January 3rd 1841
A severe gale, with thunder, lightning, and hailstorms, occurred.
January 4th 1841
A correspondent writing to the NORFOLK CHRONICLE on this date announced the discovery, in the old Library Room at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, of an antique chest containing the remains of a valuable collection of Roman and English coins. John Kirkpatrick, in his will, dated July, 1727, made the following bequest: “I give to the Mayor, Sheriffs, citizens and commonalty of Norwich all my ancient MSS. and all my medals and antient coins of silver and brass, to be deposited in the library of the new Hall” (the Guildhall). The coins found at St. Andrew’s Hall formed the remnant of that collection.
January 7th 1841
The thermometer fell to zero at Norwich. The cold was so intense that fowls under cover were frozen to death. Great distress prevailed, and meetings were held at Norwich, Yarmouth, and Lynn, to adopt measures for the relief of the poor.
January 9th 1841
Died in the Cathedral Precincts, Norwich, in his 77th year, the Rev. Peter Hansell, one of the Minor Canons of the Cathedral, an office which he had held for upwards of fifty-four years. For more than half a century he was minister of St. John de Sepulchre. His remains were interred, on the 15th, in the south transept of the Cathedral.
January 9th 1841
Died, aged 52, Samuel Thurston, for more than 30 years a ringer at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. “As a practical ringer and theorist combined, the art has lost one of its brightest ornaments. The date tablets erected in different parishes throughout the city and county record his fame as a ringer.”
January 16th 1841
All the marshes and low-lying lands in the vicinity of Norwich were flooded upon the breaking up of the frost. Owing to the heavy state of the roads, the mail and stage coaches were delayed several hours beyond their usual time. The weather was remarkably warm and brilliant in the last week of the month.
February 3rd 1841
Wintry weather set in with increased severity, the rivers were icebound, and navigation was completely stopped at Lynn.
February 3rd 1841
The Mayor of Norwich (Mr. Ed. Willett) entertained a large party at the Royal Hotel, in celebration of the christening of the Princess Royal. “Four swans formed a conspicuous figure in the second course, and the ancient and costly Corporation plate was brought into requisition on this occasion. Previous to the removal of the cloth the beautiful antique massive gilt dishes were passed round with rose water in them.” In the evening a ball was held at the Assembly Rooms.
February 8th 1841
Miss Ellen Tree commenced a six nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre. Her impersonations included Julia (“The Hunchback”), Letitia Hardy, Mrs. Haller, Constance (“The Love Chase”), Juliana (“The Honeymoon”), and Pauline.
February 12th 1841
Died, at East Dereham, in her 101st year, Mrs. Carter, widow of the Rev. John Carter, formerly minister of the Independent chapel, Mattishall.
February 12th 1841
Died, Sir Astley Paston Cooper, Bart., aged 78 years.
February 27th 1841
Died at Scarning, aged 67, the Rev. L. Walton, perpetual curate of Wendling and Longham, and many years master of the Free Grammar School, Scarning.
March 5th 1841
The Norwich Philharmonic Society, established on the dissolution of the Hall Concert, gave its first concert.
March 22nd 1841
The Mayor of Yarmouth (Mr. S. Palmer), “assisted by the lodge of Free and Accepted Masons,” laid the first stone of the Victoria Hotel at Yarmouth. “Corn, wine, and oil, emblems of plenty, were offered and poured upon the stone.” The hotel, and adjoining houses known as Kimberley Terrace, were erected by the Victoria Building Company, “for the reception of families of the highest distinction.”
April 5th 1841
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Bosanquet, Charlotte Yaxley, _alias_ Middleton, aged 22, was indicted for the murder of Lavinia Kerrison, the thirteen months old illegitimate child of her husband, by drowning it in a duck-pond at Yarmouth, on March 23rd. She was found guilty, and sentenced to transportation for life.
April 10th 1841
Intelligence was received at Norwich of the massacre, by Malay pirates, in the Straits of Timor, of the crew of the Pilot Southseaman in June, 1840. The captain, first officer (Mr. Gidney, brother of Mr. J. W. Gidney, of East Dereham), and twenty-five seamen fell victims whilst gallantly defending the ship.
April 13th 1841
Died, aged 85, John Rayson, of Pulham. “For nearly half a century he had been deprived of the use of his legs, but this did not prevent his travelling daily between Pulham and Harleston as postman or letter carrier, for 47 years.”
