this date to the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, complained of the danger and annoyance caused on the public roads by vehicles drawn by dogs. “If,” he wrote, “Parliament deemed it necessary two years ago to pass an Act prohibiting, under a severe penalty, the use of dogs as beasts of draught or burden in London and its neighbourhood for twenty miles around, surely the same necessity, as well on the score of humanity as of personal security to the public, does exist in reference to every other portion of the kingdom.”
July 24th 1842
Died, aged 60, at Hunter Street, Brunswick Square, London, John Sell Cotman.
August 1st 1842
An acrobat, named Alleni, was descending a rope “in his chariot of fire,” at the Greyhound Gardens, Ber Street, Norwich, when his apparatus failed, the rope broke, and the unfortunate performer, falling a distance of thirty feet, was seriously injured.
August 6th 1842
A correspondent complained that the “unrivalled tower” of Norwich Cathedral, then undergoing restoration, was “under the care of a plasterer, to be patched and pieced in his best manner with a compound of villainous ingredients scarcely tolerable on a shop front.” Mr. John Brown, the Cathedral architect, replied, on August 10th, to the effect that the substance used was not plaster, but “hydraulic cement, calcined limestone and sand, which is more durable than stone.” Much newspaper controversy ensued.
August 20th 1842
“Last week a block of granite of nearly two tons weight was fixed on the south battlement of Norwich Castle, containing the following inscription:—“This Royal Castle, built by William Rufus, as Knychton testifies in his Chronicle, on the site of one much more ancient, has been used as a county gaol since the year 1345, and was finally vested in the magistrates of Norfolk for that purpose by Royal grant confirmed by Parliament in 1806. The ornamental work and facing of the exterior having fallen into a state of extreme decay, the same was ordered to be restored at the expense of the county by the Court of Quarter Sessions, in April, 1834. Its restoration was carried into effect with the most careful adherence to the details of the antient work in Bath stone, as most resembling that of Normandy, which had been originally used, under the superintendence of the visiting justices, and completed in 1839. The battlements and corbel table were designed from the best discoverable authorities, as no portion remained of the original termination of the building. Anthony Salvin, Esq., of London, architect; Mr. James Watson, of Norwich, stonemason.” [The NORFOLK CHRONICLE expressed regret “at the necessity, if any such existed, for the adoption of a process which has for ever hidden from human eyes the whole exterior of this celebrated Anglo-Norman keep.”]
August 27th 1842
A finner whale, discovered stranded upon a shoal in Lynn Roads, was secured by a boat’s crew who fastened a rope to its tail. When the tide rose the whale dragged the boat with great velocity towards the town. After a struggle of seven hours, it was landed. It measured 50 ft. in length.
August 27th 1842
“Her Majesty has been pleased to grant unto William Hardy Cozens, Esq., of Letheringsett, her Royal licence to take and use the surname and arms of Hardy, in addition to his present name, in compliance with a condition contained in the will of his late uncle, William Hardy, Esq., of Letheringsett Hall.”
August 30th 1842
A great rowing match took place on the Yare, at Norwich, in the presence of thousands of spectators. The match, which was open to all England, was for a subscription cup or purse of £50, and was to be rowed in four-oared 36ft. boats, by amateurs. Competing crews were entered by the Leander Club, London; King’s College Club, London; the Cambridge Amateur Club, and the Norwich Amateur Club. The odds throughout were greatly in favour of the Londoners, and many heavy bets were made on Cambridge. The course, about three miles, was from stakes on Bramerton Common to a spot nearly opposite Thorpe Gardens. “The boats started two and two; the first two boats were started 100 yards apart at the same time; the winning boat of each pair had therefore to row another heat. By the casting of lots, the Leander was pitted against King’s College, and Norwich against Cambridge. The Leander had the lead of King’s College, and Cambridge the lead of Norwich.” King’s College and Norwich won the first heat—the former in 22 minutes 30 seconds, and the latter in 21 minutes 30 seconds. In the final heat Norwich beat King’s College easily. The winning crew were composed as follow:—J. Kidd, 9 st. 10 lb.; J. Wigham, 10 st. 9 lb.; W. Clabburn, 11 st. 7 lb.; T. Clabburn (stroke), 9 st. 2 lb.; F. Bolingbroke (cox.), 8 st. 11 lb. Trained by Noulton.
August 30th 1842
The Royal squadron accompanying the Queen on her voyage to Scotland passed Yarmouth at five am. On the return of her Majesty, on the evening of September 16th, several yawls put out to sea, and the occupants were gratified with a sight of the Queen and Prince Albert on the main deck of the Trident steamer. Loud cheers were given for the Sovereign and her Consort.
September 10th 1842
The publication of Part I. of Mr. Henry Ninham’s “Picturesque Antiquities of Norwich” was announced.
September 13th 1842
The Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival commenced. Miscellaneous concerts were given at St. Andrew’s Hall on the evenings of the 13th, 14th, and 15th. The morning performances included, on the 14th, Parts II. and III. of the “Creation”; on the 15th, Parts II. and III. of “The Fall of Babylon” (composed expressly for the Festival by Spohr); and on the 16th, “Samson.” A fancy dress ball was given on the night of the 16th. The artistes engaged at the Festival were: Madame Caradori Allan, Miss Rainforth, Miss Maria B. Hawes, Miss Bassano, and Signora Pacini; Mr. Hobbs, Mr. Phillips, Mr. Balfe, Mr. Bradbury, Mr. Young, Mr. Walton, and Signor Rubini. Professor Taylor conducted. The surplus amounted to £716 15s. 2d.
