January 4th 1833
Lord Suffield resigned his chairmanship of the Norfolk Court of Quarter Sessions.
January 11th 1833
In the Court of King’s Bench, the Sheriff of Norwich obtained a rule _nisi_ for a criminal information against Mr. John Teasel, carpenter and builder, a Common Councilman of Norwich, for having taken away one of the poll-books at the last election at Norwich, and for attempting to tear and mutilate it. The rule was discharged on the 31st, on the defendant undertaking to answer an indictment at the ensuing Assizes. At the Norwich Assizes on March 23rd, before Mr. Justice Bolland, application was made on behalf of the defendant to have the case tried by a county jury, upon which it was ordered to stand over till the next Assizes. At the Norfolk Assizes on August 10th, before Mr. Justice Littledale, the defendant was placed upon his trial, and the jury returned a verdict of not guilty.
January 16th 1833
Died at Bracondale, Norwich, aged 80, Mrs. White, mother of Henry Kirke White.
January 22nd 1833
A meeting was held at the Baptist chapel, Orford Hill, Norwich, presided over by Mr. John Cozens, at which a report was made by a committee appointed “to investigate the return of Lord Stormont and Sir James Scarlett,” to the effect that sufficient evidence had been obtained to warrant the presentation of a petition to the House of Commons on account of the “undue election” of the members. The Norwich Election Petition was opened before a Committee of the House of Commons on March 20th. The examination of witnesses commenced on March 21st, and concluded on April 2nd. Counsel addressed the Committee on April 3rd, and on the same day the Chairman (Mr. Charles Shaw Lefevre) announced that the Committee had resolved—(1) That Lord Stormont and Sir James Scarlett were duly elected members for the city of Norwich. (2) That the petition of John Cozens and others was not frivolous nor vexatious. (3) That the opposition to such petition was not frivolous nor vexatious.
February 1st 1833
The portrait of Mr. T. W. Coke, painted by S. Lane, was hung in the Corn Exchange, Norwich. In celebration of the event, a dinner was held at the Norfolk Hotel, presided over by Major Case, who said his family had been tenants on the Holkham estate for 63 years, and his grandfather, who owed much to Mr. Coke, died worth £150,000.
February 2nd 1833
[Advt.] “A grand main of cocks will be fought at the Black Boys Inn, Aylsham, on February 12th, and two following days, between the gentlemen of Norwich and Aylsham, for 5 sovereigns a battle and 50 sovereigns the odd. Feeders: Stafford for Norwich; Overton for Aylsham.”
February 5th 1833
A barque of 220 tons burden, designed for the West India trade, was launched from the yard of Mr. Preston, at Yarmouth.
February 22nd 1833
Died at Winfarthing, Sarah Jessup, aged 101 years, “the last 30 of which, till a year and a half ago, she was employed as walking post from the Post Office at Diss to Winfarthing, a distance of four miles, which she constantly performed in all weathers, and is computed to have travelled more than 13,400 miles. She was married in the reign of George II. She had 16 children, who multiplied to the fourth generation, so that her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren at the time of her decease amounted to 444. Besides these, great-great-grandchildren, some of every degree and age, to the number of 200 and upwards, followed her to the grave, to which she was carried by her four sons.”
February 26th 1833
A desperate affray took place between the coastguard, under Lieut. George Howes, R.N., and a large party of armed smugglers, at Cley-next-the-Sea. The coastguard were obliged to fire several times in self-defence. The contraband goods seized consisted of 127 half-ankers of brandy and between 3,000 and 4,000 pounds of manufactured tobacco.
February 26th 1833
At a public meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor, it was decided to petition the House of Commons to protect children employed in factories from severe and injurious labour, by limiting the hours of their employment.
February 26th 1833
The Lynn and Newmarket mail was proceeding through Methwold when the coach was upset in a deep drain, and one of the horses falling upon Booty, the coachman, he was suffocated.
March 19th 1833
The barque Crawford Davison (George Sandford, master), from Hamburg to London, with 40 horses, of the value of £2,000, on board, struck upon Happisburgh Sand and was lost. The captain and crew were saved. All the horses were drowned, and their carcases sold for £12.
