January 6th 1832
The Norfolk Court of Quarter Sessions made renewed efforts to procure the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford to Norwich. The Norwich Court of Mayoralty, on the 14th, addressed a memorial to the Lord Chancellor on the same subject; and it was officially announced on March 3rd that the Assizes would be adjourned from Thetford to Norwich, as in the previous year. On March 8th the Corporation conferred the honorary freedom of the city upon Mr. John Stracey, of Sprowston, “in testimony of the sense they entertain of that gentleman’s most valuable services in bringing under the notice of the Lord Chancellor the question of the removal of the Lent Assizes to this city.” In the House of Commons, on the 15th, Mr. Grant gave notice of his intention to bring in the Norwich Assize Bill, and on April 3rd the Bill was read a first time. The second reading was carried by 44 to 13 on May 23rd; and on June 4th, in the face of strong opposition, it was read a third time and passed. The Bill was read a first time in the House of Lords on the 5th, a second time on the 14th, and a third time on the 18th. The Royal assent was given to the measure on the 22nd, and on the 23rd the intelligence was received in Norwich with the ringing of St. Peter’s bells. “It is worthy of remark that the Lent Assizes for this county, jointly with those of Suffolk, were held at Thetford so early as the reign of Henry II., and that the first application for their removal to Norwich was made as far back as the year 1649. Applications have been frequently and unsuccessfully repeated at intervals until the present year.”
January 17th 1832
A Bill for extending the time for completing the works undertaken by the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Company was read a second time in the House of Commons. It afterwards passed through all its stages in both Houses. On June 4th juries were empanelled for the purpose of hearing and determining claims in the purchase of some of the land required by the company in making the cut for connecting the rivers Yare and Waveney. The directors, on July 7th, accepted the tender of Mr. Thomas Townshend, of Birmingham, to make the cut and to complete it by December 1st.
January 18th 1832
Died at the age of 102, Mrs. Twiddy, of Snailwell, near Newmarket, mother of Mr. James Twiddy, formerly parish clerk of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. She was a native of Attleborough. Within a short time of her death she frequently walked six miles a day.
January 23rd 1832
Norwich Theatre was re-opened for the season. Mr. Power commenced a short engagement, during which he appeared in a round of Irish characters.
January 28th 1832
[Advt.] “A great main of cocks will be fought at the Black Boys Inn, Aylsham, on February 14th and 15th, between the gentlemen of Norwich and Norfolk, for £5 a battle and £100 the odd. On Tuesday evening a turn-out for £10; and on Thursday a grand Welch main by 16 subscribers for a silver tankard. All to be fought in silver spurs. Feeders: Steward for Norwich; Overton for Norfolk.”
January 31st 1832
Mr. Dowton, of Drury Lane Theatre, commenced a four nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre, as Sir John Falstaff. His other characters included Dr. Cantwell (“The Hypocrite”), Adam Brock (“Charles the Twelfth”), Sir Anthony Absolute, and Abednego (“The Jew and the Doctor”). He afterwards performed at Lynn Theatre.
February 4th 1832
The Norwich Court of Mayoralty memorialised the Committee of Buying of the East India Company not to suspend their “usual and constant order for camlets for the China market,” as a numerous class of the manufacturing population of the city derived their chief subsistence from this source. On March 21st the East India Company invited tenders for the manufacture of 5,000 pieces.
February 18th 1832
Mr. Thomas Foyson, aged 53, was accidentally drowned at Norwich by falling into a vat of vinegar which he was in the act of gauging.
February 22nd 1832
At a Levée held at St. James’s Palace, the King conferred the honour of knighthood upon Mr. John Harrison Yallop, Mayor of Norwich, on his presenting to his Majesty the address adopted at a Common Hall held in Norwich in the previous October, on the subject of the Reform Bill.
March 2nd 1832
The funeral took place at Scole of Ann Chapman, aged 92. “Her head was placed contrary to the usual way, agreeably to her desire, which she had made known to the sexton. She was 47 years old when she married, and her husband only 17. She had 18 children, 13 sons and five daughters, all of whom arrived to the age of maturity. Five of the sons served in the Army. This remarkable woman seldom took more than two or three hours’ sleep of the twenty-four. She could see to thread the finest needle, and she retained her faculties to the latest period of her existence.”
March 6th 1832
At a ploughing match at Roughton, John Colman, aged 92, beat all competitors, and was awarded the prize.
