January 1st 1838
The weather on this day was of a beautiful and spring-like character. During the remainder of the week “the moon in her first quarter and the planet Venus made the evenings most brilliant. Never in the memory of man did the old year go out or the new one come in with such splendour as the last and the present. Both days in all respects resembled April or even May much more than December or January.”
January 3rd 1838
A public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, “for the purpose of taking into consideration the present dreadful condition of the negroes, with the view of petitioning both Houses of Parliament for the abolition of the system of apprenticeship.” The Mayor presided, and the principal speakers were Mr. George Thompson, the eloquent advocate of the negroes’ cause, and Mr. Thomas Fowell Buxton. Similar meetings were held in various parts of the county.
January 5th 1838
The new District Schools at St. Augustine’s Gates, Norwich, were opened by the Lord Bishop. They were intended to accommodate 450 children, and were supported by voluntary subscriptions.
January 6th 1838
Wintry weather set in with great severity. The frost commenced on the 7th, and continued to increase in intensity till the 20th, “when the thermometer recorded 30 degrees below freezing point, a depression greater than in the intense frost of 1814, when, on January 9th, it stood at 28 degrees below freezing.” There was a thaw on the 21st, but on the 23rd the frost recommenced, and on the 24th the weather was bitterly cold. Remarkable snowdrifts occurred on roads near the coast. “The river at Lynn was a solid bed of ice. From the eastern side to the opposite shores of West Lynn and North Lynn persons passed and re-passed with the same facility and safety as if it had been land. A similar circumstance had not occurred for half a century.” A second thaw, with a southerly wind, commenced on the 29th, but on February 1st the wind veered to the east, and another frost set in. From February 13th to the 15th the weather was so severe that water indoors was frozen, and on the 16th the thermometer stood at 16 degrees below freezing point. A decided thaw took place on the 22nd, but on the 23rd a fourth frost occurred. In the week commencing March 4th a rapid thaw was followed by heavy rains, ice and snow vanished with surprising rapidity, and business was resumed on the navigable streams, which for so long had been impassable. Throughout the frost “the poulterers were abundantly supplied with British and foreign wild fowl of all descriptions.”
January 12th 1838
Died at Downham Market, in his 69th year, Mr. G. W. Lemon, son of the Rev. G. W. Lemon, formerly vicar of East Walton and rector of Gayton Thorpe. He was for 40 years an annual contributor to “Fulcher’s Ladies’ Pocket Book,” and wrote for the newspaper Press many articles on a variety of subjects.
January 15th 1838
The members of the Norwich Madrigal Society held their first public meeting at the old Library Room, St. Andrew’s Hall. The programme contained a composition by Mr. J. F. Hill, son of Mr. John Hill, the Festival chorus master, entitled, “I saw fair Chloris.” “It is a madrigal truly worthy of the Elizabethan age, and has been recognised as such by the London Madrigal Society, into whose stock it has been received. Not a single modern phrase is to be detected.”
January 18th 1838
The old Norwich Glee Club, revived under the title of “The Norwich Glee and Harmonic Society,” gave its first concert under the conductorship of Mr. Harcourt, organist of St. Stephen’s church.
January 22nd 1838
The tide in Yarmouth Harbour was the lowest ever recorded. “The bed of the river was left dry more than 20 feet from the quay head.”
January 27th 1838
“The severity of the weather has induced several families in the neighbourhood of Holt to adopt the American fashion of travelling in sledges. The greatest curiosity is caused among the natives.”
February 5th 1838
Norwich Theatre was opened for the season with the engagement of the Boleno family, who appeared in a pantomime-ballet, followed by tableaux, &c.
February 7th 1838
At a general meeting of the shareholders of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum, it was resolved “that the property lately used as a public library be purchased, and the building committee authorised to make such alterations and additions thereto as may be requisite for affording accommodation to the Museum, the Literary Institution, the Norfolk and Norwich United Medical Book Society, and any other institution of a literary or scientific nature who may wish to take rooms under the same roof as the Museum, the money to be raised by voluntary donations and shares of £5 each, bearing interest at three per cent. per annum.”
