January 5th 1835
Yarmouth Election—T. Baring (C), 777; W. M. Praed (C), 768 (elected). Hon. Col. Anson (L), 680; C. E. Rumbold (L), 675.
January 6th 1835
Norwich Election—Lord Viscount Stormont and the Hon. Robert Campbell Scarlett, Conservatives; the Hon. E. Vernon Harbord and Mr. Francis Offley Martin, Liberals, were nominated, and polling commenced on the same date. The books remained open until 5.30 p.m. on the 7th, when the result was declared as follows:—Stormont, 1,892; Scarlett, 1,878 (elected). Harbord, 1,592; Martin, 1,585.
January 7th 1835
Lynn Election—The polling commenced on this date, and concluded on the 8th. Lord George Bentinck, 531; Sir Stratford Canning, 416 (elected); Sir John S. Lillie, 238.
January 12th 1835
The nomination of candidates for the representation of West Norfolk took place at Swaffham. Mr. William Bagge, the Conservative candidate, was escorted to the town by a procession, headed by the hunting establishment of Mr. Henry Villebois. Sir William ffolkes and Sir Jacob Astley were accompanied by Mr. T. W. Coke and numerous supporters. A dispute arose between Lord Charles Townshend and Sir Jacob Astley, who were ordered by the justices to enter into their recognisances to keep the peace towards each other. The polling commenced on January 15th, at Swaffham, Downham, Fakenham, Lynn, Thetford, and East Dereham, and closed on the 16th. The poll was declared on the 19th.—ffolkes, 2,299; Astley, 2,134; Bagge, 1,880. The two first-named were elected.
January 17th 1835
The nomination of candidates for the East Norfolk Division took place at Norwich. Lord Walpole and Mr. Wodehouse, Conservatives, entered the city by St. Giles’ Gates, escorted by between three hundred and four hundred horsemen; Mr. W. Windham and Mr. R. H. Gurney (Liberals) rode at the head of 196 mounted supporters. The polling commenced on the 20th, at Norwich, Yarmouth, Long Stratton, and Reepham, and concluded on the 21st. The poll was declared on the 23rd, as follows:—Walpole, 3,188; Wodehouse, 3,474; Windham, 3,089; Gurney, 2,879. The two first-named were elected.
January 17th 1835
At the Norwich Court of Mayoralty, Mr. Alderman Bignold read a letter from the Right Hon. Lord Abinger, Baron of Abinger in the county of Surrey and of the city of Norwich, intimating his lordship’s desire that the Mayor and Corporation would permit him to take as the supporters of his arms the supporters of the arms of the city. The Court unanimously granted the request. It was also announced that his lordship had appointed as his chaplain the Rev. Charles Turner, son of the Mayor.
January 27th 1835
The supporters of Messrs. Harbord and Martin, to the number of 900, were entertained at dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall by leading persons of the Liberal party. On the 28th 1,000 were similarly entertained. Mr. W. Foster presided on both occasions, and on the second day Mr. Martin delivered a speech of two hours’ duration.
February 7th 1835
A “moveable panorama” of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, painted by Mr. Thorne, was exhibited at the Theatre Royal, Norwich.
February 19th 1835
Married, Mr. J. V. Jermay, of Wroxham, to Mrs. Sarah Landimore, of the same place. “The above-named female has been twice married, having entered the matrimonial state at the age of 14. She became a widow at 15, and is now a wife again at 17.”
February 23rd 1835
Died, at New Lakenham, aged 66, Mr. William Cole, the author of “Rural Months,” and other poems.
February 24th 1835
The Corporation of Norwich voted the honorary freedom of the city to the Hon. Robert Campbell Scarlett, M.P.
February 24th 1835
A committee was appointed by the Corporation of Norwich to prepare a memorial to the Postmaster-General, for an acceleration of the mail coach service. A letter was received from Lord Stormont, M.P., on March 27th, stating that the Postmaster-General had made the following arrangements: the Norwich and Yarmouth letters to go by the Ipswich mail instead of by the Newmarket coach, the Ipswich mail to arrive at Norwich at 7.30 a.m., and to leave Norwich at 7 p.m.