March 13th 1832
Married, at St. Cuthbert’s, Thetford, Mr. Bussey, schoolmaster, aged 29, to Mrs. Judith Millen, aged 78. “A party of heroines attended the happy couple, and performed their melodious chorus upon saucepans and kettles, and to complete the band a watchman’s rattle was added.”
March 14th 1832
Beard, the guard of the Red Rover coach, “made an attempt” to play Crack (“The Turnpike Gate”), at Lynn Theatre. “The best advice we can give him is to stick to his own stage in future. His comic singing, however, was good.”
March 20th 1832
Three troops of the 7th Hussars, commanded by Lieut.-Colonel Keane, marched into Norwich from Birmingham.
March 21st 1832
This day being appointed by Royal proclamation for fasting and humiliation, the Mayor and Corporation of Norwich attended service at the Cathedral, and collections were made at the doors for charitable uses. Services were held at the parish churches, and alms were given for the poor. The day was similarly observed at Yarmouth.
March 23rd 1832
At the Lent Assizes at Thetford (held there for the last time), before Mr. Baron Vaughan, the libel action, Hunter _v._ Platten, was tried by a special jury. Defendant was steward to Sir Thomas Hare, and sent to the NORFOLK CHRONICLE and “Norwich Mercury,” for publication, a paragraph in which he described the plaintiff as “a person who has been for many years a notorious game buyer and a disgrace to the name of gentleman.” The CHRONICLE modified the expressions contained in the paragraph; the “Mercury” published it as sent. Witnesses for the defence proved that they had seen 15 or 20 head of game on the plaintiff’s premises at one time, and that he had stated “he would buy game as long as money would purchase it, as the gentry round that part of the country were mean humbugs.” The jury returned a verdict for plaintiff, damages one farthing, and costs.
March 24th 1832
The 1st Royal Dragoons marched from Norwich for Canterbury.
March 24th 1832
“Died lately at Loddon, aged 86, Thomas Reynolds. He presented to the inhabitants and caused to be erected, at his sole expense, in 1821, a finely-toned organ by which the church of Loddon is ornamented.”
March 26th 1832
Mr. T. P. Cooke made his first appearance at Norwich Theatre, in the character of Martin Heywood (“The Rent Day”). His other impersonations included William (“Black-eyed Susan”), Long Tom Coffin (“The Pilot”), the Demon (“The Fate of Frankinstein”), Sir Roderick Dhu (“Lady of the Lake”), and _poses plastique_.
March 30th 1832
A jury empanelled to try a civil action at the Lent Assizes at Thetford had a remarkable experience. The trial commenced at four o’clock in the afternoon of the 30th, and terminated at eight o’clock on the evening of the 31st, when the jury retired to consider their verdict. They were locked up all night, and did not find a verdict until 11 o’clock on the morning of April 1st. The case came before the Court of King’s Bench on April 19th, when application was made for a new trial, on the ground that refreshments had been given to one of the jurors!
March 31st 1832
The thanks of the Norwich Court of Mayoralty were unanimously voted to Lieut.-Col. Somerset and officers of the 1st Royal Dragoons, “for the highly satisfactory manner in which they had conducted themselves whale stationed in the city, and for aiding in the suppression of riotous and tumultuous assemblies,” and to the non-commissioned officers and privates “for the way in which they had discharged their duty as connected with the peace of the city.”
April 2nd 1832
A steeplechase took place from a field near Wheatacre White House to Thurlton Church (distance between four and five miles), between a bay mare, the property of Mr. Charles Duppa, of Kent (owner up), and a chestnut horse belonging to Mr. John Carr, of Beales (ridden by his whipper-in, R. Warner). The mare won easily. Protest entered. On the same day another steeplechase was ridden from Gissing Church to Thurlton Church, between “the celebrated little grey horse,” the property of Mr. Charles Ellis, of Shelfanger Hall, and a “grey mare of hunting celebrity,” belonging to Mr. Williams, of Diss. The horse won.