March 19th 1833
At a special general meeting of the subscribers to the Norfolk and Norwich Museum, plans and specifications prepared by Mr. J. Brown, architect, were adopted for the erection of a building “on an eligible site in Exchange Street, near the new Post Office,” at the cost of £1,500, raised in shares of £50 each, to bear interest of 4 per cent. “The front of the intended building will be similar to that of the Temple of Jupiter Ammon.” The first stone was laid on May 27th.
March 19th 1833
The commissions for the holding of the first Lent Assizes at Norwich were opened by Mr. Baron Bolland.
March 21st 1833
Selections from the oratorios of “The Creation” and “Samson” were performed at the Corn Exchange, Norwich, under the direction of Mr. Mueller. “The most remarkable feature of the evening’s performance was a violin concerto by Master David Fisher. With the exception of Paganini, Kieswelter, and Mori, no such violin-playing has been heard within our walls.”
March 22nd 1833
At the Norfolk Assizes, at Norwich, before Mr. Justice Bolland, Mary Wright, aged 28, was found guilty of the murder of her husband and of Richard Darby, by poisoning them at Wighton, and was sentenced to be hanged on March 25th. Pregnancy was pleaded, and a jury of matrons were empanelled, who returned a verdict adverse to the prisoner. By direction of the Court, she was examined by Messrs. Crosse, Scott, and Johnson, surgeons, upon whose certificate she was respited generally. The prisoner on July 11th gave birth to a female child, and sentence was afterwards commuted to transportation for life. The unfortunate woman died in Norwich Castle on November 1st.
March 28th 1833
The 7th Hussars commenced their march from Norwich to Glasgow. The Court of Mayoralty on the 16th passed a vote of thanks to the regiment for the ready aid they had given to preserve the public peace, and expressed their approbation of the conduct of the non-commissioned officers and privates towards the inhabitants. The Hussars were replaced by the 3rd Light Dragoons.
April 1st 1833
The Right Hon. Horatio, Earl of Orford, was elected High Steward of Great Yarmouth, in place of Viscount Exmouth, deceased.
April 6th 1833
A private still was discovered in a house in St. Faith’s Lane, Norwich. Fifteen gallons of spirits recently worked off were seized. The owners of the still were fined £30 each, and in default of payment were sentenced to three months’ imprisonment.
April 9th 1833
A new steam carriage of 2-horse power was exhibited on Foundry Bridge Road, Norwich. It is said to have answered the expectations of the inventor, Mr. Watts, of Rose Lane.
April 12th 1833
Between 400 and 500 of the noblemen, gentlemen, and yeomanry of Norfolk dined at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, in honour of Mr. Coke, upon his retirement from the representation of the county. H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex presided.
April 18th 1833
A trotting match for £50 took place between Mr. Brunning’s Queen of Diamonds and Mr. Mendham’s Jack of Clubs, from Yarmouth Bridge, _via_ Beccles to Halesworth. “The mare was driven in harness by her owner, who weighs 16 st., and the horse was ridden by Mr. Mendham (11 st.). Two miles beyond Beccles the mare gave up. The 15 miles from Yarmouth to Beccles was done in 45 minutes, and the whole 25 miles in 1 hour 33 minutes, by Jack.”
April 24th 1833
Died at his house at Greenwich, aged 76, Mr. P. J. Knights, for many years a well-known shawl manufacturer at Norwich. He served the office of Sheriff in 1809.
April 27th 1833
Fuller Pilch advertised himself as the proprietor of a public-house and pleasure gardens on Bracondale Hill, Norwich, and as the lessee of the Norwich Cricket Ground, in the management of which he was assisted by his brother, William Pilch.
April 27th 1833
It was announced that the county justices had hired the house of Mr. Hawkes, Bethel Street, Norwich, as lodgings for his Majesty’s Judges of Assize.
April 27th 1833
Mdlle. Celeste commenced a six nights’ engagement at the Theatre Royal, Norwich. “For our latitude this lady exerts herself too much in the pirouette, considering the approximation of spectators in a provincial theatre to the stage.”
May 1st 1833
Mr. Alderman Samuel Bignold was elected Mayor of Norwich.
May 6th 1833
Mr. and Mrs. Wood commenced a four nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, prior to their departure to America. They appeared in “The Barber of Seville” and the musical farce of “The Quaker.”
