January 1st 1836
The first quarterly meeting of the new City Council was held at the Guildhall, Norwich. Mr. T. O. Springfield was elected Mayor.
January 4th 1836
The first act of the Yarmouth reformed Town Council was to remove from office the Earl of Orford, Lord High Steward of the borough, and to elect the Earl of Lichfield in his place. The Earl, writing from Wolterton on January 26th, informed the Mayor that the only intimation he had received of his dismissal was through the newspaper paragraph in which it was announced, and added: “The honour which your late Corporation conferred upon me was received with pride and gratitude. My dismissal by the present Corporation confers almost equal honour, upon, Sir, your obedient servant, ORFORD.”
January 13th 1836
The Norwich Corporation voted an address to his Majesty, expressing gratitude to him for effecting the moral alterations in the state of his Empire called for by the progress of knowledge, and confidence in his Majesty’s advisers, and promising to make effectual for the general happiness, comfort, and prosperity of the citizens the new Corporation Act, under authority of which they were met together.
January 22nd 1836
Italian opera was produced at Norwich Theatre, under the management of Miss Leslie. The works included “Il Barbiere di Siviligia,” “La Ceverentola,” and “Il Don Giovanni.” The principal artistes were Madame Carri Paltoni, Miss M. A. Leslie, Signor De Val, Signor Paltoni, Signor Giubelli, Signora Cellini, and Signor Tryano. Mr. Schipins was conductor, and Mr. T. Jackson leader.
January 26th 1836
A meeting was held at the Town Hall, Lynn, to petition Parliament to grant a Committee to enquire into the distresses of agriculture. The High Sheriff (Mr. Hudson Gurney) presided. It was represented that the price of corn and wheat was barely equal to what it was in 1793, while the taxation of the country was three times greater than at that period. The meeting agreed that the prices of agricultural produce be raised to meet existing burdens, or such burdens be lowered to meet existing prices.
February 1st 1836
Mr. Sheridan Knowles and Miss Elphinstone made their first appearance in a four nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, as Master Walter and Julia, in his play “The Hunchback.” They also appeared on ensuing evenings as St. Pierre and Mariana (“The Wife”), Pierre and Velerdera (“Venice Preserved”), William Tell and Emma (“William Tell”), and as Petruchio and Catherine.
February 7th 1836
Died, aged 71, Mr. Richard Langton, many years librarian at the Public Library, Norwich.
February 17th 1836
The north segment of North Walsham steeple was blown down. The bells fell in a mass of ruins.
February 17th 1836
During a heavy gale at Yarmouth the tide overflowed many parts of the Quay, and inundated the houses. The foundations of several buildings fronting the beach were undermined by the water, and the sands presented a scene of devastation and ruin.
February 20th 1836
A facing of brickwork by which the south side of the Guildhall had been disfigured for more than a century was removed and replaced by a beautiful specimen of flint work and masonry, from designs by Mr. J. Stannard, architect.
February 21st 1836
Died at Ipswich, aged 64, Mrs. Cockle, daughter of Mr. Charles Roope, of Pulham Market. “She was well-known as the author of some valuable works on female education, and of literary and poetical productions.”
February 25th 1836
The Northern and Eastern Railway Bill, for making a line from London to Cambridge, and thence to Norwich and Yarmouth, as planned by Mr. James Walker, was read a first time in the House of Commons. It passed the remaining stages, and was read a third time in the House of Lords on July 27th. On February 25th also the Commons Committee on the Eastern Counties Railway Bill determined that the standing orders had been complied with. This Bill was read a first time on March 10th. During that month a deputation from the London directors met the friends and supporters of the line at Norwich, Lynn, and Yarmouth; and on April 14th petitions in favour of the railway were presented in the House of Commons from Norwich by Lord Stormont, and from Yarmouth by Mr. Praed. The second reading was carried by a majority of 74. Mr. Gladstone remarked, in the course of the debate, that the petition from Norwich “had been got up by the foulest means—by means of eating and drinking. Every person who went in and put his name to the petition got a good lunch.” On May 2nd and 3rd Norwich and Norfolk witnesses gave evidence in favour of the Bill, which was read a third time on June 1st. It was announced on July 2nd that the Bill had passed through all stages in both Houses of Parliament.