April 5th 1832
The first outbreak of cholera in Norfolk occurred at Stow Bridge, and in two months 33 cases were reported, of which 13 terminated fatally. The disease made its appearance at Cawston on May 25th; and in Crown Court, St. Peter Hungate, Norwich, on August 15th. The Board of Health directed the bodies of all persons who had died of cholera to be interred within twenty-four hours, the clothes and bedding of the deceased to be destroyed, and surviving friends to be indemnified by the Corporation of Guardians. The medical men of the city gratuitously superintended the parishes allotted to each. On September 12th several cases were reported at the Bethel, and eight inmates died. The last official return was made on October 18th, when it was stated that the total number of cases in Norwich was 320, and the deaths 128. Thanksgiving services were held at the Cathedral and parish churches on November 11th, on the termination of the outbreak.
April 9th 1832
A sloop of 60 tons burden, intended for the coasting trade, was launched from Mr. Thomas Bailey’s yard, at Carrow.
April 12th 1832
A new building, known as the Royal Norfolk and Norwich Bazaar, in St. Andrew’s Street, Norwich, was opened. It was erected for the encouragement of “female and domestic industry.” Counters were let at small rents to “respectable females recommended by the lady patronesses.”
April 14th 1832
Died at Earl’s Terrace, Kensington, aged 25, the Lady Henrietta Ann, wife of Mr. Charles Knight Murray, and sister of the Earl of Rothes.
April 15th 1832
Died at his house, at Southtown, Yarmouth, aged 69, the Rev. Edward Valpy, B.D., for many years head master of the Norwich Free Grammar School. He was rector of Thwaite All Saints and vicar of South Walsham St. Mary the Virgin.
April 16th 1832
Married at the Hotel of the British Ambassador, Paris, by the Rev. Thomas Sayers, Mr. Isaac Preston, Recorder of Norwich, to Frances, daughter of the Rev. J. Jephson, Prebendary of Armagh, and brother of Sir Richard Jephson, Bart.
April 23rd 1832
Mr. and Mrs. Wood (formerly Miss Paton) appeared at Norwich Theatre as Hawthorn and Rosetta (“Love in a Village”). On subsequent evenings they played the parts of Tom Tug and Wilelmina (“The Waterman”), Malcolm and Zelinda (“The Slave”), Steady and Gillian (“The Quaker”), Henry Bertram and Julia Mannering (“Guy Mannering”), and Masaniello and Princess Elvira (“Masaniello”).
May 1st 1832
Mr. S. W. Stevenson, one of the proprietors of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, was elected Mayor of Norwich.
May 3rd 1832
At a meeting of the Common Council at Norwich, Mr. W. J. Utten Browne moved that a petition be presented to the House of Lords against the Reform Bill, which he described as “a tissue of fraud, folly, and injustice, hideous in its anomalies, and displaying more profound ignorance of sound constitutional law than any other production he had ever witnessed.” The motion was adopted by 40 votes against 9. An address to the King was circulated in Norwich on May 12th, acknowledging “the patriotic course adopted by his Majesty in rejecting the pernicious and unconstitutional counsel of Ministers completely to overwhelm the free deliberations of the House of Peers by creating a large addition to that body pledged to carry through the measure, in opposition to the recorded sentiments of the large majority of that right honourable House.” The address and signatures were inscribed in three closely-written columns on thirteen yards of parchment. On the 14th a public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, “for the purpose of adopting such measures as may be deemed expedient at the present momentous crisis for securing to all classes of the people the benefit of the Reform Bill brought before Parliament by Earl Grey and members of the late Administration.” A “Norfolk Address” to the King was circulated, acknowledging “the recent proofs of his Majesty’s desire to maintain the rights and privileges of the House of Lords.” The intelligence of the passing of the Bill by the House of Lords was received at Lynn and other places on June 5th with great rejoicing. The celebration at Norwich was deferred to July 5th, when a procession of about 2,400 persons, decorated with blue and white favours, marched from the Castle Ditches to the Cricket Ground. A cavalcade of 95 horsemen was headed by Mr. R. H. Gurney, M.P., accompanied by Mr. W. W. Windham, Mr. Anthony Hudson, Mr. W. Foster, and Mr. Peter Finch. Dinner was served for 2,000 in a marquee which extended the length of the field. The greatest order and regularity were observed throughout the day.
May 5th 1832
His Majesty issued a writ, upon the report and recommendations of the Committee of Privileges of the House of Lords, certifying that Col. Wilson, of Didlington Hall, had made out his claim as the oldest co-heir to the Barony of Berners.
May 12th 1832
The Norwich and Newark Union Coach commenced to run daily (Sundays excepted), from the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, through Dereham, Swaffham, Lynn, Boston, and Sleaford, to Newark, where connection was effected with the northern coaches.