May 7th 1833
The horses of the Regulator coach, from Holt to London, started off at full speed from Guist Post Office, during the temporary absence of the coachman. A girl had the presence of mind to close the tollgate, which the horses attempted to leap, smashed it to atoms, and fell. The animals were severely injured, and the coach greatly damaged.
May 16th 1833
Mr. Yates and Mrs. Waylett appeared at Norwich Theatre as Flutter and Letitia Hardy (“The Belle’s Stratagem”). They afterwards acted in “Clari” (opera), “Don Giovanni,” “The Four Sisters,” and “Midas’” (burletta). Mr. Yates also gave his entertainments, “Portraits and Sketches” and “Views of Life.”
June 1st 1833
On this date was published the first of the series of remarkable accounts describing the ghostly visitations at Syderstone Parsonage, the residence of the Rev. Mr. Stewart, curate, and rector of Thwaite.
June 3rd 1833
Died, aged 101, Richard Smith, of Swanton Morley.
June 18th 1833
The Guild Day festivities at Norwich, on the occasion of the swearing in as Mayor of Mr. Samuel Bignold, were attended by Viscount Stormont, M.P., and Sir James Scarlett, M.P., the latter of whom took his oath as an honorary freeman of the city. The Mayor entertained 1,100 guests at the Guild feast at St. Andrew’s Hall, and upwards of 500 attended the ball at the Assembly Rooms, where the dancing was opened by the Mayor and Miss Wodehouse, daughter of the Lord Lieutenant.
June 19th 1833
Two orange and purple banners, designed by a member of the College of Arms, were presented by the Conservative ladies of Norwich to Viscount Stormont, M.P., and Sir James Scarlett, M.P. The ceremony took place at the Guildhall, where a large company was entertained by the Mayor.
June 20th 1833
Upwards of 750 electors in the “Orange and Purple” interest were entertained at dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. A second contingent, numbering 1,000, dined there on the 21st. Mr. W. J. Utten Browne presided on both occasions, and Lord Stormont, M.P., was also present. The dinners were provided by public subscription.
July 7th 1833
During a severe thunderstorm “a fire-ball, apparently about the size of a man’s head,” fell upon the thatched roof of the Black Tower, Butter Hills, Norwich. The middle and lower rooms, occupied by a person named Brooks, and the upper storey, where a society of artisans assembled for astronomical observations, were entirely consumed. The society’s valuable apparatus were destroyed.
July 15th 1833
The resuscitated race meeting at Holkham was attended by 10,000 spectators. The races were held on the sands. “By the time the hunters’ stakes had been decided the tide was fast approaching, and the leading people retired to a booth, where dinner was served, under the presidency of Mr. Brown, of Pudding Norton. The tide retiring, the company again occupied the sands.”
July 17th 1833
The Bishop of Lincoln, officiating for the Bishop of Norwich, confirmed 2,000 persons at East Dereham church. On the following day his lordship administered the rite to 2,068 persons at Norwich Cathedral; and on the 19th to 1,100 at Redenhall.
July 18th 1833
A single wicket match between Fuller Pilch and T. Marsdon took place on the Norwich Cricket Ground. Pilch won, by 70 runs. The return match was played on Hyde Park Ground, Sheffield, on August 5th, when Pilch won by 128 runs.
July 20th 1833
The Norwich Court of Mayoralty elected Mr. W. J. Utten Browne to the office of Sheriff.
July 20th 1833
A duel was fought on the North Denes, Yarmouth. “The combatants were Mr. H. B--- and Mr. C. W---, the former seconded by Mr. J. B--- and the latter by Mr. W. C---, of the medical profession in N---. At the first shot Mr. W.’s pistol missed, and his antagonist fired in the air; at the second Mr. B. again fired in the air, and Mr. W. missed his aim. Another try took place, Mr. W. again missing and his antagonist firing as before. At the fourth and last Mr. W.’s ball just grazed Mr. B.’s thumb, when the parties appeared to have been satisfied, for they shortly after left the ground. The cause of the meeting arose at Maxim’s Marine Hotel on the beach.”
August 27th 1833
Mr. Alderman Steward was elected freemen’s Sheriff at Norwich.
