The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1830 Norfolk Chronicle newspaper Selections

January 1st 1830

Died at Yarmouth, the Rev. H. R. Bowles, one of the ministers of the Unitarian chapel in that town. He was master of the Yarmouth Academy, and formerly an actor on the Norwich stage.

January 5th 1830

Died at his house in St, Stephen’s, aged 86, Mr. James Keymer, city surgeon, and for upwards of fifty years surgeon and apothecary to the Norwich Bethel. He was known as “the father” of the Norfolk and Norwich Benevolent Medical Society (established in 1786), and “in his capacity of accoucheur introduced no less than 8,000 children into the world, and repeatedly attended three and four generations in succession.”

January 5th 1830

At the Norwich Consistory Court, the suit, Meachen _v._ Carter, was tried. The parties lived at East Dereham, and the dispute arose about the use of a pew in the church. The defendant was proceeded against for “quarrelling, chiding, and brawling in church,” and the court, in giving judgment, declared him excommunicate, directed him to be imprisoned for three days, and condemned him in costs.

January 10th 1830

During a severe storm from the N.N.E., the streets of Cley-next-the-Sea were inundated in places to the depth of six or eight feet, and several families were rescued from the upper windows of the houses. Many vessels were wrecked along the coast.

January 11th 1830

The Relief Committee of the Norwich Court of Guardians determined to erect two looms in the Workhouse for the employment of persons who might apply for relief on the ground of not being able to obtain work. From these looms, at a subsequent date, work was deliberately cut and destroyed. On the 12th the riotous conduct of the weavers necessitated the calling out of the 7th Dragoon Guards; and on the 13th Mr. John Wright, one of the principal master manufacturers, had vitriol thrown into his face in St. Faith’s Lane. Mr. Wright, who was dreadfully injured, discharged a pistol at his assailant, who escaped. The Corporation offered a reward for the apprehension and conviction of the miscreant. Richard Nockolds, who was executed for arson on April 9th, 1831, confessed to the perpetration of the outrage. The distress continued throughout the winter, and on February 6th a meeting was held at the Guildhall, at which a relief fund was started, and nearly £3,000 raised. At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, on March 10th, Lord Suffield, in his charge to the Grand Jury, suggested means for the alleviation of public distress. Mr. Cobbett came down to Norwich and lectured at Ranelagh Gardens on March 12th and 13th, on “The State of the Country.” Half-a-crown admission was charged, and “he pocketed about £50, which, all things considered, was about as much as he could well expect.” A common hall was held on March 17th, “to consider the unprecedently distressed situation of the country,” and Parliament was petitioned on the subject. Mr. W. J. Utten Browne, in the course of the proceedings, described Mr. Cobbett as “one whose name it was pollution to pronounce, and who had crawled up from the very dregs of the people to a slimy popularity.” In the report of this meeting the term “Liberal,” as used in a political sense, appeared for the first time. On May 15th the welcome announcement was made that some of the principal houses in Norwich had brought gros de Naples and other silks to such a state of perfection that they had a decided preference in the market, and that so numerous were the orders that scarcely a loom in this important branch of the weaving trade was unemployed.

January 16th 1830

A great meeting of freeholders of the county was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, presided over by the High Sheriff (Mr. Andrew Fountaine), at which a petition was adopted for presentation to Parliament, praying for the repeal of the malt duties. (Meetings for the same end were held in all parts of the county.)

January 19th 1830

A prize-fight took place at Thurton, between T. Riches, 11 st., and John Clarke, 15 st., for a purse of £10. The former was seconded by Ned Painter and Loveday, and the latter by Gale and Mike Fenn. Seventy-two rounds were fought in 1 hour 26 minutes. Riches won. “Hundreds of persons from Norwich padded it through the snow to witness this exhibition of science.”

January 19th 1830

Mr. Marsham Elwin resigned the chairmanship of the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, and was thanked by the magistrates for the important services he had long rendered to the county. At the April Sessions Mr. John Weyland was elected in his place.

