January 3rd 1834
The question of the restoration of the south and west faces of the keep of Norwich Castle was discussed at the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, and referred to the visiting justices, who recommended that it be undertaken; and on May 17th the tender of Mr. Watson was accepted and the work ordered to be proceeded with at once. On July 28th a public meeting was held at the Guildhall, “to take into consideration the expediency of instituting an inquiry into the necessity for covering up the face of such an antient relic with new building,” and a resolution moved by Mr. Samuel Bignold, and seconded by Mr. Stevenson, expressing regret at the “demolition,” and suggesting that an antiquary and architect be consulted before it was further proceeded with, was unanimously adopted. A deputation was also appointed to wait upon the Gaol Committee. At a meeting of the county magistrates, on October 17th, it was decided to employ Mr. Blore, a well-known architect and antiquary, “to survey and report upon the present state of the Castle, and the best mode of proceeding with the repairs.” Mr. Blore reported on November 10th that the masonry was in a very bad state; that the then face of the building was not altogether original, but that the repairs and restorations it had undergone at various periods had been closely assimilated with the original work. He recommended that what was needed to be done should be judiciously incorporated with the ancient work. It was finally decided, on January 9th, 1835, that the visiting justices be authorised to continue the work as originally intended, and that they be empowered to consult Mr. Blore or any other architect they might think proper to employ.
January 9th 1834
At a meeting of the Norwich Corporation, a resolution was passed protesting against any report that might be made by the Municipal Commissioners respecting the Corporation, “based on statements so utterly unfit to justify Parliament in legislating on so important a subject,” and inviting the various Corporations throughout the kingdom “to make common cause with them in endeavouring to defeat any design that might be in contemplation for wresting from them their antient charters, franchises, and liberties.”
January 12th 1834
The organ of Norwich Cathedral was re-opened by Mr. Buck, after its thorough reparation by Bishop, of Lisson Grove, London. The sermon on the occasion was preached by the Right Hon. and Rev. Lord Bayning. The instrument was the original work of Father Schmidt.
January 21st 1834
The first of the Choral Concerts inaugurated “for the purpose of obtaining a reserve fund for the support of the choral band at the Musical Festival and for maintaining and keeping together the great body of musical talent existing in the locality,” was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
January 25th 1834
During a performance by a company of comedians at Cley-next-the-Sea, a pistol was fired, and the ramrod, which had been left in the barrel, entered the side of an actor named Leary, who was badly injured.
January 27th 1834
Mr. Frederick Vining, of Covent Garden and the Haymarket Theatres, commenced a short engagement at Norwich Theatre, where he was formerly a favourite actor. His impersonations included Young Rapid (“A Cure for the Heartache”), Martin Heywood (“The Rent-day”), Sidney Maynard (“The Housekeeper”), Templeton (“Deaf as a Post”), Frank Bramble (“The Poor Gentleman”), and Harry Villars (“Open House”).
February 6th 1834
Mr. Thomas Jefferson Hogg and Mr. John Buckle, Municipal Commissioners, opened an inquiry at the Tolhouse Hall into the corporate affairs of Yarmouth. After sitting for 20 days the Commissioners adjourned _sine die_.
February 14th 1834
A _fête_ was given at Yarmouth Barracks by Captain Manby, “to mark the close of the labours that had so long engaged his attention for saving life.” This was the twenty-seventh anniversary of “the saving of the first crew by the projection of a rope from the shore by the force of gunpowder, and thus effecting communication with a vessel on a lee shore. By this expedient upwards of 600 British sailors have been saved.”
February 26th 1834
Died at Lynn, Mr. Ezekiel Walker, aged 94. He was for many years a regular contributor to Nicholson and Tillock’s “Philosophical Magazine,” and published a collection of his essays, chiefly on electrochemical subjects.
February 27th 1834
The ceremony of laying the first stone of the new Yarn Factory at Norwich was performed by the Mayor (Mr. Bignold). A procession, in which were characters representing Bishop Blaize, shepherds and shepherdesses, together with 80 wool combers, and many women and children, marched from Lakenham to the site of the new building in St. Edmund’s. The directors and shareholders afterwards dined at the Norfolk Hotel.
March 11th 1834
The lake at Scottow was drawn by Sir Henry Durrant, when five pike of large size were captured. The finest measured 4 ft. in length, 2 ft 3 in. in girth, and weighed 37 lbs.; the smallest was 3 ft 4 in. long, 20½ inches in girth, and weighed 18½ lbs. They were all taken at one haul.
