The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1831 Norfolk Chronicle newspaper Selections

January 1st 1831

The non-commissioned officers and privates of the 1st Royal Dragoons were entertained by public subscription at dinner at the Assembly Rooms, East Dereham, in recognition of their services during the recent disturbances.

January 5th 1831

Died at Hilborough Hall, aged 54, Mr. Ralph Caldwell. “He was among the first promoters of the Norfolk Foxhunting Society.”

January 5th 1831

The calendar of the Norfolk Quarter Sessions contained the names of 205 prisoners, of whom 108 were indicted for taking part in the machine-breaking riots during November and December, 1830. The trials, which took place before Mr. Serjeant Frere, Lord Suffield, and other magistrates, concluded on the 12th. Sixty-seven of the rioters were found guilty of machine-breaking, and 41 were acquitted or otherwise discharged. One was sentenced to 14 years’ transportation; 8 to seven years; 1 to two years’ imprisonment; 1 to fifteen months; 4 to one year; 5 to nine months; 10 to six months; 6 to four months; 14 to three months; 8 to two months; 4 to one month, and 1 to fourteen days. Fifty were charged with rioting and other outrages. Of these, 18 were discharged on their own recognisances; 9 were acquitted, and 23 convicted. One was sentenced to imprisonment for two and a half years; 2 for two years; 3 for eighteen months; 4 for one year; 2 for six months; 3 for four months; 4 for three months; 2 for one month; 1 for three weeks; and 1 for one week. There were reserved for a higher tribunal three capital offences of machine-breaking, and five or six cases of arson.

January 17th 1831

At the Norwich Quarter Sessions, an indictment was preferred against one William Lamb, for receiving a bribe at the election of Mr. Alderman Steward. The Grand Jury made a presentment that the bill of indictment should have included Mr. Charles Turner and Mr. Samuel Woodcock Mealing, as there was conclusive evidence that they had bribed the defendant. The Recorder (Mr. Preston) adjourned the case until January 31st. A further adjournment was made till February 1st, when the Recorder, after a long legal argument with counsel, decided that the case could not proceed. A rule absolute was obtained in the Court of King’s Bench against Mr. Mealing, and the case came on for trial before Lord Lyndhurst at the Norwich Assizes on July 29th, when the jury found the defendant guilty, and recommended him to mercy. In the Court of King’s Bench, on November 8th, an unsuccessful motion was made for arrest of judgment. Finally the defendant appeared before that Court on November 23rd, and was sentenced by Mr. Justice Parke to pay a fine of £100.

January 19th 1831

The honorary freedom of the city was conferred upon the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Sidmouth, on the occasion of a visit to his son-in-law, the Hon. and Very Rev. the Dean of Norwich.

January 19th 1831

The agitation for Parliamentary Reform began at Norwich, this year, with a meeting held at St. Andrew’s Hall, when resolutions were passed in favour of the measure. On March 19th the Right Hon. Robert Grant, member for Norwich, presented in the House of Commons a petition signed by 7,000 citizens in support of the Bill, and Sir William ffolkes presented similar petitions from the inhabitants of the several Hundreds in the county. A great meeting took place at St Andrew’s Hall on September 29th, at which it was decided to petition the House of Lords on behalf of the Bill, on the ground “that the tranquillity and happiness of this kingdom depend on the complete passing of this great national measure.” The Bill having been thrown out by the Peers, a requisition was presented to the Mayor of Norwich for a Common Hall, which was held at St. Andrew’s Hall on October 18th. A procession, headed by bands of music, started from the Castle Ditches at ten o’clock, and, after parading the streets of the city, arrived at the Hall at noon. About 5,000 persons were present, and the Mayor presided. Mr. Thomas Bignold, jun., one of the principal speakers, moved a series of resolutions expressive of the “ardent hope that such constitutional measures as may be completely effectual for the attainment of this most important object will be forthwith adopted by his Majesty, under the advice and with the assistance of his Ministers.” An address founded on the resolutions was ordered to be presented to the King. A county meeting took place at the Shirehall on November 19th, under the presidency of Mr. Anthony Hamond, “for the purpose of expressing confidence in his Majesty’s Ministers, and of adopting such proceedings as may be deemed expedient to forward the great measure of Reform.” On the 26th was issued for signature “the Norfolk Declaration” which expressed “alarm at the extensive innovations proposed by the late Reform Bill,” and gratitude to the House of Lords for “generously exercising the prerogative power vested in them for the good of the people, and for refusing to concur in so dangerous an experiment.” The year’s agitation closed with the issue, on December 3rd, of another Declaration, “founded on a constitutional basis and manifesting a conciliatory spirit.” This movement was known as “the Conservative Reform.” (The word “Conservative,” in the political sense, was, on this occasion, used locally for the first time.)