January 22nd 1830

A great fall of snow occurred in the Lynn district. The London coach ran into a drift at Tottenhill. The snow was almost up to the lamp-irons, and the vehicle was hauled out by teams of agricultural horses.

January 25th 1830

Miss S. Booth appeared at Norwich Theatre as Widow Cheerley (“The Soldier’s Daughter”). Her other impersonations included Little Pickle (“The Spoilt Child”), Sally Scraggs (“The Englishman in India”); Mary (“The Innkeeper’s Daughter”), Aurelia Fairlove (“The Young Widow”); Lady Elizabeth (“The Day after the Wedding”), Priscilla Tomboy (“The Romp”), and Carline (“The Noyades, or the Maid of Venice”).

February 8th 1830

The roads in various parts of the county were rendered impassable by deep snow. The Fakenham coach was three days on its journey from London.

February 16th 1830

Died, Dr. Robert Gooch, of Berners Street, London, librarian to the King. Dr. Gooch, who was in his 45th year, was born at Yarmouth, and married the eldest daughter of Mr. N. Bolingbroke, of Norwich.

February 26th 1830

At three o’clock in the morning, John Brooks and William Brooks, awaiting trial in Norwich Castle for a highway robbery at Middleton, attempted to escape. They were confined in Bigod’s Tower, from the summit of which William Brooks endeavoured to lower himself by means of his blanket and rug. The improvised rope gave way, and Brooks fell a distance of 70 feet. His thigh, pelvis, left arm, and the whole of the ribs on his left side were broken, and a large tumour subsequently formed at the back of his head. Notwithstanding his terrible injuries, Brooks recovered, and at the Summer Assizes at Norwich was borne into court on the back of a warder to take his trial. It was stated that he was permanently crippled and quite disabled, but Mr. Justice Parke sentenced him to transportation for life.

February 27th 1830

“Private Flood, 7th Dragoon Guard’s, who was tried by court-martial for sleeping at his post at Norwich, was sentenced to receive 300 lashes, but his Majesty was graciously pleased, in consideration of the long imprisonment he had undergone, to remit the infliction of the punishment.”

March 20th 1830

[Advt.] “Dr. Johnson’s Hotel and Tavern, Bolt Court, Fleet Street. Anthony Beck, late of West Lexham, has taken the above house, and begs leave to inform his Norfolk friends and the public in general that he has used every exertion to render it worthy their support and patronage, and to assure them that he has paid due attention to that grand desideratum of Norfolk gentlemen, wines and spirits of the best quality, and good and well-aired beds. N.B.—Within 10 minutes’ walk of Smithfield Market and the Theatres.”

March 20th 1830

“We are informed that it is in contemplation to establish a pack of foxhounds in the western part of Norfolk, and that the kennel is to be at Litcham. In consequence thereof, the largest of the Kempstone hounds will be disposed of, but the Kempstone pack will not be given up. They will return to their original standard of small beagles, which are better adapted for elderly sportsmen, and will not hunt the same day as the foxhounds do.”

March 22nd 1830

A public meeting was held at Yarmouth, to protest against the determination of his Majesty’s Commissioners for Building Churches to erect a church there in opposition to the desire of the inhabitants. The imposition already in force of 2s. in the pound on houses and grounds, and a duty of 2s. a chaldron on coals consumed in the town, for the support of the church and chapel, was considered oppressive.

March 29th 1830

The Common Council elections, which commenced at Norwich on this date, gave the ‘Orange and Purple’ party the ascendancy. “The trade in votes was unblushingly pursued on both sides, and the prices that were given towards the close of each day’s polling were of a heavy amount.”