February 9th 1838
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Mr. Bignold moved the appointment of a committee to draw up a petition to both Houses of Parliament in favour of the adoption of the penny postage. The petition was adopted on February 22nd.
February 16th 1838
Died, aged 83, Mr. Edmund Manning, of London Street, Norwich, “the oldest and wealthiest retired tradesman in St. Peter Mancroft.” He was a brazier by trade. “Some property which his father left him with what he had himself industriously acquired, was so parsimoniously hoarded during his long-protracted life it accumulated the immense sum of £70,000, of which between £50,000 and £60,000 were in the Funds. His annual income at the time of his death was upwards of £2,100 a year, and his expenses were probably not 20s. a week. The great bulk of his property was left to distant relations for whom he affected to have no regard, whilst those whose expectations he had raised (even on the day before his death) had reason to be dissatisfied. He gave to Mr. T. S. Norgate £29,000, and to the Rev. T. S. Buckle £14,500, and to Mr. Manning, of London, £14,500. The remainder he has bequeathed, in various sums, from £1 to £300, to friends and acquaintances and to certain charitable institutions. He also bequeathed £4,000 three per cent. Consols to the trustees of the charity schools, the dividends to be applied annually to apprenticing poor boys.”
February 19th 1838
A prize-fight took place at Bedingham, between Cricknell and Balls, of Norwich. “After a contest of 53 minutes, Balls was obliged to give in.”
February 24th 1838
“Died lately, in the Workhouse at Downham Market, at the advanced age of 100 years, Samuel Simpson. He retained his faculties to the last, and was able to walk with astonishing alacrity.”
February 24th 1838
“We cannot but lament the loss which science sustains in the death of Mr. Samuel Woodward. He was an excellent geologist, particularly as regards his native county. His principal works were ‘The Outline of the Geology of Norfolk’ and ‘Synopsis of British Organic Remains.’ He was a skilful and unwearied antiquary, and through his means were recorded many valuable notices of Norfolk antiquities.”
February 24th 1838
The ship Benwell, Captain Moody, 300 tons burden, bound from Newcastle to London, with a cargo valued at £20,000, was lost on Sheringham Shoals. “The crew of eleven hands, two male and five female passengers, were landed on Burnham beach almost in a state of nudity.”
March 5th 1838
Died, aged 82, Mr. Edward Roger Pratt, of Ryston House, near Downham Market, “of whom it may be said that he exhibited in every relation of life a perfect picture of the old English gentleman.” On the death of Sir Jacob Astley, in 1817, he unsuccessfully contested the county.
March 12th 1838
Lord Suffield’s staghounds met on Crostwight Common. The stag crossed the road to Beeston Hall, and ran thence by Rackheath to Wroxham, Salhouse, Woodbastwick, Ranworth, Burlingham, Upton, and Acle; crossed the Bure and made for Stokesby, Thrigby, and Caister, going within a mile of Yarmouth. He then took to Breydon, where he was secured. Distance from point to point, 18 miles; country covered, from 25 to 30 miles.
March 16th 1838
At the meeting of the county magistrates, at Norwich, it was decided that in future the Quarter Sessions be adjourned to Swaffham instead of to Lynn.
March 17th 1838
Died at Diss, in his 83rd year, Mr. Meadows Taylor. “It is a singular fact that Mr. Taylor and his uncle, the late Mr. Meadows, had carried on business as solicitors in the same town and the same house for the long period of 97 years.”
March 19th 1838
Died, Mr. Thomas Bray, farmer, of Diss, aged 79. “He was the sole proprietor of Bray’s Diss waggon, which has travelled over the road under the same name for upwards of a century. He was interred on the 26th, when the hearse was followed by his children and descendants in eight gigs.”
March 22nd 1838
Henry Pettett, a convict under sentence of fifteen years’ transportation for horse stealing, broke out of his cell at Norwich Castle. “He made a rope of his blanket, which he tied round a ring in his cell and the rest round his irons, to prevent their clanking, and let himself down into the arch. Thence he proceeded to the top of the Castle, but suddenly falling down he pitched his head into a bucket, by which he was somewhat seriously injured.”