April 17th 1841
A new “local drama,” entitled, “Rose Maynard, the Factory Girl of Norwich,” was produced for the first time at Norwich Theatre. “The piece is of home manufacture, but we cannot compliment the _weaver_ of this dramatic _warp_ and _woof_ of his judgment in laying such a _fabric_ before an audience in Norwich.” The scenery, by Thorne, included views of St. Saviour’s church, the Palace Gate, St. Martin-at-Palace Plain, and Whitefriars’ Bridge.
April 27th 1841
Died at South Walsham, aged 75, Mr. Henry Codling. “Unassisted by the aid of any tutor, he acquired no mean degree of mathematical knowledge. He understood the doctrine of fluxions, and delighted in his favourite author, Maclaurin. He was a constant annual correspondent with the ‘Ladies’ Diary,’ to within a few years of the close of his life, and received prizes for the solution of the most knotty questions contained therein.”
April 28th 1841
The headquarters of the 8th Royal Irish Hussars marched from Norwich for Manchester, and on the same day two troops of the 7th Dragoon Guards marched in, under the command of Major Bolton.
April 28th 1841
Died at Chigwell Row, Mr. Luke Greaves Hansard, aged 61. “He was printer to the House of Commons, and eldest son of Luke Hansard, a native of Norfolk.”
May 5th 1841
The Bishop of Norwich confirmed 500 persons at Diss. His lordship, in the course of this visitation, confirmed 10,464 young persons.
May 11th 1841
Mr. Carter, “the celebrated African Lion King,” appeared at Norwich Theatre “with his troupe of acting animals, consisting of lions, tigers, leopards, and panthers, in a new drama, entitled, ‘The Lion of the Desert.’” Mr. Carter took the part of “Abdallah, a dumb Arab.” “It requires no little nerve on the part of the actors and actresses to play to such rough customers, and much credit is due to the members of the Norwich Company who took a share in the performance.”
May 17th 1841
At Norwich, R. Coates, “the great London pedestrian,” walked 50 miles in twelve hours; on the 18th ran 50 miles, on the 19th ran 40 miles backwards, on the 20th ran a pair of wheels 22 miles, rowed a boat 10 miles, jumped 300 flights of hurdles placed ten yards apart, and threw 100 somersaults. “All these events on the several days were performed in the space of twelve hours.” At the Green Hill Gardens, Norwich, Coates undertook to walk, on June 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, fifty miles in twelve hours each day, “half backwards and half forwards, and accomplished this extraordinary feat the last day with ten minutes to spare.” At the same gardens, on June 30th, he commenced walking 1,000 half miles in 1,000 successive hours. “He has to walk a half mile every succeeding half hour day and night, but he has the privilege of walking two half miles together, the last and first part of the hour.” Coates was credited with the due accomplishment of the feat. On August 10th a man named Charles Thurlow began a walk of 1,000 miles in 1,000 hours at Richmond Hill Gardens, Norwich, and completed what was said to have been a genuine performance on September 21st. Another pedestrian named Henry Raven, started to walk the same distance in the same time on the Lord Nelson ground, Lakenham, on September 29th, and completed his undertaking on November 10th.
May 17th 1841
The Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry, under the command of Major Loftus, marched into Norwich, headed by their brass band, and on the following day proceeded to Yarmouth for a week’s permanent duty.
May 18th 1841
Sir Jacob Astley, of Melton Constable, Norfolk, and of Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, took his seat in the House of Peers as Baron Hastings. The termination of the long-pending abeyance of the Barony of Hastings in favour of Sir Jacob was celebrated with great festivities at Foulsham and Holt. “According to the date of his barony, the 18th of Edward I., 1290, next below Lord de Roos, Baron Hastings is the most ancient baron of the United Kingdom.”
May 20th 1841
Mr. G. V. Brooke commenced a six nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre.
June 2nd 1841
At a meeting held at the Assembly Rooms, East Dereham, under the presidency of Lord Sondes, it was agreed “that in consequence of the unprincipled attacks made upon the owners and cultivators of the soil by the employment of hired agitators to inflame the minds of the lower orders of society against them, it is expedient that some steps be adopted for the protection and defence of those interests.” It was also decided to form an association which was known as the Central Norfolk Society for the Protection of Agriculture, and was affiliated to the British Agricultural Protection Association, an organization which worked in opposition to the Anti-Corn Law League.