March 30th 1830

A steeplechase took place for a silver cup valued at 30 gs., from Fritton Church to Gorleston Church, a distance of four miles. Horses were run by Mr. Hector Munro, Mr. J. Fowler, Mr. S. Palmer, and Mr. Moore. The race was won by Mr. Munro’s entry. In the evening “the gentlemen of Mr. Munro’s hunt dined at the Bear Inn, and the company were much gratified with an excellent local and appropriate song, the production of Mr. Burton, of the Norwich Theatre Royal, and repeated by that gentleman in the course of the evening with increased effect.”

April 3rd 1830

At a meeting held at the King’s Arms Inn, East Dereham, it was decided to establish a pack of foxhounds in that part of the county, and to solicit landowners to preserve foxes.

April 3rd 1830

“Last month a number of persons left North and South Lopham in waggons, on their way to embark at Liverpool for the United States of America. Between 100 and 200 persons are emigrating from these parishes, a considerable sum of money having been borrowed on security of the rates to defray the expenses of their passage (about £6 10s. per head), and to furnish each family with the clear sum of £5 on their landing at New York.”—[Advt.] “Emigrants to North America. The Preston, A.I., Thomas Woodthorp master, burden 300 tons, being well fitted with berths between decks, and having excellent accommodation for cabin and steerage passengers, will sail from Yarmouth, on the 15th inst., for Quebec. For passage or freight apply at the Counting-house of Isaac Preston, Esq.”

April 5th 1830

At the Sheriffs’ Guildhall Court, Norwich, the only jury available were so long engaged in considering a verdict that nine solicitors in court volunteered to form a jury to try the next cause. Those sworn were Messrs. J. B. Daveney, H. Miller, G. Dye, R. Fickling, C. S. Gilman, Colman, Lawter, and Marston. Three laymen made up the requisite number. “The swearing of the jury of legal gentlemen caused much laughter, and what appeared most singular, after hearing evidence on both sides, they could not agree to a verdict, but recommended the withdrawal of a juror, which was done accordingly. Such a jury was never heard of before in Norwich.”

April 10th 1830

John Simmons, aged 31, and William Lovet, 20, convicted at Thetford Assizes of burglaries at Thorpe, were executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich. Calcraft was the executioner. “After the execution the bodies were laid out in the mill-yard, and the different classes of prisoners were marched past.”

April 10th 1830

“A few weeks since a pike was caught in the North River, near St. Benet’s Abbey, which weighed 35 lbs., the extreme length of which was 49 inches. It measured 25 inches in girth. This astonishing fish, the largest ever caught in this county, was presented to his Majesty by Mr. H. N. Burroughes, of Burlingham.”

April 12th 1830

Mr. Power, of Covent Garden Theatre, commenced a short engagement at Norwich Theatre, in the part of Dennis Brulgruddery. His other impersonations were Teddy the Tiler, Larry (“More Blunders than One”), Dr. O’Toole, Alessandro Massaroni (“The Brigand”), and Teague (“Honest Thieves”).

April 13th 1830

At a meeting of the Norwich Paving Act Commissioners, a report was received from the Lighting and Watching Committee on the proposals of the agents of the Norwich Gas-Light Company for extending their works through the principal streets of the city. There were then four miles of main and service pipes supplied with oil gas; it was proposed to extend the pipes to twelve miles, and to supply “purified coal gas.” It was explained that the adoption of the proposal would result in the abolition of 900 old oil lamps and the substitution of gas lamps, at an increased annual charge of £500. At an adjourned meeting on April 30th, the scheme was adopted, and tenders were invited for carrying it into effect. In May the Norwich Gas Company purchased five acres of land near Bishop Bridge, on which to erect works for supplying the whole city with coal gas.

April 19th 1830

Three troops of the 1st Royal Dragoons, under the command of Major Martin, arrived in Norwich, to replace the 7th Dragoon Guards. The headquarters of the regiment marched in on May 15th, from Manchester.

April 21st 1830

Mrs. W. West, of Drury Lane, appeared at Norwich Theatre, as Portia. Her other parts included Edmond (“The Blind Boy”), Juliana (“The Honeymoon”), Mrs. Beverley, Ellen Enfield (“Falls of Clyde”), and Therese.