January 21st 1831

At the county magistrates’ meeting, Mr. John Stracey reintroduced the subject of the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford to Norwich, and announced that Lord Chancellor Brougham had addressed to the Lieutenant of the County a letter, in which he promised to advise the Secretary of State to cause the Assizes to be held in future at Norwich. On February 1st the Corporation of Norwich petitioned the Lord Chancellor in favour of the removal. On March 9th the Home Office intimated that the Judges of Assize for the Norfolk Circuit proposed to hold an adjourned Assizes for the trial of eight prisoners at Norwich on March 24th. The Assizes were held accordingly on that date by adjournment from Thetford.

January 26th 1831

Died at his house in Portland Place, London, aged 86, Mr. Richard Paul Jodrell, F.R.S., F.A.S., D.C.L., formerly member of Parliament for the borough of Seaford. “It may be regarded as an almost unprecedented instance, that Mr. Jodrell had lived to be in possession of his paternal estates 80 years, his father having died at an early age in 1751.” He was distinguished as a scholar, and as author of “The Illustrations of Euripides” and other literary works. Mr. Jodrell was the last surviving member of Dr. Johnson’s Club.

February 12th 1831

Died at St. George Colegate, Norwich, James Horth, aged 42. “He was a journeyman dyer, but devoted his leisure hours to the highest branches of mathematical science; his knowledge of astronomy was profound; he was deeply read in the modern analysis of the French, and possessed the esteem of some of the most celebrated mathematicians of this country.”

February 13th 1831

Died at Bath, Sir Edward Berry, Bart., K.C.B., Rear-Admiral of the Red. He was born in 1768, and was fourth son of a London merchant. On December 12th, 1797, he married Louisa, eldest daughter of the Rev. Samuel Forster, D.D., then head-master of the Norwich Free Grammar School. At the restoration of peace, in 1814, Sir Edward returned to Norfolk, and took up his residence at Catton, where he remained some years. Thence he proceeded to Bath, for the benefit of his health. He was buried at Walcot Church, Bath, on February 22nd.

February 14th 1831

Died, aged 74, Mr. William Betts, Lieutenant and Quartermaster in the West Norfolk Militia. He entered the service as a private on April 29th, 1778; was appointed Corporal, July 18th, 1780; Sergeant, June 10th, 1790; Quarter-master, April 23rd, 1803, and held the appointment till June 24th, 1829, after a total service of 51 years 57 days.

February 19th 1831

[Advt.] “The annual grand main of cocks, between the gentlemen of Norfolk and the gentlemen of Suffolk, will be fought at the Maid’s Head Inn, St. Simon’s, Norwich, on Tuesday, March 8th, and two following days (three double-days’ play), for £10 a battle and £100 the main. To commence fighting each day in the morning at 12 o’clock, in the evening at seven. Feeders: Stafford for Norfolk; Nash for Suffolk.”

February 23rd 1831

Died at his house, at Thorpe, Mr. Michael Stark, aged 83. “Mr. Stark was a native of Scotland, and descended from an ancient and honourable family in the county of Fife. He was apprenticed to a dyer, and, having been engaged in London, was induced to come to Norwich. To Mr. Stark Norwich was indebted for the introduction of many valuable discoveries and improvements which tended considerably to the success of its manufactures.”