March 1st 1836
The new police went on duty for the first time at Norwich. “The 18 new policemen under the superintendence of Mr. Wright appeared for the first time on Tuesday last in an uniform dark blue dress with waterproof capes similar to those worn by the police in London.”
March 5th 1836
Died at his house in King Street, aged 69, Mr. William Taylor, “a gentleman whose intellectual endowments and extraordinary range of varied acquirements had gained for his name a celebrity which, far from being confined within the walls of his native city, extended itself widely through the world of British, European, and Trans-Atlantic literature. The friend and biographer of Dr. Sayers, the associate of Dr. Southey and other distinguished characters, Mr. Taylor stood pre-eminent for his scholastic and critical knowledge of the great writers of Germany.”
March 12th 1836
“The Gas Company of this city (Norwich) have determined to reduce the price to those who consume by meter from 13s. per 1,000 cubic feet to 10s. This reduction will place Norwich in a much better situation than almost any town in the kingdom.”
March 22nd 1836
Five hundred children under seven years of age assembled at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, and underwent the system of examination introduced by Mr. Wilderspin, the originator of infant schools. On April 7th a public meeting was held at the Guildhall, at which it was decided to establish a society to promote the extension of the infant school system in the county and city.
March 22nd 1836
Died, suddenly, of apoplexy, while hunting with Sir James Flowers’ hounds at Tibenham, Mr. William Chambers, of Norwich, who served the office of Sheriff from Michaelmas, 1834, to January 1st of this year, and was the last Sheriff elected under the old system. Mr. Chambers was in his 45th year.
March 24th 1836
Died at his house in Bethel Street, Norwich, aged 62, Mr. Robert Hawkes, who was elected Alderman of the Mancroft Ward in 1818, served the office of Sheriff in 1819, and that of Mayor in 1822. In consequence of Mr. Hawkes’ death, the Judges of Assize, whose official lodgings were at his house, were invited by the Very Rev. Dr. Pellew to stay at the Deanery. At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, on April 8th, the thanks of the county were accorded to Dr. Pellew.
March 29th 1836
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Gaselee, the case of John Pilgrim was further respited, in consequence of the illness of one of the prosecutors. (There is no further record of this case.)
April 1st 1836
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Gaselee, Peter Taylor was found guilty, as an accessary before the fact, of the murder of Mary Taylor, his wife, at Burnham Westgate, on March 12th, 1835. The prosecution arose out of the trial of the women Frarey and Billing, who were executed as principals in the murder. Taylor, who to the last protested his innocence, was hanged on the Castle Hill, Norwich, on April 23rd.
April 1st 1836
At the same Assizes, before Mr. Justice Gaselee, John Sucker (23), Thomas Bassett (40), Joseph Bruce (21), Thomas Dawes (25), and James Staines (37) were indicted, Sucker and Bassett for the murder of William Case, on November 30th, 1835, and the other prisoners for aiding and assisting in the commission of the crime while poaching on the lands of Mr. W. L. Jones, at Methwold. They were found guilty and sentenced to death. The jury subsequently delivered to his lordship at the Deanery the following declaration: “Our opinion is that the prisoners were guilty of manslaughter, not murder, and it was our intention so to find had we not been called upon to give our opinion as to the facts.” The execution was deferred for the opinion of the Judges assembled in the Court of Exchequer. On April 23rd Lord Denman stated that the Judges, after hearing counsel on both sides, were of opinion it would not be proper to execute the prisoners for the crime of murder.
April 2nd 1836
A vessel of 500 tons burden, intended for the trade between England and the Mauritius, was launched from the ship-yard of Mr. Richardson, Friars’ Fleet, Lynn.
April 4th 1836
On the occasion of the presentation of a piece of plate to the Rev. A. Goode, of Terrington St. Clement, 800 villagers accompanied the deputation, with flags and banners, and “86 young females attending the Sunday School bore branches of laurel.” The plate was borne upon a tray by “two respectable parishioners,” supported by “some emblematical characters, one of whom personated the renowned Tom Hickathrift, the Marshland giant of the olden time, and the bold defender of the ancient rights of Marshland Smeeth. The representative of Hickathrift delivered an appropriate speech.”
April 8th 1836
At the Norfolk county magistrates’ meeting, Mr. J. Brown was elected Surveyor of the county, and Mr. James Watson surveyor of bridges.