February 28th 1835
Died at his residence in Portman Square, London, aged 78, the Right Hon. and Rev. Earl Nelson, Duke of Bronte, “brother of the hero of Trafalgar.” The title and estates descended to Mr. Thomas Bolton, jun., son of Susannah Nelson, sister of the first two Earls, and of Thomas Bolton, who was born in 1786, and married, in 1821, Elizabeth, daughter and sole heir of John Maurice.
March 14th 1835
“At Didlington Hall, the only place in England at which the antient amusement of flying hawks at herons is practised, it has been customary to turn off the birds taken alive, with a ring attached to one leg, showing the time and place at which they were captured. In a late Bristol paper there is an account of a heron having been shot near Carmarthen with a ring round one leg having the inscription: ‘Major Wilson, Didlington Hall, Norfolk, 1822.’”
April 3rd 1835
Lord Chief Baron Abinger, one of the Judges of Assize at Norwich, was waited upon at the Judges’ lodgings, in Bethel Street, by the Mayor and Corporation, and presented with an address, on this his first visit to the city in a judicial capacity.
April 4th 1835
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Vaughan, Johnstone Wardell, aged 23, a bank clerk, was charged with embezzling the sum of £1,431 18s. 7d. belonging to the Governor and Company of the Bank of England. Mr. Kelly was retained for the defence at the fee of 100 gs., and, after a trial lasting ten hours, the jury acquitted the prisoner. The defence was that the accused had been knocked down and robbed of the money on the Castle Ditches. A few months afterwards he confessed his guilt and refunded the full amount.
April 7th 1835
Three hundred emigrants left Yarmouth Quay by the Baltic (Captain Newson), Venus (Captain Simmons), and Wellington (Captain Gilham), for Quebec. The Shannon sailed from Lynn for Quebec on April 16th, with 90 emigrants.
April 18th 1835
James Clarke, aged 20, was executed on Castle Hill, Norwich, for setting fire to a wheat stack at Buxton. “The most singular feature attending the execution was that an old man named Wyer, a person well known for his eccentricities, declared on the Hill that he would take the sufferer’s place for five shillings. The man made good his word, went home and hanged himself.”
April 20th 1835
Mr. Macready commenced a four nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre in the part of Macbeth. His other impersonations included Hamlet, Virginius, Werner, and Puff (“The Critic”). On the 23rd an outrage was committed by a person who “threw a chemical substance capable of ignition, in different parts of the building.” A reward of 20 gs. was offered for the apprehension of the offender.
April 25th 1835
The West Norfolk and Lynn Hospital, designed by Mr. Angel and built by Mr. Sugars, was opened for the reception of patients.
April 25th 1835
A troop of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons arrived at Norwich Barracks, and were followed by two other troops of the same regiment, from Sheffield and Nottingham.
May 1st 1835
Mr. Moore and Mr. Steward were returned to the Norwich Court of Aldermen for election as Mayor. The first-named was chosen.
May 4th 1835
The 2nd Dragoon Guards marched from Norwich Barracks, on their way to Liverpool, for embarcation for Dublin. The Mayor and Corporation testified to the excellent conduct of the regiment, and expressed regret at their departure.
May 4th 1835
The Norwich Corporation agreed not to dispose of the old City Gaol without reserving a portion of the site for the purposes of the Norwich Public Library. On September 21st a lease was granted of part of the site (70 ft. by 70 ft.) to the trustees of the Library for the term of 99 years, at the annual rent of £1, “for the erection of a library room or other building connected therewith.” At a special meeting of the subscribers, on October 29th, the contract of Messrs. Darkins and Blake for the erection of the new building, at the total cost of £1,820, was confirmed, and it was decided to raise the amount in shares of £5 each.
May 4th 1835
The honorary freedom of the city was voted by the Corporation of Norwich to Lord Walpole, M.P., and Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, M.P. Both gentlemen were sworn in on May 8th.
May 5th 1835
Died of dysentery at Calcutta, aged 70, Mr. Thomas Hoseason, formerly of Banklands, near Lynn.
May 6th 1835
Died, aged 69, at Furnival’s Inn, Mr. Linley, “son of the writer of the music in ‘The Duenna,’ and brother of the first Mrs. Sheridan and of the Rev. O. T. Linley, formerly of Norwich Cathedral. He was a good composer and excellent judge of music.”
May 8th 1835
A dinner, attended by 650 guests, was given at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, to celebrate the establishment at the Rampant Horse Inn of the East Norfolk Conservative Association. The Earl of Orford presided. Prior to the dinner the members of the association proceeded to the Guildhall, to witness the swearing in of Lord Walpole and Mr. Wodehouse as hon. freemen of Norwich.