June 2nd 1841
A meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in pursuance of a requisition addressed to the Mayor, stating that “her Majesty’s Ministers had been guilty of an act of gross and wanton injustice and spoliation in depriving the freemen of this and other cities and boroughs of their vested municipal rights; that by their unremitting endeavours to uphold and perpetuate in all their unmitigated harshness and severity the heartless and oppressive provisions of the new Poor Law they had evinced an utter disregard to the wants, feelings, and rights of the poor, and that their recent attempts to deprive the colonial and agricultural interests of the empire of a just protection under the specious and delusive pretext of supplying a deficiency in the revenue which their own mismanagement had occasioned, had rendered them wholly unworthy of the confidence of the country.” Between two thousand and three thousand persons were present, and the greatest confusion prevailed, owing to the action of a large body of Chartists, led by the notorious John Dover. It was proposed that Col. Harvey should take the chair, but the Chartists elected one Matthew Smith, a working man. On the latter assuming the presidency of the meeting, Col. Harvey, Mr. Bignold, and other gentlemen left the hall. A number of resolutions of a revolutionary character were adopted, and Dover, at the conclusion of the meeting, congratulated his followers on the success of the gathering, remarking that “it had cost the Tories £20 for bills, and the Whigs £20 for bullies.” The proceedings, which were of a very orderly character, concluded with three cheers for Fergus O’Connor. Meanwhile the gentlemen who had convened the original meeting adjourned to the Norfolk Hotel, where they passed a series of resolutions emphasising the statements contained in the requisition. During the whole of the proceedings the hotel was besieged by a riotous mob, several serious assaults were committed, and on the 3rd some of the rioters were charged before the magistrates.
June 9th 1841
Litcham Races took place on this date. Among the other local meetings was that at East Dereham, on June 23rd, where the commencement of the sport was announced by the ringing of the church bells, and the cup was won by Mr. Column’s c.g. Day Star. The trophy “weighed 41 oz., and contained by admeasurement eight pints of Howard’s sparkling champaign, which the fortunate winner twice filled, and the company partook of it with true English feeling.” The Yarmouth meeting took place on July 20th and 21st, the Norfolk and Norwich Races were held on Mousehold Heath, Norwich, on September 8th and 9th, and Swaffham Races on September 15th.
June 19th 1841
“For nearly the middle of June, so cold a season has never perhaps been experienced as during all last week. Fires and great coats were in general requisition, and coachmen and guards were to be seen muffled up as if we had been in the depth of winter.”
June 28th 1841
The Marquis of Douro and Mr. Benjamin Smith, the retiring members, were nominated for the representation of Norwich in Parliament. Dover, the Chartist, nominated a third candidate, Mr. William Eagle, of Lakenheath, Suffolk. “Conservatives and Whigs, in the show of hands, voted against Eagle, and the Sheriff declared the Marquis of Douro and Mr. Smith duly elected.” Dover thereupon demanded a poll for Eagle, but was unable to deposit one-third of the expense (about £200). The proceedings were temporarily adjourned. “Dover then went out of the room, and, after the lapse of half an hour, _something_ took place which our readers will guess by the result. When Dover came back there was no further demand for a poll—we believe Dover received £50 to withdraw the nomination.” The rumour quickly spread among the Chartists that Dover had “sold” them. The mob waylaid him in Dove Lane, and he retreated to the Guildhall for protection. The windows of the room in which he was supposed to have taken refuge were demolished by the stones thrown by the mob, and the police who went out to quell the disturbance were assailed by volleys of brickbats and other missiles. The 7th Dragoon Guards were called out, the Mayor read the Riot Act, and in the excitement and confusion Dover left the Guildhall unnoticed. On the 29th the Chartists assembled in force and went to the King’s Head, St. George’s Colegate, where Dover lived with a woman named Charlotte Humphrey. They burst into the house and found him armed with his Chartist weapons, which were wrested from him; he was knocked down, brutally belaboured, and hurried to the river, and would have been thrown from the bridge had it not been for the piteous intercession of one of his children. The mob were moving towards the Market Place with their prisoner when he was rescued by the police. At the same time a detachment of dragoons, commanded by Cornet Crofts, with the Mayor at their head, rode up, a coach was procured, and Dover, having been placed inside, was conveyed, under military escort, to the City Gaol, where his serious injuries were attended to by the surgeon of the prison. On the 30th several persons appeared before the magistrates and were punished for taking part in the disturbances. Public tranquillity was somewhat restored the same day by a procession in which “Philip Augustus, the musical pieman,” and “Jerry, the lucifer match seller, in a military costume, with an immense plume of feathers in his cap,” were “chaired.”