April 8th 1836
The Lord Lieutenant of the county, accompanied by Mr. Samuel Bignold, visited the factory of the Norwich Yarn Company. “There are now 300 workmen, upwards of 60 reelers, and about 200 children constantly at work in the establishment, and the labour bill exceeds £200 a week.”
April 8th 1836
Francis Widdows, “who was upwards of 50 years leader of the company of singers in St. Mary’s chapel,” died at Doughty’s Hospital, Norwich, in his 80th year.
April 13th 1836
One hundred and ninety-five emigrants from villages in the neighbourhood embarked at Friars’ Fleet, Lynn, on board the ship Anne, bound for Quebec. Mr. Daniel Gurney distributed among them Bibles, Prayer-books, &c. Large numbers of emigrants left the county during the spring. By May 17th 1,625 had sailed from Yarmouth. From the same port, on May 25th, sailed the Morning Star, with 212 emigrants, chiefly labourers, from Suffolk, and the Brunswick, with 447 agriculturists from East Norfolk. By July 2nd the total number embarked at Yarmouth for Quebec and Port St. Francis on the St. Lawrence was 3,200.
April 22nd 1836
Died, aged 72, at St. John Timberhill, Norwich, Mr. J. P. Cocksedge, who served the office of Sheriff in 1827.
April 27th 1836
Died, aged 37, “the eccentric and whimsical John Gudgeon, the celebrated shuttle-maker, of Norwich.”
April 28th 1836
In consequence of the Mayor and Sheriff of Norwich having declined to extend the customary patronage to the Theatre, the performance on this night was under “the immediate patronage of the Conservatives of Norwich.” The pieces produced were “The Rivals” and “The Mayor of Garrat.”
April 28th 1836
The three troops of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons stationed at Norwich Cavalry Barracks, marched on their route to Canterbury and Brighton, and were replaced by three troops of the 17th Lancers from Manchester.
April 30th 1836
“The King has been pleased to confer the honour of knighthood on a native of Norwich, Dr. W. J. Hooker, Professor of Botany at Glasgow, and a Companion of the Third Class of the Royal Guelphio Hanoverian Order.”
May 1st 1836
The celebration of May Day, which, from time immemorial, has been observed at Lynn by children parading the streets with garlands of flowers and the sounding of horns, was this year prohibited by the authorities of the borough.
May 25th 1836
Miss Read, a native of the city, appeared at Norwich Theatre as Belvedera (“Venice Preserved”). “Her performance was marked by talent and feeling very creditable in so young an actress.”
May 26th 1836
A specimen of the common plant _valerian rubra_ was exhibited at the show of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society with the following inscription upon the label attached: “This plant was raised from seed found in a cement coffin discovered beneath the ruins of Wymondham Priory church. The period of interment is proved antecedent to 1300.”
May 31st 1836
Married at Kensington, by the Rev. T. B. Murray, the Rev. George William Murray, of Merton College, Oxford, assistant minister of St. Peter’s, Pimlico, fifth son of Charles Murray, formerly of Norwich, to Marianne, second daughter of Major-General Sir William Douglas, K.C.B., of Timperdean, Roxburghshire.
June 4th 1836
“Died lately, aged 68, William Brett, an ingenious and eccentric individual, generally known as ‘Duke Brett,’ of Swaffham, by trade a shoemaker, but a perfect factotum in all manner of handicraft, and a celebrated opium-eater, having for many years consumed large quantities of this drug daily.”
June 8th 1836
At a meeting of the Norwich Town Council, Capt. Money moved a resolution in favour of the admission of the public to the discussions of that body, “because it would make the members more measured in their language, more careful, and more honest.” Mr. Burt moved a negative resolution, and stated that “if they could not restrain their language in the company of gentlemen of education and respectability, they would not do so in the presence of a school of persons casually admitted.” Capt Money’s motion was negatived.
June 28th 1836
A meeting of the directors and proprietors of the Norwich Yarn Company was held at the Guildhall, at which it was stated that the factory was incapable of supplying even one-third of the quantity of yarn required for manufacturing purposes in the city and neighbourhood. It was decided that the capital be increased by the creation of 700 additional shares of £100 each. (_See_ December 1st, 1836.)