May 9th 1835
Died, aged 66, Mr. William Blanchard, “the celebrated comedian, formerly of the Norwich Company.”
May 11th 1835
Mr. Butler, of Covent Garden, appeared at Norwich Theatre in the part of Hamlet. He performed on subsequent evenings the parts of Coriolanus and David Duvigne (“The Hazard of the Die”).
May 18th 1835
The Bill for renewing the Yarmouth Port and Haven Act, which would otherwise have expired in 1836, went into Committee in the House of Commons, and was finally agreed to by all parties.
May 25th 1835
Died in Norwich, aged 67, Mr. George Lindley, author of the “Guide to the Orchard and Kitchen Garden, “ &c., and father of Dr. Lindley, Professor of Botany at the Royal Institution and the University of London.
May 26th 1835
Died at his house in Magdalen Street, Norwich, aged 91, Mr. Barnabas Leman, who was elected Alderman in 1797, Sheriff in 1804, and twice served the office of Mayor, 1813-1818.
May 27th 1835
Captain Sir Edward Parry, R.N., the celebrated navigator, made an official visit to Norwich, on his appointment as an Assistant Commissioner under the new Poor Laws Amendment Act.
May 29th 1835
At the Guildhall, Norwich, John Pilgrim, described as an attorney, was charged before Mr. Samuel Bignold and Mr. E. T. Booth with embezzling the sum of £6 13s. belonging to his employers, Messrs. Sewell, Blake, Keith, and Blake, solicitors. The case was adjourned till Saturday, the 30th, and the hearing lasted till midnight. On Sunday, the 31st, the magistrates again sat, and remanded the defendant in custody. On June 1st it was stated that Mr. Parraman, Governor of the City Gaol, had handed the prisoner over to the custody of the Serjeant-at-Arms of the House of Commons, on a warrant from the Speaker. The Bench then adjourned the hearing _sine die_. In order to explain these proceedings, it is necessary to state the following facts:—A petition had been presented against the return of Mr. Dundas and Mr. Kelly as members for Ipswich, and the Committee of the House of Commons, in reporting the election void, passed a series of special resolutions to the effect that John Pilgrim and others were guilty of bribery and of absconding to avoid the Speaker’s warrant; that Pilgrim, having at length been served, was prevented attending the Committee by being arrested on a charge of embezzlement, and that the conduct of the magistrates before whom he was charged appeared to the Committee to be a breach of the privileges of the House. On June 29th it was moved that the committing magistrates be sent to Newgate, but instead they were ordered to attend before the House on July 3rd. That order was discharged, and the inquiry was referred to the same Select Committee that was to investigate the charges against Pilgrim’s employers. At the Norwich Assizes on August 8th, before Mr. Baron Bolland, the bill in the case of embezzlement was respited to the next court. A meeting of the Norwich Corporation was held on September 21st, at which a vote of thanks was accorded to Mr. Bignold and Mr. Booth “for the performance of their duty as magistrates, which led to their being summoned before the Committee of the House of Commons on the charge of alleged breach of privileges of the House,” and it was ordered that their expenses in London be defrayed by the city. (_See_ March 29th, 1836. )
May 31st 1835
Died at his house in Bedford Square, London, Mr. William Smith, formerly one of the representatives of Norwich in Parliament. Mr. Smith was first elected member for the city in 1802, and retired in 1830.
June 3rd 1835
Mr. Beacham, a favourite actor at Norwich Theatre, took his final leave of the stage after a service of more than half a century.
June 6th 1835
The erection of gas works at East Dereham commenced.
June 10th 1835
A new drama, entitled, “The Puritan’s Sister,” written by Mr. George Smith, was produced for the first time at Norwich Theatre.
June 14th 1835
Died at Brighton, aged 72, Sir John Harrison Yallop, an alderman of Norwich. He served the office of Sheriff in 1805, and of Mayor in 1815 and 1831.
June 15th 1835
Sir Edward Parry, R.N., attended a meeting of the Norwich Court of Guardians, and laid before them the views and intentions of the Poor-law Commissioners. Sir Edward also visited other unions in the district.