February 27th 1831

Died at the Royal Military College, Bagshot, Captain Charles Stone, paymaster at that institution, aged 84. He was a native of Norwich, and served in the 16th Light Dragoons, which he accompanied to America in 1775, and was personally concerned in the taking of General Lee. On his passage home from America, in 1781, he was captured in the British Channel by a French privateer, and carried to France, where he was detained a prisoner 12 months. In 1784 he was appointed Adjutant of the 16th, and in due time attained the rank of Captain. He was appointed paymaster of the College in 1802, and resigned in 1827.

March 2nd 1831

The freedom of the city was presented to the Hon. and Very Rev. G. Pellew, D.D., Dean of Norwich.

March 6th 1831

Died at Dulwich College, aged 66, the Rev. Ozias Thurston Linley, A.B., a junior fellow of that institution, and formerly a Minor Canon of Norwich Cathedral. He was the eldest son of Mr. Thomas Linley, patentee of Drury Lane Theatre, and brother of Mrs. Sheridan, the first wife of Richard Brinsley Sheridan.

March 21st 1831

The elections for the Common Council commenced at Norwich. “They were conducted upon correct principles, the voters were left free from the temptation of corruption, and the result was the renewed ascendancy of the ‘Orange and Purple’ party, who won the representation of three wards out of four.”

March 24th 1831

The grave was discovered, in the south aisle of St. Stephen’s Church, of Robert Browne, a former Mayor of Norwich. Nothing remained but some pieces of bones. Upon a stone was the inscription: “Of your charitie praye for the soule of Robert Browne, Esquire, some time Mayor of this city, who died 1534.”

March 24th 1831

The Norfolk Lent Assizes (adjourned from Thetford) were held at Norwich for the first time. Mr. Justice Alderson, an honorary freeman of the city, was one of the judges.

March 25th 1831

At the Norfolk Lent Assizes, at Norwich, before Mr. Justice Alderson, Richard Nockolds was indicted for setting fire to stacks, the property of William Blake, at Swanton Abbott, and Robert Hunt, Josiah Davidson, and David Davidson were charged as accessaries. The jury found the prisoners not guilty. On the 26th they were indicted for setting fire to a stack the property of Richard Ducker, of the same place. Nockolds was found guilty, and sentenced to death; Josiah Davidson was convicted of being an accessary before the fact, recommended to mercy, and afterwards respited; Hunt and David Davidson were acquitted. Nockolds was executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich, on April 9th. His body was subsequently exhibited at his cottage opposite the Barrack gates, Pockthorpe, “and a considerable sum of money was in this way raised for the widow.”

March 26th 1831

A Bill “for the better management of the Poor in the several parishes and hamlets of the city of Norwich,” had, it was announced on this date, been presented in the House of Commons. The principal object of the measure was to abolish the right of the Corporation to elect Guardians. It was read a first time in April, passed through its remaining stages during the first Session of the new Parliament, and the first meeting of the Court of Guardians elected under the new Act was held at the Guildhall on October 4th.

April 5th 1831

Lynn Market Cross was sold by auction for £160. It had long been dilapidated. “The Market Place in its present state, covered with vegetation sufficient to graze sheep, presents a most melancholy appearance.”

April 8th 1831

Mr. Henry Dover was elected a chairman of Norfolk Quarter Sessions, in the room of Sir E. H. Alderson, appointed one of his Majesty’s Judges.

April 11th 1831

Miss Smithson appeared at Norwich Theatre in the character of Juliet; and on three subsequent evenings as Mrs. Simpson (“Simpson and Co.”), Belvidera, Mrs. Oakley (“The Jealous Wife”), and Theresa (“The Orphan of Geneva”).