July 4th 1836
A novel feat of pedestrianism was performed on the Norwich Cricket Ground, in the presence of a great number of spectators. “Sixty yards of cord were wound round a pole one foot in circumference. The pedestrian took the end of the cord and ran round the pole until the whole was off, which was to be completed in the space of four hours, the distance being computed to be 20 miles. The pedestrian, John Baldwin, a native of Norwich, performed the arduous task in less than three and a half hours.”
July 7th 1836
The Yarmouth Town Council ordered the removal of the Market Cross, upon the petition of certain inhabitants of the borough.
July 9th 1836
“Died, lately, Mr. William Read, farmer, of Dumpling Green, East Dereham. His remains were conveyed to the grave by his express desire in one of his waggons, drawn by four of his best horses, of which he prided himself in having the first in the county, and attended by an immense concourse of persons, drawn together by the novelty of the scene.”
July 9th 1836
Mr. J. Gotobed, one of the proprietors of the Lynn coach, was fined £50 “for having driven away the coach after it had been seized by his Majesty’s officers of Excise for conveying contraband spirits.”
July 16th 1836
“Many hundred tons of oysters have been caught off Cley, where there are very extensive beds, during the last season, and sold to the Kent dealers at less than sixpence a bushel.”
July 19th 1836
The Sandringham Hall Estate was sold by Mr. W. W. Simpson, at the Auction Mart, London, after a spirited competition, for £76,000. It was the property of Mr. Henry Hoste Henly.
July 29th 1836
Died at Longford, Derbyshire, Mr. Edward Coke, brother of Mr. T. W. Coke, of Holkham. Mr. Coke for several Sessions represented Derby in Parliament, and was returned for Norfolk in 1807.
August 1st 1836
Norwich Theatre was re-opened after thorough renovation. Gas light was used for the first time. Mrs. Yates appeared as Rachael (“The Jewess”), and in the petite comedy, “An Actress of All Work,” in which she sustained six distinct characters. On the 6th Mr. Yates appeared in conjunction with his wife. Norwich Theatre was described as “one of the handsomest, most comfortable, and best lighted of the minor theatres in this kingdom.”
August 4th 1836
A two-days’ cricket match, between Yorkshire and Norfolk, commenced on the Norwich Ground. Yorkshire won, by 25 runs.
September 5th 1836
Died, at his residence on the Castle Ditches, Norwich, in his 89th year, Mr. Robert Ward, who served the office of Sheriff in 1800, and was for upwards of 45 years a member of the Court of Guardians.
September 13th 1836
A petition by Mr. Samuel Bignold and Mr. William Rackham on the one part, and Mr. T. O. Springfield on the other part, having been presented to the Lord Chancellor relative to the composition of the trustees of the Norwich charities, the matter was argued on this date before the Master in Chancery, who ruled that in composing the list of trustees he would not admit more than four Dissenters out of the 21; further, that in the execution of their official duties, the trustees should be divided into two classes, and that none but those who were members of the Church of England should have a voice in the presentation to any Church living. On December 23rd the Master presented a draft report, stating the composition of the “Church list” and of the “general list.” The former contained eleven selected from the twenty-one names submitted by Messrs. Springfield, Finch, and Willett, and ten from the twenty-one names submitted by Messrs. Bignold and Rackham. The “general list” contained twelve names submitted by the former and eight by the latter. (_See_ March 18th, 1837.)
September 20th 1836
The Norwich Musical Festival, “for the benefit of the Norfolk and Norwich and West Norfolk Hospitals, the School for the Indigent Blind, the Eye Infirmary, and the Dispensary,” commenced. The principals were Madame Caradori Allan, Miss Bruce, Miss Rainforth, Mrs. A. Shaw, Miss Tipping, Signora Assandri, Signer Ivanoff, Mr. Hobbs, Mr. Hawking, Mr. H. Phillips, Mr. E. Taylor, and Signor Lablach. Messrs. Cramer and Blagrove were leaders of the band, and Sir George Smart conductor. Miscellaneous concerts were given on the evenings of the 20th, 21st, and 22nd; on the morning of the 21st a selection of sacred music and “The Redemption”; on the 22nd “The Creation” and “The Seventh Day”; and on the 23rd “The Christian’s Prayer” and “Israel in Egypt.” The Festival concluded on the night of the 23rd with a fancy dress ball, at which “masks and dominoes” were prohibited.
September 20th 1836
The Wendling Estate, near East Dereham, was sold at Garraway’s, by Mr. Spelman, of Norwich, for £14,000.