April 23rd 1830

The Norfolk Quarter Sessions petitioned the Lord Chancellor to order the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford to Norwich. On May 3rd the Corporation of Norwich adopted a similar petition.

April 23rd 1830

The birthday of King George IV. was celebrated for the last time.

May 1st 1830

Mr. John Angell was elected Mayor of Norwich.

May 3rd 1830

The Corporation of Norwich petitioned the House of Commons to introduce legislation for remitting the punishment of death “in all cases except murder, arson, burglary, highway robbery, and offences attended with violence.”

May 13th 1830

The foundation-stone of the new Market House at Lynn was laid by the Mayor (Mr. William Bagge).

May 15th 1830

William King was publicly whipped in Norwich Market Place for stealing a pewter pot.

May 15th 1830

Died at his house, in Chapel Field, Norwich, aged 48, Mr. Joseph Gibson, jun., who served the office of Sheriff in 1821.

May 17th 1830

A portion of the roof over the pit of the old Theatre Royal, Norwich, fell in with a tremendous crash. The workmen who had been employed there during the day had just left the building.

May 22nd 1830

The Rev. William Yonge, Vicar of Swaffham and Chancellor of the Diocese of Norwich, was presented by his parishioners with a piece of plate, of the value of £100, in recognition of his services as their resident minister during the period of 50 years.

June 2nd 1830

Mr. Burton, comedian at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, on the occasion of his benefit, “delivered Liston’s celebrated address, riding on the back of a real donkey.”

June 2nd 1830

Died, Mr. Jeremiah Lorkin, aged 77, “well known some years since to the then antiquaries of Norwich, an excellent classical scholar, and conversant with the science of numismatics.”

June 12th 1830

A writ of mandamus was issued by the Court of King’s Bench, directing the Mayor and Corporation of Norwich, in compliance with the Act of Parliament, to elect twenty persons to be Guardians of the Poor. The Mayor (Mr. T. O. Springfield) had absented himself from the quarterly assembly of the Corporation on May 3rd. The transaction of public business was, in consequence, prevented, and at a special assembly a strong vote of censure was passed upon his worship for his conduct.

June 12th 1830

A grey eagle was shot in Holkham Park. It weighed 9¾ lbs., measured 2½ inches round the smallest part of the leg, 3 ft from the point of the beak to the tip of the tail, and 7 ft. 2 in. from the tip of one wing to the tip of the other.

June 22nd 1830

Guild Day was observed in Norwich. It was stated that at the Cathedral the civic procession “passed along the rush-strewed pavement into the choir.” In consequence of the serious illness of the King, it was doubtful whether the Guild feast would be held. Mr. Angell, the Mayor-elect, issued 600 invitations, and until the guests actually assembled there was every probability of the abandonment of the feast.

June 27th 1830

Intelligence was received in Norwich of the death of George IV. The news came six hours in advance of the mails, by an express despatched from the “Sun” newspaper office in London to the proprietors of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE. The great bell of St. Peter Mancroft Church was tolled. On the 29th the High Sheriff (the Hon. George Milles) proceeded on horseback from the Norfolk Hotel, accompanied by a marshal and javelin-men, and other officials, to the Shirehall, where the accession of King William IV. to the Crown of these realms was proclaimed, and three cheers given. The King was proclaimed by the city authorities on the 30th, from the leads of the Guildhall. The procession round the city was headed by the band and kettledrums of the 1st Royal Dragoons, and five troops of the regiment, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Somerset. “The Colonel politely declined the Mayor’s invitation to himself and his officers to take refreshments at the Guildhall after the ceremony, and the offer on the part of the Corporation to present the non-commissioned officers and men of the Royals with 10 guineas with which to drink his Majesty’s health was also declined, on the ground that the troops, in attending the civil authorities, had only performed a duty.” There were similar observances at Yarmouth and Lynn.