August 29th 1833
The Norwich Court of Guardians held a meeting to take into consideration the suggestions contained in a letter received from the Mayor (Mr. S. Bignold), for the establishment of a joint stock company for spinning yarn on a scale calculated to give extensive employment to the poor. The subject was further considered at a meeting convened by the Mayor at the Guildhall, on September 5th, when the Norwich Yarn Company was formed, and by October 1st a capital of £26,000 had been subscribed in shares of £100 each. (_See_ February 27th, 1834.)
August 31st 1833
A severe gale, which caused great damage to shipping, and resulted in the loss of many lives, occurred on the Norfolk coast. The Leith smack Earl of Wemyss went ashore at Brancaster; a heavy sea broke into the passengers’ cabin, and six ladies, a gentleman, and four children were drowned. Among the deceased were Miss Susan Roche, a young lady of great musical ability, and sister of Mr. A. D. Roche, the composer. (_See_ October 16th.)
September 17th 1833
The Norfolk and Norwich Musical Festival (held on this occasion for the benefit of the Hospital, the Blind Institution, the Eye Infirmary, and the Dispensary) commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall. The principal vocal performers were Madame Malibran, Miss H. Cawse, Miss Bruce, Master Howe, Madame De Meric, Signer Douzelli, Mr. Horncastle, Mr. Hobbs, Mr. E. Taylor, and Mr. H. Phillips; conductor, Sir George Smart. Selections were given from “The Creation,” “The Last Judgment,” “The Deluge,” and “Israel in Egypt.” The Festival concluded on the 20th with a fancy dress ball. The total receipts were nearly £5,000, and the expenses about £4,200.
September 20th 1833
Died at Yaxham Rectory, the Rev. Dr. Johnson, rector of that parish, with Welbourne annexed. “He was the friend of Cowper, and editor of his letters and posthumous works.”
September 30th 1833
Died at Gorgate, near East Dereham, aged 77, the Rev. Thomas Crowe Munnings, M.A., rector of Beetley-cum-East Bilney. He was a well-known and prominent agriculturist.
September 30th 1833
The arrival of the City of Norwich trader and the Squire (London trader) “rendered this date ever memorable in the history of the city by its being the day on which Norwich became a port.” These vessels, the first that had entered the Norwich river direct from the sea by way of the New Cut, were towed to the city from Surlingham Reach by a steam tug, with a band playing and colours flying. The river banks from Carrow “balance bridge” to the Foundry were thronged by thousands of citizens, and at Rudrum’s Wharf the City of Norwich was boarded by the Mayor (Mr. S. Bignold) and several members of the Corporation. The bells of St. Peter Mancroft were rung, and the directors of the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation entertained a large company at dinner at the Rampant Horse Inn. The success of the day’s proceedings was marred by the drowning, in Surlingham Reach, of a lad named Allerton, son of the master of the City of Norwich.
October 4th 1833
The first general meeting was held of the Harleston Agricultural Society, established by the owners and occupiers of land, for the encouragement of skill and for promoting and rewarding industry and good conduct among cottagers, servants, and labourers.
October 5th 1833
The head-mastership of Norwich Free Grammar School was rendered vacant by the resignation of the Rev. T. Kidd.
October 13th 1833
Died at Hethersett, aged 36, Mr. Elias Norgate, first secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society, the plan of which was suggested by his father, Mr. Thomas Starling Norgate.
October 16th 1833
An inquiry was opened by the magistrates at Docking, under authority of the Secretary of State, “to ascertain for his own and the public satisfaction whether there had been any loss of life by culpable negligence or loss of property by dishonesty,” on the occasion of the wreck of the Earl of Wemyss smack on Brancaster beach, on August 30th. As a result of the inquiry, Mr. William Newman Reeve was committed for trial on the charge of removing from the wreck certain property which he alleged he was protecting on behalf of his father-in-law, who was lord of the manor. At the Norfolk Lent Assizes, held at Norwich before Mr. Baron Vaughan on March 26th, 1834, the defendant was placed upon his trial, and was defended by Sir James Scarlett, M.P. His lordship, in directing an acquittal, said the evidence had utterly failed; it was unnecessary for Mr. Reeve to say anything in support of his character, for nothing had been made out against him. Amid applause in court the Judge added there was not the slightest stain upon the accused. Another case arising out of the same wreck was tried at the Norfolk Summer Assizes, on July 30th, 1834, before Mr. Justice Bosanquet. The accused, Robert Allen, Charles Oakes, and James Ward were charged with feloniously taking certain articles from the wreck. The jury returned a verdict of not guilty.