June 16th 1835
Guild Day was celebrated in Norwich for the last time. The civic procession to the Cathedral was headed by the regalia borne by the respective officers on horseback. “Snap,” too, made his final appearance. Chambers, the senior boy at the Free Grammar School, under the Rev. Henry Banfather, delivered the Latin oration, and was presented with five guineas’ worth of books by the Mayor-elect (Mr. Moore), who made a similar present to Norgate, the orator on the preceding Guild Day. In the course of the proceedings at the Guildhall, it was decided to petition the House of Lords against the Bill to provide for the regulation of Municipal Corporations in England and Wales. Eight hundred guests attended the Guild feast at St. Andrew’s Hall, and a ball was given at the Assembly Rooms in the evening.
June 19th 1835
Mr. Richard Shaw was elected an alderman of the Northern Ward, Norwich, in succession to Sir J. H. Yallop, deceased. He polled 345 votes, as against 109 recorded for his opponent, Mr. J. Winter.
June 26th 1835
Petitions were presented from Yarmouth, complaining that bribery had been practised at the election of members for that borough. They were not election petitions; they did not complain of the return; and did not impute bribery to the members or their agents. But it was alleged that two guineas had been paid to many of the voters at the house of a person who had been an active partisan of the sitting members. The petitions were referred to a Committee of the House. On July 30th the Chairman of the Committee reported that Mr. Prentice, one of the witnesses, refused to answer certain questions, on the ground that the answers would incriminate himself. He was sent to Newgate on August 6th. On the same day the Chairman reported that three other witnesses, Messrs. Preston, Lacon, and Green, had refused to answer any questions at all. Mr. Preston was brought to the bar and informed by the Speaker that the House had decided he was bound to submit to be examined by the Committee without prejudice to his right to object to any questions, the answers to which might tend to criminate himself. Mr. Preston and Messrs. Lacon and Green attended the Committee. They objected to the very first question which at all tended to bear on the matter, because, they said, the answers might criminate them. The Committee agreed that the answers would have that tendency, and discharged the witnesses from further attendance. On August 11th Mr. Prentice was likewise discharged from Newgate, and on his arrival at Yarmouth, on August 14th, was welcomed by a large crowd, who escorted his carriage through the town, with a band playing. At the Norfolk Assizes, on March 31st, 1836, before Mr. Justice Parke, Messrs. Preston, Green, and Lacon were charged with the alleged acts of bribery, but each case was disposed of without one of the persons against whom the charges were preferred being required to enter upon any defence whatever.
June 29th 1835
In consequence of the general recommendation of the Poor-law Commissioners that the allowances to the “surplus poor” be made in kind, instead of in money, the labourers at Great Bircham and Bircham Tofts struck work, and caused a riot, upon the ground that labourers had been imported from neighbouring villages. The houses of Mr. Ketton and Mr. Hebgin were attacked, and the Melton and Rainham troops of Yeomanry Cavalry were called out to quell the disturbance. The preventive men from the coast and the 6th Inniskillings from Norwich were also summoned. At Walsingham Quarter Sessions, on July 10th, several persons were sentenced to terms of imprisonment for participating in the riot.
July 6th 1835
The Royal Mail coach from Yarmouth (through Norwich) to Birmingham commenced running. “In equipment and management this coach is not excelled by any in the kingdom.”
July 6th 1835
Died at Vernon House, London, from the effects of injuries received by a fall from his horse in St. James’s Park, on June 30th, the Right Hon. Lord Suffield, aged 54. The intelligence arrived at North Walsham at the time fixed for the celebration of his lordship’s birthday by a dinner at the King’s Arms Inn. The body of the deceased nobleman reached Norwich on July 15th, and remained at the Rampant Horse Inn that night. On the following day it was conveyed to Gunton, and buried in the chapel in the park.
July 14th 1835
A handbill was circulated in Norwich announcing that “the Dutch Hercules, Mynheer Kousewinkeler van Raachboomstadt, professor of gymnastics and Maître des Armes to the 5th Regiment of Royal Jaagers,” would give his “celebrated series of gymnastic exercises” in Chapel Field. Some thousands of persons were hoaxed.
August 1st 1835
Mr. Charles Kemble made his first appearance at Norwich Theatre in the character of Julian St. Pierre (“The Wife”). During the remaining nights of his engagement he performed the parts of Benedict, Mercutio, Colonel Freelove (“The Day after the Wedding”), Octavian (“The Mountaineers”), Petruchio, and Charles Surface. He afterwards visited Yarmouth.