March 11th 1834
Resolutions in favour of the repeal of the Malt Tax were passed at a large meeting of the owners and occupiers of land in the Hundred of South Erpingham, held at the Black Boys Inn, Aylsham, under the presidency of Mr. Robert Marsham. Similar meetings were held throughout the county, and petitions were numerously signed in every Hundred.
March 22nd 1834
Miss Kelly appeared at Norwich Theatre in her entertainments, “Dramatic Recollections,” “A Study of Character,” and “Mrs. Parthian at Home.”
April 12th 1834
William Thirkettle, 27; William Pye, 32; and Gilpin Reynolds, 24, were executed on Castle Hill, Norwich, the first-named for the attempted murder of his wife, and the others for arson.
April 14th 1834
The two troops of the King’s Own Light Dragoons marched from Norwich for Hampton Court and Kensington Barracks.
April 25th 1834
The Yarmouth Port and Haven Bill was considered by the House of Commons’ Committee, presided over by Mr. William Windham. On the 28th the petitioners announced the abandonment of the Bill.
April 30th 1834
The Bishop of Rochester, officiating for the Bishop of Norwich (who was then in his 90th year), confirmed 1,700 persons at North Walsham. On subsequent days 1,000 were confirmed at Holt, and 1,050 at Diss.
April 30th 1834
Fifty-four convicts, sentenced at the County Assizes and Sessions to transportation, were taken on board the Sarah (Capt. Moore), lying in Norwich river. “The hatchways were closed at twenty minutes after two in the morning, and this London trader sailed immediately for Lowestoft, which harbour was reached about eleven o’clock; in three hours the vessel was out of sight and on her way to Portsmouth. Their being sent off by sea (through the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation) instead of by land conveyance will be a very considerable saving of expense to the county of Norfolk.”
May 1st 1834
Mr. Charles Turner and Mr. William Moore were returned to the Court of Aldermen, who elected the former as Mayor of Norwich for the year ensuing.
May 1st 1834
May Day was celebrated at Lynn with the usual display of garlands and devices emblematical of the season, by persons arrayed in fancy costumes.
May 5th 1834
Two troops of the 2nd Queen’s Dragoon Guards, under the command of Major Kearney, marched into Norwich Barracks from Nottingham, to relieve the 3rd Dragoons, who, on the same day, marched for Ipswich.
May 8th 1834
The leading postmasters of Norwich announced that they had reduced the rate of posting to 1s. 4d. per mile.
May 13th 1834
A petition to Parliament against the proposed measure for separating religious instruction from the system of education hitherto prevailing at the Universities was unanimously adopted at a meeting summoned by requisition and held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. Bignold).
May 16th 1834
The dwelling-house, outbuildings, and corn stacks of Mr. Helsden Larner, at North Walsham, were destroyed by fire. A labourer named Jeremiah Cutting was buried beneath the falling roof of the stable and burned to death.
May 21st 1834
The West Norfolk Agricultural Association held its first annual meeting at Downham Market. A second division of the society was formed at Fakenham on June 19th.
May 26th 1834
A new drama, entitled, “Sir Roger de Coverley, or the Old English Gentleman,” written by Mr. G. Smith, second son of the manager, was produced for the first time at Norwich Theatre. It was described as “a composition which exhibited talent of no common order.”
May 28th 1834
The King’s birthday was observed in Norwich with great festivity. The first business at the special Assembly of the Corporation was to pass an address of congratulation to his Majesty, “praying him not to sanction the proposed measure for admitting Dissenters to graduate in the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge.” The Mayor and Corporation then went to service at the Cathedral, and at noon the Queen’s Bays fired a _feu de joie_ in the Market Place. The officers were entertained at the Guildhall, the sum of £5 was distributed among the privates, and in the evening the Mayor (Mr. Bignold) gave a dinner at Chapel Field House.
May 29th 1834
Died at Hingham, aged 93, the Right Hon. Lord Wodehouse. He was elevated from a baronetcy to a seat in the House of Lords in 1797, after having represented the county for many years. His lordship was succeeded in his title and estates by Col. Wodehouse, Lord Lieutenant of the county. The remains of the deceased nobleman were buried at Kimberley with great pomp on June 9th.
May 31st 1834
At the close of the Norwich theatrical season, Mr. George Smith delivered an address, in which he lamented that “theatrical taste had of late years declined in the city, either from commercial depression or from the still more fatal growth of indifference.”