March 28th 1838
In a letter addressed to the officers, non-commissioned officers, and privates of the Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry, Lord Sondes announced that the Government had disbanded a great part of the Yeomanry force raised under precisely similar conditions to their own. He added that he had resigned his commission as Major-Commandant, and advised the regiment to disband themselves and not wait to be dismissed. The Lord Lieutenant afterwards appointed Capt. Loftus to the vacant command; and the Dereham troop, partially disorganized by Lord Sondes’ resignation, was re-formed in the Eastern division as the Hingham troop, and placed under the command of Captain Ives. The uniform of the regiment at this date “was like that of the 2nd Life Guards, with silver instead of gold lace.”
March 28th 1838
Sir James Flower, of Eccles Hall, accompanied by Lady Flower, arrived in Norwich to attend the Judges of Assize as High Sheriff of Norfolk. He was escorted to the Swan Inn by a cavalcade of farmers. At Attleborough and Wymondham crowds of people welcomed the High Sheriff with bands of music. Throughout the Assize week he gave official and other dinners, upon a scale of princely magnificence, and the festivities, for such they were, concluded with a bespeak at the Theatre, where “Mr. Martin sang the song of the Eccles Hunt, ‘The Apple-green Coats with the Collars of Blue.’”
March 30th 1838
Died at Little Walsingham, Mrs. Elizabeth Jackson, aged 82. “She was one of the earliest supporters of the Wesleyan Methodists in Lynn, and often enjoyed the honour of entertaining the venerable founder of the society, the late Rev. John Wesley, Dr. Coke, and others.”
March 31st 1838
“Last week was buried, at Diss church, Susanna Baldry, widow, in the 104th year of her age. She was born in the year 1734, in the seventh of George II., and was a subject of four Kings and a Queen.”
March 31st 1838
“We regret to announce the death, in his 77th year, of Lord Berners, so long known as the sporting Col. Wilson, of Newmarket. His lordship’s falconry establishment at Didlington was also well known, as he gave annually several flights of hawks at the Newmarket meetings.” His horse Phosphorus won the Derby in 1837. His lordship was succeeded in his title and estates by his brother, the Rev. Henry Wilson.
April 4th 1838
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Baron Bolland, Jonathan Whitley Cooper, gentleman, was placed at the bar charged with the wilful murder of Cornelius Moor, at Catton. Mr. Byles and Mr. Roberts were for the prosecution, and Mr. Fitzroy Kelly, Mr. O’Mally, and Mr. William Cooper for the defence. The jury returned a verdict of not guilty of murder, but guilty of manslaughter. A verdict of acquittal was taken in the further charge against the prisoner of maliciously shooting at a man named Ford. He was sentenced to be imprisoned in the House of Correction for one year.
April 11th 1838
An election petition, presented by Mr. T. O. Springfield and others, against the return of Mr. Edmond Wodehouse and Mr. H. N. Burroughes for East Norfolk, was withdrawn.
April 16th 1838
The popular burletta, “Jim Crow, or the Flight to America,” was produced at Norwich Theatre. Mr. Dunn appeared as Jim Crow, and “gave the celebrated song as sung by him upwards of 3,000 times.” “We dare scarcely give our opinion of this composition, finding ourselves, as we do, at such complete variance with the taste of the great Metropolis, which has run wild in ecstatic enthusiasm over this precious piece of jingling nonsense.”
April 18th 1838
Died at Binham, aged 89, Thomas Row, “the last of a body of woolcombers who had been employed there from time immemorial.”
April 23rd 1838
The cuckoo was not heard until this date, “being the latest indication of the vernal season since 1767, in which year it did not sing till May 7th, and the latest ever known in 51 years, according to the late Mr. Marsham’s observations at Stratton Strawless.”