August 6th 1835
Evidence was given before the House of Lords in opposition to the Municipal Reform Bill by Mr. E. T. Booth, Col. Harvey, Mr. Isaac Preston (Recorder), and Mr. E. Newton, of Norwich. A petition, adopted at a meeting of the freemen on July 11th, and signed by 1,600 persons of both parties, had already been presented, praying their lordships “to preserve to Norwich the privileges granted by the charters of 700 years ago.” The Bill was passed on September 9th, and on October 3rd the NORFOLK CHRONICLE stated: “St. Michael ‘shone no festive holiday’ either at Norwich, Lynn, or Yarmouth. For many centuries until this _annus mirabilis_ of _Liberalism_ the Sheriffs of Norwich (from 1403), the Mayors of Lynn (from 1268) and of Yarmouth (from 1684), were sworn into office on new Michaelmas day. . . . Under the new Act the present Mayors and Sheriffs are to continue to hold their respective offices until January 1st next, and their immediate successors—_one_ Sheriff until the first, and the Mayors until the 9th of November, on which days the elections of Sheriffs and Mayors of boroughs will in future take place.”
August 7th 1835
At the Norfolk Assizes, before Mr. Justice Bolland, Frances Billing, aged 46, and Catherine Frarey, aged 40, were found guilty of the murder of Mary Taylor, of Burnham Westgate, by administering arsenic to her. They were also convicted of the murder of Robert Frarey, husband of the last-named prisoner. The execution took place on the Castle Hill, Norwich, on August 10th. Frarey was dressed in deep mourning for her husband, and wore a widow’s cap. They held each other by the hand when upon the scaffold. “The silence which had hitherto pervaded the immense concourse who stood intently gazing on this dreadful exhibition was broken by a piercing shriek when the drop fell; then all was still again.” Mrs. Billing had had eleven children, eight of whom were living at the time of the execution. Both women had been in the habit of consulting reputed witches at Burnham and Sall (_See_ April 1st, 1836.)
August 14th 1835
Died, aged 79, Mr. William Mason, of Necton. “He was accomplished in literature, and was one of the favourite scholars of the late Dr. Parr.”
August 22nd 1835
Died, aged 78, the Hon. George Walpole, second son of Horatio, first Earl of Orford and fourth Lord Walpole of Walpole. He commanded the troops employed in suppressing the rebellion of the Maroons in Jamaica. On his retirement from the Army he went into Parliament, and was Under-Secretary of State during the Fox Administration in 1806.
August 23rd 1835
Died, aged 65, Mr. Francis Stone, architect, Norwich, and for nearly 30 years Surveyor of the County of Norfolk.
August 25th 1835
The last election for the office of freemen’s Sheriff took place at Norwich. Mr. Paul Squire was returned, with 829 votes. Mr. Edward Willett, his opponent, polled 437.
September 18th 1835
At nine o’clock in the morning, Mr. Green, the aeronaut, who had ascended in his balloon from Vauxhall Gardens, London, at six o’clock in the evening of the 17th, descended between North Runcton and Hardwick, about a mile from Lynn South Gates.
September 22nd 1835
The Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria, on their way from Burleigh House, Stamford, to Holkham Park, on a visit to Mr. Coke, passed through Lynn, and were received with great enthusiasm. The horses were removed from the Royal carriage, which was dragged through the town to the Duke’s Head Inn. The relay of horses having been sent towards Gaywood, the populace drew the carriage, amid most loyal demonstrations, to the eastern boundary of the town, where the horses were put to and the journey resumed. At Holkham the preventive service formed a guard of honour, and the whole of the tenantry were in attendance. On the 23rd their Royal Highnesses were presented by the inhabitants of Wells with a loyal address, to which the Duchess of Kent graciously replied. Their Royal Highnesses left Holkham on the 24th for the seat of the Duke of Grafton at Euston, and passed through Swaffham, where the race meeting was delayed in order to give the large concourse the opportunity of greeting their future Sovereign.