May 27th 1832
One of the large buildings comprised in Messrs. Grout, Baylis, and Co.’s factory in Barrack Yard, Yarmouth, was destroyed by fire. The building was five storeys high, 105 ft. long, and 55 ft. wide, and its erection, in 1818, cost about £7,000. Between 400 and 500 girls employed by the firm were thrown out of work, and the loss sustained was estimated at from £12,000 to £15,000.
May 28th 1832
The Rev. Arthur Iveson, of South Lynn, was murdered by a pistol shot fired by his son, the Rev. Thomas Iveson, a person of unsound mind. The deceased was rector of East Bradenham and perpetual curate of Shouldham and Shouldham Thorpe, and Tottenhill. At Lynn Quarter Sessions, on July 9th, Thomas Iveson was placed on his trial for the murder of his father. The jury found that he was insane at the time the crime was committed, and he was ordered to be detained in custody. He remained in Lynn Gaol until September 3rd, when he was removed to “the lunatic asylum, in St. Lawrence,” Norwich.
June 16th 1832
Dr. Yelloly resigned his office as a physician of the Norfolk and Norwich. Hospital. Dr. Edward Lubbock was elected to fill the vacancy on July 7th.
June 16th 1832
The case of the King _v._ the Mayor and Recorder of Thetford came before the Court of King’s Bench. The defendants were required to show why they should not hold a weekly Court of Pleas at the Guildhall, according to the charter of Queen Elizabeth, which directed that the Court should proceed according to the rules and customs of a similar Court at Norwich. It was objected that the affidavits did not show the existence of the Norwich Court at the date of the Thetford charter, but only that a certain Court of Pleas was granted to that city by a charter of Charles II. On the other side it was alleged that the Thetford Court had actually been held within fifty years. Lord Tenterden: The charter of Charles II. may have confirmed a previous grant. We think the objection has been answered. The rule must be absolute.
June 18th 1832
Robert Woodrow, gamekeeper to Col. Peel, was summoned before the magistrates at Thetford for seizing the rods of two persons fishing in the river of that town. It was contended that Col. Peel merely hired the manor of Mr. A. Baring, and that he could not show a right to the fishing, the river being navigable, and, as such, _prima facie_ public to the inhabitants, who had immemorially enjoyed the right. The magistrates decided to the contrary on both points, and dismissed the complaint.
June 19th 1832
Guild Day was observed at Norwich as usual. The Mayor-elect (Mr. S. W. Stevenson) entertained 830 guests at the Guild feast, and gave a ball at the Assembly Rooms in the evening.
June 26th 1832
An address, congratulating the King “on his happy escape from the late atrocious attack on his Royal person at Ascot,” was presented to his Majesty at a Levée at St. James’s Palace by the Mayor (Mr. S. W. Stevenson), the Deputy-Mayor (Sir J. H. Yallop), and Lieut.-Col. Harvey, on behalf of the Corporation of Norwich.
June 30th 1832
The electors of the division of East Norfolk, constituted under the provisions of the new Reform Act, met at Norwich for the purpose of adopting candidates. The friends of Mr. Peach, M.P., and Lord Henry Cholmondeley, M.P., the Tory candidates, met at the Rampant Horse Inn, and the supporters of Mr. William W. Windham and Major Keppel, the Whig candidates, at the Angel Inn.
July 7th 1832
Intelligence was received at Norwich that the Right Hon. Robert Grant, M.P., “at about the time his constituents were remembering him in their flowing cups at the Reform dinner,” had issued an address to the electors of Finsbury. On the 13th Lord Stormont and Sir James Scarlett were adopted Conservative candidates, and on the 14th it was announced that Mr. R. H. Gurney would have as his colleague Mr. H. Bellenden Ker. A third candidate, Mr. William Eagle, entered the field, but his principles were doubtful. At a meeting held at the Bowling Green Inn, on August 7th, he stated that he belonged to neither party, for “he looked upon the Tory as a highwayman and the Whig as a pickpocket.” Mr. Eagle retired before the nomination took place. The Conservative candidates made their first public appearance at a dinner held at St. Andrew’s Hall, under the presidency of Mr. J. S. Patteson, on July 17th, and from that date onwards prosecuted a vigorous canvass. (_See_ December 10th.)