June 28th 1841
Lord George Bentinck and Sir Stratford Canning were returned unopposed for the borough of King’s Lynn.
June 28th 1841
Mr. W. Wilshere, Mr. C. E. Rumbold, Mr. Thomas Baring, and Mr. Joseph Soames were nominated candidates for the representation of Yarmouth. The proceedings were marked by great disorder. The polling, on the 29th, resulted as follows:—Wilshere, 945; Rumbold, 943; Baring, 501; Soames, 494. The two first named were declared elected.
June 30th 1841
Thetford election took place. The Hon. W. Bingham Baring (Conservative), 86; Lord Euston (Whig), 71; Sir James Flower (Conservative), 71. Before a Committee of the House of Commons, on May 4th, 1842, a petition was presented on behalf of Sir James Flower, on the ground that several votes polled for Lord Euston were bad, as the voters had lost their qualifications. His lordship declined to take any part in these proceedings. The objection against one voter having been sustained, Sir James Flower was placed in a majority, and the Committee then passed the following resolution:—“That the Right Hen. Henry FitzRoy, commonly called the Earl of Euston, was not duly elected member for the borough of Thetford; that Sir James Flower, Bart., was duly elected, and ought to have been returned; and that the Committee have altered the poll by striking off the vote of William Burlingham from the poll of the Earl of Euston.”
July 5th 1841
Mr. William Bagge and Mr. W. Lyde Wiggett Chute, the former members, were nominated and returned unopposed as members for West Norfolk. “The town of Swaffham was one blaze of pink and purple.” The candidates were escorted to the Shirehall by an imposing procession, and after the nomination the election dinner was held at the Assembly Rooms, under the presidency of the Hon. Francis Baring.
July 10th 1841
Mr. Edmond Wodehouse and Mr. Henry Negus Burroughes, the former Conservative members for East Norfolk, entered Norwich at the head of a great cavalcade of freeholders, and were nominated at the Shirehall. Mr. Palmer, Recorder of Yarmouth, and Mr. William Wilde, Coroner for Norwich, nominated and seconded Sir William J. H. B. ffolkes as the Whig candidate. The polling, on the 13th, was declared as follows:—Wodehouse, 3,498; Burroughes, 3,437; ffolkes, 1,379.
July 12th 1841
Died at Denton, near Harleston, Sarah Witton, aged 100 years, “leaving twenty-nine great-grandchildren still living, they being the origin of one daughter.” The deceased was “the daughter of John and Eleanor Middleton, who lived to attain to the great age of 105 years.”
July 15th 1841
Died in the Chantry, Norwich, Monsieur De Rouillon, “an eminent professor and teacher of French, and extensively known as the author of several grammatical and other useful literary works.”
July 26th 1841
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Williams, a special jury tried the important action, Palmer and another _v._ Irving, chairman of the Alliance Insurance Company. The action was brought by the executors of a person of the name of Howes to recover from the company the sum of £1,503, the amount of a policy on the life of Howes. The defendant disputed the liability to pay, on the ground that Howes had suffered from consumption, was addicted to habits prejudicial to life, and that the policy had been obtained by fraud. After a long trial, an arrangement was arrived at, and a verdict given for the defendant, both sides to pay their own costs, and the policy to become void. Policies with other offices were similarly affected by the result of the trial.
July 28th 1841
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Williams, John Self, aged 20, was charged with the murder of Jemima Stimpson, aged 15, at Wymondham, on July 17th. The prisoner killed the girl by striking her on the head with a spade, and afterwards threw the body into a pond. He was found guilty, sentenced to death, and on August 14th executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich.
August 16th 1841
The two troops of the 7th Dragoon Guards marched from the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, _en route_ for Ireland. On the 25th a portion of the 13th Light Dragoons, recently returned from active service in India, marched in. The headquarters of the regiment were stationed at Ipswich. The commanding officer was Lieut.-Col. Richard Brunton, youngest son of Mr. John Brunton, formerly manager of Norwich Theatre, and brother of the Dowager Countess Craven.
August 17th 1841
Experiments were made on Yarmouth beach, in the presence of coastguard officers, with the view of testing the capabilities of Manby’s mortar and Dennett’s rocket in carrying out a line for effecting communication with stranded vessels. “The result of the experiments appears to be that each apparatus is possessed of qualities peculiar to itself. The rocket unquestionably carries the furthest, and flies with great precision. It is also more portable, but the unanimous opinion was that the rocket and mortar should go together, and so far from being considered rivals, they should be regarded as coadjutors in promoting the beneficent object which each must have in view.”