July 5th 1830

Mr. William Smith, M.P. for Norwich, in an address on this date, intimated to the electors that, in consequence of advancing years, he would not offer himself for re-election. He had represented the city twenty-eight years.

July 5th 1830

A grand main of cocks (three double-days’ play) commenced at the Maid’s Head Inn, Norwich, between the gentlemen of Norfolk (Stafford, feeder) and the gentlemen of Suffolk (Nash, feeder), for £10 a battle and £100 the odd. Norfolk won by two battles a head on the main.

July 6th 1830

A cricket match was played at Lord’s, between the Marylebone and the Norfolk clubs. The latter won by 24 runs. Marylebone, 43-78; Norfolk, 87-58. The return match was played on the Dereham ground, on August 19th and 20th, when Norfolk won by eight wickets. Marylebone, 62-44; Norfolk, 85-22.

July 15th 1830

The funeral of the late King took place on this date. The day was observed in Norwich “with the complete features of the Sabbath.” The Corporation attended service at the Cathedral, services were held in other places of worship, and the great bell of St. Peter Mancroft tolled from eight o’clock till midnight.

July 24th 1830

At the General Election which took place consequent upon the death of the King, Mr. Richard Hanbury Gurney, acceding to the urgent appeals of the “Blue and White” party in Norwich, consented to contest the city, in conjunction with Mr. Robert Grant. On this date he and his colleague made their public entry. Col. Peel, who sought re-election, and Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Ogle, Bart., the other “Orange and Purple” candidate, arrived on the 26th. The nomination took place on the 29th, and the polling commenced immediately afterwards. Throughout the election great excitement prevailed, and there was much rioting. The poll was declared on the 30th, as follows: Gurney, 2,363; Grant, 2,279; Peel, 1,912; Ogle, 1,762.

July 30th 1830

The election at Yarmouth commenced, and, after a sharp contest, the poll was declared, on the 31st, as follows: The Hon. George Anson, 944; Rumbold, 944; Preston, 751; Campbell, 754.

July 31st 1830

Lynn election took place, and resulted in the return of Lord George Bentinck and Col. Walpole, with 78 and 73 votes respectively. The unsuccessful candidate, Sir W. B. ffolkes, polled 8 votes.

August 3rd 1830

Mr. T. W. Coke and Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, the outgoing members, offered themselves for re-election by the county. Mr. Coke issued an address on this date, asking the electors to support Sir William ffolkes, who stood as a third candidate. Mr. Wodehouse withdrew his candidature rather than involve himself and his supporters in a protracted contest, and the two first-named gentlemen were returned unopposed on the 6th.

August 7th 1830

An inquest upon the body of a man accidentally killed was held _in the porch_ of Earlham church by Mr. William Bell, Coroner.

August 9th 1830

Mr. Samuel Bignold was elected one of the Sheriffs of Norwich.

August 9th 1830

At an inquest held at Norwich on the body of John Morse, aged 38, who, during the city election was violently struck by a stone, and received such injuries that he died on August 6th, a verdict of wilful murder against some person or persons unknown, was returned, and the Court of Mayoralty offered a reward of £50 for a conviction.

August 9th 1830

Mr. Kean appeared at Norwich Theatre in the character of Richard III., previous to leaving England for America, and to his final retirement from the stage. His other impersonations included Shylock, Othello, Sir Edward Mortimer, Sir Giles Overreach, and King Lear.

August 20th 1830

Died at sea, on board the Lyra Government packet, in his 63rd year, Mr. Crisp Brown, Alderman of Norwich, who served as Sheriff in 1814, and Mayor in 1817. He had taken a voyage across the Atlantic for the benefit of his health, “but unhappily sank under the weight of affliction which oppressed his mind.”

August 21st 1830

The King’s birthday was celebrated in Norwich.

August 25th 1830

Died at his house on Tombland, Norwich, Mr. Henry Carter, aged 40, one of the surgeons of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.