April 28th 1838
The hearing of the petition against the return of Mr. C. E. Rumbold and Mr. William Wilshere, as members for Yarmouth, commenced before a Committee of the House of Commons. “A compromise was effected, by which one of the members vacates, and Mr. Baring is to succeed. Counsel for the petitioners unfolded a scene of profligate corruption to an unparalleled extent. If the petition had been prosecuted with the vindictive feeling and party spirit exhibited on a former occasion, the committals to Newgate would have been so numerous and the prosecutions so sweeping as to have carried ruin into many of the principal families.” At the election, which took place on August 23rd, Mr. Baring was opposed by Mr. Wilshere, and the poll was declared as follows:—Wilshere, 735; Baring, 702. “A poor man who felt much interest in the result of the election declared that if Mr. Baring lost he would hang himself in less than an hour after the poll closed, and he actually did it.”
May 7th 1838
Mr. Sinclair, of Drury Lane and Covent Garden, appeared for a short season, commencing on this date, in a round of operatic parts at Norwich Theatre, after an absence of seventeen years.
May 9th 1838
The Norwich Town Council adopted, on the motion of Mr. Barwell, a memorial to the Board of Trade in favour of the establishment of a school of design.
May 11th 1838
A Committee of the House of Commons commenced the hearing of the petition of Isaac Wiseman and others against the return of the Hon. Robert Campbell Scarlett and the Marquis of Douro, as members for the city of Norwich. The principal allegations were bribery and corruption and the improper keeping of the poll. On May 12th, after an examination of the poll-books, the Committee passed the following resolution:—“That Arthur Wellesley, commonly called the Marquis of Douro, is duly elected; that Robert Campbell Scarlett is not duly elected; and that Benjamin Smith is duly elected, and ought to have been returned.” The Orange and Purple Club, at a meeting held at the Norfolk Hotel, on May 30th, under the presidency of Mr. W. J. Utten Browne, voted an address to Mr. Scarlett, acknowledging the services he had rendered to the Conservative cause.
May 18th 1838
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Mr. Brightwell moved that a petition be presented to the House of Commons in favour of a national system of education. The proposed petition stated that “every individual in the country in early life, without regard to sect or party, should be afforded the opportunity of obtaining the elements of useful knowledge and an acquaintance with the sacred Scriptures.” Mr. Barwell seconded. Mr. Seppings moved, as an amendment, the insertion of the clause: “Your petitioners pray that you will not sanction any schemes of education which do not include with the daily reading of the Holy Scriptures a full measure of religious instruction based upon the Word of God, nor any general system of national education which does not secure the careful assistance and superintendence of the National Church.” The amendment was negatived, and the original motion adopted.
May 24th 1838
At Norwich Theatre was performed for the first time a drama entitled, “The Siege of Lynn.” Another new piece was produced on May 31st, called “Pickwick, or the Sayings and Doings of Sam Weller.”
May 26th 1838
John Folker, a mariner, who had seen much active service, died at Lynn at the age of 86. “He was the only survivor of the many Lynn seamen who fought in the memorable battle of April 12th, 1782, when the British Fleet, under the command of Sir George Bridges Rodney (afterwards Lord Rodney), engaged and defeated the French Fleet, under Count de Grasse, in the West Indies. Folker steered Admiral Rodney’s flagship through the whole of that eventful conflict. He was buried in St. Margaret’s churchyard, and was carried to the grave by six seamen on a bier over which was the Union flag, supported by six naval warriors who had served on board the British Fleet.”
June 2nd 1838
“It was Mr. George Borrow, formerly of this city, who was arrested in Spain for publishing the Testament in Spanish and the translation of the Gospel of St. Luke into the gipsy language, but was liberated at Sir George Villiers’ request. Count Ofalia declared that Mr. Borrow had been discharged from his confinement with unspotted honour and reputation. He, moreover, ordered the policeman on whose evidence he had been arrested to be punished, and promised the expenses should be paid by the Government.”
June 17th 1838
Upwell church was opened after restoration. The Bishop of Norwich, who preached the sermon, referred to “the boundless munificence of the Rev. W. Gale Townley, through whose exertions and mainly at his expense had been produced one of the most richly ornamented edifices in the kingdom.”