August 26th 1841
A four-oared match between London and Norwich crews, for £50 a side, took place from Coldham Hall to Thorpe Gardens, distance seven miles. The crews were composed as follow: London—Lett (stroke), Moulton, Maynard, Perry, G. Maynard (cox.). Norwich—William Gurling (stroke), Henry Gurling, Clarke, Tom Lefevre, W. Buttle (cox.). The boats started at 4.30 p.m.; the Londoners rowed the distance in 53 minutes, and the Norwich men in 56 minutes. The London boat, the most perfect specimen of a four-oar ever seen in Norwich, weighed 124 lbs. In a second match, on August 28th, in Norwich-built boats, from Bramerton to Thorpe, the London crew won by 25 seconds. On the same day a match between London and Norwich amateurs (London: Messrs. Chinery and Thompson; Norwich: Messrs. Clabburn and Russell), was rowed from Postwick to Thorpe (two miles), stakes £10. “The striking of the flags was nearly simultaneous, but the Londoners were declared the winners.”
August 26th 1841
A balloon ascent was made from Lynn Gasworks by Mr. Gypson, accompanied by Mr. Thomas Oxley and Mr. D. Nelson. A second ascent took place on September 9th. On September 18th Mr. Gypson ascended from Swaffham Gasworks.
September 6th 1841
Mr. and Mrs. Wood commenced an operatic engagement at Norwich Theatre. The productions included “La Somnambula,” “Fra Diavolo,” “Love in a Village,” and “The Waterman.”
September 14th 1841
The Coltishall Brewery estate, consisting of a residence and cottages, 53 inns and public-houses, and about 260 acres of land, formerly the property of Mr. Robert Howes, deceased, was offered for sale by auction, at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, by Mr. W. W. Simpson, of London, and realised about £50,000.
October 13th 1841
Van Amburgh, with his collection of trained animals, performed at Lynn. “The elephant arrived covered with a sort of coat _à la __Mackintosh_, and, to prevent injury to his feet, he had something on in the shape of boots.” The show also visited Norwich, and was located in the Ranelagh Gardens. “As a menagerie it is inferior to Wombwell’s; as a spectacle it is scarcely to be compared with Carter’s.”
October 19th 1841
At the Norwich Quarter Sessions, before Mr. Isaac Jermy, Recorder, Jacob Macro, woollen draper, refused to take the oath as a member of the grand jury, “because Scripture said ‘Swear not at all.’ The Recorder: Then, sir, I think it right to fine you the sum of £50, to be paid to the use of her Majesty.” The fine was subsequently reduced to £20.
November 8th 1841
An exceedingly rare fish, the maigre (_sciæna aquila_), was captured off Sheringham. It measured 5 ft. 2 in. in length, weighed 68½ lbs., and was preserved by Mr. George Johnson, chemist, of Norwich.
November 9th 1841
At a meeting of the Norwich Paving Commissioners, it was decided to try the experiment of paving Briggs’ Street with wood. It was suggested that “pieces of fir 14 in. or 15 in. long, having been peeled, be put down as they grow, with gravel between each.”
November 9th 1841
Mr. John Marshall was elected Mayor of Norwich, and Mr. William Storey appointed Sheriff.
November 10th 1841
On the arrival at Norwich of the intelligence of the birth of the Prince of Wales, the Union flag was hoisted on the towers of St. Peter Mancroft, St. Stephen, St. Giles, and of other parish churches, and the bells of St. Peter rang rejoicing peals. On Sunday, the 14th, a special form of thanksgiving was used at the church services; on November 16th and December 4th the Norwich Town Council and the county magistrates voted addresses of congratulation to the Queen and Prince Albert; and on December 7th the Bishop of Norwich gave a dinner to the inmates of the Workhouse. “The Queen graciously received the congratulations of the boys of Paston Grammar School, North Walsham, and requested that an additional week of holidays be granted to them at the ensuing Christmas vacation, in commemoration of the happy event.”
November 13th 1841
On this date was published the judgment given in the Consistory Court of Norwich, by Mr. Evans, in the suit, Loftus husband _v._ Loftus wife. The suit was brought by the Rev. Arthur Loftus, of Fincham, against Mary Anna Ray Loftus, for restitution of the conjugal rights of marriage. The Court ruled that Mr. Loftus was fully entitled to judgment, and admonished Mrs. Loftus to return to her husband.
