January 1st 1829
Died, aged 76, Mr. Philip Meadows Martineau, one of the surgeons of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital from its foundation in 1772. “Pre-eminently successful as an operator, and most intimately acquainted with the theory of his profession, Mr. Martineau was celebrated in every part of England and throughout Europe. He directed his attention to cases of lithotomy with distinguished success.” He was buried at Thorpe, on January 9th.
January 10th 1829
Cockey Lane, Norwich, was for the first time accorded its new designation, “London Street.”
January 14th 1829
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, it was ordered that the east end of Norwich Castle, including the south end buttress, be put into proper repair, at an expense not exceeding the sum of £600.
January 17th 1829
“The sales at Garraway’s and the Auction Mart of landed estates in Norfolk last year exceed £110,000. The principal Norfolk estates sold in London during the last 12 months were as follow:—Wellington Hall, 1,724 acres, with house, gardens, &c., £41,000; Clippesby Hall 1,100 acres, with house, &c., £48,110; Mr. Watson’s estate at Saxlingham, 137 acres, with house, &c., £7,000.”
January 21st 1829
A meeting of the medical practitioners of the city and county was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, “to petition the Legislature upon the increasing difficulties of pursuing anatomical studies in the public schools.”
January 31st 1829
Mr. Alexander Thurtell, nephew of the Mayor of Norwich, was returned fourth wrangler at Cambridge. He was of Caius College, and was educated by Mr. Bowles (formerly of Norwich Theatre), at the Academy, Yarmouth.
January 31st 1829
Norwich Theatre was opened for the season. Mons. Decour, a “strong man,” exhibited feats of strength and juggling.
January 31st 1829
A disastrous fire occurred on the premises of Messrs. Trivett and Cozens, ironmongers, Exchange Street, Norwich. The 12th Lancers rendered efficient service in saving adjoining property. The NORFOLK CHRONICLE Office narrowly escaped destruction.
February 7th 1829
“So great is the panic in Lynn in the minds of the credulous with reference to the resurrectionists, that an individual who was consigned to the grave had round his coffin 13 iron hoops, and in the lid 50 screws.”
February 9th 1829
A brig of 100 tons burden was “raised” at Mr. T. Batley’s staith at Carrow, Norwich. Upon the stem of the vessel was the inscription: “This is the first seaborne vessel that was ever built in Norwich. Began January, 1829, by Thomas Batley, and the first bolt was driven by C. Brown, Esq., Alderman of this city.” The vessel, which was named the Spring (Capt. Brook), was launched on May 28th. She had two masts, brig-rigged fore and schooner-rigged aft, and was intended for the general trade.
February 11th 1829
Downham Theatre was opened by Mr. Smedley, in consequence of Mr. Fisher declining that portion of the circuit. “The painting of the ceiling, together with the panelling and ornaments in front of the boxes and gallery, have a very lively effect, and give it the appearance of a neat and modern theatre.”
February 14th 1829
Heigham House, Norwich, was opened under the management of Mr. Jollye, formerly of Loddon, as a retreat for insane persons.
February 14th 1829
An extraordinary marriage took place at Yarmouth. A boy, 15 years of age, the son of a respectable tradesman, absconded from his home and married a Mrs. Bull, a widow, aged 43, the mother of five children. “The fact was ascertained by application to the Rev. Thomas Browne, D.D., at Gorleston.”
February 15th 1829
Lieut.-Col. Harvey conveyed to London a petition signed by 8,920 of the inhabitants of Norwich against the claims of the Roman Catholics. It was presented in due course in the House of Commons. On the 17th the Mayor and Aldermen, and the members of the Common Council of Norwich, adopted petitions in favour of the Roman Catholic claims.
February 21st 1829
The “African Roscius” (known also by the name of Keene) appeared at Norwich Theatre as Othello. On subsequent evenings he performed the parts of Mungo (“The Padlock”), Oroonoko, Bajazet (“Tamerlane”), Rolla (“Pizzaro”), Alambra (“Paul and Virginia”), and Sambo (“Live when you can”).