June 19th 1838
Pockthorpe Guild was held at Norwich. “The annual amusements took place, and the ‘Mayor,’ upon taking office, delivered an address on the green at Patteson’s Cellar House, to the effect that he would endeavour to remove the duty off tea and sugar, which was received with great cheering. The evening terminated with the accustomed sports, as climbing the greasy pole, grinning through collars, and a variety of other entertainments. The celebration of the anniversary of Pockthorpe Guild can be traced as far back as the year 1772.”
June 28th 1838
The Coronation of Queen Victoria was celebrated in Norwich with great rejoicings. At half-past ten the Mayor and members of the Corporation assembled at the Free School, and proceeded thence to the Cathedral, where the sermon was preached by the Rev. Samuel Stone, the Mayor’s chaplain, from the text, “And who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” (Esther iv. 14.) The “Hallelujah Chorus” was rendered. At noon a troop of the 4th Dragoon Guards, under Major Makepeace, formed up in the Market Place “and fired a _feu de joie_ with their pistols, and afterwards gave three cheers, flourishing their drawn swords above their heads in honour of the Queen.” The officers then retired to the Guildhall, where the Mayor, in the presence of a large company, proposed the Queen’s health. The parishioners of St. Peter Mancroft entertained, at the Corn Exchange, 750 poor persons, and similar feasts were given to the poor of other parishes. One thousand workpeople employed at the Yarn Factory dined in ten parties at ten public-houses, and formed afterwards an imposing procession, with Mr. Bignold at their head. In the evening the city was illuminated, and there was a grand display of fireworks in the Market Place. The Mayor entertained 160 guests at dinner at Chapel Field House, and the members of the Orange and Purple Club dined at the Theatre, “which, by throwing a flooring of boards from the stage over the pit, was converted into a commodious banqueting room. In the background was a drop scene, giving a view of St. Andrew’s Hall on a banqueting day.” Mr. W. J. Utten Browne presided, and many ladies who graced the gathering by their attendance were provided with seats in the dress circle. Similar celebrations took place at Yarmouth, Lynn, and other towns in the county. Every village commemorated the event, “and everywhere it was a joyous day, for The squire’s wide hall And the cottage small Were full of good English cheer.” On the 29th the Corporation of Norwich held a special meeting, and voted an address to the Queen, “after a long and angry debate, in consequence of the address containing sentiments in which the Conservative party could not concur.” The result was the framing of another address, signed by 5,000 freemen, freeholders, and citizens, praying her Majesty “to preserve inviolate the Union between Church and State.”
June 28th 1838
The Norwich Race Meeting, called on this occasion the “Coronation Races,” took place on Mousehold Heath, and was attended by 30,000 spectators.
July 6th 1838
At the county magistrates’ meeting, at Norwich, a resolution was adopted for the erection of a new Shirehall at Swaffham, and at the meeting on October 9th a committee was appointed to further the scheme, which was estimated to cost £1,750. On January 4th, 1839, the justices ordered the carrying out of plans prepared by Mr. Browne, the cost not to exceed £2,141.
July 7th 1838
“A handsome boat, completely fitted out as a phaeton, has been built by Mr. Philip Neale, of St. Giles’s Gates, and is now exhibited to the public. It is built for a sporting gentleman, and is capable of containing bedding and luggage, the fore part being enclosed by hatches, and altogether of a novel description.”
July 11th 1838
A meeting of Norwich camlet weavers was held at the Green Hill Gardens, for the purpose of hearing a report from the deputation sent to Yorkshire by the union to enquire into the truth of the statement of the employers with reference to the cause of the reduction of wages, namely, the great quantity of camlets manufactured in and exported from Yorkshire. It was resolved, after hearing the deputation, “that the proposed reduction was perfectly unnecessary, and that they were determined to support a strike by all legal means in their power.” The business of Mr. Robberds was obstructed by persons being prevented from taking work at reduced prices. On August 27th a number of weavers complained to the magistrates that they had been subjected to intimidation on proceeding to work at Mr. Robberds’, and on the 29th they were escorted to the factory by a large force of police. The military were held in readiness in case of disturbance. In consequence of work having been cut from the looms, the houses of all the weavers were strongly guarded.