June 13th 1834
Died at Southampton, aged 65, Rear-Admiral Manby, of Northwold. He was one of the companions of Captain Vancouver, in his voyage round the world; was actively employed in conveying troops to Ireland at the time of the Rebellion; and during the war with France commanded the Bourdelais, Thalia, and Africaine frigates on various important services. Admiral Manby was a native of Norfolk.
June 17th 1834
Guild Day was observed in Norwich. “When the civic procession arrived at the west door of the Cathedral, the nine knocks were given according to immemorial usage, and the Corporation passed in regular order through the rush-strewn nave.” The Latin oration at the porch of the Free Grammar School was delivered by Fred Norgate, youngest son of Mr. T. S. Norgate, of Hethersett; Mr. Charles Turner was sworn in as Mayor at the Guildhall, and entertained 800 guests at the Guild feast held at St. Andrew’s Hall. The festivities concluded with a ball at the Assembly Rooms.
June 18th 1834
The great cricket match, Yorkshire _v._ Norfolk, for 100 gs. a side, commenced on the Norwich ground, and was continued on the 19th. Among the players were Marsden, Dearman, and the three Pilches. Norfolk: 1st innings, 216 (Fuller Pilch 87); 2nd innings, 91. Yorkshire: 1st innings, 37; 2nd innings, 97. The return match was commenced on Hyde Park Ground, Sheffield, on July 21st, when Yorkshire won by 123 runs. Yorkshire: 1st innings, 191; 2nd innings, 296. Norfolk: 1st innings, 75; 2nd innings, 289. Norfolk abandoned the match in consequence of the rain. “Many thought that with three bats to go in and Fuller Pilch still standing, the game might have been won had there been the means of playing it out.”
June 21st 1834
A severe thunderstorm occurred. Many cattle were killed by lightning, and the tower of Redenhall church sustained considerable damage.
June 27th 1834
Died at Yarmouth, aged 92, Mrs. Hannah Diboll, “the celebrated twisterer, who had been accustomed from childhood to rise every morning at four o’clock, and persevered in the practice till within two or three years of her death.”
July 12th 1834
The public gaslamps in Norwich at this date numbered 423, and the lighting of the city cost upwards of £2,000 per annum.
July 18th 1834
Mr. Richard Hanbury Gurney, formerly one of the Parliamentary representatives of Norwich, was presented with a massive silver candelabrum, purchased with the subscriptions of 1,250 citizens, chiefly of the working classes, “in testimony of their regard for his universal benevolence and sincerity in upholding the just rights of mankind, and of their admiration of his inflexible advocacy in the Senate to obtain for his country a salutary reform in the House of Commons.”
July 19th 1834
“Died, a few days since, in his 62nd year, Mr. Philip Mallet Case, of Testerton House. On Sunday, July 13th, his remains were deposited in the family vault at Dunton. The procession from Testerton to the place of interment was respectably and numerously attended, and it is computed that there were no less than 3,000 persons present.”
July 26th 1834
Died in Clarges Street, London, aged 30, Lord James Henry FitzRoy, youngest son of the Duke of Grafton. His lordship was a captain in the 10th Hussars, and had represented Thetford since 1831.
July 26th 1834
“One of the attractions at Norwich Theatre during the Assize week was the unique and wonderful invention patented and exhibited by Mr. H. Childe, called Dissolvent Views.”
July 26th 1834
“Died, last week, in the 105th year of her age, Mary Wratham, widow, Downham Market.”
July 27th 1834
Died at Litcham, Captain Thomas Edward Hoste, R.N., aged 40. He was fifth son of the Rev. Dixon Hoste, rector of Tittleshall and Godwick, and commenced his career at the age of 13, on the Amphion, commanded by his distinguished brother, Sir William Hoste. In 1809 he joined the Spartan frigate, served in the Mediterranean, Ireland, and South America, was promoted Commander in 1825, and was for a short time employed in coastguard service.
July 31st 1834
The great doors at the west entrance to Norwich Cathedral were taken down for restoration and repair. “They had maintained their honourable station upwards of 400 years, and had received nine times that number of knocks on the Guild Day for the admission of the Corporation to Divine service.”
August 1st 1834
The termination of slavery in the British possessions on this day was celebrated by a “Negro Jubilee” _fête_, given at Sheringham by Mrs. Upcher and her family, and by special services at the churches and chapels in Norwich.
August 8th 1834
The Earl of Euston was elected, unopposed, representative of the borough of Thetford, in succession to Lord James FitzRoy, deceased.