February 28th 1829
“In the Court of Exchequer, last week, an information was filed against Robert Hudson, a paper manufacturer, of Norwich, for arrears of duty on a quantity of paper removed from a mill at Lyng without bearing the Excise mark. A verdict was returned for the Crown—damages, £300. The defendant is now in prison on a former conviction for penalties to the amount of £1,000.”
March 5th 1829
The Westacre Staghounds had a remarkable run. The meet was at Watton, where the stag was turned off, and led a field of between 60 and 70 to Ovington, Shipdham, Whinbergh, over Reymerston Common, touching Southbergh, to Carbrooke, crossing Griston Common, to Thompson Heath. Here there was a short check, which was hit off in good style, and away they went for Tottington, on to Wretham, leaving the decoy on the left, thence to Kilverstone and Brettenham Heaths, to the left of Croxton, and to the River Ouze, which was crossed between Santon Downham and Thetford. Only nine horsemen forded the river; they dashed away across the open in the direction of Barton Mills, where another check occurred. They then passed over Wangford Warren to Lakenheath Common, straight for Bramber Hall, and the stag was killed in the plantations of Mr. Edward Bliss, after a run of three hours and three-quarters. (The hounds were advertised to be sold at the first Newmarket meeting, April 22nd.)
March 22nd 1829
Died at Diss, aged 105 years 6 months, Mrs. Philip Bacon.
March 23rd 1829
A prize-fight took place at Thurton, between Garratt, the Suffolk champion, and Mendham, the Norfolk Youth, for £10 a side. They were also backed for £25. Mendham was seconded by Ned Painter, and Garratt by Wigg. Thirty-five rounds were fought in 1 hour 25 mins. Garratt was the winner. “The crowd to view the fight was very large, and consisted of a due mixture of the sexes.”
April 8th 1829
Died at Shotesham, Mr. Robert Fellowes, aged 87. He was for many years an active magistrate of the county, and represented Norwich in Parliament from 1802 to 1806.
April 13th 1829
Two troops of the 7th Dragoon Guards, under the command of Capt. Nugent, arrived at Norwich, to replace the 12th Lancers, ordered to York.
April 18th 1829
The execution took place on Castle Hill, Norwich, of John Wood (41) and Thomas Butler (29), for sheep stealing, and of Richard Everett (28), for horse stealing. “The number of women present amounted to at least two to one man, and, what was yet more remarkable, crowds of women brought young children with them.”
April 20th 1829
Miss Foote, of Drury Lane Theatre, commenced an engagement at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, where she appeared as Letitia Hardy (“The Belle’s Stratagem”), Variella (“The Weathercock”), Rosalind, Zephyrina (“The Lady and the Devil”), Violante (“The Wonder”), Arinette (“The Little Jockey”), Beatrice, and Maria Darlington (“A Roland for an Oliver”).
April 21st 1829
A vessel of 313 tons was launched from the yard of Messrs. H. Fellows and Co., Yarmouth.
April 23rd 1829
A new suspension bridge, erected over the Bure at Yarmouth, by Mr. Robert Cory, jun., was opened with much ceremony. The contractor was Mr. Godfrey Goddard. (_See_ May 2nd, 1845.)
May 1st 1829
Mr. T. O. Springfield was elected Mayor of Norwich.
May 3rd 1829
The freedom of Norwich was conferred upon Mr. Edward Hall Alderson, barrister-at-law, eldest son of Mr. Robert Alderson, Recorder of the city.
May 3rd 1829
The Norwich Corporation voted a grant of £100 to the Norfolk and Suffolk Artists’ Society, “to assist in enabling them to enlarge their premises and to purchase casts and models, with the view to the further promotion of the fine arts in this part of the country.”
May 3rd 1829
An illuminated clock was ordered to be placed “on the top of the Guildhall, next the Market Place.”
May 14th 1829
The body of a woman named Gooderham was found murdered in Broome Lane, Diss. After an inquiry lasting six days, during which 41 witnesses were examined, the Coroner’s jury returned a verdict of “Wilful murder against some person or persons unknown.”
May 20th 1829
Died, aged 71, Mr. John Dawson Downes, of Lowestoft (formerly of Yarmouth), “a gentleman well known to the sporting world, and in this county as the only constant follower of that noble diversion, hawking.”