October 6th 1835
The Young Company’s yawl Increase was launched from Yarmouth beach at one p.m., with a crew of eight hands, Budds (a pilot), and a Mr. Layton. It went to the assistance of a brig flying a signal of distress. Layton and one of the men remained on board the brig. The yawl, when returning to shore, was capsized in a squall, and seven of the crew drowned. Two, named Brock and Emmerson, swam for their lives. Emmerson sank, but Brock continued swimming until he reached Corton Bay, where he was picked up by a vessel after he had been seven hours in the water and had swum fourteen miles.
October 10th 1835
The Revising Barristers (Mr. S. Gazelee and Mr. W. A. Collins) commenced an inquiry at Norwich as to the settlement of the new municipal boundaries. On the 13th they announced that they had decided to arrange the city in eight wards, based upon the relative proportions of property and population.
October 13th 1835
At a convivial meeting at the Three Turks public-house, Charing Cross, Norwich, William Cork, an artisan, was singing “the well-known song written on the death of General Wolfe,” and after repeating the words, “And I to death must yield,” fell down and, to the consternation of the company, instantly expired.
October 23rd 1835
At a meeting held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, under the presidency of Sir Jacob Astley, Bart., M.P., it was agreed that the line of railway most advantageous to Norfolk and Norwich was that proposed by Mr. James Walker, engineer, from Yarmouth to Norwich and thence to Cambridge and London. A similar opinion was expressed at meetings held at Yarmouth on October 30th and at Thetford on November 3rd.
October 28th 1835
The libraries, works of art, curiosities, &c., of Captain Marryat, C.B., were sold by auction at his residence, Langham, near Holt. “Captain Marryat has broken up his establishment in Norfolk as his devotion to literature will oblige him to reside constantly in London.”
November 1st 1835
Died at his house, Buckworth, near Romsey, the Right Hon. Earl Nelson, aged 50. He was born at St. Michael-at-Plea, Norwich, and married, in 1821, Frances Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of Mr. John Maurice, and was succeeded in his titles and estates by his eldest son, Horatio Bolton Nelson, Viscount Trafalgar, aged 12 years.
November 9th 1835
The schooner Harriet, on her passage from St. Petersburg to Liverpool, was lost, with her crew of eight hands, off Hunstanton. “The wreckage washed ashore was immediately broken up, and part of it converted to private purposes. It is shocking to contemplate the lawless scrambling of the wreckers of this coast to obtain possession of their prey, in which they appear to be encouraged by the conduct of persons whose especial duty it is to prevent rather than to encourage the abominable plunder here carried on.”
November 14th 1835
Extensive flour mills at Hardingham, occupied by Messrs. Taylor and Tingay, were destroyed by fire.
November 27th 1835
Mr. Charles Turner, Deputy-Mayor of Norwich, was presented with a piece of plate by the subscribers who had placed his portrait in St. Andrew’s Hall. The portrait was painted by H. P. Briggs, R.A.
December 1st 1835
Messrs. Collins and Gazelee, revising barristers, commenced at Norwich the first revision of the municipal voters’ lists.
December 7th 1835
A fine male specimen of the sea eagle was shot at Hunstanton Hall. The crop and stomach contained 15 herring; the wings from tip to tip measured 7 ft. 3 in.
December 9th 1835
Professor Sedgwick commenced his course of lectures on geology at the Norfolk and Norwich Museum. Upwards of 200 new subscribers added their names, in order to have the privilege of attending.
December 15th 1835
Died at his uncle’s house, Lancaster Place, London, Mr. James Smith, surgeon, son of the manager of Norwich Theatre.
December 22nd 1835
The first general meeting of the proprietors of the East of England Bank was held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, the Mayor (Mr. W. Moore) presiding.
December 22nd 1835
Forty _amateurs de bonne chère_ presented Mr. William Snow, “the Ude of Norwich,” with a silver gridiron, on the occasion of his 64th birthday.
December 24th 1835
The new Octagon chapel at Diss was opened. Sermons were preached by the Revs. J. Alexander and J. B. Innes, of Norwich.
December 26th 1835
The first elections under the new Municipal Reform Act took place at Norwich. The polling commenced at eight polling-places at nine o’clock, and closed at four o’clock, “when the Mayor went round to the different departments and received the boxes from his deputies.” The method of voting was thus described: “The voters delivered to the deputies their signed lists containing the names of the candidates for whom they gave their suffrages. A clerk entered the name of the voter and the candidates in a book, and the list was then deposited in a box by the deputy.” The election resulted in the return of the Whig-Radicals by a majority of eight.