April 13th 1831

The new road from Acle to Yarmouth, saving a distance of three miles five furlongs, was opened for public inspection, and was shortly afterwards used for traffic.

April 14th 1831

A ballot for filling up the peace establishment of the East Norfolk Militia was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, before Mr. Isaac Preston, D.L. “Substitutes were easily obtained from £2 to £3 per man.”

April 29th 1831

The nomination of Parliamentary candidates for Norwich took place. Mr. R. H. Gurney and the Right Hon. Robert Grant were proposed by the “Blue and White” party, and Sir Charles Wetherell and Mr. Michael Thomas Sadler by the “Purple and Orange” party. A poll was demanded, and opened on April 30th. The polling-booths closed on May 3rd, when the result was declared as follows:—Gurney, 2,158; Grant, 2,163; Wetherell, 977; Sadler, 964.

April 29th 1831

Yarmouth election commenced on this date, and the poll closed on the 30th. Result:—Col. Anson, 904; Mr. Rumbold, 903; Mr. Colville, 549; Mr. Bliss, 543.

April 30th 1831

Lord H. Cholmondeley and the Hon. F. G. Howard were re-elected members of Parliament for Castle Rising.

May 1st 1831

This day (Sunday) Mr. Alderman Leman and Mr. Alderman Yallop were elected to be returned to the Court of Aldermen for appointment to the office of Mayor of Norwich. Mr. Yallop was chosen Mayor on the 3rd.

May 2nd 1831

Lord George Bentinck and Lord William Lennox were elected without opposition members of Parliament for King’s Lynn.

May 3rd 1831

The use of the ballot box at meetings of the Norwich Corporation was discontinued, on the motion of Mr. W. J. Utten Browne, who characterised it as “a sneaking mode of proceeding.”

May 4th 1831

Died in Harley Street, London, aged 69, the Viscountess Nelson and Duchess of Bronte, “widow of the immortal hero of Trafalgar.” The funeral took place at Littleham, near Exmouth.

May 6th 1831

Mr. T. W. Coke and Sir W. B. ffolkes were returned unopposed members of Parliament for the county of Norfolk. Mr. Coke announced that he would not again seek re-election.

May 28th 1831

“Last week a lobster was taken out alive from one of the branches of the river Waveney, at Frenze, in this county. The river is intersected by several locks, and the place where it was taken is nearly 40 miles from the sea.”

June 1st 1831

Died at Thorpe, aged 47, Mr. Marsham Elwin, of Thurning, formerly one of the chairmen of Norfolk Quarter Sessions.

June 6th 1831

A vessel named the Carrow, of 80 tons burden, was launched from the timber-yard of Mr. Batley, at Carrow.

June 6th 1831

A two days’ cricket match commenced on Lord’s ground, between Norwich and Marylebone. Norwich, 115-142. Marylebone, 145-67. Betting at the start was 6 to 4 on Marylebone, and at the end of the first day’s play the odds were 7 and 8 to 1 in favour of Norwich.

June 11th 1831

“The census which has just been taken shows that the inhabitants of Norwich number 60,998, an increase in ten years of 10,700. The population of the county, exclusive of Norwich, but including other boroughs, is 331,014, an increase of 36,934.”

June 20th 1831

Mr. Alderman Patteson resigned his seat after fifty years’ membership of the Norwich Corporation. Mr. Samuel Bignold was elected to fill the vacancy thus created in the Great Mancroft Ward.

June 20th 1831

A meeting, presided over by Mr. J. J. Gurney, was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, for the purpose of promoting a subscription for the relief of sufferers from the Irish famine.

June 21st 1831

Guild Day at Norwich. Mr. J. H. Yallop was, for the second time, sworn in as Mayor, and afterwards entertained 800 guests at the Guild feast.