May 23rd 1829
[Advt.] “Cocking: A double-day’s play of cocking will be fought between the gentlemen of Swaffham and Wisbech, on Wednesday, May 27th, at the Coffee Pot Inn, Downham, for £10 a battle and £50 the odd. Feeders: Leech for Swaffham; Foster for Wisbech.”
May 28th 1829
The bounds were beaten at Lynn by the clergyman, churchwardens, and officers of the parish, accompanied by 236 boys from the Free School. “The place of rendezvous was St. Margaret’s church, where, on entering, each boy was supplied with a long white-wand. At ten o’clock the procession set out for the shore of the harbour, and at the expiration of two hours returned again to the same place, having performed the usual evolutions of ducking, tubbing, and other ceremonies peculiar to such occasions. The boundaries of this place appear to terminate in some very singular points, as the parties had to enter several houses by the door and make their exit through the window. At the close of the circuit, the boys were all seated in the Crown Yard and regaled with a large plum bun and half a pint of beer each, and the elders dined at the Crown Tavern.”
May 31st 1829
At Norwich Theatre was performed, for the first time, a tragedy written by Mr. J. Smith, entitled, “Ralph de Bigod, Earl of Norwich.”
June 3rd 1829
The old City Gaol, situate opposite the Guildhall, with a frontage of 70 feet and a depth of 156 feet, was sold by auction to Messrs. De Caux, Son, and Pratt, for £1,570; and the old Bridewell, in St. Andrew’s, with a frontage of 64 feet and a depth of 100 feet, was purchased on the same date by Mr. J. Curr, for £1,140.
June 9th 1829
Miss Paton appeared at Norwich Theatre as Rosetta (“Love in a Village”). Her other impersonations during her engagement included Rosina (“The Barber of Seville”), Susanna (“The Marriage of Figaro”), Mary Copp (“Charles the Second”), Roxalana (“The Sultan”). Miss Paton cleared £140 at her benefit performance.
June 15th 1829
At an assembly of the Norwich Corporation, the retiring Mayor (Mr. Thurtell), in replying to the customary vote of thanks, complained that he had been repeatedly insulted during his year of office. “I have been attacked by a bulldog,” he said, “and the yap has been continually barking at my heels, and language has been applied to me that would disgrace Billingsgate itself.”
June 16th 1829
Guild Day at Norwich. Mr. T. O. Springfield was sworn in as Mayor. Great confusion was caused by an altercation between Mr. Thurtell and Mr. Crisp Brown. The Guild feast was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, and a ball took place at the Assembly Rooms.
June 18th 1829
The Rev. H. R. Bowles (formerly of Norwich Theatre), master of the Yarmouth Academy, was entertained at luncheon at the Black Lion Tavern in that town, and presented by his former pupils with a silver salver weighing 84 ozs. In his reply, he said that far different pursuits had occupied his earlier years, but for twenty years he had never been absent a day from his school-room for pleasure.
June 29th 1829
The annual cattle fair held at Shipdham, on St. Peter’s-day, in accordance with the terms of a charter granted by Henry III., was this year revived.
July 1st 1829
Died at his house in Surrey Street, Mr. Hammond Fisk, aged 70, Sheriff of Norwich in 1823.
July 11th 1829
“Died lately, at Keel Hall, Staffordshire, aged 78, Mr. Walter Sneyd, formerly M.P. for the borough of Castle Rising, and many years Colonel of the Stafford Militia.”
July 11th 1829
Died at Hanworth, Mr. J. Hicks, formerly of his Majesty’s Navy, and Provost-Marshal-General of England, aged 69.
July 13th 1829
A two days’ cricket match commenced on the Norwich ground, between Norfolk and Suffolk, for £50 aside. Fuller Pilch played for Suffolk, and William and Nathaniel Pilch for Norfolk. Norfolk, 53—82. Suffolk,
July 15th 1829
At Norwich Quarter Sessions, Mr. William Day was elected Treasurer of the city, on the resignation of Mr. J. Patteson.
July 15th 1829
A public dinner was given to Mr. Alderman Thurtell, by his political friends, “in testimony of their appreciation of his honourable, impartial, and upright conduct in the discharge of the duties of the office of Mayor during the past year.”