July 16th 1832
Died at Binham, aged 98, Mrs. Elizabeth Leake, who “for upwards of fifty years travelled as daily post from Binham to Wells, from which employment she had retired about 14 years.”
July 23rd 1832
Died at Hardingham Rectory, aged 74, the Rev. Walter Whiter, M.A., formerly Fellow of Clare Hall, Cambridge. He was instituted to the rectory in 1797, and was the author of some ingenious works on literature and criticism, and more particularly of the ‘Etymologicon Universale,’ a work of the greatest labour and research, and replete with new and ingenious views of the origin and affinity of languages.”
July 28th 1832
“Died in London, of cholera, last week, Mr. William Willement, manufacturer, of Colchester. The deceased went to London on the Saturday previous, was taken ill on the Sunday, and died and was buried on Monday. He served the office of Sheriff of Norwich in 1816.”
July 30th 1832
Norwich Theatre re-opened for the Assize week. Mr. Gill, a comic actor, who afterwards became a great favourite on the Norwich stage, made his first appearance here. Mr. Braham on this date commenced a five nights’ engagement, and appeared in a round of his principal characters.
August 6th 1832
George Borrow, writing to the NORFOLK CHRONICLE on this date, suggested the derivation of the word “Tory.” “Tory,” he wrote, “is composed of three Irish words, and doubtless originated amongst the Irish adherents of Charles II. at the time they were suffering under the sway of Cromwell and were sighing for the Restoration. The words are Tar a Ri, and their pronunciation is the same as that of ‘Tory,’ or if there be any difference, it consists in a scarcely distinguishable drawl. Their meaning is, ‘Come, O King.’”
August 6th 1832
Died at East Dereham, aged 73, Mr. Fisher, many years manager of the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians. “Mr. Fisher made his first appearance as an amateur at Norwich Theatre, in the character of Lubin (‘The Quaker’). Mr. Barrett, who was then manager, was so much gratified with the performance that he persuaded him to make the stage his profession, and offered him a liberal engagement, which he accepted, and remained with the company some years. As manager of the Norfolk and Suffolk Company, he raised it to a degree of respectability equal to any provincial theatre in the kingdom. As a manager he was esteemed, and by his indefatigable industry he has been enabled to leave his sons eleven theatres, many of which have been recently built and elegantly decorated. As an actor he displayed much talent. He was an affectionate parent and warm friend, and in the strictest sense an honest, just, and upright man.”
August 14th 1832
Messrs. Bell and Deane, divers, engaged in exploring the Guernsey Lily transport, lost off Yarmouth in the year 1799, recovered one of the brass guns, which they fired in token of success. The Guernsey Lily was returning from Holland with a large and valuable freight of military stores, when she got upon the Cross Sand and foundered in Yarmouth Roads, as nearly as possible three miles due east of the jetty. Many of her stores were recovered, little the worse for an immersion of 33 years.
August 28th 1832
A sharp contest took place at Norwich on the election of the freemen’s Sheriff. Mr. William Foster was the “Blue and White,” and Mr. Alderman Steward the “Purple and Orange” candidate. “Bribery to a vast amount was resorted to, and the last few votes cost a heavy sum.” Result: Foster, 1,282; Steward, 1,275. A scrutiny was demanded by both sides, and was commenced by the Mayor on September 8th. After an enquiry lasting twelve days, Mr. Foster was declared elected.
August 30th 1832
Died at Cringleford, aged 50, Mr. John Staniforth Patteson. He was eldest son of Mr. John Patteson, of St. Helen’s, served the office of Sheriff of Norwich in 1811, was elected Alderman for the Great Ward of Mancroft in 1830, and was Mayor in 1823–4. He was also a magistrate, and a deputy-lieutenant for the county of Norfolk, and held the Lieut.-Colonelcy of the East Norfolk Militia. His remains were buried at St. Peter Mancroft church, on September 4th.
September 1st 1832
“At a meeting of the inhabitants of Diss, held last week, it was resolved that the present peal of eight bells should be recast, with an additional weight of metal. A subscription was opened which, in three days, amounted to all the money needful, without any charge upon the church rate of the parish.” The work was done at the Downham Market Foundry. The bells were met on their way to Diss by a large concourse of the inhabitants, who assembled at Roydon White Hart, and, forming in procession with the Diss band and the handbell ringers at their head, escorted the trucks to the town. The treble, sixth, seventh, and tenor were “maiden”; the others needed but slight alteration. The tenor weighed 23 cwt., and the total weight of the peal was 98 cwt. 2 qrs. 10 lbs.—more than 40 cwt. heavier than the former peal. The bells were “opened” on January 7th, 1833, by the St. Peter Mancroft Company, Norwich, and by other companies; public dinners were held at the different inns, in celebration of the event, and a silver-mounted snuff-box, made out of the polished oak of the old frame, was presented to the rector, the Rev. William Manning.