July 19th 1838
Mr. Owen, of New Lanark, expounded “his visionary projects for the new organization and classification of society,” in a series of lectures which commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, on this date.
July 23rd 1838
A remarkable case of body-stealing came before the Norwich magistrates. Mary Maxey, the widow of John Maxey, complained that Mr. George Perowne, a veterinary surgeon, practising in the parish of All Saints, had gone to her house during her absence and removed the body of her husband, who died on July 8th. On the 12th she saw the body at Mr. Perowne’s, where the deceased had formerly worked; and on the 14th she saw it again, but the heart had been taken out and the corpse otherwise “cut and hackled.” On the 15th, accompanied by the mourners, she went to take the body away for burial, but Mr. Perowne drove them out of the yard with a gun, alleging that the corpse was his property, and that he had paid for it sixteen years previously. It was afterwards taken to the steeple of All Saints’ church, where it remained without a shroud. Mr. Perowne was too drunk to appear at court on that day, but he was apprehended, and on the 24th taken before the magistrates, to whom he stated that he had purchased the body of the deceased during his lifetime, and contended that it was his property. He had “cut it up” in the interests of science. The magistrates reminded Mr. Perowne that his practice did not require a knowledge of the anatomy of the human body, and that his premises were not licensed for anatomical studies. Mr. Perowne replied that he was a member of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. The Bench committed him for trial at the Assizes, which were held on August 6th, before Mr. Justice Littledale, who said he understood that no bill would be presented in the case. The accused was called upon and formally discharged.
July 30th 1838
Mr. Farren, of Drury Lane and Covent Garden, commenced a six nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, as Lord Ogleby (“The Clandestine Marriage”). His other characters were Uncle Foozle, Sir Peter Teazle, Pierre Galliard (“The Soldier of 102”), Admiral Kingston (“Naval Engagements”), Robert Bramble (“The Poor Gentleman”), Odbody (“Advice Gratis”), Sir Abel Hardy (“Speed the Plough”), &c. Mr. Farren afterwards performed at Yarmouth Theatre.
July 30th 1838
Violent hailstorms, accompanied by thunder and lightning, occurred in many parts of the county. At Cockley Cley great damage was done. “Pieces of ice as big as walnuts were found lying under the hedges next morning, and the turnips were out into shreds.”
August 1st 1838
This being the day on which the “negro apprentices” of the West Indies were admitted to freedom, the event was commemorated by a united prayer meeting, presided over by Mr. Alexander, at Prince’s Street chapel, Norwich.
August 2nd 1838
A “foot-steeplechase” took place at Whitlingham. The competitors had to pass several times through the river. The event was chiefly remarkable for “the perfect deluge of base coin put in circulation by the swell mob from London.” The landlord of Whitlingham Gardens alone took £4 worth of bad silver. In the disturbance which ensued a constable named Hansell had his leg broken.
August 3rd 1838
The High Sheriff (Sir James Flower) arrived at Norwich to attend the Judges of Assize, Mr. Justice Parke and Mr. Justice Littledale. With Lady Flower he took up his quarters at the Norfolk Hotel, and, as at previous Assizes, dispensed hospitality with most ostentatious liberality.
August 13th 1838
Died in Norwich, aged 38, Mr. Horatio Beevor Love, portrait painter.
August 17th 1838
Died at her house in Surrey Street, Norwich, in her 96th year, Miss Elizabeth Lany, the last survivor of the three daughters and sole children of the Rev. Benjamin Lany, rector of Mulbarton. “On both paternal and maternal sides she was allied to some of the best families in Norfolk and Suffolk.”
August 21st 1838
A grand bazaar was held at the New Inn, Cromer, in aid of the fund for maintaining the “defence wall.” After the sale “the jetty, the Victoria Parade (between the walls), and the cliffs were thronged with fashionable promenaders,” and in the evening “120 ladies and gentlemen repaired to the New Inn ball room, where quadrilles and waltzes were got up.”
August 28th 1838
This was the hottest day of the summer. The thermometer stood at 83° in the shade. A thunderstorm occurred in the evening, and Mrs. Roach, a schoolmistress at Wroxham, was killed by lightning. The weather on the 29th was cold, wet, and boisterous.