September 29th 1836
A new fire escape, invented by the Rev. Mr. Arthy, of Caistor near Norwich, was exhibited in front of the Union Office, Surrey Street. “It consists of a jointed ladder, the first length 10 ft. and seven others 6 ft. 7 in. long, with a pulley inserted in the head of the first length, over which a chain passes, to one end of which a large basket is attached, and two rollers are affixed to the under side of the top length, to enable the ladder to pass freely over the brickwork, and two ropes are attached to the outer sides of the top, to guide the ladder in raising it, to bring it forward where projections occur, and to keep it from slipping either way. After the ladder is raised to the proper height, the ropes pass under the basket to keep it steady in going up or down. The machine is constructed on a small platform, mounted on wheels, and can be conveyed with great rapidity to any given point.”
October 24th 1836
Ole B. Bull, the Norwegian violinist, appeared at a morning concert held at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich. The vocalists were Mdlle. De Angiole, Signor Curioni, and Mr. Bochisa.
November 1st 1836
Municipal elections were held for the first time on this date, under the Municipal Reform Act. At Norwich the contests in the eight wards resulted in the return of eight Conservatives and eight Whig-Radicals.
November 1st 1836
Died at King’s Lynn, Mr. Joseph Waters, for many years a prominent merchant in that town. “This melancholy event took place owing to a violent fright which he received in the Theatre on that day.”
November 4th 1836
In the Court of King’s Bench commenced a long course of litigation in which the Corporation of Norwich was concerned. Sir W. Follett applied for a rule to shew cause why a _quo warranto_ should not be filed calling upon Mr. Thomas Brightwell to show by what authority he claimed to exercise the office of Alderman. It was explained that after the passing of the Municipal Reform Act a certain number of Aldermen were elected for the city. Instead of each being nominated separately, they were all proposed and elected in a batch, which, it was contended, was clearly illegal. The court granted the application. A similar rule was applied for against the Mayor, Mr. Springfield, for, it was argued, if the Aldermen had not themselves been properly elected, they could not elect a Mayor. A rule was also granted in this case. On November 24th the rule was made absolute in the case of Mr. Brightwell, and enlarged in the case of Mr. Springfield. In the Bail Court on the same date Mr. Kelly obtained rules _nisi_ calling upon fourteen persons to show by what authority they took upon themselves to act as Aldermen. On December 19th the Attorney-General applied in the Rolls Court for an injunction to restrain the Mayor and Corporation from defraying out of the municipal funds the expenses incurred in defending the _quo warrantos_ in the Court of King’s Bench, calling upon Messrs. Springfield and Brightwell to show cause by what authority they held the offices, the former of Mayor and the latter of Alderman, as well as the expenses attending the presentation of a petition to the Lord Chancellor to appoint new trustees of the funds of the public charities, the management of which was vested in the Corporation. The bill charged the defendants with applying the Corporation funds wrongfully, in a manner inconsistent with the duties of a Mayor and Corporation, and in direct violation of the provisions of the Municipal Corporation Act, by applying them for the aforesaid purposes, in consequence of certain resolutions to which the corporate body had come. The effect of these resolutions was that the City Treasurer should from time to time pay out of the city funds such sums of money as the committee of the Corporation should deem necessary towards defraying the expenses of the _quo warrantos_ and petition above-named. The defendants put in two demurrers to the bill, and Lord Langdale said he would consider the case before pronouncing judgment. (_See_ January 13th, 1837.)
November 5th 1836
“We wish to direct the attention of landowners and farmers in Norfolk to the extraordinary success which has attended the attempt of Mr. R. Crawshay, of Honingham Hall, to cultivate hops in Norfolk. A sample of them may now be seen at Norgate and Co.’s, which competent judges have declared to surpass the growth of any other county in the kingdom. Our agriculturists will be deeply indebted to this gentleman for proving to them that a valuable plant indigenous to the soil may be cultivated with profitable success in Norfolk.”
November 9th 1836
Mr. Thomas Brightwell was elected Mayor, and Mr. John Bateman appointed Sheriff, of Norwich.
November 23rd 1836
A musical festival took place at Fakenham parish church. “The Messiah” was rendered in the morning, and “Judas Maccabeus” in the evening. The soloists were supplied by the choir of Norwich Cathedral. “Admission, middle aisle, 3s.; other parts, 2s.”