September 2nd 1832
Died at Norwich, aged 67, the Rev. Joseph Kinghorn, 44 years minister of the Baptist congregation at St. Mary’s. “His literary qualities were unwearied diligence and deep and erudite enquiry, especially into all subjects connected with theology and moral philosophy.”
September 4th 1832
Mr. Charles Turner was elected an Alderman for the Great Ward of Mancroft, Norwich, in place of Mr. J. S. Patteson, deceased.
September 11th 1832
A curious incident was witnessed at the marriage, at Guestwick, by the Rev. J. Blake, of Mr. Samuel Goldsmith, miller, of Corpusty, to Miss Mary Goldsmith, of the former place. “The ceremony being over and the clergyman about to retire, the gentleman who gave away the bride, Mr. George Barton, of Wood Dalling, unexpectedly took another licence from his pocket and called out, ‘Stay, sir, and marry me.’ The ceremony was again repeated, and Mr. Barton was united to the bridesmaid, Miss Hannah Goldsmith, the sister of the other bride, Mr. and Mrs. Goldsmith performing in their turn the necessary offices for this couple. The village bells rang gaily, and a great deal of merry-making followed these nuptials.”
October 6th 1832
Died at his house, St. Giles’, Norwich, aged 73, Mr. William Burt. He served the office of Sheriff in 1814, was elected Alderman of the Great Ward of Mancroft in 1815, and was Mayor in 1820. Mr. Edmund Newton was elected Alderman in his place.
October 8th 1832
The Norwich Eldon Club held its first anniversary dinner at the Waggon and Horses Inn, Tombland.
October 11th 1832
Died at Hindolvestone, Mr. Thomas Gardner, groom of the Great Chamber to the King. “He had the honour to serve in that capacity during the whole of the late reign, and also in the reign of George III., having held the appointment upwards of thirty-three years.”
October 17th 1832
The first revision of voters’ lists, under the Act of 2 William IV., c. 45, commenced in the Eastern division of the county at Long Stratton; the revising barristers for the Western division commenced their circuit at Thetford on the 25th. The revision of the Norwich lists commenced on the 22nd. It was described “as the vexatious and irritating process introduced by the Reform Bill”; and it resulted in the removal from the city lists of the names of between 300 and 400 persons who had hitherto been accustomed to vote.
October 23rd 1832
Mr. Cozens, of London, while shooting on the estate of Mr. Hardy, at Letheringsett, was killed by a gunshot wound accidentally inflicted by one of the party.
October 23rd 1832
A general court-martial, of which General Sir Robert Macfarlane, K.C.B., G.C.H., was president, commenced an inquiry at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, into charges preferred against certain privates for disobeying the lawful commands of the Colonel of the 7th Hussars. At a parade of the regiment for ball practice on September 27th, Col. Keane gave the word “Attention,” when, to his surprise, not a man obeyed the command. Seizing one of the men, Private Philip Pitman, he marched him to the officers’ quarters, and had him tried by court-martial for insubordination. He was sentenced to receive 200 lashes, which were administered immediately, in the presence of the whole regiment. All the men were armed with their weapons, and carried ball cartridge. This action on the part of the Colonel restored discipline and obedience to orders. Each prisoner made a long written defence. Their principal complaint was that the regiment was overworked. Colonel Keane replied that what had been ordered was by direction of the War Office; and the men had been kept constantly employed in consequence of the prevalence of cholera in Norwich. The court concluded its sittings on November 10th. The sentences, approved by his Majesty, were as follow:—Private John Martin, transportation for life; Thomas Almond, seven years’ transportation; Henry Bone, seven years; Charles Edwards, 12 months’ imprisonment; and John Clayson, 14 years’ transportation. Five non-commissioned officers were reduced to the ranks, and the regimental sergt.-major suspended. During the progress of the court-martial, a troop of the 1st Dragoon Guards was stationed at Dereham, and a detachment of the 12th Regiment of Foot at Wymondham.