September 1st 1838
A white sparrowhawk was shot in Lakenham valley.
September 6th 1838
The “London Gazette” of this date contained the announcement that the Queen had granted to Mr. Isaac Preston, of Stanfield Hall, Recorder of Norwich, her Royal licence and authority to use the surname of Jermy, in lieu of that of Preston.
September 8th 1838
“A porpoise, weighing 1 cwt. and upwards, was lately taken at West Somerton, near the free staith adjoining lands occupied by Mr. H. M. Thompson. Its length was 5 ft. 3 in., and after being boiled it produced 5½ gallons of oil. The distance from the sea is at least 25 miles.”
September 10th 1838
Mdlle. Placci gave an Italian concert at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich. She was assisted by Signor Paltoni, Signor Bogrey, Signor Puzzi (horn), and Mr. Harcourt (pianoforte).
September 12th 1838
A public meeting was held in Surlingham parish church, presided over by the Rev. E. Day, rector of Kirby, in aid of the Church Missionary Society. Addresses were given by the Hon. and Rev. J. T. Pelham, the Rev. E. C. Brewer, Mr. W. Sparkes, and the Rev. J. Patteson. Similar meetings, some of a purely secular character, were held in parish churches at this date.
September 20th 1838
Mr. Joseph Wiggins, a well-known and popular coachman, was presented, at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, with a handsome silver cup, “in testimony of the respect for his general good conduct during his dragmanship of eleven years on the Norwich and Lynn road.”
September 21st 1838
The Norwich fillover weavers passed a resolution “that the system of copying patterns from manufactured fillover work, as is now practised by Scotch manufacturers, is the principal cause of the depression of our branch of the manufacture, and loudly appeals to the Legislature for their interference.”
September 24th 1838
An extraordinary riot occurred at Stanfield Hall, the seat of Mr. Isaac Jermy. The mob, led by a person named Larner, who professed to be a claimant to the Stanfield property, took forcible possession of the mansion. The 4th Dragoon Guards were summoned from Norwich to aid the civil power. The intruder and his followers were expelled from the premises, and about 80 taken into custody and lodged in Norwich Castle. At the Norfolk Assizes, on April 13th, 1839, before Mr. Justice Vaugham, 70 of the accused were sentenced to one week’s imprisonment, and the remainder to terms varying from three months to two months.
October 6th 1838
“A female specimen of the Peregrine falcon was lately shot by Mr. Walter Roper, of Norwich, whilst it was in the act of stooping at some pigeons at Duke’s Palace Bridge. It is almost an unprecedented occurrence for a bird of retired habits like the peregrine, and so rare in Norfolk, to have been killed in the centre of a large city.”
October 11th 1838
During a gale in the night, 2,000 sail of ships sought refuge in Yarmouth Roads. “To supply their wants more than £3,000 were laid out in Yarmouth on Saturday alone, and the butchers were obliged to kill every bullock, sheep, &c., that they could get.”
October 15th 1838
The Hingham Troop of Yeomanry Cavalry, commanded by Capt. Ives, were presented with a standard by the Lord Lieutenant of the county.
October 20th 1838
“The match trade, which for many years has been an excuse for begging, is likely soon to be ruined by the superior demand for lucifers for obtaining an instantaneous light, which are now selling at so cheap a rate. One tradesman alone in Norwich (Mr. Wiles, of Exchange Street) has had delivered this week by water and land carriage 20,000 boxes.”
October 28th 1838
The Chartist movement commenced in Norwich. Mr. J. R. Stephens, from Ashton, and Mr. Julian Harney addressed meetings in the Market Place in support of the “people’s charter,” which, amongst other things, demanded universal suffrage, annual Parliaments, the ballot, and the non-property qualification for members of Parliament. On the 29th a meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, the use of which was granted by the Mayor.