November 26th 1836
“The allotment system has been tried on a tolerably large scale in the parish of Attleborough, by Sir John Smyth, Bart., of Woodmarston Hall, Surrey, lord of the manor of Attleborough. The allotments are let at moderate rents, not exceeding the rent of similar lands in farm, with the addition of the tithes and other charges which are paid by the landlord.”
November 28th 1836
Sir James Flower’s hounds met at Stow, where the stag was turned off and was taken at Garboldisham Lings, after a run of five hours. The distance from point to point was about eleven miles, but the stag ran at least 40 miles, and the only horsemen up at the finish were the huntsman and first whip.
November 29th 1836
A severe gale occurred. A large wooden building erected at the Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, for circus performances, was blown down by the tremendous violence of the wind. “The great oak at Necton, for which the late Mr. William Mason was offered by a shipwright at Lynn, in 1812, 120 guineas, had two arms blown off it, each the size of ordinary timber trees.” Barns and wheat stacks were blown down at Necton, Ashill, West Bradenham, and Beeston. At Carbrooke a windmill, the property of Mr. Robert Homes, was wrecked, and his son killed.
November 29th 1836
The Freebridge Lynn Hundred Association for the encouragement of agricultural labourers and servants was formed at a meeting held at the Duke’s Head Inn, Lynn. Sir W. B. ffolkes was elected president; the Rev. C. D. Brereton, of Little Massingham, secretary; and Mr. B. Aldham, treasurer.
December 1st 1836
The directors of the Norwich Yarn Company having obtained the minimum sum necessary for commencing their new works on the ground purchased of Mr. Youngman, the first stone of the new factory was laid on this day. The event was celebrated by a procession in honour of Bishop Blaize, to illustrate the pagan story of Jason’s argonautic expedition to Colchis in search of the Golden Fleece. The last celebration of the kind took place in 1783. The character of Bishop Blaize was impersonated “most appropriately, both as to age and gravity, by Richard Dickerson, comber, who had taken part in the former procession.” Starting from the premises of the company, the procession paraded the principal streets of the city, and halted opposite Mr. Bignold’s house in Surrey Street, where an “oratorical address” was delivered by the senior orator, Edward Warman. At noon the procession arrived at St. Edmund’s, where Mr. Bignold laid the foundation stone, and, in addressing the company, stated that the building about to be erected would be 163 ft. in length, by 42 feet in width, and four storeys high. As the works already in operation afforded employment to 800 people, this mill, which would be one-third larger, would yield employment to 1,200. Upwards of £15,000 had been raised for defraying the cost of the works. The procession afterwards moved by a circuitous route to St. Andrew’s Hall, where the directors entertained 900 persons who had taken part in the proceedings. John Sell Cotman, who had sketched the pageant, announced the issue and sale of folio prints illustrating the event. He stated: “In pure regard of the children of the industrious poor of my native city, I give my labour, with the entire profits of the work.”
December 10th 1836
The skeleton of a gigantic whale, taken at Plymouth in October, 1831, was exhibited on the Castle Hill, Norwich. It measured 85 feet in length, and was advertised as “The Prince of Whales at Home.”
December 25th 1836
Christmas Day was ushered in with snowstorms and hailstorms, thunder, and lightning. On the 26th the roads were rendered almost impassable by the drifting snow, which, in some localities, was from ten to twelve feet deep. Soon all vehicular traffic was stopped. The Ipswich mail coach, which should have arrived at Norwich on Christmas Day, did not reach the city until eleven o’clock on the night of the 29th. It was detained at Thwaite Duke’s Head, whence the letter bags were despatched in the charge of mounted messengers. One of the passengers, Capt. Petre, undertook to walk to Norwich, a distance of twenty-eight miles; he arrived in the city on the 28th, and thence proceeded on his journey to Westwick House. The Newmarket mail could get no further than Bury St. Edmund’s, and all other public vehicles were delayed. On the Dereham, Fakenham, and other turnpikes gangs of labourers were employed to remove the snowdrifts. There were many shipping casualties on the Norfolk coast. Such severe weather had not been experienced since 1799. The thaw commenced in the middle of January, 1837, and high floods occurred in the neighbourhood of Norwich and in other localities.
December 26th 1836
Ryan’s Royal Circus was opened for the season in a large wooden building erected at the Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, by Mr. Bunn.