August 8th 1834
A case of great importance was tried by a special jury in the Sheriff’s Court at Norwich. John Burrows, a butcher, had refused to pay the stallage charged by the Corporation for his meat stall in the Market Place, on the ground that the patent of his freedom exempted him from such charges. The Corporation, in an action against him, recovered the charges, which amounted to 16s. 4d., and defendant had suffered judgment to go by default. The special jury now found for the full amount claimed. Defendant resisted payment, and in the second week of September was arrested by virtue of a special writ, taken to London, and by Mr. Baron Alderson was committed to the Fleet Prison. At a quarterly assembly of the Corporation, on Sept. 22nd, Mr. William Wilde moved that it be an instruction to the Market Committee not to collect stallage in future from freemen selling provisions. Burrows had acted on the advice of the Municipal Commissioners in this matter, and these proceedings would probably be his ruin. The motion was negatived by 19 votes to 9.
August 9th 1834
“Workmen excavating at the lower part of the west side of Exchange Street have found a number of human skulls and bones. This was the site of the church of St. Crowche or St. Cross, and the public-house by the name of the Hole-in-the-Wall was built upon it. The church was demolished on October 14th, 1551, and the parish consolidated with St. John Maddermarket.”
August 18th 1834
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which Mr. Gibbs, C.E., explained the facilities and advantages of a projected railroad from London to Dunmow, and thence to Norwich, with a branch to Cambridge, and an ultimate extension to the North of England. The length of line from Whitechapel to Norwich would be 97 miles; the cost of construction and compensation for land £1,000,000, and of machinery, depots, &c., £600,000. On the motion of Mr. Samuel Bignold, a provisional committee was formed for the purpose of promoting the object. On August 30th notice was given that application would be made in the next Session of Parliament for the construction of “the grand Eastern Counties Railway” from London to Norwich and Yarmouth, _via_ Romford, Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich, and Eye, at the estimated cost of £1,500,000, to be raised in 30,000 shares of £50 each. A meeting was held at the Guildhall on Sept. 13th, for the purpose of considering the expediency of forming a railway from London to Norwich _via_ Bishop’s Stortford, Cambridge, and Bury, to join the trunk of the Grand Northern Railway from London to York, Leeds, and Hull. Mr. William Cundy, C.E., described the plans, stating that in less than 18 months the railway from London to Norwich would be completed; and said that the estimated cost was £1,600,000. A local committee was appointed to enquire into the merits of the respective schemes. A public meeting of the county gentry and representatives of the agricultural and commercial interests was held at the Guildhall on October 16th, at which the committee reported that the line proposed by Mr. Gibbs was best entitled to the support of the city and county.
August 26th 1834
Mr. John Marshall was elected freemen’s Sheriff at Norwich by 817 votes, as against 585 recorded for Mr. John Culley.
August 31st 1834
A terrible panic took place at St. Margaret’s church, Lynn, owing to the failure of the gas. A rush was made for the doors, and a lad who fell from the organ loft received dreadful injuries.
September 6th 1834
Died, aged 85, Mrs. Bray, wife of Mr. Thomas Bray, “proprietor of the Diss and Norwich waggons to Ipswich, which have regularly travelled from the Star in the Market Place, Diss, to the Star in the Market Place, Norwich, under the name of Bray, for more than a century and a half.”
September 10th 1834
Died, aged 77, Mr. Edmund Reeve, of St. Augustine’s, Norwich. He served the office of Sheriff in 1796.
September 15th 1834
On the Abbey Farm, Thetford, Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., in the presence of a large gathering of sportsmen, killed in seven hours 222 head of partridges, in 246 shots.
October 6th 1834
At the Guildhall, Norwich, John Cozens, merchant, and Joseph Colman, solicitor, were summoned by George Arthur Dye for endeavouring, by threatening to prosecute an action in the Court of King’s Bench, for supposed acts of bribery alleged to have been committed by the complainant, to extort from him a large sum of money, viz., the sum which he (Cozens) had expended in petitioning the House of Commons against the return of Lord Viscount Stormont and Sir James Scarlett, as members of Parliament for Norwich. The defendants were committed for trial, and at the adjourned Quarter Sessions for the city, on October 28th, a true bill was found against them. They entered into recognisances to appear at the Lent Assizes, which were held in March, 1835, before Mr. Baron Vaughan, when the case was settled without proceeding to trial.
October 9th 1834
The Hall Concert Room, St. George’s Bridge Street, Norwich, was sold by auction. It was afterwards converted into a carpenter’s workshop. “The Hall Concert Society, after existing for upwards of half a century, has been dissolved. Without the assistance of this amateur musical society, the Norwich Musical Festival, and its most prominent feature, the chorus, would never have been called into existence.”