June 22nd 1831

Mr. Charles Green made a balloon ascent from Richmond Hill Gardens, Norwich, in company with Mr. Richard Crawshay, and in 1 hour 10 minutes descended upon a marsh at Oby near Acle. He made a second ascent from the same gardens on July 2nd, accompanied by Mr. Alderman Marshall, and descended at Blofield. Mr. Crawshay accompanied the aeronaut in the ascent at the opening of London Bridge by the King on August 1st. Owing to a strong wind, the ascent was made with great difficulty; the aeronauts barely escaped with their lives, and on descending at Charlwood were severely bruised and shaken.

July 7th 1831

The first stone of a new church at Yarmouth, dedicated to St. Peter, and erected on a site granted by the Corporation, was laid by the Mayor (Mr. Edmund Preston). Mr. Scoles was the architect. The church was consecrated on August 16th, 1833, by the Bishop of Winchester, on behalf of the Bishop of Norwich.

July 23rd 1831

The interment took place at Rainham church of the remains of General Loftus. He entered the Army in 1770, and in 1775 embarked with the 17th Light Dragoons for America. He was in the action of Bunker’s Hill, at the battle of Bedford, at the taking of New York, at the battles of Pelham Manor and the White Plains, and led the Hessian Grenadiers across the river Brunx, where he was wounded. He was wounded again in the attack on the lines at King’s Bridge. In 1794 he raised the 24th Light Dragoons, largely composed of Norfolk men; in 1796 was made Major-General and appointed to the English staff, and in 1797 was transferred to the Irish staff, and commanded a brigade at the battle of Vinegar Hill. He commanded the Eastern District in 1809, and at the time of his death was Lieutenant of the Tower and Colonel of the 2nd Dragoon Guards. General Loftus for several Sessions represented in Parliament the borough of Great Yarmouth.

July 25th 1831

At the Norfolk Assizes held at Norwich, before Lord Lyndhurst, an indictment was preferred against several farmers and labourers living at Edingthorpe, for having conspired to compel the rector, the Rev. Richard Adams, to take less in tithe than he was entitled to by law. The great and small tithes together averaged 6s. per acre; under intimidation Mr. Adams signed a document by which he agreed to accept 4s. per acre during his life. At the suggestion of his lordship, a settlement was arrived at. He intimated, however, that a clergyman had a right to his tithes, and the parishioners had no authority to dictate to him.

July 26th 1831

At the same Assizes, an action was brought against the Rev. Dean Wood, vicar of Middleton, by Mr. Howes, a farmer in the same parish, for a libel contained in a pamphlet published by the defendant, entitled, “A Defence of the Clergy, founded upon facts.” The jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff, damages £100.

July 28th 1831

Paganini performed at a concert given under the management of Mr. Pettet, at the Corn Exchange, Norwich. He appeared again on the 29th, and on the 30th was engaged at the Theatre. He was described as “the fascinating, but by no means fair-dealing, foreigner.”

August 1st 1831

Mr. Wallack, of Drury Lane Theatre, commenced a short engagement at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, in the character of Rolla (“Pizarro”). His other impersonations included Don Felix (“The Wonder”), Sir Edward Mortimer, Alessandro Massaroni (“The Brigand”), and Dashall (“My Aunt”).

August 8th 1831

A cricket match, lasting two days, between Marylebone and Norwich, commenced on the Norwich ground. Marylebone, 96-109. Norwich, 69-94. Lillywhite and Sir St. Vincent Cotton played for the former, and Fuller Pilch, W. Pilch, and N. Pilch for the latter club.

August 10th 1831

The 1st Royal Dragoons were inspected on Mousehold Heath, Norwich, by General Sir Charles Dalbiac. “This fine regiment, several of whose officers are sons of Norfolk families, has been lately augmented by the enlistment of a large number of Norfolk men.”

August 18th 1831

A two-days’ cricket match commenced on the Dereham ground, between Marylebone and Norfolk. Marylebone, 44-67. Norfolk, 11-38. “Both at Norwich and at Dereham the Norfolk men were evidently beaten by the system of bowling.”