October 31st 1832
A mysterious individual, known as “The Wandering Piper,” made his appearance at Norwich. It was stated that he had been an officer in the Army, and had served under Sir John Moore and the Duke of Wellington, and was piping through the country to win a wager, one of the conditions of which was that he must subsist upon unsolicited alms given by the public. The piper gave a performance at the Bell Inn, Orford Hill, in aid of the newly-established Lying-in Charity. He returned to Norwich on December 1st, and gave another entertainment at the Norfolk Hotel for the same charity. He re-appeared in Norwich in 1838, having, in the interval, travelled the British Isles and the United States. It was then announced that his name was Graham Stuart. His death occurred in March, 1839, at Mercers’ Hospital, Dublin, to which institution he bequeathed all his property.
November 17th 1832
The officers of the preventive service stationed at Brancaster seized a large tub-boat, containing 5,565 lbs. of tobacco and about 650 gallons of brandy and Geneva, the whole of which was lodged in the Customs-house at Wells-next-the-Sea.
December 2nd 1832
The body of Sarah Watling, buried in the churchyard of Swanton Abbot, was found to have been stolen from its grave. At the Norfolk Adjourned Quarter Sessions, held at Norwich on March 6th, 1833, George Ives and Nathaniel Canham were indicted for stealing the body. The prisoners were acquitted.
December 10th 1832
The nomination of candidates at the first election in Norwich under the Reform Act took place at the Guildhall. The nominees of the “Purple and Orange” party were Lord Stormont and Sir James Scarlett, and of the “Blue and White” party Mr. Richard Hanbury Gurney, the former member, and Mr. Charles Henry Bellenden Ker. A poll was demanded, and the election was immediately proceeded with. In the afternoon a riot occurred in the Market Place; the “Purple and Orange” booth was pulled down, and a bonfire made of the _débris_. The “Blue and White” band, stationed near the fire, played their favourite tunes, and men carrying the banners of the party danced round the pile. Stones were thrown and bludgeons used, and a man had his arm broken. Many other persons sustained less serious injuries. The 7th Hussars, who had been removed from Norwich to Wymondham before the election commenced, were recalled to suppress the disturbance, and many citizens were sworn in as special constables. An officers’ guard of the Hussars was posted near the Guildhall throughout the night, and another polling-booth was erected. Voting recommenced at eight o’clock on the morning of the 11th, and continued all day; the books were again opened on the 13th, and at noon the poll finally closed, when the result was declared as follows:—Stormont, 2,016; Scarlett, 1,962; Gurney, 1,810; Ker, 1,766. The chairing of the new members took place on the 14th; on the same day their friends and supporters dined at the Norfolk Hotel, and in the evening the election ball was held at Chapel Field House.
December 10th 1832
Lord George Bentinck and Lord William Lennox were returned unopposed for Lynn.
December 10th 1832
Lord James FitzRoy and Mr. Francis Baring were returned without opposition for the borough of Thetford.
December 13th 1832
Mr. Shaw’s granaries on the Boal at King’s Lynn were destroyed by fire. The loss was estimated at upwards of £2,000.
December 15th 1832
Sir Jacob Astley and Sir William ffolkes were nominated at Swaffham as candidates for the representation of the Western Division of Norfolk, and returned unopposed. Mr. T. W. Coke formally took leave of the electors, on his retirement from Parliamentary life. He had represented the county since the year 1785.
December 17th 1832
The nomination of candidates for the Eastern Division of the county took place at the Shirehall, Norwich. Lord Henry Cholmondeley and Mr. Peach were nominated by the “Pink and Purple,” and Mr. W. W. Windham and Major Keppel by the “Blue and White” party. The poll was opened on the 20th, at Norwich, Yarmouth, North Walsham, and Long Stratton, and closed on the 21st. The result, which was not officially declared until the 24th, was as follows:—Windham, 3,304; Keppel, 3,261; Peach, 2,960; Cholmondeley, 2,852. The election dinner was held at the Assembly Room, Norwich, under the presidency of the Hon. Edward Harbord.
December 22nd 1832
Atkins’ Menagerie was exhibited at Norwich. This was the first occasion on which a “lion tamer” appeared with a travelling menagerie in the city. In the centre of the show was introduced a large iron cage, into which the keeper entered and put the animals through their performances.