August 31st 1830

The election of freemen’s Sheriff at Norwich resulted in the return of Mr. Isaac Wiseman, with 1,124 votes, against 794 polled by Mr. Charles Middleton.

September 13th 1830

The foundation-stone of a new episcopal chapel at Yarmouth, erected by voluntary subscriptions, from designs by Mr. Scoles, was laid by Mr. Barth, acting for the Bishop of Norwich.

September 21st 1830

The Norwich Musical Festival opened with a grand concert, given at St. Andrew’s Hall. On the morning of the 22nd, sacred selections were given, and in the evening Mr. Mori conducted a concert. The “Messiah” was performed on the morning of the 23rd, and a concert took place in the evening. On Friday, 24th, selections of sacred music were given in the morning, and a fancy dress ball was held in the evening. The principal performers at the Festival were Madame Malibran, Madame Stockhausen, Master Phillips, Mrs. William Knyvett, Mr. Braham, Mr. Vaughn, Mr. Terrail, Mr. E. Taylor, and Signor De Begnes. Sir George Smart was conductor.

September 24th 1830

A dinner was held at the Corn Exchange, Norwich, to celebrate the return of Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., and Sir William, ffolkes, M.P.

September 25th 1830

Mr. Braham appeared at Norwich Theatre as Henry Bartram (“Guy Mannering”).

October 2nd 1830

Malibran appeared at Norwich Theatre, in the character of Susanna (“The Marriage of Figaro”).

October 4th 1830

A twin packet was launched from the shipyard of Mr. John Lubbock, at Wells-next-the-Sea. “She may justly be called a twin steamer, having two stems and two stern posts, with a tunnel passing through the middle ingeniously constructed so as to make her very stiff and of an easy draught of water. The vessel was built for the Aire and Calder Navigation Company.”

October 9th 1830

A specimen of the _Ossifragus_, or small eagle, was shot at Barton Turf.

October 11th 1830

The new Beer Bill came into operation. At Lynn “the day was kept as a jubilee by all the devotees of Sir John Barleycorn. Nearly 50 new houses were opened for the sale of beer, and drunkenness, rioting, and fighting were prevalent in many of the streets.”

October 23rd 1830

Mr. J. G. Johnson was elected assistant-surgeon at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in place of Mr. B. H. Norgate, appointed one of the surgeons.

October 23rd 1830

A county meeting was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, at which it was decided to petition Parliament for the repeal of the duty on malt. Great disorder was occasioned by an operative in the gallery exhibiting a placard bearing the words, “Englishmen, remember the expensive and bloody reign of George III.”

November 2nd 1830

A common hall was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, for the purpose of petitioning the Legislature for the repeal of the duty on coals. The requisition had been signed wholly by persons of the “Purple and Orange” party, much opposition resulted, and the meeting dissolved in confusion.

November 10th 1830

Mr. Edward Hall Alderson, son of the Recorder of Norwich, and Mr. John Patteson, son of the Rev. Henry Patteson, of Drinkstone, Suffolk, and nephew of Mr. Alderman Patteson, of Norwich, were appointed Judges of the High Court.