July 18th 1829
Madame Vestris appeared at Norwich Theatre for the first time, in the part of Madame Germance (“Home, sweet Home”), and Justine (“The Rencontre”). She afterwards assumed the characters of Elizabeth (“Sublime and Beautiful”), Victoire (“The Invincibles”), Lady Bell (“Know your own Mind”), Apollo (burletta of “Midas”), Laura (“Sweethearts and Wives”), Phœbe (“Paul Pry”), Letitia Hardy (“The Belle’s Stratagem”), and Don Giovanni.
July 27th 1829
Great discontent was manifested by the Norwich weavers. At a meeting held at the Ranelagh Gardens on this date, the operatives petitioned the Mayor to use his influence to prevent manufacturers giving out work at reduced prices to persons in the country. On September 1st the weavers stopped the carriers’ carts and searched for country-made goods. Men in disguise entered houses and took work from the looms, under pretence that it had been done below the scale prices. At a meeting at Ranelagh Gardens on October 5th, the manufacturers and operatives drew up a form of agreement, in which the prices were scheduled. At the end of the month many unemployed weavers paraded the streets, headed by a muffled drum and a shuttle bound in crope. The Court of Guardians on December 1st appointed a committee to advise as to the best means of alleviating the wants of the people. During the week commencing December 14th there were numerous meetings of operatives, and an attack was made on Mr. Athow’s house. Detachments of the 7th Dragoon Guards patrolled the streets. On December 17th a number of Norwich weavers visited Saxlingham and destroyed a great quantity of silk and materials; and in the following week several disguised men broke into the house of William Springhall, Boatswain’s Call Yard, St. Augustine’s, cut work from his looms, and shot at him with a pistol. He received severe wounds in the body, and a reward of £100 was offered by the Corporation for the apprehension of his assailants.
August 6th 1829
A cricket match, between the Marylebone and the Norfolk Clubs, commenced on the Dereham ground. “Lord Suffield, president of the county club, with Lady Suffield, was present, and 20 or 30 gentlemen’s carriages were on the ground, whilst hundreds of spectators were gathered around.” Scores: Marylebone, 64-78; Norfolk, 95-48.
August 10th 1829
Miss Paton re-appeared at Norwich Theatre for one night, as Agnes (“Der Freischutz”) and Diana Vernon (“Rob Roy”).
August 11th 1829
Died, Mr. Richard Gurney, of the Bowling Green Inn, Norwich, aged 48. (The “retired coachman, with one leg,” in “Lavengro.”)
August 13th 1829
At the Norfolk Assizes, at Norwich, before Mr. Baron Garrow, Ireland Watts and Robert Watts were charged on an information filed by the Attorney-General, with obstructing Custom-house officers in the discharge of their duty. Capt. De Lafosse, the officer at Mundesley, traced contraband goods to the house of the defendants at Antingham. Having obtained a writ of assistance, he proceeded to the house with Lieut. Lee, several of the coastguard, and a peace officer. Admittance was demanded, and the defendants offered resistance. The captain then drew his pistol and threatened to fire, when Robert Watts bared his breast, exclaiming, “Fire, and be d---d.” Capt. De Lafosse, fearing he could not enter the house without bloodshed, withdrew his men. Mr. Kelly, for the defence, submitted that the captain’s authority did not permit him to search the house, but the special jury returned a verdict of guilty. In the Court of King’s Bench, in November, Mr. Kelly moved for a rule to show why there should not be a new trial, on the ground of the invalidity of the officer’s writ. Lord Tenterden held that this might be a question of great importance on public grounds, although in the individual case it was of little consequence. Rule granted. (There is no further record of this case.)
August 14th 1829
At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Parke, John Stratford (42) was found guilty of the murder of John Burgess, an inmate of Norwich Workhouse, by poisoning him with arsenic, on March 2nd. The execution took place on the roof of the new Gaol, on August 17th. After hanging an hour, the body was removed to the lower court at the Guildhall, where it was publicly exposed for two hours. Thence it was conveyed to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, where Mazzotti, the modeller, took a cast of the head; and on the 18th Mr. Crosse commenced a series of anatomical lectures at the dissection of the body. A public subscription was started for the widow and family of the culprit.