November 5th 1838
A meeting was held at Yarmouth in furtherance of the movement for decreasing the hours of shop assistants. The employers were asked to close their shops at eight o’clock from Michaelmas to Lady Day, and at nine in the summer months, except on Saturday, when they should close at ten o’clock in the evening. Like meetings were held at Norwich and Lynn.
November 9th 1838
Mr. John Marshall was elected Mayor of Norwich, and Mr. Henry Woodcock appointed Sheriff.
November 10th 1838
The completion of the building of the new chimney of the Yarn Factory near Whitefriars Bridge, Norwich, “was celebrated by a band of music placed on the top playing national airs and ‘God save the Queen,’ accompanied by the workmen joining in chorus, when a flag was hoisted and several guns fired from the top. The shaft is 165 feet high, with a coping of cast-iron weighing upwards of 4 tons.” The builders were Mr. Everett Cattermoul and Mr. C. Darkins.
November 22nd 1838
Tom Allen, “the faithful servant of Lord Nelson,” died at Greenwich Hospital. He was born at Burnham Thorpe, in 1764, and joined the Navy in 1793. He first served on board the Agamemnon, under the command of Captain Nelson. After the death of Nelson, Allen entered the service of Sir William Boston, R.N., at Costessey, and by the influence of Sir Thomas Hardy, one of the Lords of the Admiralty, was enabled to end his days at Greenwich.
November 24th 1838
Died in Norwich, Mr. James Lambe, aged 56. “He was well known to the managers of the Festivals and to many musical people as a noted and accurate copyist. His endowments were not of an ordinary kind. He was a ready versifier, with considerable humour and some share of imagination. With the works of Shakespeare, Milton, and the poets of Queen Anne’s time he was intimately acquainted. He had lived on terms of familiarity with Crabbe, to whom he had acted as amanuensis. Like many other sons of genius, he had endured the extremes of poverty; but under every privation and under many temptations he uniformly preserved his cheerfulness and his integrity. His latter years were passed in comparative comfort, through the kindness of a professional gentleman, who gave him constant employment.”
November 26th 1838
North Walsham was lighted with gas for the first time, in celebration of which a band of music paraded the town and a dinner took place at the King’s Arms Inn. The gas works were erected by Mr. John Malem.
November 26th 1838
The sloop Volharden, of Flushing, with a crew of nine hands, was brought into Yarmouth Roads by the Badger Revenue cutter, Lieut. R. Perceval, R.N., on suspicion of smuggling. Spirits in large quantities were found on board. Two of the crew were sentenced to six months’ imprisonment by the Yarmouth magistrates on December 7th. Lieut. Perceval recommended them to mercy, on the ground that they had rendered valuable assistance to the Badger when she was in difficulties, and the sentences were commuted to three months’ imprisonment.
December 3rd 1838
A fine specimen of the little bustard was shot in a turnip field at Old Buckenham.
December 3rd 1838
Cushing and Smith, Norwich pugilists, seconded by Cricknell and Perowne, fought 13 severe rounds on Mousehold Heath. Throughout Cushing had the advantage of his opponent, and won.
December 6th 1838
The Royal Amphitheatre and Circus at the Pantheon, Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, opened for the season, under the management of Mr. Atkins. In addition to the circus performance, equestrian spectacles, ballets, “musical soirées,” and comic pantomimes were produced.
December 14th 1838
The “London Gazette” of this date contained the announcement that the 4th Royal Irish Dragoons, a portion of which regiment was then stationed in Norwich, had permission to wear upon their standards and appointments the harp, crown, and star of the most illustrious Order of St. Patrick.
December 18th 1838
Died in Friar’s Street, Lynn, Mrs. Ann Larner, aged 100 years.
December 22nd 1838
The weight of turkeys sent by Messrs. Mack and Co.’s. van from Norwich to London on this day was 6 tons 18 cwt.; before the end of the journey the load was increased to 10 tons.
December 26th 1838
The Theatre Royal, Norwich, was occupied during the Christmas holidays by Mr. Ducrow’s equestrian company from the Royal Amphitheatre, London. Among the pageants produced were “Charlemagne,” “St. George and the Dragon,” “Mazeppa,” and “Timour the Tartar.” The season closed on January 26th, 1839.