November 10th 1830

On this date began the machine-breaking riots and stack firing, which gradually extended over the greater part of the county. The first fire occurred on the farm of Mr. J. Hill, of Briston, and a reward of £1,000 was offered by Sir Jacob Astley for the discovery of the offenders. On the 16th a mob destroyed the agricultural machinery belonging to Mr. John Girling, of Paston. The outrages became so numerous that the principal agriculturists got rid of their threshing-machines, and Col. Wodehouse, the Lieutenant of the County, issued a circular to the magistrates, requesting them to swear in special constables in every parish. At Melton Constable, on the 22nd, it was feared that an attack would be made upon the Hall, but the gentlemen in the neighbourhood went to the assistance of Sir Jacob Astley, and, meeting the rioters at Hindolvestone, seized the ringleaders and conveyed them to Walsingham Bridewell. Another mob assembled on the 23rd, and further arrests were made. The High Sheriff (the Hon. G. J. Milles), anticipating a further attack, despatched a messenger to Elmham Park, requesting the assistance of the gentlemen of the Norfolk Hunt, who had a meet there that day. The summons was immediately obeyed, and the horsemen, on arriving at Melton Constable, dispersed the rioters and made several arrests. The same day detachments of the 1st Royal Dragoons were sent from Norwich to do duty in the disturbed districts. At Norwich, on the 29th, the mob destroyed the sawmills of Mr. Calver, at New Catton, and the looms at Messrs. Willett’s factory in St. Martin’s, and broke the windows of the silk factory. The Sheriffs and the magistrates were in daily and nightly attendance at the Guildhall, and the Chelsea pensioners in the city, to the number of 200, were called out to assist in preserving the peace. On December 4th the county of Norfolk was included in his Majesty’s proclamation, offering a reward of £50 in respect of every person convicted of any outrage upon property. At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, held on December 18th, two Committees were appointed, one for East and the other for West Norfolk, “to arrange and put the constabulary force on the most efficient footing to preserve the peace and protect the persons and property of the inhabitants of the county.” The thanks of the Court were given to the 1st Royals for their services, and to the Mayor and magistrates of Norwich for their cordial co-operation with the county authorities in the suppression of the disturbances.

November 20th 1830

A whale, which had stranded upon a sandbank four miles below the harbour, was landed on the common staith at King’s Lynn. “It was placed on two trucks, dragged by six horses, and measured 21 ft. 3 in. in length, and 13 ft. 6 in. in circumference.”

November 25th 1830

Mr. Robert Grant, one of the members for Norwich, having accepted the office of Judge Advocate under the new Administration, a fresh election was rendered necessary, and the writ was received on this date. The right hon. gentleman was returned unopposed on November 30th. He was afterwards appointed a Government Commissioner for the affairs of India.

December 6th 1830

Died at his house, St. Giles’ Terrace, Norwich, Joseph Stannard, artist. 11*.—“On Sunday, November 7th, were deposited in Lakenham churchyard the remains of Elizabeth Watts, aged 24 years; and on the 28th of the same month a brother of the deceased died. He expressed the wish to be buried in the same grave with his sister. It was found that the grave had been opened and the body of the sister taken away. The shroud remained.”

December 11th 1830

Died, in consequence of a fall from his horse, the Very Rev. Edward Mellish, M.A., formerly of Trinity College, Cambridge, rector of East Tuddenham, vicar of Honingham, and Dean of Hereford.

December 16th 1830

Died at Costessey, Captain William Bolton, R.N., eldest son of the Rev. William Bolton, “and one of the few surviving Norfolk heroes who accompanied Nelson in his deeds of fame.”

December 18th 1830

It was announced that Mr. Robert Alderson had resigned the Recordership of Norwich. Mr. Isaac Preston, Steward of the city, was, on the 23rd, appointed to fill the vacancy. Mr. Fitzroy Kelly was appointed Steward on February 3rd, and presented with the freedom of the city on April 29th, 1831.

December 18th 1830

Official notification was given of the completion of the Gas Works at Bishop Bridge, Norwich, and of the extended service of gas in the city.

December 24th 1830

A frost commenced on Christmas-eve, and became so intense that in the course of forty-eight hours the mill-streams and rivers were frozen over, and navigation between Norwich and Yarmouth was obstructed by ice. On the night of the 26th the thermometer fell to zero, “a degree of cold never before observed in this country.” On the 27th there was a sudden change, and on the 31st the thermometer stood at 48 degrees.

December 25th 1830

Died at Lakenham Grove, aged 74, Mr. Joseph Gurney, banker, of Norwich. At the funeral in the Gildencroft burial-ground, “Mr. J. J. Gurney and Mrs. Fry offered up impressive prayers.”