October 21st 1833
The West Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry commenced a week’s training at King’s Lynn.
October 30th 1833
Du Crow’s Circus Company commenced a season’s performances in a wooden building on the Castle Meadow, Norwich. It was known as “The National Arena and Equestrian Studio,” and was the first of the temporary buildings periodically erected in this locality for entertainments of the kind.
November 6th 1833
Mr. William Dalrymple was presented with a valuable silver salver by the Mayor, Sheriffs, citizens, and commonalty of Norwich, in acknowledgment of the care and skill he had displayed in the performance of his duties as surgeon to the Great Hospital and Doughty’s Hospital during the period of 28 years.
November 9th 1833
Died at St. Michael at Coslany, Norwich, Ann, widow of Leonard Atkinson. “She was born in this parish December 24th, 1728, and had scarcely quitted it more than a week during the space of nearly 105 years. Free from wrinkles and decrepitude, she possessed her faculties unclouded till within a few months of her decease.”
November 13th 1833
The 50th anniversary of the Norwich Public Library was celebrated by a dinner at the White Swan, presided over by Dr. England, president of the institution.
November 15th 1833
A special assembly of the Norwich Corporation was held, to take into consideration the application of Mr. George Long and Mr. John Buckle, two of the Commissioners named in the Municipal Commission, for the production of charters and other muniments of the Corporation. A resolution was passed stating that the Corporation had no wish to withhold the information required, “but they protested against the Commission as illegal and unconstitutional, and denied the right of the Commissioners to make any inquiries.” At the opening of the Commission, on November 25th, the Sheriffs (Mr. W. J. Utten Browne and Mr. Edward Steward) declined to attend or to allow any of their officers to give evidence relative to the constitution of the Sheriffs Court, on the ground that “a Commission issued by virtue of the Royal prerogative alone was a process unknown to the law of England, and eminently hostile to public liberty.” The inquiry lasted twenty-two days, and concluded on December 19th.
November 18th 1833
Ducrow advertised the representation of a Spanish bull-fight at his Norwich circus. “To prevent any misconception on the part of visitors to the arena, and at the same time to add to the surprising nature of the performance, ladies and others are informed that the bull is impersonated by one of Mr. Ducrow’s horses, tutored by him for the purpose, enveloped in an elastic skin, and so managed as to deceive even the keenest eye.”
November 22nd 1833
Died at Guanajuato, Mexico, Lieutenant John Thomas Borrow, of the West Norfolk Militia, eldest son of Captain Borrow, of Norwich.
November 28th 1833
Mr. George Long, Municipal Commissioner, held an inquiry into the affairs of the Corporation of Castle Rising. Mr. F. Lane, of Lynn, the Recorder, stated that he had no charter nor papers of any kind to produce. The Corporation consisted of a Recorder, Mayor, one alderman, and a serjeant-at-mace. The Mayor and alderman served in turn the office of Chief Magistrate. There were about 50 burgage tenants, and the Corporation property was about £20 a year, arising from land, and with the money the Mayor gave each year two dinners to the leet. The Corporation had no debts, no prison, and but one offence had been committed in the borough for a number of years.
December 23rd 1833
Two leaden cases were dug up from a piece of ground at the east end of Wymondham church. One measured 6 ft 2 in. in length, and contained the mummified remains of an adult female; the other, 16¼ inches in length, a foetus of about the fourth month. The examination of the remains was conducted in the church on December 27th, by Mr. John Dalrymple, of Norwich, in the presence of sixty scientific and medical men. “As the mummies were taken from the site of the original choir, the female was most probably nearly allied to the founder of the abbey, William De Abbay or Daubeny, who died in the year 1156.”
December 24th 1833
An altar piece, copied from Rubens’ “Descent from the Cross,” and about one-fourth the size of the original picture, presented to St Peter’s church, Yarmouth, by Col. Mason, was on this day placed in position under the personal superintendence of the donor.