November 14th 1841
Died at Blickling Hall, the seat of the Dowager Lady Suffield, John William Robert Kerr, Marquis and Earl of Lothian, aged 48. The funeral of the deceased nobleman took place at Blickling church, on November 24th.
November 16th 1841
Christ church, New Catton, was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich, and the sermon was preached by the Hon. and Rev. J. T. Pelham, rector of Berghapton. “The Chartists marched in procession to the church and were refused admission, and then commenced every possible description of insult and injury. The Bishop and other gentlemen, on leaving the church, were scandalously assailed by the mob; near St. Clement’s church some stones were thrown, and it was with difficulty that the crowd was kept off. The Right Rev. prelate was escorted to the Palace, and at the gate three cheers were given for his lordship.” Eleven arrests were made, and several convictions were recorded during the two days’ hearing at the Police Court. The ringleader, a man named Hewett, was committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions, and on January 4th, 1842, the Recorder (Mr. Isaac Jermy) sentenced him to two calendar months’ imprisonment, ordered him to find two sureties and keep the peace for twelve months, and to remain in custody until such sureties were forthcoming.
November 17th 1841
At the dinner of the Marham Hunt, held at the Crown Inn, Swaffham, Mr. Henry Villebois was presented with a silver candelabrum, weighing 200 oz., in recognition of “the liberal and sporting manner in which he had contributed to the general amusement” of the members of the Hunt.
November 19th 1841
A meeting of landowners and others was held at Yarmouth, for the purpose of considering a scheme proposed by Mr. Robert Stephenson, for constructing a railway from Yarmouth to Norwich. Two other proposed railways were before the public, and in both cases it was proposed to construct bridges over the river. Mr. Stephenson’s railway, first known as the Valley Line, pursued a route which obviated the necessity of crossing the river, but the scheme included a plan for diverting the course of the stream at Thorpe for a distance of about 50 chains. The scheme, which was estimated to cost £150,000, was adopted, and the line, the first to be opened in Norfolk, was called afterwards the Yarmouth and Norwich Railway.
November 24th 1841
The celebrated Distin family gave the first of three concerts at the Theatre Royal, Norwich.
November 27th 1841
“The memorial statue of the late venerable Bishop Bathurst, by the far-famed hand of Chantrey, has been erected this week in Norwich Cathedral.” This was the last work of Chantrey, who died in London shortly after his departure from Norwich. “The estimate for the monument of Bishop Bathurst was £2,500; Chantrey took it for £1,500; the block of Carrara marble alone must have cost him nearly £1,000.”
November 27th 1841
The Census returns were published on this date. The statistics affecting Norwich were as follow:—Houses, inhabited, 13,889; uninhabited, 805; building, 53; persons—males, 28,014; females, 33,832; total, 61,846. The population of Norfolk, exclusive of Norwich, was 350,775.
December 7th 1841
A flood occurred at Norwich, after twenty-four hours’ rain. It was the sixth that had taken place since October 5th. “The waters were as high if not higher than on any former inundation of our marshes.”
December 23rd 1841
The Phenomena coach, with its Christmas load, started from Norwich, drawn by a team of six greys, “which were all managed by Mr. Thomas Wiggins, in a style which would have done credit to a first-rate whip, and which was never before attempted by any coachman on the road.”
December 24th 1841
“We have lately had exhibited in Norwich a new system of skaiting on the saloon in the Ranelagh Gardens and at the Corn Exchange. It is called Tachypos, and is a kind of skait each running on two iron wheels about six inches in diameter, and fastens on to the foot in a similar way to the common skait, with protection to the legs up to the knees. With these persons may travel at the rate of nine miles an hour upon the common road. The Tachypos is invented by Mr. J. Ayton, of this city, and differs considerably from the Tachypos lately exhibited at the principal theatres in London. There are at this moment boys exhibiting upon them, and are cutting round the corners and corn-stands with all imaginable ease and rapidity.”
December 24th 1841
Wombwell’s Menagerie arrived at Norwich, and was exhibited on the Castle Hill. The collection included a pair of giraffes, one of which was killed by an accidental fall. “The elephant is a magnificent animal, but we think the walking exercise which Van Amburgh’s elephant is obliged to take, instead of being drawn from place to place by some twelve horses, conduces to a clearer complexion and a better state of health.” For the first time, Wombwell advertised that he had a keeper “who goes into the den of the trained lions and tigers.”