September 13th 1842
A circus company, under the management of Madame Ducrow, commenced a series of performances at Norwich Theatre. “The whole of the stage, 43 ft. square, was formed into a circus ring, decorated round with appropriate devices. The circle was rendered moveable, so that dramatic representations similar to the late Astley’s Amphitheatre were introduced.” These included “The Spanish Bullfight, or the Muleteer,” “Mazeppa,” “The Secret Mine, or the Hindoos of the Ruby Cliffs,” &c. To enable the audience to obtain a full view of the ring performances, the floor of the pit was raised.
September 14th 1842
Died at Yarmouth, in his 49th year, Mr. J. B. Crome. “Besides inheriting the talents of that well-known ‘Father’ of the Norwich school of painting, he possessed literary attainments and theoretical knowledge which conferred both honour and advantage on his practical pursuits of Art.”
September 24th 1842
“The Queen has been pleased to grant unto the Rev. James Tooke Hales, of Glazenwood, in Essex, and of Thompson, in Norfolk, her Royal license and authority to assume the surname of Tooke in addition to and after that of Hales, and to bear the arms of Tooke.”
September 24th 1842
“Mr. C. F. Hall, of Norwich, has been appointed second leader of the orchestra of Drury Lane Theatre, after a contest of skill. He is the composer of two ballads, ‘I have dream’d of hopes defeated’ and ‘The Inconstant.’”
October 8th 1842
“At a late sitting of the magistrates at Litcham to hear appeals against assessed taxes, Mr. Lynes, one of the appellants, accused the Surveyor of Taxes of partial conduct. He alleged that Mr. F. Beck, of Mileham, owned greyhounds for which he was not charged duty. Mr. Beck jumped up and got hold of Mr. Lynes’ nose, which he held for some time. Mr. Lynes retaliated by striking Mr. Beck several blows on the head and face, and a battle ensued. The police interfered, and Capt. Fitzroy ordered the parties into custody. It was stated that there had previously been a quarrel between Mr. King, the magistrates’ clerk, Mr. Beck, and Mr. Lynes, and Mr. King had challenged the latter to fight a duel. Mr. King acknowledged that he had sent a challenge. For the fight in the magistrates’ room Mr. Beck and Mr. Lynes were bound over to keep the peace for twelve months. Mr. King was also bound over in sureties to keep the peace towards Mr. Lynes for twelve months.” At the Norfolk Assizes, on April 3rd, 1843, the action Lynes _v._ Beck, for assault, was tried before Lord Chief Justice Tindal, and judgment was given for the plaintiff, damages one shilling. The Judge remarked that the assault was of a very degrading and contumacious character.
October 11th 1842
Died at his house on Scoles’ Green, Norwich, Mr. Robert Ladbrooke, artist, in his 73rd year.
October 13th 1842
Died at Tunbridge Wells, aged 55, Sir John Jacob Buxton, Bart., of Shadwell Park, Norfolk, and of Tockenham House, Wilts. He served the office of High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1841–2.
October 19th 1842
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, Johnson Hemnell was sentenced to fifteen years’ transportation for stealing promissory notes, gold, and silver, to the amount of £150, the property of Mr. Harrison Wells, of Dilham. On the night after his conviction the convict accompanied two of the prison warders to Seething, where he showed them a garden bank in which £108 of the stolen money was found concealed.
November 7th 1842
An inquest was held at the Hare Arms, Stow Bardolph, on the body of John Vare, who died under singular circumstances. On October 24th, at the Swan Inn, Downham, “he recited with considerable spirit to a party of tradesmen a piece out of ‘Othello,’ and at the finish, where Othello dies, deceased, as in the character, fell with considerable violence on the hearthrug at full length with his face down wards. He complained of considerable pain, went home, and died.”
November 9th 1842
Mr. Alderman Mitchell was elected Mayor, and Mr. William Freeman appointed Sheriff of Norwich.
November 18th 1842
Died at Rawal Pindi, Lieut. Richard Edward Frere, 13th Light Infantry, aged 25. He had been in every action throughout the war in Afghanistan, was repeatedly wounded, and was mentioned with distinction in dispatches.
November 19th 1842
“Messrs. Wells and Gardner, of Birmingham, have entered into an arrangement with T. T. Berney, Esq., of Morton Hall, Norfolk, for the manufacture of his patent cartridges so much approved by gentlemen and sportsmen generally, and have appointed local agents.”
November 26th 1842
“Sir Robert Peel has recommended her Majesty to grant an annual pension of £100 to Mr. John Curtis, the eminent naturalist and author of the great work, ‘British Entomology.’” Curtis was a native of Norwich.
December 24th 1842
A singular story of a supposed murder was published. A human skeleton was recovered from the bed of the river at Costessey Mills by a “didling” boat owned by Messrs. Culley. The circumstance was recalled that a Jew pedlar, known as “Old Abraham,” had mysteriously disappeared eight years previously. It was also remembered that one Robert Page, sentenced to transportation for life for sheep stealing at Drayton, on March 27th, 1834, had told the prison warders that if he were taken to Costessey he could show them, beneath a willow tree, “something that would make their hair stand on end.” By a curious coincidence, the skeleton was found beneath a willow which overhung the river. It was stated that the body had been staked down in the bed of the stream.
December 31st 1842
“During last week the coaches and vans were laden with turkeys and game for London. From the Magnet Office alone upwards of 1,600 packages were consigned, containing at least 2,400 turkeys, besides geese and game. The other coaches have had their share. One manufacturing firm in the city sent 1,000 lbs. weight.”