August 25th 1829
Mr. Charles Middleton and Mr. Samuel Shalders Beare were nominated for the office of freemen’s Sheriff. At the poll “the partizans of Mr. Beare announced upon their cards that they gave one shilling, but as soon as they found that their opponents were giving 2s. 6d., they outbid the ‘Purples’ by offering 2s. 6d. and a pot of beer. At three o’clock the ‘Purple and Orange’ party headed their opponents by 64. The ‘Blues’ went to work in purse and person, and placed themselves in a majority. The ‘Purples,’ finding they could not regain the advantage, at 5.30 informed the Mayor they did not wish to put their opponents to any further expense. Beare, 1,200; Middleton, 1,023.”
August 25th 1829
A singular wedding took place at Fakenham. The bridegroom was Thomas Hudson, aged 79, and the bride Martha Frary, aged 21. They were followed to church by an unfortunate cripple, driving his curricle of dogs. Immediately after the hymeneal knot was tied, the bridegroom was torn from his fainting partner, thrown into an open cart, decorated with ram’s horns, and drawn through the principal streets of the town, amidst the firing of guns and the shouts and ridicule of the people.
August 29th 1829
The Corporation of Lynn, according to custom, assembled at the Guildhall on St. John’s-day, and went to St. Margaret’s Church. “Groups of persons assembled at an early hour to witness the bearing of the branch to the house of the Mayor-elect, Mr. William Bagge.”
September 2nd 1829
The new Roman Catholic church of All Saints, Norwich, was opened by the Right Rev. Dr. Weld, Bishop of Amyclœ. “The ringing of the bells of St. Giles’ church on the occasion has been made the subject of a great deal more exultation on the one hand, and more lamentation and indignation on the other, than it really merits. The truth is that the bells were set out by the ringers upon speculation, and they were afterwards handsomely rewarded by the Catholics for their liberalism, the venality of which is disgusting enough.”
September 4th 1829
The body of a woman, named Ann Coe, buried two days previously, in Fincham churchyard, was disinterred and stolen. “The churchyard is _very near the turnpike road_. The coffin, containing the shroud, was found in the churchyard, superficially covered with mold.”
September 8th 1829
The Corporation of Yarmouth voted £1,000 towards the building of a church in that borough.
September 11th 1829
An auxiliary of the “British Society for Promoting the Principles of the Reformation” was formed in Norwich. Under its auspices a great meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, on October 21st, at which some disturbance took place.
September 21st 1829
The Rev. Edward Valpy, D.D., resigned the appointment of headmaster of the Norwich Free Grammar School, which he had held since 1811.
September 23rd 1829
Mary McMullen, aged 61, walked 76 miles in 24 hours, on a measured half-mile of the Gaywood Road near Lynn. She performed the like feat at the Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, on October 12th, and at North Walsham on March 8th, 1830. At the Ranelagh Gardens, on April 26th, 1830, she walked 100 miles in 24 successive hours.
October 8th 1829
At Swaffham Races, Mr. Shearman “made a match to trot his noted bull a mile in 4½ minutes the day before the fair, and Mr. Gould is in treaty to purchase him to run over a short stage in the Stamford coach from Swaffham to Narborough. Mr. Farrer made a match with Mr. Cooke that he will produce a pair of working oxen that will beat any pair of horses he can produce to plough an acre of land, to take place the day before Swaffham fair.”
October 11th 1829
Died in Union Place, Norwich, aged 102, Mr. Charles Kingaby. He left a widow, aged 98, and a daughter in her 70th year.
October 14th 1829
The election of an Alderman to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Alderman Steward, on October 11th, resulted in the return of Mr. Marshall, who received 246 votes, against 207 recorded for Mr. Turner. “Both sides bought votes as fast as possible. From 30s. to £10 and £15 was given.”
October 14th 1829
A severe gale occurred on the Norfolk coast, and several lives were lost. At Brancaster the preventive service picked up 291 casks of brandy and Geneva.
October 20th 1829
A new vessel, the Indian Maid, was launched from the South Gates Dockyard, Lynn, and christened by Miss Ayre, daughter of one of the owners.