August 30th 1831

At the election of freemen’s Sheriff, at Norwich, the candidates were Mr. John Cozens (1,086 votes) and Mr. W. J. Utten Browne (506 votes).

August 31st 1831

A camping match took place on Norwich Cricket Ground, between Norwich and Blofield. The latter gave up. “Neither the camping nor the subsequent wrestling were either of them well contested.”

September 5th 1831

Died at Heigham, Norwich, aged 75, Mr. J. Watson, one of the original contractors of the Norwich mail coaches established in 1785.

September 8th 1831

The Coronation of William IV. and Queen Adelaide was celebrated in Norwich. The Corporation attended service at the Cathedral, and the 1st Royal Dragoons fired a _feu de joie_ in the Market Place. “This day was fixed upon to pay the freemen who voted for Messrs. Gurney and Grant their sovereigns, which they received at different public-houses, pursuant to notice circulated by handbills.” A dinner, attended principally by the “Blue and White” party, took place at St. Andrew’s Hall; and the “Purple and Orange” freemen were entertained at the York Gardens, Pockthorpe. Celebrations were held in different parts of the county.

September 10th 1831

Mr. Richard Forby, a well-known farmer at Tittleshall, was gored to death by a bull.

September 19th 1831

Died, James Twiddy, parish clerk of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. “He had a taste for poetry, and occasionally wrote in verse. His prose compositions displayed considerable talent, and his leisure hours were chiefly employed in reading and improving his mind.”

September 19th 1831

Three troops of Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry, raised in the western part of the county, consisting of the 1st or Melton troop, Capt. Sir Jacob Astley; the 2nd, or West Raynham troop, Capt. Lord Townshend, and the 3rd or Elmham troop, Major the Hon. George John Milles, assembled at Lenwade Bridge and marched to Norwich, on their way to Yarmouth for six days’ training. The band of the 1st Royals played them into the city, where they were billeted for the night. The uniform of the regiment consisted of a scarlet jacket, dark trousers, and black helmet.

September 27th 1831

Died at Harold’s Cross, near Dublin, aged 85, the Rev. Philip Taylor, upwards of 60 years minister of the Unitarian congregation in Eustace Street in that city. Mr. Taylor was a native of Norwich, and grandson of Dr. John Taylor, formerly minister at the Octagon chapel.

October 1st 1831

At this date there were four coaches running daily on the road between Lynn and Norwich.

October 12th 1831

The Cross Keys Bridge and embankment, opened on this date, afforded direct communication between Norfolk and Lincolnshire and the North of England. By these works nearly 18,000 acres of land were recovered from the sea. The opening ceremony commenced with a procession of carriages over the bridge and embankment, and concluded with a dinner in a marquee erected near the works. Three hundred guests were present, and Sir William ffolkes, M.P., presided.

November 12th 1831

In accordance with regulations passed by the Court of Mayoralty, the Aldermen of the small wards in Norwich, accompanied by the parochial officials, perambulated their respective wards, for the purpose of reporting upon their sanitary condition. In view of the cholera outbreak in other parts of the country, the medical men of Norwich divided the city into four districts, and apportioned a certain number of their body to each.

November 20th 1831

Services were resumed in Norwich Cathedral, after extensive repairs to the fabric.

December 3rd 1831

At a general meeting of the county magistrates, a committee was appointed to receive communications from the justices in the different divisions and Hundreds, and to give their aid and assistance for the detection and apprehension of incendiaries. Committees were formed in every Hundred in the county.

December 24th 1831

“The trade for turkeys was dull this Christmas, owing, no doubt, to the depressed state of trade, but principally to the operation of the late Act, which, by throwing a large quantity of game into the market, has proved a losing game to our excellent farmers’ wives, and prevented them obtaining anything like remunerative prices.”

December 25th 1831

The Mayor of Norwich (Mr. J. H. Yallop), who had sent from the city a swan specially fattened for the Royal table, received from his Majesty, through the Duke of Sussex, a letter thanking him for his “dutiful attention.”