October 11th 1834
“Died, lately, at Swainsthorpe, aged 75, Robert Utting, commonly called ‘Blind Bob.’ He could find any place to which he was sent in Norwich, and was for more than 50 years postman from that city to Swainsthorpe.”
October 27th 1834
The Pilot coach was on its journey from Norwich to Lowestoft, with eight outside and two inside passengers, when the leader of the unicorn team became restive, on Bracondale Hill, and turning sharply into Martineau’s Lane, overturned the vehicle. Mr. Benson Rathbone, of Geldeston, one of the passengers, sustained a fracture of the skull, from which he died an hour afterwards, at the Pine Apple public-house, at Trowse. Several other passengers were injured.
November 4th 1834
The members of the Orange and Purple Club (president, Mr. W. J. Utten Browne), at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, presented a piece of silver plate to Mr. A. A. H. Beckwith, in recognition of his important services to the Conservative cause.
November 19th 1834
At the Guildhall, Norwich, Mr. Samuel Bignold was presented with a silver candelabrum, valued at £200, “to perpetuate the remembrance of his ability and independence as a magistrate, his munificent hospitality, and his important public services.”
November 19th 1834
The Hon. W. H. Beresford and Mr. W. M. Praed were adopted Conservative candidates at Yarmouth. Mr. Beresford afterwards withdrew in favour of Mr. Thomas Baring.
November 26th 1834
The annual meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Museum was held for the first time “in the new building in Exchange Street,” which was informally opened on that occasion.
November 29th 1834
The Rev. A. Sedgwick, M.A., F.R.S., Woodwardian Professor in the University of Cambridge, was installed a Prebendary of Norwich Cathedral.
December 2nd 1834
A meeting of Nonconformists was held at Edwards’ Room, Orford Hill, Norwich, in defence of their civil and religious liberty. Alarm was expressed at the dismissal of Lord Melbourne and his colleagues from office, and at the management of the affairs of State “being consigned to individuals who had proved themselves the enemies of Reform and of the claims of Protestant Dissenters.” The Hon. Edward Vernon Harbord was requested to become a candidate for the representation of Norwich.
December 5th 1834
Died at his house in St. Giles’, Mr. William Simpson, Town Clerk of Norwich and Treasurer of the County.
December 8th 1834
Died at Carlton Hall, Mr. Thomas Marsham. “He commenced farming with slender means, and notwithstanding his liberality to the labourers on his estate, and his hospitality to his brother farmers, he accumulated a property of near £30,000.”
December 13th 1834
“Died, last week, Mr. Richard Mingay, well known in Norwich as a violin player. He was a man of many and very versatile talents, which, among other modes, have been displayed upon the stage in the character of Crack, in ‘The Turnpike Gate,’ which he performed with great humour.”
December 15th 1834
At a special assembly of the Common Council, Mr. Beckwith, City Chamberlain, was elected Town Clerk of Norwich; Mr. Skipper, Speaker of the Common Council, was appointed City Chamberlain; and Mr. James Winter was elected Speaker.
December 17th 1834
The Orange and Purple Club entertained 768 Conservative voters at dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. It was announced by the Mayor that Sir James Scarlett, M.P., had been appointed Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer. Lord Stormont and Mr. Robert Campbell Scarlett, the prospective candidates for the city, were received with great enthusiasm. On the 18th dinner was served to 1,004 Conservative electors. Mr. W. J. Utten Browne presided on both occasions.
December 20th 1834
Mr. Richard Hanbury Gurney and Mr. W. Windham were announced to be the “Blue and White” candidates for East Norfolk. The former gentleman addressed the merchants at the Norwich Corn Exchange. Lord Stormont and Mr. Scarlett also spoke, and were attacked by a disorderly crowd. Mr. Gurney went to the assistance of his lordship. On the 22nd Mr. Edward Butcher was ordered by the magistrates to find sureties for having taken part in the disturbance. At a subsequent meeting of the Orange and Purple Club, Lord Stormont acknowledged the “honourable conduct” of Mr. Gurney.
December 24th 1834
Died at Cork, Major-General Sir Robert Travers, elder brother of Sir Eaton Travers, of Ditchingham Lodge, and of Major Travers, of Hedenham Hall. He was riding in Patrick Street, Cork, when his horse was frightened by the band of Wombwell’s Menagerie. The general was thrown, and received fatal injuries.
December 27th 1834
The Hon. E. V. Harbord and Mr. Frank Offley Martin were adopted Liberal candidates for the representation of Norwich.