October 22nd 1829
The Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society was formed at a meeting held in the old Library Room, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. Edward Lombe, of Great Melton. Mr. Lombe was elected president, Mr. R. Crawshay vice-president, Mr. John Kitson treasurer, and Mr. Elias Norgate secretary. The first show took place at the Swan Inn, on November 25th.
October 30th 1829
A fire which occurred at Messrs. Squire, Hills, and Sons’ distillery, Norwich, did damage to the amount of £2,000.
October 31st 1829
Mr. Thomas Cubitt, of Honing Hall, was presented by the yeomanry of the Tunstead and Happing Hundred with a silver vase, in recognition of his 45 years’ active service as a magistrate.
November 9th 1829
Died at Aldborough, aged 95, Mrs. E. Dyball, a remarkable woman, “who practised as midwife at Thurgarton near 50 years, and left 148 children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren, besides 42 who have died” (_sic_).
November 17th 1829
A 400-ton vessel, called the Duke of Cumberland, was launched from the dockyard of Mr. F. Preston, at Yarmouth.
November 18th 1829
A gang of convicts, when travelling by coach from Lynn to London, made a desperate effort to escape. During the greater part of the journey the keepers stood over them with cocked pistols. On the coach arriving in town a London mob endeavoured to rescue the prisoners, “but the keepers presented so formidable an appearance that they were able to lodge the convicts in Newgate previous to their removal to the hulks.”
November 20th 1829
Mr. Silvers, tide surveyor at Yarmouth, after a chase of five miles, captured on Breydon a 39 ft. smuggling galley, manned by a crew of nine hands. The smugglers effected their escape, but left behind them 283 half ankers of proof brandy, and about 6,000 lbs. of tobacco.
November 23rd 1829
The centre and south wing of Cromer Hall, the seat of Mr. Geo. Windham, was destroyed by fire. The damage was estimated at £12,000.
November 24th 1829
During a severe gale off Yarmouth, a vessel foundered, and eight hands perished.
November 28th 1829
The Rev. Thomas Kidd, M.A., Trinity College, Cambridge, was elected by the Court of Aldermen head master of the Free Grammar School, Norwich.
December 13th 1829
Died at East Dereham, aged 85, Mr. James Philo, who had filled the office of parish clerk for fifty years. (“The dignified High Church clerk” in “Lavengro.”)
December 21st 1829
The _Crim. Con._ action, Muskett _v._ Gurney, tried at the Thetford Assizes in 1818, was re-opened in the Court of King’s Bench, when further evidence was adduced on behalf of the plaintiff, to whom the jury awarded £2,000 damages. (May 17th, 1830: “Married, at St. Mary’s, Marylebone, Richard Hanbury Gurney, to Mary, only daughter of Mr. William Jary, of Burlingham.”)
December 21st 1829
A meeting of 200 insurers in the Norwich Equitable Insurance Office was held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, “for the purpose of taking into consideration the conduct and management of the funds of the society, and of dissolving the institution, with the view of the just redistribution of the funds, the formation of a new society under a more protective management and control.” Mr. Skipper was elected registrar and secretary of the new society.
December 26th 1829
The pantomime, “Punch’s Festival, or Harlequin Christmas-box,” was produced at Norwich Theatre, under the superintendence of Mr. T. Hill, of Drury Lane Theatre. Mr. Thorne painted “a grand moving panorama, commencing with a view of the intended Port of Norwich (ships lying in the basin), leading through the valley of Thorpe, embracing Col. Harvey’s house (Thorpe Hall), Hinsby’s Gardens, and intermediate scenery to Lake Lothing, and concluded with the grand junction lock at Lowestoft in its present state.” The last scene, “Norwich a Port,” concluded with “a grand display of fireworks by Chevalier Southby, of the Royal Gardens, Vauxhall, and the London theatres.”
December 28th 1829
Died at Lynn, Mr. Benjamin Smith, aged 93. “He was a man of rather eccentric habits. His gravestone had been placed in the churchyard of St. Margaret’s nearly ten years before his death, having only a blank for his age and day of decease. In his personal habits he was frugal almost to parsimony, but his benevolence was only bound by his means. He entirely rebuilt St. James’s almshouses for 12 widows, and an abode for the Reader; and erected and partly endowed another almshouse (called the Wesleyan almshouse) for six poor women.”